Page 339 of 428 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339340341342343349389 ... LastLast
Results 16,901 to 16,950 of 21373
    mtbr member

Nice cycling weather

More signs of spring:

It hailed today though. Grass is greening and kids are out on their bikes, including 'kids' who are AARP members.

https://youtu.be/zr05sycpBzc

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks for the boost, still no signs of spring here! OK, that is not totally accurate, there is a 4'x20' area of my lawn that is not snow covered, and I have seen a robin, a red-winged blackbird, and some Canada geese (they took a U turn since the Dix reservoir had no open water).

Snow today midday, so the ride in was nice and clean at 20F, and the ride home was messy at around freezing. A net gain of an inch or two at my house.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Beautiful and half way warm today. 63F by the time I got to work. Stopped at the bike shop to refill my water bottle, cool down and remove my arm warmers which were not needed and look at the floor pumps. Will be investing in a decent floor pump soon. The wind is just kicking my butt and making the rides less than enjoyable. The ride home was much the same, decent at 42F but windy as hell again. Rethinking my rear light set up as feel vulnerable at night with just one blinker, be it as bright as it is. Going to try running a dual tomorrow night.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3967/6000

weirdo
    Well, it definitely isn`t winter here, but not many blue birds either- they`ve all blown away. Got a few hours of sloppy wet snow late last week.

A friend asked me about a bike for commuting- he has no DL and has been walking about a mile each way to work. Looks like I found a home for a rigid mtb that I bought and stashed out back a few years ago. And found a project, too . I scrounged a stem and flat bar for him that seems to fit well, have a nice set of Deore thumbies + Dia Compe brake levers to go on them. Did the wheels today, will strip tomorrow and start cleaning de-grunging parts. Need to order brake pads. Anybody tried these?
    Amazon.com : Avid 20R V-Brake Pads : Bike Brake Pad Inserts : Sports & Outdoors
    It says "One left in stock", but for that price, I bet one pad is plenty.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Today was great! Sunny and a balmy 6 deg Celsius. No discernible wind either. Fist time back on the bike for three weeks and loving every minute of it!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Ha! You will be squealing instead of the brakes if you buy those!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    More signs of spring:
    Us too, we had April showers here today... Except they were snow showers. None of our gardens with bulbs aren't clear of snow yet but we're getting closer. The temps this week make me think that yesterday's lake crossing may be the last. The lake is actually holding pretty well but the trails aren't. Scary receding frost too.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    It says "One left in stock", but for that price, I bet one pad is plenty.
    I think I'd be buying new brakes if I had to replace those. I should look in my junk parts drawers, maybe I've got a $50 ebay item.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 04-07-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Aren't clear of snow :) Very different.

mtbr member
    Decent commute this AM. Windy as all get out last evening and windy this AM in the valley. Light rain in town right now. Hoping that goes away before this afternoon as I was planning to button up my work early and put in some miles, but that might just have to wait.

Being back on the Farley is nice. I still have a few adjustments to make, but overall it's good. The front brake is dragging just a touch, it seems. That or the rotor is warped. I'd take it to the shop, but they are so swamped right now that it'd take them forever to look at it.

Might be able to get in some more snow rides this year if I travel up. Thinking Saturday I might head up to the mountains and see what is what. I know that one of the XC skiing areas is still being groomed, though that is scheduled to end tomorrow excepts for when the elite skiers come back from doing their thing around the world and if there is snow up there in May still. I have a sneaking suspicion that there won't be much up there at the rate we're going.

mtbr member
    At some point over the weekend I lubed one of my chains, and tossed the bottle back into my pannier. So this morning I discover a pannier that is completely sodden with at least a couple of ounces of chainsaw bar oil.

Suddenly my strategy of having one pannier for clothes/lunch/wallet and the other for tools/tube/lights/chainlube seems brilliant. (it's actually just so that I have one pannier to bring along on weekend rides and one to leave at home)

Otherwise a pleasant first-ever commute on my gryphon with its summer tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was able to squeak in my morning commute before the rain hit again. Thunderstorms are supposed to be more spotty in the afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers. I guess the good news is that it was 60F on the way in and is only going to get warmer.

In other news, some people added more coyote decoys to the property behind their buildings. I don't know what this company does. They seem to own three indiscreet buildings with barbed wire in the back. I never see cars in their parking lots, but I saw a security vehicle on patrol the other day and every once in a while I see someone leaving the complex or picking up the mail. The fake coyotes are a strange touch too, and someone apparently moves them from time to time.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    At some point over the weekend I lubed one of my chains, and tossed the bottle back into my pannier. So this morning I discover a pannier that is completely sodden with at least a couple of ounces of chainsaw bar oil.
    Whoops! I had a bottle of water lose its top to vibrations inside my handlebar bag once. Not as messy as bar oil I`m sure, but besides being down one bottle worth of water, my sandwiches were swimming. You really carry a whole pannier just for maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    The fake coyotes are a strange touch too, and someone apparently moves them from time to time.
    Maybe they`re just very lazy coyotes, not fakes.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    You really carry a whole pannier just for maintenance?
    Volume-wise it's mostly-empty, but yeah.

Tube, chaintool, bag of spare quicklinks, a couple of junk straps, tire levers, spoke wrench, chainring wrench, hollowtech nubbin, normal patch kit, tubeless homebrew lazy patchkit, chain length checker, hex keys, torx key, grease, electrical tape, rag & toothbrush, minipump, chainlube, thin cable for locking the wheels, spare liner gloves and chemical handwarmers (will be going away soon), merino beanie, and lights.

A lot of it is because I randomly have the urge to do bike adjustments when I'm out riding. And I've been a good samaritan a bunch of times (I just gave away my 6th quicklink last week).

Every so often I try to pull something out - I got rid of a a small crescent wrench that I used to carry - but generally it's like why bother? There's already so much stuff that one or two items won't make a difference.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Haven't been commuting much...busy with life. I did get to commute yesterday and today, also voted on the way to work.

Bummer, I can't seem to direct link from Facewaste anymore...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Haven't been commuting much...busy with life. I did get to commute yesterday and today, also voted on the way to work.

Bummer, I can't seem to direct link from Facewaste anymore...
    I haven't commuted by bike since I fixed my car. Sad really. Bikes been inside collecting dust. I told my gf I'm gonna spend some money doing maintenance on it so I can ride again to which she replied "no you aren't, you don't have time for that" like hell I do, I don't care if the ride to work now is crap vs the 15 mile ride through downtown it used to be (its now a 5 mile ride down one road)

I'll make it worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r View Post
    I haven't commuted by bike since I fixed my car. Sad really. Bikes been inside collecting dust. I told my gf I'm gonna spend some money doing maintenance on it so I can ride again to which she replied "no you aren't, you don't have time for that" like hell I do, I don't care if the ride to work now is crap vs the 15 mile ride through downtown it used to be (its now a 5 mile ride down one road)

I'll make it worth it.

Hmm...time for a new girlfriend?

I kid, I kid. I know that there are lots of times that the wife would like to see me stop bike commuting just because of the time involved, but the overall money saved makes up for that. I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Haha she doesn't think I'll willingly ride to work when I have a perfectly functioning car.

I do want to get a roof rack for my car so I can take my bike to south mountain in phoenix. Its a riot to drive up and down that road, so I can only imagine how much of a thrill it'll be running down hill at full speed on a bike

Lots of road bike people go up and down but they don't seem to be the type who would bomb down hill in jeans and a shirt at top speed. Boring folk

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides today, but felt a bit low energy on the way home, despite the nicer weather. The roads are in terrible shape, though, and it sounds like the planned "road diet" on part of my route (which would pare a scary 2 lane section down to one plus bike lane) may be delayed due to budget. In other news, a violent rapist is being released in the area after serving over 20 years for a local attack, and refusing any treatment the whole while. His previous attack may have been the result of him somehow causing flat tires on the woman's car. Ugh! Rapist’s release generates concern *:*Times Argus Online

mtbr member
    ^ that sucks.

And I actually had to detour tonight because my route was closed because a body was found: Body found on riverbank near Government House - Edmonton - CBC News

Also, I broke a bell. I think this is #3 for my career. When I first started riding offroad I broke two in newbie OTBs, and after that I started mounting them behind the bar instead of on top of it where it's so easily smashable. But today (after 5+ years without incident) I slammed my knee right into the bell and off it popped.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ride in was alright, wind at my back and a nice 53° F with the sun peeking out a little here and there. Really bad habit of stopping at the shop but today was a necessity, well, it wasn't but I did tighten up the chain tension and recenter the rear wheel. I am getting to the point where I can feel when the chain tension is not right, and I was spot on. The customer repair area is an absolute wonderful thing and because of it, their business has really increased. The forecast called for possible rain and thunderstorms but a low chance. Left work with it being 43° and the wind in my face. It startled sprinkling a little here and there, and then as I got on the MUP it became a light drizzle. Stopped by the time I pulled up to my apartment though. Storms and rain for Wednesday and Thursday and my legs are really sore so I am going to take a break I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Caught, passed and parked an E-bike on the way home yesterday.
    I don't really care if the other guy was racing me or not or if he cared or not.
    It made my day and that's all I'm bother about

CB of the East
    I got in a bonus lake crossing/trail ride this morning. The forecast was supposed to be above freezing for the foreseeable future so I thought I was done with that this year. 1-4" of snow is forecast for overnight but the weekend is looking amazing!

guy
    The forecast for every week day for the next two weeks is rain and potential thunderstorms....ugh. So I went ahead and rode in this morning and just dealt with the drizzle and fog. Glad I did. I just feel a lot better when I ride in the morning. Not riding home though. A friend and I are meeting our better halves after work for some rock climbing and then I'll pack my bike in my wife's car for the drive home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    that sucks.

And I actually had to detour tonight because my route was closed because a body was found: Body found on riverbank near Government House - Edmonton - CBC News
    Last summer I called in a body on the side of the trail here in Anchorage. They didn't shut the trail down. Then again, finding bodies along side the trails around here doesn't seem to be that strange of a thing, unfortunately.

Finished the day yesterday with a 13.5 miler to the bus and a 5 miler from the bus to home - with headwinds the whole time. Fun times. Today we're looking at rain and rain/snow mix. The morning ride was pretty good. We'll see what the afternoon brings. Maybe a blizzard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    More April showers here. Didn't ride yesterday because of the rainy forecast which turned out to be barely anything, so I decided to suck it up and ride today. I should really figure out some decent rain gear, it's the biggest reason the bike stays at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    More April showers here. Didn't ride yesterday because of the rainy forecast which turned out to be barely anything, so I decided to suck it up and ride today. I should really figure out some decent rain gear, it's the biggest reason the bike stays at home.
    You know, I've yet to find rain gear that works for me on the bike. What I find is that I either end up getting wet from the outside because it wets through so quickly or I get wet from the inside because it is so unbreathable that I steam like a bag of broccoli in the microwave.

What I've ended up doing when it is raining enough to warrant rain gear is:
    Feet - SealSkinz socks with a thin merino liner -or- a neoprene shoe cover

Legs - Pearl Izumi AmFib tight. If the temp is low enough, a light weight wool long john under. The AmFib is awesome for keeping the front of the legs dry for most rain situations and has enough insulation to keep me warm, even if damp

Top - poly base layer, mid-weight merino long sleeve sweater (I/O Bio merino cardigan I picked up at a thrift shop. Good stuff), shell jacket of some type with some DWR properties (I have a Marmot jacket I usually wear, but have to say it's duribility is sub-par. I also have a couple of North Face Summit Series light jackets that have a decent amount of water resistance and work well.)

Hands - Outdoor Research Versaliner shells - these are awesome! The liner glove itself is not my favorite, but the shell provides some good water and wind resistance. I do need to pick up a new pair as mine are two years old and are showing their age. The shell glove is probably one piece of gear that gets used in more conditions than any other I have. I'll throw them on over a thin liner down into the low twenties, wear them in the rain by themselves or with a liner, over a midweight liner (ragwool gloves) into the low teens, over the same midweight liner and then stuffed into a heavy weight shell like my BD Guide or Soloist mitt for temps into the low, low single digits.

Head - usually just a buff. I'll swap the wet one out for a dry one when I stop or get on the bus.

Truth be told, I'd much rather ride in -17F and snow than in rain at any temp. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    yesterday was sick! fresh snow, hit up the river trails rather than the bike paths and had some fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-11112721_10153177873598948_8628943580250789182_n.jpg  

How was your commute today?-11150536_10153176605503948_6320725775844332504_n.jpg  

2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I used to ride with rain pants/jacket/shoe covers. Like blockphi, I found that if I wasn't getting wet from the rain, I was getting wet from the gear. Now I do one of two things: use a rain cape/shoe covers if I'm going to be out in the rain for a significant (20+ minutes) amount of time, or wear what I normally would (wool buff, shorts, shirt, wool socks) with two minor changes. One is swapping the shirt for a very lightweight long sleeve, and two is an ultralight vented rain jacket (not waterproof by itself, DWR). I've noticed that if I don't use a long sleeve, I wind up getting soaked from the inside due to condensation. The bibs/shorts/socks are thin enough that they'll dry by themselves by the time I go to use them again, and I'll wad up some newspaper in my shoes to help speed things along.

If you're talking about mid 30s rain, I've never found anything that I'd be comfortable in all day riding. But the above works out well for mid 40s to mid 60s. Above that, I'll just get wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I tried to thread the needle last night, but I got wet. It was warm though, so it wasn't bad. The only excitement for the ride was I hitting a little flood mud that had been dry on my other rides. It was very much not dry this time and quite a bit squirmier than anticipated. Stayed up though.

More rain in the forecast today. It's only the 8th, but it's already #7 on the list of wettest Aprils. We need to ship some of this moisture to the west coast.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    As a fulltime Seattle bike commuter I think I am qualified to talk about riding in the rain

First you have to accept that you are going to get at least partially wet. Therefore you should focus on keeping the most important bits dry. For me it's my feet and my hands.

I wear a Showers Pass jacket (actually one of two based on the temperature). They breath relatively well and keep your upper body mostly dry.

Pearl Izumi elite tights. These just get wet. I tried lot's of brands of rain pants and never found any that I liked. IN the summer I wear shorts. My legs get wet and it's not a big deal.

Showers Pass Club Shoe covers. They do a great job keeping my feet dry.

I have a variety of gloves that I wear and cannot recommend a specific brand. They are all going to get wet in a good rain. The main thing is to bring a second pair for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys, I may just stick with what I have then. Mostly I just wear stuff that will dry out quickly, I can put stuff on hangers at work and even blow a fan at my gear so most synthetic stuff is fine after an 8 hour day.

I ended up not really getting rained on today anyway. Almost got hit by a car, but that's another story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've ridden in light rain a few times. What really sucks is not expecting it. Then you get home with a wet back and wet legs from all the water slinged off the tires (no fenders) that's the other thing that sucks in the rain, no fenders

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Last night - took the long way home and climbed up Holmenkollåsen (check it out on google if you've never seen it - it's Oslo's most popular tourist attraction. The good news is that the climb up one side of the hill gives you beautiful views over Oslofjord and then of course there is the descent too

This morning was an early start - I was on the bike for 0600. I was super tired when packing my bag this morning and subsequently found out that I forgot to pack shorts...

That's right - Ghost_HTX is coming at you commando...

Sorry...

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ been there, done that. I now have a clothes packing routine that has me adding shorts right after socks. No more commando for me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had to slam on the brakes big time for a dude on a cell phone. Less than 100 yards from where I work, there's a parking lot entrance/exit on the left side of the road just in front of a stop sign. This dude sort of stopped then pulled out directly in front of me and went pretty much all the way to the other side of the road. I was literally staring in his rear windshield. The guy behind him, a driver for Bumper to Bumper (a company that only seems to hire idiot drivers who don't see cyclists as legitimate human beings), cut me off after the turn. I kept my cool in the moment, but I was kind of pissed the rest of the ride.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_HTX View Post
    Last night - took the long way home and climbed up Holmenkollåsen (check it out on google if you've never seen it - it's Oslo's most popular tourist attraction. The good news is that the climb up one side of the hill gives you beautiful views over Oslofjord and then of course there is the descent too

This morning was an early start - I was on the bike for 0600. I was super tired when packing my bag this morning and subsequently found out that I forgot to pack shorts...

That's right - Ghost_HTX is coming at you commando...

Sorry...
    Pictures or it didn't happen....Holmenkollåsen, not the commando part

Speaking of pictures, here are some of the spring weather we are enjoying in Maine. The Candid Cyclist: Spring In Maine

mtbr member
    Crap ride home last night. Well, the ride wasn't too bad overall. Got some good miles in, but there was a "wintery mix" going on. Snow and rain - just not fun. Made it about 7 miles before I started to really wet through and then I was quite chilly for the bus ride and second leg of the commute - mostly my feet.

This morning was good. A bit chilly and breezy in the valley. A bit chilly with flurries in town. Ended up taking one of my longer routes this AM. Actually saw two other riders this AM. Not something I am used to in the mornings. Guess it is a sure sign that spring is on its way.

mtbr member
    Road my 29er over my new fat bike. Went a bit longer (dryer in the pm) route.... Lost 6 minutes from my time on my fat bike. Have a damn click in the crank again.......
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member
    Last night I rode from work to the Sarasota city hall (set up something like St. Paul/Minneapolis, or Bryan/College Station, large metro of two cities) for a transportation meeting regarding non motorized transport throughout the city. The fear mongers were out in full force, screaming that the city was looking to take away bike infrastructure and regulate bikes from the road completely. In reality, it was great to see what projects are in store, where the city is looking to fill some gaps, what their budgets are and what the timeline is for some of the big projects that everyone wants. Got interviewed for the local news, and the reporter couldn't wrap her head around the fact that I said "I don't own a car, so typically, if I go somewhere, I'm riding."

The ride home from the meeting was very humbling with headwinds that cut me down to size very quickly. I was struggling to maintain 13 mph on level ground in the drops. It was rough, lol.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Another really nice friday morning for coffeeoutside.

(one of the regulars is running in our farcical provincial election)

guy
    Damp and glorious. 20 mph tailwinds helped me set several PRs on the way in. 59F and not a lot of traffic either, so it was an outstanding ride to work. Hoping the wind dies down for the ride home though.

mtbr member
    May the wind gods favor you and change the direction for your ride home. There's nothing more humbling than a face full of headwind and burning legs.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM. Not too chilly and the trails are getting ever more clear of ice and debris. Won't be riding home tonight as the fam has to come into town for a track meet for the kids, so I'll be catching a lift with them. I'm hopeful that I can get some good riding in this weekend, but we'll see.

Moderator Moderator
    Soggy and spoogy, but some snow is melting and sublimating.

mtbr member

AZ Commuting

How was your commute today?-img_1370.jpg

Absolutely beautiful weather in AZ- 65+

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    First really NICE weekend this year... time for spring maintenance.
    - Winter Tires swapped out; so much quieter without the studs
    - Finally got around to installing the crosstop levers sitting in my parts bin for 9 months
    - Cleaned everything off
    - Adjusted cable tension all around
    - Chain and brake pads look OK for now

On the "boo" side; without the studs, I can finally hear the bearings clacking in my Shimano External-bearing BB. Have ordered a new one. Will have fun next weekend installing it.

Also, tried converting the front wheel over to tubeless, but found out that the 909 Shrader valves I got are too wide to let the tire bead get into the slot. Need to decide whether to grind them down, try presta valves in the schrader holes, or just leave everything tubed.

mtbr member
    17 commutes so far this season, maybe a dozen off-road excursions. I did my first real rainy commute this past week. Rain/snow mix, actually. It revealed to me that I need better foul weather gear if i'm going to keep tallying commutes in the rain.

Spring feels official in MN now, little likelihood of snow any longer. Gonna rack up some good riding right soon I think. 100 pedal-powered commutes certainly seems possible, maybe even probable now.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great day in on the bike minus the wind. A friend came over and rode with me just to see what a commute would be like. He is considering riding to work at least 3 times a week but his commute would be about 1 and 1/2 what mine is and he just isn't sure yet. Having the company sure was nice as my rides are 99.99999% solo. He got a good idea of what the wind would be like as he would be heading the same direction in from his house. Ride home was uneventful. Decided not to adjust my rear tire in the dropouts when I got out of work and made it home but I can feel that it is off.

Tomorrow I will do that and fix the flat I have on the Jamis and maybe take that one to work for a change.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Cheated and rode the road bike today. I fell behind in prep and needed to make time somewhere. Looks like the better plan as I'll be racing showers home this evening. On the plus side, my new road bike does seem to fit the long club ride bill.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Busted out a grueling and extremely hot 85 miles today. I might ride in tomorrow. Maybe I won't. We'll see how the legs feel in the morning.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good ride in, a bit windy again, but 63F and sunny. Lots of pedestrian and cyclist traffic on the MUP today which was no surprise. Lots of hustle and bustle on the sidewalks along campus. I was doing 25 mph or so in traffic as I approached a fairly busy intersection. Mom and her son are waiting to cross the street with their bikes, kid was I dunno, 4 or 5? He got really excited and was poking his mom to get her to notice. He started waving frantically and had this huge smile on his face. I threw up the peace sign and gave him a huge smile back as I passed. All I heard was "wwwwwooooooooowwwww." I think I made that kids day. After that, the rest of my ride had me smiling and cranking hard.

As I got to the split where the bike lane starts, I started thinking, you know, I know why drivers get pissed off at cyclists. We are all over the place. On sidewalks, bike lanes, the road, cutting across lawns, etc. Prime example....today, I pass I dunno 5 people riding on the sidewalk when there is a perfectly good and wide bike lane for us to use. The sidewalk down there really sucks, and there are so many driveways and streets and pedestrians and bus stops. Why wouldn't you ride the bike lane? Then you get people that half follow the rules of the road, busting off curbs, running lights, running stop signs, etc. I can see why non cyclist drivers get so annoyed and pissed off. In a sense, some of us act like total a-holes with no regard for the rules of the road and think that they don't apply to us.

[/rant] Ride home was rather fast as the rain was coming that I never saw in the forecast. It had rained already, and the roads were half dry. I flew home and pulled in right as it started to do more than just a light drizzle. Not much traffic on a Sunday night at 11:30PM so the roads were fairly empty. No commute tomorrow with rain and thunderstorms in the forecast, and an 80% chance of storms through the night.