Page 339 of 581 FirstFirst ... 239 289 329 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 349 389 439 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 14511
    I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Honest mistake. Sounds like she's over it... way to admit your error and actually have a concern for other people. That's too rare these days. I'm sure you'll be 100% alert for quite a while now
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I clipped a walker on the MUP this morning and man do I feel bad about it.

Lucky for both of us I was going fairly slow (about 10MPH) because I was climbing a long grade. I was grinding along with my head down just daydreaming away when suddenly she appeared in front of me. I was maybe 3-4 from her when I first saw her. I made an emergency left move and clipped her left arm hard enough to knock the flashlight she was holding out of her hand. Thank god I did not knock her over.

I got off my bike apologizing profusely, asking if she was OK, picked up her flashlight and gave it back to her. She said "didn't you see me?" and I admitted I had not because I was riding with my head down daydreaming. I told her it was completely my fault and that I was an ass for riding with my head down. I must have apologized twenty times. She was nice about it, said she was fine and we parted with a "have a good day".

I cannot help but think about what could have happened if I would have plowed straight into her - I could have really injured her. In four years of riding this route I have never seen anyone walking this section of MUP in the morning which is why I was not paying attention but that's no excuse.

Big wake-up call that I have to pay better attention in the future. I've let myself get a little lazy. Be careful out there everyone.
    I came within inches of going OTB into the rear of a parked car while daydreaming up a hill.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey woodway, keep you chin up! Literally and figuratively. It sounds like all turned out OK. So far I've only been a threat to myself daydreaming, like wandering too close to the soft shoulder and bouncing into it.

weirdo
    At least you handled the aftermath well, Woodway. I`ve done similar (usually on cold mornings), plodding along in a bike lane with my head down, just basking in the relative warmth with my nose in the lee of my helmet, when suddenly a pair of walking feet appear in the upward limits of my vision- Whoops!

We have CB`s heatwave going one too. So far all the mud in my yard is still covered, but now by slushy, grainy snow rather than the safe and squeaky kind. I have a few hundred yards of hardpack/ice over dirt to get to the street, then a couple long shady sections with the same overing over asphalt, but most of my paved ride has been bone dry for quite a while. Man, this snow has really held on figuring it was only a few inches and has been hanging around for a few weeks now!

No couch needed when I go overboard with Mrs Rodar- I go to bed an hour after she gets up. Next week I think I start swing shift, so had better watch my manners!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Woodway: good on you for taking ownership. It is a 'heads up' that New Year's resolutions may change use patterns on our routes.

CB: This too shall pass.

Rodar: I guess she is out of the house within 2 hours or you'd be fair game. She can save cold feet for the middle of your back next week.

Newfangled: Nice. I'm not the only one slow to get the Christmas Ornaments away.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    I only rode home because I had to bring the work car back this morning after taking it for fieldwork and training on Friday. 13F and uneventful except for my pack (battery)-to-helmet cable kept getting hung up on something on my pack and was annoyingly tugging on my helmet. I was a bit anxious to get home because I picked up a foster dog yesterday and had not left her at home alone before today. But she did great!

Woodway, glad you both were none the worse for the wear.

mtbr member
    Pretty mild day, comparatively. 15F on the way in this morning, must have been darn near freezing on the way home. One good thing about those negative temps, makes the other days seem easy.

mtbr member
    The morning after a hard workout at the gym probably wasn't the best time to try commuting on a SS

I Ride for Donuts
    All the way up to 18 this morning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got to work this morning, and realized that I had worn my reflective vest underneath my jacket. Whoops.

Another nice day with temperatures around freezing. Unfortunately it looks like our heatwave is finally about to end, with temperatures supposed to drop back to normal starting on thursday.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Got to work this morning, and realized that I had worn my reflective vest underneath my jacket.
    Haha! That`s a new one. Did it give you that inner glow?
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Well, maybe not a new one. I don't think I got out the door like that but mid-winter when I'm up to something like 20+different items to put on I've had some ordering issues.

Good commute, the trails were a little firmer for some reason I don't understand. A fatbike still would have been ideal but I'm going to try not to mention that every day.....oops, dammit!

mtbr member
    A balmy 25 at my house this AM. Uneventful ride in. Still hoping for fresh snow.

Still want a fat bike....
    First commute of the year for me and it was good to be back on the bike after a couple of weeks off. I got some bar mitts and a Philips Safe Ride light for xmas and I must say that I love them both. Just wore some liners with the mitts in 28 (F) temp and I was a tad chilly, but nothing compared to being way too hot or way too cold like usual. Its pretty nice having a dynamo light too. No more worries about recharging the current light.

So far, I am loving 2013.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Haha, nice one newfangled! And I thought it was only me who did stupid stuff like that...

Sweet sunrise CB. Love those kind of mornings.

Dalton, I don't think there is anything better than new toys/gear to spice the commute up for a bit...

40 and light rain here. I managed to make it to work without running into anyone today

Moderator Moderator
    I spent too much time this morning installing a PDW fat fender I had bought (I snapped a SKS DAD fender in a dodo rear dismount (works great on summer trails when no fender is in the way), and exercising foster Ginger (she's settling in nicely) to ride to work, but I brought the bike and took an xl lunch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1000269-600x800-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000265-800x576-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Warmest commute of 2013. I was able to shed 1 whole upper layer of clothes. Tomorrow it will be in the 40's. Think I will take the wrong way home.

weirdo
    Whoa, glacial retreat big time! Only one patch of ice left on my route tonight, and no more snow/ice bridges through the yard to my shed or my truck. Good thing I didn`t have to get to either of them today, because the mud that I`ve been dreading is finally here.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigfish View Post
    Think I will take the wrong way home.
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Its pretty nice having a dynamo light too. No more worries about recharging the current light.
    I love dyno- welcome to the enlightened world! Is there now a US distributor for the dyno version of that Safe Ride? I see Peter White now mentions it on his website, but so far only stocks the battery version. My buddy recnetly bought one and had to get it from a Dutch distributor. You already had the hub, didn`t you? Did you go with a wired tail light also?

@MtbX: Nice
    Ginger`s forgotten tennis ball really makes that shot! And is there a 45 N trail around you? If so, you need a pic by that sign next.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

3 years of daily commuting

I am 61 years old and I have commuted to and from work every day for 3 years without missing one day, except for days off. (vacations, etc. ) My ride is 2.5 miles there and back. At 5 miles a day, 5 days a week, for 3 years, I have racked up several thousand miles. I have never been stopped due to weather. I have only had 2 spills, both caused by black ice. And the one time it was just from horseplaying around. Right now I am using the new bright red Specialized Disc Hardrock. I got a DYNAMITE deal on it. $520 regular price, but the LBS dealer sold it to me for $400. Just recently downloaded Strava to my phone and have registered mph in the mid 20's at times. I am new to this site. Thanx for listening to an old biking geezer !!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    @MtbX: ... And is there a 45 N trail around you? If so, you need a pic by that sign next.
    Great idea, I'll have to check the map.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    All the way up to 18 this morning
    Anoother great sunrise shot!

weirdo
    Way to go, Meatman! Welcome in
    Your profile says Tuna Town. When I was in the service, I had two room mates from central PA- one was in Morrisdale, right by you. I used to go home with them on long weekends. Very pretty up there and we had a lot of good times.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey meatman, welcome. Where are you doing all this commuting? Put your mark on the map.

The trails are firming up nicely but now we have a warm spell coming through so I'm not sure how long the ice is going to hold out. I did take an awesome detour to a local trail system that has singletrack. I didn't expect it to be ridable but the snowshoers and walkers had packed it to winter singletrack perfection. I briefly considered taking the day off to ride it.

Sunrise pics eh, I pulled off a few of those:

I Ride for Donuts
    Good job Meatman! Welcome.

The temp change Rodar mentioned has brought the FOG to my valley... we still have lots of snow on the ground...the dirt road is still packed ice/snow...very nice with the studs. But it's going to get nasty if we get a couple more days very far above freezing.

I used to fear the freezing fog...but that was before studs. It was liberating this morning blasting down the packed ice on the dirt road, and not tensing up when the pavement got shiny. It wasn't very icy, but on arrival I had a nice crust on every part of me and my bike that was facing forwards. Hard not to get mesmerized staring at your headlight beam when you can see it so well Licking your glasses works to keep that frost at bay, by the way. I had to do something, and I wasn't going to take them off (well I mean I took them off to lick them...but 20* with no glasses is no fun)

mtbr member
    The ride home last night was a fun one. I ended up taking a bit of a detour and hitting up some of the winter social single tracks that are on my route and then hit up a brief ride across Goose Lake before catching some of the single track in the university area. Good times. This morning it was quite a bit cooler than it has been for the past week or so, 10 degrees when I left my house. Good ride in, but my knee is twinging a bit and I have a squeak coming from the back of the bike. Thinking it is either the brakes rubbing or my rack has come loose. Will have to check that out when I get home tonight.

I Ride for Donuts
    Yikes rodar, I just looked... High temp today is supposed to be 49, high temp tomorrow is supposed to be 27. Heat wave - over. Cold front coming this afternoon, snow behind it apparently. Bring it on