• 04-01-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Haha I wish I could hit 20+ on the fatbike with out a downhill, let alone maintain it. Temps have been upper 30s and its been dry here for several weeks so I'm back on the road bike. Sweet sweet speed.

Cmon, it's not that hard to do.
  • 04-01-2015
    Kleebs
    1 Attachment(s)
    Not with these wee baby legs of mine.

Attachment 977628
  • 04-01-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Cmon, it's not that hard to do.

Unless you have the tire pressure dialed in for soft snow, then it's darn hear impossible. AT 10psi, sure.
  • 04-01-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

Not with these wee baby legs of mine.

Attachment 977628

Now, if you switch that image around you have me. Well, except for the fact that the upper body is fat and flabby and the lower is "carved outta wood"

:)
  • 04-01-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Unless you have the tire pressure dialed in for soft snow, then it's darn hear impossible. AT 10psi, sure.

You got me there...
  • 04-01-2015
    formula4speed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    600 miles for just the month or for the year? It is the year for me, and my commute was cut short due to the MUP conditions. I have added a bit of mileage both ways now that will slowly add up.

Welcome back!!! Jealous of your MUP and how nice it looks.

I almost said for the month because of today's date, but no, for the year. My commute is 13 miles round trip so it takes a few commutes to rack up any real miles compared to some of you guys.

I do intend to get my mileage significantly higher now that we are getting back "in season".
  • 04-01-2015
    newfangled
    Awww, crap:

Pedestrian dies after being hit by bicycle in northeast Edmonton

With apologies to the poor victim and her family, this is going to bring out all the idiots.

Already from a reporter: "[You] install ghost bikes when cyclists hit and killed. Are you planning anything now when cyclist hits ped?"

(and since I first saw this on twitter, I actually assumed that it was a cyclist making an April Fool's day joke...)
  • 04-01-2015
    WiTrailRunner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Not too shabby for someone who just ran 8 miles the night before.
    Maybe I need a blonde pony tail.

We'll need photos of that, Rodar!

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone. I love walking to the building next door and not seeing my car in the parking lot.
  • 04-01-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Awww, crap:

Pedestrian dies after being hit by bicycle in northeast Edmonton

With apologies to the poor victim and her family, this is going to bring out all the idiots.

Already from a reporter: "[You] install ghost bikes when cyclists hit and killed. Are you planning anything now when cyclist hits ped?"

(and since I first saw this on twitter, I actually assumed that it was a cyclist making an April Fool's day joke...)

Wow, that's a bummer on so many levels. Such a rare occurrence, too, and it's gonna be blown out of proportion real bad.

I hate to say it, but on the reporter's comment: people should be outraged when this happens by car to cyclist or pedestrian. Any easily avoidable but deadly accident is just a damn shame.
  • 04-01-2015
    Rustedthrough
    72 degrees, sunshine, and no wind. I couldn't resist the most circuitous route to the grocery store on the ride home. Absolutely perfect conditions, even the cars were mellow.

Popped across the street to the liquor store and returned to find an older guy on a new K2 MTB from "Nishber" studying my rack, er, ogling my Unit, well, looking at my bike. He gave me the latest gossip on all the sometime commuters in the area, and was stunned by the weight of my rig with panniers, groceries, bourbon, etc. He had laid down 107 miles already this year, much of that today, and was damned proud of that number. The figure rolled off his tongue like it was "One Million Dollars," no way could I mention that I had done that this week and several previous weeks.

The absolute- pure joy this guy was feeling with his new discount bike rubbed off on me. I still can't wipe the sh1t eating grin off my face from such a lovely commute, even if there is snow in the forecast.
  • 04-01-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Good to see you, WItrailrunner!

I had an annoying ride home, as my right eye started itching and hurting a bit right away. It's hard to scratch with lobster gloves and sunglasses on, and I was too stubborn to stop, and of course I got all green lights for a good stretch! Still a bit itchy now, but I think it's OK. I must have gotten something in it right off.

I have talked about biking to a janitor at work many times as I'm leaving work, he is hoping to get another bike since his $50 one eventually disintegrated. It would be cool if I could help him find something nicer than the walmart bike he is planning to get, for the same money at the coop or something. Not that I discouraged him from the walmart bike, he would be able to ride at least! He works til 10 pm and I was glad to hear he has 3 lights he can use from his old bike.
  • 04-01-2015
    KentheKona
    This is the time of year, I both hate and love. In the morning, the ride in can be 20-30 F and the ride home in the evening can be 40-60F. I love it when it's nice, but dressing for the temp swings is hard.
  • 04-02-2015
    bedwards1000
  • 04-02-2015
    woodway
    ^^ Amazing colors!
  • 04-02-2015
    jmctav23
    From yesterday, but today will be much the same:

• 04-02-2015
    BrianMc
    Sorry about the cyclist pedestrian death in Edmonton. The organization's President responded very well to the leading question. If the pedestrian did not step out from between parked cars or some other invisible situation, the cyclist will have an even tougher time with his conscience. What seems to be missing is the car-pedestrian tally for Edmonton in that article. That seems to me to be an essential piece for perspective on the incident. I have been hit a glancing blow by a cyclist on a sidewalk on Campus. Usually these are not fatal as a cyclist can change to make it a glancing blow so easily.

I have missed getting photos of some great sunsets of late. Thanks for the sunrises. And mountains.

Rode yesterday because it was gorgeous. Was barely faster than a spotted salamander. Considering I am some 45 pounds lighter than a year ago December, this is a bit of a pisser. I know I lost some conditioning, but it isn't like I have not ridden at all this winter, much less than I hoped, but I did not hang the bike up. I am going to blame it on the almost carbo free diet.
  • 04-02-2015
    rodar y rodar
    @Bedwards and Jmctav:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • 04-02-2015
    mtbxplorer
    ^^ +1, gorgeous!
  • 04-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Those are some great photos and reports! Beautiful skies.

This evening was all good. Left work and met the family out on the island for dinner. It was hilarious watching the faces of the people get all huffy when I flew by them while they sat in traffic.

Here's some photos from tonight's adventures. Spotted several groups of rays, a cruise ship, and some dolphins. Also had a great time with a wonderful family on vacation from London.

• 04-03-2015
    bedwards1000
    So that's what water looks like when it is liquid. I vaguely remember that. Warmer days are in the forecast so my lake riding days may come to a close pretty soon.

Took a fast bike today...OMG!!! Such a difference even over the Cross Check. I volunteered to shuttle the car home tonight so the wife can get a ride in. It IS forecast to be the warmest day since before Thanksgiving.
  • 04-03-2015
    blockphi
    No commute yesterday. Back at it this AM. Decent ride. Legs still feel a bit dead overall. Have a nice ride planned tonight - hopefully we have a good turn out. The weather should be good for a night ride, the moon will be full, and the sun will be out until 8:50 PM. Yes, summer is about back and with the limited snow this winter we have a lot of trails that are nice and dry already.
  • 04-03-2015
    woodway
    You get some 2015 KOM's today bedwards?

When I was a kid and we played on the beach it was with pails and shovels. Todays kids play on the beach with Smartphones...
  • 04-03-2015
    bedwards1000
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodway View Post

When I was a kid and we played on the beach it was with pails and shovels. Todays kids play on the beach with Smartphones...

Well, since you asked.
    Attachment 978192
    Every 2015 one on my route and overall my fastest commute on that route, ever. blockphi's right. Pushing that Pigsley around tends to make you stronger.
    I had a similar thought about the phone on the beach. Mine was more like: "That doesn't look like a safe place for that phone"

Freakishly warm here today after being freakishly cold for so long. 65F now, 15F yesterday morning.
  • 04-03-2015
    woodway
    ^^ Nicely done!
  • 04-03-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodway View Post

Ha! That's a kid who was vacationing from London with his family. He took a picture of my oldest to remember him, and the were laughing at the pic.

This mornings ride was great. Took the 18 mile long route for the first time in months. I really don't know why I don't do it more often. The lack of traffic lights and congestion usually makes the timing just about the same, and it's much more peaceful.

No ride home tonight. Wife has to do some running around and would like me to join, so she's picking me up. 60 miles planned before work in the morning. I might not get anything done once I get there... Lol.
  • 04-03-2015
    wschruba
    It drizzled on the way in and rained on the way home today. I didn't care...it was 65ish both ways.

Brief, delirious, joy, indeed.
  • 04-03-2015
    mtbxplorer
    First shorts day! Granted, I was glad for the chamois knickers under them, with all that cold snowmelt running down the streets. High of 60, but did not see a single other bike on my 16 miles RT, other than one in the rack at work.

Right off, the first and worst offender was an ambulance from my town (no lights or siren), who had to pull close alongside as I sped down the hill at around 20 in a 25 zone. It was probably made worse by how much wider the body of an ambulance is compared to the cab. At least an EMT would have been nearby if he'd hit me.

Everyone wants to be a truck driver! It seems the CDL school in town has more and more customers, based on how many I see on the road with the "learner" signage. I haven't has any trouble from them to date though.

Snow tomorrow, but they are hedging their bets with !"-7".
  • 04-03-2015
    newfangled
    Holiday today.

I went for a ride with my "muck" bike, and wasn't expecting much. I figured it would just be a continuation of this miserable month: invincible unmelting ice over here, and disgusting muck over there.

But no:

Things have finally cleared up, and I had a fantastic ride. I'd forgotten what roots felt like. I'd forgotten what traction felt like.
  • 04-03-2015
    snailspace
    Had a crash today. Lucked out with a scratch and ruined set of pants. Bikes just had the handlebar caps scratched. Now I've crashed all 3 of my rides.
  • 04-04-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    Had a crash today. Lucked out with a scratch and ruined set of pants. Bikes just had the handlebar caps scratched. Now I've crashed all 3 of my rides.

Glad that you're okay and not seriously injured. So far, I haven't laid down my new Jamis, but I'm sure the time is coming when I'm cut off or dodge to miss a lovely phone zombie.
  • 04-04-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Glad that you're okay and not seriously injured. So far, I haven't laid down my new Jamis, but I'm sure the time is coming when I'm cut off or dodge to miss a lovely phone zombie.

Hell I wish I had those reasons for when I crash. Usually it's more like failure to pay attention. Both of my bikes have scars from me just being a bozo.
  • 04-04-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Beautiful ride this morning. Averaged close to 20 mph for 27 miles, so it's really good to see my ability returning since being hit a few months back. Still trying to dial in the bike, since my back is screwed. Some days I'm great, others I cramp up no matter what I do. Had a sweet young lady roll down her window at a stop light and let me know that my lights and visibility efforts were doing the job. She had passed me some way back, and then saw me pull beside her. Said that when she was coming up on me, I was visible at least a half mile down, so that was really cool, and she was super nice about it.

I've been trying different foot beds to alleviate some pressure and numbness, and they're not working much. I'm about to take my dremel to the cleat slots and just shove them back.
  • 04-04-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Hell I wish I had those reasons for when I crash. Usually it's more like failure to pay attention. Both of my bikes have scars from me just being a bozo.

Well, I've got scratches from the kids and dog knocking it over, or thinking it's stable leaning and then a wheel rolls, but I've yet to go down with it.
  • 04-04-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Averaged close to 20 mph for 27 miles, so it's really good to see my ability returning since being hit a few months back. Still trying to dial in the bike, since my back is screwed. Some days I'm great, others I cramp up no matter what I do.

Glad it`s starting to come together for you. Wasn`t that you a few months ago talking about a sunrise to sunset peninsula crossing? (pretty sure) Will that still be possible if you don`t get to it before summer cranks up?
  • 04-04-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Yeah, that was me. We're still working out the kinks and logistics of it, but it's planned for the end of next month. Anyone want to join in?
  • 04-05-2015
    Rustedthrough
    2 Attachment(s)
    Excellent ride on an outstanding day.

My wife decided to serve Easter lunch at the farm for our interns who couldn't get home for the holiday. Several beautiful side dishes showed up around her leg of lamb and farm raised potatoes. The fine food and a few pints of Dogfishhead IPA might explain why it took so much longer to get home.

The MUPs were empty, and the new one was finally open. No foolishness on the county highways, just a headwind.
  • 04-05-2015
    newfangled
    ^ is your Unit still geared, or did you switch it to ss when you took off the nicotines?
  • 04-05-2015
    Rustedthrough
    The gears come off the Unit next week. I've mostly been riding the Bosanova since the roads have opened up.
  • 04-05-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Excellent ride on an outstanding day.

My wife decided to serve Easter lunch at the farm for our interns who couldn't get home for the holiday. Several beautiful side dishes showed up around her leg of lamb and farm raised potatoes. The fine food and a few pints of Dogfishhead IPA might explain why it took so much longer to get home.

The MUPs were empty, and the new one was finally open. No foolishness on the county highways, just a headwind.

Food or interns? :)
  • 04-05-2015
    TenSpeed
    Picked up an extra day at work for the money and the chance to ride in. 53F and mostly windy. Roads were pretty bare since people were probably with their families. Always a good day to ride in if you ask me. I have been taking the lane on any road that has multiple lanes and no bike lane. I stay to the right, but not so far over where people think they can squeeze in and squeeze me out. Ride home was equally windy and 41F. Thought I might have underdressed but by the time I got home, I was sweating. I know you should always be a little cold when you start but with my Reynaud's and severe disdain of the cold it is hard for me to force myself to do it. Worked out perfectly tonight. Looking forward to riding in again tomorrow before the rain starts for pretty much the rest of the week.
  • 04-06-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    This morning left much to be desired. Felt a little queasy as I geared up to walk out of the house. Then, I plop down on the saddle and feel it shift because the tension bolt on the seat post wasn't tight enough, so that had to be fixed. Then, I had a weird pain in my right knee. I've come up expect some stuff, due to 2 acl surgeries and early onset arthritis, but this was pretty bad. And I tried some green BG foot beds to alleviate cramping and discomfort, but they just made me cramp up more.

I feel like I'm Alexander and this is about to turn in to a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Let's hope not.
  • 04-06-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

Picked up an extra day at work for the money and the chance to ride in. 53F and mostly windy. Roads were pretty bare since people were probably with their families. Always a good day to ride in if you ask me. I have been taking the lane on any road that has multiple lanes and no bike lane. I stay to the right, but not so far over where people think they can squeeze in and squeeze me out. Ride home was equally windy and 41F. Thought I might have underdressed but by the time I got home, I was sweating. I know you should always be a little cold when you start but with my Reynaud's and severe disdain of the cold it is hard for me to force myself to do it. Worked out perfectly tonight. Looking forward to riding in again tomorrow before the rain starts for pretty much the rest of the week.

You would think for a fella with such a hatred of the cold, you wouldn't live in Michigan. There's always room for another here at the beach.
  • 04-06-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    I didn't commute Thurdsday afternoon or Friday. We had some crazy thunderstorms that dropped over 7" of rain. There was quite a bit of flooding in the area. I had a little water moving through my garage, but no damage. A bunch of people around the region had to be evacuated from their homes. The ride in felt good this morning.
  • 04-06-2015
    NDD
    Feeling weird again today. Can't taste any food and most drinks just taste bad, kinda like those bitter things that only some people can taste, forget what they're called.

That said, fastest commute of the year today.
  • 04-06-2015
    Kleebs
    It rained Thursday and Friday of last week and my fendered bike is out of commission so I opted not to ride either day. Got back on the road bike Saturday for a beginners crit clinic and we ended up riding a full 33 miles by the end. It is in preparation for a local weekly crit training series that starts up in two weeks and will by my first foray into the world of road racing.

Commute this morning was excellent. My first shorts day of the year! Had a guy ask me for money while I was stopped at stoplight...not sure where he expected me to keep money...I wear lycra on my 15 mile each way commutes.
  • 04-06-2015
    blockphi
    A good ride in this AM. I ended up taking Saturday off after a great ride on Friday night after work. The trails are mostly dried up and riding like they do in late May. But there was some mud, so Saturday I washed the bike and swapped rear tires. Before I took the Farley in to the shop I threw a 27TPI Nate on it just to see if the bead was destroyed as the guy I bought my lot of tires from a month or so back thought that it was a foldable as well. It's not... Anyway, the shop installed that tire and, while I love the Nate for traction, it's not so hot for commuting. Long story short, I mounted up a Devist8er UL on the Jackalope rim and it was so dead simple I couldn't believe it. Mounted and set with just a floor pump and held air with no sealant overnight. So I decided to go ride it on some rooty, gnarly stuff, trying to get it to burp or lose air and no go. Kept all the pressure through it all.

Then I made the mistake of adding sealant. Not sure, but when I got up this AM, the tire was flat. Aired up no issues, so I hit it with some soapy water to see if I could figure out where it was leaking. Looks like a couple of spots at the bead. So I pumped it up to 30 or so and let it sit while finishing getting ready for the ride, then dropped it back down to 17 or so. Seems to be holding now. I'll head out at lunch to check to be sure.

The Devist8er seems like it will be a good commuting and trail riding tire. The compound is hard enough that I think it will wear well and, apart from the muddy sections I was riding yesterday (on equestrian trails that are both always muddy and never were sustainably built) the tire didn't slip out once, even on some hairy climbs with damp roots and chaff.

So this morning's ride was pretty standard. A bit chilly, with a few snow flakes here and there, but good, fast riding overall. The legs felt pretty spritely.
  • 04-06-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Got back on the road bike Saturday for a beginners crit clinic and we ended up riding a full 33 miles by the end. It is in preparation for a local weekly crit training series that starts up in two weeks and will by my first foray into the world of road racing.

Cool. I`m not into racing myself, but crits sure are fun to watch. Maybe as good as watching cyclocross.
  • 04-06-2015
    formula4speed
    Good ride this morning, nice weather today before the rain rolls in for the week.

Got my girlfriend a fatbike and we had a nice 13 mile ride on some rail trail style gravel pathway yesterday. She digs the fat tires and started asking about some easy singletrack to try.

After the commute home I'm going to meet up with my UPS driver to hit the trails. Need to get as much riding in as I can before mother nature revokes our good weather. I'm ready for more dirt riding after the nasty winter that kept me on pavement.
  • 04-06-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Good ride this morning, nice weather today before the rain rolls in for the week.

Got my girlfriend a fatbike and we had a nice 13 mile ride on some rail trail style gravel pathway yesterday. She digs the fat tires and started asking about some easy singletrack to try.

After the commute home I'm going to meet up with my UPS driver to hit the trails. Need to get as much riding in as I can before mother nature revokes our good weather. I'm ready for more dirt riding after the nasty winter that kept me on pavement.

You ride with your UPS driver? Oh, this could be so good and so bad at the same time. Packages of bike stuff to your house first. That is good.
  • 04-06-2015
    formula4speed
    Quote:

You ride with your UPS driver? Oh, this could be so good and so bad at the same time. Packages of bike stuff to your house first. That is good.

Yep, actually my main UPS driver and our back-up driver both ride. My girlfriends fatbike came UPS and he came to our office early because he knew I was amped to get my hands on it. It's good to be friendly with your delivery drivers.