Page 337 of 428 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387 ... LastLast
Results 16,801 to 16,850 of 21375
    mtbr member
    And now I remembered why my legs hurt so much. It's not because I'm out of shape (that will come when I'm actually riding dirt again), but because as part of my quest to find a "dry" route (meaning not so sticky that it would lock up my bigapples and fenders) I climbed a couple of big sets of stairs with the bike on my shoulder cyclocross-style.

All of the rivervalley stairs around here have planks on the sides that make it easier to push a bike up...unless that bike is a fixie...in which case you're constantly clobbering your shins and calves, and hiking is a better plan.

Stock photo for reference:

Bedwards Of The West
    What an awesome nod to the bike crowd. Loving the planks on the side of the stairs. Otherwise not crazy about that stairway! Looks large!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    There's something like 70+ of those stairways. And they've had the bike-planks forever. I don't know who fought to have them included, but they're very handy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Wind, infernal wind
    Dropping branches in my path
    March leaves as a lamb?

CB of the East
    Free Range Fatbiking
    https://youtu.be/VGhRyKlA0lU

mtbr member
    No evening commute. I have to service a restaurant at 0500, so I took the work truck home. I'll make up for it tomorrow. I promise.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Moderator Moderator
    Cool freerange riding and lake/hill trip, Bedwards. How did your lakes get back down to bare ice? Ours are still snow covered.

Woodward, that is crazy, glad you are OK and were able to wrestle your bike back from the RR barons.

Routine commute today, a little overdressed, and a little tired on the way home after a day in the field.

A good fatbike ride at Kingdom Trails yesterday, bobsled like conditions, mostly good traction, with some icy spots. Dared to take the dog as he has been good for a couple months. He was angelic the first 7 miles, leading the way, staying on trail, and going "on by" when we passed deer trails. Then a deer popped up in front of him and then the chase was on, he got as far as a mile away. With the help of his GPS collar I tracked him down about 2 bike miles later...I haven't downloaded the collar to see how many dog miles that was.

CB of the East
    ^^All the snow sucked up the water from below and then re-froze. They've been pretty solid for a while now. I just checked an ice fishing hole tonight and the lake I cross has a good 2 feet of ice. Well, except for the spots that are open water now.

Our dogs are the same way. They are great, right up until they aren't. Then they come back like "Hey, what's going on?"

Great commute home across the lake with a very close eagle sighting as he flew over my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sheared a couple more spoke-heads off the wheels from my cdale bad boy.
    kinda snapped and threw the old coda hub and a new dt swiss rim at the lbs, waiting for them to throw them back at me.

meanwhile? erghh... the casserole's still toast.
    so I threw some 26" wheels with fat boy slicks on the bad boy and rode anyways.
    faster spin's worth about 2 gears. kinda like it.
    buzzing hornet hub means an extra lock though.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^

Great commute home across the lake with a very close eagle sighting as he flew over my head.
    Cool!!!

They have been warning of ice thinning from below here with the spring sun, but I thought they were nuts, given the frigid winter. But I see 6 ATVs took a swim yesterday...6 ATVs on Lake Champlain rescued when ice breaks

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I'm not sure a fatbike would work for Woodway's lengthly commute.
    A fatbike would be so cool! A fatbike would be so slow Maybe they will come out with an electric-assist version...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Stock photo for reference:
    Most photos make things look flat but that looks darn steep!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Can't tell if I'm getting sick or if I have a combination of allergies and poor diet. Weird. Weather was great. Ride up was great because my brother rode in with me. Ride back, meh.

I think I might be spending the second half of the summer in Vermont working for the VYCC. I won't need a car and can ride my bike on the weekends.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Wind, infernal wind
    Dropping branches in my path
    March leaves as a lamb?
    Have to agree with the wind comment. Unbelievable over here, just unbelievable. Steady winds from the WNW at 19 MPH with 35+ MPH gusts. 4 times I was almost knocked over on my bike while riding. Yeah, I had the fat bike out today and almost got blown over. Forecast called for rain tonight mixed with the possibility of up to an inch of snow in some places. The only bike with fenders that I own, so I rocked it. 59° F when I left, and I had shorts on. Aside from the wind, the ride in was great. The wind? It mentally destroys me and sucks the power right out of me. Already dislike the fat bike because it rides like a school bus and is as fast as one. Add in the super strong head wind and I was cursing like I stubbed my little toe a million times in a row.

The ride home at 43° F wasn't bad, but it was lightly raining and some snow was falling, or what looked like snow. Had to put the tights on for the ride home, but used my wind/water proof light gloves and my hands were not cold by the time I got home. This weather is crazy. Global warming my ass.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000

mtbr member
    Windy for me too. Just bitter biking into it. Home i flew going with it. Side wind is almost as bad as head wind. +18 tomorrow. Then snow wednesday.... Yay. Not, just starting to dry up.
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member
    I'm on the opposite schedule than a lot of you. 27 peaceful miles mostly in darkness this morning. I'll ride the same miles home tomorrow morning.
    Speeds are low, I'm just trying to get there. I have plenty of time, so I try to keep the heart rate low on these rides.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Cool!!!

They have been warning of ice thinning from below here with the spring sun, but I thought they were nuts, given the frigid winter. But I see 6 ATVs took a swim yesterday...6 ATVs on Lake Champlain rescued when ice breaks
    GOOD! That is the best place for 4-wheelers, at the bottom of the lake. They were probably doing something stupid because that seems to be the modus operandi of people to ride 4-wheelers. (I realize the article doesn't support this) I hate to stereotype a whole group of people, like people do to cyclists. BUT! I can't think of any other group responsible for more public trail damage that the yahoos that ride on 4-wheelers. They just don't seem happy unless they are spinning their wheels and tearing something up. Either temporarily to the winter trails or permanently in the summer causing washouts & erosion.
    How was your commute today?-p1020985.jpg
    A-Holes, This use to be a trail

Discuss....

mtbr member
    Now it's two trails.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Now it's two trails.
    Yeah...No... 2 trails that zig-zag back an forth that are too deep to turn the cranks.

mtbr member
    Supposed to be another nice day today, but tomorrow the temperature will drop and we're in for a few inches of snow.

I took the trails home last night, and they were 1/3 ice, 1/3 mudholes and 1/3 good actual ready-to-go dirt. They're sooooooo close, and I would love a good day of rain to clear them out, but I really don't want more snow to set things back another week.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this is applicable to anyone?

Why do bros fear ‘being chicked’ on their bikes? | Metro

Last week, on one of those terrifically snowy mornings, a fit-looking man on a nice bike nodded at me on my bike in that special “yup, we’re both warriors” way.

Then, as if he felt he had to, he took his place in front of me at the red light.

It makes me sizzle: Male cyclists assuming they are faster than any woman on the road, and therefore insist on squeezing in front of them at red lights...
    Just personally, I think all the clipless & geared people are going to be slow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Not sure if this is applicable to anyone?

Why do bros fear ‘being chicked’ on their bikes? | Metro

Just personally, I think all the clipless & geared people are going to be slow.
    Hah somebody pulls in in front of me.....I am on his ass drafting until he or she dies....I love a cat 6 race.

CB of the East
    I almost got "chicked" by an 18 year old girl at the fatbike race. It won't be too long until she can beat me. Damn fine rider she is.

I think "bros" fear it because men are stronger than women. I'm not being sexist, it's fact. There's a reason they have men's and women's categories in every single sporting event. That said, on an individual level, anybody pulling ahead of you at a light because they think they are faster is a di(k. Strong women are going to beat all but the strongest men. I'm reminded of that every time I enter a 5K.

I love a good CAT 6 race too but we don't have many contestants around here.

Oh, and my commute was good. We're above freezing today so the trails are shite.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ There's this superhero chick that has done a couple of our local races, and just marched away from me on a big climb a couple years ago...there was nothing I could do, she just flat whooped me.

fast-forward a year or so, and I pull in to the lunch stop of a century ride, feeling pretty good...and there was this chick and her husband (also a superhero who crushes everyone). I was feeling awesome, because I obviously reeled these guys in over the past several miles, catching up to them at the lunch stop. We chatted for a minute, almost like we were actual peers, about the course so far, yada yada...then I glanced down....

wait for it....

They were both on singlespeeds

I suck.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I suck.
    Awww CB, you don't suck, you're special!
    I don't know how those singlespeeders do the centuries around here. We have one with 6000'+++ of climbing and a few hard cores will do it on the SS.
    We've also got a super-human cycle duo and she was racing the last cyclocross race on a SS.

Moderator Moderator
    I gave in to winter today and used my morning time to skijor instead of riding to work. Wiith a fresh 3" of snow over crust, conditions were fantastic. My dog was able to pull me along at a good clip, when he wasn't lifting a leg or looking for deer.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I got "chicked" at the last mountain bike race I did, big time. Doing really well the first half, miss a turn that was poorly marked, run into a female cyclist headed the other way on the dirt road, realizing one or both of us is lost. I call the racer director to get directions, we get back on track. I look over, and this girl is young, I mean young. I ask her how old she is. "Oh, I am 12." Seriously?? I am struggling to keep up with her on some of these hills. I jokingly tell her that I will tell my wife (at the time) that I got beat by a 12 year old girl. We get back on to the course, and immediately she leaves me on this huge hill while I am sucking and just gasping for air. She disappeared into thin air. I finish the race. Check the results, holy hell, she had me by like 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    ^ Power to weight ratio. That upper body strength has little to do with climbing hills. And is less aero to boot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    one more commute home

then sailing for a 10 days

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Rest day x10. Nice. Where you sailing?

mtbr member
    Boo! I had every intention of riding home, went to saddle up, and my rear tire was flat. Went to fix it, and remembered the kids took my repair bag out of my backpack. I guess there's a wire or something in the tread that I missed. I'll pick up some tubes from the lbs and order a super huge patch kit off of Amazon. I've got over 20 tubes lying around waiting to have holes fixed.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    How does a weather alert start with "April's weather in Alberta will begin on a note that won't be fooling around"?

65F right now. Chance of thundershowers this evening, with gusts to 50mph. 4-6" of snow overnight? W. T. F.

mtbr member
    Swung by the shop to use some credit I had and pick upholstery some tubes. Turns out that the 40 dollar credit I thought I had was actually 124. So, I got some tubes, and now I'm wondering what else to get. I could use some bars with a more ergo drop, and some new bar tape...

NDD
    Baby boy
    Man, all y'all worried about getting beat. I could pretty much get passed up by anybody, definitely anyone on here. It's probably a good thing y'all don't drive cars all the time. I can picture it now:

"Like hell that guy in the Volvo is gonna beat me! Wait, why do I have a Mustang anyway?"

But in all seriousness, my commute today was good. One PR on the way home. I've been working on pedaling technique again, which I let slip quite terribly over the winter. I didn't even realize it really until I clipped in again (at which point I also realized I need to adjust my cleats a bit). I'm ashamed of myself but I just had almost no desire to go too fast during the cold months.

I've also gotten out of the habit of running and doing other exercise. I am a failure :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Man, all y'all worried about getting beat. /
    As long as I am faster than people 6 feet under I'm good. I suspect I'm faster than most cagers, too if they were on a bike like me.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Mustang driver and not ashamed to say it. No one beats me off the line.

Today was an overall great day to commute. Decent temps and the sun even managed to peek out a few times, the wind has definitely died down, and the bike just feels good. Still micro adjusting this Specialized Phenom that I got recently. Great saddle but having some issues with leveling it out properly. Will get that taken care of Wednesday which is my day off.

Cleared 700 miles by the end of March. I am pretty happy with that considering this hellish winter that we had.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Mustang driver and not ashamed to say it. No one beats me off the line.

Today was an overall great day to commute. Decent temps and the sun even managed to peek out a few times, the wind has definitely died down, and the bike just feels good. Still micro adjusting this Specialized Phenom that I got recently. Great saddle but having some issues with leveling it out properly. Will get that taken care of Wednesday which is my day off.

Cleared 700 miles by the end of March. I am pretty happy with that considering this hellish winter that we had.
    I was unofficially hanging with you mile wise for a while there, but you are starting to pull away on me. I might need a longer commute, I was just under 600 miles for the end of March.

Today was commute #45 for the year, so way ahead of the mark for hitting 100 at least. Winter was crazy, but between the belt drive with fenders and a fat bike in the stable I was able to ride a lot more than usual.

mtbr member
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Did you guys miss me? Guess what I did this morning? First bike commute of the year! Woo hoo! And to think this time last year I was just getting off crutches. 2015 has been good to me so far. I may disappear again for the next two weeks, as we're forecasted for cold rain all next week and then I'll be on vacation the week after that, but I will reappear again shortly.

As I was riding down the MUP this morning, I passed a guy and bid him a very cheerful good morning. He took this as an invitation to keep up and start a conversation for a few miles. He was very impressed that I rode 16 miles one way. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm a woman. Must be the long, blonde ponytail that throws people off. Absolutely beautiful morning here. My ears were pretty chilly for most of the ride, but otherwise my clothing was perfect. Not too shabby for someone out of practice.

I ran 8 miles last night, and then with my commute this morning, I am hungry! Time for first breakfast!

How was your commute today?-img_3254.jpg

mtbr member
    Only barely topped 400 miles for the month of March. That puts this year's total to 1489. Going to have to step it up if I am going to hit 8K by the end of the year, but I'm not worried. I haven't started my summer route riding in the AM or my summer-long bike coaching gig. Though I would say that last March I likely had a lot more miles in already as the conditions were much, much better for all types of riding. In fact, I remember last year in mid April I had an amazing few hours of trail riding on some awesome corn snow. Not this year.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Not too shabby for someone out of practice.
    Not too shabby for someone who just ran 8 miles the night before.
    Maybe I need a blonde pony tail.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I was unofficially hanging with you mile wise for a while there, but you are starting to pull away on me. I might need a longer commute, I was just under 600 miles for the end of March.

Today was commute #45 for the year, so way ahead of the mark for hitting 100 at least. Winter was crazy, but between the belt drive with fenders and a fat bike in the stable I was able to ride a lot more than usual.
    600 miles for just the month or for the year? It is the year for me, and my commute was cut short due to the MUP conditions. I have added a bit of mileage both ways now that will slowly add up.

Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Did you guys miss me? Guess what I did this morning? First bike commute of the year! Woo hoo! And to think this time last year I was just getting off crutches. 2015 has been good to me so far. I may disappear again for the next two weeks, as we're forecasted for cold rain all next week and then I'll be on vacation the week after that, but I will reappear again shortly.

As I was riding down the MUP this morning, I passed a guy and bid him a very cheerful good morning. He took this as an invitation to keep up and start a conversation for a few miles. He was very impressed that I rode 16 miles one way. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm a woman. Must be the long, blonde ponytail that throws people off. Absolutely beautiful morning here. My ears were pretty chilly for most of the ride, but otherwise my clothing was perfect. Not too shabby for someone out of practice.

I ran 8 miles last night, and then with my commute this morning, I am hungry! Time for first breakfast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3254.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	977579
    Welcome back!!! Jealous of your MUP and how nice it looks.

Bedwards Of The West
    Man, all y'all worried about getting beat. I could pretty much get passed up by anybody, definitely anyone on here.
    You're lapping everyone who's home on the couch.

I only worry about getting beat when I'm in a race. Except I do struggle with not turning every ride into a race because of Strava.

Today was cold again! 25 degrees F, and I was lulled into not checking the forecast by the past couple weeks of great weather... Went with the summer gloves, light jacket, numb toes, frozen fingers approach... fairly miserable. I had my breath freezing in the facial hair... totally not expecting anything below about 40. Yeesh.

guy
    I cat 6'd a bus this morning. He passed me and then made a stop just up ahead of me, and I put down the hammer to get around him again. Made it my goal to not get passed again until the point where our routes diverged 3 miles ahead. Success! Averaged 22 mph for that stretch but needed some recovery for the rest of the ride in.

CB of the East
    ^^I assume you weren't on the fatbike.

I only worry about getting beat when I'm in a race. Except I do struggle with not turning every ride into a race because of Strava.
    Guilty. Maybe not every ride but that is a way I entertain myself.

Today was cold again! 25 degrees F, and I was lulled into not checking the forecast by the past couple weeks of great weather... Went with the summer gloves, light jacket, numb toes, frozen fingers approach... fairly miserable. I had my breath freezing in the facial hair... totally not expecting anything below about 40. Yeesh.
    About the same temps here but that is extending the snow riding. The sunny days are knocking it down but there's still plenty around. More free range today.
    https://youtu.be/CDgfth1R0x8

mtbr member
    Stupid snow. Nothing overnight, but it started around 7AM and they're still calling for several inches. It's really coming down, but after 3 hours nothing is actually accumulating on the ground which is good. Two weeks ago we got a big dump which made the trails fantastic...for 2 days...and then they quickly reverted to garbage. So as much as I would like snow, I'd rather if everything could finish melting in peace.

guy
    ^^I assume you weren't on the fatbike.
    Haha I wish I could hit 20+ on the fatbike with out a downhill, let alone maintain it. Temps have been upper 30s and its been dry here for several weeks so I'm back on the road bike. Sweet sweet speed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    I cat 6'd a bus this morning. He passed me and then made a stop just up ahead of me, and I put down the hammer to get around him again. Made it my goal to not get passed again until the point where our routes diverged 3 miles ahead. Success! Averaged 22 mph for that stretch but needed some recovery for the rest of the ride in.
    I have to do this quite often, to avoid playing leap frog with the damn bus. Sometimes they pull into the bike lane at a stop, sometimes they don't. + rep for wasting him.

NDD
    Baby boy
    You're lapping everyone who's home on the couch
    That is true. I'm slow and steady, but that's better than not biking at all.

I'm thinking about doing my first full century this summer. Don't know why I haven't. I've biked close to it without any pain etc, but I guess I'm just lazy. I'm gonna do it on the single speed, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I have to do this quite often, to avoid playing leap frog with the damn bus. Sometimes they pull into the bike lane at a stop, sometimes they don't. + rep for wasting him.
    I also am forced to do this with other vehicles approaching stop signs to keep people from passing too close to the intersection, or otherwise getting out of the way so they are not endangering my life. A healthy distrust, I guess. One of the reasons I need the HR monitor so I don't push the heart to maximum so that distrust stays healthy.

Bedwards Of The West

I'm thinking about doing my first full century this summer. Don't know why I haven't. I've biked close to it without any pain etc, but I guess I'm just lazy. I'm gonna do it on the single speed, too.
    My longest ride to date was a completely self-imposed 125 miles, some of it on dirt...maybe 25 miles. Just me out there alone seeing the world go by, no hurry. I thoroughly enjoyed myself... took like 10 hours. So much more fun than the "organized" centuries I've done.