Page 336 of 417 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 346 386 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,800 of 20850
    Bedwards Of The West
    I got a nice loop in after work yesterday. Raining off and on, didn't see a soul. Excellent bonding time with the new bike. It's actually pretty light on its feet for a big fella.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-03-25-7.54.49-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ oh come on, there's no need to resort to photoshop.

Blah ride for me. We had been snow free for weeks, but then we got 8" on the weekend, and now it's the aftermath of that, which sucks. I've already gone through the big spring melt once, and I've already been off the trails for 3 weeks. Why does this all have to happen a second time?

mtbr member
    Meh... didn't commute yesterday after getting home really late on Monday (started work at 5:10 AM on the bus and didn't get home until 7:30 PM) due to client meetings, so decided to work from home and work on swapping a few things over to the Pugs to ride that until my new wheel comes in.

Good ride, overall, until I get to town and about half way to work the front trigger shifter stops working. Not sure if it's just gummed up (likely) or if there is something else going on. Figure I'll grab a can of brake clean at lunch time, blast it with that and see if things start working again. If not... Who knows.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ oh come on, there's no need to resort to photoshop.
    If I was using photoshop there would be a unicorn in there somewhere.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I got a nice loop in after work yesterday. Raining off and on, didn't see a soul. Excellent bonding time with the new bike. It's actually pretty light on its feet for a big fella.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 7.54.49 AM.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	975734
    That's just unfair.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

How was your commute today?-unicorn.jpg
    Oh come on, there's no need to resort to microsoft paint.

mtbr member
    ^ I'd give you rep if I could.

Bedwards Of The West
    Hahaha nice!!

mtbr member
    It's good to be back. Was accidentally banned for a bit, but it's all sorted out.

Weather has been warmer than usual, so it's been pretty rough on the ride home. Tonight the wife is picking me up from the office so that we can go run errands, so no ride home. Hoping to make a long loop tomorrow morning before going in to the office. We'll see how that goes.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Galvanized. . .yes. I got that understanding all wrong. When the four spokes broke last year the mechanic suggested I just buy a new wheel for about 30-40. This thing was all steel though. My rims are orange and the spokes are black. I like the look. Told mechanic I didn't want plain old steel wheels. He said he could relace orange rim with better black spokes for about $200, or just change out broken spokes for about $40. I went the cheapie route on this cheapie bike. As for doing it myself, I am really starting to consider it. My goal has always been to eventually unwind myself completely from using the bike mechanic except for the very, very hardest of things.

Had a flat after work. Just aired up the tire at the automotive shop in our yard, gave the wheel a good spin (over 8 oz of slime in tube), and peddled most furiously to get home. Made it in record time. Got to take kids to soccer practice so no time to fix tube now. Likely be taking the Monocog to work tomorrow.

Moderator Moderator
    Virtual rep all around for rainbows and unicorns!

My commute was not pretty to start, there was an iceflow across the first intersection. I was a-feared, and decide to unclip and walk across the iceflow, but this stuck me out on route 302 a bit, standing there trying to turn left. Before I could even re=clip my right foot, a motorist to the right decided to over-politely stop so I could proceed, backing up maybe 5 cars. In a rush to not hold up traffic, I flailed at the clipless pedals a few times like a newbie, while simultaneously attempting a waved thanks to the motorist. I finally got clipped in and sped through town as fast as the cars. The rest of the commute was uneventful.

At work, another bike was in the rack for the first time in months, a Kestrel that I later learned was planning to be pedaled about 29 miles after work. A serious seasonal start!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Schwwweeeeeett photo CB!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Welcome back Tex!!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2913/6000

mtbr member
    Riding tomorrow! Not happy about it. Took out my 29er last week and i flew! Snowed on the weekend and its almost gone but freezes over night so frozen run off in the am. Studded bike is sooo slow. Hoping to get back on my at least 4 out of 5 days commuting by bike next week.
    2014 Rocky Mountain Trailhead 29er

2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

I'd rather be on my bike
    Looks like today will be a commute day. Weather looks alright, possible rain later on tonight mixed with flurries? OK, whatever.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Had to poach a shifter off of another bike as the one that died on me yesterday was not just gunked up, but dead dead. Bummer. My garage is turning into the island of broken bikes - seven bikes in the garage and only three ridable.

Going from the Farley to the Pugs is definitely a learning curve. Just the difference in shifting and cadence is eye opening. I put my wider bars on the Pugs and can't believe how much of a difference it makes. The last time I rode it, I was on a narrower bar and I felt like a bear on a circus bike. With the wider bars and a slightly longer stem, the bike feels really good - like maybe I should've tried swapping bars and stem before buying the Farley... Naw, a new bike is fun from time to time.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I had to change routes a couple of days ago due to conflicts i was having making a unprotected left turn across two lanes of speeding cagers. Now im on a one-way street the entire trek through downtown Oakland..and its nice

Bedwards Of The West
    You just said "downtown Oakland" and "nice" in the same sentence

Bedwards Of The West
    Well I hate to rub it in, but around here, we have arrived:

How was your commute today?-6258340385_652a3ec011_z.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Love that, shared with VT bikecommuters. We now appear to be out of the "absurdly freezing" epoch and in the "hoping for brief delusional joy phase".

mtbr member
    ^ We're bouncing back into the absurdly freezing. 28F, 19F, and 22 F forecast for the next three mornings. We almost broke 70 two days ago. March can be such a tease.

I'd rather be on my bike
    "That f*#@king wind!!!!!" Both ways. Damn I hate the wind. Ride in was alright minus the snotting up and coughing from the cold air blasting in my face. Ride home was equally windy, if not more windy. Forecasted gusts of 30mph tonight according to the weather. Alright, had enough, bring on the spring already.

CB of the East
    That chart doesn't have the covered in muck phase between absurdly freezing and brief delusional joy. When a winter's worth of grime is concentrated by evaporation and a spring rain liberates it from the ground.

Sorry about the wind 10-speed. It can be a little *****.

Ride in was damp and on the slow side, a rest day is in order.

NDD
    Baby boy
    First Friday commute in a while. Glad to have more light back around these parts. Other parts are just fine to ride in the dark, but not these .5 miles of road or whatever.

It was slow, cold, and almost damp. Just the way I like it.

Edit: just changed into work clothes. Looked out the front window, the sun is out now. The whole ride in I was getting flurries... Hmm.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    GAHHHHHHH!

That about sums it up. I probably went a year without getting a flat, but these past couple weeks I had a tube fail at the seam, then I had a tire failure which I posted about here, and this morning I double flatted. Gave up and called my girlfriend for a ride.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Just looked outside. They forecasted light flurries. That is exactly what it is doing. So light that you can barely see them, but they are there. Will probably still ride the fixed gear in to work. Can always get a ride home from a co worker if the conditions get bad. I won't complain about the 30's but we had a taste of the upper 60's and shorts, and now everything else is just freezing. I rode in single digit temps earlier this year and was OK. One taste of warm weather and now I turn into a complete pansy.

guy
    Had to replace a slowly leaking tube yesterday morning, and the new tube worked fine both ways yesterday. Pulled it out of the car this morning, and what do you know, another flat in the same wheel. Sigh. Must have missed whatever caused the first flat when I checked the inside of the tire. Put the bike back in the car and drove the rest of the way to work. Crappy way to start a Friday.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    GAHHHHHHH!

That about sums it up. I probably went a year without getting a flat, but these past couple weeks I had a tube fail at the seam, then I had a tire failure which I posted about here, and this morning I double flatted. Gave up and called my girlfriend for a ride.
    Been there, done that. Good thing you have a girlfriend to call. I keep thinking that if my girlfriend and I split up I'm really going to have to get my sh*t together. No forgetting spare tubes or neglecting to check the weather, etc, etc. It'll be a bad day for me when that happens.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Ride Everything
    Terrible, just terrible. The sun was out and I had the trails to myself.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Moderator Moderator
    Decent, hovering around freezing and not windy. Speediest trip home in a while at 39 minutes for 8 miles with lights and all. It was close to or about an hour in the dead of winter, so that's a big improvement. Big ol' snowflakes on the way home, but they were not sticking until I got home at 1700', maybe an inch and a half accumulated since this morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Sorry about the wind 10-speed. It can be a little *****.
    I know you are on a one speed, but the wind really blows when you can't get out of granny (you have't cross chained enough to bother) on the downhills!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I quit my business about three years ago and been on vacation ever since. Monday I stated working part time. Its only about five miles from my house which is good cause I wanted a job where I could ride to work. Today was my first day ever riding to work and Im 42 yrs young. Coming home was a little rough but was so worth it. The sun was out and nobody tried to run me over or took the time to scream obscenities so it was great! Not that it would have made a difference. Look forward to making this a habit. Im a little out of bike shape but I dont think it will take long to get back to where I was.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    68 degrees and a tailwind tonight. Three PR's coming home. Busted 2000 miles for the year. Great way to start the weekend.

weirdo
    Welcome, SantaCruzer. Glad you had a nice return to the commuting life

Bummer about the tires, F4S and kleebs. I had my batch last fall, persisted even after swapping tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I know you are on a one speed, but the wind really blows when you can't get out of granny (you have't cross chained enough to bother) on the downhills!
    Sucks- nothing more demoralizing than having to struggle down a hill! I`d rather have to fight wind on an uphill than to have my downhill reward stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    68 degrees and a tailwind tonight. Three PR's coming home. Busted 2000 miles for the year. Great way to start the weekend.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Congrats on the miles and PR's!!!

Rides today sucked. Windy and cold for both. The sun came out 5 minutes after I got to work and it warmed up almost 10°. Was cold and guess which way the wind was blowing on the ride home? Looking ahead to next week the temps are looking decent. Not trying to get my hopes up or anything....

mtbr member
    Took the road along the river, longer but was nicer. Nice 8 degrees. Had a chat with a retired guy walking his dog about fatbikes, tire studs, then 29ers. He rips a giant 29er full suspension! River trail is super saturated yet and some snow so the 29er would be a work out and a half. Swear i look at fatbikes online everyday. Would ride it almost more than my 29er.
    2014 Rocky Mountain Trailhead 29er

2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

mtbr member
    After work yesterday, I took the oldest boy camping with some friends for a birthday party. Good times were had by all, except for the late bedtime and early rise for me. The state park we stayed at is about 16 miles away from the office, and it's a pretty straight shot.

My legs weren't up to par, as I was hoping to average around 20, but it was closer to 16. Just didn't have the strength to push those big gears today.

Almost had another incident. I was on a large 6 lane road coming to a popular intersection. Guy pulls up to the light on my right as I'm making my way through, but stopped as if he recognized that I was there and would wait until I passed to proceed with his right on red. Well, he didn't. He pulled right out in front of me and I locked up the wheels while yelling to get his attention. He stopped right in the middle of the right hand lane and bike lane. I moved to the middle lane to go around him and he pulled forward and blocked my path. I finally yelled at him "JUST STOP! Let me get over to the bike lane! I don't know what you're doing but stop doing it and let me over!"

At that point he rolled down his window and told me "Well, go, before I run you over" and sped off. I tried to get a plate number but he was too fast, the guy gunned that engine. Other than that, I had no problems.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

I'd rather be on my bike
    Decent ride in and home. Temps are still too low which is depressing. The high during the day now is hitting at about 5-6 PM which is pretty odd. Had 3 female college students crossing the street while I waited to turn right onto the main road. One said she loved my bike. Coming home tonight, taxi passed me with drunk college kids in it, guy said he would buy me a shot at the bar if I came, and the girl told me she loved me, like seriously loved me. Got home, and somehow the headset worked its way a little loose. Got that taken care of rather quickly. No ride tomorrow which bums me out. 80% of rain, then rain mixed with snow into the night. Pressed my luck 3 times in the last week with precipitation so I will drive instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I made two mistakes today. Trusted the hourly weather forecast, and rode the bike with shorty fenders. Sleet and freezing rain followed me home from the grocery store.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ precisely why I did not ride tonight and I am really glad I didn't. 35mph winds and sunny. After I got to work, then the snow started. That wasn't too bad. Then the rain started. OK, happy I didn't ride. Then the raining snow started mixed with sleet and hail? Yeah, good call on driving. Roads were wet when I left work in the car, and the temp is above freezing but I could just see it getting bad.

mtbr member
    This morning was pretty good. Took the short 6.5 mile route in since I needed to be at the office earlier than usual. Dropped into the 40's overnight, which isn't something I was anticipating. Forgot my gloves, but everything else was fine.

I initially thought that it might be a holiday or something and I missed the memo. I live off of an arterial road that leads to a large industrial complex near the airport, so it's usually quite busy when I leave for work. I didn't see a single soul for 2 miles, and until I made it close to downtown, they were still few and far between.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Took the road along the river, longer but was nicer. Nice 8 degrees. Had a chat with a retired guy walking his dog about fatbikes, tire studs, then 29ers. He rips a giant 29er full suspension! River trail is super saturated yet and some snow so the 29er would be a work out and a half. Swear i look at fatbikes online everyday. Would ride it almost more than my 29er.
    Hey solarplex, I'm going to help you out! I had quite possibly my best fatbike ride ever over the weekend. (been at it for over 2 years). Both of the other guys just bought their first fatbikes and were smiling the whole time. Maybe it's time to stop looking
    The Candid Cyclist: Awesome, Just Awesome
    Oh, and the commute in this morning was awesome too. We still have 0' to 3' of snow in the woods and I skipped the trails as much as I could and just rode through the woods. I took some video I could post if I have time.

Not sure what you are looking at but the Framed Minnesota 2.0 is a lot of bike for the money and they are popping up on craigslist at even better deals. Just bought one for my wife with upgraded tires & pedals for $650

I hope that helps you make a decision.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    New one for me this morning.

Crossing some railroad tracks that had those rubber grade blocks around the tracks, I did not see the gap between two of the rubber blocks and my front wheel sucked down into the gap (gap was perpendicular to the tracks).

Over the bars I went.

It was a slow-speed crash and I was fine but now my bike was stuck between the two rubber blocks and I could not pull it loose! I had visions of a car coming along and crushing my bike.

I finally figured out that I had to get behind the handlebars and pull up and backwards.

Sheesh, what a way to start the day.

Bedwards Of The West
    So now you can't ride at an angle across the tracks, and you can't ride perpendicular across them either!!

Maybe next they'll install a nice wheel-grabbing gap device at a 45 degree angle to the tracks.

...I'm not saying that a fatbike is the solution, but you have to ask yourself if you'd have floated right over that gap on a fatty N+1.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Had to take a later bus, so that stunk - Seward's day, a state holiday that the bus has reduced service for, yet only a small proportion of the ridership gets the day off.

Apart from that, the MUP trails are back to almost all pavement, so I'll be back to my normal off street route again.

Still waiting to get the Farley back from the shop. I had to bring it in on Saturday as they needed to take more pictures of it for the warranty claim. I ended up just leaving it with them. I really hop Trek doesn't try to weasel out of the claim.

By the by, I am looking to sell the Farley if anyone is interested...

Of course the shipping would be killer.

CB of the East
    Over the bars I went.
    Ouch!

I'm not sure a fatbike would work for Woodway's lengthly commute.

mtbr member
    My legs are killing me today (in an okay, muscle-related way), and I have no idea why. The trails are terrible, so on the weekend I did two sortof hard mostly-pavement rides on the fixie. I assume that's what caused this? But I've been riding that bike at least weekly all winter. I'm amazed that "summer" riding can be so different from winter.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I've got some of that going on also. I have a 6 mile loop from my house that takes me about an hour and is just over 1000 feet of elevation gain. I haven't ridden it in a while, and I hit it yesterday on the fatbike (doing my duty of packing the primitive trails). I haven't climbed like that on the fatbike yet I wanted to get in at under an hour, so I just kept moving...not pushing too extremely hard, but no stopping. 57 minutes. 6 miles...pretty pathetic, but oh man today's commute hurt.

guy
    Finally found what was causing my flats - a tiny curved piece of metal. Looked like a shaving from someone drilling a hole in metal. I had to look at the tire 3 times before I found it as it was just barely poking through the inside of the casing and was fully embedded in the tread on the outside.

Rode my first metric century over the weekend in 18 degree weather. I don't think I would have done it if I hadn't gotten my seasoning while commuting this winter. I figured the legs would be shot this morning but they felt fresh. Temperature was a lovely 37F with a tiny tailwind and not a cloud in the sky. Feels like its been 6 months since we had blue skys here so it was a real treat of a commute this morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    My legs are killing me today (in an okay, muscle-related way), and I have no idea why. The trails are terrible, so on the weekend I did two sortof hard mostly-pavement rides on the fixie. I assume that's what caused this? But I've been riding that bike at least weekly all winter. I'm amazed that "summer" riding can be so different from winter.
    Mine are, too. Though I know why for mine - took my fat, slow dog for a run yesterday. Not sure who was fatter or slower - him or me! I do know that he slowed to a walk before I did, so that's good. I guess.

I'd venture that the fixie uses your legs just a bit differently than a geared bike and that is where the pain is coming from.