Page 336 of 632 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 346 386 436 ... LastLast
Results 8,376 to 8,400 of 15794
    mtbr member
    There are a lot of snowmobile trails in new england. I'm not intimately familiar with it, but I don't think that there is a huge network, more on a regional basis. The state of New Hampshire grooms many miles of snowmobile trails. The state has also put lots of money into Jericho State Park for Atv use in summer, and sled use in winter, so Berlin approved an ATV/snowmobile route thru the heart of town to link access to the park and the existing logging roads and trail systems on the other side of town. Luckily for me, that means a trail to work, grocery store, pub, pizza...everything really. A lot of it runs through a park/drainage/old railroad part of town, and part of it runs on the sidewalk, or side of the road, but they leave/put snow there, and the sleds pack it down. The best part is the pretty well respected speed limit through town.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ VT is only 200 miles long but has about 5000 miles of snowmobile trails, so you don't have to go far to find one. I lived close to one in Maine too. They are used more for recreation than transportation, although stores, diners, and gas stations accessible from the trails do a brisk business.

Have a fun and safe trip if you get to go, Rodar!

mtbr member
    No commute today except for walking out to the shed and gathering stuff needed for a wash and tune-up. I know it's a mental thing but the bike felt lighter after cleaning it up. Oh yeah, fabricated a mini fender that sits between the rear tire and the seat tube, going to see if that reduces chunk on the derailleur. Last commute of the year tomorrow, forecast is calling for snow with temps in the 20s, heckuva way to end the year.

Hope everyone has a safe and festive New Year!

mtbr member
    It was a nasty snowy morning. 2-4 inches fresh, still snowing when I left this morning. My local neighborhood roads were passable, nice to ride on fresh virgin powder. The main roads though were a sloppy icy snowy mess, further exacerbated by a lack of snow plows (like it's a holiday or something...). I struggled on for awhile and then a nice couple offered me a ride. We were going the same place and the roads were getting worse so I took the offer. Good thing too, it was even worse by my work. So half a commute this morning, we'll see how the roads look in a couple hours to go home...I may get a ride that way too!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

My 100% Year

I'm at work today getting ready to leave for home in an hour or so thus completing my first 100% commute year. For me, 100% means that I exclusively rode my bike to and from my workplace all year. The workdays I did not ride were either vacation days, days I worked from home or days I travelled for my job.

My 2012 by the numbers:

Commute days: 180
    Commute miles: 6,480
    Commute Ascent: ~351,000 feet (66.4 miles)
    Commute Time: 425 hours, 52 minutes (almost 18 days commuting on the bike!)
    Average Low Temp: 45F
    Average High Temp: 58F
    Coldest Day: 25F (January 17)
    Hottest Day: 87F (August 17)
    Rides in the rain: 91 (not days, if it's raining both ways that counts as two rain rides)
    Rides in the snow: 4
    Total Miles for the year including rec. rides: 7,544

Went down three times this year, all because of ice (no injuries). A couple of close car encounters, but no crashes.

I thought I would end with more total miles this year, but I ended up dialing back my recreational riding because I found that after commuting for a full week (180 miles, almost 10,000 feet of climbing) many weekends I just did not feel like climbing back onto my bike.

For 2013 I expect to bike commute maybe 90% of the time. I'll drive to work on occasion to break things up and leave myself more options for recreational rides with my wife and friends.

I've enjoyed all your "How was your commute today?" photos and stories this year. Hope that you all have a safe New Year and tailwinds in 2013.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    goin out the same way I came in.
    day after day, solo or no.
    unless I'm home, I'll be out there!

Best wishes to all!

(and to those who supported me with the T2T- extra thanks!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-dec31stmorning.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

~Disc~Golf~
    Man, I feel like a B-student compared to some of y'all - Great job 100%ers (That's worth a big fat rep! )

I was like a 85%?
    Though, I don't own a car, I did take rides home form a coworker that has to drive past my place on the way home... If it's kinda yucky outside, he'll offer, I especially take him up on it if it's a south-wind, or weather came in that I did not expect. - But hey, that's carpooling right?!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Moderator Moderator
    The last commute of 2012 was the slowest on record, just over 2 1/2 hours for 6.4 miles of snow. We've gotten about 2' in a short time and the snowmobile trails were just not packed down enough to make for good travel on the uphills especially. The downhills were a lot of fun, some were a bit churned up reducing my speed and control.

Then the groomer came through, which leaves a pretty and smooth frosting-like surface, but also some soft spots that stopped me. On the plus side, I got some benefit from experimenting with lowering the tire pressure even more (I'm hesitant to have it too low for the 2 miles of dirt and paved road).

Next my off-trail short-cuts that I had packed down with fatskis for 8 passes over the weekend were postholed to death by walkers, making even pushing difficult due to the pothole-like postholes. And finally, more open sections of my personal feeder trail were blown back in to full depth, making riding impossible. I was glad to get home. Bring on 2013, happy new year, commuters!

mtbr member
    ^^ True Grit. Our family record driving was 60 mile commute in 2 1/2 hours mostly on Interstate with a north wind off Lake Erie when we lived south of Cleveland. Mine was 35 miles in 1 3/4 hours that same night. Yours is more impressive. Hopefully not as scary.

BrianMc

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^... 60 mile commute in 2 1/2 hours mostly on Interstate ...
    are we talking the same thing?
    BIKES
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ No, driving is scarier. I loaned my all wheel drive to a friend working at one of the ski areas and white knuckled it driving her van Saturday.

Moderator Moderator
    Last night's pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1000233-800x600-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000231-800x600-.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ Looks soft. What's the trail report? Good for 2.3" tires yet?

My last commute ended up being over a week ago due to a cold and weather. I'm about to tally the #s and I'll post them to my blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ No, driving is scarier. I loaned my all wheel drive to a friend working at one of the ski areas and white knuckled it driving her van Saturday.
    You understand what I was trying to say. For those who didn't. Be thankful. And pray you never experience it.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Bedwards, Still soft, I think you'll need a warm up & re-freeze...or a fatbike

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I just did a recon mission. The trails here are a no-go, even for a fatbike. Not even snowmobiles have been out. Probably because none of the lakes are solid (not that it usually stops them) so the trails in-between aren't being used. The lake should be good to go after this week's frigid temps.

mtbr member
    Oh boy, gonna be in the negatives tomorrow and Wednesday...time to bust out the goggles I think.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Winter arrived here in Austin last week. Was beginning to wonder if it would ever drop down outa the 60's and 70's. Wore long sleeves all week (honest) and finally broke out the commuter with fenders for the first time in over a year yesterday. This is our best riding season I hear from locals. Determined to ride all summer this year too.

I Ride for Donuts
    The two weeks off? They're great, thanks

Rodar, been feeling for you. Single digit mornings around here for a few days now. White Christmas and then some... We've got 18-20 inches on the ground at home, and it hasn't been above freezing since before Christmas.

Congrats to the 100%ers...that's big. My year ends in June, and I'm still sitting at 1.5 driving days.

Santa brought me a GoPro...2013 will be well documented
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ...Santa brought me a GoPro...2013 will be well documented
    Cool, no POV crash vids with you lying in the street (BrianMC). Funny POV crash videos are OK.

We got our first serious cold snap. It was 3 when I left but my wife said it was -5 when she pulled in here at work. I've still got the tail end of a cold and my bike had frozen cables so my bike was in single speed mode. All of that means I got to enjoy the beautiful crisp morning air for about an hour on my way in.

5853 Miles!!! : Year End Summary

Moderator Moderator
    5F here and snowing again! The last half mile…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ahhh Chinook for the foresable future....

Lots of car snot though

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, it sure is nice to have at least a week of nice weather to look forward to.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Holy Smokes you all are riding in some serious cold. Makes the 27F I rode in this morning seem down right balmy.

I did have one serious pucker moment this morning. Know that feeling when you realize your going too fast for conditions and your not sure you can hold it together? Our below freezing temps brought black ice on the roads. Descending a hill at 28MPH I was setting up for a left turn at speed when I realized I was on ice. I GENTLY applied the brakes...back end was fishtailing...no way I could make the left so I ended up going past my turn until I got things under control and then had to U-turn and climb back up the hill to resume my route. Got to be a little more careful tomorrow...

weirdo
    ^^ VT is only 200 miles long but has about 5000 miles of snowmobile trails, so you don't have to go far to find one.

Have a fun and safe trip if you get to go, Rodar!
    200 miles from top to bottom? Ha! Around here, 200 miles is across the street
    Thank you! I went, a few (very few) pics and link to ride report in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    It was a nasty snowy morning. 2-4 inches fresh, still snowing when I left this morning. My local neighborhood roads were passable, nice to ride on fresh virgin powder.
    Nuthin finer! Sorry about the "sloppy mess" part- hope it either melts off or freezes smoothly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I was like a 85%?
    Though, I don't own a car, I did take rides home form a coworker that has to drive past my place on the way home...
    Highdell, you get a lot of non commute "utility" riding, don`t you? That can be a bear! Once in a while I drag a couple panniers full of groceries home, and compared to my touring experiences, groceries can easily get heavier than camping gear!

The last commute of 2012 was the slowest on record, just over 2 1/2 hours for 6.4 miles of snow.

On the plus side, I got some benefit from experimenting with lowering the tire pressure even more (I'm hesitant to have it too low for the 2 miles of dirt and paved road).
    Brutal!
    I never thought about it before, but I bet airing up fat tires is quite a chore with a mini pump. Maybe you need a battery powered compressor for rides that beg for tire pressure changes!

^^ No, driving is scarier.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Rodar, been feeling for you. Single digit mornings around here for a few days now. White Christmas and then some... We've got 18-20 inches on the ground at home, and it hasn't been above freezing since before Christmas.

Santa brought me a GoPro...2013 will be well documented
    Not so much snow here (about 3 inches and none left on the roads), but yeah- cold. I don`t think we`ve gotten up to 32 since Christmas either. GoPro? Whoohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've still got the tail end of a cold and my bike had frozen cables so my bike was in single speed mode.
    5853 Miles!!!
    Frozen cables is REALLY a friction system
    Awesome mileage, Bedwards! I was surprised a few pages back when you mentioned you`d only been racking it up like that for a few years, so even awesomer.
    Good luck kicking the rest of your cold.
    Recalculating....