Page 335 of 435 FirstFirst ... 235285325331332333334335336337338339345385 ... LastLast
Results 16,701 to 16,750 of 21742
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ I hope the confrontation remained verbal, and unrecorded.

I had my best commute in months. No snow anywhere (except the melting piles in parking lots), no ice, no brushes with crazed motorists.

And then I couldn't get my U- lock to close on campus, argued and argued, and eventually won. Went out to free the Bosanova and ride home, and argued and argued to get the lock off. Hit it with some Kroil when I got home and worked it back and forth a few dozen times, will douse it with white lithium in the morning. Some maintenance doesn't like to be overlooked through a salty winter.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ all verbal with a middle finger blazing as I turned left and he laid on the horn.

Checked Strava - it appears that I have commuted 27 days so far this year. Not as impressive as I had hoped.

Edited because apparently I cannot count
    Last edited by TenSpeed; 03-20-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Miscount
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 232.7/5000

Moderator Moderator
    A bluebird morning for yesterday's commute!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1050766.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Soaking mist and 44F this morning. I'm glad I overdressed or I would have gotten cold.

I might need to dial back my track stands a bit. Yesterday, I was looking to make a left turn, and the guy coming towards me in the other lane was a bit tentative to go (traffic wasn't moving fast anyway). I should have put a foot down to send the right signals, but I held my track stand, lifted one hand, and waved him through. He still seemed confused.

mtbr member
    3 or 4 inches of really dense snow this morning, for the first time in forever. I did the big spring singlespeed switchover last week and I don't have any bikes with gears anymore, but that's the risk I take.

And this is probably for the best, because the trails have been impassable for 2 weeks already - everything is covered in a layer of polished ice that just refuses to melt and is basically unrideable even with studs, and then there are a couple of disgusting mudholes. This should roughen things up enough that a weekend ride might actually be worthwhile.

CB of the East
    Trails are awesome, just awesome. Want to see?
    The Candid Cyclist: Trails are still awesome - see Strava for proof

I'd rather be on my bike
    3 KOM's? Congrats!!!

mtbr member
    Good ride in this morning, not that I really wanted to come in to work, but I did it anyway...

Last night I had a good ride home. Put in a few extra miles and tackled one of the really nasty hills in town. Not sure of the grade, but it is short and steep and a quad killer. I love it. Got to the top and a dude pulls around me in his beater car, smoking a smoke, gives a quick honk and raises his hand in a heavy-metal horns salute. That's what I'm talking about.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    3 KOM's? Congrats!!!
    Thanks. These trails don't get much Strava traffic so I mostly win them from myself. And it is mainly condition based. It's a lot easier to go 20mph down a practically paved trail vs the same trail with roots, & rocks. It still gives me something fun to reach for when I'm feeling spunky.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Thanks. These trails don't get much Strava traffic so I mostly win them from myself. And it is mainly condition based. It's a lot easier to go 20mph down a practically paved trail vs the same trail with roots, & rocks. It still gives me something fun to reach for when I'm feeling spunky.
    Just think, when the next person comes along and sees what you have done, they will assume that you are just a beast 100% of the time.

CB of the East
    Well, actually, there is a guy that tried to get a KOM there in the summer that crashed and ended up in the hospital. Strava claims another one.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Good ride in this morning, not that I really wanted to come in to work, but I did it anyway...

Last night I had a good ride home. Put in a few extra miles and tackled one of the really nasty hills in town. Not sure of the grade, but it is short and steep and a quad killer. I love it. Got to the top and a dude pulls around me in his beater car, smoking a smoke, gives a quick honk and raises his hand in a heavy-metal horns salute. That's what I'm talking about.
    Metal horns. That's awesome. I'm jealous, because at best I get "woooo!" or like a sarcastic yee haw.

Yesterday morning I got the best time for the year on a hill. Two weeks and I'll have lost the segment. Oh well. It's a hill and I'm on a single speed. I still win de facto right?
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One of those days. Every motorist on the road was in an all fired awful hurry, no- one seemed to know where they were going or how to get there. But, it was a pretty day and no one got hurt.

mtbr member
    Rolled the 29er Wednesday (so fast!). Had to take my truck into the shop Thursday and it had to stay the night. Snowed this morning and took the winter 26er (so slowwwww). Drove the truck home, now 29er rear wheel needs to go in and get relaced, popping spokes constantly
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good ride in but windy. I have made a bad habit of stopping in at the bike shop to BS for a few minutes with the guys on my way in to work. It is about half way on my route and they don't seem to mind but it is preventing me from getting into a rhythm when I am riding. Ride home was pretty good, a bit on the cold side but still good. Picked up my second KOM right outside of work, well, I tied the time of the guy who has it and it says that we both have it now so I guess that counts? I will need to go ahead and shave a second off of my time to get that locked in. Didn't want to be that guy, but apparently I am turning into him haha.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Did a short one mile ride to go get sauerkraut. As I was getting to the door, another approaching guy who saw me ride into the lot opened the door and said "go ahead brother, you're living strong ". They were out of sauerkraut though, so it ended up being just mustard with the bratwursts.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have never ridden for sauerkraut.

Today was wet. It rained all night, but let up for the commute... sun came out, everything was soaked and green. There was a rainbow. I had fenders. Took the 10 mile route.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have never ridden for sauerkraut.
    Really? I thought everybody did. Bicyclists of Iowa City: Sauerkraut Days ride to Lisbon | Iowa City, IA Patch

We're having some of the best late winter riding here. We paid the price with nearly a month of snow too deep to ride but the base is amazing. Had a good group ride this weekend on trails that are so close (abutting the ones I ride every day)but so far away (they go in the wrong direction so I'd never tried them).
    The Candid Cyclist: Riders from different groups collide; not literally

mtbr member
    No riding for kraut for me, either.

Had a good bit of riding this weekend. a 23 mile day total on Friday, 12 on Saturday with one of the dogs and a 33 mile road/trail ride yesterday. Some bad came out of that, though. Got home and washed the bike and as I was lubing it up after its bath I noticed that on the rear wheel on the drive side at every other spoke, the rim is cracked around the nipple. Some of the nipples are starting to pull through the wall where the rim is cracked. Not cool. Called the shop and they are going to warranty it out for me, but they don't have any of the MuleFut wheels in stock, so it'll be at least a week before a new one comes in. I think they are going to set me up with a loaner wheel in the mean time. We figure it is probably bad tension from the factory, but... who knows how long I've been riding like that. This might explain some of the 'floppiness' I've felt on the rear for a few weeks on hard turns - where it feels like the back is going to slide out - I just thought it was a tire issue.

Decent ride in this AM. Taking it slow and easy due to the wheel issue - I know I shouldn't be riding it, but I have to get to work some way - and my legs are a bit stiff today. By the time today is said and done I'll have close to 30 miles in for the day again, as I have to run all over town today. Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got home and washed the bike and as I was lubing it up after its bath I noticed that on the rear wheel on the drive side at every other spoke, the rim is cracked around the nipple. Some of the nipples are starting to pull through the wall where the rim is cracked.

which way are the cracks oriented? acoss the rim or along the rim.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=blockphi;11856514]Along the rim.

Hah

I have had that problem...

I had a Mavic XLR wheel....it cracked in exactly the same way but only valve stem hole.

I later found out that Mavic rates its rims for max pressure....the larger the tire the lower the inflation pressure allowed...

I was running a 2.35 inch studded tire at 65 psi (max inflation pressure) the rim was limited to 52 psi at 2.35 inch.

The failure pattern is indicative of tensile failure at a stress riser...due to hoop stress in the rim caused by the tire pressure.

It will likely reoccur if you run the same tires at the same pressures...

I was never able to fix it...

I did drill out the end of the crack with a 1/16 inch drill to help end the crack....then operated below 40 psi....could never run tubeless cause the valve stem would leak...but tubes were fine. Course I only had one crack at the valve stem not multiple cracks.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jeffscott;11856540]
    Along the rim.

Hah

I have had that problem...

I had a Mavic XLR wheel....it cracked in exactly the same way but only valve stem hole.

I later found out that Mavic rates its rims for max pressure....the larger the tire the lower the inflation pressure allowed...

I was running a 2.35 inch studded tire at 65 psi (max inflation pressure) the rim was limited to 52 psi at 2.35 inch.

The failure pattern is indicative of tensile failure at a stress riser...due to hoop stress in the rim caused by the tire pressure.

It will likely reoccur if you run the same tires at the same pressures...

I was never able to fix it...

I did drill out the end of the crack with a 1/16 inch drill to help end the crack....then operated below 40 psi....could never run tubeless cause the valve stem would leak...but tubes were fine. Course I only had one crack at the valve stem not multiple cracks.
    It seems that if it were an issue of too high of air pressure that it would be a single point of failure rather than 8 of the 16 spokes on the drive side - the pressure causing failure at the weakest point rather than at multiple points.

Though this is a good thing to look into. Of course, Sun's website has bupkus for tech specs on the rim.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me today. Taking a break after a 44 mile ride yesterday in the cold and wind. Legs need a break and my mind does as well.

Bedwards Of The West
    A crack at every other spoke on only one side of the rim seems like a tension issue to me. That's crazy.

Can't decide if this means I should give my bike a good cleaning and inspection, or never clean it again because I don't want to find anything

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It seems that if it were an issue of too high of air pressure that it would be a single point of failure rather than 8 of the 16 spokes on the drive side - the pressure causing failure at the weakest point rather than at multiple points.

Though this is a good thing to look into. Of course, Sun's website has bupkus for tech specs on the rim.
    The failure almost certainly occurred first at one spoke hole...the one that was most over stressed when you hit a bump and increased air pressure, or it occurred and the "weakest spoke hole" perhaps a clightly out of round drill hole...

In any case the load would then increase on the remain spokes holes and a chain of events type pattern would emerge.

mtbr member
    I had a velocity p35 do that after a year, and the tensions weren't that high, and the replacement has been going strong for 3+ years. Sometimes things just need to be warrantied.

mtbr member
    The mechanic thought that they were probably over-tensioned from the factory - but he said he'll check the tension on the new wheel before we install to make sure that it is good and then just watch it and if the same issue occurs with the new wheel, we'll track it down.

It still seems odd that every other spoke is cracked at the nipple - if the cracks are the result of being over stressed, I would expect that one or two or maybe even three would crack, but then the tension should have been released enough to prevent the others from cracking. These are on the cross spoke on a 2-cross pattern.

Commuter - wouldn't hurt to check, but I don't know that I've heard of Rolling Daryls having this issue ever. I tend to think it's just the luck of the draw for me and probably as much a manufacturing issue as anything else.

I would be interested to see what the manufacturer's life expectancy is for all the different parts in a bike, in use hours. I bet most of my failures are simply hitting those expectancies faster than the typical customer either through riding more often or the fact that all of my riding is on one bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The mechanic thought that they were probably over-tensioned from the factory - but he said he'll check the tension on the new wheel before we install to make sure that it is good and then just watch it and if the same issue occurs with the new wheel, we'll track it down.

It still seems odd that every other spoke is cracked at the nipple - if the cracks are the result of being over stressed, I would expect that one or two or maybe even three would crack, but then the tension should have been released enough to prevent the others from cracking. These are on the cross spoke on a 2-cross pattern.

Commuter - wouldn't hurt to check, but I don't know that I've heard of Rolling Daryls having this issue ever. I tend to think it's just the luck of the draw for me and probably as much a manufacturing issue as anything else.

I would be interested to see what the manufacturer's life expectancy is for all the different parts in a bike, in use hours. I bet most of my failures are simply hitting those expectancies faster than the typical customer either through riding more often or the fact that all of my riding is on one bike.
    Simple test get an old wheel overtighten up the spokes, load it til it fails....not the same pattern.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I swapped my studded tires for my normal ones, man do I feel fast. I never realized how heavy the studded tires were until I went back to regular. I can't wait to smoke some roadies when weather gets a little better.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    The failure almost certainly occurred first at one spoke hole...the one that was most over stressed when you hit a bump and increased air pressure, or it occurred and the "weakest spoke hole" perhaps a clightly out of round drill hole...

In any case the load would then increase on the remain spokes holes and a chain of events type pattern would emerge.
    It's always an uphill battle for you, man. I feel for you.

My commute was great. Had my mechanic dad help me set up my bb7s Sunday since he's in town. These things are so much better than my crappy stock brakes. They stop so well I even skidded the bike on accident (locked tires) because I'm just not used to responsive breaking like that. I'm pleased. It was also nice having gears again. Set three personal records, so I'm feeling good about biking today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Been nice going home the past few days. At the halfway point, I wind up shedding down to the shorts and a mid-weight long sleeve.

@blockphi I can't promise this is the reason, but when I saw that happening to WTB's first generation frequency rims, it was because they were using an alloy that was too hard (brittle). They switched, and the problem went away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Monday. Good commute. My bike is in dire need of a tuneup, with two spokes broke at the back rim. My mechanical skills have not gotten to changing broken spokes yet. Don't want to put my bike out of commission for a week at the bike shop. Guess I'll do nothing for the short term. Finally relented last year when the broken spokes hit four.

CB of the East
    blockphi, I have no idea why your rim is cracking. It's probably one of the reasons given here or a different one. It will either happen again or it wont. . Nice on getting it warrantied.

Winter is still hanging on hard, temps in the single digits this morning. The trails are holding up beautifully but mud season is inevitable. 50F & rain on Thursday will change things substantially.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Monday. Good commute. My bike is in dire need of a tuneup, with two spokes broke at the back rim. My mechanical skills have not gotten to changing broken spokes yet. Don't want to put my bike out of commission for a week at the bike shop. Guess I'll do nothing for the short term. Finally relented last year when the broken spokes hit four.
    I don't think I could stand to ride a bike with 2 broken spokes. Replacing them is pretty easy. Buy some replacements that are the same size (I always buy extras while I'm there). Pull the broken ones out noting how they are run (not critical unless you're critical, since you are riding with 2 broken spokes my guess is that you aren't that worried). Thread the new one back in and tighten till the wheel is true. The only catch is that you will need the tools to pull the cassette. If you don't have them, this would be a good excuse to get them. (chain whip, lockring tool specific to your cassette)

guy
    Yep it's pretty simple like bedwards said. If you don't want to drop the money on the tools, check to see if there is a bike coop near you. If so, just buy the spokes you need and take the wheel and spokes down there and someone should be able to teach you how to use the tools, how to change the spokes, and how to true the wheel after.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    If you don't want to drop the money on the tools
    I made my own chain whip with a flat bar of scrap and a piece of retired chain. 10 minutes with a drill and a chain tool and it was done. It's taken off dozens of cassettes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I don't think I could stand to ride a bike with 2 broken spokes. Replacing them is pretty easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Yep it's pretty simple like bedwards said...
    Ugh. Replacing spokes is the worst.

It's so many steps just to get at them: tire, cassette, rimtape, possibly detension perfectly good spokes to weave the new spokes in. And if you've been riding like that for awhile, there's the chance that the final squeezetest will break more spokes.

Not that it shouldn't be done, since leaving it just makes it worse. It's not difficult exactly, but I can't think of a worse bike maintenance task (maybe brake rotor truing).

CB of the East
    I usually leave the tire on and use the existing nipples. I also never detension any others. Sometimes that means slightly bending the replacement but the tension pulls it straight and I've never had a repeat failure. I also will mark the new spoke with a small piece of tape so I can go back an re-tension it if necessary. 5 minute job.

What usually takes the most time is when I decide to clean the cassette while I have it apart.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    It's so many steps just to get at them: tire, cassette, rimtape, possibly detension perfectly good spokes to weave the new spokes in. And if you've been riding like that for awhile, there's the chance that the final squeezetest will break more spokes.
    I never said it was a fun task, just that its not that difficult

mtbr member
    I'm getting seriously sick of this cold weather in the northeast. Yesterday I couldn't bring myself to get motivated to ride to work when it was 13 degrees in the morning. Today I found the motivation, it was 17. It's been the coldest Feb/March on record in Worcester, Providence and Hartford. I'm the closest to Worcester, the average Feb/March temp has been just over 20 degrees. So done with this.

That being said, I made it to work alive and well, so there's that...

Bedwards Of The West
    I used a pair of vice grips for a chainwhip for a long time. An old chain, grab it with the vice grips, and bam..chainwhip. But then I bough a proper one and it is nice to have for sure. I don't like replacing spokes any more now that I have it though

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I used a pair of vice grips for a chainwhip for a long time. An old chain, grab it with the vice grips, and bam..chainwhip. But then I bough a proper one and it is nice to have for sure. I don't like replacing spokes any more now that I have it though
    lost my whip somewhere in the garage (it has since resurfaced)....so I just grabbed a chain with a glove on put it on the big sprocket....and I got the cassette nut off....they aren't really supposed to be to tight just 40 nm.

weirdo
    If you broke four last year, and now have two more broken, I say it`s time to respoke the whole wheel. That gets you out of "the worst" (replacing a few broken spokes) because lacing a whole wheel is the most awesome immaginable way to spend time. Seriously, it`s zen nirvana! And the tools aren`t expensive- chain whip has been discussed, spoke wrench and the cassette wrench thingy are each about $10, don`t even think about buying a tension meter or special stand. The spokes will run more than the tools, and even that isn`t terribly expensive. Since you said your mechanical skills haven` gotten to that point YET, it sounds like you aspire to reach for the stars. Go for it now.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys for the advice. The guy at the bike shop last year told me that my spokes are likely breaking cause they weren't tempered (didn't know exactly what that meant but he said they likely weren't heated up to make them more stout--something like that). He said cheapie department store bikes with black spokes don't usually have tempered spokes. He was gonna redo the whole wheel but told me a cheaper alternative was to just fix the then broken spokes and see what happens. So I guess it's time for a new wheel or time for me to get busy learning how to replace spokes.

As for riding with two broken spokes, guess I am so used to a crappy ride that I don't even notice anymore. Been riding this Walmart singlespeed (40x16) cruiser so long that it's probably time for a better commuter. Probably got close to 4000k on it in two years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys for the advice. The guy at the bike shop last year told me that my spokes are likely breaking cause they weren't tempered (didn't know exactly what that meant but he said they likely weren't heated up to make them more stout--something like that). He said cheapie department store bikes with black spokes don't usually have tempered spokes. He was gonna redo the whole wheel but told me a cheaper alternative was to just fix the then broken spokes and see what happens. So I guess it's time for a new wheel or time for me to get busy learning how to replace spokes.

As for riding with two broken spokes, guess I am so used to a crappy ride that I don't even notice anymore. Been riding this Walmart singlespeed (40x16) cruiser so long that it's probably time for a better commuter. Probably got close to 4000k on it in two years.
    Galvanized. You have galvanized steel spokes (if that...are they painted?). They are weaker, but not because they haven't been tempered. Good quality spokes are drawn and/or cold/roll forged.

Unless your mechanic doesn't value his time or skills (a sad thing by itself), it would be cheaper to buy a new pre-built wheel. I whole-heartedly encourage learning to build wheels, though. Rodar is right, it's almost like a zen state, and it is almost magical following through building components that couldn't even support a fraction of your weight through to being able to support twice or more. There's no better feeling than the maiden voyage of a well built pair of wheels you put together yourself.

Today was chilly, wasn't really a fan of it. I didn't take off any layers on the way home. How soon I forget the cold, cold days of winter :/

Moderator Moderator
    A nice warm up from single digits this morning to just above freezing this evening. Switched to the cross bike. Yesterday when I grabbed the bus partway to avoid tardiness in the killer headwinds, the guy who has been yelling "you go girl" and "you're amazing" from his car stopped to chat. He then realized he had met me when I inspected a place he used to work...that's how VT is, really, really small.

CB of the East
    4000k on a walmart bike is impressive! When you do upgrade you will probably be amazed!

The rides have been so awesome this week. I took 3 different bikes to see if they compared the same as before. They pretty much did:
    The Candid Cyclist: Winter Bike Shootout Take 2

guy
    My full fendered commuter is sitting in the garage with a flat and its raining and 35F this morning...so I took the lazy route and drove rather than changing the tube this morning. I immediately felt shame when I got in my car and found it to be barely raining at all.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Starting a 7 day in a row stretch off on the wrong foot. It is raining here and I have to be in early for a meeting so I am driving. Rain should be clearing up by the time I leave, but tonights forecast is for a mix of freezing temps, rain and snow with potential ice. Going to pass on that. Not sure how much I will be riding this week. Weather looks to be uncooperative with my riding.