Page 335 of 592 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 345 385 435 ... LastLast
Results 8,351 to 8,375 of 14785
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went down pretty hard today. Most of the snow missed us (we just got a dusting), but we were hit with a ton of cold rain. The roads were dry as was the MUP through the park...except one spot. I didn't see the ice until after I hit it. My front tire slipped sideways, and I went over the bars and landed on my chest. While I was able to break the fall with my arms, my helmet visor hit the pavement as did my chin. Overall, I feel pretty good about the crash. I didn't lose any teeth or break anything. I just have some bruises, some scrapes, and the mess on my chin that looks like a really bad shaving accident.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Sorry S0ck. That's the kind of thing that sold me on studs. Those front wheel slides are the worst.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I went down pretty hard today. ... I didn't see the ice until after I hit it.
    ,,,and then you saw it way too up close

Sorry to hear about the crash. I think you're right though, it could have ended a lot worse. Hope you're feeling OK, I remember getting a terrible headache from falling on my chin on the ice as a kid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Sorry S0ck. That's the kind of thing that sold me on studs. Those front wheel slides are the worst.
    Yeah, studs are probably the way to go if your winters warrant that kind of thing. We just don't get enough snow or ice. I ran slicks just about all winter last year. This morning's commute was 99.9% slick friendly. At least the crash gave me a good excuse for running late.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    garmin says it was 35* this morning but I know it was colder. 20-25mph headwind the entire way in added an extra 20 mins to my 12 mile commute.

Boss was understanding though. (although she lives .75 miles away and drives everyday)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    was ok.
    late-night slapping on of the cross tires, tossed a rear fender in for good measure.
    big ole empty rack all for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-snowballz.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    It was awfully cold on the commute today. single digits in the morning and teens for the ride home. The roads still have quite a bit of the ice and the shoulders are not safe to ride, too much ice and slush. The bike path is clear in parts and solid ice in others. I have managed to stay upright, but have had a few "pucker" moments. Still better than any trip in a car.

mtbr member

Brrrrr

It was the coldest day I have commuted in so far this year. -26C, -36C with the windchill. My legs got a bit frosty but all in all it wasn't that bad. The roads were clear of loose snow but because of a wonky November that brought lots of freezing rain there is sheets of ice under the packed snow. My studded tires have a lot of traction and I have yet to have a problem this year. It was also nice because I would guesstimate that at least 65% of people working downtown took this week off so the traffic is very light.

mtbr member
    KCI-> ATL-> LOGAN @ 35,000 feet. Can't wait to get back on my bike in the oodles of snow that awaits me!!!!

weirdo
    Cold (but not THAT^^ cold) and dry, sun comming up nicely.

Sorry about that slide out, sOck. Ya know, even if a set of studs found their way to you for that perfect price, it`s kind of a tossup whether to even use them or not just for occasional ice. They really do hook up when you need them to, but I`m constantly battling myself over whether or not to deal with those sluggish b*strds. Funny thing- I had to ride through a lot more snow BEFORE I had studs than I have since I bought them
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    I took the fatbike today as I saw that the snowmo club had been through with the groomer overnight (they are hardcore). But the 1’ of new snow was still too fluffy, it needs some sled traffic to firm up enough to make riding it fun. The fatbike with new studded tires was good on the roads, though, more stable than the mtb in some of the thicker mealy snow. But it did have somewhat of a tendency to pack up on the slushier snow, making for wheels that became both fat and heavy. I also got a nice slush bath occasionally since I thought I wouldn’t need the fenders at 19F. I had another car slow right down next to me, but this time it was to chat about “my exercise program”, my “awesome” snow tires and “nifty” handwarmers. They were nice people. Upon arriving at work I got some extra exercise shoveling out 2 ½ work cars that had gotten plowed in as I had to use one to get to a meeting and fieldwork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-pc282557.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The fatbike with new studded tires...
    I probably missed an earlier post, but did you DIY the studs, or did you get the fancy 45nrth tires?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I got the 45nrth Dillinger$.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice $, quoted for truth! ;p

mtbr member

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mtbxplorer;10015890]^^ I got the 45nrth Dillinger$.[/QUOTE}

Even the folding version is not quite as expensive as an ice radial I have the big car, but close. Two come close to what I have in the errand bike without the Brooks. They do look awesome though! Hope you get use but not excessive use out of them this winter. I can understand why you got the drive beside conversation. Sure beats the headlight helper!

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    ^^You may recall that last winter when the fatbike was only 3 weeks old, NOT having the studded tires cost me a $300 carbon fork when I went down on ice and trashed it. That made the Dillinger$ seem a little more reasonable - especially since I could have just as easily trashed a body part. The snomo's have been out and the local mtb/xc ski trails just opened a winter bike trail - woohoo!

mtbr member
    ^^ After some crash expenditures myself and some sorely damaged body parts, I was not sure that mentioning the insurance value of the tires was appropriate.

I had a ride without studs that should have caused me grievous bodily harm. The recent incident with such harm, not counting the hospital expenses, would have bought me a pair of them, so yes, money very well spent.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    This can't be right...3F & rain??!!!
    from wunderground forecast...Friday Night
    Partly cloudy. Fog overnight. Low of 3F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%

Also heard a radio forecast for "snizzle" today

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This can't be right...3F & rain??!!!
    from wunderground forecast...Friday Night
    Partly cloudy. Fog overnight. Low of 3F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%

Also heard a radio forecast for "snizzle" today

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

weirdo
    One more half commute left for 2012, I think I`m gonna make it

Been snowing lightly almost all night, and soooo pretty outside that I hopped on the sleigh for a midnight run to the gas station for a Pepsi and a bagel dog.

Went back and forth over whether to go or not, finally decided for sure to take 200 KM New Years Eve ride in the tropical California lowlands to wrap up the post commuting year. Due to circumstances, I`m not positive I`ll be able to pull it off, but the forecast looks good, bike is ready (just need to swap out my studs), and I`m anxious to give it a solid shot.

I stopped on my way home for emergency storm supplies - 1 roll of toilet paper.
    Been there. In fact, I`m pretty sure my fastest ever ride involved going home with one roll of toilette paper in an emergency situation.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Just got back to NH after a week away. Came home to 16-17 inches of fresh snow. Couldn't wait to get out for a ride, so I took a break from shoveling to go to the grocery. Snowmobile trails are still a bit soft as the snow is super dry, but the streets and sidewalks were a blast.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    One more half commute left for 2012, I think I`m gonna make it

Been snowing lightly almost all night, and soooo pretty outside that I hopped on the sleigh for a midnight run to the gas station for a Pepsi and a bagel dog.
    I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to congratulate you on your 100%'r!

Where are the pics of this soooo pretty-ness???

Snowing again here too! Welcome back, Schott, our snomo trails are still a bit soft too. Need more sleds, I only saw one when I was skiing for 2 hours this a.m.

weirdo
    Now THAT`s pretty, Schott! Is there a whole system of snomo trails all over New England, or do the three of you all just happen to live close to some? A lot of people do it around here, and there are plenty of long trails (mostly lumber roads) in the mountains, but I can`t imagine actually using them for transportation.
    Where are the pics of this soooo pretty-ness???
    Hey man, it was the middle of the night! Gimme a break
    I`ll probably take a camera to CA though- Mrs Rodar had dibs on it for her trip (she`s visiting family down in SoCal), but I see she forgot it.
    Recalculating....