Page 334 of 573 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 344 384 434 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 14316
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ basically any day that I've worked, I've ridden. So that includes a few training days out in the boonies, doing some interviewing at the university, I think there was a site trip or two in there too, and one day I rode to the city centre airport to catch a flight to Calgary.

I have also had to get a rental to go down to Calgary a few times, which admittedly pushes the definition a bit. But that would be a 12+ hour ride, so I figure I'm allowed to cheat a bit on that.
    So sick days and vacation days don't count as a missed ride?

BTW the Sun is finally comming back, tomorrow will have a longer day than today ihave been waiting for that for a while now.

Ha you can fly out of city center to Calgary but not from Calgary to city center....or was it a charter?

By that definition I am a 100% going back probably 7 years. Ihave had a few surguries that take about a week to recover from I catch a ride to work for that week.

I Ride for Donuts
    **I should note that I break my "man up and ride" rule whenever I want, due to my "man up and break the rule" rule.

Shiggy, I just got a new phone with that panorama camera feature...Need to play with that. Cool pic. Beautiful area. Love it up there.

Congrats Newf. That's big. I started to bounce back yesterday and the ride home wasn't awful. Must have eaten something funny. In fact I took the long way to check out the frozen beaver ponds. Nasty headwinds from the incoming storm.

Studs went back on the Ogre this morning, and it was a mellow ride in with about an inch of fresh on top of pavement, and a nice tailwind. Snowing hard now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nice work all of you! 100% up in the great white north for 7 years is pretty impressive, no Jeff, you don't have to count days when you are having surgery or even the day after

I'm at about 92% for the year, not for lack of trying. I'm at 100% for the days I didn't' have other commitments but I don't think that counts.

mtbr member
    CB, that's a great pic.

mtbr member
    Well today is my last commute of the year. Vacation here I come! 100% bike commuter for three years now. I only count days when I work as commute days. It was a good ride today. Chilly. -10 at my house. No wind, perfectly clear sky, and well packed trails. Love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So sick days and vacation days don't count as a missed ride?
    Actually the last time that I count myself as having not ridden to work was sometime in 2010 when I sprained my ankle and spent a day hopping. I needed my wife to drive me in so that I could do one thing, and then she drove me right home again so it was basically a sick day. I really should declare that one void, and then my streak goes back even further.

I Ride for Donuts
    Well for those of us on weird schedules where the end of the year is actually the middle of the year... even though this is my last commute day of 2012, I'm celebrating the fact that it's the shortest day of the year and we'll now be moving closer to ditching the headlight and enjoying some daylight in the morning. Not to steal any of your well deserved celebrations...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Good job newf!

I define 100% as never driving the car to the office.

This morning I set out for the office and got a few miles down the road when I finally wised up to just how slick it was and how dangerous it was for me to be out there (I don't have studs, does not get under freezing often enough here to justify them). So I turned around and rode home and just decided to work from home for the day.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Nice work all of you! 100% up in the great white north for 7 years is pretty impressive, no Jeff, you don't have to count days when you are having surgery or even the day after

I'm at about 92% for the year, not for lack of trying. I'm at 100% for the days I didn't' have other commitments but I don't think that counts.
    I don't count if I have to drive out of town.....or if I have to drive to pick up lumber or something....

Thing is it is easier to ride to work then drive and find parking for me....I also ride to most of my appointments....again cause it is easier.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, a lot of 100%'rs out there.

I consider myself lucky on the ride home. The downpours stopped and the winds died down, the only difficulty was the dirt roads, which were like pedaling through wet concrete. Some parts of VT were really rough today, "Winds gusted to 125 mph on Mt. Mansfield at 10:35 a.m. Friday ó one of the higher readings recorded atop Vermontís tallest peak." Many towns on the western slopes of the Green Mountains got gusts in the 60's and 70's, and power poles snapped in two even without trees falling on the wires.

mtbr member
    -15C this morning, but -20C on the ride home. We got to go early, so for the first time in forever I actually got some sunlight on the way home:

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ oooh, pretty

mtbr member
    ^ it's worth noting that that was about 3:00, so it's not sunset - that's just as high as the sun gets at 53.5deg N.

mtbr member
    Love the pics.

Another day of high wind and our first snow. Big tree down on our power line.

New glasses to replace the ones that saved my right eye (the scratch resistant lens was gouged, the titanium badly bent.) I decided that the wind plus first snow and idiot drivers was not a favorable commuting situation. Besides I did not think they'd let a snow covered bike into the waiting room and there is no safe lockup outside. One accident is all I can afford in 2012.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    How do you define 100%, does not include vacation days? does not include days when not visiting the office? does not include sick days?
    That kind of question is like figuring out what counts as "commute mileage"- it isn`t going to be the same for everybody. I prefer to just count trips I make to work, then how many of those I ride or don`t ride. If you count every time the sun rises and falls as a day when you could conceiveably have ridden to work, that makes sense in its own way. Pretty simple for people like me whose workplace is always the same. For people who have satelite locations, work from home ops, frequent business travel, etc, it looks like they all come up individually with what seems like a reasonable way of counting and go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    In fact I took the long way to check out the frozen beaver ponds. Nasty headwinds from the incoming storm.
    Trippy. If you hadn`t mentioned ice, I`d have thought you Photoshopped your bike onto a liquid beaver pond. Pretty neat picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    One accident is all I can afford in 2012.
    One is plenty, but didn`t your pothole-water bottle- spokes co-alignment happen in 2012 also? Either way, I think you`ve paid your pedalin dues in full. Hopefully no accidents in 2013!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    One is plenty, but didn`t your pothole-water bottle- spokes co-alignment happen in 2012 also? Either way, I think you`ve paid your pedalin dues in full. Hopefully no accidents in 2013!
    Like I said, one is all I can afford!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    It was great, our neighboring town had a Bike Swap & BMX stunt show, which gave me a reason to take Midas out for a ride (and try out my lil cyclometer) So it took me about a good 30+ minutes to get there and fought some head wind. While at the event I found some nice items to buy, like some handlebars similar to these: http://1mg.me/?f=BTI&filename=NJ1452.JPG A pair of red platform pedals and a red Tektro V-Brake Set plus other odds and ends, and seen some nice bikes and cruisers, especially a Salsa Mariachi 01 29er, which was worth $5500, and yeah if i had the money I probably would've bought it LOL. The frame was a tan-like gold and I loved the wheel set and metallic red platform pedals, t'was a majestic steed it was. I was prolly out there about a good hour and a half and had a good time and got a nice lil' haul of goodies, especially the upgrades for Midas In mileage I put in 13 miles, and when I got back into town I decided to go ahead and do laundry (yawn).
    Saving up for a Yuba Mundo

Moderator Moderator
    Another inch or two of snow overnight made for a pretty ride in. This tree must have come down in Friday's high winds. The deer went around, I went over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Depending on how you look at it, I'm either a 100%'er or about a 75%er. I live too far away from the bus that will get me to work, so I either have to ride to the bus and catch the bus in, or ride all the way in. I don't have a car, and mostly drive my girlfriend's if I do decide to take motorized transport either way. I'm sitting on around 9600 mi for this year at the moment, mostly commuting. I did have 4 weeks off in September to renew my visa, and 3 weeks off to burn through sick and vacation time that was going to expire and/or recover from illness, so I went to work 26 fewer days than I did last year (sitting on 200 for the year at the moment with 3 to go, and did 229 commutes last year).

mtbr member
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, to all, and to all Good Night!

Congrats to all 100% commuters.

Brianmc

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I'm sitting on around 9600 mi for this year at the moment, mostly commuting.

I did have 4 weeks off in September to renew my visa, and 3 weeks off to burn through sick and vacation time that was going to expire and/or recover from illness,
    Man, I don`t think I could pedal up that many miles if I were completely retired! That`s amazing

I don`t envy you for having to mess with a visa, though. Sure hope the renewal was easier than the initial application. My wife has a greencard now, so it`s been a piece of cake, but I remember the battle it took to get that far- NOT for the faint of heart.
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Depending on how you look at it, I'm either a 100%'er or about a 75%er. I live too far away from the bus that will get me to work, so I either have to ride to the bus and catch the bus in, or ride all the way in. I don't have a car, and mostly drive my girlfriend's if I do decide to take motorized transport either way. I'm sitting on around 9600 mi for this year at the moment, mostly commuting. I did have 4 weeks off in September to renew my visa, and 3 weeks off to burn through sick and vacation time that was going to expire and/or recover from illness, so I went to work 26 fewer days than I did last year (sitting on 200 for the year at the moment with 3 to go, and did 229 commutes last year).
    Yazooks! Congrats hunter, that a lot of miles!

I'm thinking back...maybe a year or two ago...I remember meeting an aussie on the 520 trail and we rode together to Woodinville where I get off the SRT. He was telling me about his commute from MSFT over to Seattle and I was thinking "man my commute is long but this guy is nuts!". He might have been riding a single-speed that day. Any chance that was you?

weirdo
    Snow! My first ride in actual snow since about a year and a half ago! After I slipped on black ice and damaged my bike a few weeks ago, I`ve been putting up with my studded tires even over mostly dry roads, so it sure is nice to have some kind of visible reason to lug the nasty things along . We had remnants of about two inches snow from last night, then it started again and snowed for me whole trip (took the long way) in to work. I hope we get more overnight.

Bike maint this afternoon. Replaced a worn out chain, cleaned the contacts in my computer mount, replaced a bunch of flagging electrical tape (for managing lighting wires and pairing brake cable housing together with shift cable housing) with new stuff, then worked out a way to clip a plastic envelope with map/cue sheet onto my front bag.

New memo with news of our "holiday cheer" at work- as of tthe end of 2012, no more company match for 401(k). That will go nicely with last years freezing of our former pension fund. The good news is that the Surgeon General tells me I probably won`t need to make my savings last as long as most of today`s generation will
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Woohoo! Ride Safe! A good dump expected here also, tonight through Friday a.m. here. So I stopped on my way home for emergency storm supplies - 1 roll of toilet paper. I may bail on riding tomorrow, as I have the furnace guy coming for clean/tune first thing, and got the OK to do some work at home while I wait.

mtbr member
    Cold and wet. Snow started at lunch while we were out on a job so I got to test the new tires on a dry commute in and a wet/snow on the way home. By the time I got home I was warm except my feet which were soaked. Fenders worked right, tires worked perfect. Need shoe covers. Amazingly enough with the roads less than perfect and light low, shoulders white with snow, the drivers were a margin better. Still a few people who don't know where their edges are but the majority were better than usual. Still took the opportunity to upgrade my gloves to a new set of Salomon snowboard gloves with waterproof outsides. Yay for xmas money and company bonus...