Page 333 of 597 FirstFirst ... 233 283 323 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 343 383 433 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,325 of 14918
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    LeBron James says he bikes to most Heat home games to stay in shape | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

Commute was a little wet, but I had a wicked tailwind so I didn't feel it until I turned the corner near my workplace. The ride home will likely be wet and colder.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. A nice round 0.0 degrees, clear skies, and fast trails. Then the wind kicked in - 30 mph sustained from the north. Ride home's going to be a bit slower.

I Ride for Donuts
    Riding to work since '89 is pretty impressive

Rodar, are things contageous on the internet? I broke Jeffscott's 'above the neck/below the neck' rule this morning... weird stomach pains and a very long slow cold 6 miles. Not looking forward to the ride home.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    After several years of ALMOST 100% bike commutes, I`m still hanging in there on Dec 18th, so there ain`t no way I`ll be driving to work tonight.
    Hang in there rodar! I'm counting on us crossing the finish line together this year!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Riding to work since '89 is pretty impressive
    True, but shouldn't manbat be there by now?

Hope you feel better, CB.

I had trouble choosing steeds this morning, studded MTB or unstudded fatbike????? It's been snowing/raining/melting/freezing, etc. all week, leaving a wierd-textured +/-3" of snow behind. I initially regretted my choice (studded MTB) on the uphill trails where it floundered a bit, but there was enough ice that in the end I was happy with my selection. I also wanted to give that chainsuck fix (new granny) a good test, and it passed with flying colors.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ I wanted to take the cross bike today. I woke up to black ice warnings so the choice wasn't hard, the tank. I'm not ready to introduce the new 9er to salty roads yet. I'll keep it to icy trails, once they ice up again...waiting. It looks like next week the daytime highs aren't going to get above freezing so they should firm up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    28F, sun and clear roads and paths, the fair weather riders have gone away.

Dorkimus Prime

Rodar, are things contageous on the internet? I broke Jeffscott's 'above the neck/below the neck' rule this morning... weird stomach pains and a very long slow cold 6 miles. Not looking forward to the ride home.
    Please elaborate, if there are commutersecrets we need to know!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Elaborate on what? The rule? Jeffscott the magnificent is quoted as saying that when you have a cold, if it's above the neck (sore throat, head cold...) go ahead and ride, and if it's below the neck (abdominal pains, stomach flu....) it's not worth it.

My personal rule is "man up and ride unless you might die" which is why I haven't driven to work since I got studded tires. I'm of the opinion that if I'm healthy enough to go to work, I'm healthy enough to ride. Today I am questioning if I was healthy enough to go to work...but I'm a teacher, it's finals week....and there's 2 weeks off waiting for me after tomorrow
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Dorkimus Prime
    ^^ Elaborate on what? The rule? Jeffscott the magnificent is quoted as saying that when you have a cold, if it's above the neck (sore throat, head cold...) go ahead and ride, and if it's below the neck (abdominal pains, stomach flu....) it's not worth it.

My personal rule is "man up and ride unless you might die" which is why I haven't driven to work since I got studded tires. I'm of the opinion that if I'm healthy enough to go to work, I'm healthy enough to ride. Today I am questioning if I was healthy enough to go to work...but I'm a teacher, it's finals week....and there's 2 weeks off waiting for me after tomorrow
    I wanted Jeff Scott's rule. Thought it my be JEDIrrific. I'm not so sure I'll adopt yours...

As an aside, I just bought Deuter Rack Pack "Uni" panniers and am almost ready for my innaugural commute. With 2 kids in competitive hockey, I just need to find a day with no hockey commitments.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member

Is it me...

or is it just harder to ride in the cold? I do the same route but am considerably slower now since the weather turned (the studded tires probably don't help either). Working harder to go the same distance is no fun.

Today was 7F when I left the house. Cold with a capital "F". My neoprene Walmart special gloves worked great, thinking I need socks in the same material though!. The main roads are just bare and dry now, sidewalks and half of the shoulder littered with icy nodules of pain. Talking to a guy at work who said our LBS told him he only 2 more months of riding left, 2 months ago, I showed him the bike and gear with a grin. He asked when I would stop and I said, "Haven't stopped yet, have I?"

On a related note, the studded tires are great. Feel very stable, even on sheer ice; not so great in snow per se but I'm really liking them. And officially, everyone at work thinks I'm crazy for riding at this time of year.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ It's definitely harder in the cold, especially when you get down to those single digits like you experienced today. Try to put your mind in a new frame of reference, forget your personal bests, leave early so you're not rushed, and just try to enjoy the ride. Don't even bother looking at your computer, GPS, etc.

Crazy is awesome. Pedal on.

mtbr member
    Pretty much sums up the ride home. I sure am glad I was going South. The morning commute was in about 3 inches of slush.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by thebigfish View Post
    Pretty much sums up the ride home. I sure am glad I was going South. The morning commute was in about 3 inches of slush.
    Got that wind down here today. Glad I haven't needed to go anywhere lately

mtbr member
    if it's above the neck (sore throat, head cold...) go ahead and ride, and if it's below the neck (abdominal pains, stomach flu....) it's not worth it.
    In the realm of below-the-neck I'd add hacking cough. I had one of those a few weeks ago, and I really shouldn't have ridden. Temperatures were just barely below freezing, but I felt like my lungs were on fire while being sliced up by razor blades. At one point on a longish detour home I stopped to cough and cough and cough and cough for like 5 minutes straight. Yeck.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It was snowing and icy yesterday. Hit a patch of ice covered with wet snow and went down, despite riding studded tires. Everywhere else the studs are great.

Today was frozen and slick in the morning. The Marathon Winters worked great.

Warmed up for the afternoon trip home. Wet bare pavement, slush. Nice view from the bridge.
    How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356071263.624136.jpg
    Looking south, with more than a 180 degree view. Columbia River. Like the blue sky over the Columbia Plateau to the east and storm clouds over the Cascades.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

weirdo
    ^^Wow, cool shot, Shiggy!

I`m feeling quite a bit better, but still not back to normal. I`m registered to ride my first brevet down near Sacramento on the 31st (DBC Last Chance 200K). I was worried about the weather before, now more concerned that I`ll still be dragging my butt in a sling. We`ll see, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    In the realm of below-the-neck I'd add hacking cough. I had one of those a few weeks ago, and I really shouldn't have ridden. Temperatures were just barely below freezing, but I felt like my lungs were on fire while being sliced up by razor blades. At one point on a longish detour home I stopped to cough and cough and cough and cough for like 5 minutes straight. Yeck.
    Yeah, lung/breating issues and cold temps probably aren`t a very good combination for any kind of exertion. Why does cold air induce coughing, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Cold with a capital "F".
    I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I wanted Jeff Scott's rule. Thought it my be JEDIrrific. I'm not so sure I'll adopt yours...
    Good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    True, but shouldn't manbat be there by now?
    It`s a long long way to Tipperary?
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Wow, lots of winter commuting stories! Sorry to hear about your crash Shiggy, Snow over ice is the worst.

Slushy, sloppy commute in today. I was running out of gears that worked by the time I got here and was wishing I had filled an insulated water bottle with hot water before I left.

Moderator Moderator
    Windy! The gusty winds that not only make it more work but also try to throw you off course. I tried the fatbike but too much heavy wet stuff had fallen overnight for me to even make it across the yard, so I tool the mtb and the roads instead. With the wind, and rainpants instead of woolies, I was chilly and zipped up the pitzips on my jacket for one of the first times - that helped. Traction was good with the studs, only felt a little sketchy on one highly crowned (off camber) section. My glasses got fogged but before I removed them I realized they weren't fogged, it was snowy sleety stuff on the outside, and a glove swipe took care of that. Once I got to the main road it was just wet and it was just a matter of fighting the wind the remaining miles. Changing over to rain and more wind for the way home - ick!

I stopped at the reservoir for a few pix...the little island looked pretty desolate.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We had a few 50-60 mph gusts yesterday. It made riding home interesting. Plus, I got my first flat of the year on the way home. I was only about a half mile or so away from home, so I pushed/carried my bike the rest of the way. It started sleeting for a bit, but luckily the worst of it held off until I got home.

mtbr member
    I'm off until the new year, so today is my 100% commute. That's 2 in a row, so whoo!

More ice-rink roads this morning, though. The longrange forecast is for snow snow snow and just general cold, so next week should be a good one to skip. Although I'm hoping to do a few fun rides.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Very impressed with you 100 percenters.

weirdo
    ^^200 percent for Newf
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'm off until the new year, so today is my 100% commute. That's 2 in a row, so whoo!

More ice-rink roads this morning, though. The longrange forecast is for snow snow snow and just general cold, so next week should be a good one to skip. Although I'm hoping to do a few fun rides.
    Congrats

How do you define 100%, does not include vacation days? does not include days when not visiting the office? does not include sick days?

mtbr member
    ^ basically any day that I've worked, I've ridden. So that includes a few training days out in the boonies, doing some interviewing at the university, I think there was a site trip or two in there too, and one day I rode to the city centre airport to catch a flight to Calgary.

I have also had to get a rental to go down to Calgary a few times, which admittedly pushes the definition a bit. But that would be a 12+ hour ride, so I figure I'm allowed to cheat a bit on that.