Page 332 of 606 FirstFirst ... 232 282 322 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 342 382 432 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 15128
    I Ride for Donuts
    Raining again this morning. Supposed to snow over the next couple days...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Cold one again this AM. -15 F when I left the house. By the time I got to work my left eyelid was frozen together at the lashes. Good times. Nice sheen of ice over all my clothes. Actually had to walk the bike up the final hill to work as I completely bonked. Crazy how the cold can drain a person so quickly. The cold also reminded me that I need to clean and relube the drivetrain. Things just didn't want to move this morning.

mtbr member
    Snowy and great. First real snow event from the new house, and on the new bike. There was about 6 inches and snowing when I left this morning. Surprising myself, the sidewalks were my friend...don't judge. I was on and off of them depending on snow piles and walkers. Sort of felt like Paperboy., it was a lot for fun. It handled the biggest plow lines with ease, so far. While I generally just ride straight to work, I poked my way down side streets and through the park and on the in-town snowmobile trail instead. Much safer and cleaner. I made it back up the hill to my house as well, twice. The traction was there, what a fun bike.

All cleaned up and lubed for a job well done.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice Schott! ...and I see I'm not the only on with the bike & tools in the kitchen.

weirdo
    Mean looking ride, Schott!

I drove with my inlaws yesterday to the next town south of here. Could see that big nasty storm front that CB mentions all the way down, but it seems to be stuck on the mountain and can`t quite move over to us in Reno. Studs going back on anyway- still not much hope of snow in town, but will probably be icy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Cold one again this AM. -15 F when I left the house. By the time I got to work my left eyelid was frozen together at the lashes.

The cold also reminded me that I need to clean and relube the drivetrain. Things just didn't want to move this morning.
    Does lubing do any good at temperatures like that? Do you use something special that doesn`t freeze up solid?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    1,650 bike commuting miles in 5 months...my first day in the car today. Bummed.

Woke up in cold sweats and a splitting headache, was going to sleep in a bit, shake it off and come in a few hours late but the kid that works for me called in sick. Can't leave the company without IT Support!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

I Ride for Donuts
    New batteries in the Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt headlight today. Wow. I never realize how bad it was getting until I throw new batteries in there. It's not a 'high end' light by any means, but it shines like the sun with new batteries...especially after not realizing that it's been almost dead for several days. I don't think I hit one pothole on the dirt road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Does lubing do any good at temperatures like that? Do you use something special that doesn`t freeze up solid?
    What I've found is that if I clean and lube each week that things don't get as crunchy. The only time I've had things freeze up was while using Pedro's all weather lube. I usually use T-9 or ProLink and haven't had issues other than when I don't clean it up regularly. I don't think it is so much the lube that freezes, as there is really a small amount left on the chain after it's wiped down, but it's more the collection of grime and attendant water that it traps that causes the chain to stiffen up in really cold temps.

Today's ride was much warmer -7F at my house this AM. Good ride. Trails are nice and firm so I bumped the pressure up on the tires and had a nice quick ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    New batteries in the Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt headlight today. Wow. ...especially after not realizing that it's been almost dead for several days. I don't think I hit one pothole on the dirt road.
    Runtime on high is supposed to be 8 hours. If that is with alkaline cells, NiMH may be shorter as they are 1.2 not 1.5 volt cells.

The 1 Watt Turbo has the following output/battery voltage pattern:

I suspect they use similar driver circuits as the Blaze.

The Turbo used NiMH AAA'a were 1000 mA. Good NiMH AA'a for the Blaze are about 2500 mA, and the 2 watt LED may get 25% longer runtime. Or 6.3 hours, a little more it the 2 watts is really 1.8. But 8 hours max on high in full on mode. The drop off in output is really pronounced when it kicks in. Not quite on/off but getting there, Also the Turbo starts 50% brighter than it is for most of the run and drops to more typical output in an hour or so. I suspect the Blaze does the same. So comparing almost dead to fresh batteries is a four fold change or more.

To keep the Turbos burning bright, I figured out regular charging schedule.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I've just been using alkaline AA's... and I usually just run it on the lower setting, so it really does last a long time. I only need it for the morning ride most of the time (evening maybe 1 time a week if I get held up and wind up riding home after dark...more common this time of year), and each use is 30 min or less generally...so if it's 8 hours+ of run time, that's 16 trips I can take with it at least, and by then I have no idea how many trips it's been I know I push it more than that before I finally get around to sacrificing the 2 minutes in the morning to find the batteries in the laundry room... I should do the recharge thing but I've never gotten around to it. I would bet I've been using these same batteries since mid October.

mtbr member
    Totally overheated today, I don't know what I was thinking getting dressed. Snow doesn't mean cold, it usually means kinda warm and sweaty. That, and I went off piste on the way home, hard work that.

mtbr member
    Nice ride to and back from barber. Running the new tires at 90-95 as recommended. They are crisper handling at pressure and still ride better than the Tourguards when they were at 65 and 85 pounds. less rolling resistance, too.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    1,650 bike commuting miles in 5 months...my first day in the car today. Bummed.

Woke up in cold sweats and a splitting headache, was going to sleep in a bit, shake it off and come in a few hours late but the kid that works for me called in sick. Can't leave the company without IT Support!
    Hope you made it through your day, BC. And feel better soon. I`m in a similar place- had a little bit of flu for 1.5 days, manageable though. But by the time I got home this morning I felt like total crap. I just got up a few hours ago, not feeling any better, but I`m going to hop in my truck here soon and get myself some OTC meds- hope they work. After several years of ALMOST 100% bike commutes, I`m still hanging in there on Dec 18th, so there ain`t no way I`ll be driving to work tonight. At least I still have the option to call in sick if I can`t ride it, but it`s already going to be a short paycheck, so I hate to make it any shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    That, and I went off piste on the way home, hard work that.
    Nice! Even in a good snow year, I don`t think I`ve ever seen snow like that inDec. Our big snow (if we get it) usualy doesn`t come until February. Then again, by Feb, youll probably have 30 feet of it
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Nice ride to and back from barber. Running the new tires at 90-95 as recommended. They are crisper handling at pressure and still ride better than the Tourguards when they were at 65 and 85 pounds. less rolling resistance, too.

BrianMc
    Nice! Less wind resistance on the way back too, I imagine, thanks to the barber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Nice! Less wind resistance on the way back too, I imagine, thanks to the barber.
    It fits under the helmet either way. Less mass to accelerate though including a lighter wallet.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Keeping the mind busy on the ride in:
    An Ode To Studded Tires

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^Nice. Press on!

11 degrees for the morning ride today... brisk. I guess we're spending this day or two between storm systems on the Canada side of the jet stream.

mtbr member
    Today we finally tipped down to -21C/-6F, which is enough for me to don my "real" cold weather gear - first time this year that I've covered my face, worn a fleece midlayer, or worn the 3 layer gloves. Winter feels like it's taking forever since it started so early around here, but so far I hadn't had a commute below -18C/0F. That's unusual, because by now we'll typically have had a few days of -25C thrown in just to mix things up.

weirdo
    9F here, and I think I set a new personal record for slowest commute with dry and windless conditions. I feel like total $h1t. No shower, no breakfast- going straight to bed.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ But you rode. Nice work.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    9F here, and I think I set a new personal record for slowest commute with dry and windless conditions. I feel like total $h1t. No shower, no breakfast- going straight to bed.
    Way to to on the 100%!

Moderator Moderator
    Ugh! Hope you feel better soon.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Keeping the mind busy on the ride in:
    An Ode To Studded Tires
    Ode to an Ode: That was a great ode.

mtbr member
    ^^ Inspired by Rodar the ill to put another 12 miles on today. My pulsimeter bought it in the crash. It needed a new battery as it did not read for most of the ride previous to the crash. A battery swap showed it is DOA.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    3rd day of fresh snow, super slush, low pressure, roundabout rides to work. I'm actually sore. My legs will be tree trunks by spring.