Page 331 of 540 FirstFirst ... 231 281 321 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 341 381 431 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 13493
    mtbr member
    Had a close call with a car on my way in today, even though I had all my blinkers flashing. The old geezer barely slowed down before turning left as I came barreling down my street at 30mph, he crossed right in front of me. I was on the brakes hard and managed to sneak behind him, could have smacked his car on the way by, but his wife was already yelling at him, which is way worse than I could have managed. Keep your eyes open out there. Thank god for big disc brakes on the cargo bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cold, not as cold as Davids, but low 20s

Is it just me or does the cold really just suck the energy right out of you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Ohoh, are we having a dockets helmet outfit contest ?

If so, check mine out

Attachment 744591
    Link to the helmet? Is the face shield part of it? It looks kinda like a motorcycle helmet.

I Ride for Donuts
    Nice work Brian! That was quicker than I thought it would be.

Another morning of thankfulness for the studs today. The conditions in the pic deteriorated to shiny reflective pavement...cars were moving s l o w this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    A slow ride (queue Foghat here...) this morning. We ended up with 11+ inches of new snow. The trail I ride was groomed last evening, but hadn't really set up by this AM, so it was like pushing through pudding. Or maybe cottage cheese. 33.5 degrees at my house when I left and I over dressed so was a bit warm and sweaty when I arrived at work. Them's the breaks, I guess.

From the ride home last night.

Last edited by blockphi; 12-13-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Pic no worky

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yesterday's commute was the best yet!!

I was riding home from my last final exam and a black Jeep Grand Cherokee passes me and the guy in the passenger seat sticks his head out the window and starts yelling “Go, Lance!” etc etc. I take a short cut to avoid a red light while they stayed on the main road and they started yelling something along the lines of “Oh no! Lance is gonna beat us!!”

Needless to say, I got ahead of them , but they caught up with me at the next light and got in the right turning lane and started talking to me. The guy in the passenger seat said they were gonna make a beer run real quick and catch up with me later. (There is a liquor store right on the corner.)

So I go on ahead and I didn’t see them for awhile and I figured I lost them. But then right before I took a right turn into my apartment complex, the black Jeep pulls up next to me and, while we’re moving, hands me Natty Light out the window.

I know it was only a Natty Light but it was still my best commute by far!!

I Ride for Donuts
    That's awesome.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Don't they know that Lance drinks Michelob Ultra Light, oh wait he lost that sponsorship.

mtbr member
    Awesome 'sharing' o the road. Though illegal here. Oh well.

Another day. Another ride. SHoulder is better. Tires better with more air. A bit more in the front, I think. Pedals are starting to clip in batter maybe the Triflow helped.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    Yesterday's commute was the best yet!!
    ...But then right before I took a right turn into my apartment complex, the black Jeep pulls up next to me and, while we’re moving, hands me Natty Light out the window.
    Dang! Guess I'm bikecommuting in the wrong neighborhood. Great story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    Yesterday's commute was the best yet!!...

So I go on ahead and I didn’t see them for awhile and I figured I lost them. But then right before I took a right turn into my apartment complex, the black Jeep pulls up next to me and, while we’re moving, hands me Natty Light out the window.

I know it was only a Natty Light but it was still my best commute by far!!
    Beer hand ups are the best! I too am commuting in the wrong neighborhoods!

weirdo
    CB, those are some GNARLY looking tires! Nokian Extremes? I rode my studs for a few days, plenty cold but we didn`t get any ice or snow . I brought the bike into the house this evening for a little maintenance and put my slicks back on while I was at it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Is it just me or does the cold really just suck the energy right out of you?
    Not just you. But I think it`s a combination of the cold + the cold weather gear that does it. And then you don`t get any gratification from pushing it, so (in my case anyway), aside from being lowed down by physics, I`m not inclined to even try making up some of that loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I was on the brakes hard and managed to sneak behind him, could have smacked his car on the way by, but his wife was already yelling at him, which is way worse than I could have managed.
    You should have handed up a beer to the driver`s wife! Well, glad you didn`t slam into his rear quarter- good reactions
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Nokian Gazza Extreme 296's... 29x2.0

I went back to the Drifters last night... a little patchy snow on my dirt road, but the 'real' roads are clear. Dry and cold this morning. Supposed to be a high of 36 today. I have an 18miler after work and didn't want to drag the studs along

I saw a really massive buck this morning. Right next to the road. Reindeer scouts preparing the way for the big man, no doubt.

mtbr member
    Somehow I missed Scott's close call. Always best to avoid a collision. I think some drivers just mistake us for a 5 mph beach cruiser and get surprise when we are 2/3 or more of the speed limit.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    The one close encounter with traffic I fairly regularly have is people misjudging my speed and passing me, only to want to turn right just ahead of where they pass me. There's a school at the bottom of a gradual downhill, where I can easily cruise at the 25mph speed limit. Moms picking up kids from whatever afterschool activity do this to me a lot. I generally glance behind and take the lane right behind them as soon as I see the signal, and shoot around them on the left while they come to an awkward half-stop trying to figure out where I went. Seems much safer than hoping they let me dart by in the bike lane before they right-hook me. As I shoot around on the left, the ones that still don't know I was moving faster than they think go ahead and make their turn (would have hit me), and the ones that know I'm there somewhere, but can't find me, hopefully at least realize the error of their ways and feel stupid about not just slowing down and letting me get past the turn before they make their right. I have smacked a couple of trunks in moments when it's especially obvious that they were in the wrong.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Seems much safer than hoping they let me dart by in the bike lane before they right-hook me.
    And more entertaining, no doubt.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ On the flat section (just after where apparently I can hit 40 mph in a 30 zone), where I can hold the 20-25 mph range with no head wind. People pull to pass with oncoming traffic and suddenly stomp on it as their 35 mph isn't going to get it done on time. It took them awhile to catch me, so I guess they were on the phone. They can see me as soon as they crest of the hill. I am 500 to 1200 feet ahead. So time to estimate speed and time to pass. All nerdy and lit like a Christmas tree if they look they see me. I think they assume you are at a pedestrian pace. I have the golf course as my out on the right. I have done my level best to tell them I am what I am. 99+ % of drivers get and appreciate that effort. Most of the 1% seem to learn from their error. I am happiest when I get to the stop sign with no close overtaking traffic.

My brother had to lay his bike down and crawl out from under a bumper of a car. The lady who just got past then slammed on the brakes with no signal and turned partly into a right lane then stopped forming an instant barricade. He crawled out and slammed his fist down on her trunk. She wondered what the noise was when the bike hit the differentia. "But I passed you!" No concept of the bike moving whatsoever. So take care. They may not be 00's but some seem to have a license to kill or at least maim.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Finally got the snow I've been waiting for. All I have to say is for those that commute daily in this I salute you! It was chunky and sloppy, but soft with the temps hovering right at freezing. I threw caution and common sense to the wind and took the lane I needed since it seems the city plows didn't hit the shoulders but the state plows do resulting in shoulder (mostly) covered in slushy plow leavings. Except for the idiots who don't understand that when you drive with the wheels in the strip of snow between the tires it sprays all over the cyclist you're passing, most were courteous and gave me plenty of room as they passed.

It sucks there is no easy alternative to the 2 miles on highway I have to traverse to get to/from work. The options are a bypass road with even smaller shoulders that adds10+ miles to the commute or the back country fire road that is near-deadly when it's dry. So I'm stuck with the highway. Hoping tonight's ride home will be a little better with the roads in better shape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Had a fox run directly at me last night on my way home for about 20 feet before veering off into the wetland-ish area to the side of the trail (the other side is a few feet of vegetation and then the Erie Canal). I don't know why creatures can't just run into the damn bushes. Rabbits do the same thing, refusing to actually run into the bushes. They run down the trail away from me and when I get close enough eventually panic and freeze.

I was mentally preparing myself to kick whatever it was running at me (didn't know it was a fox until it turned). Glad it wasn't a bear, I guess?

mtbr member
    Spatialized, Snow makes it a different world. I think the worst part by far is the slushing from cars/trucks. I'm lucky that I don't have to ride down any major roads like that, just across a sleepy town, but it still happens. I'm thankful that my town is so poor that they don't plow until after the storm, so the roads stay so snowy that with the right conditions I can actually ski the roads I usually ride. Make yourself visible, NOBODY expects to see cyclists in the snow.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Riding home through the woods approaching a snowmobile bridge with a caution sign and some trail markers I thought "Wow, they really added some reflectors along the edge of the trail here."...Then the 4 deer ran into the woods. The way they were standing along the edge of the trail with the existing markers their eyes looked like a guard rail.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Make yourself visible, NOBODY expects to see cyclists in the snow.
    A cyclist`s chief weapons are fear and surprise.

Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Took the moto cycle today but yesterday switched to fixed again, really enjoyable ride and when passing oncoming bikes in the bike path with no lights Im thinking wtf are they thinking? But again that was me two years ago... We get smarter I guess

mtbr member
    Yeah, I remember flying down the bike path, post bar, in the pitch dark, and our only weapon was that if you thought you heard something, you ring your bell like crazy and move to what you thought was the right side of the trail. I don't know how I didn't end up in the Animas river. We do get smarter, don't we.

mtbr member
    Chainsuck fixed. As I suspected, granny was worn just enough to snaggle the new chain. I will now try to be replacing chains at .75% as recommended by shop and Park Tool, not at <1 as the Park Tool chainchecker itself says. I was lucky they had the pe$ky XTR compatible granny in stock and were able to do the work while I waited, saving me time and $ since they are not-so-LBS. $20 labor also covered a do-over on my disc brake job (I got them not to sing, but not the right feel), re-seating the new rear studded tire he noticed was slightly off, re-adjusting the rear hub bearing that was oversnug after my overhaul last weekend but had since un-snugged a dite, and a slight V brake adjust because he cannot resist.

Rode the fatty this morning, a beautiful blue sky and around freezing, and the snowmo trails were positively crowded: 1 landowner fixing drainage, 1 logger, 2 birdhunters, 2 labrador retrievers, 1 cabbed utility vehicle. Snowless excess for dustings in colder spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-pc152539-600x800-.jpg