• 03-03-2015
    UberBikeGeek
    Gorgeous day here in PDX!
  • 03-03-2015
    climb hazard
    It was a recreational ride for me, but lots of snow and courteous drivers led to a fun 8 miles. My city is pretty friendly towards cyclists; usually more so than towards other drivers. Share the road, right?
  • 03-03-2015
    TenSpeed
    I have ridden in some bad weather before, but I think today takes the cake. 27F with a strong westerly wind, and this is no joke, it was raining ice and snow. That is the only way to describe it. 2+ " had already fallen of regular snow, but as the day progressed, the temps were on the rise from when it started. The road conditions were poor at best, brown mashed potato snow everywhere, the kind that is super slippery. By the time I got to to work, I was covered in ice. Glasses had water droplets frozen on them. My waterproof jacket was wet on the front, and covered in ice. It was a long ride in, but a few coworkers complimented me on my tenacity, so it was worth it.

Ride home was surprisingly better, 31F with the wind at my back. Roads were wet and just starting to freeze. I took it easy and was watching for ice. MUP could only be described as a Slurpee. Half frozen, with the ice at the top, and then as you rolled, it squished the water out. That is my best description.

Fat bike fenders were worth the money. I am happy with them for sure after today.
  • 03-04-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Dang, 10 speed- your inbound trip sure does sound nasty! Glad you had it a little better on the way home.

Getting chilly again (from what we`ve had), but pretty sunrises with a little white still on the shady sides of my local hills so I brought my camera with me tonight. Will try a commute shot on the way home and see if I get as lucky as Xplorer with the new attachment system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    But on the weekend I finally actually took advantage of that, and went for a ride with my pooch for the first time.

Newf, is that the star of your your avatar pic? I always thought you were using a generic downloaded photo for some reason!

Quote:

Originally Posted by climb hazard View Post
    It was a recreational ride for me, but lots of snow and courteous drivers led to a fun 8 miles. My city is pretty friendly towards cyclists; usually more so than towards other drivers. Share the road, right?

Now there`s a cheerful introduction! Welcome aboard, ClimbHazard. Welcome to UBG, too.
  • 03-04-2015
    Ghost_HTX
    I had my first bike commute yesterday after 4 months off the bike...
    It was a fairly uneventful 12km. I did notice that I am way out of shape compared to before and that the nerves in my ass that I had deadened from many long hours in the saddle have come back to life.

I.e my ass is killing me... :-)
  • 03-04-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Wow, that dog in the pic looks almost identical to you in your profile picture. :)

We got about 2+ inches of dense snow overnight which made my ride in pretty slow. The lake was surreal. The snow was so bright and featureless I couldn't tell I was moving unless I actually looked at my wheel rolling. Very odd.

Welcome newcomers.
  • 03-04-2015
    newfangled
    A cyclist was killed here last week while riding his fatbike on a training loop to get ready for a tour this summer.

Not a single news outlet even bothered to mention it.

Media Release: Ghost Bike Memorial Installation ? Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Newf, is that the star of your your avatar pic? I always thought you were using a generic downloaded photo for some reason!

Yup, and nope. It's cropped from a pic I took the day we got her (or maybe the second day)

Just below 0F this morning. Blah.
  • 03-04-2015
    blockphi
    34F here today. Light rain/fog mix. Roads are slick and wet. Will be miserable on the way home as I'll be soaked by the time I get to the bus. Not fun. Oh well, such is life, I guess.
  • 03-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Beautiful dog Newf. My dog is one of those "so ugly she's cute" kinds of dogs, but that dog is purdy.

Looks like I sold my hardtail 29er... I'm just a couple craigslist sales away from fatbike shopping... getting excited about riding in the snow someday (when I visit somewhere where it actually snows since it doesn't snow here anymore).
  • 03-04-2015
    newfangled
    ^ which hardtail? Access I? Access II? Ogre? I've lost track.
  • 03-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Haha what are you saying?

I have bonded with the Ogre in that rare way that only happens once in a great while... I can pretty confidently say that I will never sell that bike.

Selling Access 1, otherwise known as Special Ed:

Attachment 969702
  • 03-04-2015
    Kleebs
    Best ride in a while this morning. 34F with an 8mph tailwind made for a very pleasant ride. My commuter was protesting a bit from the lack of maintenance this winter though. Will need a new chain at least, probably a new freewheel, and definitely a new quill stem because my current one keeps slipping. Once a week I realize that I am leaning over an awful lot more than what I started at on Monday and I have to rotate the bars and tighten the clamp again.

Which gets me thinking....buy a new quill relatively inexpensively, or pick up the 1" quill to 1-1/8" threadless adapter, a modern threadless stem, and upgrade to a new set of drop bars....While I'm at it, the old thumbie that I repurposed for rear shifter duty is ok but very finicky, as is the altus rear derailleur. I should probably just spring for a nice bar end shifter and new derailleur. I think I have a problem...

I think I know where the finance committee at home will stand on this one. Expect no new toys :(
  • 03-04-2015
    jeffscott
    off since thursday....bacterial sinusitis.....amoxicillan for 10 days.

might be able to ride monday or maybe tuesday.

Talk about coughing and snot....
  • 03-04-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    I rode home in shorts and short-sleeved shirt yesterday. It was around 60F in the afternoon (around 32 in the morning). We're expected to get 5-10" of snow tonight, and we're supposed to be in the single digits by Friday. Right now we are just getting an ungodly amount of rain. It will be interesting when the temps take a dive.

I hitched a ride with my wife this morning.
  • 03-04-2015
    newfangled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Access 1, otherwise known as Special Ed:

Are the decals staying?
  • 03-04-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Buyer must remove if they don't like 'em. I can't bring myself to take them off. :lol:
    (For the new, sensitive members of the forum, relax... I've been a special education teacher for 15 years. Ol' Special Ed has been my 'short bus' for quite some time)
  • 03-04-2015
    newfangled
    ^ I'm curious how that conversation with the buyer went?

Quote:

A cyclist was killed here last week while riding his fatbike on a training loop to get ready for a tour this summer.

Not a single news outlet even bothered to mention it.

Media Release: Ghost Bike Memorial Installation ? Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC)

And now, because of social media and a bit of shaming, someone has finally picked up the story:

Edmonton bicycle community remembers cyclist killed in crash - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
  • 03-04-2015
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I rode home in shorts and short-sleeved shirt yesterday. It was around 60F in the afternoon (around 32 in the morning).

Thank you, sOck. I feel less guilty now!

Quote:

I'm just a couple craigslist sales away from fatbike shopping... getting excited about riding in the snow someday (when I visit somewhere where it actually snows since it doesn't snow here anymore).

Don`t worry. It should work great for cruising the dust dunes :thumbsup:
    (insert old Dorthea Lange pic here)
  • 03-04-2015
    BrianMc
    Edmonton Ghost Bike:

How hard is it to swerve around a cyclist? Even if his battery died in his tail light, the headlights of the pickup have to light him up even if he was dressed all in black. It does speak to the need for redundant tail lights and bright ones, and Hi-Vis jackets and vest do show up in the headlights of an approaching vehicle.

Seven C in Edmonton! Wow we barely broke through to +1 on Saturday for the first time in weeks. Clipper I suppose.

BrianMc
  • 03-04-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

And now, because of social media and a bit of shaming, someone has finally picked up the story:

Edmonton bicycle community remembers cyclist killed in crash - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

Thanks for reporting it here. It's a real shame.

I had no idea the ghost bike thing started in St. Louis. Guess I should have.
  • 03-05-2015
    newfangled
    ^ and now it sounds like the reason the media didn't report it was because the RCMP (the Mounties) were too busy to inform the media of this particular highway fatality? I don't know the logistics of that, since it sure seems like every scratched SUV bumper gets reported automatically. But anyway, he was killed on Feb 23 and it's taken a week-and-a-half for any reporting. Extremely depressing.

As for the ghostbikes, I know that some cyclists argue they send a negative impression of cycling: Ghost bikes: memorials to road victims blamed for putting people off cycling | Life and style | The Guardian

But in this case I certainly can't argue, since the alternative is apparently complete silence.
  • 03-05-2015
    NDD
    ^ I can see where it might be frightening, especially to people who would otherwise be a cyclist or support commuter cyclists more if they thought it was safer. In essence, it makes commuting seem a lot less safe than it actually may be, because it broadcasts the result of one terrible yet uncommon occurrence. So I can see where they're coming from there.

The reality is that it just sucks that there are a lot of people who never have and never intend to commute by bike that seem to know a whole hell of a lot about it and what it entails.
  • 03-05-2015
    blockphi
    Decent ride in this AM. Wet and cruddy in the afternoons. Foggy and chilly out now. Supposed to get some rain/snow mix today. We'll see. After yesterday's ride to the bus I decided to put a ghetto fender on the back - just a bit of old political sign zip-tied to the underside of my rack. Not pretty, but it'll do the trick, I think. Now I just need to figure something out for the front. Seems to be much more human poo on the streets and trails this spring and I really don't want that flung into my mouth - eww....I'm okay with moose and dog, but homeless? Not so much.
  • 03-05-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Decent ride in this AM. Wet and cruddy in the afternoons. Foggy and chilly out now. Supposed to get some rain/snow mix today. We'll see. After yesterday's ride to the bus I decided to put a ghetto fender on the back - just a bit of old political sign zip-tied to the underside of my rack. Not pretty, but it'll do the trick, I think. Now I just need to figure something out for the front. Seems to be much more human poo on the streets and trails this spring and I really don't want that flung into my mouth - eww....I'm okay with moose and dog, but homeless? Not so much.

Not enough endoparasites in homeless poo for ya? Ha, that's pretty gross, man.
  • 03-05-2015
    blockphi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Not enough endoparasites in homeless poo for ya? Ha, that's pretty gross, man.

It is pretty nasty. The down-town area has been really bad this year for some reason. Most days I'm seeing a new pile somewhere in the area of the transit center. Just all kinds of weird up here this year.
  • 03-05-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    It is pretty nasty. The down-town area has been really bad this year for some reason. Most days I'm seeing a new pile somewhere in the area of the transit center. Just all kinds of weird up here this year.

I've never been homeless, but I will say, I'd probably try to find somewhere to sh*t that was further off the road. Like I said, could be a lack of perspective on my part. So maybe I wouldn't find somewhere further off the road.
  • 03-05-2015
    z1r
    Today's ride was cold. Single digit temps and damp. I need better tights. Darn near frostbit my willy!

Most of the ice has melted off the trails. Still, I ran into a couple of the people whose job it is to clear those trails. Up at the crack of doom removing snow or, as in today's case, spreading sand on the worst ice patches. I want to give them a big thanks for making my commute much safer through their hard work! I consider myself lucky to not only be able to ride trails on most of my commute but also have those trails so well cared for! Thanks powers that be and politically inclined activists whose hard work most probably procured those trails and provided for their upkeep!
  • 03-05-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I've never been homeless, but I will say, I'd probably try to find somewhere to sh*t that was further off the road. Like I said, could be a lack of perspective on my part. So maybe I wouldn't find somewhere further off the road.

I've never been homeless, but I will say, I'd probably try to find somewhere to live that wasn't ALASKA IN THE WINTER!!! Could be a lack of perspective on my part...but I'm thinking I'd be pooping on the streets of San Diego or something.
  • 03-05-2015
    wschruba
    Quote:

^ and now it sounds like the reason the media didn't report it was because the RCMP (the Mounties) were too busy to inform the media of this particular highway fatality? I don't know the logistics of that, since it sure seems like every scratched SUV bumper gets reported automatically. But anyway, he was killed on Feb 23 and it's taken a week-and-a-half for any reporting. Extremely depressing.

As for the ghostbikes, I know that some cyclists argue they send a negative impression of cycling: Ghost bikes: memorials to road victims blamed for putting people off cycling | Life and style | The Guardian

But in this case I certainly can't argue, since the alternative is apparently complete silence.

The attitude that it puts people off cycling is rubbish. People don't complain about seeing roadside memorials for flipped/totaled cars...or at least it doesn't stop them from driving.

Anything that reminds people that they are sharing the road with other people is a good thing, in my estimation.
  • 03-05-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The attitude that it puts people off cycling is rubbish. People don't complain about seeing roadside memorials for flipped/totaled cars...or at least it doesn't stop them from driving.

Anything that reminds people that they are sharing the road with other people is a good thing, in my estimation.

I agree basically anything new will get noticed by regular road users.....thats why advertising signs work....and we have distracted drivers.

In the end the ghost bike thing works cause people who dont know about talk about it until they figure out what is going on. By then the message has sunk in.
  • 03-05-2015
    Forster
    Quote:

I've never been homeless, but I will say, I'd probably try to find somewhere to live that wasn't ALASKA IN THE WINTER!!! Could be a lack of perspective on my part...but I'm thinking I'd be pooping on the streets of San Diego or something.

Reminds me of the guy in Boulder asking for spare change. I indicated that I didn't have any "Spare" change so he starts ranting about "sure you don't, you look poor I can tell by your new clothes..." Before I can inject that I work and therefore have a budget and that all my "change" is therefore allocated, my 6-year-old asks "Dad, is that guy a Hobo or just a Bum?" Apparently he'd never been confronted by a 6-year-old like that before because it got real quiet. Of course now he's 15 and asking his english teacher if they can't read something less depressing than Romeo and Juliet. Kids, gotta love the 4-15 year-old period when they say what they think with no filter.
  • 03-05-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

Geez, not reporting on a 2/23/15 fatality until 3/4/15 does seem pretty strange, ours have been pretty much instant or next day. Looks like it might be one of the first fat bike fatalities too, based on the still image at the video's start. :(
  • 03-05-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Seems cold for March, continuing this winter's theme. 12F this morning with a pesky headwind dragging me down, and 2 F for the way home. On the plus side the puddles that gathered on the road shoulders during a couple warmer days are now perfect skating rinks. An intrepid road crew was attempting hot-patching potholes this morning with a heated stinky trailer unit thingy.
  • 03-05-2015
    byknuts
    1 Attachment(s)
    came out of work. front maguras have ZERO fluid pressure...
    so hey lookit me riding home in the snow with no front brakes and some admittedly fairly shot rear brake pads.
    bloody hell!
    don't feel like replacing an entire brakeset tonight, so might string the fatbike up and try that.
  • 03-05-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Finally found the sweet spot with the goggles and face mask, and I hope I don't need to know where it is till Fall. Single digits again this evening with a strange shell of ice over the snow, and everything else. 40's in the forecast, maybe even 50's, but now I wonder if I'll remember how to dress for that.
  • 03-06-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Well, the weather dropped 12" of snow Wednesday night. No work yesterday. I drove in today. I should probably have ridden, but I walked off in my dress shoes when I was picked up on Wednesday and couldn't fit them into my backpack with all my other stuff. It was a chilly 7F, but the roads were half decent. Decent riding conditions, all things considered. Oh well.
  • 03-06-2015
    newfangled
    A beautiful, sunny, 42F morning. And coffeeoutside with the regular crew of friday cyclists. And no drivers did anything particularly dumb to ruin my mood.
  • 03-06-2015
    NDD
    Didn't commute today. brought my bike to work though since I'm taking it to my buddy's to work on it after work. Since it's been slow this morning and I'm working alone, I've had the time to clean most of the road grime and salt off of it and otherwise show it some love.
  • 03-07-2015
    TenSpeed
    Really nice out today, with sun and 37F when I left for work. Roads had a little moisture but the melt hasn't really started yet. Fat bike was moving as I got going, until the wind hit me like a truck. Cooled me right off but I was dressed just right. Ride home was pretty awesome, 30F and a slight breeze at my back. Roads were a bit sketchy as I got into the neighborhoods with the wind and temp just at freezing it left me unsure if they were icing over or were just wet. It was really nice not wearing a balaclava and just a regular helmet and sunglasses, and ONE pair of gloves!!
  • 03-07-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Light gloves, safety glasses, shoes not boots. Spring has begun to spring, finally.

First ride of the year on the Bosanova, felt much faster than it was.
  • 03-08-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Light gloves, safety glasses, shoes not boots. Spring has begun to spring, finally.

First ride of the year on the Bosanova, felt much faster than it was.

Gotta love Michigan in March. Just ready for all of the snow to be gone and the roads to be dry again.
  • 03-08-2015
    Rustedthrough
    "Whooo-eeeeeeee!" That's how it was. Roads are back to nearly full width and mostly dry, completely ice free in the lanes.

Back to looking for excuses to ride, instead of storage for more gloves and things.
  • 03-08-2015
    newfangled
    Anyone ever been to a redbull crashed ice? They're doing one here next week (track is in purple):

It's kindof a weird layout, because there's basically nowhere for spectators to stand...but I guess they just care about how it looks on tv? I'm going to try swinging through next week when it's on.

and a photo from the pros:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/02/2...ampaign=buffer

No bikes though.
  • 03-08-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    "Whooo-eeeeeeee!" That's how it was. Roads are back to nearly full width and mostly dry, completely ice free in the lanes.

Back to looking for excuses to ride, instead of storage for more gloves and things.

The roads there are dry? Not so much here. I am still riding the fat bike because it is the only bike I have that will take fenders. The ice is all gone I think, at least I hope. Once the roads are dry, then the other bikes will make an appearance.
  • 03-09-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Spring flipped the switch. We were in the upper 40s to mid-50s this weekend. The 12" of snow we received last week is still on the ground in spots but is rapidly melting. Today is going to be in the 60s. I am not complaining. It felt good not to layer up as much this morning.
  • 03-09-2015
    bedwards1000
    ^^Same thing here but not quite as warm. I shed a layer on both the top and bottom. After months of NEVER getting above freezing it is supposed to break it every day this week and not even get below freezing on Wednesday. I may have to break out one of those skinny tired bikes that go on that place with cars on it.

Busy weekend. Took the dogs out to drain their energy: The Candid Cyclist: Wearing Out the Dogs (With video)
    Then had 50 people over for a party. Got up early for a group fatbike ride with a new group then back home to head out for dog training class.

Today's ride was pretty decent but not great. I had to take the non-fat bike. On Friday my fatty had a rear flat that turned out to be around the stem so it was not patchable. On Saturday I noticed that my front tire was now flat, same route cause. I had one spare tube. So, I put in a 9er tube in the front which turned out to be defective. So, I put in a second 9er tube which held for the group ride and then blew out with a bang in the middle of the day on Sunday. For anybody keeping track, that's 4 tubes in 2 days! These were the original tubes that have never even been patched so I guess it was time.
  • 03-09-2015
    TenSpeed
    We are getting that weather here, and I am not complaining!! Forecasted for 43F today and 51F tomorrow!!! I think I am going to have to take the fixed gear regardless of the possibility of wet roads. Faster bike, less layers, normal SPD shoes instead of heavy boots, possibly normal gloves.....the happiness is making me smile ear to ear. It is supposed to be like this for the next week!!!!
  • 03-09-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Anyone ever been to a redbull crashed ice? They're doing one here next week (track is in purple):

Just noticed your post. I've watched a few of their videos. That is some crazy stuff. If there was a place to spectate I'd probably try to get a glimpse.

Crashed Ice is to my skating as Rampage is to my mountain biking.
  • 03-09-2015
    z1r
    First time in a month that my beard, oh did I say a dirty word, didn't freeze on my ride to work! WooHoo!

Will be in the 50's for my ride home.

And only one driver thought hey were more important than me. Passed me, then turned right. Luckily the roads more mostly dry. Last week with the snow and Ice I'd have been toast.
  • 03-09-2015
    jeffscott
    back on the bike with full on summer here