Page 330 of 592 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 340 380 430 ... LastLast
Results 8,226 to 8,250 of 14788
    mtbr member
    I used to never use lights or anything, I dont know if it was wanting to be incognito or just the "bike lights are lame" thought, but getting a bit older, sort of have more sense to use lights. Will never wear a reflective vest though
    First bicycle commute in a few weeks today, felt pretty good, a bit chilly though

weirdo
    Way to go, Slopro

Newf, you got me to thinking about that danged pedal again, so I googled around and found this:
    Do you ever clean and lube pedals? [Archive] - Bike Forums
    I thought it was interresting, but it doesn`t seem universal. In my case, both sets of pedals are Wellgo pinned platforms, both have bushings on the "inboard" and and tiny cartridge ball bearings on the "outboard" end. The older pedals have locknuts and both nuts are definitley RH for both pedals. The newer ones may or may not use locknuts (don`t remember offhand), but I betcha one of them had LH threads (which of them that was also escapes my memory right now). Since I can get aftermarket fancy-schmancy spindles for that model for about the same price as a new pair of pedals, I`ll probably try to drill off the end of the spindle the next time they start clicking on me, then order new spindles if the operation succeeds.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A bit icy, has me wanting for snow for sure. I took a trail down some old railroad tracks on my way home yesterday that dropped me off a few blocks down of where I usually cross. The crossing guard for the school stopped me to talk, an older lady who has lived here (Berlin NH) all of her life. Just couldn't believe that I ride every day, couldn't believe that I do it in the snow, couldn't believe that I can ride my bike back up the street I live on (steep). "good for you" she says "you must have some good legs". I told her I cant believe that she can stand out in the cold holding a sign, at least I am moving! I'm particularly fond of the older generation anyway, but she is a good one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    I used to never use lights or anything, I dont know if it was wanting to be incognito or just the "bike lights are lame" thought, but getting a bit older, sort of have more sense to use lights. Will never wear a reflective vest though
    First bicycle commute in a few weeks today, felt pretty good, a bit chilly though
    I thought that way too for quite a while but finally decided I already look like a complete dork on the bike and a reflective vest isn't gonna make or break my fashion statement but it might keep me from getting completely destroyed by a semi-truck on a rural highway at 6:00am when it's still pitch black out.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yeah! So, it came in pretty much assembled? My last new bike did- honestly it took some of the fun out of the deal, but it WAS nice to be able to ride within minutes and not go scrounging for all the little miscelaneous stuff that I wouldn`t have thought to have on hand.
    I actually sprung to have it built. Supposedly it was either that or having it "Professionally" assembled an a LBS or it would void the warranty. I wasn't' sure how many pieces it would be in if I didn't get it assembled. It was pretty much like any other bike I have bought off the internet. Needed to put on the wheels, handlebars & seat.

I got to ride it in this morning on the dark trails. I can't help but feel like I'm riding a horse so I can't say I fell in love with the 9er on the first ride. And for some reason, despite way up in the air on those wagon wheels I bounced the peddles off more rocks today than in the last year. It might take some time to get to know each other.

But it is purdy and shiny...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-12-12-07.23.09.jpg  

How was your commute today?-2012-12-12-07.21.51.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    Got to have lights!! Especially of you are going to follow the proper rules of riding a bike with traffic. I got a Lazer Urbanizer helmet that has built in lights front and back which really increase my visibility. With the blinking lights on my bike as well, people sometimes think I'm a police officer, but I know that I'm seen!!!

I Ride for Donuts
    Looks fun bedwards!

We were getting some wet snow when I went to bed, but it deteriorated to freezing rain at some point overnight, and then stopped... so a cold dry commute with some very slick roads this morning. This would have been a much more interesting post if I hadn't gotten the studs this year. I almost forgot I was riding in ice until I got the back wheel to slip a bit when I stood up on a climb.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    I thought that way too for quite a while but finally decided I already look like a complete dork on the bike and a reflective vest isn't gonna make or break my fashion statement but it might keep me from getting completely destroyed by a semi-truck on a rural highway at 6:00am when it's still pitch black out.
    Pretty much. If you're wearing a helmet then you already look like a dork to 99% of the population. Might as well commit to it.

mtbr member
    In my case, both sets of pedals are Wellgo pinned platforms, both have bushings on the "inboard" and and tiny cartridge ball bearings on the "outboard" end. The older pedals have locknuts and both nuts are definitley RH for both pedals.
    Thanks for that link. From there it looks like if one side is going to be reverse threaded then it will be the driveside. These are wellgo knockoffs, and the other 2 or 3 I've serviced were wellgos too. Weird.

I swore off the loose-ball pedals after I took one apart, and discovered that it didn't have lockwashers, so it was basically impossible to service all for the sake of saving a fraction of a cent on a washer. I even scavenged through the co-op's parts bins trying find a replacement but wasn't successful. Stupid pedals.

I Ride for Donuts
    Is it weird that I've never serviced a set of pedals? Granted, I've only been riding bikes seriously since the mid 80's...but I've never had one give me any trouble. I bought the pedals that are on my mountain bike in 1998, and other than moving them from bike to bike and adjusting the cleat tension, I've never touched them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got fed up with not riding. Rode. Amazing how long it takes to get everything together again, and how oddly intimidated I was by riding to work when I've done it at least 100 times already. New goggles worked well, although I wimped out and wore sunglasses until I was off the road (and out of the public eye, for the most part). No wind applied to my eyes, but enough ventilation that there was no fog.

Pretty sure the helmet's just for show at this point. It sits so high on my head with my hood up that I doubt it would do much if I crashed unless I pointed my head forward to ram it directly into whatever I hit, which doesn't sound like a great plan from a neck/spine perspective. Even with it "down" on my head I have doubts about how effective a normal bike helmet is in a crash. as the coverage on the front and sides seems minimal. The only time I ever had a big bike crash and needed the helmet (in the summer before 5th grade) I skipped/slid down the road on my face instead.

Behold my dorky goggles:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_20121212_105109.jpg  

weirdo
    I always wear my dorky vest, almost always wear the dorky hat with it. Partly for saftey, but mostly just because I relish dorkiness

Xplorer (no relation to afore mentioned dorkiness), did you get your chain suck fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Supposedly it was either that or having it "Professionally" assembled an a LBS or it would void the warranty.

I can't help but feel like I'm riding a horse so I can't say I fell in love with the 9er on the first ride. And for some reason, despite way up in the air on those wagon wheels I bounced the peddles off more rocks today than in the last year.
    Can`t say as I blame the manufacturers for making the warranty dependent on a pro assembly. Do FS bikes usually have more pedal strike than HTs? I`m going to have to rent one one of these summers. And it looks like you went with a double crankset- smaller than a road compact though, isn`t it? Hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Is it weird that I've never serviced a set of pedals? Granted, I've only been riding bikes seriously since the mid 80's...but I've never had one give me any trouble.
    I guess you`re just lucky that way. I`ve never had any trouble with quill pedals (opened a few up just to see what they look like, and stuffed a little grease in while I was at it). had two pairs of CB Smarties (cheapo version of Candies) go to hell, couldn`t redo them for some forgotten reason. My first pair of Wellgos started clicking a few years after I bought them, grease quiets them up for about 6 months to a year per treatment. Several pairs of other BMX pedals have given me no troubles, but I don`t think I`ve put many miles on any of them.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Sanath, I have that complaint about a lot of helmets too.. currently using a Bell Metro, and it seems to have better side/back coverage, and feels more like you're "in" it, rather than it just being "on top". When it gets really cold, I wear my snowboard helmet (that my wife made me buy after I broke my leg snowboarding...as if wearing a helmet is somehow going to keep me from breaking my leg again in the future). The snowboard helmet is warm, has very good coverage, has ear warming flaps that are removeable, and supposedly meets all of the same standards that bike helmets meet. It's a great alternative in the winter. Would work well with your dorky goggles too.

mtbr member
    Today was brutal. We got about 5 inches of fresh snow overnight with more on the way. I broke trail for 90% of my ride today. The snow was quite heavy and wet and even with the fatties aired way down, I was still floundering in some places - particularly where the trees had sluffed off. By my ride home tonight, there could be up to a foot of fresh snow. At least the temps are nice - upper 20's

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sanath, I have that complaint about a lot of helmets too.. currently using a Bell Metro, and it seems to have better side/back coverage, and feels more like you're "in" it, rather than it just being "on top". When it gets really cold, I wear my snowboard helmet (that my wife made me buy after I broke my leg snowboarding...as if wearing a helmet is somehow going to keep me from breaking my leg again in the future). The snowboard helmet is warm, has very good coverage, has ear warming flaps that are removeable, and supposedly meets all of the same standards that bike helmets meet. It's a great alternative in the winter. Would work well with your dorky goggles too.
    I'm trying to avoid spending $60 on a winter-specific helmet when I'm going to stop riding as soon as the snow/ice gets serious (if it ever does, at this rate). I was hoping to pick up one on clearance in the spring, for next year.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    But it is purdy and shiny...
    That is purdy! Enjoy! Which LBS closed?

I dropped someone off at the airport this a.m. and did not do it on the bike. Also took her dog home for a week, so I'll be driving more so she's not home alone so long. Our upcoming holiday party also requires driving, so I'll be missing some bikecommutes, but should have some extra energy for some weekend rec rides with the dog.

I have not taken a closer look at the chainsuck, but as luck would have it there is a drivetrain workshop tonight I was considering, so maybe it can be a patient there if there is room for me.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Can`t say as I blame the manufacturers for making the warranty dependent on a pro assembly. Do FS bikes usually have more pedal strike than HTs? I`m going to have to rent one one of these summers. And it looks like you went with a double crankset- smaller than a road compact though, isn`t it? Hope so!
    It is exactly the same bike as my other FS but in a 9er version. The other bike is still in the shop but when it comes out I'll have to check the clearance. It's a double and a 10 speed rear - my first. I didn't' run out of gears on my normal hilly route. Probably cause the cranks are so long

MTXB, the one in Windham closed after 2 years. He's got piles of bike parts in TOTAL disarray that I'm pretty interested in.

I've re-greased and tightened one set of pedals. Eventually the rivets were so loose I retired them.

OK, I'll join in the dorky photo contest (should almost be it's own thread?) Actually, I look pretty cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bikedork.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ What is that face sheild? Link please? I like my 'clava, and I don't like those neoprene ski face shields, but it looks like that might be one I could live with. Does it go way down on the neck like a 'clava, or is that another item covering yer neck?

mtbr member
    Is it weird that I've never serviced a set of pedals?
    This is the first time I've actually had pedals go crunchy bad...even though these barely had any miles on them. But it looks like some grease fixed them up...even if I'll never be able to fully service them.

Last spring I just wanted to know how the cartridge pedals worked, so I took a few of mine apart to clean and regrease them. It's really easy, although after just looking at rebuild kits online, some driveside spindles are reverse-threaded and some aren't. That's ridiculous.

And I've rebuilt a few ancient loose-bearing pedals at the co-op. It's insanely fiddly work, but weirdly satisfying. But because of that, once when I was trying to track down a mystery clicking noise I took apart a perfectly good set of loose-bearing pedals, only to discover that I'd never be able to readjust them again because they didn't have a lock washer. Stupid pedals.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ What is that face sheild? Link please? I like my 'clava, and I don't like those neoprene ski face shields, but it looks like that might be one I could live with. Does it go way down on the neck like a 'clava, or is that another item covering yer neck?
    The brand is Serius, I like it because it has closes with velcro on the back. I put it over my helmet straps and it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a neck brace like other clavas. This might be the same one but I can't tell if it pulls over or has velcro. I think they have them in EMS stores. I've got a similar one from Gator.

The double pane glasses/goggles from Amazon are amazing. They just don't' fog.

mtbr member
    Pedals: I have relubed a number of them a number of times. The classic early 70's Campys are still going strong on the errand bike. The two-sided Wellgos took a hit in the accident. So I replaced them with Shimano PD A520 one siders. The Welgos can go back on for boots when the temps get there not too far from now.They have a click in them since they were 6 months old which comes and goes. Now hey are off I can hammer the one back into shape and fix the click.
    :
    Helmets and vests keep us differentiated from 7-11 hold-up people.

Nice bike Bedwards. Replacing all the torn clothing and gear cost me a +1. Next Christmas.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Helmets and vests keep us differentiated from 7-11 hold-up people.
    Haha, I'd rather look like a dork than a criminal.

mtbr member
    Got a short 8 mile ride in today. I need to adjust the new pedals to the lowest clamp setting. The Soma New Xpress tires do ride smoother that Pasela Tourguards. I will up their pressure 5 pounds to increase the crispness of handling and get a bit more snakebite protection. The difference feels like I put on 35s. I found some nails in the area where I got flatted. Possible the sharp head of one did the damage. Possible thst a car bumped some out from the road edge. I will cut if wider, just in case.

Only the gouged areas have scabs still. the left hand tyes better and no pain holding hte bar, but he knuckles are still a bit sore, the swelling is enough to keep the ring from coming off, and the purple color is still there if you compare to the right hand. The chest aches with each breath once I get aerobic. Whether a cracked rib or pectoral ligaments, it is on the decline. So now to build miles and speed back up.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on getting back out there, Brian. Smell the roses and take it easy for a bit, non need to rush. I will try to posrep you but I think its maxxed out.

Huckin' trails
    Ohoh, are we having a dockets helmet outfit contest ?

If so, check mine out

How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355380331.079878.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!