Page 330 of 420 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380 ... LastLast
Results 16,451 to 16,500 of 20998
    CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'm pretty sure if I was biking across a frozen lake and broke through to a slush layer, I would die of a heart attack and the wetness of my boots wouldn't be a factor.
    It's been below freezing here for over 60 days aside from a few hours on Sunday. This morning it was fricking 51 degrees below freezing. That lake is probably frozen to the bottom. The weight of the snow pushes the ice down and the water comes through the cracks and floods it. I'm surprised it hadn't re-froze, that was Monday. I'm guessing it's firm today. I'm going to go check.....

NDD
    Baby boy
    It'll ride on top initially and then sink. There's probably 3mm of hard crust on top. I'll see what I can do after this last class here. I didn't have any problems like this last year. Or when this snow was fresh, but the last couple days... Probably doing something wrong.

I'm trying pretty light gearing, too, should I kick that up a notch?
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

NDD
    Baby boy
    He shoots and he misses!

Deflated tires, took care to hang back on the bike, didn't force the front wheel anywhere. Managed about a mile going about 4-5 mph on the mup. Couldn't do it fit 11 miles.

I'm sure it's a combo of my gear, lack of snow riding skills and experience (though I've never had this issue for real, even on deeper or looser snosnow), and my weak baby legs.

I hopped on the road and took that way. Wish I had just done that instead of lowering the pressure in the tires
    tires. This is what the mup looked like: doesn't look too bad.

How was your commute today?-20150224_183226.jpg

This morning I was riding and tried to adjust my front der using the barrel adjuster, because it was stupid outta wack somehow. Didn't work. Got to campus and looked. Dang plastic barrel is just broken off inside the shifter.

Pretty bogus feeling day today with a lot of little things playing into some greater negative reinforcement I have going on about life lately. Still better than driving.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Good ride in this morning. I felt really powerful, but I'm coming over a head cold so I took the short route in. That heavy breathing really helped knock some of the phlegm out of my chest. The best thing about the short route is that it takes me right by the Tropicana factory, and the rail yard. I was feeling feisty so I cut through and snagged a pic right as one of their golf cart security guards spotted me. I was able to cut down the gravel access road and be back on the street before he reached where I was at. So, for adventurous mornings, I share the fruits of my labors.

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1424864774406.jpg
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It'll ride on top initially and then sink. There's probably 3mm of hard crust on top. I'll see what I can do after this last class here. I didn't have any problems like this last year. Or when this snow was fresh, but the last couple days... Probably doing something wrong.

I'm trying pretty light gearing, too, should I kick that up a notch?
    Same exact deal here with the ice. My front tire breaks through the crust of ice, which hits my tire a couple inches up and totally kills my momentum. It's like riding with the brakes on, even downhill. I had some luck yesterday with pumping the ruts and footprints. I was actually able to keep more momentum that way, but it's hard to maintain that for a long period of time. In my case, I'm not sure studs would help that much, although a fatbike would likely be able to stay higher. Not in my budget at the moment.

For now, I'm riding the road in to work and trying out the MUP on the way home. I actually rode the whole thing yesterday and only had to dab a few times. It was still dreadfully slow, but hopefully things will continue to improve.

CB of the East
    The trails are just about perfect for the fatbike. RollingRunner attempted them on her non-fatty and it was a no-go. The lake as firmed up too. The ride home was pretty energy sapping. The Garmin reported a -5% grade and if I stopped peddling I stopped moving. This morning was somewhat better.

Still lots of deer around. Here's some from today.
    How was your commute today?-3-deer.jpg

mtbr member
    A decent ride in today. A bit chillier and a touch breezy, but nothing bad. Nothing like it should be this time of year.

Right now it's looking like I'll break 400 miles for the month. Still way off of my normal averages, but it's also a short month.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Of course the images show up on film. I've seen it on Monty Python. "It was the salmon mousse". But I understand being ascared.
    But mtbx didn't eat the salmon mousse!

Super boring commuting around here. 32-40 in the morning. Low 5's in the evenings. No wind, no rain. Supposed to be rain coming in tonight and I'm looking forward to the change.

mtbr member
    One of the guys from work recently started dating someone who lives on my block. It was weird, because one morning last week I was leaving my building and the guy was right there on the sidewalk for some reason.

So this morning I headed out just as he'd finished brushing the snow off his truck. And I got to work just as he was getting out of his truck. I figure that deserves some sort of commuter points. (of course after that I still had to spend another 5 minutes changing, but there was also 2" of fresh snow, so I figure that's a wash).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bought a new studded tire after the M&G sidewall finally blew.

MEC only had four row studs in 26 inch (I wanted two rows, but that is only in for 700C tires?).

Ice spiker from Schwalbe, or a Spike Claw from Continental.

I picked the Conti cause it looks like it will set up tubeless real easy, nice interior lining.

And of course...it had the magic words.

Made in Finland on the side.

guy
    Uneventful commute this morning. Warmer than the last few days. I'm well ahead of my goal commuter mileage so far this winter. Goal for the year is 3,500, with 100 per month in Jan and Feb. I'm currently sitting at 262 miles as of this morning and if I ride tomorrow and Friday I can kick it to 300, a full 100 miles ahead of schedule.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A decent ride in today. A bit chillier and a touch breezy, but nothing bad. Nothing like it should be this time of year.

Right now it's looking like I'll break 400 miles for the month. Still way off of my normal averages, but it's also a short month.
    You can catch up next year on Leap Day.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Bedwards Of The West
    Jeffscott, that's what makes my Nokians awesome also.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Back at it. 4 days off, chiropractic adjustment yesterday got me back in the saddle.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I'd rather be on my bike
    Looks like I will be able to start riding to work again on Sunday. Temps are finally going to give us a break. I am hoping to get my miles back up and back on track to reach my goal for the year.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

weirdo
    Good going, Kleebs

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    So, for adventurous mornings, I share the fruits of my labors.
    I like it- thanks for the share!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    MEC only had four row studs in 26 inch (I wanted two rows, but that is only in for 700C tires?)
    Yeah, I wish there were something like the Nokian A10 in 26 inch. Not that my slicks are any problem lately.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Good rides. Lots of deer sightings. I ride through a pack of dozens of them in each direction.

I stopped to take an evening and morning shot in the same spot. The evening is much more fun.
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

mtbr member
    Meh. Just okay. A bit chillier again. Still icy. Just standard fare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Messy, even with full fenders the snow/slush/salt mix makes a mess. Have I mentioned before I hate road salt? Because I do. A lot.

One plus side today was one extra considerate driver, I suspect possibly a fellow cyclist in his car. Came up to a bridge, shoulder were impassable so I signaled to take the lane. Jeep behind me slows down to let me over, throws on his flashers and gave me tons of space until I crossed the bridge, keeping any more aggressive drivers off my butt.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ride in this a.m. was COLD @ 7F according to my thermometer. About 1/4 way into my commute along the bike trails, the normally plowed trails ceased to be. I found myself too far way to return home, so I forged ahead through as much as 6 inches of snow. Thankfully, I snagged a pair of Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studded tires last nite off of Craigslist. New, with tags for $30 less than retail and with the fresh snowfall I was happy. These tires grip much better on the rutted refrozen surfaces and much better on snow than the Nokian Hakkapeliitta A10's I'd been running.

My normally 45-50 minute commute turned into an hour and a half trudge through mostly unplowed trails. The new tires made it sketchy than it would have been with the old tires In fact, I'm sure I would have had to walk most of the 13 mile ride otherwise.

The real only issue occurred on one of the detours that take me up onto the surface streets. I was almost t-boned at a 4 way intersection. The cross streets had stop signs, I didn't. As I entered the intersection a flatbed work truck starts to cross. Luckily one of the passengers grabbed the wheel and the driver stopped a few feet short of making me his new hood ornament. Amazing how time slows down at moments like that!

Fresh snow is predicted around rush hour and the high will only be in the teens . :-( Bummer. That might make my ride home more like 2 hours.

Even with my Lake MXZ303's my toes were cold.

Still, the fresh snow makes everything look so beautiful!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Not shabby. Slow ride in. The ride back was quicker than usual lately. I'm getting used to taking only roads again and using the busy ones too. Th mup is cushy and all but I realize now how spoiled I have been lately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Cold but dry with mostly clean asphalt. Neither fast nor half- fast, but less slow than the last few runs in the drifted and plowed stuff.

Clear pavement, a better saddle and chunky grips made the ride much more comfortable, almost leisurely. The frozen face-mask is still hard to get used to.

guy
    Woke up this morning and it was -6F so I drove today. That means I won't get to 300 commute miles by the end of Feb, but I'm well ahead of my goal pace so that's fine. We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of fresh snow on Sunday night so Monday morning will be very interesting!

CB of the East
    ^^Your post made me wonder where I'm at for the year. 446 miles so far. 390 of them on the fatbike. Speaking of the fatbike, I've made 7 trips on it this week and my legs are spent. Average temps have been in the single digits and the 20lbs of cold weather gear and stiff cold snow are wearing on me. I'm catching a carpool home with the wife.

I did manage to break some KOMs this week. One is a 1/2 mile downhill with an average of 22.4MPH over the snow. Good fun! Good Trails!

Deer sightings every day.

mtbr member
    Was supposed to have the day off, but had to go in anyway. Since my wife is home to take car of the dog, I left a little early and got some trail time in before work. I should really do that more often.

In other news, I think I got the slightest touch of frostbite on my ear yesterday morning. In 6 winters that's actually the first time that's happened, and it was only about 0F. But as I was riding down the long hill at the start of my commute I could feel the wind getting into my balaclava weirdly, but I just pressed on. But today it's definitely a bit nipped.

mtbr member
    This morning was really good. Had a decent headwind, so my moving average was like 15 mph, but I'm incredibly impressed with this new drivetrain. Keep in mind, I've never owned anything new, so that's what I'm working with. I had Ultegra from 07 on my Cannondale, but even at it's best, it wasn't as smooth as this. I felt no resistance from the chain, unlike other drivetrains of the past.

Looking forward to the ride home. Winds are picking up and coming in at about 20 mph, with gusts up to 30. Maybe time to set a new PR?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Been a minute since I have ridden to work, so I rode today. Sunny and mid 20's and mostly clear so I took one of the track bikes and man do those tires feel small!!!! Sketchy on the MUP since it was still slightly snow covered ice. Vittoria Rubino Slick 23's + ice = near death experience. Other than that, it was cold and windy. Stopped at the shop, talked to my buddy, and after all of that work we did on the bike, it still creaks a little. The thinks it is the weld at the bottom bracket of the frame. The entire bike has been apart and everything inspected, greased, properly tightened, and it is still there. White flag, I give up.

Ride home was brisk and I decided to stick to all the major roads because the back roads were melting and probably slightly frozen with runoff. Started snowing halfway home. Was pretty fun to ride the fixed gear again. I miss it big time.

mtbr member
    Got some snow last night so took the dogs for a bike run and ended up the month with 379.25 miles for the month, bringing me to 733.5 for the year so far. Feel a bit behind, but oh well. Had a nice wreck on Wednesday that I really started feeling on Friday while trying to ride some icy single track.

Sounds like it rained a bit in town yesterday, so my Monday morning commute might be a bit interesting.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Similar to Saturday, down to the wind, the cold and the blowing snow on the way home, hell, even the bike was the same. Melting roads, a little ice covered by snow on the MUP, it was like Bill Murray riding a bike in Groundhog's Day.

weirdo
    We got wet
    It snowed for about twelve hours Sat (melting the whole time). We ended up with about 4 to 6 inches on grass and other insulated flat surfaces, an inch or so of slush on the roads. It`s all melted today, and I expect the streets to be completely dry by the time I go to work. Not much, but I think it`s been our biggest snow yet this winter. Surely not as much water as the last rain, though.

EDIT: Has anybody posted pictures since the last change? It sounds like we now need to host on another site, but I haven`t tried yet, not sure.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A decent ride in today. The roads were quite slick after freezing fog most of the evening. Good times. The trails in town were fairly firm and fast and the brief shot of snow we got has bonded to the ice layer to create some good grip. Lion or lamb, I can't say yet.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Glad you finally got some snow Radar!

I always used the [IMG] tags to post pics hosted on picasa and that still seems to be working. For example, here is some singletrack I built over the weekend.

After a couple days of rain last week back to dry commutes this week. I just passed 1500 miles for the year this morning. Fastest ever to that mark for me.

guy
    Chose the wrong bike today and payed for it. We got a couple inches of snow yesterday afternoon, but it had stopped snowing by 7PM so I assumed the roads would be clear. They were clear in my suburb and the one next to me so I grabbed the normal commuter, but the inner ring suburb and the city were not at all clear. I needed the fat bike or some studded tires, which I don't have, so it was a really slow commute trying to stay upright in the snow and ice.

Went down in an intersection when the tires just slide out from under me. It was almost like sliding into second base. No hard impact, thank goodness, and no traffic at that point. This will likely be my first and only winter without studded tires.

Roads got worse a I got closer to downtown. Cars were parked halfway in the bike lane so I had to take the lane to avoid the door zone, which of course invited some ******* to let me know how he felt about cyclists. Guy in an SUV rides up behind me and honks at me and then slowly pulls alongside as close as he could and gives me the stink eye. I just held my line and did my best to ignore him, but it really pissed me off that he felt justified to try to see how close he could get to me when there was a completely empty lane to the left. As he's passing he started trying to squeeze me out of the lane. Rear quarter panel was probably about 8 inches from my left handle bar. Almost immediately after that, he got stuck in traffic and I passed him and never saw him again. I thought about stopping to have a chat but a couple things stopped me. First, the commute had already taken a lot longer than normal so I was running late. Second, I have a long fuse, but a nasty temper when I finally lose it and I didn't want to start my day with that. I opted for the one finger salute as I rode by.

Bedwards Of The West
    Rodar, wanna know what sucks about that little storm? I was in Sacramento from Thursday to Saturday. Completely missed it. Nice to see some decent snow coming over Donner though. You guys did better than we did, based on what we saw driving through Reno Saturday evening.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Nice looking trail, Woodway! And a neat pic, too. Have you been using Picasa for the editing features, or is there some other advantage to hosting on a separate website? I do have a Photobucket acct for other websites, but every time I post pics that way I curse the extra trouble compared to how easy it is (was?) to simply attatch to a post here on empty beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    ...so it was a really slow commute trying to stay upright in the snow and ice.

I just held my line and did my best to ignore him, but it really pissed me off that he felt justified to try to see how close he could get to me when there was a completely empty lane to the left. As he's passing he started trying to squeeze me out of the lane. Rear quarter panel was probably about 8 inches from my left handle bar.
    That`s bad enough on good surface. Figure in ice and it`s a move for serious a-holes. Good thing you didn`t end up going under his tires.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You guys did better than we did, based on what we saw driving through Reno Saturday evening.
    My wife and I went to lunch in Gerlach yesterday, just for the hell of it. I was surprised how much snow there was around Pyramid- they must have twice as much as we did just 20 "crow miles" away. I guess the weather gets trapped in the basin and just keeps circling around over the lake, picking up moisture and dumping it, then cycling around again.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Freeze thaw freeze thaw freeze thaw....and that is just the MUP. Roads are wet, then freeze with a really thin coat of ice at night in some spots. Makes for a sketchy ride home. Decided that it is time to add the brake back on both fixed gear bikes. Had a few situations that were less than optimal for me to try to stop with no brake. Taking Tuesday off from riding since it is supposed to be mid 30's and rain mixed with snow/sleet/ice. A perfect day to drive the car that I washed Friday and has been sitting in my car port since.

Moderator Moderator
    Trailbuilding in March, mind blown!

We've finally had some relief from the winter-long cold snap, my ride in the teens yesterday felt positively balmy. An inch or two of fresh snow made the ride pretty, but messy. The winds went crazy at 4ish and it looked like a snow tornado outside. By the time I left work it was a more well behaved tailwind. With the warmer temps (and salt and sun) some big puddles are getting trapped on the road because of the big snowbanks. So far they have been avoidable.

Did a few fatbike laps at Millstone Trails Sunday, followed by a snowshoe with a friend, who took this great porcupine pic, and one of my "Keeper" too. (Rodar, I used the regular "go advanced, upload images, select images thingy.) Saturday we exceeded my skijoring/skinny ski skills in the fast conditions, 18 mph maxspeed and several good wipeouts convinced me to use something with brakes on Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-keeperbirches.jpg  

How was your commute today?-cindysporcupine.jpg  

NDD
    Baby boy
    That's great porcupine picture! I both do and don't wish we had some around here.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. A bit of a squeak coming out of the back of the bike - brake pads about gone. Need to replace those. The weather report was for freezing rain this AM, but so far it hasn't gotten here, so fingers crossed that it just stays away. At this point I'd be find with the pathetic winter we've had just being over so I can get to some dirt riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    That's great porcupine picture! I both do and don't wish we had some around here.
    Wow, no porcupines there? I did not know that! How do the vets manage?

Newf, how is your frosted ear? Hoping it is still attached to your head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Almost ate in on a snowy/icy patch on the MUP. The tail end of my bike whipped around suddenly at the bottom of a small decline. I was able to stay up, but my front wheel slipped off the edge of the MUP. I jammed my foot down just in time.

The MUP is mostly clear, save for two stretches I have been mostly avoiding (I ride one stretch on the way home for fun). We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow. Since they never plow the MUP, I might be back on the road. I'm tempted to complain to the city works about the condition of the MUP. The roads have been clear for almost 2 weeks. It wouldn't seem that hard to make a run with a plow on a path that connects people like me to an industrial park that is one of the state's largest places of employment. But I digress...

I'd rather be on my bike
    2+" of snow already, and it just turned to freezing sleet pellets. I think the fat bike is in order here. Should be interesting.

CB of the East
    Sunday I swapped the chain on my fatty and realized that the smallest front chainring was too worn for the new chain.

So, Monday I took a regular MTB. It was the first time riding non-fat in a few months. OMG I felt vulnerable! But fast! The road & lake were OK but the trails were still to soft for 2.1" tires...Abort to road.

Today I put the old chain on the Pugs until my new chainring shows up all is well again. I think the trails were firm enough for the other bike but it changes day to day.

We're due for some wet snow and a 40 degree day so I think the tide is about to turn.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Going from a fat bike to a mountain bike is tough, right? Now go from 4" wide tires to a fixed gear on 23's. That transition is really tough. Feels like I am going to topple over when I start mashing.

CB of the East
    ^^This was the first time it really felt odd to me. Just so much fat tire riding this winter. There's really been no opportunity to ride a road bike for months so I'll get to ease into it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Almost ate in on a snowy/icy patch on the MUP. The tail end of my bike whipped around suddenly at the bottom of a small decline. I was able to stay up, but my front wheel slipped off the edge of the MUP. I jammed my foot down just in time.

The MUP is mostly clear, save for two stretches I have been mostly avoiding (I ride one stretch on the way home for fun). We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow. Since they never plow the MUP, I might be back on the road. I'm tempted to complain to the city works about the condition of the MUP. The roads have been clear for almost 2 weeks. It wouldn't seem that hard to make a run with a plow on a path that connects people like me to an industrial park that is one of the state's largest places of employment. But I digress...
    Here they plow the snow off the road and onto the MUP. I emailed the DOT about it and they told me they had no plans to do anything about it. We are generally a pretty bike friendly area, but I find that policy pretty lame.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Wow, no porcupines there? I did not know that! How do the vets manage?

Too far east and not far enough north. Just not in porcupine range. The vets stay busy with the usual endoparasites and accidents and such. My dog has a knack for getting hookworm so I have to make sure he's covered as early as March.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Here they plow the snow off the road and onto the MUP. I emailed the DOT about it and they told me they had no plans to do anything about it. We are generally a pretty bike friendly area, but I find that policy pretty lame.
    Luckily, my MUP has a 3-4ft wall acting as a divider as the path butts up to the street. There is a nice "drift" at the one end where the wall tapers off, but I can get past it if I hug the fence on the other side.

I ended up sending our public works department a message, but I doubt anything will come of it. It's worth a try. This year, they did plow off the bike lanes after a day or two, which was an improvement from last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Oh yeah. I did far worse to myself when I used to run, but this was the first frostnip in years of biking. Biking forces you to dress properly, but when I ran I'd occasionally go hatless down to about 0F...which is dumb.

And speaking of 0F, that's where we were this morning. A weird, 2-day coldsnap before heading back above freezing tomorrow.

And everything around here is an offleash area, which can be annoying because they're impossible to avoid if you're going for a longish ride. But on the weekend I finally actually took advantage of that, and went for a ride with my pooch for the first time. And it was fantastic:

Most fun bikeride I've had in ages. My rigid ss 26er is a perfect dog bike. And now I can't wait for Saturday when we'll try out a different loop. I figure there are 4 different ~10km routes around town to keep us entertained.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Nice looking trail, Woodway! And a neat pic, too. Have you been using Picasa for the editing features, or is there some other advantage to hosting on a separate website? I do have a Photobucket acct for other websites, but every time I post pics that way I curse the extra trouble compared to how easy it is (was?) to simply attatch to a post here on empty beer.
    I don't remember how I stumbled into Picasa...it has decent enough editing tools but I rarely use them. What I like it how easy it is to link picasa photos...select the photo, select from the predetermined sizes picasa gives you, copy the link and paste it between [IMG] tags. Done.