Page 329 of 621 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 339 379 429 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,225 of 15517
    mtbr member
    Pretty easy to take the pogies on and off. It is only too warm for me usually on the way home, partly because it is all uphill. I usually just ride with my hands out of the pogies in the middle of the bars and hope I don't need the brakes.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, only about 5 secs to get the pogies off, just loosen a spring cordlock thingy that snugs it to the bar & pull off. Maybe 10 secs to get on, just because you have to make sure it slips over the trigger shifters. Ok, if you only used them 10x, saving 10 fingers each time, that would only be like a dollar a finger, or something like that. But seriously, I would be surprised at anyone who tried them and didn't use them more often than that.

mtbr member
    Double commute for me today, since I've got a moderately sick puppy at home who could use an extra bathroom break.

So after about 3 weeks of solid -15C temperatures, we're finally back around freezing for a little while. So a nice warm, slushy, mucky day, and my lunchhour ride was my first commute with daylight in...a month or so? Good stuff.

I Ride for Donuts
    "sick as a dog" didn't become common nomenclature for nothin'.

On the pogies... I'm pretty happy with the Lobsters down to low single digits...and we don't go below zero for more than a few days in a typical winter.... what is the temp range that the pogies are 'comfortable' for most folks? (I seem to have good circulation or something, because lots of people complain about the PI Lobsters down around the teens, but I don't get tingly with them until 7 or 8 degrees F)
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    started packing up to head to Indy for the holidays. planning to do the Polar Bear ride with the mayor on Jan 5 on my commuter.
    I wondered how nutsy it would be to commute in just to do that ride. A 2 hour round trip to clebrate bicycle commuting.

I put a congrats on the defense thread. You are now a certified expert on the thesis topic. Love the glimpse of beaver tail and later confirmation that is what had wandered by the video trap. Nice for wild pigs to come by and make it 'boaring'. Love how the armadillos take their own path.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I had taken off the pogies because they'll be too hot this afternoon in the 40's, even without gloves.
    The Bar Mitts aren't that warm. 40 F with fingerless gloves isn't too hot.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    A lot of sucking and heavy breathing this morning. Threw on a new chain last night, the old one measured due but not overdue, and of course it worked perfectly in the stand but chainsuck hit before I even left my yard. Thinking maybe I had not effectively removed the factory grease & relubed, I went back in for a touch up, but it did not really help. It worked fine in the middle ring, so I went with that the whole way.
    Sounds like a stiff link. Usually the one you put back together if you used a chain tool. backpedal on the stand slowly and watch for one that doesn't straighten back out all the way. You take the factory lube off? I call that a maintenance free week.
    I tried out the Lizard Skins Blizzard (part neoprene but fleecy inside) gloves I got for 14.99 off gearscan and was pleasantly surprised that my hands were warm and dry. It was not a downpour, so I hesitate to call them waterproof, but pretty nice for a cold rain. I had taken off the pogies because they'll be too hot this afternoon in the 40's, even without gloves.
    I'm going to try to resist the urge to get those. My wife is OK with my buying a few bikes a year (29er due in Wed, obsessively checking Fedex tracking for updates, check) but my never ending quest for the perfect gloves.... I want to try pogies but I mentally have trouble spending the money they want for them for a folded piece of cloth with some Velcro. It's too bad too because my hands are cold a lot.

My gear is just about dry from this morning. Time to go out and get soggy again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    They were definitely both pissed. The first one because I didn't "respect his authority", because he was in the wrong. The second one because I started asking him about the laptop issue and that is a bit of a touchy subject since that officer ran down that pedestrian.

Honestly they need some fire under their ass. Out of the 5 states and dozen cities I have lived in I have never seen such an ineffective police force. And, as far as I can seen most of them are clearly anti-bike. Out of the 7 times I have been hit, and one time I was assaulted by the diver after being hit, none of the cops have even been remotely helpful. And I have actually learned that they have broken protocol in a few cases. Don't get me wrong, I hate CM too, but if you can't help a guy that is just trying to get home from work then what good are you.

I have actually been thinking about organizing a protest or something but with my temper and mentality can't see it going well.

Oh dude, some of the bus drivers are terrible. I constantly have issues with them buzzing me, or pulling into the bike lane RIGHT in front of me, or riding my ass (and even honking at me).

I actually got in a yelling match with a driver one morning. I was going straight through a light and for some reason the driver thought it was a good idea to pull up along side me, in the left lane, then try to take a right with me in the way. I hit my zound and he stopped but as I passed he threw open his little slider and let loose. Sometimes this city is unbelievable.
    How do you like the Zound?

This looks pretty cool: Loud Bicycle: Car horns for cyclists by Jonathan Lansey — Kickstarter
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

I'm going to try to resist the urge to get those. My wife is OK with my buying a few bikes a year (29er due in Wed, obsessively checking Fedex tracking for updates, check) but my never ending quest for the perfect gloves.... I want to try pogies but I mentally have trouble spending the money they want for them for a folded piece of cloth with some Velcro. It's too bad too because my hands are cold a lot.
    If your hands are cold, you should like them. I like them because I don't like the feel that I get with thick gloves, so I can use a much thinner glove, fingerless, or none at all under the pogies. I use bar mitts usually, and also have an older pair of Maddens that are fleece lined.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I wondered how nutsy it would be to commute in just to do that ride. A 2 hour round trip to clebrate bicycle commuting.

I put a congrats on the defense thread. You are now a certified expert on the thesis topic. Love the glimpse of beaver tail and later confirmation that is what had wandered by the video trap. Nice for wild pigs to come by and make it 'boaring'. Love how the armadillos take their own path.
    LOL, a 2 hour trip to ride 10 miles. sounds like an efficient plan.

mtbr member
    In one word: cold. Was 8f when I rolled this morning. New neoprene gloves were great except they don't breathe so one ends up with damp gloves for the ride home, but the hands were toasty. I haven't ridden knobby tires on pavement for a very long time and it took some getting used to them and the studs, my speed is definitely slower but I'll get used to it soon enough. Looking forward to really needing the tires.

mtbr member
    mtbxplorer: Maybe something for next year?

Most Radical set up CB, Post'em up here!

Presents issues in locking up the bike. though.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    mtbxplorer: Maybe something for next year?

Most Radical set up CB, Post'em up here!
    BrianMc
    Boat-towing is pretty cool, but I don't know that I could get mine back uphill to my house. If they opened that nearby reservoir to boats I might be tempted to try.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    what is the temp range that the pogies are 'comfortable' for most folks?
    I use mine from about freezing down to -10F, just changing if I wear a glove, or what glove I wear inside them. I have the dogwood designs regulars, but they make a more insulated version for Alaskan expeditions at -40, etc. From your glove descriptions, I'm guessing you wouldn't want them until the 20's maybe.

I wondered how nutsy it would be to commute in just to do that ride. A 2 hour round trip to clebrate bicycle commuting. BrianMc
    I saw some coverage last year of that ride, which was on a real cold day. Loved this pic of a woman in her 70's, I think I posted it over in the WL.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Another great commute today. A balmy 26 F when I left home. The snow we got over the weekend has not really set up yet as the temps are a bit warm yet, so it was still soft and the perfect surface for the fatty. The sky was overcast so I didn't even have to use my headlight other than on the lowest setting to let other cyclists see me coming at them. A great ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    I honestly have no memory of the actual riding part of my last couple commutes...got a new audiobook
    Holy cow...I'm here already?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    New bike is here! Technically I could ride it home but I'll take some time to set it up for me. So I guess it will ride home with the wife. I got a hold of the owner of the LBS that just closed and picked up a pair of 9er Gazza Extreme 294s that will be going on soon. I've got a busy night tonight but hopefully I can take it tomorrow since it's suppose to freeze up tonight.

Oh, and the commute was fine Raining to start but cleared by about 1/2 way.

What format do you get your audio books in? That might be different for the more boring winter road commutes.

I Ride for Donuts
    This was an MP3 download... usually just get them on iTunes, so they're mp3 or m4b or whatever they call their audiobooks... I learned that if you download an mp3 file and just re-name it "m4b", iTunes will put it in the audiobook section.

I've gotten a few from library websites too... sometimes you can just download audiobooks for free, just like checking out a book from the library.

Huckin' trails
    Melted snow from yesterday's rain is now ice on pavement ! Lucky not much, only small patches here and there, but at least nothing wet ! Save the chain, ride the ice !

I'm more concerned with driver's loosing control and hitting me than me crashing ahah
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I'm an audiobook addict, and I get most of them online from the library. You download a free overdrive media software via the library site, and then you can check out books in either WMA or mp3 format. The WMAs take up less room. So you download the book from the website to your computer and then using the overdrive software, transfer it to your ipod. I don't try to concentrate on a story on the bike, but I love them for yardwork, painting, driving, housecleaning, etc. I can even plug the ipod into some special hearing protectors to listen while mowing. You can get an even better selecction if you have a friend with a library card from another system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My library system doesn't do WMA and the stupid, stupid overdrive software doesn't like my Android phone for MP3s. I'd even be willing to install some Overdrive software on my phone to make it happen, but no dice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Going to work this morning was perfectly pleasant, temp was ~18F and my feet were a little chilly but not to bad overall.

The way home was rather eventful. Watched a bozo in a Jeep Wrangler rear and some poor folks in a mini van waiting to turn left on a side street and then another mile down the road I got my first "gay" shout from some classless individual in an SUV.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    My daily commute is ~4.5 miles there and 5.5 miles home. Longer coming back to avoid climbing the steeper streets. The morning has me descending ~500 feet and climbing less than 100.

Today I had a pedal come apart on the downhill. Glad I did not have to climb that way. was able to fix it for the ride home.

Around 30F AM and 38F PM today. Not bad. New tires arrived to get me through the coming snow and ice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    ^ I've got a newish cartridge bearing pedal that got crunchy last friday, so I took it apart to service it and found that the nut on the end of the spindle is stripped. I can't tighten it, but I also can't get it off, so now I can't get the spindle out. I put some grease in, closed everything up, and the crunchiness was gone and it spins fine. But in the back of my mind I'm wondering if/when whatever is left of the nut is going to pack it in, and the pedal will come flying off the spindle.

weirdo
    It was nice out when I got up, but the wind has picked up since sundown. Check of the forecast looks like it`s a wet storm comming in- probably not much snow, but I`m sure it`ll be icy for a few days. Since I just finished repairing the damage from last week`s black ice incedent, I guess I ought to stud up tonight.

My books are still paperback. They go well with my quill stems and canti brakes

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    New bike is here! Technically I could ride it home but I'll take some time to set it up for me.
    Yeah! So, it came in pretty much assembled? My last new bike did- honestly it took some of the fun out of the deal, but it WAS nice to be able to ride within minutes and not go scrounging for all the little miscelaneous stuff that I wouldn`t have thought to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Today I had a pedal come apart on the downhill. Glad I did not have to climb that way. was able to fix it for the ride home.
    Sounds like it could have been painfull!

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've got a newish cartridge bearing pedal that got crunchy last friday, so I took it apart to service it and found that the nut on the end of the spindle is stripped. I can't tighten it, but I also can't get it off, so now I can't get the spindle out. I put some grease in, closed everything up, and the crunchiness was gone and it spins fine. But in the back of my mind I'm wondering if/when whatever is left of the nut is going to pack it in, and the pedal will come flying off the spindle.
    I have a pedal in that condition on my folder. In hindsight, I`m pretty sure I stripped the left handed threads by torquing the crap out of it while trying to get it apart- it wasn`t easy! In my defense, I have other pedals of the same brand/different model that use right handed threads on both sides with a Nylock. I`ve taken those apart many times to regrease the "nonserviceable" bearings over the past five years or so, and thought they`d be the same. Maybe not, though.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I have a pedal in that condition on my folder. In hindsight, I`m pretty sure I stripped the left handed threads by torquing the crap out of it while trying to get it apart- it wasn`t easy!
    Is that actually a thing? I'd wondered about that the first time I took apart a cartridge pedal, but have only seen the nylock ones. This pedal is drive-side, so normal thread where it connects to the crank, which I guess would mean reverse-thread on the spindle end if I'm getting my rotation torques right?

Anyway, this one apparently came pre-stripped from the store/factory. I think it's over a year old, but it barely has any miles on it, which is annoying.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Good commute

Was a little nippy for Phoenix area at 34 F. But I passed the 3000 mile mark for the year on the way home which made the day extra special !