Page 328 of 428 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332338378 ... LastLast
Results 16,351 to 16,400 of 21390
    z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Texico,

I am Glad to hear that there are no breaks or fractures. Once the adrenaline wears off, the hurting begins.

Often, the scariest part of my commute begins once I arrive on campus or when I leave to go home.

Hope the insurance company gets you sorted out quickly and that the hurtin goes away!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    I think part of my problem is the sizing.

That's my problem to be sure. I drove all the way down to Colorado Springs to the CO Cyclist to try on a pair. Made the mistake of 1) wearing socks that were too thin. 2) not accounting for my feet swelling a little when riding. On my ride home the shoes are noticeably tighter than on my ride to work. Not that it matters in my case as they don't make a 49. :-(

I really hate how inconsistent sizing is amongst various manufacturers.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    I have now joined the club of "Cyclists who have been hit by cars". Another student hit me right after I had turned onto campus from the main road. I was going straight on a road that circles the parking lots, and she turned left and hit me broadside. Luckily no fractures or breaks (which is the most important part), but parts of my bike are pretty well mangled. No more bike commuting until the insurance claim goes through. Also I'm just in pain all over the right side of my body.
    Good that you're ok. Hope everything works out for you.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    Oh no, get well soon Texico!

mtbr member
    From one Texan to another, get better! I'm still fighting with the insurance company from my collision back in November. Finally replaced that bike Saturday, out of my own pocket.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Resident Texican
    Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. That's crazy about your situation, though, Texan! I didn't realize you were still fighting their insurance. If you don't mind me asking, which insurance company is giving you a hard time?

Also it has been confirmed that my bike is pretty much totaled. I didn't realize it before taking it in to the shop, but the steel fork is bent quite a bit, which means the frame might be warped too. The non-drive-side crank arm is bent back in to the rear wheel as well. This is along with damaged rims and I don't know what damage is like to the drive train.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Yup, still going back and forth with Auto Owners Ins. My Cannondale was wrecked, and they refused to pay, saying that because the van never came into contact with the bike (it came into contact with ME!), they weren't liable for those damages. It's been nothing but stupid crap from the insurance company, and it really irritates me considering that I strive to live my life in a way that I don't cause suffering to others. These folks, on the other hand.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1424141516943.jpgI leave the house at 0530 for 8 miles north. It's gonna be a fun ride tomorrow morning.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    I didn't realize it before taking it in to the shop, but the steel fork is bent quite a bit, which means the frame might be warped too. The non-drive-side crank arm is bent back in to the rear wheel as well.
    Sorry to hear it, Texico. It`s amazing that you could come out unhurt with ll that damage to your bike. Did you go flying clear of everything and the bike go under the car? Hope you have better insurance luck than Texan-n-Fla. I have read of insurance cases on the forums that actually went well for the cyclists, so you do stand a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    My Cannondale was wrecked, and they refused to pay, saying that because the van never came into contact with the bike (it came into contact with ME!), they weren't liable for those damages.
    Aw, jeez- that`s nuts. After all the weird crap that health insurance companies pull, I guess the auto insurance guys wanted to get in on the craziness racket too : (
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Yup, still going back and forth with Auto Owners Ins. My Cannondale was wrecked, and they refused to pay, saying that because the van never came into contact with the bike (it came into contact with ME!), they weren't liable for those damages. It's been nothing but stupid crap from the insurance company, and it really irritates me considering that I strive to live my life in a way that I don't cause suffering to others. These folks, on the other hand.
    Wow, that is insane! I wonder if your insurance company would get involved and do the fighting for you if you can make a claim under auto or home. I assume hiring your own lawyer would be prohibitively expensive...wouldn't it be nice if bike advocacy groups could afford a staff attorney to help out in these situations?

mtbr member
    I have an attorney, and this is what we're getting. I'm pretty disappointed with how it's all played out, but this far in I can't go get another attorney. My primary concern is having medical bills paid that my insurance has covered, and some reparation for missed work and decreased work productivity. I was going to replace the Cannondale anyway, just not so soon.

I opted to drive in this morning. Threat of 30 mph headwinds and sore legs from this weekend aren't the makings of an enjoyable ride. Take myself a recovery day, and get back after it tomorrow. Baby #4 is due any day now, so who knows when I might get back to commuting, although I'll likely only take a week or so.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Wow, that is insane! I wonder if your insurance company would get involved and do the fighting for you if you can make a claim under auto or home. I assume hiring your own lawyer would be prohibitively expensive...wouldn't it be nice if bike advocacy groups could afford a staff attorney to help out in these situations?
    That's a really sound idea. Perhaps at the local club level a member who's an attorney could take that on for a modest retainer. In 1983 I was hit by a car leaving an alley. Although I was able to shrug off the injuries (when your 19, getting launched 20 feet is apparently less impactive than it would be at 52) my bike was totaled. Now you'd think an insurance company whose driver hit a cyclist leaving an alley would jump at a $400 settlement, but that wasn't the case. I went to the legal office at the college I was attending and presented the facts to their attorney (birkenstocks and a schwinn varsity in the office were very telling). He made one phone call and based on the cost of litegation (as opposed to the facts of the case) they settled. Again, that's a solid idea. I may propose it to our club.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm new to winter biking, but not winter weather...This morning was one of my coldest commutes...I'd say top 5...that being said, not as bad as I really expected...
    Little Falls, MN (56345) Weather

Wind Chill Advisory #1 from Tue, 12am until Wed, 12pm
    2 

8:30 am
    Tue, Feb 17

Weather Condition Icon
    -12F
    Feels Like -22
    Partly Cloudy
    0%
    WNW 9 mph

mtbr member
    Florida requires PIP insurance, and because it was a motor vehicle collision, my auto insurance is covering my medical bills up to 10k, after which my health insurance through my employer will kick in. The problem was the Cannondale had significant damage. Carbon fork was trashed, new rear mech was scratched and bent, bars were bent, shifters had to be rebuilt. I had two repair quotes, both around 1600, to get the bike to where it was before. I'm looking into Velosurance, which seems to be a good deal. Honestly, I'm over the whole thing. I'll live with my injuries and learn from the experience. I just want it to be over with.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Took the longer route as the temps are so warm. The trails are snot slick in spots, though. A few shots of rain overnight top of packed snow...not fun, but not horrid, either

mtbr member
    Florida requires PIP insurance, and because it was a motor vehicle collision, my auto insurance is covering my medical bills up to 10k, after which my health insurance through my employer will kick in. The problem was the Cannondale had significant damage. Carbon fork was trashed, new rear mech was scratched and bent, bars were bent, shifters had to be rebuilt. I had two repair quotes, both around 1600, to get the bike to where it was before. I'm looking into Velosurance, which seems to be a good deal. Honestly, I'm over the whole thing. I'll live with my injuries and learn from the experience. I just want it to be over with.
    Sorry for this trouble. If there is a police report that includes that the bike was damaged, then I don't see how the insurance company is not honoring the claim. without such a police report, you are done there. Check you homeowners insurance. You will have a deductible but won't be out the whole thing.

We need a police report of any collision and all the damage or we are screwed.

I had a police report with the driver charged for failure to yield and even then the agent tried to screw me out of paying the full repairs on the bike. I had to point out that I was not intending to sue for pain and suffering, the hospital visit and all the other crap, but if he wanted lawyers involved, they would likely get me a nice chunk of change and the full replacement cost and make themselves some easy cash. I got the settlement.

mtbr member
    Baby #4 is due any day now, so who knows when I might get back to commuting, although I'll likely only take a week or so.
    Wishing you the best in both endeavors.

Also wishing Texico a fast healing and better insurance results.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Man...when I got hit, the insurance company (Progressive) was super easy to deal with. Good luck with everything.

Bedwards Of The West
    Wow, Texico, sorry to hear that!! Heal quick, and may your new bike be in every way an upgrade.

Feels like spring around here. Took the trail this morning. Ditched a layer. Unzipped the softshell. Fired up the GoPro to fuel the east coast jealousy. Only a matter of time before the Sierras are the new Florida. I'm gonna plant some palm trees soon.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-17-10.40.32-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ...Fired up the GoPro to fuel the east coast jealousy...
    Oh, you did not just start a jealousy contest did you! Our trails ripened over the weekend. Miles and miles of hardpacked SNOW. I set a new PR on one trail section this morning, it was like they paved it for me.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Wow, Texico, sorry to hear that!! Heal quick, and may your new bike be in every way an upgrade.

Feels like spring around here. Took the trail this morning. Ditched a layer. Unzipped the softshell. Fired up the GoPro to fuel the east coast jealousy. Only a matter of time before the Sierras are the new Florida. I'm gonna plant some palm trees soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.40.32 AM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	965197
    Don't harbor invasive species,CB. Oh yeah, we must've got your winter..

How was your commute today?-20150217_070343.jpg

Slow going today. Cut out two miles by taking road half the way and mup the remainder. May do a little trail ride between classes...

mtbr member
    Supposed to be coming down tomorrow. Fenders mounted. Need to find myself a good rain cover for my backpack. Speaking of, I just found a Camelbak Hawg for a great price on Online Swap Meet. Can't wait for it to get here.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice try CB, but I just told a friend in Maine she should put her snow on ebay for you guys Drought cancels World Cup ski competition at Squaw Valley - SFGate We should be trail riding by July!

My snow this weekend was so wind-driven (and cold), that I can stand on 3' drifts in my yard without even making a footprint. Step in the wrong place, however, and you'll be hip-deep.

No ride today, could not get the bike to my park-n-pedal, as my Subie's hatch was frozen shut and then the latch busted.

weirdo
    Yeah, happy Valentines Day, CB. Does this look "seasonally correct" to you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p2151874.jpg  

Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    Ride back was meh. I tried the mup, but people had walked all over it leaving the surface really uneven. Add some super wet and slick snow coming down and at 9:00 after more than 14 hours outta home I just decided I was gonna use the road. I was hoping it wouldn't be busy... But it was. The right lanes and shoulders were clear though!!

If this happened more than once or twice a year, I might be in for wider tires or even studs... or a Krampus.

CB of the East
    Bummer on the Subie latch. We've got the same wind packed snow. To my surprise I can ride over the drifts on the lake...until the wheel breaks through and I stop abruptly.

Last night was a prime example of when a fatbike works and a non-fat bike doesn't. Rollingrunner was excited to finally get on her bike after weeks of deep snow. My report from the morning ride was that the trails were firm. Along comes the groomer and loosenes everything up again. She had a nice walk through the woods on her bike until the first road. An hour later I rode the whole way. She's already started fatbike shopping.

The trails had firmed back up by this morning and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Great pics, Bedwards!

This morning was hell. 17 mph sustained head wind with gusts up to 30. I decided to embrace the hurt and do some HIIT. I'm loving everything about this new bike except the shifters and brakes, which I knew I would be replacing. I just didn't think I would hate them this much. It finally dried out and the sun is shining, so I'll be posting pics tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Ride in: 10F, sunny, and very windy. They forecasted them to be near 35mph but I think it fell short. I ended up stopping at the bike shop on the way in, not to warm up, but to cool down. I was dressed better than I ever have for any ride, ever. Bike lane was a mix of slush and car snot. Was able to park the bike inside since it is the weekend.
    Ride home: 0F, felt like -20F with a strong NW wind. I got home, and honestly, I felt underwhelmed. I might have psyched myself up and was let down. It was cold, but when I got home, the only thing remotely cold were my feet, and they were just starting to get cold. I actually rode the rest of the MUP near my complex to check out the conditions. Hands have never been warmer on a cold ride than today. They were drenched when I got to work, and very warm when I got home tonight. Sunday is forecasted for wind chills near -35F so I will probably test that out and ride in again.

I remember last year I think I set my minimum temperature to ride at 30F or something like that.

Sounds like you figured out something that works for your hands - glad to see that. What did the trick?

(sorry, I got frustrated clicking back to find it. something is wrong with my right arm and I think the mouse has a lot to do with it. Even though it doesn't seem to be making things worse have been limiting myself to 1 ride / week in an effort to promote healing, which means no commuting )

Glad everyone in here is keeping it going.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. The temps are starting to go back down and the MUP isn't in too bad of shape overall. There are a few swampy spots that haven't completely frozen back over. Today we are supposed to remain right around freezing, so hopefully things won't get too wet before I have to ride home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    This morning in Central Minnesota: Little Falls, MN (56345) W-13 F 8:25 am CST Feels Like -29F. Every ride is a good ride On my way home yesterday I took the scenic route through the Lindberg State Park...just opened to fat biking about a week ago!!! You gotta break your own trails but that's half the fun on a fattie...took it down on the frozen pike creek bottom...scenery and ride is just awesome...next time i'll try and bring a camera to share a picture...

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    no secret that I'm insanely jealous and just trying to convince myself that dirt is cool in February... thanks for the shout-out. Nice pics.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    As for me, I am loving this winter. Another awesome morning ride 37 degrees, clear skies and no wind. I can see the sun starting to rise in the east now as the days are getting longer. Should be sunny and upper 50's for the ride home tonight. Sweet!

mtbr member

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1424280499928.jpgtomorrow morning is going to be terrible. Tomorrow evening, on the other hand... I need to get some tights for this weather, but I feel stupid when I know it's only going to last a few days, if that.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Sounds like you figured out something that works for your hands - glad to see that. What did the trick?

(sorry, I got frustrated clicking back to find it. something is wrong with my right arm and I think the mouse has a lot to do with it. Even though it doesn't seem to be making things worse have been limiting myself to 1 ride / week in an effort to promote healing, which means no commuting )

Glad everyone in here is keeping it going.
    Thanks, yep got the hands finally figured out. North Face outer gloves, Nike running style gloves as a liner, and the air activated hand warmer packets is the perfect combo for these cold temps.

Hope you get healed up quickly.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4001/6000

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    tomorrow morning is going to be terrible. Tomorrow evening, on the other hand... I need to get some tights for this weather, but I feel stupid when I know it's only going to last a few days, if that.
    I would not buy tights for just a few days of cooler weather. 46 degrees is quite comfortable in shorts once you get moving, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Went out for a ride at lunch with the temperatures a little above freezing, and my back and butt got soaked. My new pannier rack doesn't have a top deck (I have no idea why they do that), and while a rack with a deck isn't as good as an actual fender, that deck sure does something. I'm going to have to rig something together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    [QUOTE=newfangled;11780131]Went out for a ride at lunch with the temperatures a little above freezing, and my back and butt got soaked. My new pannier rack doesn't have a top deck (I have no idea why they do that), and while a rack with a deck isn't as good as an actual fender, that deck sure does something. I'm going to have to rig something together.

I use a breathable pair of rain pants tucked into my waterproof airborne boots...keeps me dry and comfortable and the road grime off me...that being said my wife giggles every time I leave the house looking like that...but I'm ok with the trade off.

mtbr member
    ^ I'm just riding in junky commuting clothes that I'm going to change out of, so it wasn't actually a big deal...but I still got completely soaked. And I've also got a different bike with full fenders for really wet days. I was just surprised that pannier decks apparently are reasonably effective fenders, and not having one makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Leg warmers are nice for many situations, much cheaper than tights. They are especially great for fall MTB rides when the morning is in the upper 30s low 40s, but the afternoon gets into the 60s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Newfangled, Axiom's rackrunner rear fender is probably too narrow for your tires.

I made a deck for mine with bent wood held on with zip ties. The side of a plastic storage tote or a strip of coroplast from a political campaign sign would do the same thing for really cheap.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    ... something is wrong with my right arm and I think the mouse has a lot to do with it. Even though it doesn't seem to be making things worse have been limiting myself to 1 ride / week in an effort to promote healing, which means no commuting )
    Sorry to hear about your arm, AlexCuse. If you haven't tried it yet, one thing that has helped me is switching the left and right mouse buttons (in your control panel settings) and using it with the opposite hand for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I would not buy tights for just a few days of cooler weather. 46 degrees is quite comfortable in shorts once you get moving, IMHO.
    Other alternatives people might have lying around are track/warmup pants or old sweatpants cut off to knicker or long-shorts length. Both can go over chamois shorts for warmth combined with cush.

Nice pix Bedwards, and glad you got a nice fatbike ride in.
    Happy fatbike shopping RollingRunner!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    I made a deck for mine with bent wood held on with zip ties. The side of a plastic storage tote or a strip of coroplast from a political campaign sign would do the same thing for really cheap.
    I've certainly admired that woodwork. But I used a plastic duotang/folder/thing from work to DIY one of these, and I'll probably try something similar for the rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Tupperware?

mtbr member

My wife has a pair of tights I'm gonna try out. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, and as requested, a few pics of the new ride. More to come later in the pic thread.

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1424301650830.jpg

How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1424301665459.jpg

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ rad bike.

Realized today that my right cap to my new lock on group fell off yesterday. Heard a ping on the road and assumed I had hit some debris... All good things suck. I mean, it's on tthere alright, but now it looks ghetto.

Seriously considering scouring the road tomorrow. Probably too late. Ugh. On the bright side Easton grips are the bee's knees. They're the kinda oval shaped ones with nice tacky rubber. So wicked sweet on the hands.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    OTOH...
    They sure come in handy for all sorts of circumstances both on and off the bike. I have a pair of cheap synthetic long john pants that I use under shorts for when it`s just a little too cold for bare legs, under pants for an extra 10* of comfort, in my sleeping bag when the temps are not quite up to snuff.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I tried my wife's tights on tonight. I'm surprised by how much stretch they had. I think they'll get the job done, and really look no different than any other tights that would be worn. I'm good with it.

mtbr member
    I felt like Oprah was giving away free headwinds this morning.

guy
    I felt like Oprah was giving away free headwinds this morning.
    You get a headwind! YOU get a headwind!

guy
    I chickened out this morning. 0F with 15-20mph winds and I let it get in my head.. I debated riding for so long this morning that it eventually got to be too late and I had to drive. I was disappointed that I didn't ride as I walked in from my parking lot. Really didn't feel that cold...I let the cager hysteria skew my perception of how cold is too cold.