Page 328 of 574 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 338 378 428 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,200 of 14327
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Close one, Greg! Slapping at the door/kicking it works I m told.

12 stitches out today. 75% of the scabs off. New helmet, tires , pedals here tomorrow, or Monday. Bill on helmet to keep forehead off pavement if there is a next time? And Yellow. Figure it will help me be seen at 7' in the air when on the tops. Shimano 2-way pedals as the Wellgos don't seem to wear well in the clicking in and out department.

The shoulder and left hand need work.

BrianMc
    Take the shouldr very seriously...from ROM, stretching and strength perspectives.

Consider also a helmet with ear flaps, and least for the winter, maybe even full coverage if it gets cold enough, the protection far exceeds a "standard bike helmet.

Snowboard Helmets | evo

Just some examples...check out a full coverage as well, in winter with the right googles you will be just fine.

mtbr member
    A lovely commute, as always. A brisk 15 degrees this morning, warmed up to 35 or so for the ride home...causing a bit of sweat heading up the hill. Got honked at yesterday for the first time in a while, of course I was just riding on the road, while he didn't even have a plate on his car. Doesn't bother me. I like riding in my little town.

mtbr member
    With the exception of having to walk the last mile or so home due to a flattening tire, it hasn't been too bad lately. It really irks me that no one here cleans up after car accidents so there is glass, plastic bits and other assorted debris all along the road. They push it out if the main lanes of travel onto the shoulder where I ride and then into the tire. I've had more flats in the last 6 months than I did in a year in Portland. Then again, the accumulated wear on the tires probably plays a role.

Going to mount the studded tires that showed up this week over the weekend as they're finally forecasting some snow. . We'll see if I'm so enthusiastic after it does snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My commute today was pretty regular. Except for the addition of Shimano 540s and my o'-so-comfortable Chrome Midway Pro's I got Thursday and last Saturday, respectively.

I read many a horror story about SPD pedals/shoes and thought I may be in over my head. Turns out, I've taken to them quite easily. I love it. Seems to be working a whole other set of muscles in my legs. Good stuff.
    Salsa Casseroll SS.

mtbr member
    Helmet (not yellow but with red and white blazes) arrived, new tires, pedals (one sided) and I picked up new shorts, gloves and tubes at the LBS. Helmet light wire broken even though cables wire tied. Strange. Pectoral/shoulder improved most of the way back, right hand, too. New jacket, jerseys, and some under layers are here.

Trying out Soma's Panaracer made, 'New Express with HyperTex casing (stronger and more flexible than Kevlar) for a smooth ride and dependable, long lasting on urban roads.

Soma New Xpress Special Edition 700c - Folding Bead

Replacement for Kevlar belted Panaracer Tourguards.

I still have Tourguards in 28C as spares.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice! Did you get the pink Soma's? They look like they'd have the best daytime visibility.

Way to go iamJ4Ron!

Stay safe in the snow, Spatialized. Mounting my snows too, might be a week early, will be warmer after 1" snow tonight, but I had the time for some bike maintenance this weekend.

mtbr member
    Can't wait for tomorrow, 4 inches of snow and sleet tonight changing to rain tomorrow...should be sloppy. The best part is the looks from the zombies in their cars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Nice! Did you get the pink Soma's? They look like they'd have the best daytime visibility.
    *** The homophobes around here would head for those like bulls seeing red flags. These would help night visibility:

Soma New Xpress Reflective 700c Tires

Panaracer made tires with reflective stripes are uncommon.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    *** The homophobes around here would head for those like bulls seeing red flags.

BrianMc

How would the haters feel about having their ass beat by a guy in tights with pink tires? I say go for it. Straight against hate.

started packing up to head to Indy for the holidays. planning to do the Polar Bear ride with the mayor on Jan 5 on my commuter.

I'll be car-topping both the mtb and the commuter, with a soft rooftop bag between the bike carriers. I have Thule Sidearm carriers and have been considering how to best handle the commuter. Options are to remove the front fender, or not. I was looking checking things out earlier and it looks like I might be fine using the carrier and just pressing the fender down a few mm onto the tire. There's not much clearance there and it looks like the fender would be fine doing so. But I wouldn't be able to get the hook of the sidearm all the way to the fork. If I pulled the fender off, I'd be able to do that.

Do y'all have any suggestions about it? I haven't car-topped this bike before.

Also looks like I ought to look into some studded tires soon. Sub-freezing daytime temps after some rain are likely to mean ice. I won't be commuting anywhere immediately so I'll be able to postpone that purchase for a little while, though.

mtbr member
    Stingy. 20mph sleet on the cheeks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    15 F. Snow the night before. Ice all over the place. My lights crapped out on me. Definitely my first icey commute since I've been up here at Texas tech.

And for some reason I wanna go back out there! perhaps it has to do with this final I'm about to take....

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Huckin' trails
    Nice 2-3" of snow this night, but unfortunately temperature didn't dropped down under 0.3, so it's starting to melt down from car tracks and other city sloppy seconds... Gonna get slush instead of fine white powder on my commute tomorrow morning
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Nice 2-3" of snow this night, but unfortunately temperature didn't dropped down under 0.3, so it's starting to melt down from car tracks and other city sloppy seconds... Gonna get slush instead of fine white powder on my commute tomorrow morning
    Ditto - I got a few slush baths on the way in and still no hot showers at work. But I have some new pedals so it's all good. Nice big platforms for the commuter to replace the cheap ones I smashed in my crash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Commute this morning was good, a little brisk ~25F and a decent cross wind. I'm jealous of you guys getting snow, it's still nothing but rain around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    How would the haters feel about having their ass beat by a guy in tights with pink tires? I say go for it. Straight against hate.
    *** I think that after a V10 Ram with mudders has gone over me I won't have a lot of fight left in me. There is also a fair amount of meth about. So add brainless into the mix.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Do y'all have any suggestions about it? I haven't car-topped this bike before.
    I've got a Thule rack (hitch-mount, not car-top) and I just ratchet the arm down over the top of my fender (Planet Bike Cascadia), pinning the fender between the arm and the wheel. It only pushes it down a small amount and does not seem to cause any damage.

I Ride for Donuts
    28 degreees... but "feels like" 23. What does that even mean?

Should have gone to the lobster gloves this morning. I'm still being stubborn and holding out with the 'level 2' gloves. Got a bit tingly.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I've got a Thule rack (hitch-mount, not car-top) and I just ratchet the arm down over the top of my fender (Planet Bike Cascadia), pinning the fender between the arm and the wheel. It only pushes it down a small amount and does not seem to cause any damage.
    I have the same fenders. Good deal. Will save the irritation of finding space inside for the removed fender. It'll be at a premium.

Forecast on my security system suggested a morning low of 25 today but my backyard weather station says it actually got down to 36. That is a pretty substantial difference. I finally found my full fingered gloves last night thankfully

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dec 10.....less than 8 hours of daylight until jan31....

Lots of vitamin D.

mtbr member
    Freaking awesome commute today! Mid twenties, fresh powder, silence. Amazing! We finally got some good snow here in Anchortown over the weekend and I purposefully did not ride at all this weekend as my legs were telling me they needed a rest. So this morning was a wonderful treat. We got just a bit of fresh snow over what fell on Saturday night, there weren't many tracks out, and I was able to really enjoy the ride today. Great times.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    started packing up to head to Indy for the holidays. planning to do the Polar Bear ride with the mayor on Jan 5 on my commuter.
    How did your defense go?

Panaracer made tires with reflective stripes are uncommon.
    Just going by what`s caught my own eye, I think reflective sidewalls are getting more common in a hurry- more manufacturers getting on that bandwagon.

Side note: Did you know that Panaracer is part of Panasonic? That might be a "Duh!" kind of statement, but I just recently figured it out!

Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    Definitely my first icey commute since I've been up here at Texas tech.

And for some reason I wanna go back out there! perhaps it has to do with this final I'm about to take....
    Ice can be fun some times. Finals I don`t think have ever been described as "fun", so that makes sense
    Good luck with both.
    Recalculating....

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    How did your defense go?
    I have a thread up in OC with a vid and some pictures I used in my defense. In short, I did well. I have some revisions to the document to make, but I have until January to get them finished. I'm headed to Indy for a few weeks through the holidays, and then I'm going to come back to TX for a week to personally deliver everything. I think it would probably not cost much different to do that than to ship the 1,000+ pages of multiple printed copies overnight with signature and all that.

Moderator Moderator
    A lot of sucking and heavy breathing this morning. Threw on a new chain last night, the old one measured due but not overdue, and of course it worked perfectly in the stand but chainsuck hit before I even left my yard. Thinking maybe I had not effectively removed the factory grease & relubed, I went back in for a touch up, but it did not really help. It worked fine in the middle ring, so I went with that the whole way.

We only got 1/2" of snow overnight, plus some ice, but it was raining the whole way. I was glad I violated my usual anti-clammy rainpant stance, they are worthwhile at 33F in slush and rain.

I tried out the Lizard Skins Blizzard (part neoprene but fleecy inside) gloves I got for 14.99 off gearscan and was pleasantly surprised that my hands were warm and dry. It was not a downpour, so I hesitate to call them waterproof, but pretty nice for a cold rain. I had taken off the pogies because they'll be too hot this afternoon in the 40's, even without gloves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ How quick is it to remove/install the pogies? Worth it for only a handful of uses in a winter?

..and that's a lot of carbide!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)