Page 327 of 429 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337377427 ... LastLast
Results 16,301 to 16,350 of 21411
    mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    That still blows my mind.

Took a different route today to check some more storm damage. There was a "share the road" sign that had completely blown over so it was still attached to the ground, but sticking sideways on it's post, parallel to the ground. Wanted a pic of the bike leaning on that, but someone had removed it (yesterday, apparently). Here's a pic of the aftermath of an epic tailwind. Rodar will recognize the caboose on the right.

Attachment 963091
    I saw your pic on the "Look At My Bike Leaning Against Stuff" group. Lol!
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Great ride in this AM. Warm temps and good conditions allowed me to roll pretty fast. Fun times. The weather man predicts a small shot of snow today. We'll see.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I saw your pic on the "Look At My Bike Leaning Against Stuff" group. Lol!
    Best group ever! I had the banner photo one time
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-09-8.13.04-am.jpg

Things are calming down a bit. Nice sunny ride this morning.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-11-8.12.48-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Your pics make me miss my previous, mostly canal path, commute. There was a certain calm about rolling through nature amidst sprawling suburbia.

The last two days were pretty miserable in the morning. No extreme temperatures, but the wind is blowing down from the Hudson bay to the north. Bitter, dry, cold, miserable, etc. Supposed to get a rare calm day tomorrow, maybe I'll break my streak of not riding on my days off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    49:15 on both fixed gear bikes. Stationary police speed trap had me at 28mph last year when we were screwing around. I would imagine that I could get 30 pretty easily.
    For 30mph you'd have to pedal around 120rpm, so it's definitely possible. My top pedaling speed is around 20mph, but I'm running 42:18 on 26" wheels. I don't know if I'd make it up the hills around here on 49:15.

The wind was raging today. 28F with flurries. I had a tail wind for maybe a minute. I had to travel for work yesterday, so I didn't get my ride in. It felt good to get back on the bike. We might get some snow early next week, which is welcome news for me. We've only had about 6" total all winter.

CB of the East
    Last night's trip home was extremely disappointing. I rode the trails home and they SUCKED. The groomer had just come through, which sounds like a good thing, except the grooming is to make it better for snowmobiles, not bikes. What it does is take the very lightly packed snow, which was OK to ride, dig it up and spread it out leaving a few inches of dense but not packed snow on the top. It took about 1-1/2 hours to go 7 miles. The back wheel may have gone 12 miles. Finally the groomer turned off and I got to ride about a mile of semi-packed trail which was much better. This was all on a fat bike running tire pressure so low that riding any firm surface was awful.

Blah, I took the car today. I may try to ride tomorrow but my spirit is broken. This is getting old.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Last night's trip home was extremely disappointing. I rode the trails home and they SUCKED. The groomer had just come through, which sounds like a good thing, except the grooming is to make it better for snowmobiles, not bikes. What it does is take the very lightly packed snow, which was OK to ride, dig it up and spread it out leaving a few inches of dense but not packed snow on the top. It took about 1-1/2 hours to go 7 miles. The back wheel may have gone 12 miles. Finally the groomer turned off and I got to ride about a mile of semi-packed trail which was much better. This was all on a fat bike running tire pressure so low that riding any firm surface was awful.

Blah, I took the car today. I may try to ride tomorrow but my spirit is broken. This is getting old.
    I have hit that wall (well not the slow fat bike wall)....Commuting for me is all about everyday and conveince...

You have to know when to bail, and take the easy way....Even one week of heavy car snot, can sap the legs and spirit...

Adjust your riding accordingly.

mtbr member
    Meh. A bit ill the last few days. Went home early yesterday and went to bed by 5:30 and slept straight through to 3:55 this morning. Was seriously considering not coming into the office, but figured the miles would help me feel a bit more like myself and I've got a ton of stuff to get done today so I can take tomorrow off guilt free. So here I am - headache, stomach ache, tired and run down, with achey joints to boot. Good times. At least there is no wind and the temps are decent.

JeffScott - I do agree that it is important to know when to bail, though I think bail can have a different meaning for everyone. For me it can either mean taking a shorter route, taking a route that puts me out of whatever it is that is dragging me down (wind, car snot, ect.), taking a longer route if it is a mental malaise that's dragging me down, or - in only the most dire of circumstances - calling for a ride - as I did last Thursday when the wind on the second leg of my commute was blowing from the north at a steady 48mph and gusting to near 70 and the first half of my second leg is north and uphill.

Grooming is a strange thing - it can take something that is superior riding and turn it to crap if you get there too soon after the groom. I've had days last winter when in the AM the trails were bomber for riding, then the muni groomed it for skiing at mid-day and by the time I was leaving for the day it'd still be soft and hard to ride coupled with foot holes from the walkers. Ideally it's best to not ride a fresh groom until it's had plenty of time to set up - overnight if the temps are much above 20F.

CB of the East
    Yeah, the trails looked like they were in good shape before the groom. The trouble we have is that the temps have been so cold that the snow refuses to consolidate. Yes it gets packed but it doesn't stick together so the groomer or a yahoo on a snowmobile that likes to get into the throttle stirs it back up again. Most of the trails are in the woods or the sun would help. Oh, and we get more of the white stuff every other day, like today.

This too will pass. The sun is getting stronger and we're going to have a killer base. It feels like it's been forever but it's only been 2+ weeks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the trails looked like they were in good shape before the groom. The trouble we have is that the temps have been so cold that the snow refuses to consolidate. Yes it gets packed but it doesn't stick together so the groomer or a yahoo on a snowmobile that likes to get into the throttle stirs it back up again. Most of the trails are in the woods or the sun would help. Oh, and we get more of the white stuff every other day, like today.

This too will pass. The sun is getting stronger and we're going to have a killer base. It feels like it's been forever but it's only been 2+ weeks.
    I'm certain that south central Alaska would be more than happy to take any of that snow off your hands for you! We're still super light on snow - so much so that the start of the Iditarod this year has been moved to Fairbanks. This is only the second time that has happened in the race's history.

CB of the East
    I know they are out of "snow farms" in Boston and are asking for private landowners if they can take any snow. I think Alaska might be a little too far to ship it. We haven't had quite as much but more than enough.
    Boston Turns to Snow Farms, Melting Trucks in Desperate Effort to Unclog City Streets

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know they are out of "snow farms" in Boston and are asking for private landowners if they can take any snow. I think Alaska might be a little too far to ship it. We haven't had quite as much but more than enough.
    Boston Turns to Snow Farms, Melting Trucks in Desperate Effort to Unclog City Streets
    Help me out here Boston has a seashore and a harbor....

dump the snow in the ocean it melts and you move on....kinda like montreal....they built up the sewer system so they can dump the snow into it at snow dump stations then add water melt it and let it go to the river....

The may have issues with the harbor but geez a couple of big barges should do the trick

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Help me out here Boston has a seashore and a harbor....

dump the snow in the ocean it melts and you move on....kinda like montreal....they built up the sewer system so they can dump the snow into it at snow dump stations then add water melt it and let it go to the river....

The may have issues with the harbor but geez a couple of big barges should do the trick
    There are some hurdles to just dumping snow into the harbor. I read an article somewhere that there are state laws regulating the dumping of snow into the ocean or harbor, and there are EPA restrictions as well relating to the contaminants found in road snow. It can be done, and it looks like they are going to go that route, but the practice is typically frowned upon except for under extreme circumstances.

Boston Weather: City May Dump= Extra Snow Into the Harbor

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    There are some hurdles to just dumping snow into the harbor. I read an article somewhere that there are state laws regulating the dumping of snow into the ocean or harbor, and there are EPA restrictions as well relating to the contaminants found in road snow. It can be done, and it looks like they are going to go that route, but the practice is typically frowned upon except for under extreme circumstances.

Boston Weather: City May Dump= Extra Snow Into the Harbor
    Interesting

So where does the EPA think all the bad stuff (salt, gravel, fines, soot etc) ends up....in the harbor via the storm drain system....albiet at a much slower rate, but nonetheless a significant rate during a snow melt period...(solution to pollution is dilution)

Best bet shovel it up quick and dump it in the harbor before all the crap gets laid down on it.

guy
    So where does the EPA think all the bad stuff (salt, gravel, fines, soot etc) ends up....in the harbor via the storm drain system....albiet at a much slower rate, but nonetheless a significant rate during a snow melt period...(solution to pollution is dilution)
    I think the line of thought there is, under normal circumstances, much of the snow melt gets filtered before ending up back in the harbor. Not sure how true that is though.

CB of the East
    Most people, including me, agree with you. Most of it will end up there anyway. I think they made a law against it so it wouldn't happen routinely. Probably the media, strong opinions and politics got in the way making it a bigger issue than it really is. It is mostly "pure" snow at this point so dump away.

Another Noreaster is brewing for Saturday.

Bedwards Of The West
    Man, I wish I was sick of snow... I hear ya though Bedwards, I have actually been there (when it used to snow here, which it doesn't anymore).

Took the trail route for the post-storm clean-up commute this morning. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. Several big oak branches down across the trail, but only a couple of little trees. This is a switchback that had a new creek running through it, and a tree down. I was able to move everything major out of the trail with no tools, which I wasn't expecting. Slow going with all the stops though.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-12-10.58.12-am.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    If you think snow dumped from street cleanup is clean, go to your local snow dump this spring (even a little one at a grocery store) and see what is left behind. Report back on what you find.

mtbr member
    No ride home. But I did ride to the shop where the Pinerello truck was there doing demos. I spent most of the evening on a Dogma drooling. Not that I have a use for a bike like that, but it was awesome to ride something so top of the line.

Picked up a pair of safety glasses, hoping to cut down on the tears from the cold weather.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    Baby boy
    About 12 F with 22+ mph winds going against me on the way in. Slow. I was five minutes late to work. First time ever being late riding a bike and I didn't like it, but the ride was worth it. It was my relaxing time for the day, considering I only had five minutes to eat lunch. Ride home wasn't bad, but eating almost nothing between 6:30 am and 7:30 pm made the ride slower than it should've been.

I think we're supposed to get snow next Monday. So stoked!!!
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not as cold out as I had expected, held on to 12f for both the ride in and home.

I'm starting to really like this ugly corrugated plastic pannier, and becoming less sure of its advantages over a kitty- litter bucket.

weirdo
    I was wondering the same thing as Jeff- why not just dump it in the water? I see the complications now.

Spent a few hours this morning doing maintenance on my Toyota (hope CB doesn`t read that and come to the conclusion that a Toyota is something other than 100% maintenance free). Eventually I came to a point where I had to get into the engine bay up to my elbows, so I took off my sweatshirt to keep it clean. I never bothered to put it back on, just spent the last hour outside in a shirt and blue jeans. That sort of isn`t right for February.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    42* on the way in to work this morning. Had some steady winds @ about 14 mph on, with some stronger gusts. I know you're supposed to get stronger and all that, but when you haven't had your coffee yet, it sucks the motivation right out of you.

I spent most of yesterday playing phone tag with a transportation manager for Waste Management, only to be told that he couldn't solve my problem. It was the last straw, and I had to take to social media to get something done. Posted on their Facebook page, hopefully something good will come of it. Check it out and give it a like.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    If you think snow dumped from street cleanup is clean, go to your local snow dump this spring (even a little one at a grocery store) and see what is left behind. Report back on what you find.
    I said MOSTLY! I think it is good practice not to do it every storm. On the other hand, on an environmental impact scale over and above the normal street runoff, I'd put it at about a 2 out of 10. Running snow melters that burn fuel and create more waste & soot has got to be worse and more costly to everybody. IMHO, of course.

My commute was exhausting. But I rode on winter ride to work today.

weirdo
    I just noticed that my wife`s bulbs have started sprouting
    Name:  P2131873.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.8 KB
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A few degrees above freezing for the Winter-Bike-to-Work-Day Pancake Breakfast:

Two city councillors rode in to officially proclaim it wbtwd.

The problem with having an event like that inside is that you don't get to check out everyone else' bikes.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Name:  P2131873.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.8 KB
    Well... That's odd. I don't presume that'd be because things tend to be warmer and wetter than usual these days.

guy
    Stayed up late for no reason at all last night so I naturally overslept this morning. Drove most of the way to work before parking and riding. I had to at least ride a few miles because it's Winter Bike to Work day. I psyched myself out about the temperature, thinking it would be worse than it really was. Forecast was for 4F this morning so I wore an extra layer top and bottom and ended up being too warm. Live and Learn

mtbr member
    These have been poking up since January 30, a couple of weeks early. It was 9 F this morning but these are close to the house. Still, a bit early.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Rodar and CB, not looking good for snow. Mtbx, bedwards, etc., looking good for more snow:

Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Revenge of the Ridges

I've been enjoying commutting in the warmth of the west coast this year. I count only 9 rain rides since January 1...NINE! Last year I had 15 rain rides in January alone! No, you can keep your cold and your snow. I'm liking this winter.

mtbr member
    After months of trying, several phone calls, and unanswered emails, a freaking Facebook post got the job done. A very kind young woman got in touch with me today, and got herself into more than she realizes. She asked for more information, of which I have more than enough. Maps and routes, dates, times, locations, and truck numbers.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^A tenacious Texan for the greater good!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Isn't it odd though how well that social media crap works? The only way you coulda done it faster was to use a snarky hashtag. At least you got the ball rolling again.

mtbr member
    Way to go Texan!

Apparently the snow drops are up and coming today (maybe a couple of days):

Spring is on its way evidence to the contrary aside.

mtbr member
    Rode over to MUP and rode it end to end but the video was upside down. About a 15 mph wind to ride back against and the socks and booties and the Bar Mitts were not quite enough to last over an hour at 24 F. A lot warmer and drier than many here, though.

Bedwards Of The West

Spent a few hours this morning doing maintenance on my Toyota (hope CB doesn`t read that and come to the conclusion that a Toyota is something other than 100% maintenance free).
    Yes I am a Jeep guy, but our family wagon is a Sequoia. I only open the hood for oil changes. Awesome reliable vehicle.

...and I've been outside today chopping firewood in shorts and a t shirt... just in case it ever decides to get cold around here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pushing the 80s all week here in Vegas. Even by our standards this is a bit odd. Only supposed to be around 65F this time of the year. Good commutes all week. Just did four hours of yard work cause it appears Spring is here already. Usually don't tend to these annual yardly chores until mid-March.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ride in: 10F, sunny, and very windy. They forecasted them to be near 35mph but I think it fell short. I ended up stopping at the bike shop on the way in, not to warm up, but to cool down. I was dressed better than I ever have for any ride, ever. Bike lane was a mix of slush and car snot. Was able to park the bike inside since it is the weekend.
    Ride home: 0F, felt like -20F with a strong NW wind. I got home, and honestly, I felt underwhelmed. I might have psyched myself up and was let down. It was cold, but when I got home, the only thing remotely cold were my feet, and they were just starting to get cold. I actually rode the rest of the MUP near my complex to check out the conditions. Hands have never been warmer on a cold ride than today. They were drenched when I got to work, and very warm when I got home tonight. Sunday is forecasted for wind chills near -35F so I will probably test that out and ride in again.

I remember last year I think I set my minimum temperature to ride at 30F or something like that.

The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4020/6000

Moderator Moderator
    Woohoo TenSpeed, 0F rider rep!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You have certainly come a long way since last winter to be sure.

mtbr member
    Took the short route nice and easy this morning. I picked up a new commuter on Saturday. NOS 2013 Jamis Nova for a price that couldn't be passed up. Took it out for 56 hard miles yesterday, 35 or so in headwinds sustaining around 17, gusting up to 25. For the most part, it's a great bike. The downside is the entry level Tektro Lyra brakes are only marginally better than the Single Digit 7's I had on the Cannondale, and the crappy 8 speed Sora shifters have horrid ergonomics. But, they had to skimp where they could to hit a price point in entry level cross bikes. I've got a friend with 10 speed 105 that I'll be taking off his hands, and some BB7's will be going on sometime this week.

The mandatory new bike day pictures will be posted this afternoon once it gets light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No ride today. We are actually having somewhat of a snow storm. Drivers around here really suck in the snow. It's only about 15F, so the snow is not wet and is relatively easy to drive in. Most of the drivers I saw were actually going too slow.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Taking a break from the commute. This winter is really wearing on me, and the preparation and items that I need to take with me, I just need to take a small break. Will return very soon.

guy
    Passed on riding this morning. Was -5F this morning with a wind chill of -25ish. My boots are not good enough to keep my feet warm in that kind of temp. I got a pair of Lake MXZ303s for Xmas and I'm honestly not that impressed with them. I expected them to be warmer than they are. The shoes say they are "sub-zero rated", but that must be in Celsius because they are certainly not warm enough for subzero fahrenheit. Oh well, live and learn. I like them a lot for the 15-35 degree range. Next winter I will reluctantly give up the clipless pedals and go with flats and heavy winter boots.

I'd rather be on my bike
    What type of socks are you wearing with the Lakes? When I got my Defrosters, I was doing it all wrong. I am now using a thick Smartwool sock and it makes all the difference in the world, even at these ridiculous low temps were are having.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Strange weather, though. 40F at my house. A bit windy. Supposed to rain today.

Put the egg beaters back on for yesterday's ride. Glad to have them back. Kleebs, thanks for the info on the Lake's. I really want to get a pair of winter cycling boots, but have heard that even the 45Ns aren't as warm as they claim. Of course my problem isn't usually during the ride, it's the bus ride in between when too much insulation leads to sweat which leads to frozen toes and too little insulation just leads to frozen toes during the bus ride as the heat on the bus doesn't work so well when it is really cold out.

Good find this AM - A new can of bear spray. Odd time of year to find that, but a welcome find just the same. I needed a new can.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rode in today. low 20's to start and 4 to 5" of snow. it was coming down hard.

Surprise, surprise, another detour off the bike trail onto the streets. The bike lane wasn't plowed and had too many ice chunks in it to safely ride in. Had to ride in the middle of the street. Luckily, traffic wasn't bad because of the Holiday and the drivers were content to stay behind me.

I like my Lakes, wore them this morning. My problem with them is I ordered 48's and they fit my left foot perfectly it stays toasty warm. My right foot is a half size bigger 13.5 and the 48 shoe is too tight. The 50's too loose and Lake doesn't offer a 49 which would be perfect. If your shoes are snug, try wearing a thinner sock.

The Lakes are a good bit bigger than my non-winter MTB shoes and I get toe rub on the front wheel when making tight turns. I hate overlap.

Sorry to hear yours aren't warm enough.. If the Lakes aren't I'm not sure whose will be.

I also have a pair of Lake MX 145's I got in size 50 and wear them mostly for days where it starts out in the teens and 20's and warms up to the 60's by evening. I wear a pair of thicker socks on the way in to work and switch to a thinner pair for the ride home. My ride each way is 12 to 13 miles depending on the detour de jour.

The MXZ303s are way better in the wet. Like on those warmer afternoons when the snow has melted and is slushy as heck or has turned into puddles too big to ride around. My feet have stayed dry no mater how wet the shoes got. Gotta love that.

It's still snowing. It was supposed to have stopped before the morning commute, lol. Gonna be a fun ride home.

Resident Texican
    I have now joined the club of "Cyclists who have been hit by cars". Another student hit me right after I had turned onto campus from the main road. I was going straight on a road that circles the parking lots, and she turned left and hit me broadside. Luckily no fractures or breaks (which is the most important part), but parts of my bike are pretty well mangled. No more bike commuting until the insurance claim goes through. Also I'm just in pain all over the right side of my body.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

guy
    I think part of my problem is the sizing. My summer shoes are size 44, so that's what I initially ordered in the Lakes, but they proved way too small. Sent them back in exchange for a 46, and Nashbar sent me a 42 by mistake. Sent them back again for a true 46, and they fit, but they are still a bit snug. At this point, I just wanted shoes to wear so I have stuck with them, but I can't help think that maybe I need one size larger to allow better circulation. I've tried various weights of socks, and it hasn't helped.

I will say that the quality is outstanding and the waterproofness is excellent. I have not once had wet socks with the MXZ's.