Page 327 of 590 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 337 377 427 ... LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,175 of 14731
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    New to the thread but I need a place to vent.

On the way home from work tonight a car pulled into the bike lane right in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and flipped the driver off. A cop car came roaring up along side me and the officer proceeded to start yelling at me about being more respectful. Confused I attempted to ask if what the driver had done wasn't clearly illegal (failure to yield the right of way) but all the officer had to say was that "the world doesn't belong to me" and I should be "more respectful", then sped off. A few blocks up I spotted another cop car parked at the bank and decided to stop and ask him to clarify the rules for me. This officer was very elusive and refused to give me a straight answer after multiple questions. Frustrated I then began to ask him if officer weren't supposed to be driving with their laptops closed (the og officer had had his open) after an officer had ran down a pedestrian a while back. He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment. It was then that a guy walked up, bleeding and bandaged. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had just been hit while riding in the bike lane. :-0

Austin is a weird place and we need to start pushing for change.

Sorry to be a downer but stuff is becoming more and more common.
    Pulled up along side a bus at a red light. The bus was in the right lane but going straight. As I was turning right I moved a bit forward of the bus to see if it was clear to my left. As I did so the bus inched forward enough to block my view. Thinking it was a coincidence I moved forward again and the bus did as well! I looked through the door and could see the driver looking at me with a big grin on his face. I made a confused gesture and said what's the problem? He opened the door so I could hear him and he says "Oh, are you trying to turn?" At that point the light changed so I said something unpleasant under my breath and rode off. Have had other incidents with buses in Austin too.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Anyone see one of these in action yet? Wish they had a front camera too.

Hindsight 35

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Anyone see one of these in action yet? Wish they had a front camera too.

Hindsight 35
    I use a $7 bar end mirror to see what's behind me. I like the "black box" sort of recorder, but I think they could make it way cheaper if they lose the display and all the baggage that comes with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    bloody cold on exposed skin.
    pop the rear slick into a short skid over any ice patches to help break them up for the next rider.
    need a new balaclava.
    might get flat bars and maguras back on the casseroll for the winter. maybe...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I use a $7 bar end mirror to see what's behind me. I like the "black box" sort of recorder, but I think they could make it way cheaper if they lose the display and all the baggage that comes with it.
    Yep, I use a bar end mirror as well. Mainly looking to buy a dvr and a camera for up front and one in back. This is the closest thing I have seen on the market. I've played with hacking together some different parts, but I'd rather buy a complete solution.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Hate to break the bad commute cycle, but I had a great one this morning. The temps in Anchor-town were a balmy 0 and the ride was fast and felt great after the past few days of below zero temps sapping my energy. Got to work feeling awesome and ready for the day.
    Good- it was a cycle that needed to be broken! Balmy zero is up 12 from yesterday, isn`t it? That`s a pretty good bump.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I did roll over the 5000 commuted miles mark today and about 5500 miles total for the year so far.
    Whoooo!

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    bloody cold on exposed skin.
    pop the rear slick into a short skid over any ice patches to help break them up for the next rider.
    need a new balaclava.
    might get flat bars and maguras back on the casseroll for the winter. maybe...
    Hey, Byknuts. Nice to hear from you.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I like the "black box" sort of recorder, but I think they could make it way cheaper if they lose the display and all the baggage that comes with it.
    Besides cheaper: less clutter, less theft possibility. But then would that be the same thing as a GoPro, or does that Hindsight have additional capabilities?

EDIT: Ah, I see- five minute continuous loop. Looks good for accidents, when it`ll be tripped and save the important part, but if you wanted to use it for evidence or license plate ID in the middle of a ride longer than five minutes, I guess you need to flip your bike or turn it off after the first incedent.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Besides cheaper: less clutter, less theft possibility. But then would that be the same thing as a GoPro, or does that Hindsight have additional capabilities?

EDIT: Ah, I see- five minute continuous loop. Looks good for accidents, when it`ll be tripped and save the important part, but if you wanted to use it for evidence or license plate ID in the middle of a ride longer than five minutes, I guess you need to flip your bike or turn it off after the first incedent.
    It's far from perfect, but the only thing I've seen so far close to a bike black box. I really just want a dvr with battery pack that comes off easily and two wide angle lipstick cams that can be discretly mounted on the bike. GPS data logging and auto start/stop with a good hour or two recording loop. Seen anything like this on the market?

mtbr member
    I have two Drift Innovation Stealth Cameras. The old one with missing (broken) lens cover I am debating placing on the rear rack, aimed to the rear. The new lighter one is on the helmet. As shown in the accident video. A rude bus driver would have been recorded nicely.

The batteries are good for 2 hours at 25 fps & 720 P (can do 60 fps and 1080P). The memory is very large. I have had hours and hours on there before downloading them. The older model allowed a double battery pack.

No one knew to shut the camera off after the crash. It closed the file and shut itself off. That is a problem with a looping recorder. If you are hurt too bad and no one knows better the evidence will be lost. I am thinking of adapting my light batteries to drive the camera. Buying extra cells may be the better option. There is something to be said for redundant recorders.

BrianMc

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Good morning, Highdelll. I think you`re reading way too much into my offhand post, but in answer to your questions:
    About two thirds of the way through the paragraph.
    "He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment."
    I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like he was a bit miffed.
    Nope.
    I don`t care whose payroll they`re on.
    They were definitely both pissed. The first one because I didn't "respect his authority", because he was in the wrong. The second one because I started asking him about the laptop issue and that is a bit of a touchy subject since that officer ran down that pedestrian.

Honestly they need some fire under their ass. Out of the 5 states and dozen cities I have lived in I have never seen such an ineffective police force. And, as far as I can seen most of them are clearly anti-bike. Out of the 7 times I have been hit, and one time I was assaulted by the diver after being hit, none of the cops have even been remotely helpful. And I have actually learned that they have broken protocol in a few cases. Don't get me wrong, I hate CM too, but if you can't help a guy that is just trying to get home from work then what good are you.

I have actually been thinking about organizing a protest or something but with my temper and mentality can't see it going well.
    Pulled up along side a bus at a red light. The bus was in the right lane but going straight. As I was turning right I moved a bit forward of the bus to see if it was clear to my left. As I did so the bus inched forward enough to block my view. Thinking it was a coincidence I moved forward again and the bus did as well! I looked through the door and could see the driver looking at me with a big grin on his face. I made a confused gesture and said what's the problem? He opened the door so I could hear him and he says "Oh, are you trying to turn?" At that point the light changed so I said something unpleasant under my breath and rode off. Have had other incidents with buses in Austin too.
    Oh dude, some of the bus drivers are terrible. I constantly have issues with them buzzing me, or pulling into the bike lane RIGHT in front of me, or riding my ass (and even honking at me).

I actually got in a yelling match with a driver one morning. I was going straight through a light and for some reason the driver thought it was a good idea to pull up along side me, in the left lane, then try to take a right with me in the way. I hit my zound and he stopped but as I passed he threw open his little slider and let loose. Sometimes this city is unbelievable.

~Disc~Golf~

Oh dude, some of the bus drivers are terrible. I constantly have issues with them buzzing me, or pulling into the bike lane RIGHT in front of me, or riding my ass (and even honking at me).

I actually got in a yelling match with a driver one morning. I was going straight through a light and for some reason the driver thought it was a good idea to pull up along side me, in the left lane, then try to take a right with me in the way. I hit my zound and he stopped but as I passed he threw open his little slider and let loose. Sometimes this city is unbelievable.
    I think we have it pretty good here, as far as bus drivers go.

I commute carless - sometimes bike, sometimes bus, and a mix of both.

I have always been given a very wide berth while cycling.

And when riding the bus, I see drivers slow behind other cyclists (because of narrow shoulder - and double yellow/no-lane to move over) and wait as long as it takes to pass safely. And when they do, I'll often see them give a friendly wave.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I have never had issues with any city buses in places I've lived but school bus drivers are an entirely different ballgame. I have never encountered a more clueless bunch of hacks. And they entrust the lives of dozens of children to these people?

It's not like they have ever been intentional jerks to me on the road. I have never had them open their slider to yell at me but they pass like I'm not there, with those mirrors dangerously close. Passing on narrow roads in places they shouldn't, crowding me out of a narrow lane and pinching me into the grass when oncoming traffic forces them over before they completed the pass. I try to time my rides for when the school buses are off the road

weirdo
    Seen anything like this on the market?
    No, but I`m not very up on that kind of stuff, so don`t give up hope. With as many people running systems like BMc`s, you`d think somebody would optomize a product specifically for that. Maybe soon?

The second one because I started asking him about the laptop issue and that is a bit of a touchy subject since that officer ran down that pedestrian.
    I caught that. We had a cyclist run right over by a deputy in my neighborhood about two years ago. They`re definitely "touchy" about it, never released the official report of exactly who was where and what happened, which I`d really like to know since I ride that road frequently.

Although the cops around here haven`t been of much use for car V bike incedents, I`m glad that most of them aren`t over anxious to give me crap whether on the bike or off. Actually, they`ve cut me breaks on occasion when they could have cited me. Hope things go a different way and they chill out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have never had issues with any city buses in places I've lived but school bus drivers are an entirely different ballgame....

...I have never had them open their slider to yell at me but they pass like I'm not there, with those mirrors dangerously close. Passing on narrow roads in places they shouldn't, crowding me out of a narrow lane and pinching me into the grass when oncoming traffic forces them over before they completed the pass.
    That`s my biggest threat too, exactly the same issue! While getting stuck behind them when they load is irritating, I understand and can deal with it. But I dont get why they have such a thing for buzzing me at high speed. Really, they`re worse than lifted pickups, commercial trucks, sports cars and all the other usual suspects, and I can`t fathom why.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Last night I spotted this strange amber icicle while I cycled. Strange in color and also because there are no other icicles around. Sap sourced? The tree is quite dead though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-pc062531-640x480-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Last night riding home in the dark, I got buzzed 3 times and honked at twice riding along a straight bit of road with no shoulder I was over as far to the right as possible but I suppose it's just part of the game, still not very pleasant.

Commute this morning was wet. It had stopped actually raining but the spray off the road demonstrated very clearly that I could use some fenders. Anybody got any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yep, I use a bar end mirror as well. Mainly looking to buy a dvr and a camera for up front and one in back. This is the closest thing I have seen on the market. I've played with hacking together some different parts, but I'd rather buy a complete solution.
    You could probably get your hands on a used GoPro or similar device cheaper.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    Last night riding home in the dark, I got buzzed 3 times and honked at twice riding along a straight bit of road with no shoulder I was over as far to the right as possible but I suppose it's just part of the game, still not very pleasant.

Commute this morning was wet. It had stopped actually raining but the spray off the road demonstrated very clearly that I could use some fenders. Anybody got any recommendations?
    Planet bike Cascadia are are working fine on both my cross bike and 26" commuter.

I took a road bike this morning. Fast! Probably one of the last times it comes out to play this year. I hate toe covers.

mtbr member
    ....Although the cops around here haven`t been of much use for car V bike incedents, I`m glad that most of them aren`t over anxious to give me crap whether on the bike or off. Actually, they`ve cut me breaks on occasion when they could have cited me...

That`s my biggest threat too, exactly the same issue! ,,, But I dont get why they have such a thing for buzzing me at high speed. Really, they`re worse than lifted pickups, commercial trucks, sports cars and all the other usual suspects, and I can`t fathom why.
    Yeah the cops have done rolling stops at the same time I did on the bike. No talk, no ticket.

I time it to avoid then if I can. The passing on the blind hill and stopping to do a long off load 3/4 of the way up was a pisser. So I gave the driver a piece of my mind. He suggested I file a complaint. I did not, and we seem to have an understanding. Though I haven't put him in the same situation since. Posted the incident here some time go.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Last night I spotted this strange amber icicle while I cycled. Strange in color and also because there are no other icicles around. Sap sourced? The tree is quite dead though.
    Ooh that's cool. How long has the tree been dead? they will hold a lot of moisture and slowly drain it if they're sitting at an angle like that.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Ooh that's cool. How long has the tree been dead? they will hold a lot of moisture and slowly drain it if they're sitting at an angle like that.
    I don't know, I was just judging by the appearance, but your explanation must be right.

Short-Change-Hero
    So have only ridden once this week so far (and hating myself for it since my commute is so much shorter now)... So the ride in the morning was nice, warm enough at 35* to wear my merino wool base layers under my jersey and shorts and then just double up my gloves. However, got almost "merged" into twice. Once was while I was headed to work and coming up on my normal open "yield" turn. I had just gotten through a light within traffic and doing about 25mph when a white van suddenly appears next to me in the bike lane, to the point where I had to put my hand on the window to keep myself from over correcting. Of course the driver was completely oblivious until I yelled at her. The other time the person was coming off the off-ramp right by my office and inadvertently went into the bike lane with the nose of her car. She saw me coming and tried to put it in reverse but someone had pulled up behind me and she mouthed "Sorry!!!" as I rode by. First nice encounter I have had in a while.

So it ended up raining all day off and on, and when I left work it was sprinkling a bit but the roads were pretty wet. I did alright on the way home but going along my normal route I hit a good street that was well light with Christmas Lights. While enjoying the lights down the street I could see red and blue flashing at the very end, and thought "That's cool someone put up one of those Santa cop cars." Well not so much, as I got to the end of the street I found out that it was actually a Santa SWAT truck and the street was blocked off. Apparently a homeowner called the COPS and said that he had buried dynamite in his walls and for them to "come find it."... so it made for an interesting ride home.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

I'd bet the color is due to tannins from the wood with its apparent age. I doubt there's any sap left. It looks like it's been there awhile, so the wood will be partially rotten, and spongy that it absorbs a lot of water, that will leach tannins. It probably got below freezing slowly, so moisture draining out of it picked up the tannins and didn't freeze until it dripped out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Taste it?

Is it all natural and organic?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have never had issues with any city buses in places I've lived but school bus drivers are an entirely different ballgame. I have never encountered a more clueless bunch of hacks. And they entrust the lives of dozens of children to these people?

It's not like they have ever been intentional jerks to me on the road. I have never had them open their slider to yell at me but they pass like I'm not there, with those mirrors dangerously close. Passing on narrow roads in places they shouldn't, crowding me out of a narrow lane and pinching me into the grass when oncoming traffic forces them over before they completed the pass. I try to time my rides for when the school buses are off the road
    Geez around here the city transit buses get pretty aggresive, and are know to leave very little room when passing a bike.

mtbr member
    Close one, Greg! Slapping at the door/kicking it works I m told.

12 stitches out today. 75% of the scabs off. New helmet, tires , pedals here tomorrow, or Monday. Bill on helmet to keep forehead off pavement if there is a next time? And Yellow. Figure it will help me be seen at 7' in the air when on the tops. Shimano 2-way pedals as the Wellgos don't seem to wear well in the clicking in and out department.

The shoulder and left hand need work.

BrianMc