Page 326 of 592 FirstFirst ... 226 276 316 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 336 376 426 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 14788
    weirdo
    Good luck, Nate! Don`t forget to polish your Sidis.

It`s a bit humid here, but kinda nice. Warm, a little overcast, slight breeze, and still smells like rain. I got in some extra milleage today and enjoyed it. Took the mid-long way home this morning to hit the convenience store, rode to my SIL`s house for dinner (basically across the road from work), then home to make my sandwiches, and turned around to retrace the same route for a third time and clock in.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Any warmer and I'd be a little sweaty when I got to work, especially once I hit the heated underground parking. Much colder and I'd add a layer of fleece and would soaking wet. But -15C is just right.
    That`s got to be somewhere around zero F- if you like it that way, great
    I can dig the issue with the heated parking garage. When anything wet is likely to fall from the sky, I bring my bike inside and park in the plant boiler room. For the minute or so that it takes me to put on or take off my gear, I`m roasting and can`t wait to get through the door!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Maybe a magnetic cowcatcher type device or mini streetsweeper out front.
    Might work good for tripping traffic lights too!

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    New to the thread but I need a place to vent.
    Not so sure pissing the cops off is a good idea, but vent away if it makes you feel better.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So what do you think would help avoid a similar accident in the future?
    I have been thinking it over. Your wording made my mind follow strange paths:

One permanent solution is suicide,.

Maybe one of these:

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_c...part_image.jpg

Both seem a bit extreme as in 50 years of cycling I have never seen this happen. And the pooled group here isn't saying they have had close calls with front tire sudden deflation by road debris. So the chances of this occurring again seem slim. Now having said that the next time I ride,,,,

Done with the fun.

Normally when a spill from the rear is imminent I have time for the adrenalin to hit, and time stretches and I tuck and roll. I got no tuck and roll just slide out and face plant and more slide. Like I laid it down on purpose. I remember the flash of the impending impact as too fast to do anything so I did not black out, before the strike.

At 25 frames per second I count about that from the first wobble to face plant. About 0.2 sec from first wobble to definitely going down, likely less than half of that as it is hard to say where the fall began. I did not even unclip.

Accident - YouTube

The titanium frame eyeglasses saved my eyeball. The titanium bent but did not break and stab my eye, The ultra thin lenses remained intact. Sandpapered and gouged, but intact, Somehow the anti scratch coating just wasn't up to sliding down a road. Imagine that! Maybe I should complain! So no shredding. no splinters, no eye stab.

If I had been wearing contacts and a plastic eye protection device (too dark for sunglasses), I think I'd have been much worse off. Maybe lost an eye.

No glasses at all? Worse off. No gravel in my eye. No sanding off the cornea.

If I could remember to tuck my chin, then the helmet would take it all. It is hard to give up looking where you are going. You ain't never seen the kind of wreck you're fixin' to have!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Maybe a magnetic cowcatcher type device or mini streetsweeper out front. Not too strong with the electromagnet though, or he'll be pulling up manhole covers.
    Or stuck at railway tracks. Wouldn't have to worry about flat tires ever again when the train comes!

Perhaps something to do with the glasses may help to reduce the injuries.
    Ultra light unbreakable lenses saved my eye. Titanium frames saved my eye. Turning my head left or down would have saved a lot of damage. Remembering to do it and in time is worth a shot. One guy in the choir tonight asked was I wearing a helmet. "Yes," I said, "but it doesn't cover my face and it did save my forehead above the abrasion and my scalp and it has the cracks to show for it." I might have showed him my leg injuries and I can see him ask,. "Were you wearing a helmet? Jeez.

New to the thread but I need a place to vent.

On the way home from work tonight a car pulled into the bike lane right in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and flipped the driver off. ... It was then that a guy walked up, bleeding and bandaged. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had just been hit while riding in the bike lane. :-0

Austin is a weird place and we need to start pushing for change.

Sorry to be a downer but stuff is becoming more and more common.
    I think the 'bird' is free speech under the circumstances. Another Texan called Chip Seal (check his blog for past interactions) carries a copy of Texas laws pertaining to bicycles because the cops in his town wanted them to be whatever they wanted them to be. Might be a good idea to memorize them. too. Just because the cops are ignorant of the law is no excuse for us to be. Hard for them to protect and serve if they don't know who has suffered a violation of the law, isn't it?

The video camera would have been very handy. The TV news that night would be interesting. Saves all the messing around with complaint filing.

BrianMc

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

Not so sure pissing the cops off is a good idea, but vent away if it makes you feel better.
    where did he indicate ANYTHING that should piss off a cop.?

are we supposed to cower to their 'above the law' attitude?
    are we to forget that they are on OUR payroll?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

weirdo
    Good morning, Highdelll. I think you`re reading way too much into my offhand post, but in answer to your questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    where did he indicate ANYTHING that should piss off a cop.?
    About two thirds of the way through the paragraph.
    "He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment."
    I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like he was a bit miffed.
    are we supposed to cower to their 'above the law' attitude?
    Nope.
    are we to forget that they are on OUR payroll?
    I don`t care whose payroll they`re on.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Brian is that actual footage of you, or a similar incident?

Here's a couple pics that give you an idea of the rain we had earlier this week. It's raining again today, but the river is back down and no flooding in the forecast. This is a creek I ride by every day... I didn't take the top pic (lifted it off local news site), but I did take the bottom one on the way home Monday. Normally I would say that the Monday pic is "very high" for that creek. I now have a new definition of "very high"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-goldruncreek.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Wow Brian, double glad to know you are OK after seeing the footage. You went from moving to stopped in zero time. The emergency responders got there in a hurry.

I got to take one of the fast bikes today instead of the studded tank so I felt like a rocket. This morning was a warm rain and the temps are supposed to drop from the high 40s to the low 30s

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I'm scared to watch.

Glad you didn't float away, CB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Black ice covered by 1cm of now - yikes
    studded tires going on tonight

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    On the way home from work tonight a car pulled into the bike lane right in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and flipped the driver off. A cop car came roaring up along side me and the officer proceeded to start yelling at me about being more respectful. Confused I attempted to ask if what the driver had done wasn't clearly illegal (failure to yield the right of way) but all the officer had to say was that "the world doesn't belong to me" and I should be "more respectful", then sped off. A few blocks up I spotted another cop car parked at the bank and decided to stop and ask him to clarify the rules for me. This officer was very elusive and refused to give me a straight answer after multiple questions. Frustrated I then began to ask him if officer weren't supposed to be driving with their laptops closed (the og officer had had his open) after an officer had ran down a pedestrian a while back. He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment. It was then that a guy walked up, bleeding and bandaged. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had just been hit while riding in the bike lane. :-0
    That's sort like what happened to me a few months back, only I was riding down my neighborhood street and the on-coming off-duty cop swerved into my lane to get around some parked cars. I argued with him for about 15 minutes (not my choice). He sounds like he had the same kind of attitude as the guy you encountered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Brian is that actual footage of you, or a similar incident?
    You get to see my nose, part of the left cheek, and a bit more in the mirror, Mostly it's the camera's POV. I'm sort of the host.

Here's a couple pics that give you an idea of the rain we had earlier this week. .... I now have a new definition of "very high"
    OMG is when it gets to the first branch on the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Wow Brian, double glad to know you are OK after seeing the footage. You went from moving to stopped in zero time. The emergency responders got there in a hurry.
    Lees than one second. I can't tell if I am pedaling or trying to retain balance when i sawy back and forth. If pedaling it was done and over in a half second. I knew the ground hit me but did not know why.Tucking the head might need to be a trained response, as there was only time for "What, Oh crap!".

The police often use that road from both the city and the Sheriff's department. There is a city park and other facilities to patrol. So when the cll came in, it was a near record response time. I did not cut any footage within the segment. They began to ask personal identifiable information so I stopped it there.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I got to take one of the fast bikes today instead of the studded tank so I felt like a rocket. This morning was a warm rain and the temps are supposed to drop from the high 40s to the low 30s
    I love the change from the 50+ pound full panniered errand bike to The Duchess as well. Aaah!

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    That's sort like what happened to me a few months back, only I was riding down my neighborhood street and the on-coming off-duty cop swerved into my lane to get around some parked cars. I argued with him for about 15 minutes (not my choice). He sounds like he had the same kind of attitude as the guy you encountered.
    Bicycles make us sort of second class in some people's eyes. Some officers are in the job partly to dominate others. It can be worse for riders that fit some groups. I don't know how much they get used to the deference their cruisers give and whether they tend to take that off duty with them. There will be bad apples in any barrel. If you carry a phone with movie capability remember to haul it out. It will either result in a more civil behavior or allow you to call 911 easily.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Cold, cold, cold in Anchorage. -12 at my house this AM. Doesn't look to be any warmer for the ride home. It's too early for this kind of cold!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey BrianMc

quite the youtube clip....

I guess just after the crash that is you breathing as the camera rises and falls????

Good old biker lungs and heart...

Then the wait starts....all I could think off was lying there on the ground for maybe 30 to 45 mins on one of my long commutes home.....not a happy thought.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Yup

Two beat cops were walking towards me (I was also walking)....on a large sidewalk that goes under some railway tracks...very busy downtown at lunch hour...

This guy on a bike riding slowly and safely passes the cops...one cop tells him to get off and walk, so the guy does...

The guy then points up to a sign that says bikers have to yield to pedestrians....(implies you can ride a bike there (which you can according to the bike path maps)....anyway cop does n't care now....

Just needs to be in control.....hopefully next time he will know better.

I Ride for Donuts
    2 minute response time is pretty incredible. I was surprised to not see anyone else come over and check on you though?? Maybe they did and just weren't in front of the camera? Someone called it in, but I would think most folks would also check on the victim and see if there was anything they could do... My first reaction on seeing that would be to go to the victim...THEN I'd think "oh yeah, call 911" or tell someone else to do it while I at least talked to the guy on the ground.

mtbr member
    Hey BrianMc quite the youtube clip.... I guess just after the crash that is you breathing as the camera rises and falls????
    Reality video the hard way.

No seismic activity or large animals under the road bed so with my right arm under me (almost got it in place) my lungs are saying "Not dead yet!"

Good old biker lungs and heart...
    What!? No honorable mention for the biker's hard head? And the brilliant display of a helmet saving substantial scalp and upper forehead.

Then the wait starts....all I could think off was lying there on the ground for maybe 30 to 45 mins on one of my long commutes home.....not a happy thought.
    I do not know how to adjust audio of my videos on the Mac.I likely need some software. If you turn the volume up you hear assistance right away,

I started to roll over to get up and was told to be still, not to move my heed or touch it. I wasn't firing on all cylinders. They asked me if I knew where I was when on the ground and I remember not knowing what was meant by that. Here, obviously! In the ambulance, asked again, I knew I was in the ambulance. So things were coming back on line.

Point is I would have gotten back on the bike blood pouring down my face, or if it was too much pulled out my own cell to call 911. A bit after the clip, my alarm for my 5:00 PM meds went off. Not home in time. End of that round of treatment.Was home after 10.

2 minute response time is pretty incredible. I was surprised to not see anyone else come over and check on you though?? Maybe they did and just weren't in front of the camera? Someone called it in, but I would think most folks would also check on the victim and see if there was anything they could do...
    The car at the intersection that saw my face first slide for home came to the rescue.

My first reaction on seeing that would be to go to the victim...THEN I'd think "oh yeah, call 911" or tell someone else to do it while I at least talked to the guy on the ground.
    Turn up the volume and you will hear the people remark that I am breathing, caution not to touch me and they call it in. You may need to press the ears to the speaker.

No need to repeat. Or copycat.

BrianMc

gnarly stuff, Brian. I wonder if I am hearing the tire blow or if it's some other impact right before you went down.

one "nice" thing about riding in TX is that with the summers as hot and long as they are, most road debris gets embedded into the asphalt after enough cars and trucks run over it. I occasionally catch myself looking at the embedded debris when I stop at a stoplight. All manner of bolts and scraps of steel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    gnarly stuff, Brian. I wonder if I am hearing the tire blow or if it's some other impact right before you went down..
    Good catch. On the right surface the front fender can rattle, but this sound is different. The fender clearance is tight with 32's and there is an under crown mounting bolt for a center of tire embedded thing to hit. So it went round maybe twice, rattled in there and came out and there you are: flat tire.

BrianMc

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Good morning, Highdelll. I think you`re reading way too much into my offhand post - Maybe so

I don`t care whose payroll they`re on.
    Really though?

That strikes me as odd.
    You don't care that you pay them to work for you?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got buzzed by a guy today only to pass him 3 seconds later while he was waiting to turn left. Wanted to take out his mirror, but I refrained. I'm usually not the violent type anyways. Oddly today was one of the few days I had my blinky taillight.

Moderator Moderator
    Just before I left home this morning I remembered that my front BB7 disc brake was making an annoying squeakety squeak, not when applied, but just rolling. Its usually a mistake to start mechanical work when you are heading out the door, and this was no exception. After fussing with the adjusters the rotor was still rubbing so next I removed and reinstalled the pads. One arm was bent somehow but otherwise they seemed O.K. This did eventually get rid of the noise, though they will need some more adjustment to get the right feel, hopefully without reintroducing the squeak. So the ride itself was a bit rushed, and the snow required some caution on the dirt road where cars had packed it down, but I made it on time.

weirdo
    That puts me fourth in line for a report of bad commute. I slipped on black ice in the supermarket parking lot. Shouldn`t have been a big deal- walking speed, the bike went out from under me and I went down on one knee. I got up, picked the bike up, and started riding again. Then a few seconds later I noticed a pool of light next to my front wheel. WTF? Leaned forward and peeked at my headlight... the mount had snapped off and it was just dangling by thte wires GRRR! Hopefully I`ll be able to fix it by wrapping some kind of sheet metal strap around it.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    #5 here... woke up insanely late and had the debate about whether or not I should drive... if course I rode (come on ) ...arrived maybe 20 minutes later than normal. Not a huge deal since I get here early, and rather impressive since I overslept by almost an hour. But no fun. It was weirdly foggy this morning...soaking wet ground from all that rain, and colder temps.

mtbr member
    Hate to break the bad commute cycle, but I had a great one this morning. The temps in Anchor-town were a balmy 0 and the ride was fast and felt great after the past few days of below zero temps sapping my energy. Got to work feeling awesome and ready for the day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had a perfectly decent commute this morning, uneventful ride, air temp was about 35F with a slight breeze.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I have nothing bad to report either unless you count that there is no hot water at work. Since a most of you don't have showers I'm not sure I'll get much sympathy.

I did roll over the 5000 commuted miles mark today and about 5500 miles total for the year so far.