Page 326 of 429 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426 ... LastLast
Results 16,251 to 16,300 of 21416
    weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I hear ya. Buckle up, Rodar! Another non-winter rain storm is coming!
    Buckled up. This morning was dry, 47*, cloudy and breezy. Now it`s dry, about the same temp, overcast, and windy. Wet, please.

PSA for you, CB:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshBT5Ua4uo
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How was your commute today?-img_1713.jpg

Finally back on the bike after some procrastination and maintenance issues. Everything is back in working order, so it was just fine.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Nice pics of the cats and dogs. Have trail cams got that much better in the last few years, or is this due to the photographer's skills?
    Trail cameras have gotten exponentially better in the last few years, and perhaps even more affordable. I know the ones at the university that we use for wildlife classes are pretty sweet and the professor says that they aren't very expensive. They also hold thousands of pictures on a micro-sd card, which is considerably easier than film.

I'm going to guess that they are getting better because of higher demand by hunters, researchers, and amateur naturalists. I know I've been caught on some farmer's trail cams next to their hunting stand while trespassing in some woods a few times.

Woke up late today, no bike commute. I'm a failure, or just exhausted.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    KentheKona, that's really cool.

After all the snow yesterday I figured the mups were a no-go, so I took my all-road route which was in great shape. Minimal idiocy, but I do have to wonder why snow means that everyone can ignore 4-way stops? At two different spots I saw streams of cars one-after-another just blowing through stopsigns.

And now I feel bad, because as I was leaving my building the car infront of me got stuck on the ramp. I was 3' behind her, so I hopped off my bike and was going to push, but she said she was just going to backup and try again. And that meant I had to quickly grab my bike to get it out of the way. So I grabbed it, hauled it to the top of the ramp to get it out of the way, and I left. I definitely wasn't thinking, and I have no idea if she made it.

Big fatbike race here tomorrow. For the race a few weeks ago they had beautiful hardpack and temperatures around freezing. Tomorrow will have 8" of fresh snow and temps closer to 0F. Should be interesting.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Buckled up. This morning was dry, 47*, cloudy and breezy. Now it`s dry, about the same temp, overcast, and windy. Wet, please.
    That non-winter rain storm has been here in Seattle for a couple of days. Windy and pouring rain. Standing water in places where water has no business standing. Supposed to rain through the weekend than high pressure is going to build in. Ski areas around here are desperate for snow. Enjoy the storm rodar and CB.

guy
    Good ride in here as well. 17F with 15mph sustained winds made for a feels like temp of 0F. Roads in general were good but the shoulders and bike lanes had various amounts of ice, snow, and car snot. Got a great up close view of a hawk eating a mouse for breakfast in the park. Should have gotten the phone out for a picture but I was running late.

Moderator Moderator
    -20F and the furnace died, so I took the car in case by some miracle the repair guy called me back. He didn't, but I caught him when I came home at 1:30 to turn on the gas "woodstove". So I took 4 hours off and am still waiting for him now @ 4:30. On th plus side we are still warm and the dog is baking in front of the "fire".

weirdo
    20 below and a dead furnace
    Good thing it isn`t your only heat source! Sure hope you don`t burst any plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    KentheKona, that's really cool.
    Yeah, neat-o! Is that in Rochester?

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Enjoy the storm rodar and CB.
    Thanks, Woodway. We did get a lot of wind Thursday (several accidents caused by dust-outs), then rain pretty much all day Fri. I don`t know how much good it did for our water suply, but it saved me from watering my trees by bucket again
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Once again I was berated by someone on my way home. I had taken the lane at a four way stop in a residential area when he came flying around to my left in the oncoming lane, and stopped at the stop sign just 6 inches to my left.

I yelled "Yo, what are you doing?!", to which he rolled down his window and asked what the **** my problem is. I responded asking if he was drunk or something, which he mumbled at, yelled for me to get the **** off the road, and turned his vehicle toward me as he sped away.

I snagged his plate number and called it in thinking he may have actually been drunk, but was told "We'll have someone drive by and see what we can do" once they found out I wasn't in a vehicle.

This shit is getting out of hand.

I think the thing that gets to me the most is that I bend over backwards and go out of my way to make myself visible after being hit in November. I'm looking to take away the ability for a driver to say "I didn't see him", and it come down to me. I wear a hi-viz reflective vest, and then a smaller one draped around my backpack. Lights are always on. It's just a slap in the face, ya know?

I'd rather be on my bike
    There are always gonna be the d-bags that think that cyclists belong on the sidewalk. That will never change unfortunately for us. They will buzz us, harass us, yell at us, cut us off, no matter how many lights or high viz vests you wear. They simply do not like us being on the road.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4035/6000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    There are always gonna be the d-bags that think that cyclists belong on the sidewalk. That will never change unfortunately for us. They will buzz us, harass us, yell at us, cut us off, no matter how many lights or high viz vests you wear. They simply do not like us being on the road.
    ^^^this
    Here I classify them a Redneckicus Douchebagicus or Teenageicus Dipshiticus and they are the predominant species on the road, although there is the Soccermomicus Rex which is deadly if encountered during school hours.

My commutes have been better than I deserve, I mean nearly 60F for the afternoon commute and barely under freezing in the AM? In February? I'm not going to complain.

mtbr member
    I'm aware that I can't change the attitudes of everyone, but it remains just as frustrating. Sure, I could write it off as someone just being an a-hole, but after being hit in November, the current back and forth with the insurance company trying to refuse to accept liability, and the measures I take to make sure such an incident doesn't occur again, it's a slap in the face.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ You seem to get far more than you fair share of that crap. The only thing I ever get is a shout to get off the road or get called something along the lines of f*ggot because macho ******** is the way to go.

I think you should ride with a pistol on your hip. Or something... Wouldn't normally say that but you seem to have a situation that is out of the norm.

mtbr member
    There's a reason Florida is rated as the worst state to ride in.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Bedwards Of The West
    We did get a lot of wind Thursday (several accidents caused by dust-outs), then rain pretty much all day Fri.
    We had 70+mph gusts on Friday morning. I had Friday off...would have been an epic commute. Stole these from friend's Facebook pages... we just got internet back, lots of folks are still without power. Power was out at my place for 24 hours.

On my route there is one barn blown down, that tree leaning against the wires is on my route... most road signs are probably in Reno by now. So many trees down, it's crazy. Cleanup will be a while. Good thing it doesn't snow here anymore

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-07-10.26.15-pm.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-07-10.25.55-pm.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-07-10.25.42-pm.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Once again I was berated by someone on my way home. I had taken the lane at a four way stop in a residential area when he came flying around to my left in the oncoming lane, and stopped at the stop sign just 6 inches to my left.
    You should have asked if he was drunk. It attacks behavior and not the person, so seems to have a better outcome more often.

He violated two Florida driving laws but reporting him as a possible drunk driver is good. He was driving like one.

Like you, I am the opposite of camouflaged and am visible for over a quarter of a mile.

I have something similar happen and was too flabbergasted to do anything but avoid plowing into the rear bumper that barely cleared me, as he cut me off and slammed to a stop at the stop sign. I am prepared now. I will borrow the neighbor's lawn if I get the squeeze again. I wonder how they will respond to my slapping a fender? Hopefully I will never find out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, neat-o! Is that in Rochester?
    Sure is.

Texan-n-Fla,

Dude, sorry to hear about the flak you get on the streets. Sounds like a lot of *******s on your rides. I hope the attitudes change, because it does sound like people that just dislike cyclists and pedestrians.

mtbr member
    It's such a strange thing. We have tons of bike lanes, plenty of share the road signs, and city and county master plans promoting the hell out of non car transport; but we have the highest rate of injury and death for cyclists, and a disdain from motorists that can't be matched. A simple Google search turned up page after page of bad cycling reports in Florida. I can only hope that Austin has its crap together.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    CB and rodar - wow those are some pics. Glad you came through OK. One more good shot of rain coming through here before high pressure builds in. Looking at the satellite thingy, looks like you may get another shot of moisture out of this one too.

Bedwards Of The West
    It is D U M P I N G rain where I'm at now... not sure about Rodar over in Reno. We desperately need the moisture, but it would be much better if it was in the form of snowpack... Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, and then start clearing up. That was some crazy wind though.

No one calls me Maurice.

I yelled "Yo, what are you doing?!", to which he rolled down his window and asked what the **** my problem is. I responded asking if he was drunk or something, which he mumbled at, yelled for me to get the **** off the road, and turned his vehicle toward me as he sped away.

I snagged his plate number and called it in thinking he may have actually been drunk, but was told "We'll have someone drive by and see what we can do" once they found out I wasn't in a vehicle.

I think the thing that gets to me the most is that I bend over backwards and go out of my way to make myself visible after being hit in November. I'm looking to take away the ability for a driver to say "I didn't see him", and it come down to me. I wear a hi-viz reflective vest, and then a smaller one draped around my backpack. Lights are always on. It's just a slap in the face, ya know?
    I think taking license plate numbers and filing police reports is a good first step. I'd consider pepper spray or something with more punch. I've been stopped by cars three times in 30 years and only empty handed once. It was some scary crap.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Who said I was empty handed?

Moderator Moderator
    Whoa, those storm pix are severe! Be safe in the aftermath.

The snowstorms here are blending into one another, and off-road/ungroomed travel is difficult even on snowshoes. Tried to pack some new trails today and it was tough work. Only the dog's head remained above the snow as he tried to help. Another 8-12" through tomorrow night.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute yesterday or today for me. Temperatures hovering in the low 30's for a high, with a rain/sleet/snow mix and slippery roads seal the deal on that. It isn't worth an injury that could put me off the bike for the rest of the year just to ride one day. Haven't had a chance to test out the fat bike fenders yet.

mtbr member

Just to play devil's advocate here: If you didn't initiate by yelling at the driver, would he have responded as he did? It is possible that he though, when he pulled up to the stop sign that he was following the rules of the road - most drivers don't know how to interact with cyclists who follow the rules of the road and act as any other user by taking the lane, etc.

I'm just always interested in the concept of pre-mediation and how our perceptions and expectations shape our interactions with the world. Then again, some drivers are just a-holes.

My ride in was decent, I guess, after Friday and Saturday with no riding and a short ride on Sunday due to the wind. The top wind gust recorded in the Valley was 76MPH. Saturday the straightline winds were 44-48MPH. Good times. Even this AM, the winds were still kicking up in the mid-teens from the north. Resulted in quickly freezing skin when I removed the gloves to put my puffy on while waiting for the bus. Good times.

guy
    Was windy here as well this morning, though nothing compared to the reports from others on this site. The ride in was pretty uneventful for the most part. Got buzzed on the bridge into downtown, and I'm pretty sure it was the same black Kia that I had an issue with a few months ago in that same spot. Not sure what the deal is with some people.

Texan's posts make me really appreciate the culture around here. Sure we have potholes that can swallow small cars and the sky is grey for 8 months every year, but I rarely have someone so much as honk at me when I'm on my bike. Stay safe out there everyone.

Bedwards Of The West
    I haven't had to deal with that much hostility either...some, but not on that level. Ignorant redneck stuff around here, not outright hatred. I have one or two stop sign situations that bring up similar pass-at-the-last-minute-while-I'm-trying-to-take-the-lane-for-my-own-safety situations. Most drivers seem to think the best thing to do is pass you at the last minute and get angry that you're drifting out into the lane. Letting you go first since you have the right of way is out of the question. So strange. Sorry you're dealing with it, Tex... And sorry to divert the conversation with my storm stories...I was just so excited to have internet again I had to share

A little aftermath this morning, but not too bad on the route I took. Some bike path debris, and something we haven't seen in NorCal in too long... river is almost at flood stage. Wish it was snowpack, but we'll take it!

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-09-8.13.04-am.jpg

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-09-9.42.56-am.jpg

guy
    ... river is almost at flood stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 8.13.04 AM.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	962811
    Wait...that's almost flood stage?

Bedwards Of The West
    Flood Stage is when it gets past the bench

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That looks like when hurricane Irene came rolling through NJ. The Delaware flooded downtown Trenton, and the canal towpath that I commuted on at that point was under 5-6 feet of water. I think it took 6 or 7 months for them to repair the whole thing?

I had a head shaking moment yesterday with a driver as well. Rolling up to a stoplight about 500 feet away, a guy blasted past the car behind me (who was slowing down for the red light), went into the wrong lane, and screeched to a stop at the light.

NDD
    Baby boy
    After some fifteen hours of work, school, work, and data analysis, I accepted a ride home since my brother was leaving the university around the same time.

Ride this morning was cool and misty. Nice stop at the grocery store on the way in. I'm pooped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's such a strange thing. We have tons of bike lanes, plenty of share the road signs, and city and county master plans promoting the hell out of non car transport; but we have the highest rate of injury and death for cyclists, and a disdain from motorists that can't be matched. A simple Google search turned up page after page of bad cycling reports in Florida. I can only hope that Austin has its crap together.
    I'd hate to stereotype Florida, BUT I have to imagine there's a lot of truck driving hillbillys (or are they swamp billys in Florida?) that get enraged by your commie unamerican mode of transportation. It's people like us that don't drive that killed Earnhardt. NEVA4GET #3

weirdo
    Letting you go first since you have the right of way is out of the question. So strange.
    And then of course there are those drivers who REFUSE to go in front of you even though they do have the right of way. So strange.
    Those guys irritate me much more often than the a-holes, but I try to keep even my silent complaints against them to a minimum since I know it`s way better than what less fortunate pedalers have to deal with on a regular basis.

Yeah, we got a real soaking here too, much welcomed. Not as much wind damage as CB`s pics, though.

Brace up for the next round, Nor-Easters.
    Recalculating....

Resident Texican
    To continue the comments on drivers doing idiotic things, a few weeks ago I was riding home and turning right with a green light. I pulled out into the lane so that I could take the turn at speed, and just as I got to the intersection a large truck screeched around me in the non-turn lane and almost spun out as he slammed on the gas pedal after the turn. All I could do was show my emotions with the one finger salute as he sped off.

I actually caught up to him at the next light, but he was over in the left turn lane (I was going straight) and I didn't want to weave through traffic to tell him off.

My commutes for the last two days have been quite pleasant, though, as we are finally having some nice weather here in San Antonio. Today I set a new PR with an average speed of 18.9mph on the way to campus. That speed of course doesn't include time spent not moving at stop lights.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Temps are mid-teens and the wind has pretty much died down to a breeze. The afternoons are getting lighter and sunrise usually comes right around my first coffee break rather than around lunch. A sure sign that spring is on its way. I just hope we actually get some snow before winter is over.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Looks like we are getting a break in the weather so I will be riding in today and tomorrow. The roads here are for the most part dry, the bike lanes are still messy, and I am unsure of the condition of the MUP.

guy
    Commutes the last two day have been nice. The streets have been cleared up thanks to the thaw over the weekend so I have been taking the commuter which is a welcome change from the fat bike. As fun as the fatty can be, it is just an energy suck on a commute. Still beats driving though - at least my energy is renewable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    To continue the comments on drivers doing idiotic things, a few weeks ago I was riding home and turning right with a green light. I pulled out into the lane so that I could take the turn at speed, and just as I got to the intersection a large truck screeched around me in the non-turn lane and almost spun out as he slammed on the gas pedal after the turn. All I could do was show my emotions with the one finger salute as he sped off.
    Not new. I gave a guy the 'Italian Salute' in a similar situation over 30 years ago. He stopped (so he had time to be insulted, but no time to yield, what an effin' a$$h0le!). Then, as if almost hitting me was not assault, he threatened to beat me up. As I was a trim, fit, and strong 6' 185, and he was a slightly pudgy 5' 4" 140 or so, I folded my arms across my barrel chest and told him I did not fancy his chances if he tried. I wasn't going to play nice if he initiated. Recognizing that I was not backing down to his short man's syndrome temper tantrum, he then said he had a pizza to get home before it got cold. His daughter watched all this from the back seat. Some role model. Maybe there was a son on the other side and this guy's moronic legacy lives on!

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    The afternoons are getting lighter and sunrise usually comes right around my first coffee break rather than around lunch. A sure sign that spring is on its way.
    That still blows my mind.

Took a different route today to check some more storm damage. There was a "share the road" sign that had completely blown over so it was still attached to the ground, but sticking sideways on it's post, parallel to the ground. Wanted a pic of the bike leaning on that, but someone had removed it (yesterday, apparently). Here's a pic of the aftermath of an epic tailwind. Rodar will recognize the caboose on the right.

How was your commute today?-screen-shot-2015-02-10-9.01.56-am.jpg

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Commutes the last two day have been nice. The streets have been cleared up thanks to the thaw over the weekend so I have been taking the commuter which is a welcome change from the fat bike. As fun as the fatty can be, it is just an energy suck on a commute. Still beats driving though - at least my energy is renewable.
    You speak the truth. Cannot wait to put the fat bike up, and get the fast bike out.

CB of the East
    I'd be pretty happy to get any bike out.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Fat is fast? So far I have hit 25.1 on my fat bike, on pavement on a straight away, wind at my back, slightly downhill. That is it. Maxed out beyond all belief. I can easily push 27.5 on the fixed gear in traffic. My fat bike is anything but fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I can easily push 27.5 on the fixed gear in traffic.
    What gear are you pushing?

mtbr member
    Fat is fast? So far I have hit 25.1 on my fat bike, on pavement on a straight away, wind at my back, slightly downhill. That is it. Maxed out beyond all belief. I can easily push 27.5 on the fixed gear in traffic. My fat bike is anything but fast.
    On my pugs I hit 29 on the flat, no wind 44 up front and 11 on the back. That was a one time thing. The fastest I've ever been on a fattie was also on the pugs going down the Hatcher Pass road in Alaska - 15 or 16% grade - 48.7 MPH before I started riding the brakes because I was starting to freak out. Good times. As I only ride fat, I've found that I am just as fast on in anymore as I was on my non-fat before.

local trails rider
    The packed snow on the paths was melting. One part of my commute had turned into a nasty porridge by the time I was heading home, so I got into a lane, instead of the path, for a while. No drama.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Caught a ride in to work with the wife this morning. Ride home was freaking amazing. 22 mph tailwinds, caught every green light, and every driver gave me plenty of room. I averaged 21.2 for the ride home without breaking a sweat. That'll never happen again

On another note, I witnessed a Waste Management truck come WAY too close to two female cyclists on U.S. 301 while they were in the bike lane. The one who was leading took a dive into the grass and screamed at the driver. I sped up and grabbed the truck number which I then spent an hour trying to track down the right person to speak with in order to call it in. You may remember that I modified my route sometime back because I left the house around the same time they rolled out of their depot, and dealt with them passing too close and too fast. I sent email after email and never received a reply, mainly because I wasn't able to provide any info for them. Well, this time I was able to talk my way to speaking with the regional transportation manager for a few minutes. We've got a phone conference tomorrow at noon to address my concerns.

Secondly, I just picked up a new frame to replace the "damaged" one from the collision in November. While I'm still working things out with my attorney and the insurance company. 2005 Trek 2100 road frame. While it isn't a "commuter" so to speak, I think it will do the job nicely, and is cheap enough that I'm not gonna complain about it. I don't use a rack or panniers anyway, so there ya go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Uneventful commutes so far this year with only one commute day missed. Was raining in the morning, rain forecasted all day, and I didn't see the need for my bike to get rained on all day in the bike rack. Cheapie Walmart street cruisers don't like to get rained on too heavily. Didn't feel like regreasing everything. I also don't have rain clothes, and it doesn't pay to invest in them. This was the first day in my two years of commuting that it rained at exactly the same time my morning commute took place. I never care about getting rained on for ride home.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good commutes. About 30F both in and out.

Overslept this morning. Woke up just in time to throw on a new shirt, scarf a peanut butter sandwich and hop on the bike... No morning coffee, but at least I want late to work.

After 15+ hours at the university at work/class/lab I was tired again but didn't skip the commute home. I'm glad I didn't. I had a hawk swoop down in front of me. Swoon, how majestic.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    What gear are you pushing?
    49:15 on both fixed gear bikes. Stationary police speed trap had me at 28mph last year when we were screwing around. I would imagine that I could get 30 pretty easily.

Ride in was alright. Fat bike fenders are alright for now. I am not happy with the rear mount but I will see how it goes with it on there. Kept my backside dry at least. Ride home was decent, but had two separate idiots pull idiot maneuvers. First one flew by me as we approached a 4 way stop. That was closer than I like. Followed him and he just happened to be getting out of his car as I passed and casually called out "nice driving". Second was on the one fast downhill that I have, SUV flew by me to make a right turn at the bottom of the hill. I had to get all over the brakes to slow down enough that I felt comfortable with. Considered taking the lane on that one as I was in the bike lane. Wasn't sure if they were really going to turn so I held back. MUP is a sheet of ice still which is unfortunate.

Strava reminds me daily of how slow this fat bike is, with a 12.2mph average speed on my commutes. It feels as fast as an oil tanker. It does allow me to ride in the winter however, so that is a positive aspect of it.