Page 325 of 573 FirstFirst ... 225 275 315 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 335 375 425 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,125 of 14324
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear Brian. Heal fast and keep the faith!

weirdo
    ^^^Mmm... rigid, threaded. But I think you have the wrong camo pattern for your location. Can you get "Sun and Sand" camo?

Just finished some patience eating bike maintenance...
    ...on my wife`s stationary. Hope the grease I just put in the bushings holds out for a long, long time, because I really don`t care to go through that again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I went 9er first. Ordered one up this morning.
    Well, as long as you can stiff find a way to justify the fatty next time. Any particular 9er, or just whatever the Wells Fargo wagon brings?

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I'll take the pouring rain and 20MPH gusts to sitting on an airplane for hours on end.
    Eew, tough decision there. 20 years ago, the plane might have won, but until smoking gets reinstated on airlines, I`m not so sure what I`d have to wish for. Maybe just make an appointment ofr a root canal on that day to evade making the decision myself. You don`t smoke, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Bike seat right rear and bottom right brake lever some rash, Bar tape is history and right pedal is history, too much of the outside hoop is gone...

...Discovered the front tire will not hold air. Could have taken a sidewall wound in the crash, or the police were un-careful delivering it home, or that was the reason the corner went so badly so suddenly.
    Body AND bike. Worser than before . It was your Mercian?

Yeah, that would make sense.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Geez, BrianMc, that does not sound like a fun ride. Hoping you feel better soon. Maybe those rocket-boosters you call lights melted the road in your path.

fux
    Scooterist
    -13 celcius this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-156906_10151139906477563_981597639_n.jpg  

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er

I TT'd 8 mi of trail after spotting these guys from over a mile away. They were humming along pretty nicely at ~17 mph, so it took a fair effort to catch up. The stoker had a slightly warped sense of humor. That's a Christmas tree in case you need help identifying it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hope you're up an at em soon Brian, that sounds like an awful wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I have an office job where I wear a dress pants and shirt. I want to start commuting to work a few days a week.

Since I will be wearing riding clothing while I'm on the bike, how do you suggest I take my work clothes with me? backpack ? commuter rack? i will be using my road bike. please include links to what I could use.
    I also work in an office and carry my work clothes in a backpack; shirt, pants, socks, underwear, shoes and belt. They don't generally wrinkle much on my ~35 minute commute. I also carry wetones, a small towel and deodorant so as to not offend anyone at work. My riding clothes I hang up under my desk so they're dry by the time I'm ready to head home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was wrong about the vultures. They are still hanging around but have moved up the creek. Last night, I counted 66 birds in the air and saw at least 40 more in the trees. They were swirling low this morning, and I was able to snap a quick pic.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Well, as long as you can stiff find a way to justify the fatty next time. Any particular 9er, or just whatever the Wells Fargo wagon brings?
    The exact twin to my 26er. I figure that way I can evaluate 9ers and 6ers without any other variables. I've decided that the right number of bikes for me is...8 . The 5 I own, the 9er on order, a fat bike, and a lightweight carbon cross bike.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I was wrong about the vultures. They are still hanging around but have moved up the creek. Last night, I counted 66 birds in the air and saw at least 40 more in the trees. They were swirling low this morning, and I was able to snap a quick pic.
    I still say there is a big dead animal somewhere near.

MTXB, don't you have fatbike on the beach pics to post or something.

Maintaining 17mph with the windage of a x-mas tree is pretty impressive.

Commute was good. Took the slow studded bike because the radio had some black ice warnings but I didn't see any. Found a nice insulated coffee cup.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I took the painkiller prescribed instead of high dose aspirin last night and this morning. The cure is worse than the affliction. I feel crappier now than at any time since regaining consciousness.

I may have found the smoking gun of the crash. A 'C' shaped piece of the center line of the front tire was cut clean through the tread, the Kevlar belt and lining, cutting a slit in the tube that I had leak fast and slow depending on how I held it. Looks like a sudden loss of front tire pressure in a fast corner caused by road debris. A freak accident. Or a freak's accident.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    MTXB, don't you have fatbike on the beach pics to post or something.
    Well yes, a couple cellphone pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Nice shots, mtbxplorer.

So we've been at -15C/5F for what feels like forever (not that I'm complaining, because it could certainly be colder) and I realized that it's the perfect temperature because I don't sweat. Any warmer and I'd be a little sweaty when I got to work, especially once I hit the heated underground parking. Much colder and I'd add a layer of fleece and would soaking wet. But -15C is just right.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^That's better. I rode a fatty for the first time this weekend. I can see myself owning one in the not too distant future. Maybe I need to push it into 2013. I've got to limit myself to 2 new bikes/year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I took the painkiller prescribed instead of high dose aspirin last night and this morning. The cure is worse than the affliction. I feel crappier now than at any time since regaining consciousness.

I may have found the smoking gun of the crash. A 'C' shaped piece of the center line of the front tire was cut clean through the tread, the Kevlar belt and lining, cutting a slit in the tube that I had leak fast and slow depending on how I held it. Looks like a sudden loss of front tire pressure in a fast corner caused by road debris. A freak accident. Or a freak's accident.

BrianMc
    So what do you think would help avoid a similar accident in the future?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So what do you think would help avoid a similar accident in the future?
    Maybe a magnetic cowcatcher type device or mini streetsweeper out front. Not too strong with the electromagnet though, or he'll be pulling up manhole covers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Maybe a magnetic cowcatcher type device or mini streetsweeper out front. Not too strong with the electromagnet though, or he'll be pulling up manhole covers.
    Perhaps something to do with the glasses may help to reduce the injuries.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The day after I decide to hang up the helmet for the season and it's 68 and sunny. Sigh.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice cold snow all weekend, now a Chinook so back to carsnot for three days, then cold and snowy again.

Starting to get the balance back to ride the stuff better though.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Perhaps something to do with the glasses may help to reduce the injuries.
    Yes, good point. I have clear glasses from these guys and they are super comfortable. I don't know if they are available in prescritption lenses or not.
    http://www.zerorh.com/sport/en/techn...lenses/seesafe

as to the vultures....it's their migratory season.

I get big groups of them passing over in February as they head north again. They don't seem to congregate as much when they're heading south, but I did see some in October/November.

my commute today:
    71F, overcast, scattered showers.

It was coming down sorta heavy when I left the house, but the rain abated to what I call "spitting" by the time I arrived. I ran the lights because it was the sort of weather I'd run my car's headlights. I think the rain jacket made me sweat more than I'd have gotten wet if I left it off. But with the skies overcast at that temp, a stiff wind like you get riding can cause a chill, so I wore the jacket. It wasn't a heavy sweat, just a clamminess by the end of the ride.

Thesis defense is in two days. My suit's dry cleaned and pressed and ready to go. Putting the final touches on my presentation today and tomorrow, and doing some practice. Going to get a haircut and a shave tomorrow so I look as professional as I can for this thing.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Going to get a haircut and a shave tomorrow so I look as professional as I can for this thing.
    They see suits and ties all day long. If you want to stand out, go in like your avatar and then they will forever remember you

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    They see suits and ties all day long. If you want to stand out, go in like your avatar and then they will forever remember you

Good luck!
    Lol, in this college, no. It's more like Carhartts and flannel shirts, with full beards. Even at fancy meetings. I haven't seen my adviser in a suit once in the 4.5yrs I've known him.

Moderator Moderator
    The ride home started with an unexpected gusty wind, followed by disturbing miles contemplating the evil in the world (the murderer of the Curriers here was apparently on a country-wide spree over many years before he killed himself in AK recently). This kind of thinking is not recommended on a desolate stretch of road, by yourself, on a bike. Next, my turn after the reservoir was lit up and blocked by a tractor trailer (from a logging job) that slid off the muddy road and its industrial sized towtruck. I peered into their headlights but got no invitation to pass by safely, so I detoured another 1.5 miles on more muddy roads from the warm-up. It hasn't even started raining yet, and .3 " expected overnight, so it won't be pretty.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    New to the thread but I need a place to vent.

On the way home from work tonight a car pulled into the bike lane right in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and flipped the driver off. A cop car came roaring up along side me and the officer proceeded to start yelling at me about being more respectful. Confused I attempted to ask if what the driver had done wasn't clearly illegal (failure to yield the right of way) but all the officer had to say was that "the world doesn't belong to me" and I should be "more respectful", then sped off. A few blocks up I spotted another cop car parked at the bank and decided to stop and ask him to clarify the rules for me. This officer was very elusive and refused to give me a straight answer after multiple questions. Frustrated I then began to ask him if officer weren't supposed to be driving with their laptops closed (the og officer had had his open) after an officer had ran down a pedestrian a while back. He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment. It was then that a guy walked up, bleeding and bandaged. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had just been hit while riding in the bike lane. :-0

Austin is a weird place and we need to start pushing for change.

Sorry to be a downer but stuff is becoming more and more common.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    New to the thread but I need a place to vent.

On the way home from work tonight a car pulled into the bike lane right in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and flipped the driver off. A cop car came roaring up along side me and the officer proceeded to start yelling at me about being more respectful. Confused I attempted to ask if what the driver had done wasn't clearly illegal (failure to yield the right of way) but all the officer had to say was that "the world doesn't belong to me" and I should be "more respectful", then sped off. A few blocks up I spotted another cop car parked at the bank and decided to stop and ask him to clarify the rules for me. This officer was very elusive and refused to give me a straight answer after multiple questions. Frustrated I then began to ask him if officer weren't supposed to be driving with their laptops closed (the og officer had had his open) after an officer had ran down a pedestrian a while back. He then got really defensive and told me to go away because he was working a traffic accident at the moment. It was then that a guy walked up, bleeding and bandaged. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had just been hit while riding in the bike lane. :-0

Austin is a weird place and we need to start pushing for change.

Sorry to be a downer but stuff is becoming more and more common.
    FTP!
    Honestly... ahh I give up