• 01-30-2015
    formula4speed
    The wind put a hurting on me today on the ride home. Sustained at 25mph and gusting over 30mph, basically a straight headwind the entire ride home. It felt like it never let up for a second. Almost made me regret riding a single speed, almost.
  • 01-30-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    You're over torquing the top cap. This is pulling the star nut out of the fork. The top cap bolt is used to set bearing preload (how quick or slow you want the steering). The top cap bolt should be tightened only enough to take the play out of the headset bearings.

Best case you need a new star nut installed; next worst you need a new fork. Worst case, the headset is ovalized from being loose or overloaded and you need a new frame.

To install a threadless fork:

1) Place lower bearing on fork crown race, grease liberally
    2) Install fork into frame, place upper bearing in upper bearing race, grease liberally
    3) Install rest of headset onto steerer
    4) Place spacers as needed
    5) Install stem, do not tighten clamping bolts, there should be ~2mm of space between top of steerer tube and top of stem (I prefer a 1.5mm spacer on top of stem)
    6) Install top cap and top cap bolt
    7) Tighten top cap bolt until there is no more play in the headset, do not over tighten
    8) Align stem and fork, tighten stem clamp bolts to specified torque.

If this happened before and the headset won't stay tightened it's likely the headtube is ovalized. Hopefully it's just the star nut and/or fork.

Top cap bolts on threadless stems are not like quill stem bolts. Quill stem bolts are tightened 10-12Nm, whereas top cap bolts are in the 10-20 in/lbs range

You are entirely 100% incorrect in your assessment. I took the bike into the shop today. Since the fork has a carbon steerer tube, there is no star nut. The previous owner must have done something at one time with the fork, because part of the compression plug setup is missing. This caused the whole thing to literally fall apart and no longer allow me to tighten the top cap to anything. Half of the compression plug had fallen down into the fork itself. It was not making any noise so I never heard it down there.

While the fork was off of the bike, we both visually inspected it for imperfections. It was checked for marring and for ovalization, neither which were present. While it was off, everything was properly greased and inspected, including the bearings. Everything checked out perfectly. I did sand down part of the inner part of the stem because there was an imperfection which could have eventually caused some marring on the steerer tube. Once that was completely done, everything was properly reassembled by the manager, and everything was torqued down to spec using a Park Tool torque wrench.

I appreciate your help, but your demeaning post towards me was unnecessary. I feel the need to call you out on this. I am fully aware of how to tighten down the stem and what the appropriate method of doing so entails. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • 01-30-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I appreciate your help, but your demeaning post towards me was unnecessary. I feel the need to call you out on this. I am fully aware of how to tighten down the stem and what the appropriate method of doing so entails. Thanks, but no thanks.

It appears you are being too sensitive. Waaaay too sensitive.

While after the fact, there appears to have been a lack of knowledge of your particular skill levels, that is no insult, merely a bad guess. The help seemed well intentioned.
  • 01-30-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    It appears you are being too sensitive. Waaaay too sensitive.

While after the fact, there appears to have been a lack of knowledge of your particular skill levels, that is no insult, merely a bad guess. The help seemed well intentioned.

Making assumptions on a public forum can be quite embarrassing. It does appear that after the fact, there was indeed something wrong beyond my technical knowledge of the fork and headset. The "guess" was written in a fairly condescending manner, as it came across that way. Had I been a third party in this, I would have taken it the same way. Based on my post history, and the simple number of changes that I have made to all three of my bikes, and the bikes in the past, something as simple as tightening down the stem.....I know how to do that.
  • 01-31-2015
    Rustedthrough
    ^ So, how was your commute today?
  • 01-31-2015
    TenSpeed
    No ride for me as I was off today. Will be riding in on Saturday though, snow expected.
  • 01-31-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Yikes Newf! I sounds like pretty much a miracle that you were not run over on that trip.
  • 01-31-2015
    rogbie
    Quote:

Making assumptions on a public forum can be quite embarrassing. It does appear that after the fact, there was indeed something wrong beyond my technical knowledge of the fork and headset. The "guess" was written in a fairly condescending manner, as it came across that way. Had I been a third party in this, I would have taken it the same way. Based on my post history, and the simple number of changes that I have made to all three of my bikes, and the bikes in the past, something as simple as tightening down the stem.....I know how to do that.

No condescension intended. I didn't realize you have a carbon fork, else my post would have reflected that. Further, the bulk of my post was intended for NDD. I thought I had multiple quotes in there.

I don't follow all your posts and had no idea of your mechanical abilities. I laid out the process I follow when troubleshooting headset problems in the simplest terms. Feel free to take it or leave it, but there is no need for accusations. We're all on the same team.

That said after the worst night at work, my commute was enjoyable. Though, I prefer the streets at 3am, after all the Friday partiers are gone, as to 8pm when they're all coming into town and don't know how to parallel park.
  • 01-31-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Yeah, I'm with BrianMC. I didn't see any condescension in rogbie's post either.
  • 01-31-2015
    NDD
    Dang it, It's all my fault. Me again... Not knowing anything.

Thanks Rogbie, that helps with diagnosing issues with me.
  • 01-31-2015
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh…..
    Then a white-minivan tried to pass me by driving onto the sidewalk - twice. And got kicked - twice. This was all within the first 30' of this intersection. After he'd avoided the lightpost, and then the tree, I finally stopped and made him stop.

Likely driving on a suspended license and no insurance, too. Maybe a video cam would help? Hard to believe.

I made the mistake of driving in a commercial section of town in the 4 PM time frame. Apparently there is a some rule suspending all traffic laws that I am totally unaware of but seems to be in effect.
  • 01-31-2015
    BrianMc
    Finally weather, health, and the stars aligned and I rode our new (late last fall) and only MUP ( that is known as such and is not actually a street with no sidewalks and a substandard width). I think that the official opening is yet to happen. About 5 miles long estimated from my time and guessed mean speed. Not bad. Met three pedestrians and on Samoyed who was not happy and appeared to want to relieve me of a foot.
  • 01-31-2015
    newfangled
    Quote:

Likely driving on a suspended license and no insurance, too. Maybe a video cam would help? Hard to believe.

Yeah, in retrospect I realized that in this case I really should have treated it like a real accident and demanded his license/registration. But standing out in the middle of a street, holding a bike, when someone has genuinely just threatened your life, it sure feels less automatic than if some idiot rear-ends your car.
  • 01-31-2015
    TenSpeed
    Windy both ways? Snow never came, supposed to hit sometime tonight and go through Monday. Between 8-12" is forecasted, but we will see. I plan on riding in on Sunday. Co workers think I am insane. I have only ridden in an inch of snow so far since I got the fat bike. I want to see what 6" of snow feels like. Will be allowing myself a lot of extra time because I will have no idea what the conditions of the roads will be, and since the first half is MUP and neighborhood roads, it might be slow going.
  • 02-01-2015
    TenSpeed
    Snow is currently falling, and we have about 2" already. Looking forward to getting out there in a few hours. Charging up all of my lights and going to run 3 taillights for extra visibility. Should I go solid up front or a bright blinker? I am not familiar with what will be better seen in actual snow fall.
  • 02-01-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    The ride in yesterday morning was trying, to say the least. It was about 40 degrees, and windy. I did the whole "grocery bag over the sock inside the shoe" thing, but my feet still froze. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, except for the fact that I have zero cold weather riding gear. That will change when we move back to TX, and actually have a winter worth preparing for. Here, we get a week of cold temps and then it's back to perfect riding weather again. I didn't ride home, and instead met up with the wife at the grocery store. It was an 11 hour day, 13 days straight without a day off, and I was exhausted. I still am. I'm hoping to change things come tomorrow, and ride whether I "want" to or not. My wallet can't afford all this driving ;)
  • 02-01-2015
    TenSpeed
    I tried sandwich bags over the socks, and to be honest, it didn't really work. I think at first my feet got warm a little, then they froze.
  • 02-01-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    I'll be alright. It's supposed to warm up on Tuesday, and doesn't show another cold front. By the time that I really need something, I'll buy some neoprene covers.
  • 02-01-2015
    BrianMc
    ^ Been riding with double socks and Neoprene 'booties' in temps down to the low 20's and that was good enough for an hour with no noticeable issues one day and just starting to get cold the next. In the past, I could not use that system below 32 or my feet were cold before I got out if my neighborhood. So not only does blood flow and temperature issues differ between us, they can change for each of us. For me it is better adrenals and thyroid.
  • 02-01-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Tenspeed, if its snowing like it is here you might blind yourself with the bright blinking headlamp.

I bailed on my ride today after watching some excellent 3 car ballet in the intersection in front of the house. Nine inches of powder and more on the way. Not a plow truck in sight.
  • 02-01-2015
    TenSpeed
    Wait until I get home. I have a commute to tell you all about. Oh boy.
  • 02-01-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Quote:

^ Been riding with double socks and Neoprene 'booties' in temps down to the low 20's and that was good enough for an hour with no noticeable issues one day and just starting to get cold the next. In the past, I could not use that system below 32 or my feet were cold before I got out if my neighborhood. So not only does blood flow and temperature issues differ between us, they can change for each of us. For me it is better adrenals and thyroid.

I've got some waterproof thermal socks that we used to use in EMS for those horrible shifts in the cold, but they're too thick to use with my cycling shoes. Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow morning on the ride in, so I'm not too worried about it anymore. I've got a check up with the MD after work that I'll ride to, and then Tuesday I have an appointment with DMD for treatment for the temporomandibular joint injury that I received in the accident. Planning on having the wife drop me off in the morning, I'll do the 2 hour appointment, and then ride the 70 something miles back home. Only thing I'm worried about is making it through downtown St. Pete and Tampa. Completely unfamiliar areas with lots of turns. Need to figure out a way to set up turn by turn directions.
  • 02-01-2015
    Forster
    Been off the bike for three weeks (one week on the road, two weeks sick) and now 18-24" of snow. Can't wait for the snow to get packed enough to ride over or scooped to ride through.
  • 02-01-2015
    TenSpeed
    OK, I came home sick early from work with a nasty cold. I feel like my head could explode. Well kiddos, pull up a chair, get your hot chocolate out boys and girls, because I am about to tell you a tale to top all tales. First, a little background on me. 42 years old, been riding a bike on and off all of my life, from a BMX when I was a kid, to a mountain bike in my 30's, to where I am today. I have ridden in all kinds of conditions, from scalding hot to actual temps in the single digits with negative wind chill. 50+ mph wind, severe thunderstorms, torrential downpours, ice, snow, and everything in between. Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the ride today.

When I left, the actual temp was 20° and breezy, with about 4" of fresh snow on the ground with it still falling. The fat bike handled it with ease for the most part. The side streets and intersections were sketchy, but I managed to keep it upright, the whole time, until I pulled into work, as I came off the main street, the back tire slid out, and boom, down I went. Laughed it off and locked my bike up and went in. Well, for the last few days, I have been simply denying the fact that a cold was coming on. Convincing myself that I was not sick, it was in my head, etc. Hah! Felt alright when I got in, but as the day progressed on, the worse I started to feel. Decided to go home early, take the possible unexcused absence because I was absolutely miserable. Left work at 7:45PM. Superbowl is still on, shouldn't be much traffic, Sunday night, I will be alright.......

It never stopped snowing. They would be out plowing for sure, no way that they wouldn't. Left work, boom, I am down before I left the lot. Alright, this should be fun. Get out onto the main street, and even though the street is plowed fairly well, I am just all over the place. Not from the snow or the traffic, but the wind has just got me all over the road. Gusts were forecasted in the mid 30mph range, and they were dead on. It was a northeast wind, and it is hitting me right at an angle. I am 210lbs, on a 35lb bike, and it is tossing me around like I am a crumpled up piece of paper. The back end just keeps sliding out, and it keeps pushing me to the right, to the curb. The snow is still coming down, in waves of whiteout conditions alternating with calm. It is pretty cold out, lower teens at this point. I am dressed well, every inch of my skin covered, hand warmers inside the gloves, snowboard helmet, balaclava, goggles, Defrosters on, etc. Pretty good to go for just about anything. Boom, I am down again. Crossed an intersection and the garbage left in the middle grabbed that tire and I went down. I cross the city line, and that's it. The road conditions go from alright to poor. Plows have not been out much clearly because there is a lot of snow on the roads. Not much traffic, so I take the clearest possible lane, the left one. It was tough going into that wind, sliding around like crazy. Only got passed by two cars since most people were smart enough to not be out. At one point, I had to walk the bike because it was just that poor. I stuck to the main road for fear of what the other roads would be like. If the main road was like this, no telling how bad the others would be. At some point, I have to leave the main road to get to the apartment complex. The further east I headed, the worse the roads got. Headed down another road to get to try to get home. It wasn't bad, but the wind was now coming across directly at me making me just slide all over the place. I went down two more times on that road just from it being so windy. The wind was actually grabbing me and just moving me wherever it wanted. Get onto the last main road that I will be on, and it is plowed. I flew down that road because the wind had let up and it was clear. By flew, I think I hit double digits, maybe 10mph or so. This road connects to the main MUP, or continues on into a neighborhood that will dump me off at the county park which has the other MUP that I take that dumps me off at my complex. Stopped to look at the MUP, and laughed. It hadn't been touched and since it is so exposed, the drifts at the beginning were huge. That would have been my most direct route but looked impassable. Continued on into the neighborhood that had not been plowed. Tried to keep it in the tire tracks, but went down 2 more times in half a mile. Walked it a little more. At the end of the neighborhood, it dumps me out on one last main road. The park is a block to the south, the main MUP is about a block to the north. There is a road that heads east further down each way, but is really out of the way by at least a mile and a half if not more in each direction. From this point, the park is the most direct route. The park should have been cleared off, but since it is Sunday and getting late, it wasn't. I had to make a decision here as to what to do. Try to walk it, or go a mile and a half out of my way to get to a road that is not a main road and I have no idea what the conditions are. Cutting through the park is about a mile or so, however, the snow is a foot deep from the entrance as far back as I can see. Debated on what to do, and went for park. Fell again just walking in the snow since it was so deep and I got a patch of ice or something. I hoofed it, and then had to take a break. The wind was just beating me up but I trudged on. The Defroster boots claim to be wind and waterproof and I tested that out tonight to the MAX. Their claim is spot on. My feet were still toasty when I eventually got home. So I made that last mile, pushing the heavy fat bike in the wind and blowing snow. That was quite the ordeal.

It took me an hour and 45 minutes to travel 7.7 miles. I don't know how I made it home feeling the way that I do. Concentrated so much on making sure I kept the bike upright (hah) that before I knew it, the complex was in site. I can now add blizzard to my list of things that I have ridden in. Currently still snowing and they are saying 16"+ by the time it is over tomorrow morning. Going to be taking a break from the bike for a few days I think. Also debating on flipping back to pinned flats and running the Defroster boots with them, just not clipping in. Thoughts on that?

Here is the one picture I took from the MUP by my complex. Excuse the crappy quality, just wanted to hurry up and get the heck home!

• 02-01-2015
    rodar y rodar
    I just got back from a short trip to Palm Springs for my grandmother`s birthday party. Terribly weather- wished I had brought a pair of shorts.

Quote:

(I didn't actually think he was drunk, I just thought he was an *******. But awhile ago I decided that my default response to ******* drivers was going to be "Are you drunk?" That way I don't have to be clever or rational in the heat of the moment.)

I like it. Good idea having a default and I like the specific response. Did he really call you a banana? If you ever see him again, you should suggest that he develope his own default insult for cyclists who piss him off!

NDD, behave yourself!
  • 02-02-2015
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

OK, I came home sick early from work with a nasty cold. I feel like my head could explode.....

I must admit, that was a really long post and I started skimming it. It does sound like my Soul Sucking Lake incident. Nice pic. The lighting came out really cool.

Speaking of the soul sucking lake. It sucked today too. 3+ foot drifts, even the tracks were too soft to ride. I walked it for the whole mile. Really really good exercise pushing the fat bike. The rest of the trails were pretty energy sapping but still pretty good. I had a good chance to take a pic of some deer closeup but the camera decided that 0F was just too cold to work. It was snowing pretty good for most of the ride.
  • 02-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Ride in this morning sucked. I averaged 13 mph, on a fast cross bike, with slicks. Ugh.
  • 02-02-2015
    jeffscott
    Back to winter

I don't know how 4 inches of snow turns into 4 inches of hardpack and car snot.....but it does.

-15 C 25 km/h head wind.
  • 02-02-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Continuing with the new reality of how it doesn't snow in the Sierras anymore, today was a soaker of a rain ride for me. Wasn't paying attention to the weather this weekend and didn't see it coming. Weather says 40% chance of scattered rain... I should buy a lottery ticket because I got hosed all the way to work.
  • 02-02-2015
    blockphi
    Today's commute was pretty craptacular- woke up late, so had to take a later bus that was filled to the gills. Then I finished the book I was reading five minutes into the ride and the other book I checked out didn't down load last night so I was stuck looking out the windows. Then I get to town and panic because I didn't remember putting my keys in my bags. Then one of my bags fell off my rack. Then. Then. Then. Actually, it wasn't terrible, overall. Just the type of stressful that the commute always is when the routine is busted for some reason. First time in a year and a half, though, that I have overslept. The funny thing is, I woke up at 3:30, looked at my watch and then went back to sleep, figuring the alarm would wake me at 3:55. My bad, I didn't turn on the alarm. Argh. Oh well. Good times.

Ended January with 351.3 miles for the month. Not too bad with the first week being non-commuting and it being January and all. Nowhere near my summer average of 1K+ a month, though. Should see some bigger numbers in February as it starts to stay lighter longer and the days warm up a bit.
  • 02-02-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    Just got word from my wife that with this huge paycheck coming in, I get my Bosanova. So, my commutes are about to be a whole lot sweeter.
  • 02-02-2015
    TenSpeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I must admit, that was a really long post and I started skimming it. It does sound like my Soul Sucking Lake incident. Nice pic. The lighting came out really cool.

Speaking of the soul sucking lake. It sucked today too. 3+ foot drifts, even the tracks were too soft to ride. I walked it for the whole mile. Really really good exercise pushing the fat bike. The rest of the trails were pretty energy sapping but still pretty good. I had a good chance to take a pic of some deer closeup but the camera decided that 0F was just too cold to work. It was snowing pretty good for most of the ride.

Yeah, that was a long post, but once I got home and started typing, couldn't seem to stop. I am glad that my lighting shows so well in the snow. Niterider Lumina 700 and 350 up front on the bars on full blast, and just a Cygolite Hotshot Micro on blink on the back (caught it at full blink). That was one of my worries while riding.
  • 02-02-2015
    Kleebs
    We got the same snow storm that TenSpeed had, although less wind and a little less snow. I replaced the busted bottom bracket and upgraded the cranks on my fat bike yesterday so of course i had to give them a test spin in the fresh snow. Had a fantastic 7 mile jaunt around town with the snow coming down. Probably had 5-6 inches of fresh snow at that point. Kept snowing all night though and I woke up to another 6-7 inches this morning. Clearing the plow drift from the driveway took longer than I expected so I was running late. Opted to throw the fat bike in the car and drive to a park that is about 1/2 way to work. I couldn't believe the roads were as bad as they were. Glad I had the fat bike or I wuoldn't have made it.

Must have been some water in the cables again because the shifters froze. Second bike that has happened on this winter. I think I just need to run full length housings on any bike I plan to ride outside in the winter. Between the snow, the 3psi fat tires, and the lack of gear options, it was slow going this morning but I stayed upright and had a blast. Got a lot of fun comments about the pink tires.
  • 02-02-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Must have been some water in the cables again because the shifters froze. Second bike that has happened on this winter. I think I just need to run full length housings on any bike I plan to ride outside in the winter.

It could also be water in the shifters themselves....

I have had that problem, just spray a little wd40 in through the cable insertion hole....wait a minute then blow it out with a blast of air....I seem to have to do that every year or so.

I have never had a cable freeze though, I run XTR cables not full length, but they do have nice little rubber boots wher the enter and exit.

I have also had water get into the steerer tube and make the steering catchy....had to pull the bearings and re grease, after a shot of Wd-40 to pull out the water.
  • 02-02-2015
    CommuterBoy
    I have full-length housings and have had very good luck with no water getting in there and messing with things. I had a mechanical disc brake get super sticky this year, and I thought that was the problem, but it turned out to just be frozen crud messing with the caliper itself, not a cable/housing issue. If you do full length housings, my advice is "go long"... My rear D housing was as short as I could get away with one time, and then I had a fraying issue at the rear D and had to cut a half inch or so of the housing off to get a nice new end on it, and as a result I wound up having to get all new housing, re-wrap the bar tape, etc... all for a stupid fraying housing end. Give yourself a little wiggle room.
  • 02-02-2015
    s0ckeyeus
    Commute was rough this morning. The wind was kicking me in the face, and it was cold enough to not be fun. I had to take in the SS, since my attempt to install V-brakes on my geared commuter didn't go as planned. The bolts were too long for my fork. I don't know if this is just one of those stupid Cannondale things or what, but even the bolts I took off my previous brakes would not thread all the way in. It's as if the fork were designed to take a certain model of brakes and none other. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get some washers.
  • 02-02-2015
    byknuts
    1 Attachment(s)
    godd-dayumn that was rough. level of exertion was super-high.
    no traction despite the studded tires, tires were floating too much, all over the place. magura hydraulics were either iced, or running on icy rims, either way, levers were almost to the bar every shaky stop.
  • 02-02-2015
    NDD
    Cold and windy. Second coldest for me at 15°F this morning. We just haven't gotten the cold temps or snow around STL this year. We got something that I wouldn't even call a dusting. Sigh. All last week they say snow, then on Sunday, rain.

On the way home, I could smell someone cooking garlic bread. The worst, I almost found the house and asked to come in for dinner. On the bright side I had some chili waiting at home. Supreme.
  • 02-03-2015
    blockphi
    A good ride in this AM. Got up on time and on my regular bus. -1F at the house and -3 at the low point of my commute in town. Lots of icy fog this morning coming in off the inlet. I assume that this means there is a mass of warmer water coming up the inlet but I don't know if that will have an effect on the overall weather. We could still use a few more shots of snow to get things really awesome for riding.
  • 02-03-2015
    newfangled
    Did anyone see the stories about the guy in Detroit who has walked 21 miles roundtrip to work for the last decade?

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...fe=off&tbm=nws

I'm not being judgy (or blaming this on a systemic failure of Detroit's public transit) because he's free to spend his time however he wants. But personally a cheap bike from Walmart seems like a good idea?

I guess what surprises me is that a bike doesn't even enter the conversation. (well, it doesn't surprise me because the media are dumb)
  • 02-03-2015
    bedwards1000
    I did and I agree. Anybody from this forum would have had the same thought. Well now he has a car and $150K so I guess it worked out for him.
  • 02-03-2015
    NDD
    Quote:

I did and I agree. Anybody from this forum would have had the same thought. Well now he has a car and $150K so I guess it worked out for him.

With. 150K he can get a few pretty sweet bikes.
  • 02-03-2015
    bedwards1000
    Maybe he likes to walk to work. Our household has 3 very capable cars. 1 high mileage, 1 sport utility & 1 3/4 Ton truck with a plow. And I ride my bike to work any time I can and so does the wife. :)

Unfortunately, any time I can't doesn't include today. We've had about 4' of snow in the last week. The main roads are too snow covered to be safe and the trails are buried. Maybe they'll get packed this weekend.
  • 02-03-2015
    newfangled
    Quote:

Maybe he likes to walk to work.

The stories spin it that he spends 20 hours of every day either at work or commuting. I like walking too, and I'm not saying that he shouldn't do that, but a bike would free up ~6 hours every day.

(sometimes I just can't get over how slow walking is. Seriously evolution, how did you screw this up so badly? Dogs with legs that are 4" long can walk as fast as us.)
  • 02-03-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Quote:

(sometimes I just can't get over how slow walking is. Seriously evolution, how did you screw this up so badly? Dogs with legs that are 4" long can walk as fast as us.)

:lol: :lol:
  • 02-03-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Opposable thumbs? kinda help out a bit.
  • 02-03-2015
    newfangled
    ^ Hey, I'm not greedy. I don't want better ears and a better nose too - I just want humans to have a decent middle gear between walking and jogging.

(But for anyone who's never heard of the Human vs. Horse marathon, humans have actually outrun equestrians in 2 out of 34 years)
  • 02-03-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

The stories spin it that he spends 20 hours of every day either at work or commuting.

That is a gross exaggeration.
    21 miles @ 3mph = 7 hrs
    +12 hour shift
    +1/2 hour unpaid lunch
    = only 19.5 hours at work and walking!
  • 02-03-2015
    newfangled
    ^ I did that math too, but he's multimodal. There's some bus in there on top of the walking, and you could easily spend another 0.5hr just waiting for the bus.
  • 02-03-2015
    mtbxplorer
    ^^Oh yeah, forgot about that, he probably does not sleep at all!