Page 323 of 437 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 16,101 to 16,150 of 21807
    Moderator Moderator
    Our landlord at work, a large insurance company, is applying to the League of American Bicyclists to be considered a bicycle friendly business. One of the steps is to survey everyone. The questions were tough...What has the business done to promote cycling?... Ummm, there are a few bike racks I guess. It will be interesting to see if the application process results in positive changes.

CB of the East
    No commute for me today. We're havin' a wicked blizzard (in case you hadn't heard). I needed a rest day anyway. My legs were like stumps both ways yesterday but I knew I'd be driving today and tomorrow.

I did put together a race report from Sunday's race.
    The Candid Cyclist: Moose Brook Fatbike Race 2015

mtbr member
    Hey bedwards, looking at your bike comparisons I was wondering how much distance your lake crossing saves you?

CB of the East
    It saves a mile or 2 depending on the route. I have a shorter hilly way around that is about 10.5 miles or a longer flatter way around that is 12.5. Over the lake is about 8.5. I'm afraid that passage will be closed at least until the snowmobiles get out and pack it down this weekend. Even then it will be hit or miss. By the end of today there will be between 0" and 48" on it. It's blowing snow like mad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lacking snow.

They were calling for 6-8 inches overnight, we got nothing. Ended up being a pretty decent ride, roads were clear and had a slight tailwind.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Newish commuter

Young girl on a towny equipped with studs .... spins along pretty good...and all dressed up for work.

We will see how cold she lasts...supposed to cool off next week

I'd rather be on my bike
    Not upset that this blizzard missed us. Hope all that are in the northeast are doing alright. Sunny and similar to yesterday, should be a good ride in.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 299/5000

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. 2F at the house. 5.7F and light snow in town.

I am surprised at how easy it is to forget what works and what doesn't in terms of layering and getting dry with the bus portion of the commute in between the rides. Last night I was damp on the way home and hung up my gloves to dry on the way to the valley. Got there and rode about a mile before I had to swap the gloves because the liners were just damp enough that the 4 below temps were causing my fingers to completely freeze and go numb. The more I think about it, the more I really think pogies might just be the ticket. I just don't know how they'd work with the bus situation. The only time I don't like riding is when my fingers are cold. That just sucks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Good ride in this AM. 2F at the house. 5.7F and light snow in town.

I am surprised at how easy it is to forget what works and what doesn't in terms of layering and getting dry with the bus portion of the commute in between the rides. Last night I was damp on the way home and hung up my gloves to dry on the way to the valley. Got there and rode about a mile before I had to swap the gloves because the liners were just damp enough that the 4 below temps were causing my fingers to completely freeze and go numb. The more I think about it, the more I really think pogies might just be the ticket. I just don't know how they'd work with the bus situation. The only time I don't like riding is when my fingers are cold. That just sucks.
    Big floppy mitts

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BliZzard. OMG! There was like 1/4" of snow on the ground this morning.

Actually the road was kind of slick in spots, but not bad. It's actually starting to get light on my ride in, even on cloudy days like today. I kind of like riding in the dark, but it will be cool to catch the sunrise more consistently (if we ever see sun again).

mtbr member
    In the 'burbs of Philadelphia, PA.

We were lucky enough to escape the giant blizzard that was supposed to happen. Got about an inch of snow. Real powdery stuff. Mostly slush on the way into work. As a bonus, not much traffic out. I guess a lot of companies closed today? Rode in on the studded tires just in case it was icy out.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Moderator Moderator
    ... Got there and rode about a mile before I had to swap the gloves because the liners were just damp enough that the 4 below temps were causing my fingers to completely freeze and go numb. The more I think about it, the more I really think pogies might just be the ticket. I just don't know how they'd work with the bus situation. The only time I don't like riding is when my fingers are cold. That just sucks.
    I had no problems with the pogies regularly riding the rack on the front of the bus (12 miles, up to 50mph).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I had no problems with the pogies regularly riding the rack on the front of the bus (12 miles, up to 50mph).
    The problem is that my bike goes in the bus, with the handle bar slid in between the driver's seat and the partition wall with one end out in the aisle. I think I'll chat up my LBS and see if he will loan me a set for the day to test with and just see how they work out.

Moderator Moderator
    It was just starting to snow when I rode in, and a brisk 5F with a 10 mph headwind. I'm still at work, but they reduced the forecast totals to 3-6". The gusts up to 35mph and current 1" per hour could make it sketchy though, so I may take the bus.

I enjoyed your race report Bedwards, and congrats. The 8 mile option was long enough for me! The fastest racer in the 16 mile finished only 7 minutes after my 8 mile finish - not quite twice as fast as me.

I didn't take a single pic, but I did do the following better than last year:
    arrived before the starting gun; ate breakfast; drank water (small Nalgene in bottle cage, easier to get open in the cold than a bike bottle) had a snack on the course, and; completed the 8 mile course. Bedwards, did you check the amount of climbing?

mtbr member
    They've been threatening me with a freezing rain warning all afternoon, but it looks like it'll hold off at least long enough for me to get home. Whoo.

weirdo
    Hang in there, you snowbound Easterners! Glad it`s less drastic than what what was feared, but keep staying safe out there!

The problem is that my bike goes in the bus, with the handle bar slid in between the driver's seat and the partition wall with one end out in the aisle.
    I guess taht does complicate things, but it sure is cool of the drivers to let you load up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CandidCyclist1000 View Post
    Overall people were very courteous and wouldn't let too much time pass before pulling to the side for a moment to let others get by.
    Wow, that`s pretty neat- very friendly competetion. How much of this year`s gains do you attribute to tire pressure? It seems you really had issues with it last time.

...arrived before the starting gun;
    Definitely a better starting strategy!
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    It was both good and bad. A nice and dry sunny 22F for the ride in. Headset felt a little loose the night before so I tightened everything up and got it all adjusted. Well, I got home tonight, and it was completely loose again. Took the stem off, and now, well, now there is definitely something wrong. I can no longer tighten the top bolt, and it appears to be screwed into something that came right out of the fork. I will take it in on Friday to my buddies shop and see what kind of damage I did. I know a little about forks, but this is something that I have not seen before. Going to not try and think about it and just hope for the best.

So the good is that I took 3rd place on a segment on Strava, so I guess that is considered to be on the leader board? I got into it on the ride home and guess I did pretty well. That part I am happy about. The rest, ehhhh, it was cold and my hands were freezing because I stopped to try to tighten the stem after the blast because I could feel that it was loose. Personally, I am sick and damn tired of the cold, ice and snow. I am more than ready for mosquitos and humidity.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 299/5000

mtbr member
    This morning was nice. Around 45 with a 15 mph headwind. Finally got my light and wireless computer set up so that there's no EM interference. Other than that, I just keep on keeping on. Looking forward to the Tour de Cure, my coast to coast ride, and a new bike.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    Baby boy
    TenSpeed, something similar happened to me. What it sounds like is that the star fangled nut that the headset screws into has come loose. Mine somehow migrated up closer to the cap, and I couldn't tighten it anymore.

I'm guessing, so don't quote me on it. Does your fork kinda rattle if you hit a bump? You may need a new one. What I did was I took off the cap and then got a screwdriver with a rubber end. Put the rubber end on the nut and gently hammered it down. It worked, but I say you might need a new one because it happened to mine again after a few months, so the star fangled nut may have been defective.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

CB of the East
    I enjoyed your race report Bedwards, and congrats. The 8 mile option was long enough for me! The fastest racer in the 16 mile finished only 7 minutes after my 8 mile finish - not quite twice as fast as me.

I didn't take a single pic, but I did do the following better than last year:
    arrived before the starting gun; ate breakfast; drank water (small Nalgene in bottle cage, easier to get open in the cold than a bike bottle) had a snack on the course, and; completed the 8 mile course. Bedwards, did you check the amount of climbing?
    The 16 mile course was about 2400 feet of climbing. I was struggling to figure out if I had lapped you on my drive home. You finished the race, your second lap, 3 minutes before I finished my third lap. So I didn't quite lap you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hang in there, you snowbound Easterners! Glad it`s less drastic than what what was feared, but keep staying safe out there!
    We got about 2 feet with more on the way on Friday. It may be a very low biking week. I'll have to get out and do it for fun over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wow, that`s pretty neat- very friendly competition. How much of this year`s gains do you attribute to tire pressure? It seems you really had issues with it last time.
    I'd say at least 10+ minutes were tire pressure. Not stopping to fix it and lower overall worked for the conditions. It was a slightly faster course this year too, that helped.

This is for Commuter Boy, the look out my window at work.
    How was your commute today?-snow.jpg

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    TenSpeed, something similar happened to me. What it sounds like is that the star fangled nut that the headset screws into has come loose. Mine somehow migrated up closer to the cap, and I couldn't tighten it anymore.

I'm guessing, so don't quote me on it. Does your fork kinda rattle if you hit a bump? You may need a new one. What I did was I took off the cap and then got a screwdriver with a rubber end. Put the rubber end on the nut and gently hammered it down. It worked, but I say you might need a new one because it happened to mine again after a few months, so the star fangled nut may have been defective.
    The star nut should be irrelevant once the clamp on the stem is tightened. It's only used to pre-load the bearings.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Right near the end of my commute I have a hill to climb with a traffic light at the top. I was at the bottom of the hill and saw the light was about to turn green so I decided to try to race to the top to catch the light. Well the hill combined with a headwind and being on the single speed all conspired to make my legs feel worthless. Didn't make the light, but still got to work early.

Broke 200 miles of commuting for the month on the ride in. Not as impressive as others here but it's a good number for me in the winter.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. -7F at the house and about the same in town.

Odd thing last night. Got out of work and my rear tire was inflated just fine. Got about three miles down the trail and noticed it was bouncing all over the place. Went another mile and noticed that it was nearly completely flat. Stopped and pumped it up and made it to the bus with no issues. Once in the valley it seemed fine overall. A bit soft, but I just attributed that to the fact that I was using a small pump and just got it up enough to roll easy. Put the floor pump on it at home and got it up to about 18PSI where I normally have it at for packed conditions. Held fine over night, but it seemed softer when I got to the office. I have a sneaking suspicion that the valve might be leaking. Don't know. Tubeless. Figure I'll go get some sealant today and top it off a bit. Had no issues for three weeks with losing pressure at all until after this past weekend when I dropped pressure for trail riding. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    The star nun should be irrelevant once the clamp on the stem is tightened. It's only used to pre-load the bearings.
    LOL. Star nun.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r0e8Uve7cJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

weirdo
    Old fangled star nun.
    Name:  FlyingNun02_5237.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  23.8 KB
    Recalculating....

guy
    Haha you guys are cracking me up.

Back on the bike today after a bit of a break. Fingers were freezing for the first couple of miles, then they warmed up and my toes got cold. This seems to be how my body works in single digit temps. Oh well. Ride went well and the roads were clear. Tons of traffic today though, so much that on one section that is 1 lane with a bike lane and parking lane became a two lane because people couldn't stand to wait single file. I hopped on the sidewalk here rather than splitting the lanes because the lanes merged not far ahead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Not upset that this blizzard missed us.
    I'm with you on the blizzard. I've done 30" without drifting here. Not fun. Rodar and CB seem to be the only ones bemoaning a lack of snow. We got 1/2-1" Monday and Tuesday mornings. Clear sunny and will hit almost 40 today.

CB of the East
    You know what I meant.

blockphi, I get that a lot on my fatbike. If I don't tighten the valve stem REAL GOOD it leaks air. It almost seems like the top of the threaded part can unscrew but I haven't thought to look at it at a convenient time.

NDD
    Baby boy
    The star nut should be irrelevant once the clamp on the stem is tightened. It's only used to pre-load the bearings.
    Would it be an issue if one had recently adjusted or swapped a stem? I'm just perplexed as to why that would temporarily have fixed my issue.

CB of the East
    You could have loosened it during the adjustment but once the clamps are tight all the star nut does is hold the top cap on. You could take the screw and top cap off and the headset would still be tight.

Bedwards Of The West
    This is for Commuter Boy, the look out my window at work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	959369
    Thank you. Thank you very much.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    You could have loosened it during the adjustment but once the clamps are tight all the star nut does is hold the top cap on. You could take the screw and top cap off and the headset would still be tight.
    In theory yes, but not always in practice.
    I have one bike that the headset will loosen/stem will slip up over time no mater what I do.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    In theory yes, but not always in practice.
    I have one bike that the headset will loosen/stem will slip up over time no mater what I do.
    Hmm... I'll just do what I did last time and take it all apart and put it back together...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Good job!

Good commute into work today here in SeCt. The roads still were still covered in snow but nothing compared to yesterday.

We got about 2 feet of snow yesterday from the snowstorm so work was cancelled. Went for a 7 mile ride and the roads were a mess saw a few other bikes out downtown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. -8 at my house and -4 in town. Stopped by the bike shop yesterday to pick up a booster of Stan's for my rear wheel, which was something I needed to do anyway. Talked to the mech and he recommended using just a small touch of super glue put on the stem about a quarter way up from the bottom before screwing it down tight. This gives it a bit of stick to the rim so that when putting a pump on it, the stem does not move enough to break any seal that the sealant has created there. Didn't have any glue at home last night so just cranked down the nut a bit more, put in the Stan's and figured I'd give it a go and see what happens. I'll pick up some glue today and try that as well.

Looks like it will be a low mileage month for me. I think I'll end it around 350 unless I can get in a couple of long rides tomorrow and Saturday. Had a few weekends that I wasn't able to ride much more than a few miles, if at all, and with the recent cold snap, I've been taking the short route to work. I figure once we are back up into the mid-teens I'll pick up the long route in and out again.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Some days your ride catches you by surprise. I felt like I was absolutely struggling on the ride into work this morning - just felt like a slug. I get to work, hit stop on my GPS and look at the elapsed time - fastest commute so far this year by about two minutes.

Still no snow to report here. Sorry rodar and CB...

Nice race report bedwards - well done.

Bedwards Of The West
    Took the trail with the steep climb home yesterday... that super soft but not muddy freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw dirt that makes it feel like you have 2 flat tires. So much work. It's my duty to pack this thing down, so I rode it this morning too... frozen. like riding on frozen pudding. my hardtail 29er felt like a dual suspension fat bike. I think. I've never even seen a dual suspension fat bike.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    boring as heck on the way in, but couple inches of snow fell while I was inside so I had a blast on the way home!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Gonna try to get up early and make it the long way in. Not supposed to have bad headwinds, and I could definitely use the boost. Just a few months before the huge ride, and I don't have the option of goofing off and sleeping in late hoping the wife will drive my lazy ass in the morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Felt a bit like Shackleton coming home, high headwinds, glare ice and the wet kind of cold we don't get much of here. Forgot to pull my glove liners out to dry during class, the frozen fingers where my own doing.

On the positive side, the few drivers who were out were giving me huge amounts of space on the roads, and I got to compare my assortment of blinking/ breathing lights to those on the salt trucks. The studded tires were flawless, the stud-less boots less so.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I've never even seen a dual suspension fat bike.
    I am so lusting after a dual suspension fatbike.How was your commute today?-bucksaw_carbon_forward.jpg
    You're fatbike needs must be pretty low since you never ever get snow anymore.

mtbr member
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

So I did coffeeoutside again, with the usual group of cyclists. And there were a few out-of-towners who were here for the wintercities conference. And a good time was had by all.

But then: *******ville.

I've mentioned before that for 5 years I rode the same route to work, but last summer I finally got sick of dealing with idiots and I switched to a different bridge which means a totally different route. But on days that I go for coffee, my old route is the route to take. And it's still full of idiots.

One SUV completely inexplicably decided he was allowed to go on redlight. It's a weird intersection, and it's totally illegal, and if he'd done it a few seconds later I would have been right in the middle of crossing. Not quite a close call, but a major wtf.

Then a white-minivan tried to pass me by driving onto the sidewalk - twice. And got kicked - twice. This was all within the first 30' of this intersection. After he'd avoided the lightpost, and then the tree, I finally stopped and made him stop.

The conversation (as close as I can remember it) was:

Driver: "What's your problem man?"
    Me: "Are you drunk?"
    (I didn't actually think he was drunk, I just thought he was an *******. But awhile ago I decided that my default response to ******* drivers was going to be "Are you drunk?" That way I don't have to be clever or rational in the heat of the moment.)
    Driver: "What's your problem?" (he asks, as his van is only half on the road, and touching my pannier)
    Me: "Are you drunk?
    Driver: "So you think with your bike and your lights that makes you in charge?"
    Me: "What are you talking about? You're in a white mini-van."
    Driver: "Yeah, don't go kicking my van."
    At this point a pedestrian tapped on the opposite window, and made the I'm-watching-you sign at the driver.
    I asked "Did you get his license plate?"
    Driver: "What do you want my license plate for? I didn't do anything you banana."

We don't have front license plates in this province, because of some stupid cost-savings/vanity ********.

So if you're in this sortof situation you can:

1. Go behind the vehicle to get the plate, allowing the driver to speed off in a blaze of macho ****-you glory
    2. Realize you're not actually going to report it anyway, so just stay in front of the vehicle and ride really, really slowly for awhile.

I went with Option 2, because seriously, what else am I going to do?

So anyway, I don't think he was drunk. But I think there's actually a reasonable chance that he was stoned. He saw absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that his car was half-way off the road. And that changes how I have to think about things.

And finally, saw another minivan almost hit a jogger who was crossing at a crosswalk with flashing lights. "I'm so important that I have to blow through this so that I can stop at the line of cars that is literally 100' away." And of course then I had to line up behind this moron, and because I wasn't having a great day (and he wasn't going anywhere) I really debated tapping on his window and calling him names. But I didn't.
    Last edited by newfangled; 01-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ^ Oh boy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    It was both good and bad. A nice and dry sunny 22F for the ride in. Headset felt a little loose the night before so I tightened everything up and got it all adjusted. Well, I got home tonight, and it was completely loose again. Took the stem off, and now, well, now there is definitely something wrong. I can no longer tighten the top bolt, and it appears to be screwed into something that came right out of the fork. I will take it in on Friday to my buddies shop and see what kind of damage I did.
    You're over torquing the top cap. This is pulling the star nut out of the fork. The top cap bolt is used to set bearing preload (how quick or slow you want the steering). The top cap bolt should be tightened only enough to take the play out of the headset bearings.

Best case you need a new star nut installed; next worst you need a new fork. Worst case, the headset is ovalized from being loose or overloaded and you need a new frame.

To install a threadless fork:

1) Place lower bearing on fork crown race, grease liberally
    2) Install fork into frame, place upper bearing in upper bearing race, grease liberally
    3) Install rest of headset onto steerer
    4) Place spacers as needed
    5) Install stem, do not tighten clamping bolts, there should be ~2mm of space between top of steerer tube and top of stem (I prefer a 1.5mm spacer on top of stem)
    6) Install top cap and top cap bolt
    7) Tighten top cap bolt until there is no more play in the headset, do not over tighten
    8) Align stem and fork, tighten stem clamp bolts to specified torque.

If this happened before and the headset won't stay tightened it's likely the headtube is ovalized. Hopefully it's just the star nut and/or fork.

Top cap bolts on threadless stems are not like quill stem bolts. Quill stem bolts are tightened 10-12Nm, whereas top cap bolts are in the 10-20 in/lbs range

mtbr member
    You know what I meant.

blockphi, I get that a lot on my fatbike. If I don't tighten the valve stem REAL GOOD it leaks air. It almost seems like the top of the threaded part can unscrew but I haven't thought to look at it at a convenient time.
    The valve may have a leaking valve core. If it has a removable valve core.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

I really debated tapping on his window and calling him names. But I didn't.
    Sigh Edmonton....

But I like the first comment of "are you drunk"....

But I like "geez how drunk are you" better....

I think kicking the car is better than tapping on the window...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The only time I had someone pass me on the lawn was when I was at a stop sign and some cranky lady decided I was taking to long and thought the grass was a turning lane.

mtbr member
    Newf, that's some insane stuff! I have zero problem calling anyone out. It's both a blessing and a curse. I've found the hard way that far too many here in Florida are willing to run me over, possibly deliberately.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    But I like the first comment of "are you drunk"....

But I like "geez how drunk are you" better....
    After experiencing l'esprit de l'escalier on more than a few occasions, I've thought hard about what my "default" insult should be. And fat@ss is okay, but it's not always appropriate. So I like a flabbergasted "Are you drunk?!?!" because it could/should put them on the defensive. Unless they're a stoned sociopath, like this guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    snow hit! tons of fun!!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!