Page 322 of 420 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332372 ... LastLast
Results 16,051 to 16,100 of 20998
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla: "Only place I can think of that you can ride water to water in a single day."

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Go big or go home!!! Do it at the widest point! If you go narrow, that is the same as riding across the pan handle of Texas and claiming that you biked across the state of Texas. NOPE!!!!
    My original post was because I thought that there were other places to ride coast to coast unthought of by Texan-n-Fla and I thought that the answers provided some for fun and a geographical teaching moment. My claim that you can do that in both the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan was based solely on the condition of riding coast to coast. I contend they still do.

No claim was made By Texan-n-Fla of riding across Florida at the widest point. In fact, that would be from say, St Augustine to just past Pensacola. That is about 400 miles and not doable in a day in daylight by bike. So are you suggesting he go home because he isn't going big enough? Obviously not. That would be rude.

So where did you get the concept that my solution to coast to coast requires riding the widest point of Michigan? I provided a means to do ride coast to coast in Michigan. Sure, there is a bit of corner cutting to do so, but that is part of the fun in my proposal. I see absolutely no reason that you get to add extra conditions and ruin a fun solution.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Too serious man, you are wayyyyy too serious.

Anyway, no commute for me today. Just not in the cards. Maybe tomorrow.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

mtbr member
    Never sure if linking to facebook will work or not, but someone posted this last night, and it was pretty much my commute:

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155105914635133" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155105914635133">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/ShaneGaboury1">Shane Gaboury</a>.</div></div>

mtbr member
    Cool! While I miss seasons, and cold, and snow, I thank God I don't have to deal with that. I can only imagine driving...
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    Baby boy
    Pretty good. 30-35F. Today as I was pulling away from the bike rack some dude that TenSpeed would describe as "ass deep" in his phone made a random turn from his direction as I was passing him. I almost hit him and he got all huffy about how I almost hit him.

Get over it. Get off your phone. Ugh. Blargh.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    +1 rep for remembering that I said that.

NDD
    Baby boy
    It was one of those phrases that I might say is "right up my alley "... Wait does that sound weird?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    First real commute on ice on the Unit. I got home with much more faith in single speed than I had imagined, and an unshakable faith in these noisy tires. I will still be going 1x9 for the rest of snow- tire season, but I am not giving up my Nicotines until Lent.

mtbr member
    ^ where are the pics, already?!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pics? Who, me? I'll get some up next week after we add the gears, for now it is stock except for the tires and tupperware, and an Axiom front fender I stuck on today but didn't photograph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_0072.jpg  

How was your commute today?-img_20150118_134225546_hdr.jpg  

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It was one of those phrases that I might say is "right up my alley "... Wait does that sound weird?
    LOL

This commute concludes my "Winter Bike Shootout"
    The Candid Cyclist: Winterbike Shootout: Fat Vs 6er Vs 9er

mtbxplorer, RollingRunner and I will be looking for you on Sunday. Don't avoid us like last time. The weather compared to last year is looking relatively awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Today makes my first "perfect" week of the year. Drove one day a week for the first two weeks because of weather. Had to earn it this week on Wednesday when it was cold and wet and snowing.

So far the bike is winning with 13 commutes vs 2 for the car. Pretty happy with that for the "off season".

mtbr member
    Cold feet this morning but the $30 tights from amazon seemed to work well enough down around 20. May need to get a new pair of hiking boots, or just put clipless pedals on my commuter so I can wear my lakes.

Paths were clear for once, so I can forget about tracking down all the stuff I need for DIY studding for a while. Or not, there's a good bit of snow in the forecast tonight that will probably clog them back up for a while.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    LOL

mtbxplorer, RollingRunner and I will be looking for you on Sunday. Don't avoid us like last time. The weather compared to last year is looking relatively awesome.
    Ha, I was right there next to rollingrunner cheering you (and others) on after I completed my lap - only I did not know it was her, or you with all that stuff on. And you were probably still out suffering in the cold and wind by the time I had my chili and left. I was thinking of bailing this year as I haven't put in too much trail time or climbing, but I've been leaning toward going after a fun ride last night.

CB of the East
    Oh, why not. You're only signed up for the 8 miler. Send me a PM to let me know if we should be keeping an eye out for ya.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Will do! Should see you there with my commuter green helmet and anno blue Fatback!

Commutes were good today 10-23F, and a major traffic enforcement push tonight on my route with 3 cars pulled over within 1 mile, unprecedented!

Moderator Moderator
    LOL

This commute concludes my "Winter Bike Shootout"
    The Candid Cyclist: Winterbike Shootout: Fat Vs 6er Vs 9er
    Great report. Funny how rides can feel so different in effort and surefooted-ness, yet only come down to a 5 minute time difference. Does this mean we really only need 1 bike?!?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ^ One bike and a back- up, for when the one is in need of repairs, or when the roads are really clear and a road bike is called for. Even having made that N+1 argument, my commute on the Unit with snow tires is within the Bedwards observed range of 5 minutes difference from my theoretically faster fair weather bike under fair weather conditions.

Bedwards, thanks for the "shootout." I am seeing the inverse between a 26" Raleigh rigid mtb and the 29 inch Unit. The Winter Marathons on the Raleigh are great for patches of ice but not great for snow and slush, while the Nicotines on the Unit seem to offer limit-less grip. I am willing to believe that 26" is the better platform, I just want to see a shootout with comparable tires.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Cold and windy. Pretty sick of this thaw - freeze - thaw - freeze cycle that we are currently in. MUP closest to me has been plowed and salted, but there is still a good part of it iced over. The second one I have not checked since I am pretty sure it is still a skating rink. The closer one is in a county park so it gets maintained quicker and a little better.

Got buzzed by two *ss bags in a Ford Focus, not once, not twice, but three times. I passed them because I had the lights timed just right. Couple of real d-bags in the car, could tell just by the way they were acting. I also got salmoned near campus, by a car. They flew around me only to have to almost slam on their brakes for a stop sign. I was going close to the speed limit. Not sure what that was all about.

weirdo
    Uneventful commute. Good luck to the fat racers this weekend.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Great report. Funny how rides can feel so different in effort and surefooted-ness, yet only come down to a 5 minute time difference. Does this mean we really only need 1 bike?!?!
    Nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    ^ One bike and a back- up, for when the one is in need of repairs, or when the roads are really clear and a road bike is called for. Even having made that N+1 argument, my commute on the Unit with snow tires is within the Bedwards observed range of 5 minutes difference from my theoretically faster fair weather bike under fair weather conditions.

Bedwards, thanks for the "shootout." I am seeing the inverse between a 26" Raleigh rigid mtb and the 29 inch Unit. The Winter Marathons on the Raleigh are great for patches of ice but not great for snow and slush, while the Nicotines on the Unit seem to offer limit-less grip. I am willing to believe that 26" is the better platform, I just want to see a shootout with comparable tires.
    Tires are probably most of it. Although the higher center of gravity, larger overall heel diameter that the studs get spread out on and further distance to fall are considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Uneventful commute. Good luck to the fat racers this weekend.
    Thanks, we'll go tear it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Threw a rack on my bike this evening to get some old work uniforms back to work. Don't want to waste a ride by car just to turn in ten old uniforms.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy and cold again. MUP that is further from me is a sheet of ice. I rode in some plow tracks that are actually in the grass off the MUP. Cut into the neighborhood to avoid the rest of it. The wind was just kicking my butt today for some reason. New bar ends and stem setup are pretty good. Ride home was somehow windy as well. Used the chemical hand warmers again since the wind chill was near zero. These things work pretty well for me. Adjusted my route home to try to add some elevation.....was happy when I saw that I had a new accomplishment on Strava...was not happy when I saw that I was 108/125 on a new segment for me.....back by about 7 minutes compared to the KOM. This is what I didn't want to think about. Damnit

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awkward standoff this morning. A driver at a stop sign was creeping out into the road where was trying to make a left turn. It seemed that every time I tried to go, the driver would start moving again and positioning as if they were going to cut me off. The driver was almost entirely in the road. I still feel a little hoarse from yelling. Maybe it was overkill, but I didn't want to get hit and I'm a bit on edge this morning since my son decided to wake up at 4am again and scream until it was time for me to wake up (4th morning in a row doing this). Errr...not sure what to do about my son, but I'd advise cars from doing anything stupid. Or else...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh, I was running my new Radbot 1000. I know it's not a newest light on the market, but it was pretty cheap and is brighter than my PB Superflash, which probably 7 years old now. I like the zZz Pop pattern. I am trying to figure out the best way to mount my Superflash to my backpack, so I could run it steady in the morning.

mtbr member
    Cold, wet, and windy this morning. Checked the weather and it said nothing about rain, but not even 5 minutes in, it started coming down. I was completly caught off guard, and made the next 10 miles soaked to the bone. Pisses me off... I'll be fixing it when I get home tonight, making sure that something like this doesn't happen again.

Sock, how old is your boy?
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Sock, how old is your boy?

Nah, just kidding. 18 months.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    18 months.
    Oh man, could be any number of things. Hopefully it calms down soon. Although, I get up at 4 am, so it's not a huge deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Snowy.

I'm just south of the really bad stuff that's supposed to be rolling in. Be careful up in the Northeast.

guy
    No ride for me today as I'm recovering from an active weekend. Took a spill on Saturday falling off a teeter totter at Ray's so I'm a bit sore and most of my right arm is bruised. I'll probably be back in a day or so.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this morning. A bit chilly - 0F at my house and -1 in town. Last night before bed I recorded -11F at the house and was expecting the worst. Not too bad overall. Got the layers just about right. The hands are still a bit of a tricky bit. I'm using a thin Outdoor Research liner glove with a chemical warmer covered with the OR waterproof covers, covered with Black Diamond Guide Glove outters and that seemed to work okay for the first bit of my journey. After the bus, though, not so much. I think the liners were damp, so even with the chem warmers, my fingers got a bit chilled before they started to warm back up - just before getting to the office.

Yesterday I took an 18 miler in fresh, dry, powdery snow and temps in the low single digits. Awesome time. Wore the same hand system and didn't have any issues at all. Got home and my buff was frozen to my hair and my hood was frozen to my buff and the inside of my outer layer of pant had a nice rime of frost. I love me some winter!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey Sock - my youngest is 22 and he still screams, but it's usually when he wants money

I got squeezed against a curb by a frigging metro bus this morning. Had to hop onto the sidewalk. I had a few choice words for the driver (he ignored me). I'm going to send a note into the bus agency since I got the bus number and combined with the time/place will let them identify the driver.

It's supposed to be 60 and sunny here in Seattle this afternoon. Sorry to point that out to the folks in the Northeast. Good luck to you all.

mtbr member
    Still above freezing here this morning, and the ~2 week long warm spell is going to last a few more days. I think we've had more rain this winter than snow. Roads are clear, the grass is bare in a lot of spots, and the singletrack is sheer ice. Looks like it will be a fixie-week for me.

Good luck to the folks in the NE.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of Bill the Cat:

How was your commute today?-billthecat.jpg

I have one nerve left in my body, and you are standing on it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Oh man, could be any number of things. Hopefully it calms down soon. Although, I get up at 4 am, so it's not a huge deal.
    Yeah, he sleeps well other than this one new issue. 4am is too early for me. Say...do you babysit?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Going fixed here myself today. Roads are dry and clear and so are the bike lanes. MUP's are not, so getting out to the main road will be a bit tricky.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup and some stratetgic spare parts, and a workstand.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Yeah, he sleeps well other than this one new issue. 4am is too early for me. Say...do you babysit?
    Sure. I've got three of my own with another on the way. I'm sure one of them could keep the little tyke company.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about all this snow in the east.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Yeah, cut it out you guys!
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yeah, cut it out you guys!
    Hell no, keep it up. Snow in the east is just where it belongs

mtbr member
    CC-VT220W | CATEYE

Picked up one of these for stupid cheap today at my LBS. It was the last one they had and I was kinda looking for something backlit. Interested to give it a good run this afternoon when I get off work. Have to meet up with the wife at the super giant mega store to run some errands. Unfortunately, my shoes are still soaked from this morning, so I'll probably wrap some grocery bags around my feet for the ride home.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    They are not forecasting how many inches we are getting, they are forecasting it in feet, FEET I tell ya! The media snowstorm hype machine is in OVERDRIVE! Figures since all they've had to talk about for a week very slightly flat footballs.

For me it means I am taking the truck tomorrow. Knowing this, I rode today after the fatbike race yesterday since I knew I'd have a few days off. That was a bit of a mistake. I'll post up a race report in a day or so. I saw MTXB there too

Moderator Moderator
    Knowing this, I rode today after the fatbike race yesterday since I knew I'd have a few days off. That was a bit of a mistake. I'll post up a race report in a day or so. I saw MTXB there too
    I had the same plan today, until I remembered I had to pick up a 104 pound labrador retriever on the way home. So I drove, the legs got a rest, and then of course the dog's owner's flight was canceled. We are only getting 1' here max, be careful blizzardiers!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Well it must have been warm enough for long enough here. Smelled a skunk on the way back tonight. Didn't miss that smell.

mtbr member
    I had the same plan today, until I remembered I had to pick up a 104 pound labrador retriever on the way home.
    The picture in my mind of you wending your way up the hill with a lab on the bike is a grin maker!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good uneventful commute here today.

mtbr member
    Didn't commute home, but I did meet up with my wife for dinner about 14 miles from the office. Changed clothes in a gas station parking lot because they wouldn't unlock the bathroom. It was gorgeous out, too. Just enough chill to feel it in your lungs, but not enough to make it hurt. Got on the leader board on two Strava segments on the way there, which means I'm getting back up to where I was prior to being hit by a car in November. Glad to see my abilities coming back, and just it time to really start training for the cross Florida ride.

Found out my light is interfering with my wireless bike computer, so there's that. I have both pushed all the way to the tape on my bars which seems to be working. Might pick up some conductive shielding tape that we used to use on guitars and wrap my light with it. Not sure what else to do, really.

I'd rather be on my bike
    FAST!!! Took the fixed gear since it was clear, sunny, and for the most part dry. It felt sooo good to just pedal and go and feel like you were getting somewhere. Missed my first KOM by 8 seconds tonight on the ride home. It is 12 out currently and I am in full gear. Let it get warmer out....I think I might be able to get at least one.

Tomorrow is forecasted for the same, only colder for the ride home.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Hell no, keep it up. Snow in the east is just where it belongs
    It belongs here too! That`s why it bothers me- they keep rubbing it in!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    The picture in my mind of you wending your way up the hill with a lab on the bike is a grin maker!
    With the fat bike? Hmmm... yeah, that does paint an interresting picture. I had visions more of bici-skijoring.
    Recalculating....