Page 321 of 591 FirstFirst ... 221 271 311 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 331 371 421 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 14759
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    Super foggy for me as well. First time I've ridden in such conditions. It was definitely a little unnerving but was an overall uneventful commute if a little damper than usual.
    Every time I ride in conditions like that I think getting a brighter rear light...My second Solas should be arriving today. One flasher for he helmet, One solid for the bike.

Speaking of flashing lights. I realized about a mile into the woods today that I should have been wearing my hunter orange. I convinced myself that most deer Don't have flashing lights and headlights on their head and most don't' ride bikes. The two deer I saw this morning had neither.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'm certainly psyched that my bike took the worst of it and nobody was hurt, perhaps scared as I can be fairly frightening when I get angry, especially to a little college freshman, but otherwise unhurt.

I just spoke with my insurance provider and they instructed me to go ahead and contact her insurance company to file a claim. This is all a new experience for me that I would not like to have to do again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

mtbr member
    And a new helmet is on the list.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Raining again this morning. Sideways rain too, with the headwind

MTBX, I have often wondered the same thing although the hill I was climbing at the time is 6% to 9% grade so rolling resistance due to water was the smallest part of the overall resistance equation

vaultbrad, some good advice above. Don't be in a hurry to accept their settlement...time is on your side. And sometimes it takes a little time for injuries to show up. Absolutely take your bike to a good shop and have them completely check it over. Good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you celebrating the holiday!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not bad this morning -12 C with light freezing rain????

A front pushing warm air from the Pacific through Montana is backing up against the cold air coming down across the mountains.

Anyway 4 to 8 inches of snow then cold....

I am getting tired of this weather pattern....it makes everything feel cold and dark...

I am actually ready for a good old artic high....or a chinook of course, anything with blue sky.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Just updating my spreadsheet and realized that I crossed 6000 commute miles for the year this morning. Will soon pass my 2011 record of 6055 commute miles for a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I am getting tired of this weather pattern....it makes everything feel cold and dark...I am actually ready for a good old artic high....or a chinook of course, anything with blue sky.
    Try the Cleveland Ohio area with less than 75 sunny days a year! Been there. Done that.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Just updating my spreadsheet and realized that I crossed 6000 commute miles for the year this morning. Will soon pass my 2011 record of 6055 commute miles for a year.
    Nice! I have a long way to go to compete with that!

BrianMc

weirdo
    Totally cool, Woodway

Swimming in quarries looks like a ton of fun. I guess a lot of them don`t have a way to swim or walk out though- probably a really good idea not to fly in if you aren`t positive there`s a flight-free exit.

No commute for me today, thank God. The wind is HOWLING. I trudged out to my shed (with eyes squinted against the blowing dirt) to get a set of allen wrenches and must have forgotten to squint my mouth because now I have grit in my teeth. I`m taking my last vacation day of the year tonight and a "request off" for tomorrow, so two days for the wind to stop.
    Recalculating....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm certainly psyched that my bike took the worst of it and nobody was hurt, perhaps scared as I can be fairly frightening when I get angry, especially to a little college freshman, but otherwise unhurt.

I just spoke with my insurance provider and they instructed me to go ahead and contact her insurance company to file a claim. This is all a new experience for me that I would not like to have to do again. I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Given I was in the same situation a while back, here's my advice:
    1) Read this: What I learned after getting hit by a car while cycling | DC Rainmaker
    2) Do not minimize the injuries sustained, no matter how minor they are. I thought I would be ok after a few weeks, but I still only have 70% strength in my right arm over my left. That was from a car v. bike in July 2009. I thought it would get better, but it didn't.
    3) Insist on new for old, regardless of age or damage. If they push back, remind them that they're dealing with a bicycle, not a MV Augusta or limited edition Harley Davidson. Also include that standard "pain and suffering" measures would easily cover the cost of the bicycle for the inconvenience their client had caused you... even if it's a high end Trek Madrone.
    4) Record everything and let us know how it goes. I normally recommend getting a lawyer too, but that's personal opinion - insurance companies like to bury you in paperwork and lawyers act as an intermediary.
    5) Lots and lots of photos. Insurance companies love photos.

It also helps to have a bike mechanic in your pocket to recommend that the frame be written off, but a good mechanic will do that regardless - I usually ask them to sign a paper stating, "While there is no visible external damage, due to the stresses and fatigue induced in the frame as a result of being hit by a car, this bike cannot be deemed safe to ride." The mechanic isn't saying that it's broken, just that the frame's life has been compromised as a result of the collision and that the lifetime of the bike has been shortened.

The significance of this is highlighted by two stories, one old, one new: A few years back a friend of mine T-boned a car. He did exactly as I mentioned previously right down to the lawyer, got a payout, but continued to ride the bike. A few months later the join on the downtube and headtube began to separate with a visible crack, even though at the time of the accident it appeared fine because paint was covering it. In addition to this, when I was in Recycled Cycles last week getting fenders fitted to the Ogre, they brought in a CF bike that had a bulge in it on the downtube, barely perceptible if not for a miniscule crack in the paint job, as a result of T-Boning a car.

mtbr member
    I work every other Saturday from 9-6, and today was a scheduled day. I like weekend commutes because traffic is so much different in a good way--fewer cars and no morning or evening rush. Well, I woke up late this morning and didn't have enough time to ride. Grrrr. Was such a beautiful day. But I learned that Performance Bikes is having a 20% off this weekend so I stopped by one near work and picked up a Planet Bikes 26" Hardcore fender set for my SS commuter. So the car came in use :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    3) Insist on new for old, regardless of age or damage. If they push back, remind them that they're dealing with a bicycle, not a MV Augusta or limited edition Harley Davidson. Also include that standard "pain and suffering" measures would easily cover the cost of the bicycle for the inconvenience their client had caused you... even if it's a high end Trek Madrone.
    The same thing I learned. I should have specified the new Cinelli. On main reason I didn't was the theft magnet it would be on campus. When pain and suffering is thrown into the mix they take the cheap way out fast.

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    "Tuesday Morning Garbage Truck Hopscotch".
    That's my Wednesday. except I'm so rural that it turns into a race... he stops every quarter mile or so, and I'm trying to beat him to town. If I see a can knocked over I know that will buy me some extra time since he has to get out of the truck.

vaultbrad... (appropriate name by the way) Glad you're OK... the only insurance road I've been down is with a vehicle...the best advice is to remember that they are in the business of making everything EXACTLY like it was before you crashed. I would have no qualms pushing for a new frame/fork/whatever else you're wondering about. It's a tiny pay-out for them compared to a vehicle/vehicle accident.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting

Mountain Bike Monday

Back to the grind after 4 glorious days off from work. At 16 degrees the trails were all frozen so mud wasn't an issue.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Pretty. Not that cold here, about 22F, but a li'l bit of snow yesterday and today.
    My pics are not wanting to upload.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    pretty cool

Moderator Moderator
    Pix now working...
    In case you need any flannel for holiday gifts...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Drove today. Caught myself staring longingly at the trailhead as I drove past it.

mtbr member
    ^^ You're beginning to look a lot like Christmas, mtbxplorer! A neon green triangle on the back? Needs some green.

48 F humid and light winds. Felt like 32. Time to tape the helmet and booties for the shoes.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I dropped the MTB at the shop today to have the shocks rebuilt. Got a call later that my rear shock had a blown rebound damper . Maybe I ride it too hard? Nah. They have to send it out to Fox for a rebuild. I've got to drive a few days this week anyway. I might have another bike available for the other days.

Those quarries look a little hard for swimming.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    0 degrees, fat, dumb and happy = great beardcicle weather!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Those quarries look a little hard for swimming.
    That's the one my friend's lab jumped/fell into! Somehow he scrambled out on the first try. That one is also unappealing, because it's name, the Black Lagoon, is exactly what the water looks like. Some others have clear to blue-green water. Only one has semi-sanctioned swimming, it's allowed to continue as it's historically been used for swimming and has easier access. Sadly, shoes are needed because of the broken glass. One of the deepest/largest ones has good access at one spot and I was tempted to swim or even kayak there, but did not rally any troops to make me braver.

Zero already Jordy? Yikes! Nice (b)icilcles.

weirdo
    Aw, man. It`s been really nice here, which is... nice, of course, but looking at everybody else`s oncomming winters makes me think we`re missing ours again. We had a few attempts at snow and a little bit of rain, giving me hopes, but in general, it isn`t looking good. PLEASE some good storms this year!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    0 degrees, fat, dumb and happy = great beardcicle weather!
    Amen Brother. Walked into the office and had to break them off. Ever notice how when you build up a good set of beardcicles your face stays quite warm? Best balaclava there is!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That's the one my friend's lab jumped/fell into! Somehow he scrambled out on the first try. That one is also unappealing, because it's name, the Black Lagoon, is exactly what the water looks like. Some others have clear to blue-green water. Only one has semi-sanctioned swimming, it's allowed to continue as it's historically been used for swimming and has easier access. Sadly, shoes are needed because of the broken glass. One of the deepest/largest ones has good access at one spot and I was tempted to swim or even kayak there, but did not rally any troops to make me braver.

Zero already Jordy? Yikes! Nice (b)icilcles.
    I actually meant the surface of the water looked hard but swimming in black water doesn't sound fun. I like the clear blue green ones. It must be something about the hard water that makes them feel different. Unfortunately, it's been a while for me too.

I took the commuter through the mountain bike trails today. I can't believe I use to ride that rigid beast for all of my mountain biking. It's barbaric! 19 degrees and 4 deer on the commute.