Page 321 of 428 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371421 ... LastLast
Results 16,001 to 16,050 of 21391
    mtbr member
    Freezing rain overnight, but a full week of melting ahead.

I'm not sure why it took so long for fatbikes to take off here (3 years ago there was basically 1 in town, as far a I could tell), but there are finally enough that an LBS is putting on a triple-crown race series over the winter, and saturday was the first race:

(I was riding my only-slightly-husky bike elsewhere)

CB of the East
    I had never even another fatbike in the wild before I did The Moosebrook Fatbike Race last year. I'm signed up to do it again this year on my very husky bike. Maybe this year I'll actually see mtbxplorer there. Based on the weather we've had lately I'm guessing that it will be plenty icy. At least I have partially studded tires this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A bit icy this morning but fine.

40 minutes before time to pack up and leave and I realized I never charged my lights for the ride home. Luckily I don't really need them to see where I am going for the most part so I can run them on flashing if needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Finally had a morning commute with temps above 50F. I know it sounds nice compared to other people's but for me, is chilly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Salsa Casseroll SS.

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ Ha! Hey we all have our tolerances. Just takes some getting used to is all.

We are having an odd heat spell here. Not stoked because I know it's gonna get cold again...
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Added the hill in today to my ride. Went from 33 feet to 35 feet of elevation according to Strava. I don't know if I can handle this type of climbing. And now many of you know how and why I can ride a fixed gear to work.

Ride in was decent, over did it the last mile or so before I got to work. Had to sit down inside and catch my breath and let the lightheadedness pass. Ride home was a bit windy, and the MUP is still a mess of slick ice and half melted slick ice. Rear tire slid out on me but somehow I managed to keep it going and ride it straight out.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4001/6000

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    NDD, weren't you telling us how much you longed for cold, cold and more cold a few months back? If I am misremembering, I am sorry.

As much as I cuss the snow and slush around here, it may have saved me today. I was building up a good head of steam on one of our more serious hills when I pulled the rear brake lever and it came clear back to the handlebar. The cable had slipped free and I was free falling at about 30 mph. The melty, custard- like stuff plowed up at the road side grabbed my wheels and brought me to a stop as I fiddled with the front brake lever (which still worked) to force the tires to bite in rather than glide over the stuff. I don't want to do that again.

weirdo
    I might want to try Strava one of these days. But first I have to buy Strava receivers for all the kiddos I see on Barney and Dora bikes on my commute route so I`ll have somebody to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I don't know how, but yes, if I can, I will. I go by commutingtexan on a few other forums, so maybe I'll go with that.
    Not sure how it`s done, but others do it, so it must be possible. Ask our former NateHawk (don`t remember what he changed to) and I`m sure he`ll tell you how he went about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    And now many of you know how and why I can ride a fixed gear to work.
    I`m sure being flat makes the difference from multi-speed to fixed less drastic, but it doesn`t give you the same weather conditions every day. If I lived in Flat Stanley`s home town I might go to a single chainring, but I`d STILL have a rear derailer!
    Recalculating....

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    NDD, weren't you telling us how much you longed for cold, cold and more cold a few months back? If I am misremembering, I am sorry.
    Hmm, maybe. My memory is crap. And I do wish it would be cold, and stay that way a while. 55 one day and 24 the next isn't exactly ideal for me. It's all about getting used to it for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wore shorts and short sleeves on the way home last night because it was 55F. I felt naked out there (and white), but I'll take it. It looks to be similar weather again today, with a ride in about freezing and a ride home in the 50s. I might have forgotten my shorts at home though, so I might be sweating in tights...

mtbr member
    Temps are starting to go back down to where they should be around here. 19F this AM and 24F last night on the way home. Nothing too exciting on the commute. Took a later bus last night and it went quick and I did have a little bit more traffic to deal with on my short on-road segments, but not bad. I'm not sold on taking the later bus as that puts me to the valley bus stop at 6:10 with another 15-ish home. Makes the time at home before sleep quite brief.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Not sure how it`s done, but others do it, so it must be possible. Ask our former NateHawk (don`t remember what he changed to) and I`m sure he`ll tell you how he went about it.
    Good to know! I'll give it a go once the move has taken place. This mornings commute was good. Chilly in the 40's, but nothing too bad. Had grocery bags on my feet, which do an amazing job at cutting the wind. Wind was calm, and I had wanted to do a 27 mile beach ride before work, but I couldn't get up in time. Maybe tomorrow.

Thinking I'll change up the route home this evening. I've got one that is 18 miles of good straight segments and few traffic lights, so I can bump my average speed up and get some training in. In May, I'm riding from Ft. Pierce Beach starting at sunrise, and ending on Anna Maria Island at sunset. Only place I can think of that you can ride water to water in a single day.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

CB of the East
    ^^Is that about 170 miles? Miami to Naples would be shorter if you can avoid the gators. Not much help along the way probably.

I had my first non-fat trail commute this winter. I'd give the trails a 7. The lake was a little "sketchy". The recent rain left about 3/4" of ice over 4" of water over plenty of thick black ice. But you couldn't see the black ice so it kind of felt like you were going through every time the top layer gave way. This condition didn't present until I was in the middle. Tomorrow should be better with tonight's temp in the low teens.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    There is a whole thread on the topic!

Change MTBR.com User ID?

(NateHawk is now Harold, see above thread...)

Edit: rodar, I was thinking of changing mine to rock y rodar...what do you think

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good to know! I'll give it a go once the move has taken place. This mornings commute was good. Chilly in the 40's, but nothing too bad. Had grocery bags on my feet, which do an amazing job at cutting the wind. Wind was calm, and I had wanted to do a 27 mile beach ride before work, but I couldn't get up in time. Maybe tomorrow.

Thinking I'll change up the route home this evening. I've got one that is 18 miles of good straight segments and few traffic lights, so I can bump my average speed up and get some training in. In May, I'm riding from Ft. Pierce Beach starting at sunrise, and ending on Anna Maria Island at sunset. Only place I can think of that you can ride water to water in a single day.
    Do you live near Ft. Pierce? Ex's father in law lives in Vero Beach and I have been there a few times. You mentioned Ft. Pierce and I immediately knew where that was.

mtbr member
    I'm in Sarasota, but before moving back home to Texas, I'll be doing the sunrise to sunset ride following the Old Florida Cracker Trail.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a couple months. I haven't been on a bike in 1.5 months due to many reasons. I had Shingles, Norovirus and 2 colds over the past 6 weeks, plus some other more serious illnesses in my family which are still ongoing. That combined with the cold weather and difficulty getting motivated in the morning when it's cold and dark out, I haven't been riding. Excuses, I know...

Well I finally rode in this morning. Taking the SS was a mistake, my legs weren't ready for it, but I made it. I put on my snow tires last night because it rained over the weekend then froze. I noticed a huge crack in the sidewall of one of my Nokians which have been ridden no more than a couple hundred miles. I emailed Suomi, but I'm not expecting much.

Hopefully I'll be back on the bike at least a couple days a week!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a rough few months Straz - hope you and the rest of the fam pull through OK.

I don't know how you guys do these flat rides - I need downhills to give my legs a break!

Had to leave the bike at home to thaw yesterday after I got caught in freezing rain Sunday. Back on it today, a few sections of ice left on the paths but nothing terrible. I'm thinking about trying this pop rivet method of studding my tires though Pop Rivet Ice Tires for Your Road Bike - looks like it may be easier, and the tires I run on my commuter don't have big enough knobs to really support a screw I don't think.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member

Yup. Ice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Back on the bike after a three day weekend. Just a normal and nothing special commute. Did finally air my tires up. What a difference 20 psi makes.

mtbr member
    Good commute home. Took the long, fast route home. It's 18 miles, but takes me the same amount of time as it does going 11.5 miles through town. Almost got taken out about a mile from the house by someone who decided to pass WAY too close with oncoming traffic. Their side view mirror came inches from my bar, and I immediately dodged right to give myself more room. I tried catching up with them at the light about a half mile down, but as soon as I started rolling up to say something the light turned and they accelerated hard. I can only hope it's because they saw the error of their ways and wanted avoid confrontation from a guy who just got hit by a car two months earlier.

Speaking of, I have another MRI Thursday of my lumbar, and possibly right shoulder and hip, depending. I'm just praying that we can get some sort of answer out of the insurance company soon, because so far, they've been completely uncooperative with my attorney's office.

Hoping to wake up early enough to do the long fast route into work. Gotta get my fitness level back up for May...

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-ride-across-florida..jpg

For those of you who might be interested, this is the route we'll be riding in May. If you're in Florida, feel free to join in. SAG provided.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Feeling good in this 40 degree weather tonight. Rode the mtb since the ss is still brakeless. Unfortunately, I looked at my shadow under a street light riding home and realized I need a new chain. The tension is visibly slack. Meh...

As I was pulling away from the bike rack on campus some lil' prick decided to smart off. Keep in mind, I have a bright yellow jacket with reflective tubing, a similar helmet, front light, back light, and since it was only cool and not cold, I had some thin gloves that are black and reflective orange (which is actually pretty cool for hand signals). It's kinda over the top, but I like being seen on the roads. Actually, I feel like I want more lights some times.

Anyway, I'm starting to pedal and this dude says in a really snarky tone "Safety first" and then giggles to his buddy. I didn't have anything nice to say, so I didn't say it. Unless calling someone a vapid f*ck is nice now... Over the top, right? But that's what came to mind. Anyway, I wouldn't feel like arguing with anyone who obviously has zero perspective on commuting any other way than by car.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Also, Tex, that seems like a pretty wicked ride. Have fun! My brothers and I are thinking about something similar in the Missouri Ozarks.

mtbr Decade+
    [QUOTE=woodway;11713760]There is a whole thread on the topic!

Change MTBR.com User ID?

(NateHawk is now Harold, see above thread...)

For reasons most people know Natehawk is a very well respected poster. That, and he is a knowledgeable TOO! I don't really care alot about it, but I feel I know him. Not so sure about this Harold stuff...Natehawk forever (in more than one way!)
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

weirdo
    Only place I can think of that you can ride water to water in a single day.
    Punta Abreojos, BCS (Pacific) to Santa Rosalia, BCS (Sea of Cortez) is 184 Km according to Google maps. Sunrise to sunset makes it tougher, whichever one you do!

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    The recent rain left about 3/4" of ice over 4" of water over plenty of thick black ice. But you couldn't see the black ice so it kind of felt like you were going through every time the top layer gave way.
    Unless I misunderstand (and I don`t think I do), you have a thick layer of ice on your lake, with 4" liquid water over it, then a thin layer of ice on top of that? Far out! I didn`t know that condition was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Edit: rodar, I was thinking of changing mine to rock y rodar...what do you think
    Cool. Or if that one is already taken, maybe you can get NateHarold
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Pop-rivet studs might be the solution to my lack of mild studded 26er woes- will think about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a couple months. I haven't been on a bike in 1.5 months due to many reasons. I had Shingles, Norovirus and 2 colds over the past 6 weeks, plus some other more serious illnesses in my family which are still ongoing...
    ...Well I finally rode in this morning. Taking the SS was a mistake, my legs weren't ready for it, but I made it.
    Welcome back. I could have told you not to start off with SS!

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Also, Tex, that seems like a pretty wicked ride. Have fun! My brothers and I are thinking about something similar in the Missouri Ozarks.
    Similar to randonneuring. If you`re interested:

Randonneuring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    RUSA: Randonneurs USA
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    A beautiful morning yesterday, a few pics from the pre-commute snowshoe with the dog...
    How was your commute today?-p1050624.jpgHow was your commute today?-p1050627-1280x960-.jpgHow was your commute today?-p1050631-1280x960-.jpgHow was your commute today?-p1050629-1280x960-.jpg

The ride in was nothing to write home about, with a bit of a headwind and an excess of poor passers, one of which passed too close and then kept veering toward me while alongside. I thought it was going to be a right hook as we were near the corner, but he was either not paying attention or just being a jerk.

The ride home was nice. Thanks to lots of green lights (I think I only got 1 red) and a slight tailwind, my time approached that of the normal warm weather commute, despite the studded tires, 10F, etc.

weirdo
    ^^Number 4 FTW
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Unless I misunderstand (and I don`t think I do), you have a thick layer of ice on your lake, with 4" liquid water over it, then a thin layer of ice on top of that? Far out! I didn`t know that condition was possible.
    That was it. The lake froze solid, then it snowed, then it rained and flooded the top, then it re-froze. All better today since it was <10F this AM. There may still be a layer of water under the ice but I wouldn't know it.

Took the fatbike today for the start of my 3 day winter-bike shootout experiment.

mtbr member
    I slept in... I swore up and down last night that I would be up and going to do a nice long ride before work. And instead, I stayed in bed so long that my wife had to take me to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I slept in... I swore up and down last night that I would be up and going to do a nice long ride before work. And instead, I stayed in bed so long that my wife had to take me to work.
    That was almost me today as well. I just closed my eyes for a few minutes, which turned out was actually about 40 minutes. Managed to hurry myself around the house and get on the bike this morning. Looks like they are calling for snow for the ride home.

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM. The weather men are predicting that winter might actually come to Alaska this week. Today we were at 6F when I left my house. Anchorage is a bit warmer in places. 13F where I get off the bus, but colder in others, 4F along the creek. A bit of a shock to the system after the temps we've had to this point.

On the ride home last night I had a nice little spill. Making a righthand turn I hit a bit of slick ice and went down. The accident wasn't bad overall. Just a touch sore, but not bad. Broke on of the buckles on my pannier, but again, nothing bad. The worst part was that a car was coming in the opposite direction as what I was turning and when she saw me start to go down, she slammed on the brakes. The sound of locked up studded tires skidding on the roadway sent chills up my spine. It's good she did hit the brakes, though. I didn't slide much, but the bike did almost cross the centerline. Good times.

CB of the East
    ^^My back is still sore from my not so bad spill last Monday. Glad you or your new bike didn't get squished by a car.

mtbr member
    Glad you're okay, man.

mtbr member
    Good to know! In May, I'm riding from Ft. Pierce Beach starting at sunrise, and ending on Anna Maria Island at sunset. Only place I can think of that you can ride water to water in a single day.
    If you include the Great Lakes as 'water', there are a number of spots this could be done. There is also Vancouver Island, Nova Scotia, PEI, Long Island, Manhattan, Montreal, Britain, Ireland, the list is likely very long.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    On the ride home last night I had a nice little spill. ... I didn't slide much, but the bike did almost cross the centerline. Good times.
    Paraphrasing good landings: Any spill you and the bike walk away from is a good one.

mtbr member
    In the US, and coast to coast, I should clarify.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That was it. The lake froze solid, then it snowed, then it rained and flooded the top, then it re-froze. All better today since it was <10F this AM. There may still be a layer of water under the ice but I wouldn't know it.
    We get that every spring....The lake is frozen with snow on top....The snow melts, the melt water goes down and sits on top of the ice (I suppose it gradually freezes down there). Then at night the top will freeze up into a crusty snow layer....

As you ski along over this layer it will sometimes fail, and leave you standing in a foot of water with snow on top....

Absolulety terrifying, cause you think you have broken through the main ice layer and are on the way to swimming...

The wet pants help cover up anything embarassing that may have happened.

mtbr member
    In the US, and coast to coast, I should clarify.
    Michigan has both east and west coasts (lower peninsula, Lakes Michigan and Huron) and north and south coasts (upper peninsula, Lakes Superior and Michigan) that should be doable at one or more points. There is Long Island, in fact a lot of islands like some in Hawaii, that would meet the criteria. Still, point taken that is somewhat unusual and if you add subtropical, then it is likely unique in the continental US for the mainland.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Across Michigan in one day on a bike? That is a hell of a ride. 240 miles wide at the widest points. You are looking at about 225+ miles or so. Sun up to sun down? That's gonna be a pretty impressive pace I would imagine. You would have to do it west to east with the wind at your back.

Moderator Moderator
    My own commute was a non-starter as my dog that was so good yesterday took a flyer, after a deer I presume, on our morning snowshoe. The gps tracker showed he got .63 miles away in the woods before turning around, and by then it was too late to ride. The groomer had been by on the snowmo trail and it was totally smooth and hard packed, would have been a crazy fast trail ride (had I gone in late), but I only got my snowshoes on it.

^^Number 4 FTW

Took the fatbike today for the start of my 3 day winter-bike shootout experiment.
    Looking forward to that report.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    On the ride home last night I had a nice little spill. ...and when she saw me start to go down, she slammed on the brakes. The sound of locked up studded tires skidding on the roadway sent chills up my spine. It's good she did hit the brakes, though. I didn't slide much, but the bike did almost cross the centerline. Good times.
    Yikes, sounds scarey, glad you are OK. Also, I loved the labeled "ICE" trail pic!

mtbr member
    We've had a couple days of freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw, and then last night it cooled off a bit which solidified everything up. So the ride in this morning was pretty slick.

But then this afternoon we got freezing rain - and wow. I don't know how slippery it actually was since I wasn't pushing it, but the world should not be this reflective. And taking the dog for a walk when I got home, she kept slipping out all over the sidewalk.

I'd rather be on my bike
    This "winter" has been crazy. I use the term winter loosely. Unsure if I will commute tomorrow with this weather. Hovering around freezing and freshly packed down side streets make it just dangerous. Finding the right tire pressure for the fat bike is very hard to do. The right pressure for dry streets is not the same as it is for snow and ice covered roads. Low pressure on dry roads and the bike feels sketchy like the tire might just roll right off the wheel. High pressure on hard pack snow makes it feel like a skating rink.

mtbr member
    Taught bible study tonight, so my ride was to the parish rather than home. Nice easy ride, didn't overdo it, and it was nice and quiet, which is always appreciated. Took my fenders off, since it looks to be dry for the next week or so. They only take a few minutes to slap on, and I don't see a reason to constantly run around with them if it's not raining. Switched my Camelbak Mule over to my larger 30L hydration backpack. Needed a little more carrying room, especially for tonight. Plus, I'd rather have an empty backpack and have the room to carry what I need to carry than not have it at all. Especially when the pregnant wife calls on my way home to ask to pick up her latest craving. Last night it was homemade tacos, so I had to figure out how to fit tortillas, stuff for pico, some salsa verde, sour cream, and other necessities. Better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Across Michigan in one day on a bike? That is a hell of a ride. 240 miles wide at the widest points. You are looking at about 225+ miles or so. Sun up to sun down? That's gonna be a pretty impressive pace I would imagine. You would have to do it west to east with the wind at your back.
    Who said anything about doing it at the widest point? Google Maps indicates that Rogers City or Cheboygan to Petosky looks doable and the biggest issues the lack of roads and quality of them maybe? The distance is no issue to do in half a day in the UP and a day in the south. A couple of numbered routes there do the trick if they are rideable. I have driven across the width and the length of Michigan numerous times. I am aware of its size. Coast to coast in a day is possible. You just have to pick the right route.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Go big or go home!!! Do it at the widest point! If you go narrow, that is the same as riding across the pan handle of Texas and claiming that you biked across the state of Texas. NOPE!!!!

CB of the East
    I think Key Largo would be the easiest place to go "coast to coast"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Absolulety terrifying, cause you think you have broken through the main ice layer and are on the way to swimming...
    Yup, even knowing full well that there should be a foot of ice down there somewhere it is a very uncomfortable feeling. I was mostly able to shuffle along with the bike trying to equalize my weight between it and my feet. Good practice for the real thin ice emergencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My own commute was a non-starter as my dog that was so good yesterday took a flyer, after a deer I presume, on our morning snowshoe. The gps tracker showed he got .63 miles away in the woods before turning around, and by then it was too late to ride. The groomer had been by on the snowmo trail and it was totally smooth and hard packed, would have been a crazy fast trail ride (had I gone in late), but I only got my snowshoes on it.
    Too bad, the trails sound as perfect as they have been here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Looking forward to that report.
    One more bike to ride.
    Here's a preview: Yesterday's ride was fun on the fatbike but today's ride was even funnerrer. The trails around here are pretty darn perfect if you have studs.
    This "winter" has been crazy. I use the term winter loosely. Unsure if I will commute tomorrow with this weather. Hovering around freezing and freshly packed down side streets make it just dangerous. Finding the right tire pressure for the fat bike is very hard to do. The right pressure for dry streets is not the same as it is for snow and ice covered roads. Low pressure on dry roads and the bike feels sketchy like the tire might just roll right off the wheel. High pressure on hard pack snow makes it feel like a skating rink.
    There is no one right tire pressure for a fatbike, unfortunately. What's good on trails and snow sucks on roads. I usually try to compromise for my commutes since I'm on both and too lazy (or late) to get off and adjust them.

mtbr member

There is no one right tire pressure for a fatbike, unfortunately. What's good on trails and snow sucks on roads. I usually try to compromise for my commutes since I'm on both and too lazy (or late) to get off and adjust them.
    True 'dat. Most of the time I keep mine really firm because the trails are so packed and the valley portion of the ride is generally on pavement, even in the winter.

Good ride in this AM. Got to see some really stunning Aurora against perfectly clear skies with some great stars out. Beautiful. The weather report calls for 5 to 12 inches of snow overnight, starting around 4 this afternoon with more snow forecast for Friday and Saturday as well before we drop into a deep freeze on Sunday and Monday. I'm looking forward to that if it actually pans out. Right now in town the skies are clear, but I do see a huge fog bank over Cook Inlet, so some moist air is definitely pushing up.

mtbr member
    Warmed up (?) overnight to 45F. So the roads are all pretty clear, but the mups are like curling rinks, and my dog was still all over the place this morning. Hopefully today will be sunny enough to burn some of this stuff off.

Ride Everything
    In a word, messy.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything