Page 320 of 421 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast
Results 15,951 to 16,000 of 21027
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Why, does that stop A-holes from blowing horns when they get right next to you?
    The way I read it, she was suprised by the truck?

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Monday was actually the first time I've been knocked off my bike by a car in 10+ years. Minivan pulled alongside on a sidestreet and then just moved over into me and pushed me sideways until I was at the curb. There was about an inch of snow on the road at the time but IMO weather and road conditions were not factors.

The entire mishap was at low enough speed that I stayed on my feet, but had to drop the bike in the snowbank, and I was far more irritated than scared.

Would have made a fun headcam video for the interwebz, but I didn't have it on...
    These are the stories that make me want something expendable and hard to throw. That and people who yell at or threaten riders. But I'm edgy and irresponsible lately.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    -4F this morning which is by far the coldest air temp I have ever attempted to ride in. Only made it about a half mile before I realized my rear derailleur wouldn't shift to harder gears. Of course, I tried down shifting to see if that freed it up, which then left me in my granny gear from which I couldn't get out of. So I turned around, packed the bike in the car and drove to work.

I'm planning to stop at the local co-op this evening on my way home to pick up some new cables, as I'm assuming that's the problem. They are old and haven't been replaced in 3 or 4 years of hard single track riding on this bike. Can extreme cold stop cables from working?
    Water is not your friend. Are you able to run full length housing? A much better option in nasty winter conditions.

guy
    If water enters the cable housing either directly or through melting snow, it can re-freeze and bind it up. New housings wouldn't hurt since you are having problems.
    Now that you mention it, this is probably what happened. I took this bike for a snowy singletrack ride on Sunday morning, then immediately hung it in the garage when I got home, which certainly would have enabled the melted snow to get into the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Water is not your friend. Are you able to run full length housing? A much better option in nasty winter conditions.
    The bike wasn't originally designed for it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. A couple of zipties should do the trick.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Only because it honked. Dump trucks generally can't sneak up on me.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Ride after work was fun. Took off worth early and went over the bridge to surprise my wife and kids at my eldest's therapy office. He got a big kick out of it.

Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 55 with 10 mph head winds, and 60 something with 17 mph tail winds with gusts around 24 mph. Hoping to feel like a pro on the way home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-uploadfromtaptalk1421289266158.jpg  

Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Minivan pulled alongside on a sidestreet and then just moved over into me and pushed me sideways until I was at the curb. There was about an inch of snow on the road at the time but IMO weather and road conditions were not factors.
    Damn! That sounds scary as sh1t- sure gald you weren`t squooshed in the deal! The "snow" threw me. For some reason I thought you were in the Philippines, had to check your profile.

Glad you had a good ride home today, Texan. Keep on rolling
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First commute back since being sick. I have worked the past 2 days but didn't feel up to riding. Usually bugs like this come and go pretty quick, but this one lingers for a while. My stomach is still not always quite right.

In other good news, I scored an almost new Serfas True 250+ on eBay for like $17 shipped (the battery cap was scratched, but everything else was pristine). It's not the brightest light, but it's good quality and worked perfectly on my way in this morning. Between an old PB Blaze on flash mode and the Serfas on high, I feel visible enough, and I can see where I'm going in the dark without blinding everyone, as I felt I was doing with my other lights.

mtbr member
    Today was my first ride on my rebuilt (again) trek that I've had for I think over half my life now. I really like it, the drop bars / high stem stretched out the cockpit just enough, feels great. I'm hoping to use it the way people use long haul truckers and similar bikes. Which I kind of already did but now it has drop bars which feel more appropriate.

A few nasty ice spots I had to walk today (biggest one was on the closed bridge I cross) but other than that smooth sailing. Loving the warmer temps we're having lately, it truly does feel like a heat wave. Hoping it gets warm enough over the next couple days to melt away some of the ice, though I'm not sure the water would have anywhere to go...
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I read that jack-off did it to get a rise out of her. Even riding with a mirror, if somebody pulls up next to me and lays on the horn it's startling.

I had no such problems today because my commute was mostly on snow covered trails. They've finely got some snowmobile traffic to pack them down and are riding better. Temps were substantially warmer than forecast. My legs still feel a little sluggish even after a day off. I think it's from rolling fat for the last 2 weeks.

guy
    The cable issue with my mtb yesterday was the motivation I needed to finally finish the hybrid that I bought in the spring and have been slowly converting to a drop bar commuter. Finally finished it last night and gave it it's maiden voyage this morning. 8F with a "feels like" temp of -5F and had very few issues. The bike worked great. The only issue I had was finding room on the bars where the lights wouldn't be obscured by the cables/thumbie shifter. Also, I think the seatpost was slipping a bit, but I can adjust the collar before heading home tonight.

Had to walk a section of the commute today. The metroparks staff didn't clear the footpath that crosses the freeway so it was 4-5 inches of stale snow. If i was on the fat bike it would have been fine, but I wasn't so I walked. It was nice to be back on the bike!

mtbr member
    A good ride in today? Sorta. Swapped over to my egg beaters last night as it wasn't forecast to get under 40F overnight or today and the 400gram winter boots - a bit warm in those temps. So I got up this morning and, indeed, it is in the 40s at my house. And raining. Light rain, not enough to warrant full rain gear, but enough to ensure that my water resistant clothing items would be wetted out by the time I got to the bus. This isn't Portland or Seattle. This is Alaska. It shouldn't rain in January! WTF?

A bit windy up in the valley again as well. Last night was 18 MPH, this morning about the same. Just enough to drive the rain into my face.

Town was decent riding. The roads were a touch slick given that it rained over night, but the MUP was awesome tacky riding. Good grip and a generally fast conditions - I think I made the short route in just a touch under 12 minutes. Not a bad pace on the fully loaded fatty.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    ...This isn't Portland or Seattle. This is Alaska. It shouldn't rain in January! WTF? ...
    Blame the wobbly polar vortex. Whenever AK is in a warm spell the US seems to be below normal. We haven't been above freezing even for a minute since around Christmas if memory serves. We are supposed to get a 40F January thaw on Sun-Mon and then it's back to our normal winter temps.

mtbr member
    Blame the wobbly polar vortex. Whenever AK is in a warm spell the US seems to be below normal. We haven't been above freezing even for a minute since around Christmas if memory serves. We are supposed to get a 40F January thaw on Sun-Mon and then it's back to our normal winter temps.
    Wobbly wobbly. The funny thing is I am generally okay with the temps - it makes it much more enjoyable to be out there for hours and hours riding around. I just wish we had more snow. I guess, though, I won't complain and I'll just deal with what we've got. It just means I have to drive a bit to get to trails that do have snow - This weekend I'm thinking of heading up to Willow AK to ride a bit of the Iditarod trail that the sled race is held on each year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm having a decent start to the year as far as commuting goes, 4 days a week on the bike and 1 day in the car for the first 2 weeks. Wouldn't mind if the temps got above freezing so I could take the cx bike out instead of the SS. My cold weather clothes always want to go into the drivetrain on my cx bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Standard commutes this week. High 30s in and high 50s to low 60s home.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good ride in today? Sorta. Swapped over to my egg beaters last night as it wasn't forecast to get under 40F overnight or today and the 400gram winter boots - a bit warm in those temps. So I got up this morning and, indeed, it is in the 40s at my house. And raining. Light rain, not enough to warrant full rain gear, but enough to ensure that my water resistant clothing items would be wetted out by the time I got to the bus. This isn't Portland or Seattle. This is Alaska. It shouldn't rain in January! WTF?
    I tried to send you some snow via rep, but it says I most spread it around first.

Moderator Moderator
    A good ride home at 11 F after a few feeble work-car attempts this week. First one car's tire went flat in my dooryard, so I didn't dare take it any further than the tire shop (so no ride home or in to work). Then yesterday I couldn't open the key cabinet and it was already 6:15pm, so I ran down the hill through the woods for the bus instead so the dogs could be let out quicker. Ran for the bus again this morning so that I could ride home...phew. Putting off that fieldwork until next week, who knows what would happen if I tried another car tomorrow. The car flat that I took in to be fixed (1 hour wait), was flat again today!

NDD
    Baby boy
    36F on the way home. Feeling like a heat wave. All next week is supposed to be warm, too. Huh. I just wish the night commutes were the same temp as the morning ones so I didn't have excess clothing.

Finally used one of the tool kit work stands they installed on campus. I actually park the bike next to it every day, just in case. But the cable on my front der kept going slack (friction shifters) so I tightened the screw where the lever is held onto the down tube. I really appreciate how quiet the single speed setup is once it's set up right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I tried to send you some snow via rep, but it says I most spread it around first.
    It is the thought that counts, though, so I appreciate that and am willing to take anyone's extra snow off their hands. PM me and I'll give you the address to ship it to

Good, fast ride in this morning. Left later than normal given that I normally don't come in on Fridays and that I had to get my oldest on the bus to a ski meet in Fairbanks. Got to town and had other cyclists to contend with. Unfortunately, I fear that my riding style may have been construed as CAT6 racing, but I was just feeling on my pace today. Passing the guy on his Surly Disc Trucker, though, did make me feel a bit faster than normal...

mtbr member
    Friday morning coffee again with the other cyclists, and temps just nicely a little below freezing.

From the coffee spot I take my old route to work, and of course some ******* in a cayenne has to try to right hook me as I dismounted to cross at a cross walk. I was sooooooo close to pushing my studded front tire into his rear fender as he drove past, but I didn't, but I should have.

CB of the East
    TGIF, I skipped the trails due to their softish condition, my tired legs, my over sleeping and a few stops for pictures. It was a pretty morning out there:The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Been lurking, riding when I can...

Random Moose Detour:

Random Creek Overflow, yes, its January and 40+ degrees...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^The detour looks advisable! Great pix Jordy and Bedwards. It was particularly pink here this morning as well. The ride in was good and close to 20F I think. The ride home was 7F and dropping, with a stiff breeze that fortunately was mostly a tailwind, or at least not a headwind. Overall, people were ruder than average and the roadways have been cleaned up poorer than average. Pretty slow, an hour for my 8 miles with lights and a stop at the bank. The crazy sideways whiteout snowsqualls fell while I was at work, bad enough to draw people to the windows, to see...nothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ****ty ride to work at 5am couldn't find my gloves my hands were frozen couldn't even feel my brake handles

weirdo
    Warm this morning, and a tail wind pushed me right along. Probably my fastest commute in a few months.

BrianMc, are you tuned in? We haven`t heard from you in a while.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    BrianMc, are you tuned in? We haven`t heard from you in a while.
    Turned on, and dropped out, too!

Headed out in a bit. Warmer here. Rode yesterday and had angina right off the bat. Sux. A nitro pill settled it. High BP issues have kept me off the bike a lot lately.

mtbr member
    Great ride home yesterday and today. Yesterday, it dawned on me that I have two 100+ mile rides in the coming months, and I've completly forgotten about training. So, yesterday, I took the long way home of 18 miles. Did the usual 12 mile route home today, but both were really cranked up in intensity.

Weather has been beautiful lately. It's a shame we'll be leaving Florida soon, but I'm looking forward to hills and a change of scenery.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member

Not quite dead yet

It got above 50 today but with 20-30 mph winds. Was about 10-12 mph outbound and 20-22 coming back. Proof that I rode:

Boring, I know. No single track. I forgot to stop down the exposure, but I liked that tall shadow straight ahead of me racing me home. Also happy they are keeping the speeders in check and I was not the person feeding the bears today.

I'd rather be on my bike
    An unseasonal warm day here, 42F by the time I got to work. Things were melting, but the roads were mostly dry. New cockpit setup on the fat bike is like night and day. Very happy with how it turned out. Felt very comfortable yet aggressive enough to keep me happy. This frame might be a smidge on the small size for me, with my super long torso and super short legs.

Ride home was windy, wet roads, icy back roads, raining snow, and the MUP right outside my complex was a sheet of ice. The snow melted off the top, exposing the skating rink underneath. I had to walk it most of the way once I got to that short path. Made up for it by attempting to ride a bit of single track behind the complex. That was a slushy mess that had me battling to keep the bike going.

I know that I complained a lot about the Specialized Defrosters that I got, but after having worn them a bit now and finding the right socks....they are nice. I tested their waterproofness? tonight walking in ankle high snow. Feet were dry as the desert.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

Headed out in a bit. Warmer here. Rode yesterday and had angina right off the bat. Sux. A nitro pill settled it. High BP issues have kept me off the bike a lot lately.
    Oh geez, sorry to hear, take care BrianMc!

It got above 50 today but with 20-30 mph winds. Was about 10-12 mph outbound and 20-22 coming back. Proof that I rode:
    Nice! I would not look forward to battling those winds in such an open area.

weirdo
    Cheers, Brian! Good luck keeping your BP on check. The short gaps in your rumble strips look handy!

And good luck on your early season training, Tex. I take it you`re getting ready to move permanently from FL?

I don`t think we`ve gotten into the 50s lately, but on the low end we`ve been dandy. Haven`t dropped below freezing in a week or so.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

And good luck on your early season training, Tex. I take it you`re getting ready to move permanently from FL?
    Yeah, we moved to Florida 3 years ago looking for a better opportunity than what I had at the time in TX. We said we would give it a year, and see what happens. Well, now we're in a position to go back home. The company I work for approved my transfer to a thriving service center with the opportunity for more money. We'll be closer to family, and I'll finally have some hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Nice! I would not look forward to battling those winds in such an open area.
    Yes, home is in a wooded area of creek valleys and about 2 miles in a straight line from the video at a 30 degrees to the right. It is almost always a shock to discover how windy it is away from windbreaks. This was a rare ride where it was into my teeth out bound and straight behind inbound. Gusty crosswinds that vary over 45 degrees or more are a real handful on this stretch.

Cheers, Brian! Good luck keeping your BP on check. The short gaps in your rumble strips look handy!
    They have some poorly placed/missing gaps in places. Two in particular require my moving into the right lane. Worst case, I ride through the strip. The padded gloves, bar tape, and the SOMA tires make this less excruciating than the Panaracers with the Kevlar belts even though I am using 28's instead of 32 mm. That shake up can require a fender or light adjustment afterward, though. It feels like the eyeballs are still bouncing.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Kind of messed up today. All paved paths were just a half melted slush fest with ice underneath. Skipped those and crossed the railroad tracks and rode the rocks alongside the tracks. One side of the tracks looks it has been travelled by vehicles of some sort, so there is more than enough room if a train came by. Did about a mile and some change of that and then got into a neighborhood. Wind was blowing pretty hard and I had to work for the miles today unlike yesterday. It was a nice 34F when I went in.

It is about the same temperature now, and was snowing for the ride home. The roads had a fine dusting of semi frozen ice pellets from the half rain half snow that we got earlier in the day. Once I got down by the campus, I opened it up. Strava had me at 25.1 mph on the fat bike at one point according to my app. I don't know exactly how accurate it is, but I was moving. Two college girls walking on the sidewalk said "holy sh*t Mr. Bikeman, you go!!" It sounds like a monster truck rolling down the road when I ride by. People do look because they hear me. The MUP was frozen enough to ride home and the crunching of the tires on the ice seemed like it was going to wake the dead.

I have been quietly recording most of my commutes on Strava. Some things that I found interesting, and some annoy me. I don't want to become a Stravhole, but the temptation is very hard.

1. My times. I am not racing anyone, but I see these segments that I ride, and my position on the board, and I am disappointed. Granted, the conditions and the bike are not ideal for fast times. I know the KOM of most of them, he manages the bike shop down the street from me. He is very very fast. I won't catch him.
    2. There is a whopping 33 feet of elevation on my commute. Most of you probably climb that before you leave your neighborhood.
    3. I get annoyed when the GPS doesn't lock onto me, and I get to work or home, and it recorded 0.0 miles.

CB of the East
    ^^
    1. I'm about 1/2 my summer speed on a lot of segments riding my winter bike in winter temps with winter clothes on winter roads.
    2. Wow, flat. My commute this morning reported 554ft
    3. That is especially annoying if you are feeling speedy and push to beat your time on a segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Yeah, we moved to Florida 3 years ago looking for a better opportunity than what I had at the time in TX. We said we would give it a year, and see what happens. Well, now we're in a position to go back home. The company I work for approved my transfer to a thriving service center with the opportunity for more money. We'll be closer to family, and I'll finally have some hills.
    So are you going to change your name?

I avoided crossing the lake today because we had rain and a 2 day January thaw. My guess is that there is 6" of slush on the lake. It was a good chance to take a different bike anyway.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Don't worry, Ten, that's about what my elevation change is, too. Sometimes I go take detours that I consider to be hilly, but they really aren't in the grand scheme of things, which I guess means I'm a big baby

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Worried about segment times during a commute? Shesh..

Just enjoy the ride, man.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Salsa Casseroll SS.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    Worried about segment times during a commute? Shesh..

Just enjoy the ride, man.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    This.

Now, granted I'll use my rides home as training rides for endurance things that I like to do, but I don't get upset if I don't hit PR's or take KOM from someone. I can't expect to overtake someone who is fully kitted and riding an aero bike when I'm wearing baggy shorts, a t-shirt, and a backpack.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    Worried about segment times during a commute? Shesh.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.

mtbr member
    We have a few guys down here that ate insanely fast, and it's a humbling experience for sure. I think the best thing for using Strava aa a commuting tool is to shoot for PR's when you get the chance. I had my KOM taken the other day by the owner and founder of SeaSucker, and that's cool. We've got a few junior national champs running around, and a few Cat 1-2 crit guys. No way in hell will I ever catch them, but that's not the point. The point is to better myself m

CB of the East
    ^^I hear ya, I dominate my little commuter loop but only because it's just off the beaten path of the local shop group rides. If I ride segments that are closer to the city I don't stand a chance. But it doesn't keep me from trying. So, are you going to change your moniker when you move back to Texas (my birthplace BTW)

mtbr member
    I don't know how, but yes, if I can, I will. I go by commutingtexan on a few other forums, so maybe I'll go with that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    very cautious ride in this morning

4C overnight temp

This is the second major snow chinook cycle.

We have about 4 inches of ice or car snot with ruts on the residential roads.

This morning it was wet and glaring...

Just about came of the bike 4 or 5 times....ruts with ice.

A couple of places if I would have stepped off the bike I would have gone down instantly...

Thank god for studs....even old worn out studs.

I'd rather be on my bike
    This is the exact reason I didn't want to use Strava. MapMyRide had me in a much better position as far as being fast LOL. Oh well, I am really using it to track my mileage, and I love that you can add multiple bikes since I have three that I use. I know that being on a fixed gear will severely limit my top speed and my times for some of these segments, and I realize that. Might have to add that into my name if I can figure out how to.

I also have been documenting all rides, fun and commutes on a Google document that I constantly update, which is good for when the app doesn't record my ride. It will be interesting to see the breakdown at the end of the year between bikes, and which one accumulated the most mileage. I do know that once the warmer weather hits, the fat bike will become idle.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Don't worry, Ten, that's about what my elevation change is, too. Sometimes I go take detours that I consider to be hilly, but they really aren't in the grand scheme of things, which I guess means I'm a big baby
    I am going to change my route today slightly and see if I can get to 50 feet LOL. There is a hill right after one of the turns that I take. I can add this to my ride. I call it a hill, but when you only have 33 feet of elevation change, a small hill becomes a mountain.

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM. I didn't ride at all this weekend. Didn't do much of anything. Not sure how I feel about being completely lazy, but it is what it is, I guess.

Looking forward to some good rides this week, though. And hopefully something fun this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am going to change my route today slightly and see if I can get to 50 feet LOL. There is a hill right after one of the turns that I take. I can add this to my ride. I call it a hill, but when you only have 33 feet of elevation change, a small hill becomes a mountain.
    Someone here commented that all my videos looked flat. They could not see hills. My "hills" are actually valleys caused by waterways and some long low grades as in the latest video. So they don't stick up on the horizon, At 173 feet min to max elevation, and a number of 30-50 foot valleys to ride down and climb out of. My defunct computer system did not record cumulative elevation climbed. I have no where near as flat as your situation. No foothills of the Rockies either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Boring, I know. No single track. I forgot to stop down the exposure, but I liked that tall shadow straight ahead of me racing me home. Also happy they are keeping the speeders in check and I was not the person feeding the bears today.
    I took my SS out for a road ride yesterday in similar weather. The wind was brutal on the way home. I wasn't sure I would make it up one of the climbs that is over a mile long and has a couple steep sections. It's difficult enough on a geared bike, but I had to really muscle my way up that thing. There are few flatter sections that would usually allow for gaining some momentum, but the wind zapped all of that.

Ride in was great. The sun was just thinking about coming up and the horizon was a nice purple. Ride home looks to be just as good weather-wise.

mtbr member
    Eh, I'm in Florida. I have to do a century to reach 300 ft elevation change. Although, planning out my new commute in a few months in Texas, I'll have an elevation difference of almost 800 ft in 10 miles. Gotta love Hill Country.