Page 320 of 593 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 330 370 420 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 14803
    mtbr member
    A dynamo that fits non-disc rear hubs and not requiring a wheel build has a decent review:

Sunup eco DS: (spoke mounted) rear wheel generator

Avilable here:
    Sunup Eco DS 1R Bicycle Spoke Dynamo Hub Dynamo Dynohub Alternative | eBay

Thought commuters should know of it. It would allow a twin generator system if one wanted to run daylight intensity tail lights with front dyno headlight.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Much to my frustration, a cheapo pair of safety glasses I borrowed from work have proven much better at shielding my eyes from the cold air.

Also, I suspect this is my last bikecommute day before I have to hang up the helmet for the winter. I'm not overly intimidated by the snow, but I'm rather worried by how bad people are at driving in it.

weirdo
    Peter White carries Phillps now? Ha! A friend just jumped through a bunch of hoops and paid out the wazoo for shipping to get one sent from a European distributor. He read about them in that same review and just HAD to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I always forget about Peter White... I don't know why though. It also looks like they have the E3 that I want on sale right now at the same price as that Philips...
    Oy! Talking dyno lighting in the US, how can you forget about Peter White? So you already bought the dyno? What did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    A dynamo that fits non-disc rear hubs and not requiring a wheel build has a decent review:
    Sunup eco DS: (spoke mounted) rear wheel generator
    I dunno. Almost 800g with the mounting hardware (over 10 oz more than the 3N80!) and it looks like you need to unbolt the arm in order to remove the wheel. If you don`t want to be confined to a single wheel, B&M bottle generators have been around long enough to get a mountain of decent reviews- sounds like less of a gamble to me.
    Recalculating....

Natural Born Killer
    My commute into work was very pleasant with the exception of a little thing I like to call "Tuesday Morning Garbage Truck Hopscotch". Which typically is during a hectic, uphill section of my ride. Weather has been very pleasant this week compared to last. 44 degrees when I left this morning, high today will be close to 60 and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Much to my frustration, a cheapo pair of safety glasses I borrowed from work have proven much better at shielding my eyes from the cold air.

Also, I suspect this is my last bikecommute day before I have to hang up the helmet for the winter. I'm not overly intimidated by the snow, but I'm rather worried by how bad people are at driving in it.
    How did the saftey glasses do with the fogging issue you`ve been fighting?
    Don`t forget to report back after the ice melts!

Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    My commute into work was very pleasant with the exception of a little thing I like to call "Tuesday Morning Garbage Truck Hopscotch". Which typically is during a hectic, uphill section of my ride.
    Never "been there", but I can see how it would be a PITA!
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting

I bought these: Pyramex I-Force Sporty Dual Pane Anti Fog Clear Lens Goggle and they are amazing. They eliminated my watering eyes and so far they haven't' fogged even a little. They convert between glasses, glasses w/strap & goggles.

Whatdayamean last bike commute? There'll be plenty of snow free commuting days left.

I had to take the truck today. I had too much running around to do to take the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    How did the saftey glasses do with the fogging issue you`ve been fighting?
    Don`t forget to report back after the ice melts!
    The only way I found to prevent fogging has been to move my neck gaiter down so my nose and upper cheeks are exposed while riding. I can't go without it completely as I have asthma and don't react well to breathing very cold air by mouth, but this lets air from my nose go away from my eyes, and if I hold my mouth properly I can keep the humidity from mouth-breathing away from my eyes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I bought these: Pyramex I-Force Sporty Dual Pane Anti Fog Clear Lens Goggle and they are amazing. They eliminated my watering eyes and so far they haven't' fogged even a little. They convert between glasses, glasses w/strap & goggles.

Whatdayamean last bike commute? There'll be plenty of snow free commuting days left.
    I'll keep those in mind. I'm going to order DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle - Amazon.com after the holiday to see how they work (and because I need safety glasses anyways). I'm still going to need to solve this as I want to run through the winter, and running while snow is blowing into your eyes is just no fun.

Maybe I can keep on with the bike, I'll certainly try as long as it stays precipitation-free. It's supposed to snow/slush this coming weekend though. Once the first big snow hits I'm done for the season though.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Just keep an eye open for the fashion police.

mtbr member
    Maybe I can keep on with the bike, I'll certainly try as long as it stays precipitation-free. It's supposed to snow/slush this coming weekend though. Once the first big snow hits I'm done for the season though.
    I find that after two snow storms the drivers figure it out pretty well. I can agree that in some locations with poor snow removal the first big snow presents issues that are not soon resolved, sometimes not until spring. That can be the situation here. It depends on how much snow and how cold.

BrianMc

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well, it was dry this morning, a welcome change from the juicy soaking I got both ways yesterday. My rain gauge at home recorded almost four inches of rain from when the storm started on Sunday till late Monday night.

Climbing a hill towards my house last night, there was so much water coming down the hill that it really felt like I was in a boat heading upstream. A couple times I thought "it cannot rain any harder than this", only to have it start raining even harder.

Still want a fat bike....
    Oy! Talking dyno lighting in the US, how can you forget about Peter White? So you already bought the dyno? What did you get?
    I know.... I'm dumb. I forget things.

I just got the Shimano Alfine and had a wheel built up by my local shop. Now I need to shell out the money for the light. I've never been real concerned with weight though, so I didn't look too hard for something lighter and better.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I bought these: Pyramex I-Force Sporty Dual Pane Anti Fog Clear Lens Goggle and they are amazing. They eliminated my watering eyes and so far they haven't' fogged even a little. They convert between glasses, glasses w/strap & goggles.(
    Thanks for posting those bedwards, I have been thinking about some goggles for the real cold weather and those look awesome. I think I'd pick up the amber ones since I am going to be commuting mostly in the dark pretty soon.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Saw a guy with two huskies hooked up to the front of his bike mushing along this morning. It was cool, but also kindof annoying since he was taking up the entire street. Not sure what the etiquette is, but I had to squeeze by on his right.

mtbr member
    ^^ Not covered under any bike safety program I know of. Interesting. I wonder if a human plus two dogs takes him above the power cut off for mopeds and into motorcycle territory.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Headed home. Driver blew stop sign. I had full lights and reflective strap on my torso. After grabbing a fist full of brakes and trying to avoid, I was wheel first into the front right fender, head over heels into a butt-first dukes of hazard slide across the hood with bike in tow. Fortunately, neiter myself nor the driver/passenger was injured. I tacoed my front wheel and busted my tail light. My week-old brooks is scratched a good bit and my shiny new ortlieb back roller is scuffed but ok.

Overall, I'm really glad that thats all of the damage. I have no idea if I've compromised my fork or frame. The officer helped with the exchange of information and I should be hearing from her insurance company eventually. This is a first for me. I dont want to take advantage by claiming more than I have to, but I'd hate to be riding this frame down the line and find that there was a crack developing that I didnt notice. Father says claim more than less with her insurance. What have those of you who've been in this situation done?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, Vaultbrad, glad you are OK. I'm sure I wouldn't be feeling too good after that Dukes of Hazard maneuver. I don't have any personal experience, but definitely don't sign anything until you are 100% sure you are OK, even if their insurance company sends over a pretty woman with some forms. at a minimum, you should be able to get the bike evaluated at a shop for frame damage, etc., plus replacing your broken stuff.

~Disc~Golf~
    sorry, vault brad (and don't disregard MTBX above), but what was your score?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Moderator Moderator
    The commute was the best part of work today, I made the mistake of picking up the phone when I was not even supposed to be there yet, and it went haywire from there. On the way in I took a couple pix...some of the quarries are freezing over, and how does a beaver sleep at night with this tree still standing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1000173-640x480-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1000175-480x640-.jpg  

weirdo
    Argh! Nasty, Vaultbrad . I don`t know about the insurance thing either, but I have to agree with Xplorer that you should be sure your body is okay first (how do you feel, BTW?) and at least have a bike shop check out the frame. Guessing here, but I would THINK that in order to do any real damage to the frame, your fork would be obviously twisted, bent, or smooshed. What`s your bike and build like? Is it a nearly stock model usually sold as a complete bike, a piece by piece selection, or somewhere between?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I just got the Shimano Alfine and had a wheel built up by my local shop. Now I need to shell out the money for the light. I've never been real concerned with weight though, so I didn't look too hard for something lighter and better.
    I`m sure you`ll be happy with the Alfine. I`m pretty sure the main workings are the same as in the 3N71 through 3N80, and the weight differences, which you say don`t much matter to you aren`t huge between them anyway. I don`t know how many miles I have on mine, but I`ve been using two Shimano dynos for about four years now (recently laced a third into a 20 inch rim) and love the whole idea! I am starting to wonder about the bearings, but still no signs of trouble. AFAIK, none of the common dynohubs have user serviceable bearings, so no way around that big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    My rain gauge at home recorded almost four inches of rain from when the storm started on Sunday till late Monday night.

Climbing a hill towards my house last night, there was so much water coming down the hill that it really felt like I was in a boat heading upstream.
    Speaking of wheel bearings...
    Sounds like quite an adventure. Was it fun, or just an ordeal?

ANOTHER quarry? How many are their in your area? I have to think that Mr Beaver only manages to sleep by being sure that his bed is more than the tree`s height removed from that accident waiting to happen!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Glad to hear it was only the bike Vaultbrad! Seriously, get everything checked out, including yourself. Had incidents with the bike and car and in the "excitement" of the moment really didn't get much info. Cost me a bent crank with bruised up body on the bike and a jacked up rear suspension on the car. I was young, dumb, full of adrenaline and to fast to pass judgement and didn't get a dime from either. I know better now. Ain't moving til I get ALL the info.

Makes my flat tire and walk of shame this morning pale in comparison. Broke my streak though at 48 days though which irked me. Oh we'll, new streak starts tomorrow!

Moderator Moderator
    ANOTHER quarry? How many are their in your area? I have to think that Mr Beaver only manages to sleep by being sure that his bed is more than the tree`s height removed from that accident waiting to happen!
    Tons, I can't keep them straight. Each "pond" is a quarry, and all the white and gray stuff is either a grout pile or blocks stockpiled for further cutting or crushing. Only 1 is still operating, Rock of Ages. Good story - my friend's Dad, being a frugal Yankee, cut out the middleman and picked up his own tombstone there. Then decided to keep it in his truck all winter for extra traction! Finally in the spring he called his sons to help him set in in place at the cemetery themselves.

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 11-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Woodway, funny, just recently I felt like I was biking upstream because of the waves coming down the hill, and wondered what that does to rolling resistance... and that was nowhere near 4" of rain. Hope you are drying out and not afloat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Headed home. Driver blew stop sign. ... Fortunately, neiter myself nor the driver/passenger was injured. I tacoed my front wheel and busted my tail light. My week-old brooks is scratched a good bit and my shiny new ortlieb back roller is scuffed but ok. Overall, I'm really glad that thats all of the damage. I have no idea if I've compromised my fork or frame. ... This is a first for me. I dont want to take advantage by claiming more than I have to, but I'd hate to be riding this frame down the line and find that there was a crack developing that I didnt notice. Father says claim more than less with her insurance. What have those of you who've been in this situation done?
    In my case there was no question the frame was history. The bike was a standard model with upgraded cranks and Campy/Mavic wheels. A new exact replacement frame was $350 (1981) straight tube 531. A hand-built frame (double butted 531 built for someone of my measurements was $300. The insurance adjuster said I would end up with a better bike than I had. I had to point out I was not suing for the time I spent in the hospital being checked out for a back injury, the anguish of nearly being killed, my wife's distress at seeing the destroyed bike and hearing I was taken away by an ambulance. He signed the check. I left a lot on the table. Maybe I should have pushed for the new Cinelli hanging in the shop window? So make sure your body is fine, if the frame shows any damage, replace it. Use the 'you aren't suing for the stress' as leverage. Compared to having damaged your body in an obvious way, they are getting off cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The commute was the best part of work today, I made the mistake of picking up the phone when I was not even supposed to be there yet, and it went haywire from there. On the way in I took a couple pix...some of the quarries are freezing over, and how does a beaver sleep at night with this tree still standing?
    I hate that phone-downhill day thing when it happens!

The beaver is hoping winds overnight will save chewing the rest of the way. This apparently is common for them to leave the most of the way cut through. Saves the tree falling on them if they aren't there when it falls

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ... Good story - my friend's Dad, being a frugal Yankee, cut out the middleman and picked up his own tombstone there. Then decided to keep it in his truck all winter for extra traction!
    A tombstone as dead weight. Good idea.

BrianMc

Natural Born Killer
    Vaultbrad, good luck sorting out the insurance, I'm glad everything else seems fine, besides the bike of course!

My morning commute was super foggy! It was a bit disturbing. I also didn't give my phone time to update this morning when I checked the weather. I thought it was 47 (it has been unseasonably warm, but not that warm), it actually was 37 degrees. So I was slightly under-dressed. Then when everyone else in my office showed up, they all gave me their opinion of riding in those conditions. Same thing my wife gave me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Super foggy for me as well. First time I've ridden in such conditions. It was definitely a little unnerving but was an overall uneventful commute if a little damper than usual.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Muddy Mountain Bike Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Headed home. Driver blew stop sign. I had full lights and reflective strap on my torso. After grabbing a fist full of brakes and trying to avoid, I was wheel first into the front right fender, head over heels into a butt-first dukes of hazard slide across the hood with bike in tow. Fortunately, neiter myself nor the driver/passenger was injured. I tacoed my front wheel and busted my tail light. My week-old brooks is scratched a good bit and my shiny new ortlieb back roller is scuffed but ok.

Overall, I'm really glad that thats all of the damage. I have no idea if I've compromised my fork or frame. The officer helped with the exchange of information and I should be hearing from her insurance company eventually. This is a first for me. I dont want to take advantage by claiming more than I have to, but I'd hate to be riding this frame down the line and find that there was a crack developing that I didnt notice. Father says claim more than less with her insurance. What have those of you who've been in this situation done?
    Add me to the list of people that are glad you are OK. Don't be afraid to go for anything and everything you can from the insurance company. That's what they are there for. I'm not advocating fraud but it was your bike that got crunched, your azz that slid across the hood, your time that got taken up, your body that's going to be sore... all because their client blew through a stop sign. Make sure to go for a new helmet too, EVERYBODY knows you never use the same helmet after a crash.

That said, I crashed today but I'm not going to replace my helmet. It was more of a low speed front wheel washout on some very slippery mud. Right next to my work. The next thing to hit the mud was my right side...all of it... sticky, clay like mud. I hate showing up at work a muck ball.

MTBX, those quarries look like great riding spots. How many of them have trail systems? I've always lived swimming in quarries, somehow it just feels different than swimming in rivers and lakes.