Page 319 of 608 FirstFirst ... 219 269 309 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 329 369 419 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,975 of 15177
    I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Hey CB, what gearing are you running on the Ogre? On my 29er I'm 1x8 with a 32 up front, and with the studded tires I'm never in my top gear. Just wondering if you've still got big chainrings on there?
    Funny thing...
    On the front of the Ogre I have a traditional mountain triple... 44/32/22. I had a road double 50/34 on the old commuter, but the Ogre has always had the mountain gearing.
    On the rear, I have an 8 speed cassette. On the normal wheels I have a typical 11/32 rear cassette. I bought a new cassette to put on the wheels that I set up with the studs (set up a full wheelset with cassette/brake rotors for easy swapping)... only I somehow purchased a 12/26 rear cassette on accident. So I don't have the low range that I should probably have when I have the studs on. But with the triple up front, I have been fine. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've used the 22 tooth ring up front... I like the middle ring. I stand a lot when I'm climbing. My chain lives on the big ring for the normal commute, and the middle ring for climbs. The middle ring was plenty during the one storm I've been able to really use the studs, even with the 12/26 cassette.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I haven't hit the train crossing with a stopped train for awhile. and it's a big, busy one...a 5 track crossing with trains on their way to Houston. but just watch, I'll hit it soon enough. probably when I'm on my way to give my thesis defense knowing my luck.

but thankfully if it is blocked I don't have to go 3 miles extra to get around it. it's a very circuitous route, but maybe only a mile or two extra.

this morning was brisk. I think it's time for the full fingered gloves (not insulated, but better than the 3/4's I wear most of the time. the buff was necessary to keep my ears sheltered from the wind. did a good job without overheating.

it was my first bike commute in a couple of weeks. I was in Indiana last week, and the week before that I was working from home. the temps have gone down a good bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    my first rain commute of the season and it was very refreshing. I also saw another commuter which is very rare in these parts.

local trails rider
    On the way home, about an hour after sunset, I experienced this weird feeling I sometimes get when it is dark. In places where the street lights were not too good for the bike path, it felt like I was really high above the ground. Strange...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    On the way home, about an hour after sunset, I experienced this weird feeling I sometimes get when it is dark. In places where the street lights were not too good for the bike path, it felt like I was really high above the ground. Strange...
    Like this?

"I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^

Actually I know that feeling. I have a rail trail that I ride that has a couple of fairly long tunnels... one of them is really long. Long enough that you get into pitch black in the middle, with only that circle of daylight way up ahead to sort of point at. It's a weird sensation...might as well be pedaling through outer space. It's fun if you can get past the idea that you might hit something that someone left in the trail

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Like this?
    Not quite that high...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

weirdo
    Nice to hear ftrom you, Pettime
    Hope all is till going well.

And welcome back, Nemhed!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Good things are happening for my commute. There's two really bad sections for me:

-3/4 mile stretch right near work that the has a lot of potholes and also has the most traffic of my whole commute, so it's hard to simultaneously dodge potholes and make sure I don't ride into traffic. They just finished repaving that whole area this week though. They also made the shoulders wider on a couple of the streets, so I have a much more comfortable and safe ride.

-A few hundred feet of large potholes on a narrow road with no shoulder and a fair amount of traffic in the afternoon/evening. My options are either ride in the middle of the street and piss off drivers or ride through the large potholes. My wife and I are closing on our new house on Nov 28. My commute will only be 1/10 mile longer but remove that whole crappy section.

The bad news is that we have a walk out basement in the townhouse we're in now, so I have set up a little bike workshop set up and I can bring my bikes in and out of the basement easily. At the new house, I'll either have to leave them all in the garage or bring them through the bulkhead or through the house and down the basement stairs.

mtbr member
    Straz congrats on the new house. If possible you might want to look at a small shed for a workshop. I saw a thread on that sorta thing a week or so ago. If I can find it I'll throw a link for ya.

bike storage "shed" - super high quality one, does such a thing exist?

Found it.
    Last edited by junior1210; 11-16-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: add link
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Charging, Charging, Charging, Charging

On a good day I have 5 things hanging off my work computer getting ready for the next ride.

The commutes have been uneventful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-11-16-09.54.53.jpg  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    At the new house, I'll either have to leave them all in the garage or bring them through the bulkhead or through the house and down the basement stairs.
    A garage AND a basement??? Hog heaven, man!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Leaf me be. Doggie advises on leaf removal. A big sky view of one of the southernmost fingers of the Wisconsin glaciation (flatland). No pesky, pretty mountains blocking the view of the horizon, though wood lots do some. Riding buddy does some spinning and flashing headlight flashes stop sign. Almost home. Excerpts from a nice ride.

Doggie help etc - YouTube

BrianMc

Swedetarded
    Who should have been on studs this morning? Who is retarded enough to ride Gatorskins on 19NOV in Stockholm?

<----This guy.

My skillz are strong, but, studs go on the bike tonight.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ LOL. It's painful to be scared all the way knowing you have a solution right back at home.

Dropped my diesel spewing 2006 truck off at the shop and rode in. I'm averaging about 4-5 trips between repairs on a truck that looks and drives like new and only has about 25K miles on it. I think half of the steel in that truck is the same gauge as tin foil.

weirdo
    I made up for your Gatorskin misplanning, BBG. I rode back and forth on my studs from Thur through Sat- cold and bone dry after Sat night, then wet but well above freezing for the rest. I put a pair of Sport Contacts on for last night. Aaahh...
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    No studs needed on my commute this morning. But I should have thought about some sort of personal flotation device. It was wet, very, very wet.

Still want a fat bike....
    Today was just low visibility.... FOGGY. I kept thinking about how I need to get my fenderbot attached so I have more than one light out back and that I desperately want to get some use out of my dynamo and finally get a light for it (stupid $200 price tag on the E3). Oh well, I lived.... didn't even have any close calls, so it was good all around. Much warmer than friday too, I was frozen.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Moderator Moderator
    Another crisp and clear commute. Frosty, but no studs needed yet, just a few iced over puddles that are easily avoidable. Rifle (deer) season through Sunday, but I have not heard a lot of gunfire on the commute. Bright colors are a must, though. Apparently they didn't help the guy at the roundabout who cut me off, though. He did not see me at all, even though I was in the middle of the lane.

have been doing the barefoot/underwear commute lately.

I am in final edits stages of my master's thesis and I am working with rather large files (document will be over 200 pages when done, half of which will be high res maps and other figures). my office computer only has 2GB of RAM and is also crippled in the video department.

it's a damn shame, but my almost 5yr old desktop at home crushes it. quad core CPU, 100+ GPU's, 8GB system RAM, 512MB video RAM, 2TB+ HDD space, 28" widescreen monitor.

I can actually get my work done here instead of waiting half the day for my office computer to respond. I had IT look at it a bit ago to make sure nothing was "broken" and their assessment was that it's working as well as should be expected. Come on...throw a guy a bone. Can't ya give me a RAM upgrade?

I hate computers.

I Ride for Donuts
    Off this week.... Happy Thanksgiving you all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Today was just low visibility.... FOGGY. .. I desperately want to get some use out of my dynamo and finally get a light for it (stupid $200 price tag on the E3).
    *** A little cheaper: Philips LED dynamo lights for bicycles. A very good light.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ... Bright colors are a must, though. Apparently they didn't help the guy at the roundabout who cut me off, though. He did not see me at all, even though I was in the middle of the lane.
    *** You sure it was accidental? Hard to figure him missing you i the center of his line of sight. It's not like is weather for scantily clad pedestrians to turn his head.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Off this week.... Happy Thanksgiving you all
    + a bunch. For the Canucks, belated (Columbus Day, here) Happy Thanksgiving.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

*** You sure it was accidental? Hard to figure him missing you i the center of his line of sight. It's not like is weather for scantily clad pedestrians to turn his head.
    Well, it appeared that he had looked and saw the car ahead of me turn off the roundabout, assumed that it was the only vehicle to worry about and did not re-look for the bicycle that sped into the roundabout from the feeder hill. In other words, he was at the rotary before me, but I was able to enter it safely before him when that other car passed around, so I should have had the ROW, but he did not see anything after the other car turned off. It was like his brain said “GO” once the car left the rotary.

Still want a fat bike....
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    *** A little cheaper: Philips LED dynamo lights for bicycles. A very good light.

BrianMc
    Thanks for the recommendation. I always forget about Peter White... I don't know why though. It also looks like they have the E3 that I want on sale right now at the same price as that Philips...
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    ^^ Before you order check this review site out. A lot of good info to solidify or alter your choice.

Bicycle lighting, in particular LED headlamps (headlights) with cutoff, and (hub) dynamos

BrianMc