Page 319 of 418 FirstFirst ... 219269309315316317318319320321322323329369 ... LastLast
Results 15,901 to 15,950 of 20877
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got a used Pugsley from a friend that I was commuting on this week instead of my normal commuter, since we have quite a bit of snow in Calgary. The recommendation of using ~5psi in the tires resulted in a veeeeeeeeeeery slow ride on Monday morning. By the time I got to the office, I was sweating like it was the middle of summer. That was with a -30c windchill.
    Pumped the tires up to around 20 psi and that cut the commute time in half from Monday.
    The pathways into work have been plowed and packed down enough today that I think the regular commuter with studded tires will be the best bet tomorrow.

Huckin' trails
    Ah, took the recycling out, came back in to grab my pannier bag and of course by the time I got back out my glasses were all frosted. No big deal, I head into the garage to install my bag and camera, still not defrosting. Get out of the yard with the bike, try to wipe off the lens, turns out its iced big time. Had to throw them in the bag and ride without. Those without glasses don't know how lucky they are in winter
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    We got colder again this week, but relative to most of your reports, still nearly tropical. Our lows were floating around the freezing point last week, now back down to upper teens, low 20s. Thinking about bundling up and making a motorcycle run to camp in Death Valley this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I've been making pancakes, picking bath toys out of the toilet, and dumping puke buckets. Good times. Here's to hoping I don't come down with anything...
    Hang in there, sOck. Hope the wife perks up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I think you're just an outlier, Jeffscott!
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Hey Texan, glad to see you are working out of it. It sounds pretty rough. I have 1 disk in my back that is never that happy which leads to a lot of chronic aching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    The recommendation of using ~5psi in the tires resulted in a veeeeeeeeeeery slow ride on Monday morning. By the time I got to the office, I was sweating like it was the middle of summer. That was with a -30c windchill.
    Pumped the tires up to around 20 psi and that cut the commute time in half from Monday.
    Oh, I hear you there. About midway through today's ride I turned onto the trails which were very lightly packed. I let a lot of air out (pugsley) to get as much float as possible, which worked. But the trails weren't ridable all the way to work. I was struggling to go 11mph down a hill that I usually cruise at 30 on a road bike. I'll be pumping them back up before the trip home.

It was nice to be able to hit a section of trail. Of course, it's snowing now so that might be over for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been having trouble picking the "right" bike to ride in on. Most of my commute is cleared pavement but with a couple long sections of sketchy snow/ice. 35s are great for the pavement but suck on the ice, fat bike is great on the ice but sucks on the pavement. Maybe I need studded tires, but I imagine they'd wear out fast since I ride a lot of clear pavement.

I went with the 35s today, had to walk a small section where the bike was sliding everywhere. Pretty sure everything is going to thaw and freeze again today which isn't going to help.

mtbr member
    And back down to -25C this morning. Since it's a friday I was honestly kindof hoping that the cyclist's coffee group would still meet (since people stand around waiting forever for the bus at these temperatures) but saner heads prevailed.

My "new" "trafficless" route to work starts with riding downhill for 1km, and it sure is rough when it's this cold. I ride 1 block, and I build up 0 body heat, and then I'm heading downhill. "Do I pedal more quickly to get to the bottom faster or do I slow down to cut the wind?" It is a couple of minutes of super unpleasantness.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Jeffscott, you must be blessed with some really warm hands. What kind of mitts do you use? I have some Garneau lobster style which are OK with liners into the single digits (F) but fall off sharply below about 5. I don't like the idea of not being able to grab the bar and the brake at the same time on the trails in full mittens.

I'm with MTXB, I've tried a LOT of gloves. All the ones rated for EXTREME COLD work pretty good down to freezing. The best ones I have were 10 bucks in a bin at Lowe's.

I have a pair of MEC mitts the have a light lining inside a water wind proof outer, the guantlet goes halfway up to my elbow. (pretty important). The mitts fit quite loose (massively improves dexterity, I brake and shift happily with the mitts on. They have a hollow fiber inner mitten as well.

Todays ride in -23C, about 40 minutes...(no liners just mitts), hands fine.

Lobster mitts are much colder and really don't improve dexterity.

Has far has hands go I have okay circulation, but over the years have nipped probably all of my finger tips, so no my hands are not super warm. (Think outdoor hockey).

The key to a warm mitt is large and loose, with a long guantlet. no lobsters.

The loose mitts allow you to use and one or two finger separatly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Got a used Pugsley from a friend that I was commuting on this week instead of my normal commuter, since we have quite a bit of snow in Calgary. The recommendation of using ~5psi in the tires resulted in a veeeeeeeeeeery slow ride on Monday morning. By the time I got to the office, I was sweating like it was the middle of summer. That was with a -30c windchill.
    The pathways into work have been plowed and packed down enough today that I think the regular commuter with studded tires will be the best bet tomorrow.
    Yes it has been a long cold week in calgary except for Wed. I here you about low pressures...

Today I rode in 2.35 inch Freddie studs...the air in the rear was down since I last pumped it up, and of course the cold makes it even lower during the ride. The to add insult to injury the cold makes the tire alot less supple so for the increased flex due to the lower pressure, the loss of suppleness multiples the drag.

For sure skinny and studs are gonna be way faster than a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    The to add insult to injury the cold makes the tire alot less supple so for the increased flex due to the lower pressure, the loss of suppleness multiples the drag.
    And this morning I was definitely feeling that wonderful drivetrain drag that becomes apparent around -25C. (or I just didn't want to go to work)

Huckin' trails
    Haha, I had to ride downtown to the justice hall this morning, there has been a house fire on the main street that lead to the bridge so they had to close the entrance thus causing major traffic jam and very slow commuting for everyone, not to mention the continuous fresh snow fall since last night and yes, bikes were as fast as cars and as painful as cars to commute too, because the brown-sugar snow was blocking the path to ride next to any vehicle. At least I got away by using the small streets that loop back into inbound traffic (nobody use them unless they live there) and respecting all traffic signs and laws. Then added bonus, drivers are keeping their distance and give you room, just because they can't drive any faster than you without loosing control. I had one lady hunk me on a one way downhill after following me like if I was a car driving way too slow, when in fact she couldn't speed up and still had to wait at the traffic light with me 100' further. I guess she could use a bike ride and take it easy haha. Then a bit later an older driver was waiting to turn left coming from the opposite direction and instead of waiting for me to clear the intersection and for the pedestrians to clear the crosswalk, he just drove in front of me and got stuck having to wait for pedestrians to cross. Classic mistake, he got rewarded by a gentle kiss of my boot on his rear bumper. It's funny because everything is in slow-motion for cars today, so all the *****y or douchy driver's moves are hilarious when they can't go faster than 10mp/h xD

The temp went up from -12 C this morning to -5 C at noon, lots of slush and slick snow over the ice coating, but a few main streets are a real PITA to ride with studs due to the lack of ice and high rolling resistance of fully studded wheels and cars being abel to go >20mp/h easily.

Also worth noting, after riding the last 3 winters with homemade studded tires in the front and big lugs in the back, I tried a skinnier and slicker setup with the 1.75" Marathon Winter front and 1.35" CX Pro rear. So far, I'm having a lot of doubts about the Marathon Winter being superior to my custom studs for 3 main factors. First being the weight, above 1kg for the tire only vs ~700g for a similar volume/stud count/hardness custom. Then the short studs, despite their hardness and high count (240 carbides studs), they are ineffective on irregular ice surface and ridiculous if there's even the slightest layer of slick/loose snow over the ice or pavement. The only improvement I saw over my own studs were riding on bare pavement where the rolling resistance is minimal, or on hardpack snow. Third, the shallow tread depth and lack of lugs combined with hard rubber is turning the tire into a slick unless you're riding in slush or liquidish snow. It won't track well in deep slick or powdery and will have no traction at all on slick snow over ice or even soft ice/snow. Also higher retail price and small volume and stiff wire bead.

As for the advantages, they are clearly noticeable regarding the low rolling resistance (very fast for a 1kg tire with 240 studs !), slow wear of both the studs and rubber with very little rust visible, highly effective and desirable reflective sidewall strips, very hard to pinch flat even at super low pressures because of a sturdy sidewall, 1.75" width is actually more than enough, as good as a standard 1.95" Kenda department store type, nice square profile even on a 22mm inner width rim, good cornering on both pavement and rougher ground (which lacks most custom studded tires) due to short studs and wide studded pattern surface, no need for tire liner and added puncture resistance, inflate and seat very easily due to quality wire bead fabrication, durable and quality made that keep the tire looking and performing sharp for many years, optional stud replacement at decent price and easy to do. However, I really don't like the performance on snow, soft and slick ground, only on bare pavement and clean ice. I guess the Ice Spiker Pro would do better, but very expensive for commuting 5km a day. I kept it on for now, hopefully there'll be less snow on monday. Compared to a 112 studs (2 rows of 56), 2.1 folding, short lugs, 650g custom, the Marathon Winter rolls faster on bare pavement and handle better (mostly on cornering and heavy braking), but feels slick on snow and deep/bumpy stuff. Might worth working on a new custom design with shorter studs (3mm down to <2mm length), less volume (2.1" down to 1.9") and 4 rows (200ish studs) to improve cornering.

For the CX Pro in the rear, it's awful even without the ice under the snow. At best it excels in slush, but will not do even with a thin layer of slick snow or soft ice. At >400g for 26x1.35" and wire bead only, no reflective sidewall strips, is only advantage is a low rolling resistance with good bump compliance (soft sidewalls) even at 40psi. Would be perfect for commutes where nothing freeze, but everything is wet and sloppy. Switching to a big 2.25" mtb folding with 2 rows (120 4mmx3mm length) of studs and close to 1kg, it felt like I was slowing down even in a fast downhill on pavement and like I was in a 25% higher gear ratio right away, a bit less when riding on soft or slick snow. I does track and grip a lot more than even the Marathon Winter, but is a real PITA even at 30psi. It makes me wish for the CX Pro anytime I don't have ice/slick snow under the wheel. Could try to find a tire similar to the CX Pro to do custom studs work.

Overall, having to ride either on bare pavement or on full ice/snow on my commute, the Marathon Winter/CX Pro combo was a deception for ice/snow performance. I'll go back to praising my custom studded tires for real winter riding around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

CB of the East
    I have a pair of MEC mitts the have a light lining inside a water wind proof outer, the guantlet goes halfway up to my elbow. (pretty important). The mitts fit quite loose (massively improves dexterity, I brake and shift happily with the mitts on. They have a hollow fiber inner mitten as well.
    These?: MEC Overlord Mitts (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I never thought about using fingers independently through the mitts. Maybe it's time to add to my glove drawer. I do have a little birthday cash I should spend on myself. Those new shifters I just bought for the Cross Check were a maintenance item

mtbr member
    May 2006
    These?: MEC Overlord Mitts (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I never thought about using fingers independently through the mitts. Maybe it's time to add to my glove drawer. I do have a little birthday cash I should spend on myself. Those new shifters I just bought for the Cross Check were a maintenance item
    Black Diamond Absolute Mitts (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Closer to these although this is not exactly right either....they have goretex in them and a fake leather palm....the loose soft mitt really does work for dextrity...

I like something that if the bike dies my hands are still warm....doesn't quite work with pogies.

I just bought some some XO grip shifters maintence item as well.

CB of the East
    Thanks! EDIT: Whoa, I didn't get that much birthday money!!
    I just bought some some XO grip shifters maintence item as well.
    Shimano 105 Brifters. The bar end shifters were crapping out (never did like bumping them with my knees in standing climbs) & the brake levers were too stumpy to grab in a bumpy emergency. The new lighter weight ergo bars were more of an indulgence but when the cockpit is getting changed anyway... 25 bucks an Nashbar, not a huge indulgence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got a first uneventful week of commuting under my belt for the new year. Did notice a broken spoken on my back wheel though, which means bike repairs already. That didn't take long.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have some friends with a big pond on their ranch... took my kids skating during this last cold snap, and the ice was maybe 3 inches thick...very nice conditions, but we started hearing these shooting cracks blasting around at one point. Man, that will make your heart leap. Probably just settling, not many people had been on it, etc... it was plenty thick and was probably fine...but we got the heck off.
    As a rule of thumb, 5 cm / 2 inches should be plenty to carry a person - if it is hard ice and not frozen slush, or melting and becoming icicles on the bottom side. In cold temps, all sorts of tensions in the ice are possible and that can cause thin cracks. Usually, they are harmless but they can cause a big noise. The ice works like a drum skin, amplifying the sound.

If the water is flowing, all bets are off. A few winters ago, I was strolling on a frozen lake, covered with snow. Lots of people had gone before me on foot or skis - but then I started to look for a way to get on the nearby road. Through some reeds on the lakeside looked promising but I didn't realize that a small creek or ditch or something runs to the lake there. So, at some point I was knee deep in muddy water. The last couple of kilometers, going home, were a bit uncomfortable.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, my wife is feeling better, but now I feel like I'm coming down with a bug. Errrrrr...

I'm hoping I can make it to work Monday, but I highly doubt I'll be riding my bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Have not been on the bike since my last incident. Temps have not been above 11F since then either. Windchill warnings have just been too much for me to even try it. Temps should be warming up to an ideal riding temperature this week, and I will be back on the bike. It feels weird driving everywhere.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2963/6000

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks! EDIT: Whoa, I didn't get that much birthday money!!
    Yeah I wear the mitts probably november through April geez 6 months they are on their third year....just starting to get some wear on the felt inside layer.

Bedwards Of The West
    I heard a loud thud over hear in CA this morning on the way in... sounded like Bedwards crashing, but I could be wrong...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I'd rather be on my bike
    Looks like the fat bike will be out today. Got a few more inches of fresh snow and hopefully it is not too wrecked by the time I head in. Temps are still under freezing but the sun is out and that can cause a slushy mess. Will be trying out some air activated hand warmers tonight for the ride home as it is supposed to be pretty cold.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. Fairly standard fare anymore. Mid 20s and no snow.

Excellent ride over the weekend on the Iditarod Trail. Working on a post with pics over at my blog about it. Good times.

CB of the East
    I heard a loud thud over here in CA this morning on the way in... sounded like Bedwards crashing, but I could be wrong...
    Strava Stalker! Yeah, there was some unexpected, unseen ice on a hill. If I only had 1" studs all would have been well. It only hurts when I cough, sneeze or laugh.

The Candid Cyclist: Why is My Back Wheel Passing My Front Wheel...****
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-12-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Bedwards Of The West
    Ugh, you quoted me before I saw that grammatical error. Over "hear"? And I call myself a teacher.

I'm at the tail end of some bruised rib action from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUpIprAXgo8

Hope that's all you did and you heal up quick.

CB of the East
    Ugh, you quoted me before I saw that grammatical error. Over "hear"? And I call myself a teacher.

I'm at the tail end of some bruised rib action from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUpIprAXgo8

Hope that's all you did and you heal up quick.
    I fixed it in my post.

That was a decent looking unplanned dismount from the bike at high speed at night. I'm surprised it was only ribs. I don't think I even did that much damage. Just wrenched things around a little.

Moderator Moderator
    Strava Stalker! Yeah, there was some unexpected, unseen ice on a hill. If I only had 1" studs all would have been well. It only hurts when I cough, sneeze or laugh.

The Candid Cyclist: Why is My Back Wheel Passing My Front Wheel...****
    That dusted over ice on a hill is deadly, not ashamed to say I've walked known ice-under sections! Hope you heal up OK.

CB, that was pretty funny (your comment, not your vid, which I have not been able to view on my lame-o slow-mo internet tonight).

NDD
    Baby boy
    That dusted over ice on a hill is deadly, not ashamed to say I've walked known ice-under sections! Hope you heal up OK.

CB, that was pretty funny (your comment, not your vid, which I have not been able to view on my lame-o slow-mo internet tonight).
    I wish I was as smart as you this morning. Riding all the way to campus spotty ice. No problem. I'm getting to the uphill that leads onto campus and I start slowing down and dismounting and I think "nah, it'll be fine". This, despite the fact that I know I'm going to lose all of my momentum, then need to pedal with some good torque to push uphill and that would cause me to slide out. Should've trusted my gut because physics is pretty consistent, at least over here, it is.

Long story short , I got a nice little kiss from the pavement on my cheek and chin to not so proudly display on my first day of my last semester of undergrad. Good thing that after three and a half years at the uni I don't have to worry about first impressions.

Another note. Pinned flats. Love them on the commuter. Perfect for my boots. It's a close second to being clipped in for me. Nice little stick to the bottom of my shoe.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great commute in, 22F and partly sunny. Roads were kind of a slushy mess after riding the nice hard packed MUP which was totally deserted. A quick stop in at the shop only to find out that my idea of bullhorn bars on the fat bike is nearly impossible. Headed back out to finish the ride and had to take a different route due to the bike lane being just about impassable even on my fat bike. It had not been plowed at all, and was covered in a slushy/snow/car snot/mix along with some ice. I ended up on the sidewalk for most of that part of the road. I hate riding on the sidewalk. More dangerous than the road if you ask me. Pedestrians darting out from houses and from between buildings. I took it slow on the sidewalk. Got into my old neighborhood which had not been plowed at all. That was interesting because I was all over the place. Nearly went down a few times but managed to catch myself. Coming into an intersection where the cross road had the stop sign, and the truck wasn't able to stop......he slid right through it, right in my path. I grabbed all of the BB5 disc brakes and tried to turn in the same direction as him hoping to not get hit. He did not hit me, and I caught myself as I went down, and twisted my back really bad. He didn't stop, just kept on going. Probably did not see the stop sign would be my guess. Back on the bike for the last mile and by the time I got to work and off the bike, I could barely walk. It still hurts after Motrin and Excedrin and stretching. Tuesday will have to be a car day to let my back recover. Damnit.

Ride home was 4F and breezy. Bought some hand warmers and gave them a trial tonight. They work pretty well. Will have to try them with my lobster gloves. I had them between a liner and the glove that I was using. I like how they would cool down a little, and then you just squeeze your hand or move them around, and boom, they warm right back up. Works nicely so they are not constantly warm making your hands hot. At $1 a pack, they will help me out and not break the bank.

CB of the East
    Hey TenSpeed good to see you didn't have to take too many days off. Hopefully you won't need to take too many off after your spill. Your conditions sound pretty identical to ours last night. We had a bout 3" of snow yesterday that they mostly just sanded and salted then just before 5:00 they pushed it to the shoulder. Luckily we only had to ride that for about a mile they it was back roads and the lake.

The lake was pretty awesome. The 3" of fresh snow made the ride across the ice nearly silent. There was a layer of snow below that had partially adhered to the ice so it wasn't' deadly as long as you made wide turns.

This morning's ride...Lightly packed cornmeal with ruts. Why do I do this to myself? I know the trails are ****e but I take them anyway. As long as you didn't want to make any headway uphill or be able to steer downhill, all was good. The icy patch that took me out yesterday was some of the best riding today.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 01-13-2015 at 09:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Not as windy as the ride home last night - 26mph out of the north gusting to 33. Good times. Still waiting for snow. Need me some dang snow...

mtbr member
    May 2006

The real irony is when you get off and immediatly go for a ride cause the studs on your tires grip better than your shoes.

weirdo
    Wow, 3 crashes in one day. Well, one of them from before I guess, but reported today anyway. Limp well, guys and continue to not break bones!

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Another note. Pinned flats. Love them on the commuter. Perfect for my boots. It's a close second to being clipped in for me. Nice little stick to the bottom of my shoe.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    North of Boston, 14 F with a steady headwind. The nokian mount and grounds work great on frozen puddles and footprints. 18 miles this AM. All good except the gatorade slush. +1 on good steel pinned flats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    David C, not loving the marathon winter? Try the nokian mount and grounds, 1.95 x 26 with 160 studs. The studs are offset from center and the tires have some good chunky v treads. For crappy conditions, I run then at 30 psi to flatten the tread out some. For better conditions, I use 40 psi. I ride a rockhopper with a front shock. Here in the Boston area we get a lot of freeze/thaw that leads to rutted and frozen bike path awesomeness. It adds about 10 minutes to my 18 mile commute. I l also run a nokian hakkaaplitta in 700 x 35 on my other winter commuter. I looked at the marathon winter, seems to be lacking tread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fairly uneventful which is good. I'm running non-studded Marathons and they can be an adventure when it gets icy. So far I've been okay at tracking my ride vs drive days, will see if I can make it part of the routine.

NDD
    Baby boy
    About 14F this morning and windy. All this cold and wind really saps my speed...and the fact that I need to inflate my tires (shh).
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    -10F for the ride in, goggles, winter helmet, pogies, etc., but I was actually colder on the drive home (about -3F) in a work car (for a.m. fieldwork) - that *%$@*! Prius would not heat up right on the 30 minute drive. -15F overnight, so I hope it warms up better for my 90 minute drive to the work site. Yesterday's snow was not cleaned up very well this morning, I had to take the travel lane mostly, and had one a** dumptruck honk right when he was come up on me, I just about jumped a mile.

Moderator Moderator
    The real irony is when you get off and immediately go for a ride cause the studs on your tires grip better than your shoes.
    True!

mtbr member
    First commute for some time. It seems that since the accident, my body has fluctuated in its ability. One day I'm great and can hammer with the best of them, and then I'm done. Today was okay, but I'm still experiencing a bit of pain. Weather was beautiful, right at about 60 degrees with a strong head wind. Looking forward to this evening when that head wind is a tail wind.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Forecast was for light snow, but it was just cold and overcast.

I haven't seen many other bike commuters this winter. Last year I actually saw more people riding in the winter than when it was nice out, which I thought was weird. Of course I only see 3 other people on a regular basis.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rode in yesterday and it was about 20F. We'd had a freezing drizzle fall the night before. I saw a kid fall as he was coming out of basketball practice Monday night so I knew the roads would be slick but the temps were supposed to hover between 20 and 30F all day. Not too cold and the ice that is there won't melt and refreeze.

Ride in wasn't too bad but I did consciously slow down a good deal. Especially on the many foot bridges and sharp turns often leading onto and off of them.

At 6:30 am I was the fourth biker to ride the path. I saw where one of the previous commuters wiped out as he was coming off a bridge and joining the path. You could see where the front tire washed out. Hopefully it wasn't bad.

About half of the trail had a fresh dusting of snow from Monday night and the ride was absolutely gorgeous! Like a postcard. Luckily it was only about 1/2" deep. The Nokians I ride on are great on ice but less so on snow. More than an inch deep and I am sliding all over.

I made it to work without incident.

The ride home was also great but it had just started snowing and I rode home through flurries. Not too bad and not more than 1/2 and inch accumulation but fresh snow is pretty slick so it added almost another 10 minutes to my commute. Small price to pay for not wiping out.

Tomorrow it is supposed to range from low 20's to upper 50's. I will be riding in for sure.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Jeffscott, you must be blessed with some really warm hands. What kind of mitts do you use? I have some Garneau lobster style which are OK with liners into the single digits (F) but fall off sharply below about 5. I don't like the idea of not being able to grab the bar and the brake at the same time on the trails in full mittens.

I'm with MTXB, I've tried a LOT of gloves. All the ones rated for EXTREME COLD work pretty good down to freezing. The best ones I have were 10 bucks in a bin at Lowe's.

Funny, the best pair I have came form Home Depot's $10 bin. Probably the same gloves. They are easy enough to operate the brake only levers on my commuter but are much harder to work the levers on integrated units.

I actually bring two pairs of gloves most days. the Home Depot specials for when it is below freezing in the mornings and a pair of full finger Harbor Freight, stink to high heaven, gloves for the evening ride when temps are 40 and above and the other gloves are to hot.

Bedwards Of The West
    Took a dip into the upper teens this morning. Still doesn't snow here anymore...

Texan, I hear ya. I have experienced the same thing during recovery in the past. Over time the slow painful days become less frequent, and then you realize you haven't had one in a while, and then you instantly forget how miserable it was until you crash again. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Funny, the best pair I have came form Home Depot's $10 bin. Probably the same gloves. They are easy enough to operate the brake only levers on my commuter but are much harder to work the levers on integrated units.

I actually bring two pairs of gloves most days. the Home Depot specials for when it is below freezing in the mornings and a pair of full finger Harbor Freight, stink to high heaven, gloves for the evening ride when temps are 40 and above and the other gloves are to hot.
    yeah I keep hering that then people say they have cold hands and buy pogies..

Mitts are warmest.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Taking a break from riding. It is just too cold and even though the sun is out, it is just bitter. When the high is forecasted for single digits, the bike stays parked. I applaud those of you who continue to ride in the colder temps. My hats off to you, seriously. I know what my breaking point is, and I have reached it. I guess that is smart so that I don't do damage to myself trying to appease rule #9.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    one a** dumptruck honk right when he was come up on me, I just about jumped a mile.
    Time for a mirror?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Taking a break from riding. It is just too cold and even though the sun is out, it is just bitter. When the high is forecasted for single digits, the bike stays parked. I applaud those of you who continue to ride in the colder temps. My hats off to you, seriously. I know what my breaking point is, and I have reached it. I guess that is smart so that I don't do damage to myself trying to appease rule #9.
    I actually did the same. The forecast was for -18F and I just wasn't feeling the love enough to go out and ride in it even though I have before and will again. Tomorrow is supposed to be relatively warm at 4F. It will feel like a heatwave.
    Time for a mirror?
    Why, does that stop A-holes from blowing horns when they get right next to you?

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. The wind has died down, but still no snow and weird temps. 37F at my house this AM. With the windchill around 26. I want snow!

guy
    -4F this morning which is by far the coldest air temp I have ever attempted to ride in. Only made it about a half mile before I realized my rear derailleur wouldn't shift to harder gears. Of course, I tried down shifting to see if that freed it up, which then left me in my granny gear from which I couldn't get out of. So I turned around, packed the bike in the car and drove to work.

I'm planning to stop at the local co-op this evening on my way home to pick up some new cables, as I'm assuming that's the problem. They are old and haven't been replaced in 3 or 4 years of hard single track riding on this bike. Can extreme cold stop cables from working?

CB of the East
    If water enters the cable housing either directly or through melting snow, it can re-freeze and bind it up. New housings wouldn't hurt since you are having problems.

Talentless Hack
    Monday was actually the first time I've been knocked off my bike by a car in 10+ years. Minivan pulled alongside on a sidestreet and then just moved over into me and pushed me sideways until I was at the curb. There was about an inch of snow on the road at the time but IMO weather and road conditions were not factors.

The entire mishap was at low enough speed that I stayed on my feet, but had to drop the bike in the snowbank, and I was far more irritated than scared.

Would have made a fun headcam video for the interwebz, but I didn't have it on...
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration