Page 318 of 418 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368 ... LastLast
Results 15,851 to 15,900 of 20884
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    20F with a headwind this morning with snow showers starting part-way through my commute. I was running a different headlight this time, a 3x XM-L Chinashine I picked up on eBay for under $7 shipped. The beam is better than the MJ-872 clone I ran earlier this week, which might have a bit too much flood for the road.

Temps are taking a dive today. I'm not sure what the temps will be like when I leave, but I packed extra clothing. Temps could be anywhere from 0 to 15. It's rare for us to have temps fall this low during the day. Tomorrow will be cold enough people will probably not drive to work, which doesn't make sense to me but that's how people are around here.

CB of the East
    Winter is here. I've got all my layers on and -1F this morning was an 11 degree improvement over yesterday. I've been taking the lake which went from a perfect 10 on Saturday to a barely passable 1 this week. Luckily I found a secret passage along the shore that got flooded and refroze. Tomorrow is supposed to be really cold.

A friend and I got to do 17 miles of open lake skating on Sat. It was awesome!
    Activity Profile | Skating The Whole Lake!! near Raymond | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Today was the first time I commuted in snow since building up the pugs. It was only about 2" of loose powder but it did surprisingly well. Took maybe 10-15 minutes longer than it did on clear paths? I'm pleased.

Only problem is I don't have a rack on it so had to carry my gear in my camelback. Been thinking about getting one of those huge revelate seat bags so I can do some light touring on my mountain bikes (the only two bikes I have without loops for a proper saddle bag) maybe this will provide some motivation. Though I think I could get by with a lot less than that for commuting - I figure a 2 liter bag would hold a tube, mini pump and some various tools just fine. Not as cool though

I think it was like 12-13 degrees when I left the house this morning - possibly the coldest I've ridden to work in. Seeing bedwards post above makes me feel a little soft for that
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah but those crazy Canadians routinely ride at -30F which makes me feel soft. Except I've been riding the pugs every day this week and that does not make me feel soft. If I make it out in the AM at -15F with -30-40F windchill I'll not be soft. Especially if I freeze solid. Kudo'd you back Alex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Still about an inch of snow on the ground with a layer of ice underneath. So I decided today would be a good day for my first commute with my fat bike. As expected it was pretty slow going, especially with a headwind but the Surly Nates sure do grip. I was sweating when I got to work, I guess 19F was just too warm.

mtbr member
    I was too warm at times this morning but every time I went downhill I was glad to be overdressed - it amazes me how quickly the heart rate goes back down. Nates are awesome - I haven't found anything yet that they can't grip, though dry leaves get dicey at times.

Good point bedwards - I guess if there's potential to freeze solid then you aren't soft, by definition. Though the soft center must persist for at least a few hours Not sure how kudo-worthy my ride was but that ice skating trip looked awesome! I've never even considered the possibility of a trek like that on skates, bet it was a blast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    first day this week I cleaned the commute due to car snot etc. Supposed to Chinook today.

-12 C on the hill -16 C in the valley so it is trying....Supposed to go to +2C in the afternoon then back to the deep freeze to night.

mtbr member
    ^ it's so strange how -15C/5F (with a pretty healthy wind) can actually feel warm. But after a couple days of deepfreeze, this morning when I was walking with the dog and then riding in I thought "This feels like spring" even though it really doesn't.

mtbr member
    A decent second commute back for the year. 20F at my house. 1F at the bus stop, 7F where I get off in town, 1F along the creek and 1F at work.

Went tubeless over the break - think I mentioned that here, maybe not - and so far so good. Though I don't know that I am realizing any great benefits yet...I did have a strange thing happen yesterday on the way home. Left from work with temps around 7F and the rear tire felt to be at about 15psi. Got four miles in and the rear was nearly flat. Now, I wonder if it is due to the tire sitting on a heated concrete slab all day keeping the air inside a bit warm and expanded? I know that my valve stem wasn't quite as tightly screwed down as it should have been, so I took care of that last night and pumped it up to 18psi, which seems to have held overnight and I had no noticeable loss of pressure on this morning's ride. Also realized I have a freehub pawl that is all chewed to h*ll after being sticky and crappy for a few weeks. Time to go talk to the shop, I guess. Though, I'm half tempted to wait until it dies completely before taking it in - easier to explain to the mechanic than "it felt funny so I took it apart to see why and..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Went tubeless over the break...I don't know that I am realizing any great benefits...I did have a strange thing happen yesterday...Got four miles in and the rear was nearly flat.
    That pretty much sums up my 1-1/2 year experiment with tubeless. I never get flats normally, but when I switched to tubeless I thought it was cool, but I had so many "strange" flats that I eventually gave up.

(And I'm not bashing tubeless, because I know that a lot of people love it. But for me personally, with conditions around here I get maybe 1 flat per year. With tubeless it was 10x that across my 3 bikes, and troubleshooting tubeless flats takes 5x as long as just throwing in a new tube (especially if you don't have an air compressor).)

Bedwards Of The West
    Does anyone here NOT have Raynaud's? It's the Asbergers of commuting, I'm telling ya No offense meant, I'm a Special Ed teacher and we throw these kinds of things out there

I don't have it, I don't want it... but if I did have it, and especially after hearing TenSpeed's story, I'd be dropping the cash for some A'me heated grips, or heated bar tape. Seems like that and pogies would be the ultimate solution.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Left from work with temps around 7F and the rear tire felt to be at about 15psi. Got four miles in and the rear was nearly flat. Now, I wonder if it is due to the tire sitting on a heated concrete slab all day keeping the air inside a bit warm and expanded?
    The fall in air pressure due to cooling is proportional to the absolute temperatures and pressures.

eg heated slab at 70f tire at 15 psi

70f+460f= 530 R

15 psi + 14.7 psia = 29.7 psi

Then cools to 7 F

So 7F+460F= 467R

Cold pressure = 467/530*29.7psia=26.2 psia

26.2 psia -14.7 psia= 11.5 psi

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Does anyone here NOT have Raynaud's? It's the Asbergers of commuting, I'm telling ya No offense meant, I'm a Special Ed teacher and we throw these kinds of things out there

I don't have it, I don't want it... but if I did have it, and especially after hearing TenSpeed's story, I'd be dropping the cash for some A'me heated grips, or heated bar tape. Seems like that and pogies would be the ultimate solution.
    Wife and Daughter have it. I don't. Pogies are insulation just like mitts....when you lose blood flow all the insulation in the world is not gonna help...you need to add heat ie iron filings that react with the O2 in air....that means you have to remove them from the mitts and shake them up every so often to add O2. I suppose a battery heated boots or mitts would also work.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ finally someone gets it!! Pogies are great for riding, but they will not keep my hands warm from that cold bar. Heated grips are a possible option at this point but I am going to look into other things before that becomes a reality. Also not sure how much actual heat these generate or how long it will take to warm up after the bike sits outside for 8-9 hours.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2963/6000

mtbr member
    After a 5 hr ride in 20 degree temps in the mountains last month I got a pair of fancy insulated gloves, almost like the ones I used to use for snowboarding. Apparently my old liner + regular glove strategy can only get me so far. Not sure what you are using now but something like that might be worth looking into if you haven't tried it. Good luck and please be careful. After over a year of being told it was "just reynaud's" my wife got an echocardiogram the dr had said was "unnecessary" and it turned up some really horrifying ****. Just seeing the word has me reeling, I'm glad I didn't page back this morning.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ah there it is chinook hit -1C Sloppy Joe ride home.

CB of the East
    This whole pogie debate is silly. I've used oversized 100g thinsulate gauntlet style gloves with wool liners and my hands still get cold below about 10F degrees. I can use 40g thinsulate gloves with barmits and my hands are good to -15F (not much data below that) My commutes are over an hour in the winter and the bar has certainly chilled to the outside temp. I can undeniably say that every time I have tried them, bar mitts work better than gloves.

I don't see any people that use the pogies saying that they don't work. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ahhhhh 6C now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    This whole pogie debate is silly. I've used oversized 100g thinsulate gauntlet style gloves with wool liners and my hands still get cold below about 10F degrees. I can use 40g thinsulate gloves with barmits and my hands are good to -15F (not much data below that) My commutes are over an hour in the winter and the bar has certainly chilled to the outside temp. I can undeniably say that every time I have tried them, bar mitts work better than gloves.

I don't see any people that use the pogies saying that they don't work. Just sayin.
    Mitts work better than gloves or pogies...

But if there is no blood flow there is no warmth with any of them...once the Reynauds attack starts, insulation is not gonna stop it, and the attacks can start really warm.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Those who do not have Reynaud's simply will not understand how it works, what affects it, and what you need to do to prevent it. Not trying to start a debate or argument here, but Pogies for Reynaud's is simply like peeing up a tree. With Reynaud's, once your hand is cold, you are done. You could have a thousand Pogies on the bar, it will not change the fact that it is cold and there is little or no blood flow to your hand. In fact, Pogies would make it worse because as mentioned above, you have to constantly shake your hand to get the blood flowing back into it, which would defeat the purpose of Pogies, requiring you to remove your hand from the Pogie/bar to get it going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thinking on the bar warmer options, I will have a few dumb attempts at solutions in the next few days. The chemical hand warmer in a pogie for a few minutes before takeoff sounds like a good first attempt.

Borrowed a Wo from my LBS and test rode my campus commute today. Cold, snowy, windy with cars doing all sorts of acrobatic feats across the roadways. What could be a better trial by fire day for a fatbike? I was impressed, the fat flotation was sweet on the unshoveled sidewalks, but without studs the glossy bits were not much fun. This was my first ride on a fatbike and it lived up to everything I have been told, and a few things I hadn't heard. Busting 7 inches of new snow was more work on the Wo than it was an hour later on a Unit.

Now I see why so many people love their fat bikes. I just didn't find it much fun, too much like snowshoeing rather than cross- country skiing. So I ordered a 2014 Unit with Nicotines, that bike was fun.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't get how Reynauds sufferers could possibly need less protection (i.e. no pogies) than other people. Yes, augment with handwarmer packs or whatever you need, but pogies offer real benefits in the cold to anyone.

Moderator Moderator
    Activity Profile | Skating The Whole Lake!! near Raymond | Times and Records | Strava
    Wow, quite a skate! I have never been comfy on skates for very long. Quite a few here are into the distance nordic lake skating with special skates, clubs etc., what kind of skates did you use?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    That is simply awesome bedwards!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Today was going to be my first bike commute to work for this year, but I'm being a whimp. I have never commuted below 10F, and when I let the dog out I realized that I'm just not ready for it. Kinda wanna work my way there.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Huckin' trails

How was your commute today?

-24 C this morning and we still have a very thick ice coating on the streets and now with a layer of brown slippery snow since yesterday. I installed my 26x2.25 studded tire in the rear last night, I couldn't take the CX Pro 26x1.35 anymore, I had to ride ridiculously slow and painfully stiff just to avoid wiping out constantly. I still have the Marathon Winter in the front, but it's not as good as my custom studded mtb tires because it packs with snow very easily and doesn't bite as much as my other tires did.

How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1420719378.885767.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

CB of the East
    Wow DavidC, We've got the same cold air mass over us.
    Name:  -18.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  33.6 KB
    That's -27C for those of you that use that other system.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Wow, quite a skate! I have never been comfy on skates for very long. Quite a few here are into the distance nordic lake skating with special skates, clubs etc., what kind of skates did you use?
    I just use hockey skates. I bought a really nice pair about 20 years ago and it paid off. I had them on for about 3 1/2 hours and they were still comfy. The ones they replaced had a 20 minute time limit. I'd like to try the Nordic ones but they are quite a bit less versatile so I just stick with these.

I still disagree that pogies won't help with Reynauds. The hand is still getting blood even if the fingers aren't. The #1 cooling effect is convective from the icy wind. The best advice I can give is start trying things to see what works best for you.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute for me today, heck I don't even want to drive to work today. Currently 0F with a wind chill of -17F. The snow will start later and we should have 4-6" by tomorrow afternoon. As much as I want to take the fat bike to work in the snow and play around, the temperatures are just too low for me. That last ride really put some fear in me and made me re-evaluate my commute. I did pick up 5 packs of hand warmers at the store that rhymes with Rick's last night, one to keep in my car just in case, one for my jacket to have at all times, and a few for my messenger bag. They were .99 each and activate simply by opening them and the air activates them. I also picked up a Thermax glove liner from Seirus (I have one of their balaclavas and I love it).

I appreciate everyones attempt at the help with the Pogies/bar mitts, etc. I think that I know what is best for my Reynaud's, and for now, that is being off the bike. I am going to check in at work and see if there is possibly an indoor storage option for my bike in the winter, even temporary if possible. If that were the case, I think that starting off at a room temperature bike with Pogies on would work.

As I sit here typing this in my apartment, in my Smartwool socks, track pants, thermal biking shirt with another shirt on top of it and the space heater going aimed directly at me, my right hand is suffering from Reynaud's. Three fingers are going cold, and no matter what I do, nothing is helping. This is the stuff that I think that people without Reynaud's don't understand. Once they get cold, even a little cold, that is it, you are done. Nothing seems to help.

CB of the East
    ^^Rice bags are great at bringing the numb white fingers back around. Nice gentle comforting heat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You can pick up 9 to 12V silicon rubberised heating elements for about $10 each (a local electronics supplier has them, but god knows why it never drops below 70'F).
    A lot of the lock on grips have a the gel on top of a thin hard plastic shell between the two lock rings you scrape it off, glue on the heating elements then wrap them with a padded roadie bar tape. I bet that would work coupled with pogies - the element would be insulated from the bar by the plastic on the grip so the steel / Al bar won't suck all the heat out. All you need is a battery to plug them in $60 ish cost in total as it would be worth going rechargable I reckon.
    Or get battery heated motor bike gloves at about the same cost

Moderator Moderator
    Just about an hour for my 8 miles this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1050546.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1050550.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1050548.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, back up into the teens and twenties here in AK - with freezing rain forecast for today. Really? WTF?

Wind in the valley, too. 24 sustained out of the NE with gusts to 34. First half of the ride was brutal with head and side winds on top of riding on icy surfaces. The second half was, well, exciting - tail wind downhill on icy surfaces. Oh, and I don't have studs...

Good times.

mtbr member
    ^ we had a freezing rain warning yesterday, but thankfully it turned to snow.

Hey mtbxplorer, you had a freeload pannier rack right? Do you still like/recommend it? I've got some annoyances with my old rack and new frame, and think a freeload (now Thule) might be the way to go. The reviews are all good, but they sure look rickety and unstable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Coldest morning of the year, and I had to call in. My wife had a bit of a health scare last night, and is not feeling well today. I've been making pancakes, picking bath toys out of the toilet, and dumping puke buckets. Good times. Here's to hoping I don't come down with anything...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Hey mtbxplorer, you had a freeload pannier rack right? Do you still like/recommend it? I've got some annoyances with my old rack and new frame, and think a freeload (now Thule) might be the way to go. The reviews are all good, but they sure look rickety and unstable.
    The Freeload racks are not rickety at all, really stable. The weight limit is huge. That said, I did manage to break a plastic piece falling on ice (no pannier on it at the time). I glued it back together and it worked fine on my next trip. One of my trips was pouring rain all week and I learned that the webbing stretches a little when wet; luckily I had the tightener tool with me so it was not a big deal when it started to slip. Maybe it was me, but I found it kind of a pain to put on and take off; fine for an occasional trip, but if someone wanted to swap it on and off often, like between trailriding and commuting, I think they might be disappointed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Coldest morning of the year, and I had to call in. My wife had a bit of a health scare last night, and is not feeling well today. I've been making pancakes, picking bath toys out of the toilet, and dumping puke buckets. Good times. Here's to hoping I don't come down with anything...
    This is how you properly husband and dad at the same time. Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon!

mtbr member
    The Freeload racks are not rickety at all, really stable. The weight limit is huge. That said, I did manage to break a plastic piece falling on ice (no pannier on it at the time). I glued it back together and it worked fine on my next trip. One of my trips was pouring rain all week and I learned that the webbing stretches a little when wet; luckily I had the tightener tool with me so it was not a big deal when it started to slip. Maybe it was me, but I found it kind of a pain to put on and take off; fine for an occasional trip, but if someone wanted to swap it on and off often, like between trailriding and commuting, I think they might be disappointed.
    Thanks. I just think that they look rickety, even though every review I've seen says they're great. And I wouldn't be planning on taking them on and off so no worries there.

Is the plastic thing that you broke one of the sideframes (or do you have the sideframes, since I would definitely get them)?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yes, exactly, the sideframe. I think that is why my glue job worked, there is not really a lot of weight supported by them unless you are crashing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't get how Reynauds sufferers could possibly need less protection (i.e. no pogies) than other people. Yes, augment with handwarmer packs or whatever you need, but pogies offer real benefits in the cold to anyone.
    What mitts have you tried?

Bedwards Of The West
    Props to you guys dealing with the deep freeze in the northeast. That's cold!

Now I want to skate a lake. I saw a cool youtube video from finland or somewhere where these guys were chasing fish around under their feet, the ice was so clear and perfect. That would be a hoot.

I have some friends with a big pond on their ranch... took my kids skating during this last cold snap, and the ice was maybe 3 inches thick...very nice conditions, but we started hearing these shooting cracks blasting around at one point. Man, that will make your heart leap. Probably just settling, not many people had been on it, etc... it was plenty thick and was probably fine...but we got the heck off.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    What mitts have you tried?
    More like what kind haven't I tried? I would show you my glove bin but it would be embarrassing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am going to check in at work and see if there is possibly an indoor storage option for my bike in the winter, even temporary if possible. If that were the case, I think that starting off at a room temperature bike with Pogies on would work.
    I have never ridden a bike in the winter that was stored outside, so I suspect you may be correct. Works for my much lesser case anyway.

mtbr member
    More like what kind haven't I tried? I would show you my glove bin but it would be embarrassing.
    Well, maybe you can next christmas:

How was your commute today?-glove.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I have never ridden a bike in the winter that was stored outside, so I suspect you may be correct. Works for my much lesser case anyway.
    This is the trouble I am having....

I ride with Mitts, I haven't used the liners they came with but below -30C. at -25C, my finger tips might just start to feel the cold, so from -25C (-13F) to -30C(-20f) I will put on my summer gloves as a liner...

Yet everyone here as issues????

I don't get it.

Moderator Moderator
    I think you're just an outlier, Jeffscott!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-outlier.jpg  

CB of the East
    Jeffscott, you must be blessed with some really warm hands. What kind of mitts do you use? I have some Garneau lobster style which are OK with liners into the single digits (F) but fall off sharply below about 5. I don't like the idea of not being able to grab the bar and the brake at the same time on the trails in full mittens.

I'm with MTXB, I've tried a LOT of gloves. All the ones rated for EXTREME COLD work pretty good down to freezing. The best ones I have were 10 bucks in a bin at Lowe's.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ... but we started hearing these shooting cracks blasting around at one point. Man, that will make your heart leap. Probably just settling, not many people had been on it, etc... it was plenty thick and was probably fine...but we got the heck off.
    I kind of like those sounds. They do get your attention but once you get use to them they kind of sound like whale calls.

mtbr member
    Saw this posted on Facebook, and figured it was worth sharing (assuming the embedding works).

Trick-riding is always amazing, but I don't know that I've ever seen it done in high-heels before:

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152450786517647" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152450786517647">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/bikemap">Bikemap</a>.</div></div>

NDD
    Baby boy
    Well, since it was expected to warm to 23F today, I had my brother drop me off at my job with the bike and then rode home. Actually a pleasant 24F with some gusty 25+mph winds. I'll take it.

So glad I decided to ride home instead of bus. Nothing takes the edge off of a day like a bike ride home.

Here's a blurry picture of the adorably goofy bike squeak toy/"bell" my bro got me for Christmas. I really only use it at the college or on the mup to alert people of my presence in a non threatening way. A dog on the off-road trails thought I was a chew toy, though...

How was your commute today?-20150108_175303.jpg
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    temps in the negative teens C, 60+kph gusts.
    first time I have ever felt the pogies weren't enough.
    back seizes periodically in these conditions... sucks.
    windblast just... sucks.
    breath freezing to the stubble immediately... sucks.
    very sucky day.

Oh, I have new goggles, Gordini with optics by Zeiss, very swanky! they didn't suck.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    My commutes have been spotty, but I've picked up since the new year. As some may remember, I was hit by a car on my way home in November just before Thanksgiving. I didn't get back on the bike until Dec. 10th. I suffered some decent bruising and aches, 3 bulging discs in my cervical spine, one of which is herniated with tear, and a serious temporomandibular joint injury. Some local cycling friends came together and helped replace the damaged parts on my daily commuter so that I could get back up and going again while my attorney and I deal with the insurance company and get the bike replaced.

Today was good. It was really brisk for Florida, with a wind chill down in the 20's. I don't have clothing for that sort of weather, but I dropped into a lower gear and upped my cadence to stay warm. My usual rain jacket cut the wind perfectly, so the only things that really got cold were my shins (I don't have any pants I can ride in).

I hope you're ready for me to start posting regularly, then. New years resolution was to hit 7,000 miles and 90% of work days commuted.