Page 318 of 581 FirstFirst ... 218 268 308 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 328 368 418 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 14513
    Moderator Moderator
    Nice pics, Rodar. I can see why the triple is your friend from those surrounding mountains. The Rockhopper looks to be in great shape. On the way home I "remembered" why I neglect Irena (the cross with a double) - the last half mile is a steep huffer puffer.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    3rd, the hip Hopper, impersonating Woodway`s Habanero. Hope the little boogers don`t gnaw through any spokes.
    Looks like a good chance to work on your bunnyhopping skills. That bike looks like a great deal.

Helmet: I wear my summer one all winter long with various skull caps under it. My head seems to be the only part of my body that doesn't get cold (nose excluded)

We've got a stretch of clear 45 degree day and 28 degree nights coming up.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Love the hip-hopper rodar, what a great find. Those are suicide bunnies practicing throwing themselves under the wheel. I'm convinced that's what bunnies live for.

weirdo
    Anybody here ever try a shower cap over the helmet? I guess its mostly for rain, but probably helps as an anti-draft measure also. I think I saw tape over BrianMc`s helmet vents for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I'm convinced that's what bunnies live for.
    And gnawing off spokes. Maybe you should go with disc wheels.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Fine choice of tires on the Hopper, Rodar. Looks like a score.

I took the long way home yesterday... a little hesitant because of unknown snow conditions, but it worked out ok... I cleared the descent in the 2nd pic on the commute tires It gets a little steep as it works down to the bottom of the canyon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-picture3.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Anybody here ever try a shower cap over the helmet?
    Um, no. I'm not afraid of the fashion police, but I have my limits. I used to use a helmet cover quite a bit, but it was not helmet-light friendly. I use a regular helmet with various hats except for a couple of the coldest days.

Crisp and clear, 18F when I left, but zoomed up to 28 by the time I got to work. Back on the MTB and trails. The clean drivetrain, new disc pads, and new grips were a treat. I am convinced the silicone grips from ESI are warmer than rubber ones. Comfy too.

CB, that looks like quite a drop from where the bike is to down below. Nice going! The top one looks like a lovely trail.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 11-14-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    40's and above I just ride with my helmet on my head.

30's and below I put a thin fleece cap on under my helmet.

Even in the rain, I have never seen the need to put something over the top of my helmet. My heads going to get all sweaty anyway and in the heaviest downpour I have never had an issue with water running down my back or anything like that.

We rarely get below freezing here. If I was riding in the temps that some of you guys are I might think about a helmet cover.

Great pics CB. It's usually tough to tell steepness from photos, but the way that trail just drops off really gives a good feel for the steepness. Nice work staying upright.

Moderator Moderator
    I also have a nice Showers Pass waterproof cap I sometimes wear under the helmet. It makes for a much cozier ride in a cold rain, sleet, wet snow. I used to just use a thin wool beanie and that was OK, but the capkeeps me warmer and drier.

I Ride for Donuts
    If it's raining really hard, I'll wear the hood of my rain shell under the helmet. I don't like the feel of anything over the helmet, and the hood works well underneath.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    If it's raining really hard, I'll wear the hood of my rain shell under the helmet. I don't like the feel of anything over the helmet, and the hood works well underneath.
    Hoodie, parka hood underneath, otherwise, beanies, toques, or balaclava depending on temps. All with the clear packing tape vent seal idea of Sheldon Brown's. That gets me into the low 40's by itself. Very light friendly and doesn't up the fashion police's actions over the untreated helmet. It is time for more tape again, I'm afraid.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Nice pics, Rodar. I can see why the triple is your friend from those surrounding mountains. The Rockhopper looks to be in great shape. On the way home I "remembered" why I neglect Irena (the cross with a double) - the last half mile is a steep huffer puffer.
    +1 I might consider a 26er like that one for that price.

Anybody here ever try a shower cap over the helmet? I guess its mostly for rain, but probably helps as an anti-draft measure also. I think I saw tape over BrianMc`s helmet vents for that purpose.
    It has a huge impact on the scalp temps! All credits go to the late Sheldon Brown. I don't include the plastic eagle "hood" ornament he favored.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrianMc

This is my retired helmet. The new helmet is easier to tape.

weirdo
    I had to ride in a hard rain once . I had tried before to wear my jacket hood up with the helmet over it, but couldn`t figure out how to get it strapped around my chin that way, so that rainy day I left my helmet at work and rode home wtih just the hood. Is there a trick for strapping around a hood, or do you just let it all bunch up?

Wow, CB- that mudhill looks downright nasty . What "commute tires" do you mean? I hope you`re talking about the Nokians, and not the Schwalbes!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    +1 I might consider a 26er like that one for that price.
    You`d love it! BTW, this bike was a good buy, but I`m still wetting my pants over the deal I got on my last CL Specialized:
    Doh! I gots a dilema!
    I never posted the outcome of that one, but I confirmed that it was in fact an `88 model and I ended up selling it to my wife`s boss after all. I charged her what I had into it, which I think came to $129 including new chain, brake pads, two tires, and cable/housing for the RD.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I had to ride in a hard rain once . I had tried before to wear my jacket hood up with the helmet over it, but couldn`t figure out how to get it strapped around my chin that way, so that rainy day I left my helmet at work and rode home wtih just the hood. Is there a trick for strapping around a hood, or do you just let it all bunch up?
    The hoodie only requires a chin strap adjustment. The parka requires the pads to be removed, but he hood is enough padding. I also have a big head. Literally as you guys keep the figurative one right-sized.

BrianMc

Beachside
    Jun 2012
    On and off rain here in Florida, but no complaints because it wasn't cold!

I Ride for Donuts

Wow, CB- that mudhill looks downright nasty . What "commute tires" do you mean? I hope you`re talking about the Nokians, and not the Schwalbes!
    The Drifters. It was a wee bit sketchy

weirdo
    Is the second pic part of the new Bizz single track? Top one looks like the Hobo Camp cutoff. I`m off the weekend after Thanksgiving, gonna try once more to talk my wife into a day on the river. Probably won`t do much swimming!
    Recalculating....

Natural Born Killer
    This morning was a reason to celebrate. I just finished my first round trip commute in eight weeks, after having knee surgery. Rode home from work yesterday evening, it was 38 degrees. Had to leave work an hour and 15 minutes later than normal, so I got to watch the sunset and got home just before it was pitch dark. This morning it was 25 degrees and of course dark. I''l have some wardrobe adjustments to make and I'm not acclimated to the cold at all at this point, but overall it was a good shakedown run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Welcome back!

I took off for this morning's commute and thought, "Boy it's cold for 24 degrees". When I got to work I realized I had skipped a layer.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    This morning was a reason to celebrate. I just finished my first round trip commute in eight weeks, after having knee surgery. Rode home from work yesterday evening, it was 38 degrees. Had to leave work an hour and 15 minutes later than normal, so I got to watch the sunset and got home just before it was pitch dark. This morning it was 25 degrees and of course dark. I''l have some wardrobe adjustments to make and I'm not acclimated to the cold at all at this point, but overall it was a good shakedown run.
    What's the saying? Dress as if it's 10 degrees warmer (10F I assume) because that's what it'll feel like while riding? Good luck & stay safe

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    What's the saying? Dress as if it's 10 degrees warmer (10F I assume) because that's what it'll feel like while riding? Good luck & stay safe
    Or to put it another way: If you are cold at the trailhead, you'll be warm on the trail. If you are warm at the trailhead, you'll be too hot on the trail.

33 this morning when I left the house and I was cold for the first few minutes. Once I cranked up the first hill everything was warmed up and I was comfortable the rest of the way in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I spend the first mile of every morning commute shouting at the world about how damn cold it is out here, then 2 miles after that convincing myself to not break out at least my rain coat for an extra layer. Oddly the evenings start out much better for me.

I Ride for Donuts
    Is the second pic part of the new Bizz single track? Top one looks like the Hobo Camp cutoff.
    The second pic is the a connector that drops from the new singletrack down to the Bizz, maybe 1.5 miles up from Hobo... All of that stuff is on the shady side of the canyon and is really going to hold onto the snow. The top pic is Hobo, yes.

We've been having WET cold around here, which is weird. Foggy patches this morning, and everything is frosty or at least moist. 32 and wet is colder than 25 and dry.

mtbr member
    Hey CB, what gearing are you running on the Ogre? On my 29er I'm 1x8 with a 32 up front, and with the studded tires I'm never in my top gear. Just wondering if you've still got big chainrings on there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd also like to say that the space heater I've got running under my desk to warm up my chilly post-commute legs is possibly the best $25 I've spent in a very long time.

FKA Malibu412
    Train. Stopped on crossing. 30 minutes. Had to ride around to another crossing. 3 miles extra. Late. Love small towns.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams