Page 315 of 538 FirstFirst ... 215 265 305 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 325 365 415 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,875 of 13447
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    S* isn`t evil until you get tired of dealing with it . For me, that usually comes after multiple heavy dumps, but I guess if you`re tired of it as soon as you break out the shovel that first time, maybe it`s born evil!
    And that's where I am anymore after having lived in NJ for a few years and KS and IL as a child, then spent many years driving truck, winter after winter, in PacWest and Northern Plains (I-80,I-90,I-94 and even Canada's Saskatchewan as far as Prince Albert). All of them are really nice places, good people except for the sn*w, and even that wouldn't be bad but for having to deal with everybody else while dealing with the sn*w. Anybody who tells me that they don't get tired and disgusted about hearing the same things year after year about traffic accidents, injuries, building maintenance problems, and clothing issues that stem from weather conditions that happen every year, I think is telling a fib or might be Mary Poppins' nicer big sister.

CommuterBoy, with logs that size do you get approached by the custom furniture people much? I knew an old gent (who has since passed) who used to made tables and chairs, and would scour the PacWest for old,old, old growth trees. He said they always had the best grain for his projects.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Mmmm, FuxPix. Winter must be closing in
    I like those fenders.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    While I may get tired of stories of people failing at life where snow is involved, I never get tired of Youtube videos of people failing at driving in the snow.

Drove today. For some reason the glasses weren't nearly so foggy on the ride home. *shrug*

Having to leave work at 1:30 is killing me though. It cascades back to a 3 AM wakeup. How do you get up to work weird shifts, rodar?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Pitch black single track on the way home. At least the parts that weren't in the path of my lights. Being in the woods at night is different. Everything seems further apart.

And now for the snow story that nobody gets tired of. I had to bring out the studded tires for this morning's commute. Bet you haven't heard that one before.

CB, the hooker boots are horrible on flat pedals. I forgot what bike I was taking and put them on this morning. Instead of going back in and changing I figured what the heck. They worked just well enough to give me confidence to leave the driveway. Then I realized I probably should have just changed them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So apparently I was convinced today was Friday because I packed jeans and a non-collared shirt. Luckily, yesterday I knew that it was Wednesday and left a pair of khakis for Thursday. I was able to swipe a new shirt from our company's stash. I probably could have worn the one I had brought, but I discovered the wash hadn't removed a couple oil stains I suffered while cooking last week. But, hey, the commute was a pleasant 34F, so it wasn't all a disaster.

fux
    Scooterist
    Mmmm, FuxPix. Winter must be closing in
    I like those fenders.
    I don`t need motivation for sommer commuting, so normaly hang around here in the winter months looking at pictures of folk who have it tougher than me.

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I'm pretty sure the participation that was falling this morning would have looked like this under a microscope. Very stingy on the face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bicycle Addict
    Nice! Back to shorts weather in Denton, TX. High of 80 degrees today! WTF?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar.... yes 46" bar. Not my saw, but I certainly want one Mine is a 22... like a knife in a gunfight that day. After the 36" range, the saws don't get much heavier...just more expensive!

So this storm is apparently late. I was expecting wet this morning...instead I got crazy windy. I'm in this new world of having to decide when to throw the studded wheelset on... it's a little stressful. I didn't do it...maybe tonight?

Fux, nice ride. Nice pic.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    A fair bit of snow yesterday. They kept increasing the forecast so I'm not sure what we actually ended up with, but it's more than 15cm so probably somewhere in the 8~10" range. Riding on the fresh stuff my pedals were digging pretty deep holes. One of the suburbs shut down its transit, we closed a bunch of roads (which is pretty unheardof), and I got let out of work at 2:00 to get home safely. But of course I had to volunteer after work, so I hung around and headed out at rush hour.

And it was probably the nicest snowstorm I've ever ridden in. Normally when we get a bunch of snow it hangs around all loose and churned up, making riding a pain. But this time the roads are packed solid - to the point that I'd swear they were plowed even though I know they weren't. And I thought I'd have a quiet night at the bike co-op, but we had half a dozen people in working on various problems. And this morning it took me no extra time to get to work. Good storm, all around.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Having to leave work at 1:30 is killing me though. It cascades back to a 3 AM wakeup. How do you get up to work weird shifts, rodar?
    One help is that you eventually figure the best sleep schedules for your shifts just like you eventually figure out the right clothes combos for your commute. Once you get into a groove, it`s easier. I`m going on 18 years at the same place, so have all the shift variations pretty well worked out by now. The people whose schedules bounce around or who work all night and ferry the kids around between naps all day, I have no idea how they do it. Also, my normal shifts don`t have me getting up at 3AM- the odd times I have to do something like that, it hurts me too. What shift(s) do you work?
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    CommuterBoy, with logs that size do you get approached by the custom furniture people much? I knew an old gent (who has since passed) who used to made tables and chairs, and would scour the PacWest for old,old, old growth trees. He said they always had the best grain for his projects.
    This was a rare find... you can't just go cut old growth like that, even if it's dead. I have a friend who works for a land management company that negotiates timber sales, etc... this particular tree was on private land, and was cut because it was diseased, ...they found 'white speck' when they cut it into massive logs to go to the mill... it's a kind of fungus that weakens it and makes it bad for lumber apparently. A slab of it would have made an awesome table...but I don't know how weakened it was from the white speck. Looks like a bunch of little white dots within the rings, on maybe the outer foot or so...so it was only diseased for a hundred years or so Your old gent might not have wanted it. Sierra Pacific didn't want it. It burned good though!!

mtbr member
    Last night the woods were weird for me too. As I pedaled by one of the quarries, a loud beaver-tail slap made me jump. This morning I took a pic of their house, no sign of the critters though. I got 1/3 mile from home this morning before I realized I only had a hat on, not my helmet. Returned home for it since it also has a light on it I need for the way home. Also a pic of a cardinal under the feeder at my apple tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-beavers.jpg  

How was your commute today?-cardinal.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    One help is that you eventually figure the best sleep schedules for your shifts just like you eventually figure out the right clothes combos for your commute. Once you get into a groove, it`s easier. I`m going on 18 years at the same place, so have all the shift variations pretty well worked out by now. The people whose schedules bounce around or who work all night and ferry the kids around between naps all day, I have no idea how they do it. Also, my normal shifts don`t have me getting up at 3AM- the odd times I have to do something like that, it hurts me too. What shift(s) do you work?
    I don't have a shift per se, but I have to average 8 hours a day. Wasn't a problem until my wife decided a few weeks ago to start picking up shifts (3-4/week) that ran over the end of the school day, so I have to be home for the bus at 3:15 or so. Give myself extra time to get home in case of issues, plan on arriving at 2:30. An hour for the ride home = 1:30. 8 hours + 30 minute mandatory unpaid lunch (thanks, NY!) = 5:00. Another hour for the commute in = 4:00. Minus an hour to get ready = 3:00 AM.

And icing on the cake, I can't usually go to bed before the kid's bedtime, which is 8. So at *best* I can hope to be asleep by 9 and get in 6 hours of sleep. I haven't had much luck further reducing the time from wake up to on the bike (even an hour is pushing it).

I'm going to rig up a light and timer to flip on a few minutes before the alarm, and fix the thermostat schedule so it's actually warm when I get up (may not be worth it to bring the temp down for the night since my wife goes to bed around 10-11 most nights). We'll see if that makes a difference.

edit: also ordered Amazon.com: Topeak Turbo Morph Bike Pump with Gauge: Sports & Outdoors to replace the missing pump, and a small space heater to take the chills off of me in my office. Anybody else feel cold for hours after commuting in? I'm fine while I'm out but it's noon before I'm not shivering.

mtbr member
    Dark clouds hanging low over the mountains this morning, it's a nice change to the bright blue skies every morning.
    Been looking at frames to replace my old back up bike for weeks and keep coming back to the same three. Surly Ogre, Salsa Fargo, and Origin-8 CX700. Cant buy anything right now, but it's another good excuse to drool over the bike pr0n.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    You want the Ogre!! You want the Ogre!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Gotta admit CB your pics are the reason I started looking that direction. Since I don't have a dealer of any of the three closer than 75 miles I'll have to special order whatever I get QBP, depending on price and availability at that time. Not unless C'dale, Raleigh, Specialized, or Giant start building steel cx bikes with 2 inch or larger rear clearance and disc tabs. Will admit the Raleigh Roper has me a little curious, might have to see if the LBS has one next time I stop in, but those three are the short list.
    Last edited by junior1210; 11-09-2012 at 02:30 AM.

weirdo
    Sanath, maybe your wife could do the babysitting for the last few hours before the kids go to bed so you can get a head start with your own sleep? I guess you`d already be doing that if it were possible. Hats off to you and all the other hard working parents in this world- I can only imagine...

Snow flurries today . I woke up this afternoon to dirt drifts inside the front door (it was windy) and went outside to find mini snowdrifts illuminated by a red sunset. I don`t think I`ll "stud up" for tonight`s commute, but we`re off to a better start than last year. Come on, winter- don`t fail us again!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Also a pic of a cardinal under the feeder at my apple tree.
    Looks a little bit livelier than Brian`s cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You want the Ogre!! You want the Ogre!!
    But Junior would be better served with desert pattern camo!

My big stump pic is a rerun from another post. And I can`t claim the tree either since it was probably cut before I was born, but it`s the best I can do.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    You know winter's here when 36F starts to feel like a warm commute.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    30 degrees here this morning. Feels like winter to me...

Cool perspective pic rodar. That's a big stump! I don't have a big stump pic, but I have a big tree pic:

That's me standing on top.

mtbr member
    Nice tree Woodway. Rodar, I didn't realize that was a stump the first time around - impressive!

We got just enough snow (1") to make it a beautiful winter wonderland without any difficulty on the roads or trails. Some pics from last night and this morning. 23F this morning, so the snow wasn't sticking to the tire like last night when it was a bit warmer.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Some pics from last night and this morning.
    Not two, but THREE thumbs!
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Wooooo Hoooo we got some white stuff all up in this place.

1st "real" commute on the Nokians. I'm grinning from ear to ear. Untracked powder at home (maybe 6 inches?) to packed ice to slush that the plow threw up... good mix of conditions. Everyone says it, but ... I can't believe I didn't spring for these a few years ago. Worth. Every. Penny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-picture3.jpg  

How was your commute today?-picture4.jpg  

weirdo
    Hey, man! How come I didn`t get any of that???
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    None in Reno?? We got hit pretty good. Tapers off a lot though as you get out into the valley. I'm right up at the base of the mountains. Betting Verdi/Mogul got about what I got.