Page 314 of 420 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364414 ... LastLast
Results 15,651 to 15,700 of 20992
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Sure, but you have Moose and Bear and that keeps the Darwin principle alive and well.
    This is true. I hear bears find the wax used in handlebar mustaches to be quite tasty, which is why one does not see many of these facial hair abominations around here...

mtbr member
    No rain here, but it was into the 40s yesterday and should be again today. Grass is starting to peak through the foot of snow that we got last week. My almost brand-new chain is disgustingly rusty, even though I've been wiping it off everyday since the melt started.

And since it was warm enough to go hatless today I tried out my new helmet for the first time. I got it a month ago because I hate my old helmet...but I hadn't used it because my old helmet is just fine for the winter when I'm typically also wearing a beanie or a balaclava. Anyway, new helmet was nice and comfy.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jekylljim View Post
    Would love to commute by bike but I am too scared. My drive to work is mainly down B roads and like any road, there are loads of bad drivers.
    Unfortunately I think this is really common. I was apprehensive when I started as well, so I would drive most of the way to a park, from which my route was almost entirely on quieter streets with bike lanes. This helped me figure out the routine of bike commuting, and gave me more confidence sharing the road. I know it's not an option for everyone, but I would recommend something similar to anyone just starting out.

The other recommendation I would make is to find someone who commutes by bike and ride with them to work. This is easier said than done if you don't know anyone personally who rides to the same area you do, but there are some programs out there that help to match ride buddies for this reason (for example: Welcome to RideshareOnline.com). You could also check with local cycling groups or your LBS as well.

I'm a pretty firm believer that anyone can commute by bike with the right planning. If it's really something you want to do, there is nothing stopping you. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board that would be more than willing to answer whatever questions you may have!

guy
    Yesterday was quite uneventful which is nice. This morning was 35F with 20-30mph crosswinds which added a special little challenge to the ride. Got my replacement Serfas Thunderbolt last night. There were no issues getting it replaced, except for a minor miscommunication between the LBS and Serfas that delayed the process a bit, but I was in no hurry. I'm happy with how it worked out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Last commute of the semester today. The ride home seemed a lot faster, unburdened by thirty two pages of text. Unseasonably nice weather, 30 and a little sunshine convinced me to take the Jamis out again.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Two days off the bike here and I am going bonkers. Rain mix with sleet and cold temps told me to drive. Glad that I did because I don't have time for that garbage. 36F and sunny tomorrow, so I will be back on the bike. Did some damage today on my day off at REI getting some new gear which I told myself that I didn't need, but secretly, we all need new gear.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3208/6000

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for the rain jacket advice. I will probably get the one posted!

Today was really weird. 45F at 5am and 55 at 4pm. Ridicolous weather this time of year for the Pnw!
    The torture ends now.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Two days off the bike here and I am going bonkers. Rain mix with sleet and cold temps told me to drive. Glad that I did because I don't have time for that garbage. 36F and sunny tomorrow, so I will be back on the bike. Did some damage today on my day off at REI getting some new gear which I told myself that I didn't need, but secretly, we all need new gear.
    You're outta control, dude! Outta control. On one hand, what's the price of safety/efficiency? On the other, aren't you going to miss doing things in the redneck-fix-it-up-hoosier-ghetto kinda way? C'mon. As long as you don't say "git'r done" it's ok.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyTuning View Post
    Thank you guys for the rain jacket advice. I will probably get the one posted!

Today was really weird. 45F at 5am and 55 at 4pm. Ridicolous weather this time of year for the Pnw!
    No kidding! I got home from an extended 34-mile commute including some gravel roads, and here is the current conditions:

How was your commute today?-12-10-2014.jpg

Naturally it waited until I was as far from home as possible before it started to rain. But I went well-prepared with a pannier full of gear, and threw on one of my Value Village wool sweaters and my "intermediate" jacket, plus my ear-warmer, and slogged on home. Wet but alive.

The gravel roads out there were soft and very slow. The headwind on the outbound part of the ride was also a challenge. It was a good workout.

but secretly, we all need new gear.
    The Voices urge me to buy more gear as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    Unfortunately I think this is really common. I was apprehensive when I started as well, so I would drive most of the way to a park, from which my route was almost entirely on quieter streets with bike lanes. This helped me figure out the routine of bike commuting, and gave me more confidence sharing the road. I know it's not an option for everyone, but I would recommend something similar to anyone just starting out.

The other recommendation I would make is to find someone who commutes by bike and ride with them to work. This is easier said than done if you don't know anyone personally who rides to the same area you do, but there are some programs out there that help to match ride buddies for this reason (for example: Welcome to RideshareOnline.com). You could also check with local cycling groups or your LBS as well.

I'm a pretty firm believer that anyone can commute by bike with the right planning. If it's really something you want to do, there is nothing stopping you. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board that would be more than willing to answer whatever questions you may have!
    Thank you for the positive inspiration and advice!

If I do start, I will definately start in the summer when there is more light at the end of the day. I have been put off as I know someone who was killed on their commute. I don't normally let this kind of thing put me off but some reason it has. You could die on the sofa playing GTA 5 but I dont let that stop me! :-)

Huckin' trails

How was your commute today?

Gonna ride in 1' of snow today, hopefully drivers won't be too douchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Don't you just hate it when you can't get your morning poop in before your commute, then Half way through your commute you gotta go? Good thing my commute is only 30 minutes.

On a good note, the weather was fantastic again. 45 when I headed out. This is just insane for the PNW. at least on the east side of Wa.
    The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM. 13F at the house, 16F in town. Flipped back to flats so I could wear my winter boots. Wise choice, I think. I could have ridden clipless with shoe covers, but didn't want to deal with cold toes at the end of the ride, particularly as I am thinking about trying to get two hours on the bike before heading to the bus this afternoon.

Found out that the contract I am on right now is being closed out in early January so I'll be moving to a new client/position/contract soon. The one it looks like they will move me to placed me in an office two blocks from the bus stop, so it would greatly reduce my commuting time and distance, but would also require me to follow a standard 8 hour x 5 day a week schedule instead of my current 10X4-ish schedule (Some weeks its 9X5, some 8X6, some 11X4 - you get the picture). So I figure I should get in as much bike time as I can. If I do end up at that office I'm still trying to decide if I'll even bring my bike to town or if I will leave it in the valley in the bike boxes at the bus stop and just walk in town - which is fine, unless I need to go to the home office or anywhere else out of the downtown corridor. I'm also not sure how I'll handle less physical activity - might have to really, seriously, start running again over lunch hour. Egad.

mtbr member
    45F on the way in this morning. Really wanted to take my fixie (for the first time in forever) but realized that I've already got one bike that's covered in disgusting road slime, and there was no point in dirtying a second one.

Tomorrow morning is #CoffeeOutside, which is an idea someone in town apparently stole from Portland? Cyclists are meeting up on my (alternate) route to work for coffee and bike chat. So I might have to leave early and attend...possibly with luke-warm tea in my insulated camelbak bottle.

Moderator Moderator
    Ive been spending my mornings shoveling and snowshoeing with the dogs instead of bikecommuting the last 2 days. Also, the power is out, which you would think would keep you from eating up time surfing the web and watching the news, but it also takes more time to do stuff in the dark and without conveniences like the coffeemaker. It may be out until Saturday, but the outage website went down, so who knows. The cell tower must have gone down too, as I no longer have cell service at home. Thankfully the Ipod is still working and I have several audiobooks on it.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well it was breezy this morning. Rodar, how's it going over there? The semi trucks are stacked up over here waiting for them to open the road to "high profile vehicles"... No trees down at my place...we'll see what the day/night bring.

Hurricane-Force 135 MPH Wind Gusts Recorded In Sierra « CBS San Francisco
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    ^^ ^^ MTXB, At least you get to post to MTBR at work. And hey, you didn't mention why you were pulled over by the cops. You can't just mention that and let it go.

^^ CB, I was wondering how you were doing with the 90MPH winds.

I had to take a car today too, boo. Appointment after work, didn't want to show up wet.

Bedwards Of The West
    More of a crosswind than a headwind for my commute today... some of Forrest Gump's "stinging rain"... Probably 20 or 30mph winds during the 40 minutes I was out there. Brutal, but not unbearable. It was gusting WAY harder than that overnight at my place... I was looking for downed trees in the neighborhood this morning, but didn't see any.

I fabbed a sweet ghetto trash bag backpack cover for the first time this morning... worked awesome, but I was awarded zero style points, and the big floppy corners were sticking up into the wind and poppoppoppoppoppoppoppoppoppopoppoppoppop-ing all the way to town in the raging wind. Gotta tape those suckers down for version 2.0.
    The ol' North Face backpack is dying a slow death... now one of the zippers is going, and it's even less rain-friendly.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I'm also not sure how I'll handle less physical activity - might have to really, seriously, start running again over lunch hour. Egad.
    Hmmm. Second bike at the office?

Sorry you have such hatred for handlebar mustaches. Mine covers scars from going face first into an ice covered snowbank. Rendering my upper lip nearly impossible to shave cleanly. Are droopy ones OK?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ ^^ MTXB, At least you get to post to MTBR at work. And hey, you didn't mention why you were pulled over by the cops. You can't just mention that and let it go.
    + 1

The Duchess has not been ridden in some time. Hoping to sneak a ride in around all the holiday duties.

Huckin' trails

Mtbx, you should cone visit us in Montreal while they wire it back in your neighborhood. We rarely get power outage, maybe 5 times a year and never for more than an hour, usually it's during summer time due to maintenance on the grid with the new constructions. I hope your house is running on combustible heat furnace and not electrical heating :/
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    Yay the power is back on unexpectedly early, and despite passing some dark houses on the hill home. Frozen pizza and TV and beer to celebrate. No dsl but the phone works.
    The cop was in a side lot and asked how you doing (good) and where you headed (Barre, another 4 miles)*from the SUV as i struggled by, then pulled out and turned on the blue lights. Basically a safety check and asked if I could call someone. I said no but I would take the bus if it got worse. He said he just didn't want me to get hit but also said he couldn't stop me and lights etc were good.

weirdo
    Sorry, CB. The Big Storm is even more anticlimactic down here than what your account suggests. Overcast, certainly windy, but nothing wild, and no rain at all yet. Sounds like it hit pretty good on the coast side of the Sierra, though. No work tonight (or the next three, woohoo) and still looks like a good chance at getting over Donner Summit tomorrow without having to chain up.

Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    The Voices urge me to buy more gear as well!
    Great, it`ll get along famously with the new frame!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The cop was in a side lot and...
    ...He said he just didn't want me to get hit but also said he couldn't stop me and lights etc were good.
    That`s kind of cool, really.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    snow snow happy snow! with the exception of the mandatory Jeep-itude I was happily knobbing about like a bad thing. Even though I have a kitchenaid mixer in my bakcpack. (those things're HEAVY!)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Mtbx, you should cone visit us in Montreal while they wire it back in your neighborhood. We rarely get power outage, maybe 5 times a year and never for more than an hour, usually it's during summer time due to maintenance on the grid with the new constructions. I hope your house is running on combustible heat furnace and not electrical heating :/
    Thanks for the invite to see Montreal again! The oil furnace didn't work but i have a gas fired woodstove- looking thing that kept it warm enough in the livingroom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Tomorrow morning is #CoffeeOutside, which is an idea someone in town apparently stole from Portland? Cyclists are meeting up on my (alternate) route to work for coffee and bike chat. So I might have to leave early and attend...possibly with luke-warm tea in my insulated camelbak bottle.
    That's an amazing idea! Just stole it from you. Just posted the idea to the local cycling community boards where I'm at. How often does it meet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    That's an amazing idea! Just stole it from you. Just posted the idea to the local cycling community boards where I'm at. How often does it meet?
    Apparently every Friday, and tomorrow is week #3, and every week is at a different centralish location on the mups. Not sure why they started this in late November in Alberta, but tomorrow should be above freezing so I figure I should take advantage of the nice weather.

Huckin' trails
    Thanks for the invite to see Montreal again! The oil furnace didn't work but i have a gas fired woodstove- looking thing that kept it warm enough in the livingroom.
    Sweet Glad you're alright !

I just noticed, you got promoted to Moderator ? Congrats !

I'd rather be on my bike
    Windy! I hate hate hate riding into the wind. It just sucks the life and soul out of me, especially in the 30's. At least the sun was out. Stopped in to my buddies shop to adjust the headset that I thought was slightly loose and shoot the bs for a few minutes. He enjoyed the company and I like hanging out there. Dressed well for the ride in, the ride home was a different story. Feet were talking to me as I got close to home. New gloves worked fairly well. New rear light is good, mount sucks though on an aero post.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Sweet Glad you're alright !

I just noticed, you got promoted to Moderator ? Congrats !
    Well I did enjoy that pizza and a shower but then the power went out again!
    Mod in the Womens Lounge so behave if you visit over there!

Huckin' trails

Hahaha, poor you, I hope they sort it out soon !

Huckin' trails

After shoveling it all clean yesterday, we had another 2 cm of snow over night. The streets aren't too bad at least.

CB of the East
    ...The cop was in a side lot and asked how you doing (good) and where you headed (Barre, another 4 miles)*from the SUV as i struggled by, then pulled out and turned on the blue lights. Basically a safety check and asked if I could call someone. I said no but I would take the bus if it got worse. He said he just didn't want me to get hit but also said he couldn't stop me and lights etc were good.
    You Rebel!

I keep hoping that the temp dips below freezing so the heavy wet snow freezes solid enough to ride on top. No such luck again. It was about 32 this AM. Pretty though.
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Commutes have been pretty decent this week. Temps have been pleasant and no precipitation. This morning was the coldest of the week, and it was 25F and sunny, which I wouldn't mind all winter.

A guy was hit this morning by two cars. I guess the one hit him and the guy bounced into another lane and was hit again. I'm thinking it's not looking good for him. It sounds like he was riding in the dark without a light, reflective clothing, or a helmet. The guy clearly wasn't taking preventative measures, but it's still sad.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Great commute this morning. Temps were in the high 20's this morning with a high of 65 predicted. Ride home will be a drag as my feet are going to roast.

I'm on the road at around 6:30 because I bike 12.5 miles to work and it takes me about 45 minutes. I allow extra time for changing clothes when I get to work and the possibility of a flat on the ride in. So, around 7 am, with the sun just barely up, I come across an older gent, obviously retired, riding along the path headed toward me, when he pulls over and stops to snap some pics. I've seen him before stopped along the trail taking pics. What a badass! A biker and a poet. I mean, what are pics if not graphic poetry? He rides the same loop I do and probably more, early in the am and in the freezing cold, just to snap some pics. I'd like to see those pics sometime.

mtbr member
    So #CoffeeOutside was nice and fun this morning. Met about ten other cyclists. We shared route info, complained about drivers, complained about infrastructure, and talked winter riding.

One fatbike, a few cyclocross, two 29ers (including mine) and a few 26ers. I think I was one of the few people with studded tires, which was a bit of a surprise. I had planned to take my fixie again, but this time I realized it doesn't have a bottlecage, so I grabbed the big bike instead.

I need to rethink my beverage choice, since a diuretic like green tea was a poor plan for 45 minutes of standing around.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I need to rethink my beverage choice, since a diuretic like green tea was a poor plan for 45 minutes of standing around.

Lol. I bet it made the last bit of your commute fun!

I met up with another guy riding a cross bike at an intersection. We both groused about the fact that it was going to hit 65 today and how hot the ride home was going to be. A month ago I never would have thought the day would come that I would complain about it being 65, lol.

I'd rather be on my bike
    That temperature change is a nightmare for commuters. My difference between commutes is usually only about 10 degrees or so. A 45 degree change is huge. Think about it, that is the difference between 45F and 90F. That is a big difference. Good luck with your feet.

mtbr member
    Apparently every Friday, and tomorrow is week #3, and every week is at a different centralish location on the mups. Not sure why they started this in late November in Alberta, but tomorrow should be above freezing so I figure I should take advantage of the nice weather.
    Awesome thanks. I started getting one going here in Salt Lake City. Going to try for every two weeks and rotate spot/day. This is perfect for encouraging winter commuting because we have atrocious winter pollution and the mayor/city gov't is very pro-cycling

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was actually a little too warm on the ride in when it was 34F, I think I'm going to ditch the balaclava for just my light weight skull cap on the ride home.

Forgot to plug in my handlebar light to charge until about an hour before quitting time, so we'll see if it makes it all the way home. Can always turn up the helmet light if needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    Awesome thanks. I started getting one going here in Salt Lake City. Going to try for every two weeks and rotate spot/day. This is perfect for encouraging winter commuting because we have atrocious winter pollution and the mayor/city gov't is very pro-cycling
    Is #CoffeeOutside a Twitter thing I guess? I don't do social media that much... But I do ride to work in Salt Lake City. I'll resume riding to work after Christmas, as long as the air isn't sh*t. I'd be happy to meet up for folks and BS over a cup of my home roasted coffee.

The poor winter air quality actually stops me from riding when its above 15g/m3 or so.

Huckin' trails

One block after leaving the parking lot on my bike, I came across another young man who had his old Civic stuck big time in the snow bank. Turns out he backed right into it like a champion this morning and the undercarriage went surfing on the snow, then every iced up around the wheels during the day and now his traction wheels weren't even touching the ground. I shouted to give him a hand as I passed by and he got back to me right away. After several minutes of digging out ice with our work boots and some lumber he had in the trunk, we managed to push the vehicle forward enough for the front wheels to grab on and pulled out of the misery. We both had fun getting some exercise

This morning, it was kinda rough and very slippery with the wax-like potato mashed brown sugar 1/2" of snow on the small one way street I ride all the way to school. Rock'n roll, but still enjoyable and overall no complain with drivers today.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The ride in was alright, windy as usual, and slow or at least it felt slow. Bought the inserts for the Defrosters and after having them in for less than 45 seconds they came right back out and are being returned. They are not at all what I need. I simply cannot get the boot to be comfortable on my foot. The left one is alright, but the right is hassling me big time. They keep my feet nice and warm which is really nice but they are just horrible to have on my feet. They add some lift to my feet so I have to adjust my seat post which I have not done yet. Thought it might be in my head but talked to the guy who sold them to me at the shop and he agreed. OK. Seriously? 32F on the ride in.

The ride home? 32F. Cold and 100% humidity. Fog. Light misty rain that renders clear glasses useless. Wet roads and temps hovering right around the freezing mark on slick skinny tires on a fixed gear? Damnit. I hate that!!!! Decided to run my front light on as a flasher only through the city to maximize visibility. Nearly got hit twice. Apparently a 320 lumen front light on flash is invisible.

I usually am in a good mood when I get home from work, especially on a Friday night and having the weekend off. I am in a bad mood. I love the boots, and hate them at the same time. Still cannot get the cleat adjusted where I need it. Have debated on selling them, taking the slight loss and looking elsewhere. I don't know what to do with them. Maybe I have a faulty right boot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Is #CoffeeOutside a Twitter thing I guess? I don't do social media that much... But I do ride to work in Salt Lake City. I'll resume riding to work after Christmas, as long as the air isn't sh*t. I'd be happy to meet up for folks and BS over a cup of my home roasted coffee.

The poor winter air quality actually stops me from riding when its above 15g/m3 or so.
    I don't do twitter either. That seems to be part of the spreading of it. Do you do facebook? There's a group on there called SaltCycle. Search it out and all things cycling going on in the city are posted/discussed there. Otherwise, I'll try to announce it on the Utah forum here.

And yeah, I don't ride when the air is bad although I do have a mask for it. But those days I bus/walk and the hope is people doing that will join too.

mtbr member
    Decided to run my front light on as a flasher only through the city to maximize visibility. Nearly got hit twice. Apparently a 320 lumen front light on flash is invisible.
    It might be invisible. Setting up lights for drivers to see is trickier than slapping on a light.

How fast is the flash - or more importantly: how long is it off? In one second at 17 mph a cyclist travels about 25 feet. Scale from there or convert to metric if you wish.

Then there is the driver doing a quick glance each way and he catches the off part of the cycle. How visible/intense is it from a cross street on either side? All of these issues became apparent when I attempted to video my lights with the camera where a driver's eyes would be.

Lastly, there is the 'filter' effect of drivers only looking only for cars and not registering the cyclist. Unless the cyclist's lights are unusual (brightness or pattern) burn through that filter into the driver's conscious awareness you will not be seen even if the driver is staring at you. Daytime lights need to be very bright to cut through that mental haze.

Putting myself in the driver's shoes (I am one, too) to appraise my lights has paid dividends. It may also have made me a lot less forgiving because I know exactly what I am giving them. They are driving way too inattentively if they don't see me.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am currently running this light up front. The video shows the different modes it has. The flash cycle is short enough that you simply cannot not see it.

My guess is that the drivers are not looking for bikes. That is unfortunate as there is a bike lane on this particular road that is near the campus, so drivers should be paying attention for them.

NDD
    Baby boy
    50 degrees in December. Outrageous. Made for a nice and quick commute to and from the restored watershed I volunteer at. Made for good outside working weather, too. Done with finals, got to bike, and got to volunteer today. Feeling like a winner.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am currently running this light up front. The video shows the different modes it has. The flash cycle is short enough that you simply cannot not see it.

My guess is that the drivers are not looking for bikes. That is unfortunate as there is a bike lane on this particular road that is near the campus, so drivers should be paying attention for them.
    I use another Cygolite model. The daytime strobe is wicked and would catch my eye from great distances, even my peripheral vision. You're on the right track.

On my commute, there's a section with a bike lane alongside a row of parked cars. They can obstruct me from view until I'm almost into an intersection, so people trying to pull out from my near side (the right-hand side in the United States) can sometimes get Bicycle Surprise as they begin to roll out into my path. This is particularly an issue if the parked vehicle that's closest to the intersection is big, like a pickup with a canopy. It would be helpful if the City would eliminate that last parking spot whenever putting in a bike lane, so there's more reaction time.

If it's a smaller vehicle or one they can see through, like a mini-van, then a helmet light may help in that scenario. And/or I can just get out into the "everyone lane" where I'm visible sooner (and where people are probably expecting traffic to be found), or anticipate the issue and be ready to react.

If they have a clear line of sight and still don't notice you with a Cygolite daytime strobe, they obviously aren't doing their duty. But the next countermeasures to consider would be hi-vis outerwear if you don't have that already, and some sort of helmet light you can aim straight at them.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    50 degrees in December. Outrageous. Made for a nice and quick commute to and from the restored watershed I volunteer at. Made for good outside working weather, too. Done with finals, got to bike, and got to volunteer today. Feeling like a winner.
    ^5 NDD, sounds like a damn good day!!

mtbr member
    I am currently running this light up front. My guess is that the drivers are not looking for bikes. That is unfortunate as there is a bike lane on this particular road that is near the campus, so drivers should be paying attention for them.
    I like the "Lightning Mode". The real proof is in the seeing. Theoretical doesn't work with your life and limb on the line. For example, the old PB Superflash with 50+ hours on its cells still looked pretty good sitting there. Not so on the bike viewed from a car. The cheap way to get a handle on how a light looks is to have the bike (secure or with a friend) as you try different distances and angles from it. I am not saying that the light is inadequate (I actually like it a lot and had good luck with a Cygolite HD light in the past), but that knowing how you appear to drivers helps.

I like the not quite off and more rapid pulsing though epileptics may not.

Information overload is another issue with too much background lights and the brighter car lights have upped the ante to stand out. That may be occurring but with so many pedestrians and cyclists, it seems unwise to not up the attention if you are driving in that environment. Still, if they are glancing to see if they can roll the stop rather than stopping and looking to see if they can go, they are much less likely to see us.

Sucks. But reality so often does.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I will check it out tomorrow night since the temps will be up. I will be sure to post my findings.