Page 314 of 631 FirstFirst ... 214 264 304 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 324 364 414 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 15770
    Swedetarded
    In a slight miscalculation this morning, I should have been on studs.

Both thermos at my house said it was above freezing. 2 blocks away and there is frost on the cars and that look on the street.

Doin' the Gatorskin Tiptoe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A rough summary of my morning ride with my new cycling glasses, care of my phone's awful front-facing camera. I couldn't be more disappointed with the glasses. Not only did they fog at the slightest provocation, but they refused to unfog once I got going, despite providing almost no wind protection for my eyes. I suppose they'd at least keep the bugs out of my eyes when it gets warmer. Am I expecting too much?

Also in the shipment with the awful-glasses: tubes and tire levers to carry with me. Except I can't find my portable pump anywhere, so now if I get a flat I can change the tube and then stare at it, wishing I could inflate it as well.

Mittens and boots aren't nearly as awkward as I had feared. Also today's the first day I put a hat under my helmet and while I was warmer, I question how much protection the helmet will provide with all that stuff between it and my head. It sits very high, as it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-img_20121107_062509.jpg  

weirdo
    Liking the new clock. I get just enough light to give me half a chance at riding up the road cut on skinnies now, and it still isn`t in my eyes- I was worried about that for a while because I`m on a new semi-shift, going in and going home one hour before the times I`m used to.

Since you posted, I take it your tiptoe commute went well enough, BBG. Hope you don`t freeze back up before its time to ride home again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Except I can't find my portable pump anywhere, so now if I get a flat I can change the tube and then stare at it, wishing I could inflate it as well.
    Stare at it through fogged up glasses!
    Bummer they don`t cut it, but I don`t know what to tell you. Seems like you`re getting cheated by the combination of not blocking the air AND not clearing when you roll. Since it`s usually pretty dry in my neighborhood, mine only when I stop, then they unfog again within minute of restarting. The biggest issue I face is that those times when they fog up are usually when I have to stop for traffic, which is when I most need them to be clear. Glad the mittens are working out, at least.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    14F when I left, but already up to 20F when I got to work. Some nice morning mist out on the #6 quarry. The historical sign talks about the quarry, but the lower left pic also shows the big stone wall from my pic a week or 2 ago. I always thought that wall was a trestle, but the sign says it was just built with non-spec stone to keep the grout piles (junk rock) from falling into the RR bed between the 2 walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-pb072495.jpg  

How was your commute today?-pb072497.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting

Mountain Bike Wednsday

I got to ride the trails that I worked on over the weekend. Among others, we took down a HUGE hemlock and chipped most of the branches. Another crew cleared the singletrack of all of the leaves just to the width of the trail, about a foot wide. Riding it is really fun (sorry, no pics of that)

This morning I tried riding in goggles. My eyes were 100% tear free but I had fogging problems on the slow, hard up-hill sections. Double pane goggles are on order-I really liked the no tearing thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-11-07-07.08.39.jpg  

How was your commute today?-2012-11-07-07.10.25.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    I spotted this pretty healthy buck about to hop the fence and cross the road up ahead on the left as I crested the hill... I drew my weapon from my chest pocket, activated camera mode, switched hands, and got this shot off left handed on the way by as he crossed behind me. you can almost tell he's a deer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-11-07_06-40-54_351.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Snow! Took the big bike this morning since we're supposed to get 5~10cm. It started snowing just before I left, and it's definitely coming down, but it's not crazy or anything.

But when I got to work I discovered that the pockets on the front of my reflective vest were completely packed with snow. I'd been riding along with a pair of snowboobs and hadn't even noticed.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^ Sanath, have you tried any of these treatments?

Anti-Fog Remedies for Eyeglasses | eHow.com

^^ CB: Looks like the rare Rocky Mountain Tripod deer, to me.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

BrianMc
    Are they similar to the Arkansas Three Legged Chicken?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^^^^^ Sanath, have you tried any of these treatments?

Anti-Fog Remedies for Eyeglasses | eHow.com

BrianMc
    I have not. Got them in a box last night, wore them for the first time this morning. They're just cheapos from PricePoint. Maybe I'll try shaving cream or get some rain-x. Maybe I'll just send them back since the wind coverage isn't good either.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't think these have caught on from previous recommendations, but I like the glasses with a layer of foam rubber against your eyesocket. They block out more wind and help with fogging some by blocking your warm breath too. I find them a good compromise between regular glasses and goggles. Mine are from Panoptyx (from Sierra trading Post), but Iíve also seen less expensive versions in the moto section of Walmart etc.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice pix CB & Bedwards.

I Ride for Donuts
    MTBX, tis the season for the steam coming off of water... I've been seeing that in the golf course lake and irrigation ditches lately. Cool pics!

Bedwards, your second pic looks like how I've been spending my weekends lately. October is 'upper body month'... I always split it all by hand, but the past couple years I've committed to splitting it all with my 15 pound orange axe of death. Shoulders and abs are feeling it...almost done.

...Steel is real.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    CB, bedwards and mtbx - thanks for keeping me entertained with your photos!

I'd love to post pics, but I am riding in the dark both ways now, so all you would see is this:

Sanath, good luck on the eye cover. I wish I had suggestions but I went through the same process as you a few years ago and finally gave up on eye wear because I could never get past the fogging.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Bedwards, your second pic looks like how I've been spending my weekends lately. October is 'upper body month'... I always split it all by hand, but the past couple years I've committed to splitting it all with my 15 pound orange axe of death. Shoulders and abs are feeling it...almost done.

...Steel is real.
    I brought a truck load of the oak that we took down that was nearly as big around as the ones in your pic. I was going to let it dry a while before I attempted splitting it, also by hand.

I saw 2 deer this AM too but I was more daft than deft with the camera so they got away. They were on the game preserve during hunting season. Smart ones.

I Ride for Donuts
    This was my record... we measured it at 5' inside the bark. Douglass Fir. Old growth, baby. I had a connection on private land. We had to make two passes with a saw that had a 46" bar. I put 5 rounds on my trailer and got two flat tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Holy Moly! That's quite a Christmas tree.

Moderator Moderator
    Some of your Douglas fir ended up right here at the quarries for the boom derricks for moving stone out of the hole with horse or steam power. About 3' across & 100' tall and cut into an octogon shape, and with metal rungs for some lucky guy to climb. They've switched to steel, but there are still a bunch of wooden ones around, in or around the older quarries.

I Ride for Donuts
    Cool, who knew?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    mmm... warm thoughts there concerning PBS fundraisers Yup, much better than a coffee cup.
    I`ve been voting early for years too. Is that option not available in most places, or do the rest of you who voted today just prefer it that way? Cold (relatively) and sunny today- I like that combo for some reason. But the very best is cold-sunny-fresh snow.
    I've done both, early/mail-in and in-person and I guess it is the sense of community at the polls that I like instead of sitting at home doing it.

Weather models predicting 1-2 inches on Friday night/Saturday, too bad I'll be in Phoenix instead (I live in the mountains, so yes, it does snow here in AZ). I doubt that any shops in PHX carry studs, but I'll do a look-see while I'm down there. Frankly though, if I'm shopping, it will be for quality craft beer not bike stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    I've done both, early/mail-in and in-person and I guess it is the sense of community at the polls that I like instead of sitting at home doing it.

Weather models predicting 1-2 inches on Friday night/Saturday, too bad I'll be in Phoenix instead (I live in the mountains, so yes, it does snow here in AZ). I doubt that any shops in PHX carry studs, but I'll do a look-see while I'm down there. Frankly though, if I'm shopping, it will be for quality craft beer not bike stuff.
    Believe it or not it even has sn*wed down here once or twice in the last couple of years, maybe as much as 1/2 inch. Hopefully not ever again, but evil happens everywhere eventually.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    46 inch bar !?! Holy cow, that must weigh a ton by the time you finish making a cut! Do you swap engines back and forth between the saw and your BigOrange?

Another storm on the way. It`s WINDY- not by hurricane standards, but I`d better leave myself an extra 50% time wise for tonight`s battle against it. Currently 55F, and supposed to drop to 16F by Fri morning with chances for snow showers from tomorrow morning through Sat. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    (I live in the mountains, so yes, it does snow here in AZ).
    I believe you Spatialized. About 15 years ago, I got snowed in while trying to get to the south rim in early spring- ended up hunkering down in the Williams Super 8 for two days while waiting for the conditions to improve. Then about 3 or 4 years ago, driving from SLC to Chandler at Christmas time, we got caught in a storm that we didn`t have time to wait out- had to chain up shortly after Kanab and couldn`t unchain until well past Flagstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Believe it or not it even has sn*wed down here once or twice in the last couple of years, maybe as much as 1/2 inch. Hopefully not ever again, but evil happens everywhere eventually.
    S* isn`t evil until you get tired of dealing with it . For me, that usually comes after multiple heavy dumps, but I guess if you`re tired of it as soon as you break out the shovel that first time, maybe it`s born evil!
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    After being rained on Monday, Tuesday and this morning, had a pretty nice evening to ride home. Sun was setting as I left the office, no wind, low 40's, all in all a nice night to ride home.

But I had an interesting encounter...pulled up to a stoplight behind a guy, probably early-30's, on a mountain bike, wearing black, no reflectors, no lights, no helmet - classic bike ninja. I was thinking about saying something to the guy about using a light or reflective vest when another guy rolls up and pretty rudely tells the ninja that there is a helmet law and he needs to be wearing a helmet. The ninja uses some four-letter words to tell the guy to mind his own business. And a verbal back-and-forth helmet debate ensued. Right around this point the light turned green and I rolled off not waiting to see how things turned out.

Personally, I could care a less about the helmet thing (unless it's a kid and then I will say something). I always wear a helmet and always made my kids wear them too, but if your an adult it's your call and none of my business. But I hate bike (and walk/jog) ninjas because they are a threat to my well-being...

weirdo
    ^^Being seen by kids is the biggest reason that I wear a helmet on while riding on paved roads. Hate to put the parents in a position of trying to explain why the kid has to, even though "that guy" just rode by without one.
    Recalculating....

fux
    Scooterist

No snow here yet, but there are som ice patches. I`ll be fitting my Marathon winters this weekend. Its also nice to be back on a cyclocross with disk brakes.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/