Page 298 of 420 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308348398 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,900 of 20999
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Slowest commute ever. Just terrible. At least I had this sweet jersey to match my new bike
    Alex, not sure if it was the cell phone camera or the effort expended, but your face matches the red trim on the Grinch bike. The overall coordination is just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    - fat bike commutes are the slowest possible. I feel like I got passed by a kid on a Strider the last time I rode mine in to work.
    Still faster than a Spotted Salamander, though? (Mtbrexplorer reference, and running gag.)

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Well, I'm back at it after a bit of a forced break. Suffice it to say that there has been some bad juju around me lately and I hope that it's finally done. Broken frames are involved as well as broken skin. I hate to redirect, but don't want to rehash it all here.
    Yes, not quite dead yet, but are you stronger? Glad you made it.

Nice ride today. Our hills are really valleys so you can't see them coming. If the video shows well I will post it to show that we do have climbs even though we have a lack of hills above the horizon. Negative hills as it were.

BrianMc

CB of the East
    Well, I'm back at it after a bit of a forced break....
    Heck of a story. I had a similar seat post experience with my cross check but it didn't go that far. Luckily I wanted to raise it up 1/4" and caught it before it went too far. It's well greased now. I think I'll go check my pugs. (Snowblind white, XL Frame )

Commutes are still good, I extended mine to 30 miles this morning. Chilly!

mtbr member

As for the fat bike, they feel like absolute tanks on the road. On the trail they feel pretty good. I haven't ridden mine much because my nice weather days of commuting are growing slim, like this week it is supposed to be nice and sunny all week so I am taking the fixed gear to work. When the weather turns to garbage, that fattie is coming out of hiding and will be my work horse.
    I agree and I disagree, Ten. This coming from a guy who's ridden his fatty ~8K miles this year.

Riding on pavement can be a lot slower with the fatty depending on: tire pressure, tire tread. There's an interesting article on Scwhalbe's site about wider tires being more efficient to a point.

What I've found is that for my fat but running 18psi in the back and 16 to 18 in the front is the sweet spot for my commuting. Like I've said here before, I can easily manage a 17mph average on my commute - similar to what I rode on my full squish mtb. I'm rolling on Knard rear and Larry front right now. When I put the Nates on, whoa... it does feel like riding through fresh concrete, but... still more fun than any other bike I've ridden.

Heck, you could really go all out and do a fat fixie. That would definitely get you some hipster points, right?

It is good to be back on the bike and I think the string might be broken. Well, maybe. I'll see if I can go a week without breaking anything else!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Heck, you could really go all out and do a fat fixie. That would definitely get you some hipster points, right?
    I always thought big tubes in skinny tires were more of a hipster thing, but what do I know...

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

I agree and I disagree, Ten. This coming from a guy who's ridden his fatty ~8K miles this year.

Riding on pavement can be a lot slower with the fatty depending on: tire pressure, tire tread. There's an interesting article on Scwhalbe's site about wider tires being more efficient to a point.

What I've found is that for my fat but running 18psi in the back and 16 to 18 in the front is the sweet spot for my commuting. Like I've said here before, I can easily manage a 17mph average on my commute - similar to what I rode on my full squish mtb. I'm rolling on Knard rear and Larry front right now. When I put the Nates on, whoa... it does feel like riding through fresh concrete, but... still more fun than any other bike I've ridden.

It is good to be back on the bike and I think the string might be broken. Well, maybe. I'll see if I can go a week without breaking anything else!
    Yeah I think with another tire it'd be a lot faster on the road, but I was still very happy riding it today. I liked the Nates on trail when I demoed a pug, and pretty sure from the terrain I hit on the way back that I like them even more on the Marge lites I ended up getting (demo had holy Daryls). Will probably ride them through winter then look for something faster. Hopefully I won't have to sell all my other bikes to afford them
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Typical morning from last week:
    Attachment 926083
    Nice pic!

So I have to park outside now, and with the first real rain of the season approaching, I'm wondering if anyone has any strategies for pampering their indoor bike when it has to sit outside. I was thinking about getting one of those motorcycle covers for it...something I could stash here at work that would at least keep it out of the elements? Stupid?
    I crabbed until we got a dingy spot for a bike rack in the garage, but I have also loosened up my standards, figuring the clean rain/snow that falls on it outside while parked is actually a lot cleaner than the wet road grime and road salt I ride it through, possibly actually a net benefit. If stuff freezes up and won't work, that's no good. I sometimes move it into a super-heated unauthorized spot between the double automatic doors for the last half hour in winter after most have left.

Moderator Moderator
    Well, I'm back at it after a bit of a forced break. Suffice it to say that there has been some bad juju around me lately and I hope that it's finally done. Broken frames are involved as well as broken skin. I hate to redirect, but don't want to rehash it all here. So will point you here instead. Might be worth your time. Pictures included.
    Yeah, a bit of a rough patch there, blockphi! Glad you lived to tell the tale. I got a bit scared when Drano was mentioned.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sunset last night demonstrated the good side of forest fires.
    Pretty, but kinda eerie too.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Well, I'm back at it after a bit of a forced break. Suffice it to say that there has been some bad juju around me lately and I hope that it's finally done. Broken frames are involved as well as broken skin. I hate to redirect, but don't want to rehash it all here. So will point you here instead. Might be worth your time. Pictures included.

The ride in this AM was a bit chilly. 34F at my house with wonderful Northern Lights out. A touch warmer in town, but not too much. Need to be cautious on the bridges on the bike paths - a bit frosty this AM and the new metal covered ones on the Coastal Trail are less than grippy when frosty.
    Wow, that is an epically miserable weekend. I'm glad you wrecked and got back up with spirit in tact, despite the apparent ego blow.

I'd rather be on my bike

I still have not dialed in my tire pressure on my Minnesota. I had it at about 11 or so for the road with Vee Missions on there and it was bobbing like a Wal-Mart "full suspension" bike thingy that they sell. Will have to mess around with it more and see what I can come up with. Any suggestions? I am about 210 lbs or so.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

I'd rather be on my bike
    Today was the closest I have come to being hit by a vehicle. Not once, but twice.

Incident 1 - riding as far to the right as possible in the right lane on a three lane road that is 25 mph. Got buzzed by a black Chevy Suburban. When I say buzzed, I mean I think his mirror touched the hair on my arm as he went by. That scared the hell out of me. Kept going though after throwing my hands up in the air at him.

Incident 2 - riding in the bike lane with 2 lanes of traffic headed west, 2 lanes heading east, divided by a big median. A van cab was waiting to cross the west bound lanes to enter a parking lot. This is a 35 mph zone and a car was ahead of me in the left lane. The car passed the cab. I saw the cab. I thought there is no way he is going because he sees me wearing this bright red shirt. I am watching as I enter the intersection. He goes. UNREAL!!! In the back of my mind I guess I knew he was gonna go because I found myself ready on the brake just in case. I needed it. The passenger side window was down and he had a passenger so I screamed "HEADS UP" and I scared the hell out of the two of them because I was right there, all up on the side of that van. The sad thing is that I don't think he even looked as he crossed. That was on the way to work.

The way home was interesting. Since I leave work when most people are falling asleep watching David Letterman, I often will take the main road home most of the way as it is baby butt smooth and there is little to no traffic. Same road that I got buzzed on but further east I had a guy go flying by me as I signaled to move from the right lane to the left lane, and then into the turn lane after the small median. Well I guess that he didn't want to be behind me because he flew by me and pretty much cut me off getting into the left turn lane and getting to the red light 6 seconds faster than me. I politely pulled up behind him, positioning myself in his rear view mirror, and went ahead and kicked my Niterider Lumina 700 up to the brightest setting. I am a dick.

Gotta remember that I am invisible to drivers and that no one knows how to drive when there is a bike on the road.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Having a fall heat wave of 30 degree Celsius, and bus drivers are on strike so there is pedestrians and new commuters everywhere! Cant wait for the freezing temps so im all by my self again.
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member
    Yikes, TenSpeed! Those moments where you almost get hit leave me all ramped up for a while. I hate it.

Rode to work with a big tub of hummus and pita chips in my backpack today for a work potluck. Otherwise my ride in was uneventful. It's one of those mornings where I can't get warm after my ride. I must have under dressed because it wasn't that cold out there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ those days where you cannot warm up after a ride, those are some of the worst. Just that chilled feeling all day, where you wish you had a hot shower, a heated blanket, and a comfy sweatshirt.....oh I hate those days. Because most of the time, you have none of that, and are just cold all day. The cold that feels like it is taking your soul hostage and won't let go. I would rather be hot all day than cold that is for sure!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is it national scare a cyclist day or something? I had two vehicles try to turn into me today, less than a mile apart. Both were turning left. The first time it happened, a truck was making a left turn and immediately turning right (maybe). I was in the bike lane, and all of the sudden he comes lumbering my way and hits the brakes a couple feet away. He kind of gave me a dirty look, but I just kept going. I assume he turned right because he never passed me.

The second guy was an SUV turning out of a Subway parking lot. He was just sitting there waiting. Then just as I passed in front of him, he pulled out and clumsily forced his way into my lane. I yelled at that guy. The other situation was just awkward, the second guy didn't seem to have any regard for my safety.

mtbr member
    I still have not dialed in my tire pressure on my Minnesota. I had it at about 11 or so for the road with Vee Missions on there and it was bobbing like a Wal-Mart "full suspension" bike thingy that they sell. Will have to mess around with it more and see what I can come up with. Any suggestions? I am about 210 lbs or so.
    I was riding yesterday around 16 psi - pumped the tires WAY up to try to minimize the nate's contact patch. Seemed to work well enough - a little bit of bobbing when I stood to climb but not too bad. Still felt better over the roots and stuff I rode than my 29er at 20-22. I may experiment further over the next few weeks - thinking I may need to build up my legs a bit before going on my longer weekend rides with it, but will probably just dive in this weekend

mtbr member
    I would start out by taking them up to about 20 and then working down until you hit the sweet spot. WIth Surly tires there is a small window between bouncing like a basketball and bouncing like a low rider. I assume the same with the Vee tires. At 210, I would think that the 15 to 16 range will be close to where you want to be. Of course, in the fat tires there are gradations at each pressure that you don't get in a smaller tire - an extra two or three pumps of the pump will still keep you at the same PSI, but can change the feel quite a bit.

Glad to read your close calls were nothing more than that - It's insane how drivers, particularly professional drivers, don't see bikes.

A decent ride in this AM. Chilly, though. 29F at my house. I need to figure out my footwear again. I don't want to take the clipless off yet, but by the time I got to work my feet were a bit chilled. Wore the neoprene socks today. I think I need to get a thin pair of wool socks for under them and see how that works. The plan is to ride clipless until it gets into the low teens (sub-15) if possible or, if I can talk the wife into it - doubtful after just buying a new frame - getting some winter cycling boots such as Lake or 45North. I'd prefer to not bother with switching pedals this winter if I can help it.

No one calls me Maurice.
    TS, I'm lucky there as I have a shower available at work. It was a real fog-fest this morning and I almost got taken out by a herd of rabbits (more than 10, never seen that before). Otherwise I'm slowly getting used to riding in the dark.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    So I have to park outside now, and with the first real rain of the season approaching, I'm wondering if anyone has any strategies for pampering their indoor bike when it has to sit outside. I was thinking about getting one of those motorcycle covers for it...something I could stash here at work that would at least keep it out of the elements? Stupid?
    Is a grill cover smaller than a motorcycle cover? Maybe just a folded rectangle of 5 ml plastic sheet with the edges bound with small wire ties? A Shower Hair Cover would do to keep the seat dry. This is more important if it is leather though a dry saddle when it is time to leave is nice leather or not. Rain could actually was off some road grime. Stainless steel cables make for less of an issue than the old cables had with sitting out in the rain. The ice issue is cleverly solved if you can sneak it indoors at the end of the day to thaw as Mtbxplorer does at times.

Today was the closest I have come to being hit by a vehicle. Not once, but twice. ... Gotta remember that I am invisible to drivers and that no one knows how to drive when there is a bike on the road.
    Those bring up frightening memories and a high heart rate! I guess misery loves company. It is nice to know it isn't just me.

Had a dolt almost pull out of a T intersection which he was trying to roll, but he decided the idea of me embedded in his driver's door was not at all desirable, so he stopped with the right corner out past the curb (so he failed to stop at the stop line, crosswalk, or before entering the cross road). I was signaling a left in a 100 feet and looked back and he was turning wide behind me, so I took the center of the road. An oncoming driver slowed and waved me left, as the guy behind was still threatening to pass me in the oncoming lane. He could have passed all safe and legal on my right. So thanks to a nice driver, I got away from a complete moron.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Is it national scare a cyclist day or something? I had two vehicles try to turn into me today, less than a mile apart. ... The other situation was just awkward, the second guy didn't seem to have any regard for my safety.
    I love the pull out while looking into your lap (text message?). Just how the H are they supposed to see me if they are driving blind? Morons! Then there is the left turn with a phone held against the ear where they use all of my lane (oncoming) and the other as they cut the corner because they can't steer worth a crap one-handed. I can put a dually pickup squarely in the proper lane on that corner with one hand on the wheel. The real pisser is they did not even see me after they almost hit me to scare themselves silly!

It's a New Moon, not a full moon, so I don't get the spate of incidents either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Had a Cat 6 1 km sprint race today on the way in....I got him...he was on a single speed.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That's a bold attack on a SS.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ everyone should brush up on the scoring rules: It?s Not A Race » FCN Calculator

Your position in the grand scheme of Silly Commuter Racing is determined by your Food Chain Number (FCN). If you drop/pass anyone who looks faster than you (i.e. has a lower FCN) +1 point. If you get dropped by anyone that looks slower than you (i.e. has a higher FCN) -1 point.

FCN Starting Points
    1. Scooters
    2. Roadies with shaved legs – like girls
    3. Proper rapid Single speed (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies)
    4. Roadies with hairy legs – like men
    5. Faux Single Speeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly egg beater gear)
    6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
    7. “Fast Hybrids”
    8. MTBs on Skinnies
    9. MTBs on Nobbies
    10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
    12. Shoppers
    13. Shoppers with wicker baskets
    14. Electric bikes

Clothing
    None: +3
    Non-Cycling: +2
    Baggies: +1
    Lycra: 0
    Team Kit: -1
    TDF Jersey: -2

Baggage
    Panniers: +1
    Back Pack/Courier: 0
    Nothing: -1

Head Gear
    Face-Mask: +1
    Helmets/Nothing/Sunglasses: 0
    Bike Caps /Wrap arounds: -1

Accessories
    Herman’s Safety Wing (orange plastic lolly-pop): +2
    Trailer: +2
    Child Seat: +1 each
    Beard: +1
    Power meter: -1
    Aerobars: -1

Pedals
    Flats: +1/+2
    Toe Clips: 0/+1
    Evidently Clipless/spds (cycling shoes): -1/0
    Not sure why Electric bikes are at one end of the FCN and scooters are at the other? Must be an old list?

Moderator Moderator
    Not impressed by the drivers here today, either. This morning, a big blue pickup with handicap plates tried to impress me with a blaring horn and record flight time for "the bird" as he passed, even though he had the entire lane open.

This evening I had shifted from the shoulder, across the empty RT lane, and into the edge of the straightaway lane, only to have a car pass me in the right turn only lane and then cut in front of me from the right to go straight as well. Umm, you pass on the left, not the right, and you use the RTO lane if you are turning right, not going straight.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No complaints here today. Simply another beautiful day to ride to work, ruined by 8 hours of work, followed up by a wonderful commute home. Did a few extra miles since it was so nice out. Clothing choices this week have been spot on. With a day off tomorrow that is forecasted for a high of 78F at the end of September there are 0 complaints. Some friends are joining me for an early evening/late night ride around town. Skipping the normal group as they will be doing something bike related but not riding. There will be camaraderie, pizza, fixed gear bikes, parking ramp races, and bombing the main road down through the campus. Oh, and the nice weather.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good ride in. Not looking forward to the next 10.5 hours, but that's OK. I'm going out for Mexican food after work. I suppose those meals are justified when you bike to commute.

weirdo
    So I have to park outside now, and with the first real rain of the season approaching, I'm wondering if anyone has any strategies for pampering their indoor bike when it has to sit outside. I was thinking about getting one of those motorcycle covers for it...something I could stash here at work that would at least keep it out of the elements?
    You aren`t saying that Herr Ogre is a pansy, are you? I mean, nothing WRONG with a bike like that, but if that`s the case, you might want to shop around for some nice pastels to cover up the Chuck Norris paint job. Just so as to not give the wrong impression, ya know.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A nice ride in this AM. 28F in the valley and 32 in town. My broken front der is starting to bug me. The replacement is supposed to be here on Monday. Good stuff.

Funny story about trying to find a der in town: It's an old style e-type der and I called all over town to try to find one. Most shops said nope, but we can order it. One shop said yeah, we've got one. 30 bucks. I didn't specify that it was the old style. So I rush over there and find out, no, it won't work. But they have another one that they said will work after looking at the bike. 45 bucks. Buy it, head back to the office, and search the model number to get the install instructions as I didn't take the box or pamphlet that came with it. The one they sold me is for a double, not triple front. Argh. Call em, yep, we've got the triple version. Go make the exchange. Get home, install it and it won't clear the big ring. I adjust as much as I can and no love. Take a look at the model, search it real quick and the largest large ring it'll work with is 42 teeth. I run a 44. Call the shop. Nope, they don't have anything. They'd be happy to sell me a new 42 tooth ring, though. Returned it yesterday and ended up finding the exact replacement from Jenson for 19.99 plus shipping. No, clearly it's not the best der, but for under 30 shipped? Yeah, I'll take it.

I am getting rather good at kicking the chain from the big to middle ring with my heel, though. I still have to unclip to get to the small and the der that remains is just a touch out of adjustment so every once in a while while shifting onto the big ring the chain falls off. Oh well, such are the travails of the bike commuter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So I am a 7 and he was an 8....I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ everyone should brush up on the scoring rules: It?s Not A Race » FCN Calculator

Not sure why Electric bikes are at one end of the FCN and scooters are at the other? Must be an old list?

mtbr member
    I kick mine in the bottom bracket from time to time and yell "Man Up!" That seems to do the trick.

In all honesty, I'm firmly of the mindset of "ride it till you kill it" - obvious, right? The only thing special I do for mine when it is wet and cold is to lube the chain before parking it for the night. A day's worth of rain isn't going to rust the frame through. Heck, a year's worth of rain won't as long as it's getting used. I say let it be. Maybe cover your seat, but... if it's wet out anyway, your arse'll still get wet, so unless it's a leather saddle what's the point?

Someone in some movie once said that "Broken bones heal and chicks dig scars." I think that applies to bikes as well.

No one calls me Maurice.
    I kick mine in the bottom bracket from time to time and yell "Man Up!" That seems to do the trick.

In all honesty, I'm firmly of the mindset of "ride it till you kill it" - obvious, right? The only thing special I do for mine when it is wet and cold is to lube the chain before parking it for the night. A day's worth of rain isn't going to rust the frame through. Heck, a year's worth of rain won't as long as it's getting used. I say let it be. Maybe cover your seat, but... if it's wet out anyway, your arse'll still get wet, so unless it's a leather saddle what's the point?

Someone in some movie once said that "Broken bones heal and chicks dig scars." I think that applies to bikes as well.
    I take the middle ground here. I relentlessly beat my bikes when I ride but I like them inside the rest of the time. I'm not doing all that maintenance so they can waste away when I'm not on top.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I take the middle ground here. I relentlessly beat my bikes when I ride but I like them inside the rest of the time. I'm not doing all that maintenance so they can waste away when I'm not on top.
    I do keep mine inside at night in a heated garage, but during the work day? I let it sit outside if that's the only option - as it is now. I obviously prefer to keep it inside - more from a security perspective, but don't worry about the elements damaging it during the day.

mtbr member
    Not with my 'chick'. She has not much liked the feat driving to the hospital with no info as to whether it is life threatening. Scars loose their macho in light of those memories.

QUOTE=blockphi;11477388] I am getting rather good at kicking the chain from the big to middle ring with my heel, though. I still have to unclip to get to the small and the der that remains is just a touch out of adjustment so every once in a while while shifting onto the big ring the chain falls off. Oh well, such are the travails of the bike commuter.[/QUOTE]

Three, maybe four years ago a builder at the NA bike builders show, had a wire guide FD that lifted the chain and scooted it to one side or the other. I suppose a coat hanger could do the job. Maybe with a little roller for the chain to run on or a short piece of PVC with a slot on the top that the chain slips through then runs against and a way to clamp it to the seat post when not shifting. No trimming to avoid FD clatter at one end or the other of the cassette! Though you'd have to plan your shifts like in the old 2 x 5 10-speed days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yesterday's commute was going so great at first. I'm cruising along, hit heavy traffic caused by construction. No big deal, no spot for me to slide along side, but its only like a block of congestion, so I'll just walk it on the sidewalk and be on my way. Meet another biker with the same idea, so we make small talk while bypassing the block long line of cars. I think to myself, wow that's great. If I had been driving I'd be late and hating everyone. Now I'm on time and had a nice little talk with another biker. All was well in the world, until I was a block from work and a transit bus buzzed me, not more than 6 inches from my handlebars.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Took the river trail home. Some nice person whipper snipped it, it was getting so over grown. Beautiful fall colours but slippery root hiding leafs everywhere.

Also destroyed the hills I usually have a bit of trouble on. Do squats..... 3rd week doing them, first week I could barely walk for 2 days even with light weight. Piling on the weight to the bar now, really improved my peddling fatigue.
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Learned a new insult today when passing cars on the right on a very wide road. I do my best to obey traffic laws but draw the line at waiting in line on an uphill if I see a safe way around it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute, but it was one hell of a ride. Met a friend and we set out to explore. Had an absolute amazing ride with him on a really nice night. We found new places to ride and explored old places. Got a slice of pizza, did some people watching, and best of all, we rode the hell out of our bikes. 55 miles clocked tonight which puts me over 2000 so far for the year, and 220 miles since last Friday.

I think that I will take the day off tomorrow and get behind the wheel to get to work. My legs need it more than anything. Aside from that, no other part of my body hurts.

I'd rather be on my bike
    78F and sunny in Michigan at the end of September. I will rest my legs when I am dead. Excellent ride into work for 8 hours and then back home. Tomorrow doesn't look good for the legs either because the weather is forecasted for the exact same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Another "group project" meant another day in the political science department's library. A fine excuse for a commute. As ten speed mentioned, the weather here was phenomenal.

No issues with taking lanes in the city, only buzzed once in my neighborhood. My Brooks saddle must be broke in, because I didn't think about it until just now.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Another "group project" meant another day in the political science department's library. A fine excuse for a commute. As ten speed mentioned, the weather here was phenomenal.

No issues with taking lanes in the city, only buzzed once in my neighborhood. My Brooks saddle must be broke in, because I didn't think about it until just now.
    This is one hell of a last hurrah of summer isn't it? We had that little cool spell but are back on track for some of the nicest weather I can remember this time of year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My wife was mowing hay today. She plans to mow again on Tuesday. Thank god for grad school or I'd be bucking bales all week. As it stands, I have an excuse to ride to campus instead.

I'm taking advantage of this weather, a little annoyed when someone tells me I should be in class or at work. For the first time in my life, I look forward to group work as an excuse to pedal on down to campus.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Couldn't let the weekend go by without a couple of rides on the Fargo. 40.5 yesterday and 54.5 today. Perfect weather and great company without the bother of work between commute halves. Time to get everything ready for winter.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Went over to North Central Washington for a late fall ride over Angels Staircase. 26 miles and 6250 ascent. A fair amount of bike pushing. But it was worth it because of this:

Back to my boring commute tomorrow.
    Last edited by woodway; 09-29-2014 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Very nice pics

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another beautiful day to commute to work. Legs are spent and I am taking tomorrow off, this time for sure. Ride in was amazing and the ride home was pretty good too. Came face to face with the biker that most people hate. Dark clothes, no lights at night, no helmet and wearing massive headphones....heading right for me......traveling the wrong way in the bike lane. I cannot believe how clueless some people are. I shook my head as I passed but I am sure that he could not see anything but that 700 lumen light shining right in his face.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Went over the North Central Washington for a late fall ride over Angels Staircase. 26 miles and 6250 ascent. A fair amount of bike pushing.
    Wow, that is quite a ride, and the photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    ^ +1 Nice change of color, too. Trees just nicely started here. We are topographically deficient and there is a scarcity of vistas when you can see the curve of the earth on the horizon if trees don't get in the way. Thanks for sharing with the flatlanders.

mtbr member
    Had to drive in this morning. I saw this high school age kid riding a low-end Specialized mountain bike on the sidewalk. Looked like he got one way too small for him thinking it would be like a DJ or something, but it just looked silly. He hucked off a 4' cement wall, then proceeds to ride into the middle of a very very busy main road and swerve back and forth between the two lanes going in the wrong direction. Several cars had to stop because he was in the middle of the road...again...going the wrong way. Then I'm waiting at a light and he crosses the road without looking, 4 lanes of traffic and goes right down another main street doing the same thing. Wow, just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Went over the North Central Washington for a late fall ride over Angels Staircase. 26 miles and 6250 ascent. A fair amount of bike pushing. But it was worth it because of this:

Back to my boring commute tomorrow.
    See, that's what I SHOULD have done while I was in Washington last month.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    See, that's what I SHOULD have done while I was in Washington last month.
    PM me when you come back Straz and I'll see if I can hook you up.

Commute was fine this morning except my legs are still a little cooked from the Angels Staircase ride. Still basking in the glory of the high country though.

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM. 28F in the valley when I left. Felt a bit slow as I threw the Nate's on this weekend for some trail riding yesterday and was too lazy to switch back over.

So I swapped to the Nate's on Saturday night and pumped them up to 30 PSI to help the beads seat as I need some new rim strips - come out early Sunday morning to take the dog out and notice that the rear tire is flat. No biggie, I think. The tube was patched, so figured the patch just gave out being pumped a bit high. Come out later in the morning to swap the tube and get ready to go riding and saw this:
    How was your commute today?-15206109290_2b1f35b89e_z.jpg

I guess that was the loud bang my wife heard about 4 in the morning.

WTF Surly?

I guess it might be time for a new tire. Though I think I might have the wife sold on letting me get a new Kona Wo and gifting the Pugs to my kids. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A decent ride in this AM. 28F in the valley when I left. Felt a bit slow as I threw the Nate's on this weekend for some trail riding yesterday and was too lazy to switch back over.

So I swapped to the Nate's on Saturday night and pumped them up to 30 PSI to help the beads seat as I need some new rim strips - come out early Sunday morning to take the dog out and notice that the rear tire is flat. No biggie, I think. The tube was patched, so figured the patch just gave out being pumped a bit high. Come out later in the morning to swap the tube and get ready to go riding and saw this:

I guess that was the loud bang my wife heard about 4 in the morning.

WTF Surly?

I guess it might be time for a new tire. Though I think I might have the wife sold on letting me get a new Kona Wo and gifting the Pugs to my kids. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    You are just to hard on parts!!!