Page 294 of 610 FirstFirst ... 194 244 284 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 304 344 394 ... LastLast
Results 7,326 to 7,350 of 15244
    Bicycle Radical
    My commute was mellow and mostly pleasant. I got honked at by a driver not far from my office however the rest of it was OK. A stop at the bike shop for a brake adjustment was a little break in the commute and I learned a little tip from the bike shop mechanic for some maintenance.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ....snip.... Last year there were a lot of people complaining about stud loss from the schwalbes....snip....
    I only lost studs in the Schwalbe Winter Marathons on warmer days, above freezing actually. I run the Nokain A10 early and late season and switch to the Schwalbe tires around 1DEC.

My Nokian 294s (mounted on my Nickel) have never lost a stud, even with trail riding and commuting on snow days.

I don't want to talk about this, the studs will be mounted soon enough.

So, I rode my Nickel today with some street tires. I got caught in the rain on my Roubaix yesterday, the braking feeling was TERRIBLE compared to discs, zero confidence. It sounded like I was doing damage to the rims with all the filth. Must continue shopping for a CX Disc bike.

weirdo
    Unusual sight driving home from my mom and dad`s place this evening. A salmon rider after dark...
    ...with a headlight. A very bright headlight. Aimed too high. I hope the sherrif has a word with the dumbass before he runs somebody off the road.

Bad ride AND a smiley face from B Mc- Not sure what to make of that

Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Your seatpost looks a lot taller than Prerunner`s! Room enough there for a military dufflebag if you want
    I really like that bag though- I wouldn`t mind it at all on my front platform.

Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    A stop at the bike shop for a brake adjustment was a little break in the commute and I learned a little tip from the bike shop mechanic for some maintenance.
    Cool! A hot tip from the wrench more than compensates for the honking, IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    I only lost studs in the Schwalbe Winter Marathons on warmer days, above freezing actually. I run the Nokain A10 early and late season and switch to the Schwalbe tires around 1DEC.
    Are the studs replaceable? I'll be ordering snow tires soon. The roads around here are pretty well plowed and I can work from home on days with any significant snowfall, so I just need something for ice and very shallow snow. I had decided on Schwalbe Marathon Winters. Now I'm thinking maybe I should go with Nokians instead?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Which bike are you studding? The Nokian Mount and Ground is a great 26" commuter tire and relatively cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Around here, studding only applies to horses.

I thought traffic was down a bit yesterday. I turns out there was a water main break along my route. Fortunately, it's about 100 yards beyond where I turn. The road was closed last night, but I was able to ignore the barriers and follow my normal route. If I were to have been blocked, I would have had to get creative. There's no way I'd want to be stuck in stop and go traffic on a two-lane road with no shoulder, which would be my most likely alternative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I had decided on Schwalbe Marathon Winters. Now I'm thinking maybe I should go with Nokians instead?
    Last year the problem was specifically with the brand new 29er ice spiker pro - some people were complaining about losing 30%+ studs after just a few rides. (I didn't have that problem though, possibly because I did the break-in period)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Your seatpost looks a lot taller than Prerunner`s! Room enough there for a military dufflebag if you want
    I really like that bag though- I wouldn`t mind it at all on my front platform.
    That pic is from Wiggle's website, I haven't thrown it on the bike yet. My seat post is just as high though, I just don't have the brazons so I had to get the post collar. Actual pics once I get off my lazy butt and do the install.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    Commuter bike (Ogre) Thursday rounds out the 4 bikes in 4 days adventure for me. Now I've decided that I need to run the commute home tomorrow to complete the week. Ugh. I need a 5th bike
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Which bike are you studding? The Nokian Mount and Ground is a great 26" commuter tire and relatively cheap.
    Cross Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great ride today! Weather was low/mid 80s small breeze. Tired I little different route some how I was slower and it took a mile off but I'm sticking to my old route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk expect the worse!

mtbr member
    Here's the pic's I promised of bag and rack. Also included one of the tires I'm running now both front and back. I like them and they do very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-sunp0036a.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0032.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0030.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0031.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0028.jpg  

The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Bad ride AND a smiley face from B Mc- Not sure what to make of that
    Ride was fine, ( though a bit windy outbound 10-15 mph straight ahead).

I wasn't. So the less verbose me, doesn't work, I guess.

It felt like I was in the wrong gear from the get go. I had a 'too-close' scare that kicked in the adrenalin and heart pains. I was slow. My heart rate was high. I couldn't power up the last grade well and blew through 175 HR trying. This morning (long after posting) I discovered I had not taken my heart med. Hmmm. That could do it.

Even windier today. Got arm tremors part way through. Likely a by-product of the treatment for heavy metals. Like the not wanting to ride. I am now at 16 X the dose I was in December. Still slow but no heart pain and was overtaken outbound by a cyclist returning to Columbus, IN. We had a nice chat to my turn around. He remarked that he really cooked the 25 miles from Columbus, only to discover why after lunch and the return. Twenty mph gusts cans be impressive in either direction. He said I could be seen 'for miles'. So I guess there are a lot of people not looking at the road when they drive such as the lane changer the day before.

BrianMc

warming back up a bit into the 80's so I built up a bit of a sweat on the way in. I came in late today because my house needed cleaning and I'm just no good at being productive cleaning the house after work. the best I can manage is doing the dishes.

gonna have to mow the lawn this weekend. after the foot of rain last weekend, my yard has exploded. someone needs to buy my damn house already.

the ride wasn't bad. Wind from the south, which was either a crosswind or a slight tail wind on the way in. Will be a headwind on the way home, but I have to stop at a few places on the way home so I won't be doing it all at once.

I did have a guy get uncomfortably close on my ride in. I have a downhill where I regularly hit 30-34mph, followed by train tracks where many cars slow to 10mph or slower (I like to try to jump my commuter bike on the tracks and regularly pass people here, even going uphill on my way home.

There's an intersection just on the other side of the tracks where the cross traffic has stop signs but main traffic has nothing. I was across the tracks and the guy started pulling out into traffic already. He apparently saw me because he was creeping across until I passed by, but you can't really be sure in situations like that, you know?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Here's the pic's I promised of bag and rack.
    Too wide for my front rack- would be wedged between the hooks of my bars. Damn.

The picture with that cool looking mountain in the background prompted me to check google maps fro the home location listed in your profile. Jeez, those mountains do look nice on sat imaging! Are they safe and sane enough to ride/hike in? I see a lot of roads, so I guess so. Are you at enough elevation to keep you out of the Phoenix temps?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    So the less verbose me, doesn't work, I guess.
    ^^For as many times as I`ve wished you had a few less words, its funny to find myself having prompted that response

Well, I hope it`s just a down cycle of your waxing and waning tooth detox process that has you on the outs lately. And hopefully the comment on your lights was enough to help make up for feeling crappy.

mtbr member
    Too wide for my front rack- would be wedged between the hooks of my bars. Damn.

The picture with that cool looking mountain in the background prompted me to check google maps fro the home location listed in your profile. Jeez, those mountains do look nice on sat imaging! Are they safe and sane enough to ride/hike in? I see a lot of roads, so I guess so. Are you at enough elevation to keep you out of the Phoenix temps?
    1) The bag is listed as 35cm wide, the pic shows the bag a bit squished, plus my tools in the side pockets. The straps could be changed for length so it's still possible to use it that way with almost no effort.

2) Yes they are safe within reason. There are mountain lions and javilina in there, and also the occasional drug mule. The recent news about the Border Patrol officer shot was @ 15-20 miles away. One of the most popular trails in the area is only 3.5 miles away, which is very nice for when I get the itch. Also if you remember last year the big wild fires, that was here (had to evacuate for 8 days not fun at all), about 50 homes were lost, but now it's starting to really grow back and almost all the folks who lost their homes have rebuilt.

3) The temps are very mild here, most of the time it rarely gets above 100* and hardly ever gets below 40*. Last few weeks it's been around 85* during the day and about 60-65* at night. Every couple of years it might snow an inch or so, but it doesn't stay more than a day. This area is a high valley so once you go north or south the weather gets more extreme, but right here is really rather nice (also produces some decent wine). I'll take a couple of pics of the view from the other side of my garage, that you'll definitely appreciate.

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Are the studs replaceable? I'll be ordering snow tires soon. The roads around here are pretty well plowed and I can work from home on days with any significant snowfall, so I just need something for ice and very shallow snow. I had decided on Schwalbe Marathon Winters. Now I'm thinking maybe I should go with Nokians instead?
    They are, but don't expect it to be easy.

For ice, the Marathons are a better tire than the A10.

The A10 only has studs out the outside and work great for those panic situations, the studs bring the bike back to right. But, they roll WAY better than the Marathon, which is why I use them early and late season when I just have to deal with frosting conditions. An insurance policy if you will.

The Marathons have studs near the center as well as the outside. Fpr everything but deep blizzard snow, they are the ultimate all around winter tire. Just don't expect to break any Strava records with them. Year before last, I rode on a couple lakes as a test and they were bloody amazing on the ice.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    ...Year before last, I rode on a couple lakes as a test and they were bloody amazing on the ice.
    As a test? Riding on frozen lakes is something that should be done for fun! There's nothing cooler than riding miles on a totally flat lake with the sound of the studs digging into the ice.

Bicycle Radical
    My commute home last night was fun. I hung onto the wheel of one roadie for about a kilometre and then had another tail me for a few. The MUT was pretty empty so I was flying along with my wheel sucking compadre. Near my apartment, I ran into our neighbourhood bulldog, Oscar and said hello.

It was a good training ride for the MocoEpic.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    These are from my house;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-sunp0001.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0002.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0003.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0004.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0005.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0006.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0007.jpg  

How was your commute today?-sunp0008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ^ UFO in 6th pic.

mtbr member
    That's a surveillance drone that keeps an eye on the border operating out of Fort Huachuca. It does freak out a few people when they first see it though.

junior, nice pics. I'd love to have that as the skyline behind my house.

The rack on your bike is pretty slick, too, but I am not a fan of the bag.

I Ride for Donuts
    I like the concept of that rack. I'm not a fan of racks or anything else attached to the bike though personally. That one would be on my short list if I had a spine condition or something that prevented me from wearing a backpack

Brought the shoes for the run home... but I'm still fishing for excuses.....
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)