Page 294 of 421 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394 ... LastLast
Results 14,651 to 14,700 of 21031
    NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Amazing day for a ride in. It was just beautiful. MUP was a ghost town so I had it all to myself and it was really nice. Sunny and 72F when I left for work. Slight breeze hitting me head on but it felt really good. No incidents which we all know is good. Took the major road that runs between downtown and campus. Speed limit is only 25 and it is fairly heavily enforced, so I feel comfortable on it. Easily passing other people on bikes on the sidewalks which is just nuts if you ask me.

Ride home was 65F and slightly breezy again. Took the long way home again on that major road that was pretty deserted near midnight. Computer said that I did a max of 26.2 mph which isn't too bad on a fixed gear. I have hit 31.6 before but that was on a slight downhill that is pretty fast. Passed a guy riding on the sidewalk with no lights, on a black bike, in all black clothing and a black helmet. I know that not everyone spends money like most of us do on lights and the gear, but that is just downright dangerous especially on a fairly dark road. Always want to say something but I always keep my mouth shut.
    Yeah, it's hard not to say anything sometimes. Some things are just safety issues though. Wearing black isn't the worst. The worst are cyclists that do whatever they please because they think the world lives in their head.

Edited 9/9/14 6:12 am
    Last edited by NDD; 09-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    My commute was pretty good considering I had a trail crash yesterday - did you know granite does not yield to a shin-bone and kneecap?
    Ouch! Granite does yield to Bedwards and his chisels. Next time maybe you can call him to get the obstinate part out of the way? Hope it improves throughout the week.

Good deal on not having to go in to work, Bikemaya. I think rowing would have been more appropriate than driving anyway.

Any of you folks getting snow who don`t want any, I`ll take it off your hands for you.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Ouch! Granite does yield to Bedwards and his chisels. Next time maybe you can call him to get the obstinate part out of the way? Hope it improves throughout the week.

Good deal on not having to go in to work, Bikemaya. I think rowing would have been more appropriate than driving anyway.

Any of you folks getting snow who don`t want any, I`ll take it off your hands for you.
    There is a fantastic picture circulating of a woman rowing an inflatable boat down "Delaware" street, which looked more like the 'Delaware River' at the moment. Obviously staged, but I was impressed by the cleverness of picking out "Delaware St." for the picture.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    4 inches of snow wet heavy -1C.

Pavement is still wet though...not gonna put on studs for another month at least.

mtbr member
    Rodar - you can have all of our snow this winter. All of it!!

My ride in today was pretty uneventful. I should have stopped for a few photos, because the way the sun was rising this morning had some really neat lighting that would have worked well for pictures. We're due for some rain at some point tonight and whenever there's any rain in the forecast, I inevitably get some co-worker who freaks out that I rode my bike and offers me a ride home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Rodar - you can have all of our snow this winter. All of it!!

My ride in today was pretty uneventful. I should have stopped for a few photos, because the way the sun was rising this morning had some really neat lighting that would have worked well for pictures. We're due for some rain at some point tonight and whenever there's any rain in the forecast, I inevitably get some co-worker who freaks out that I rode my bike and offers me a ride home.
    I work with the same type of person. OMG it might rain!!! What will you do? Well, I will ride my bike home.

Winter should be interesting since I picked up a fat bike. When we get the worst possible blizzard like conditions, with blowing snow and frigid temps.....that should be pretty fun with my coworkers.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

mtbr member
    I'm telecommuting today, but yesterday's commute on the SS ended up being great. I wished I didn't have to get home so soon. I did get to do an extra 6 miles, but I had tons of energy. My legs were the best they've been in a while. I felt like I could easily ridden another 10-15 miles. My average speed was the same as it is on my geared bike too. I was slightly slower on the flats but I climbed much faster because I couldn't just spin in an easy gear. Kept me honest.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I work with the same type of person. OMG it might rain!!! What will you do? Well, I will ride my bike home.
    I usually say "I'm not wicked enough to melt (ala wicked witch of the west) or sweet enough to dissolve, so I think I'll be OK"

mtbr member
    A bit damp here this AM as well, though not bad overall. I was asleep on the bus when I heard the deluge hit. By the time we'd gotten to Anchorage it was nothing more than a light sprinkle. Got to work just as it was starting to get heavy here in town. Looks like it's done for now.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to break the bond between a steel frame and an aluminium seat post that was installed with plenty of grease last December, but not serviced at all since then? I've tried PB Blaster, Deep Creep, hitting it with a hammer and using a vice grip with a large bar for leverage and no go. Haven't tried a bench vice yet - that's the next step. Any other ideas? The interwebs aren't terribly helpful. It's a nice Thompson seatpost which is why I'm not keen on just cutting the darn thing out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A bit damp here this AM as well, though not bad overall. I was asleep on the bus when I heard the deluge hit. By the time we'd gotten to Anchorage it was nothing more than a light sprinkle. Got to work just as it was starting to get heavy here in town. Looks like it's done for now.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to break the bond between a steel frame and an aluminium seat post that was installed with plenty of grease last December, but not serviced at all since then? I've tried PB Blaster, Deep Creep, hitting it with a hammer and using a vice grip with a large bar for leverage and no go. Haven't tried a bench vice yet - that's the next step. Any other ideas? The interwebs aren't terribly helpful. It's a nice Thompson seatpost which is why I'm not keen on just cutting the darn thing out.
    I had my thompson stuck in my alu frame two years ago.....didn't wash the bike enough and a got a salt build up down near the very bottom of the seat post...

I tried lots of stuff...what fially got it was a kettle steaming near the seat post where the bottom of the seat post was, and a bag of ice around the seat post near the connection point...

I left the steam and ice on til a bag full of ice melted...

Then I got a BFH and wanged the tip of the seat hard as I could given all the difficulties of holding everything.....it moved about a 1/16 of an inch....

Then it was a whole body work out with the hammer and twisting for about an hour....but I got it out...

PS use CLR as much as possible cause it is probably aqueous based siezing.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Try filling ST with Coke? ;p

mtbr member
    You know, I've heard people say Coke might work. At this point I think I may just try it. I also found some info on building an electrolytic cleaner - that might be the ticket as, if it is really corroded, it is an electrolytic corrosion. Besides, playing with electricity and water is always a good idea...

mtbr member
    Here I was thinking that only "bad" bike owners got stuck seatposts. I had no idea it could happen in such a short time, and with plenty of grease.

(I realize your bike sees some extreme conditions, but my steel 29er winterbike does too, and I'd thought I was safe)

since 4/10/2009

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Here I was thinking that only "bad" bike owners got stuck seatposts. I had no idea it could happen in such a short time, and with plenty of grease.

(I realize your bike sees some extreme conditions, but my steel 29er winterbike does too, and I'd thought I was safe)
    If you have the right conditions, galvanic corrosion can happen quite fast. Salt, dissimilar metals, and any tiny spot unprotected by grease and there you have it.

mtbr member
    This means I'll have to stop silently judging people at the co-op.

mtbr member
    This means I'll have to stop silently judging people at the co-op.
    Where's the fun in that? I think that many would say I am a bad bike owner...the only things I really maintain are the things that keep it running - chain, rings, cassettes, brakes. Not sure when the last time I actually washed the bike was. Too long, though. Slugs leave a nice stain if you leave their dead bodies on there long enough.

With the salt and water around here throughout the spring and that I don't run fenders, I can't say that I am that surprised that it happened. I just feel silly that I didn't even think to take the post out and regrease it at least once a month. Live and learn, I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Had my first true rain ride home yesterday. Raining from start to finish. Only about 4.5 miles though. Wife kept calling asking if I wanted her to pick me up. Not too hard of a rain. Asked my wife if she thought I was a little wuss or something. Thought I couldn't handle a peddle in a drizzle. I enjoyed it. It was fun. Today's commute hot and muggy.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Was looking forward to a commute home tonight, but during my afternoon fun trail ride, I had my front tire blow out around a turn. Good thing my brothers a good guy!

But seriously man, buzzkill. It was a better ride than most until that happened. I even successfully bunny hopped something for the first time. Oh well, just gotta patch it up and get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    During my morning commute, it was around 0545 hours and still dark.....while I am pedaling along in the bike lane and what happens????? A clueless morning walker steps into the bike lane wearing all black, probably trying to make himself look thinner, and proceeds to walk as if he does not have a care in the world. It irritated me because the sidewalk was perfectly fine, clear of trash/debris, but this person decided to walk in the bike lane, wearing black, and the streetlights were partially blocked by the trees......what is wrong with some folks?????

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another beautiful day for a commute in. Mid 70's and sunny with a light headwind. It was like the day before, only nicer. Had to pass a bus on the left on a 3 lane wide road near downtown because I didn't want to keep playing leapfrog with it the rest of the way to work. He finally caught me about 2 miles down the road. Had to pass a girl on her bike going extremely slow kind of weaving in the bike lane....and then I saw the white earbuds in. She was messing with her phone or iPod or whatever. I called out on your left, but she never heard me. She was going maybe 3-4 mph. I looked down at my computer and was hustling at 18.5 mph. Gave her room but I am sure that she probably got a little startled.

Ride home was tough. Legs are starting to hurt from all of the riding. Going to take a break tomorrow and more than likely Thursday in preparation for the ride Friday. HUGE storm working its way across the country right now, and it will be hitting us sometime tomorrow. The last time I checked the radar, it was over Iowa, and was about the size of Iowa. I could not believe it. All kinds of warnings and even a few tornado warnings with it. Yeah, good day to take the day off I think and drive to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's a new one (for me at least). A passenger in a car yelled out the window, "USE A DAMN HAND SIGNAL!" The thing is, I had signaled my turn before coming to the stop sign, but the car was second in line across from me at the intersection. It's kind of difficult to signal a turn when braking and in the act of turning, especially on an incline.

Basically, the driver of the car was planning on rolling the stop but couldn't because I was turning left in front of him. As he hit the brakes, the passenger through her hands up in the air, obviously agitated. Then she yelled at me later when they passed. The whole thing was kind of absurd.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Here's a new one (for me at least). A passenger in a car yelled out the window, "USE A DAMN HAND SIGNAL!"
    Did you ask when the last time she hand signaled was? Since, you know, the signals were invented for cars.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Did you ask when the last time she hand signaled was? Since, you know, the signals were invented for cars.
    I'm right there with you Shayne but I've become a fan of: “Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw. I usually add the following "and passersby have a hard time distinguishing you from the pig after a minute or two."
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Forget hand signals. When was the last time a car at a 4-way stop used a turn signal period.

I have seven 4-way stops on my route to work, and the laziness of drivers astounds me. It'll be -30, I'm balancing on two wheels, with my arm stuck out signalling a turn, and the moron across from me is too lazy to lift their fat paw 2 inches to indicate they're turning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I think that many would say I am a bad bike owner...the only things I really maintain are the things that keep it running - chain, rings, cassettes, brakes. Not sure when the last time I actually washed the bike was. Too long, though. Slugs leave a nice stain if you leave their dead bodies on there long enough.
    Yeah, my 29er never actually got cleaned this year either.

Out of curiosity, did you framesaver your bike? I can't find it locally, but apparently Boeshield works too, so my frames get a hit of that every second fall or so.

mtbr member
    A bit damp again this morning. Looks like it will be damp this afternoon as well. Strangeness with my GPS the last few days - takes it a really long time to acquire a signal. So much so that I reset it to factory last night (forgetting to save my odometer data for the year - argh! At last check it was at a touch over 8K - wanted to hit 10K for the year...) I hope it's just heavy cloud cover causing the issue and not that the unit is getting ready to die or something.

mtbr member
    Interesting info about rolling resistance and wide tires. See, I am doing it right! Rolling Resistance | Schwalbe North America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Forget hand signals. When was the last time a car at a 4-way stop used a turn signal period.

I have seven 4-way stops on my route to work, and the laziness of drivers astounds me. It'll be -30, I'm balancing on two wheels, with my arm stuck out signalling a turn, and the moron across from me is too lazy to lift their fat paw 2 inches to indicate they're turning.
    Come to think of it, I don't remember their turn signal being on. Maybe my mind forgot that detail, but it's quite likely they weren't signaling at all, knowing people around here.

mtbr member
    S0ckeyeus was at the intersection first. They are required to yield. If he had signaled they would have waited just the same as they did with his not signaling, so what's the legal beef? They surely see that a lot with other drivers as pointed out. The problem was they almost rolled the stop into him which would have been totally their fault. Scared them, and people do dumb things when scared. Probably talking too much to notice the signal when they approached the intersection.

I had a small town cop think I was flagging him down with a left turn signal. So much for obeying the traffic laws! Criticism if you use them, criticism if you don't.

Our first legal requirement is to maintain control of the bike: it trumps signaling a turn. Besides it is pretty obvious a bike is turning early in the cyclists progress into the intersection. But that requires they actually come to a full stop and *look*! Some people need to gripe about everything especially when they screw up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in. Muggy and hot home.

mtbr member
    Had a full sized van pass me doing about 45 in the 30 zone (I was at about 17 and accelerating the slight downhill). This was just before the crest of a hill (no clear sight distance and you can hide a semi over that crest). He was also in the center of the road at the top of that blind hill. Both are reckless driving charges. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. At the bottom of the hill that I usually hit 30 mph on, he stops (no signal) at the entrance to the Country Club. He does not take the turn but waits for a golf cart that was far away to come by him. He had lots of time to turn. I am trying to segue so that I slide by as he turns. He starts to turn then stops after rolling about 6" (not stalled) and does not proceed with no one oncoming. He'd have had my car horns at this point if I had driven up behind him with him just sitting parked in the road no signals no 4-way flashers, just brake lights. I would have to have dumped about 25 mph very quickly to stop behind him, I thought "screw this" and rolled the grass verge on the right.

Was he drunk? Maybe. Definitely unpredictable and not a safe driver. If purposeful, I figured he was trying to force me to stop or pass on the left so he could hook me. Maybe he wanted to talk. 4-way flashers would have had me stopping to see what was wrong. More likely he was just plain oblivious. In Indiana we can pass on the right when there is room, the grass verge might not qualify as 'room', though. Still, I'm required to avoid the accident. So I did. I looked back and he was slowly making the turn finally. So slowly I get the impression he raced by me so he could make this left turn. Moron.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Misty commute, not like this day in 2001 though when I arrived to work in time to watch the first tower burning.

Did manage to stay clipped in for the first 15 miles and may have made the entire run had it not been for one car who decided that the stop sign was optional.

Today was critter on the road day as I got the "Deer in the headlights" look from rabbits, raccoons, a fox, turkeys and ground squirrels but ironically, not from any Deer. Light mist and cooler/darker mornings seems to bring out the wildlife.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Ouch! Granite does yield to Bedwards and his chisels. Next time maybe you can call him to get the obstinate part out of the way?
    Good memory, I haven't split any granite in a while. They are probably better at it over in VT. They're got so much of the stuff over there they carve it into pillows...I hear.

I can't believe people are talking about snow already! Boo.

Good commutes lately. Took the MTB today.

This is from a few days ago. Honestly, the moon looked HUGE! Not like the tiny dot in the picture. How was your commute today?-20140909_062943.jpg

mtbr member
    A dry ride in today. Well, at least no water falling from the sky. A bit on the trails yet and one underpass had a good foot an a half in it, but I ain't complaining. Beautiful sunny day out there right now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So snows Monday but wet so i am okay on the slicks....Tuesday night looks like it might get cold and ice up so that night I mount the studs on a spare set of wheels...but I get bored and leave the change over of the cassette til Wensday morning...

Get up power off, so I mount up the cassette in the dark....well with a head lamp with the batteries dying.

So I miss mount the thing, throw it on the bike....half way down I notice the wheel gets stiff about every half block...oh well keep riding...

Busy all day so I jump back on and ride home...

Get home and finally take a look... the cassette nut had come off and would get stuck between the hub and the frame evey so often...

So I rubbed the nice finish off, but everything still works....

Anyway took the studs off thurday morning cause it was all drying up...

Moral of the story...should have ignored the whole thing and just kept riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    on a further note

When riding in through the park on Wendsday morning...the snow was just starting to make the tree branchs snap off...

So as I start through two big ones let go, one on each side fortunately the did not fall on the path..

So I rode out in the middle of a grassy field and watched and listened as tens of branches snapped off under the weight of a full load of green leaves and snow.

Moral....Pay attention, smarten up and becareful.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lastly sunny ride home tonight 7C 16 km/hr wind...

Maybe more rain or snow Friday....but it no longer matters.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, Jeffscott, glad you were able to get out of the way! Snow

Just windy and a little rain here, but I lucked out and did not lose power, had a tailwind home, and no close calls with branches. Probably made record time, but stopped for a 9/11 pause and picture downtown and did not glance at my watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1040678-1280x960-.jpg  

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Rain, [relatively]cold, dark. Blah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Cold and windy forgot my gloves and froze my fingers off

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Beautiful morning. 44 degrees, clear and calm. Watched the sun rise over the mountains. Supposed to be in the upper 70s for the ride home.

mtbr member
    44?? I'm not ready for that yet....

We're supposed to be able to see Northern Lights tonight, crossing my fingers it's clear....

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute today, just my normal Friday night ride. 54F and cloudy was the high today. Last Friday it was 89F and blazing hot. What a difference a week makes. Dug out the base layer and cool weather gear and I did it just right not overheating and I wasn't cold. We rode around town for a bit then east on my commute route and MUP to the local lake for a spin around that. Most of us ate dinner, and then we headed back west to take some people back to their car. Right at that point, it started lightly misting. Was still 52F so it wasn't bad and we continued on west. The further west we went the more it started misting and almost raining. We decided to call it quits before we got drenched for the second week in a row and a few of us headed back east. It is currently raining right now and we avoided being drenched and cold. The mist was enough to make it seem a lot colder as the wind and the mist were hitting us right in the face.

I don't know if anyone knows this but I am absolutely dreading winter. I honestly don't know if I will make it if we have even half the winter we had last season. Even the fat bike won't be enough for me I don't think. Fall in Michigan lasted about 36 hours and I think I slept for half of that.

mtbr member
    Friday morning was dark, cool and drizzle. It was a nice ride. Felt great on the bike. People at work asked "you rode in the rain?" Even in the rain the commute is the best part of the work day......

mtbr member
    It took a bit longer than I thought. However, the weather was beautiful. Nice, crisp fall weather. Perfect for riding. But, a harbringer of the cold to come.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Does it count as a commute if I ride to and from the bar-arcade? Pretty great. Nice cool weather, pinball and a beer and then a slow ride home at 55°F. That's a solid Saturday night commute for me! It was also nice to ride with a group since I almost always ride alone. Didn't even mind slowing down for my girlfriend (she only just over a year ago started riding with me again because I promised not to push her faster than she wanted to go).

Moderator Moderator
    Frost warning tonight...sigh!...summer is over.

mtbr member
    So tomorrow I have to go out of town. In a perfect world I'd do a quick ride downtown to the bus depot, lock up my bike, catch the 6am bus, get back 14 hours later, and ride home. But I just don't have a bike I'm willing to abandon for that long. The neighborhood isn't that bad, and the chances of something bad happening are really pretty slim, but I'm just not gonna do it. It makes me think I need a real beater bike for the two or three times a year it would be handy, but that also seems kindof dumb.

NDD
    Baby boy
    ^ That's one of the bad things about having bikes that are nice or that you can't afford to have anything happen to. It's a sense of gaining whatever made you want that bike but losing freedom in as much as you don't want anything bad to happen to that bike and by golly you won't let it.

Unless you often need a less impressive bike to park in sketchy places or that you don't mind leaving, it's really not worth having, IMO.

mtbr member
    Thinking outside the box there are folders you could fold and put in a bag or backpack to carry on.

Thinking inside the box you could put frame couplers from S & S in a steel frame and put it in a backpack for the bus:

Backpack bike case for a folding travel bicycle

Both may be a solution for parking the bike at work, too.