Page 293 of 610 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 303 343 393 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,325 of 15240
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Just think off them covered in spin drift...with a layer of ice underneath from road salt.
    So my toasty warm feet should offset the fact that it looks like I just beat down a hooker and stole her boots?

Swedetarded
    Send good vibes out for a female cyclist who went down at Hägerstenvägen and Södertaljevägen this morning.

weirdo
    GV to the Swedish cycilst.

Not much excitement tonight except a bright moon right behind me that made me keep looking over my shoulder to reasure myself it wasn`t headlights that refused to pass.

Long time, no report from Indiana.
    BrianMc, hangin in there?

mtbr member
    ^ Not much riding lately.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting

Mountain Bike Wednesday

Some days you just show up to work all covered in mud with a big smile on your face.

I left pre-dawn and took the trails in, it's amazing how the woods look different at night. I was hoping for a sunrise pic from the top of a big hill but there was no sunrise. It just got light out. Fast too, It went from nearly pitch black to pretty light in about 20 minutes. From there I took the long way to work. Maybe 12 miles of trails overall.

Good Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^ Not much riding lately.

I Ride for Donuts
    Hang in there Brian.

Road Bike Wednesday for me. Very different experience from Singlespeed Tuesday.

Edit: Fun UPS delivery yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Hope its just because you just plain don`t want to, Brian.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Some days you just show up to work all covered in mud with a big smile on your face.
    Never happen. Mud doesn`t put a smile on my face, ever. Glad you`re enjoyng it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    No excuse unless...

...well, no excuse.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Tough Mudder is not for you

No excuse unless multiple meetings on various ends of the county immediately after work and the wife's out of town so she can't pick you up and the kids have ballet soccer t-ball lessons practice

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It looked like they say Nashbar but now I realize it is really Nokian. You won't regret it.

I usually try to keep my rides to work mud free but sometimes mud happens. The smile was from the long trail ride. It's pouring right now and I couldn't take my muddy bike in so it's being washed. I was shooting for 5 bikes in 5 days but I've got a meeting off-site after work and it is supposed to rain so I might have to drive!

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Hard to spend the $$$ on the Nokians, but the more you read, the more you realize it's really a two-horse race... Nokian and Schwalbe. You get what you pay for. I'll take the ones from Finland...they get snow, right?

Can anyone advise me on the "break in" period? They say to ride 30 miles on pavement so that the "tyres" are "optomised"

mtbr member
    ^ I've got the schwalbe ice spiker pros in 29, and some nokians in 26. For both sets I did a ~30km break-in on pavement. Last year there were a lot of people complaining about stud loss from the schwalbes, but I had no problems and I'll attribute that to breaking them in.

Beyond that, I think you'll really like them. The only downside to studs is if you only have one bike - and then you're stuck running them an extra week (or month...) just in case it snows. But you've got multiple wheelsets and multiple bikes so it should be a blast.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Yup, you want the ones with the carbide studs for sure and that leaves those 2 horses. I've got a set of the mount and ground (for the commuter) and the extremes (for the mountain bike). The mount and grounds got broken in because there wasn't any snow after I mounted them. The Extremes I ended up intentionally breaking in just to be on the safe side. I haven't lost a stud in either set. With that said, as long as all the studs look fully seated I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Look at the Q&A, bottom of the page, Q5
    Studded Bicycle Tires

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^^ Hard to spend the $$$ on the Nokians, but the more you read, the more you realize it's really a two-horse race... Nokian and Schwalbe. You get what you pay for. I'll take the ones from Finland...they get snow, right?

Can anyone advise me on the "break in" period? They say to ride 30 miles on pavement so that the "tyres" are "optomised"
    The studs look like upside down mushrooms... the edge of the cap is sharp...

When you ride the edge of the cap cuts into the stud hole and firmly locks the stud in place.....it takes about 30 km for this to happen.....assumming you wiggle all the studs (have to get up on the cornering studs as well)...

You can do this on any surface....ice, snow, pavement..( ice and snow will take a bit longer than pavement)...but if you go for a ride on something rough with rocks or roots...when the tire bends over the obstacle a stud might pop out...

So basically ride flat surfaces than won't bend the tire much, and run a higher pressure so the tire does not get out of shape as much...

Don't worry the Nokians break in fine.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ That makes sense, thanks. And I'll check that site, Bedwards. Peter White is awesome. I've got some dirt road to contend with before I can get to pavement, but I can take it easy and try to avoid the rough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    The only downside to studs is if you only have one bike - and then you're stuck running them an extra week (or month...) just in case it snows. But you've got multiple wheelsets and multiple bikes so it should be a blast.
    I'm torn now on whether to just mount them up on the singlespeed and designate it as the 'winter bike', or rob the wheels off of the singlespeed for the winter and set them up as a spare set for the Ogre. Decisions, decisions...

As much as I hate fenders, lots of days when it's really icy in the morning, it's a sloppy mess on the way home...and I've only got the one set of fenders which are going on the Ogre. So I'll probably go the extra wheelset route rather than the snow bike route.

mtbr member

Got this on the mail last night, along with a Carradice Bagman 2 rack. Had originally planned on a Carradice bag as well but when the wait time went from 3 weeks to 7 weeks with no end in sight, I figured what the heck. I was more than pleasantly surprised that the Zimbale bag is very well made and was sent to me super fast even though I only paid for slow service (couldn't see paying an extra $15 to get it 2 days earlier). Also I have to admit that the 18L bag is better for me than the 23L Carradice. The only thing that kinda puts me off is the "originals" tag on the cover flap. I can live with that though, and I'm looking forward to using it. Now next week I'll order a new saddle, still debating over either Velo Orange or Gyes (nothing against Brooks, but figure I'll try a lower cost leather saddle before coughing up for the real deal).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Now next week I'll order a new saddle, still debating over either Velo Orange or Gyes (nothing against Brooks, but figure I'll try a lower cost leather saddle before coughing up for the real deal).
    I have a Brooks on my commuter but I put a Velo Orange on my mountain bike because I wanted a cheaper saddle to worry less about. I really like it and definitely recommend them. it seemed to break in faster too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    I have a Brooks on my commuter but I put a Velo Orange on my mountain bike because I wanted a cheaper saddle to worry less about. I really like it and definitely recommend them. it seemed to break in faster too.
    In my research I found that Gyes actually makes the saddles for Velo but there has been some debate about QC and weather the standards for the Velo saddles are higher than for Gyes's name brand saddles. I'm leaning towards Gyes since they have a wider selection of styles. Then again the two designs that might be best for me are also the two Velo has, hence the wavering.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    I'm torn now on whether to just mount them up on the singlespeed and designate it as the 'winter bike', or rob the wheels off of the singlespeed for the winter and set them up as a spare set for the Ogre. Decisions, decisions...
    Last nov I started to get cocky and was thinking about keeping my 29er as a SS through the winter - the snow that was already on the ground had given me zero problems, so how much worse could it get, right? Then we got a weather warning about a dump of 10cm/5" of snow, and I chickened out and threw a 1x9 setup on there. I was soooooo glad that I did - I can tear up the trails on that ss during the summer, but for the fresh snow I really needed the lower gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Last nov I started to get cocky and was thinking about keeping my 29er as a SS through the winter - the snow that was already on the ground had given me zero problems, so how much worse could it get, right? Then we got a weather warning about a dump of 10cm/5" of snow, and I chickened out and threw a 1x9 setup on there. I was soooooo glad that I did - I can tear up the trails on that ss during the summer, but for the fresh snow I really needed the lower gears.
    I kind of like SS in the snow, as long as it's only a few inches deep. Anything beyond that, and it can get interesting keeping traction. SS in the snow with slicks is not a great idea, as I found out last year.

mtbr member
    Snow? What is this evil you speak of?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I kind of like SS in the snow, as long as it's only a few inches deep. Anything beyond that, and it can get interesting keeping traction. SS in the snow with slicks is not a great idea, as I found out last year.
    This year I'll be running two studded bikes - 1x9 29er as my roll-over-anything-go-anywhere-ride-anyweather bike, and a ss 26er as my the-roads-are-pretty-clear-but-the-trails-are-unrideable bike.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A Studded Fat Bike is all I need in Anchorage!!!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Any wagers on whether this gear whore makes it through the winter with just 2 studded bikes? Adding studs to the cross check will probably start tempting me before you can say black ice.

mtbr member
    I came. I rode. I sucked.
    Nice day for it.

BrianMc.

mtbr member
    I've ridden when I've been sick before, but I guess not when I've had a chest cold, because today:

5C air
    + 2 days of constant hacking
    = my insides feeling like they were on fire while being sanded

Normally I don't cover my face with a balaclava until it's about -15C, but I sure could have used one today.