Page 293 of 421 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343393 ... LastLast
Results 14,601 to 14,650 of 21031
    mtbr member
    Came closer to getting hit by a car than I ever have yesterday, by a long shot. There's a major intersection I go through every commute. Two lanes, one straight/left the other straight/right. I was in the shoulder passing a line of cars stopped at the red light. The line starts to move, so I hit my brakes as to not get stuck next to a car that doesn't see me then turn right. This SUV is one car behind me as I'm still in the shoulder, even though he can clearly see me, he pulls up next to me and turns right while I'm going straight. I was forced to turn right. I had so little room between his huge SUV (Nissan Armada) and the high curb that I had to pull my leg and elbow in. I was 99% sure I was getting hit, he couldn't have been more than an inch or two from me. I was, in a word, terrified. By far the scariest moment I've EVER had on a bike.

This morning I was riding down a one way street, a couple hundred feet from a left turn I had to take. There's a lot of pot holes on the right so I stay towards the left side of the street to avoid them. I hear a car coming, so I sped up so she didn't get stuck behind me going <15mph. She then starts to beep at me from probably 150' back, so I said f*** it, I'm not hurrying for her. Then she gets to me about 50' before my turn and just lays on her horn at me. I slowed down and held the lane until the turn. I saw the parking lot she turned into. I rode back a couple minutes later to leave her a note explaining that I have the right to take the lane and had she not beeped, I would have let her by (true story, I would have). Unfortunately there were a few SUVs similar to what she was driving, so I wasn't sure enough which one was hers to leave a note. I got to work very frustrated and anxious.

At least the weather was perfect!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Close call!!! I will never understand how someone behind you that clearly can see you, does not understand how the whole bike on the road thing works. And you do have every right to take that lane, and you did the right thing. You are nicer than me with the note. I would have given her a quick note, no pen, no paper, one finger.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post

This morning I was riding down a one way street, a couple hundred feet from a left turn I had to take. There's a lot of pot holes on the right so I stay towards the left side of the street to avoid them. I hear a car coming, so I sped up so she didn't get stuck behind me going <15mph. She then starts to beep at me from probably 150' back, so I said f*** it, I'm not hurrying for her. Then she gets to me about 50' before my turn and just lays on her horn at me. I slowed down and held the lane until the turn. I saw the parking lot she turned into. I rode back a couple minutes later to leave her a note explaining that I have the right to take the lane and had she not beeped, I would have let her by (true story, I would have). Unfortunately there were a few SUVs similar to what she was driving, so I wasn't sure enough which one was hers to leave a note. I got to work very frustrated and anxious.

At least the weather was perfect!
    What can work is to stop your bike and get off, stand in the way and ask them what the problem is...

This can work because it takes the issue out of the driving "arena" and puts it into a personnel one on one talk.

Anytime gain is total lost, and the issue then generally diffuses to lets all just get there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We drive on the left and that's what we call the left hook happened to me twice a couple of days ago over take on the right then cut the cyclist up by turning left across their path. it can be pretty scary and unfortunately all too common Obviously where you are it's the right hook.
    I try to claim the entire left lane when coming up to an intersection if possible then move to the right of the lane to force the left turning vehicles to go past me on the left. You still get the odd wanker who will go into the right hand lane and left hook you though

weirdo
    Man, sure a lot of bike V cage incedents this week . I don`t have much traffic on my route, so rarely any problems. Next week though, there`s a special event going on right in the middle of my commute, and it`s always a circus, especially towards the end of the week. I`m not loking forward to that, but it`ll pass.

I came very close to eating dirt on my way home about an hour ago- made the turn into my driveway a little too fast and my front tire slid out from under me. Fortunately, a little acrobatics and a wild foot stomp somehow kept me upright.

Lovely fall weather has shown up early this year. It`s just a little bit chilly on my fingers in the mornings, perfect in the afternoons. The sun is another matter- now just the faintest afterglow in the west on my way in, and the sun shines straight in my eyes for much of my homebound trip.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    No commute last night as I was given the night off, since I worked the holiday. Got the Giro Republics yesterday afternoon. They look fantastic and are very light, compared to the LG X-Alp III's I had been using up to this point. They even included an extra pair of laces (white, black laces were installed on the shoes), which was a first for me for ANY shoes. If you like the old school cycling shoe look, give these a gander.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Man, sure a lot of bike V cage incedents this week .
    School started this week (at least in this part of the country). Lots more cars on the road, lots more stress from getting stuck in traffic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Had a car almost hit me yesterday. I was riding on the bike lane and a car pulled out from standstill traffic to park on the shoulder. Wasn't sure why as I saw this ahead of me then I figured out why. A second car pulls out from traffic to do the same thing. Problem is I'm 10 feet away when he does this and I had no time to stop. Went as far to the right as I could and he came a few feet from hitting me. Just put my hands up in the WTF motion and kept riding. Maybe I should look into a horn.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    School started this week (at least in this part of the country). Lots more cars on the road, lots more stress from getting stuck in traffic.
    Here too. I hate the start of school. Not just because of the drivers, but because lots of the college kids at UW-Madison don't abide by traffic laws and make the rest of us look bad too.

Glad you're okay, Straz!

NDD
    Baby boy
    That bums me out to hear about all of the close calls lately. Being so removed from most things in a car really brings out the sociopath or general mindlessness in people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    With the heat returning my commutes have been slow and steady and eventless. Just the way I like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    With the heat returning my commutes have been slow and steady and eventless. Just the way I like them.
    Amen! Slow, steady and eventless, means nothing went wrong and nobody did anything stupid. That's why I hope my commutes are boring, cause when things get exciting 95% of the time bad things are happening (5% of good things are usually happening to somebody else).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I'd rather be on my bike
    How are you guys riding slow? I get on the bike, and it starts slow, for a little bit, and the next thing I know, I am hitting my pace, and breaking a sweat, and trying to get a KOM even though I am not on or ever been on Strava.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    How are you guys riding slow?
    Simple. I just get on the bike, start slow, and stay that way.

School has been back in for almost a month here. I don`t notice any difference in the cars and trucks, but the school bus drivers are my biggest on-road foes.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    How are you guys riding slow? I get on the bike, and it starts slow, for a little bit, and the next thing I know, I am hitting my pace, and breaking a sweat, and trying to get a KOM even though I am not on or ever been on Strava.
    Easy. Don't use Strava ;-)

You just have to take a deep breath when you notice yourself start to push really hard and relax. Nothing wrong with pushing yourself though, it'll make you faster, burn more calories, get your heartrate up.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Got close to hitting a Deer inside (well inside) the city limits this morning. Apparently, the "Deer in the Headlights" is a saying well founded in fact. Beyond that, it was a critter dodge along all trail segments today.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    How are you guys riding slow?
    Since you ride a fixed gear bike your gearing determines how fast or slow you are. If it's geared to go 21mph that's what you'll do. If it's geared to go 12mph that's what you'll do.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I can ride slower. The bike will go slow. I just can't seem to ride like that.

Sent from my Moto X

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Haha, I can't.

My legs have a very narrow band of cadence where they feel good. When I'm riding my track bike it only goes fast.
    Geared bikes let me ride slow if I want to.

Resident Texican
    I got soaked this morning on my ride in. I didn't think it would start raining until later, but right at the start of my last mile or so it started pouring on me. I actually quite enjoyed it, and since I was going in early to hit the gym anyways getting soaked didn't bother me in the least. Riding back from campus to go into work, though, I'm really hoping it doesn't rain again...
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    drink heavily the night before...and keep practicing that will slow you down.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 09-05-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Jumped on the bike this morning, got down to the trail and settled into my usual cadence. Except it just felt *hard*. I kept thinking "man I'm a slug today". Finally it dawned on my that the back end felt a little squirmy so I stopped and checked my rear tire. Yup, slow leak - half empty tire. That's why things were so hard. Only took me 10 miles to figure things out. Aired up the tire and the remaining 10.5 miles to work were fine. Plan to change the tube out before I head home tonight.

NDD
    Baby boy
    I'm jealous of all who get to ride. I couldn't today or yesterday and probably can't tomorrow. Sigh. Go out and ride as slow as you want, I'll just sit here in the air conditioning and wish I was out there.

mtbr member
    A good day today. No commute as it's my normal day off. Put the new bike on the stand and trimmed the cable housings, again, and got shifting to where it needs to be. Shakedown ride felt good with shifting, new saddle positioning. Tried out the Giro Republics and they felt good too. Felt a hair small on left toe box, but I could also feel the material stretching too, so not worried about comfort. They felt great walking around the house so they should do well at work. My replacement headlight showed up in the mail, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it looked and worked. If it holds up well, I might just stick with it as opposed to buying another MagicShine. MG worked well for a couple years, but $50 vs $130, no contest.

mtbr member
    Only 89 F or 101 humidex today. Did not feel that bad actually. Hauling a watermelon in a milk crate on the porteur rack was interesting. I should have used the bungee cord cargo net to corral it better. No fast moves or I could feel the bars flex a lot as I corrected the shift of mass. Once up to speed it was easier. Low blood sugar shakes when I got home though. Treated with the sacrifice of 1/4 of the watermelon. That will teach it who's boss!

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute, just my Friday night ride. It was 88F before, sun just blazing, and probably the hottest day of the year here. Everyone was drenched at the start from riding in, but we did a quick ride and returned to pick up more people.....that is when we saw it. The dark cloud off to the west. We waited to see where it was going before we left again. Not 5 minutes later, the entire sky above us was pitch black. Saying that the skies opened up above us would be an understatement. Lightning all over the place, and a torrential downpour that was unbelievable. This storm was moving fast!!! We waited a bit, and it let up, and the sky to the west actually looked pretty good. A bunch of us headed out on our bikes to a restaurant to get some grub. Once there, it stopped raining and started drying up. That lasted for about 10 minutes, and the skies opened up again, and it just dumped on us. Lightning again all over the place, the wind picked up and even the TV's in the restaurant all lost their satellite signal. Again we waited a bit, and then 3 of us that lived to the east decided to trek out. By the time I got home, I was completely soaked. Shoes were drenched, shirt and shorts were sopping, and my socks felt like they weighed 50lbs. I used my brand new Chrome Citizen Night edition messenger bag and all my stuff stayed dry as a desert. These bags really are waterproof. I would not hesitate to get another one or recommend them to anyone. They are pricey, but they are high quality!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Similar to ten, we had a full on Sumatra squall on my commute in to work yesterday morning, lightning, gusty winds and lashing it down with rain - I think the news said something like 3 or 4" fell in an hour. Left the bike at work and got a cab back - hate putting clammy wet shoes and socks back on

mtbr member
    No commute, but the Tour of Alberta was running basically right outside my door. I know nothing about road cycling, but a bunch of this was on my commute route so I took the dog and did a rainy walk of about half the course:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="533" height="300" data="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=ced20c3920&photo_id=14985613219&hd _default=false"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=ced20c3920&photo_id=14985613219&hd _default=false" width="533" height="300"></embed></object>

They did 11 laps, so it was reasonably entertaining to watch. It is actually kindof amazing how many of them there are, how tightly they're packed, and how much wind they throw off.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Hauling a watermelon in a milk crate on the porteur rack was interesting.
    I`m damn sorry I wasn`t there to witness that event!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ Well the video was all a-kilter so I erased it. But I did post the loaded bike back at home. Must have been too much for it, as the rear tire blew with a hiss whoosh this morning and the bike was on its kickstand with no weight on the tire at all.

carrying cargo, on a normal bike.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    No commute, but the Tour of Alberta was running basically right outside my door.
    Great video. I've never witnessed a pro road race in person.

I'm moving a little slow on the commute this morning after a 56 mile ride including the top of Mt Agamenticus (which isn't really that tall) yesterdayHow was your commute today?-agamenticus.jpg.

mtbr member
    I commuted on the SS for the first time today. It was a nice ride. My upper body was exhausted because I spent a few hours splitting firewood yesterday, I also still don't have the SS quite dialed in, so my shoulders were a bit tired and I had to change hand positions a lot, but I think once I get a few more small adjustment made, it will be good.

Met two other commuters at work this morning which was nice, In the previous 3 years I've only met one, so it was surprising to see so many in one day.

I found that SUV that was obnoxiously beeping at me the other day too. Turns out I had the wrong parking lot, I saw her on the same street at the same time this morning, this time I was behind her though. Her house is across the street from where I thought she was pulling into. I was right all along, it was a black Rav4. She might get a note today.

mtbr member
    ^ I'd leave her a mysterious note, like "Don't drive like an @$$ole" so she has no idea who's pissed at her.

This morning...snow! And a high for today of maybe 40F. I was all set to break out the jacket, but at the last second I decided it was too early for that, and stuck with the shortsleeve merino tee to show nature who's boss.

I'd rather be on my bike
    bedwards1000 - I am liking that Felt.

newfangled - snow already? That is something that I really don't want to think about yet.

Temps at night have drastically dropped here since a huge cold front rolled through Friday night after that big storm. Lows in the 50's now so that means summer is just about over. Will be riding to work later, and will have to pack something a bit warmer for the ride home.

local trails rider
    Days are getting shorter - but not quite so short, yet, that I'd need to think about lights for office hours commuting.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I'd leave her a mysterious note, like "Don't drive like an @$$ole" so she has no idea who's pissed at her.

This morning...snow! And a high for today of maybe 40F. I was all set to break out the jacket, but at the last second I decided it was too early for that, and stuck with the shortsleeve merino tee to show nature who's boss.
    Big Fat Flakes on the north edge of Calgary looks like Airdie is really gonna get some...

I put on the long tights and jacket....still cold when I got in.

mtbr member

I checked my old photos, and apparently that bike was in "summer" mode by April 10 this year. And despite the weather today, there's probably another 2 months before I switch it back to winter mode. So I guess that's not too bad.

mtbr member
    Snow?! Awww, I can't even think about winter yet.

No commute for me today. I spent the majority of yesterday biking around town trying to follow and cheer on some friends who were competing in Ironman Wisconsin. They still put in a lot more bike miles than me. 112...no thanks. The weather looks good for tomorrow though.

mtbr member
    Good commute today. A bit slower than normal, which I expected after going for a 3.5 mile trail run with my 12 year old son on Saturday. I haven't really run in over 10 years. Felt pretty good doing it overall.

Took a nice ride on Thursday to celebrate my b-day. Wrote it up with photos over here.

No snow in my neck of the woods yet, but it is getting colder and the mornings are staying darker longer. I think sunrise this morning was 7:10 or so. Late enough, anyway, that my daughter could not ride to the bus stop as she doesn't have lights yet. Winter in the north is coming soon.

Yesterday engaged in a new fall tradition: The wife and kids pick lingonberries while I ride cross country and power line trails in Houston, AK. Good times.

I ride bikes
    Finally got my road bike project rideable. I still want to do a few little things, but for $110 investment I am very happy. I took to for a 17 mile hour long ride this weekend and I am going for my first group ride this evening(after I get done working my second job!UGH). I am excited to use it to commute.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    Tomorrow, I ride through this intersection:

Name:  Flooding-Trent-Fogarty.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  76.9 KB

Past this traffic pole:

Name:  Flooding-Trent-Fogarty-2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  72.6 KB

...ehhh... I think I need to drive... In fact, I may be called out since that is a picture of part of the property. I uh... actually don't even know where I am supposed to park, to be honest. I have been commuting for 2 years now, and have long since lost track of the parking schedules.

And... uhhh... looking at pictures... I think the lot I am supposed to park in is flooded too? There is one road into work, and the entire street that leads in is flooded like that.

XD

mtbr member
    Are you in the Phoenix area, Bikemaya?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Are you in the Phoenix area, Bikemaya?
    No, Coachella Valley. Southern Cali. Have the storms been hitting Phoenix after they are done with us?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I hope you get the day off, bikemaya, that does not look safe using any form of transportation.

Moderator Moderator
    My commute was pretty good considering I had a trail crash yesterday - did you know granite does not yield to a shin-bone and kneecap? Felt pretty good today until I sat too long at work, then the knee stiffened up. The way home I noticed the knee more than I did in the morning, but still better than the sedentary stiffness.

mtbr member
    No wind! A miracle here! Ride was eventless And by gearing used, fast (computer died). I did have to pass one guy on the grass verge to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    My boss called. Rain day! Actually, rain week. They closed the entire resort until the weekend, possibly longer. They evacuated everyone. The damage will be substantial, my boss is going in tomorrow to assess with the other managers... the entire property was hit. I have no clue how my workplace fared. This could be very bad...

Apparently, some major roads were washed away too. I know the ones close to me are too built up, but there is substantial amounts of debris and sand that needs to be cleared once the water goes down too.

I would say some billionaires are crying over their multi-million dollar private club houses being flooded (that is the area hit the hardest), but I know that not only were none of them crazy enough to be staying in them over summer with the extreme heat we have here, I am sure they will be cleaned up by the time season comes around and they want to use them again. So, businesses are really the ones suffering the biggest losses around here... Especially where I work, which has already been struggling to stay afloat for years due to the tanked economy. They had a similar weather related flood earlier in the year that cost them months and millions of dollars to fix. Same area flooded again, only much worse this time. Bummer...

No commute for a while... a horrible summer this has been!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    No, Coachella Valley. Southern Cali. Have the storms been hitting Phoenix after they are done with us?
    Must have! I have some friends in the area who were posting photos that looked just like that. Stay safe!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Amazing day for a ride in. It was just beautiful. MUP was a ghost town so I had it all to myself and it was really nice. Sunny and 72F when I left for work. Slight breeze hitting me head on but it felt really good. No incidents which we all know is good. Took the major road that runs between downtown and campus. Speed limit is only 25 and it is fairly heavily enforced, so I feel comfortable on it. Easily passing other people on bikes on the sidewalks which is just nuts if you ask me.

Ride home was 65F and slightly breezy again. Took the long way home again on that major road that was pretty deserted near midnight. Computer said that I did a max of 26.2 mph which isn't too bad on a fixed gear. I have hit 31.6 before but that was on a slight downhill that is pretty fast. Passed a guy riding on the sidewalk with no lights, on a black bike, in all black clothing and a black helmet. I know that not everyone spends money like most of us do on lights and the gear, but that is just downright dangerous especially on a fairly dark road. Always want to say something but I always keep my mouth shut.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Riding the MTB today and tomorrow, just because I haven't gotten to ride it enough. Tomorrow I'm giving it some trail love. I realized a few things that are probably reasons that I'm just as fast on the MTB even on pavement. I noticed everything about it is quieter than the old road bike. I really need to get the hubs and bottom bracket serviced, at least greased up or something. Also I need to get the fit dialed in just a little better. I think that'd solve that.

Either way. I realized tonight as I was leaving campus that I had forgotten my bike light. Blargh. The ride home was slow, because the mup was dark and I really have no desire to run into things when it's 9:30 at night and I'm hungry.