Page 291 of 435 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301341391 ... LastLast
Results 14,501 to 14,550 of 21739
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Decided to ride even though there was a pretty good chance of storms. Nice ride in even though the students are back and are not really paying attention. I had to do a few "Premium Rush" style moves dodging my way through some bs backed up traffic due to someone not knowing how to parallel park. Took my chances with oncoming traffic rather than passing on the right in the path of that parking thing that guy was trying to do. Stormed like crazy once I got to work, and the roads were still damp on the ride home. Not wet from the rain I don't think but wet from the 96% humidity we had. Lady in all black crossed the street in front of me not far into my ride home, nose deep in her phone. Not sure she even looked when she crossed. The only reason I saw her was because her face was partially lit up by the phone. I had my Thunderbolt set to the brightest blink that it does, and there is no way that she could not see that out of the corner of her eye. Guess I was wrong. I slowed down just enough to let her pass right in front of me, and I purposely scared the hell out of her as I passed yelling HEY really loud. She screamed. Then I yelled "pay attention when you cross the road"!!! The fog was eery as I got closer to home, getting thicker the further east into the swampy area near my apartment. I love living here because of the fog, the wildlife, and the fact that I am close to the MUP.

Bike is filthy again, and I will clean it in the morning. My normal Friday night ride will be happening, and I got a co-worker to work for me so I will be going. A lady that I work with and her husband are going to ride the first part with us. Should be interesting!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 232.7/5000

weirdo
    Plus rep for Forster`s hero!

I rode from work all the way to my mailbox just fine yesterday morning, then felt a flat rear tire when I left the mailbox and headed down the driveway. I just walked it home, took wheel, tool bag and pump into the house with me to deal with in the comfort of my kitchen. Kind of weird flat. I found nothing in the tire, but did find a pinhole in the tube quite easily by just blowing it up and listening/feeling against my cheek. I always line up the tire label with the valve stem, so I knew exactly (well, two possibilities anyway) where to double check the tire for debris, and still couldn`t find any. Put in a prepatched tube and reinstalled wheel, then went to patch the flat tube and just happened to see yet another hole (pinch) right next to the valve. Too close to the valve to patch, in fact, so it went in the trash.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have never patched a tube. Mine all go in the trash. I guess that I don't trust myself to do it correctly, and always have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that my patch job will be the reason that it flats.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I have never patched a tube. Mine all go in the trash. I guess that I don't trust myself to do it correctly, and always have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that my patch job will be the reason that it flats.
    It's surprisingly easy. I like the patches that come with sandpaper and vulcanizing glue rather than self-adhesive ones. They take longer, but I think they work better. I've got one I need to patch this weekend come to think of it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At $3.00 a tube I just buy another....but I keep the old tubes and when I get bored in the winter I patch a bunch of them up...or toss the ones with two or more patches just cause.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

I've never noticed a significant change in the frequency of flats from the ultra-guard-super-duper-iron clad - impervaguard - armadillo skin- whatever flat protected tires to the cheesy $12 Michelin Dynamics I've used. A thin piece of metal, a sharp piece of glass, a nice stout screw or a sharp broken off iron fence post will go through them all.
    Ah man. Don't tell me that. Maybe I need to find a different route.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have kept tubes that have punctured and cut them up to use for various projects on and off the bike. They are pretty handy to be honest.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_soldier101 View Post
    Ah man. Don't tell me that. Maybe I need to find a different route.
    It's the luck of the draw. I've had 4 flats in a week, all on different tires with different "guards". I've also gone nearly a year with none. I will say that Nokian Extreme studded tires have never had a flat. The composition is about that of a car tire and they're a few pounds each but tough as "nails". Maybe not nails.

Re: patches, I always use the new tube first but keep the old one in case of a second flat and then repair it at home. I have great luck with vulcanizing patches. Thin amount of glue and wait until it dries before sticking on the patch. The sticky patches are really good for a quick fix but if the tire sets out in the sun they tend to let go in my experience. Trouble is, if you use a sticky patch you can't use a good one later unless you peel all the glue off.

Commutes have been pretty uneventful. My legs are still way-sore from running down the mountain in The Great Adventure Challenge. Not being able to walk for a week was OK because my wife and I took the top male & female finisher spots. More here:
    The Candid Cyclist: Great Adventure Challenge 2014
    I did manage a few new KOMs on some new segments that popped up near my normal route. I'm a sucker for a new Strava segment.

weirdo
    Congrats on another race coup, Bedwards and RR.

I have kept tubes that have punctured and cut them up to use for various projects on and off the bike. They are pretty handy to be honest.
    +1 to that. One "fat" tube and one "skinny" tube, but more if I let myself hold on to all of `em, they seem to multiply and get out of control, so I pitch them if I already have a couple on hand for custom rubberband stock.

My method is the same as Bedwards- swap on the road and fix at home for one flat, self adhesives in the tool bag if one spare doesn`t turn out to be enough. Patch at home with the sandpaper and rubber cement kind because the SA ones don`t seem to hold more than a couple months. Unlike him though, I haven`t been able to get a bad one off to repatch later with my prefered kind. Even if they were $3 per tube (I pay $5 at the supermarket), I feel better repairing than filling up the landfill and booking passage for yet another tiny bit of cargo from China each time. That and I kind of enjoy patching . If in doubt abotu a patch, you can always install it at night and check it again in the morning. As long as it`s still holding presure after a few hours, you know that AT LEAST it won`t leave you stranded even in odd chance of a slow leak that you need to stop a few times to repump.
    Recalculating....

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    This lil Bull was walking across the street on the commute to work this morning.

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    At $3.00 a tube I just buy another....but I keep the old tubes and when I get bored in the winter I patch a bunch of them up...or toss the ones with two or more patches just cause.
    An extra patched tube makes a great "freebee" for a stranded cyclist and you'll never miss it.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Moderator Moderator

Commutes have been pretty uneventful. My legs are still way-sore from running down the mountain in The Great Adventure Challenge. Not being able to walk for a week was OK because my wife and I took the top male & female finisher spots. More here:
    The Candid Cyclist: Great Adventure Challenge 2014

Congratulations bedwards and rollingrunner, that is impressive! A entertaining read as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Speaking of tubes. . .I had a tube that I patched three times before finally giving up on it. I guess I wondered how big of a hole was too big. . .I keep my tubes aired up at the max for the tires. 65 psi. I took a goathead at this psi and realize it leaves a much larger hole than when the tire is at, say, 30 psi. I had slimmed this tube and at 20 or 30 psi the slime would fill the hole. But go above that, and leaking air like crazy. Of course all my patches were put on at almost no psi. Patches would hold at 30 psi and the patch would blow above that. Did this three times before finally conceding hole was too big to patch and ultimate defeat. Pulling the back tire three times sort of sucked.

The summer is breaking here in Vegas with much cooler mornings. Looking forward to fall. Got two super depressed kids this evening as tomorrow is first day of school. When I rub it in a little they quickly remind me that I have no summer at all.

mtbr member
    It's the luck of the draw. I've had 4 flats in a week, all on different tires with different "guards". I've also gone nearly a year with none.
    The Panaracer TG was no contest for whatever cut the circular hole in it. I got twin flats in the Soma tires with their improved fiber crossing a RR track (not pinches but punctures). Bur they reduce the carnage, I think.

My legs are still way-sore from running down the mountain in The Great Adventure Challenge.... because my wife and I took the top male & female finisher spots.
    That will do it. I did my first 25 miles in some time and was rarely out of the big ring (no wind) so I am gaining ground again. No video. Camera problems. May be terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ... I kind of enjoy patching . .
    Hey Man! Me too. Just breathe in those fumes man!

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It's surprisingly easy. I like the patches that come with sandpaper and vulcanizing glue rather than self-adhesive ones. They take longer, but I think they work better. I've got one I need to patch this weekend come to think of it.
    Yeah. You know that you have been doing pretty well flat wise when all your patch kits' glue are all dried up. So I have some of the thin self adhesive ones in place needing proper patches.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    An extra patched tube makes a great "freebee" for a stranded cyclist and you'll never miss it.
    Dumb enough to have forgotten to replace the one tube I normall carry.

mtbr member
    Back to work today after spending the last week in Seattle for my cousin's wedding. First time in Seattle for me. The wedding was a blast, they had the whole Seattle aquarium for the wedding which was awesome. Surprisingly, I wasn't overly impressed by Seattle. I expected it to be a lot cleaner and friendlier than Boston, but I found it extremely unfriendly and not all that clean. The only area I really liked all that much was 1st St (which is where my cousin lives) and Capitol Hill. I got to see a Bike Polo match on Capitol Hill which was cool. Far more cyclists riding like jerks than I expected. Probably 1/3 of the bikes I saw were riding on sidewalks with pedestrians, also a lot running red lights and not yielding to pedestrians. That was pretty disappointing. I wish we got to spend more time outside Seattle. We went to Mt Rainier which I loved. Next time I'm out there visiting my cousin I'll probably spend all but a day outside the city.

Not all was bad. The weather was incredible. Other than one day, it was around 80 and sunny. We took my son on a plane for the first time. Many people told us flying with a 3 month old was a bad idea (*cough*in-laws*cough*) but it really couldn't have gone any better. He slept 99% of the plane ride both ways and was incredible which we were there. He traveled like a champ!

My first day back at work and my 3.5 month bike to work streak came to a screeching halt due to a couple meetings. Turns out, one of the meetings is a conference call which I just found out this morning and the one I have to travel for, my Manager is also going to and I could have hitched a ride with him. I ended my streak for nothing. Bummer. Oh well, I was completely exhausted this morning anyway.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Conditions depend on what part of Seattle you were in Straz. As far as friendliness goes, it's a big city, just like Boston - there are goods and bads. You encountered typical Seattle summer weather which we enjoy from July through September.

Next time you are out, PM me and I'll see if I can take you on a great road or MTB ride. Plenty of epic rides to do around here. Just ask rodar...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    79 degrees and ~95% humidity at 5:15 am is not where it's at.

Although I did get to work about an hour before the thunderstorms started rolling through. Hopefully they'll be done before I have to head home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Had a nice tail wind almost all the way to work. Became a cross wind once I headed west. Left early too thinking I would take it easy today and still got here early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Conditions depend on what part of Seattle you were in Straz. As far as friendliness goes, it's a big city, just like Boston - there are goods and bads. You encountered typical Seattle summer weather which we enjoy from July through September.

Next time you are out, PM me and I'll see if I can take you on a great road or MTB ride. Plenty of epic rides to do around here. Just ask rodar...
    Thanks for the offer! This was a family trip, so there was no riding. That was a pretty big bummer, but next time definitely. We don't really have anything I would consider very epic in the northeast, and I've seen so many threads on mtbr that make me jealous, to say that least.

I'm not a city person in general, I tried living in Boston and it lasted about 3 months. I think ultimately I wouldn't enjoy many cities I visited. I always have really high expectations and end up disappointed. It was the same in San Francisco. Denver is the other big city I've been to out west and I enjoyed that more, probably because I spent the whole time with my cousin (same one who now lives in Seattle) who lived there at the time and knew where to bring me. I spent most of my time in Seattle with people who had never been there, so we ended up being around a lot of tourists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    79 degrees and ~95% humidity at 5:15 am is not where it's at.

Although I did get to work about an hour before the thunderstorms started rolling through. Hopefully they'll be done before I have to head home.
    You picked a hell of a day to ride. I left my house at 7:30am in the car. Just in time for some of the worst driving conditions I've ever driven in, including blizzards. You couldn't see anything the rain was so thick. Then it started to hail. Oh wait, this isn't the excuses thread... Hope you have a clear ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    You picked a hell of a day to ride. I left my house at 7:30am in the car. Just in time for some of the worst driving conditions I've ever driven in, including blizzards. You couldn't see anything the rain was so thick. Then it started to hail. Oh wait, this isn't the excuses thread... Hope you have a clear ride home!
    Come on. It's just like riding in the shower! Then you don't need to shower when you get to work/home.

mtbr member
    Nasty wet weather today for the ride in. 48F and rain in the Valley and 51F and even more rain in Anchorage. Right now it's the proverbial cats and dogs. Have a strong feeling it isn't going to clear up before the ride home, either.

I will say that my NRS Hydro-Skin 0.5 socks are a nice addition to the arsenal. They are not water-proof, but being neoprene, stay fairly warm when wet. The idea was to use them in conjunction with a wool sock in the winter. This is the second time I've worn them in the rain and while my feet do get soggy, they don't get cold the way that they do with normal socks. Nice.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Nasty wet weather today for the ride in. 48F and rain in the Valley and 51F and even more rain in Anchorage. Right now it's the proverbial cats and dogs. Have a strong feeling it isn't going to clear up before the ride home, either.

I will say that my NRS Hydro-Skin 0.5 socks are a nice addition to the arsenal. They are not water-proof, but being neoprene, stay fairly warm when wet. The idea was to use them in conjunction with a wool sock in the winter. This is the second time I've worn them in the rain and while my feet do get soggy, they don't get cold the way that they do with normal socks. Nice.
    YupYup! So, humor me, why not use a waterproof shoe/boot and/or covers and of course rain gear? Wouldn't that keep your feet dry? Only time mine get wet is when not using rain pants.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Hot and muggy. Delicious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Peddled from work to my kids' school to see how their first day went. Of course I had a big headwind trying to make me late for the dismissal bell. Got there with about five minutes and mildly winded. Good ride in and home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Hot and muggy. Only in the mid 80's but the humidity!!!! Looked like it was going to storm, but it all passed. Humidity stayed and it was 78F at 11:30PM and 82% humidity when I left work. I stayed on the main road today, bypassing the row of bars down by the campus. All of the students are back, and drunk, and walking and texting and are not paying attention. Caught several red lights unfortunately, but gave me an opportunity to attempt a track stand, or at least a super slow roll. Not that easy on a fixed gear and being clipped in. Slowly learning how to do it though.

Got home, and since I was already drenched, decided to take the fat bike out for another spin. Tire pressure is way too low which makes turning heart attack inducing. The whole thing feels like it will tip over if I turn too fast. Will bump up the psi tomorrow when I get up. Handlebar is really wide and is pretty uncomfortable so I will swap out another 25.4 bar that I had for commuting over with my sweet Thomson stem to match the seatpost. Not sure how the narrower bar will work with turning on that bike but why not give it a try?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    YupYup! So, humor me, why not use a waterproof shoe/boot and/or covers and of course rain gear? Wouldn't that keep your feet dry? Only time mine get wet is when not using rain pants.
    I use the neoprene socks as well, over a normal pair of wool socks in the winter time. I do this because I don't trust shoe covers to hold up.

Commute in today was nice, put the rock n road tires back on my cross bike over the weekend and it was good to hear them "sing" on the pavement again.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Glory ride this morning. 60 degrees, clear and the only hint of wind was at my back. Watched the sunrise turn Mt. Rainier pink. My bike was running smooth and I felt good. At times it seemed like my tires were barely touching the ground.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    49 and sunny, can't beat that, about the perfect weather!!! ;p

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We've been in the 90s with dew points in the 70s, which means it's hot and muggy. We were in a deficit for rain, but we rebounded with all the storms we've been having. Fortunately, none of these have affected my commute, although I had a couple close calls.

mtbr member
    forgot to post this picture I took this morning

Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice!

NDD
    Baby boy
    I'm considering using all of my commutes as training rides to gain speed and endurance. My endurance isn't too bad. I can ride at a good 15-17 mph all day without any pain or much fatigue. Speed, not so much. What do you guys incorporate into your commute for fun/building strength and speed?

I'm also needing to mix up my route a bit. Need to find one with more hills, but there aren't too many around here that I know of.

mtbr member
    Nice photo, Alex!

My ride in was nothing noteworthy, but I was happy to be out there. It's supposed to rain the next few days, which makes me cranky.

Not a commute photo, but I do wind up on the paved section of this trail for my commute. This was from a ride over the weekend.

How was your commute today?-10632453_674513432644791_201307270_n.jpg

mtbr member
    A soggy one this morning. 51F and raining cats and dogs at the house. Not as bad in Anchorage, though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm considering using all of my commutes as training rides to gain speed and endurance. My endurance isn't too bad. I can ride at a good 15-17 mph all day without any pain or much fatigue. Speed, not so much. What do you guys incorporate into your commute for fun/building strength and speed?

I'm also needing to mix up my route a bit. Need to find one with more hills, but there aren't too many around here that I know of.

Try riding at really high cadence a couple of times a week, maybe down a gear or two from normal....

Try working on your breathing pattern...lots of info out there, but good clean technique (belly breathing)...in pause out pause etc.

Try nose only to help establish and push your aerobic limit.

Practice aero positions whether you a going fast or not...

Work on pedalling technique...nice high knee flash...sweeping on the bottom.

I'd rather be on my bike
    My commute effin sucked last night. 80F and humid still. I was a dummy and didn't check the weather before I left. 40% chance of storms, so I risked it. Got onto the MUP, passed a couple of people, and then WHAM, something flew into my helmet. Thought it was a bee, so tried to move the helmet to let it out, and that is when I got stung. Skidded to a stop, ripped my helmet and glasses off and tried to feel for the stinger. It hurt like hell!!! So was it a bee? Hornet? Wasp? All I know is that it stung like crazy. Two people I passed rolled right by me and never said a word. Didn't ask if I was OK, nothing. They were slow rolling when I Cat 6'ed past them calling it out first though. Back on the bike, off the path into a neighborhood that I often cut through. Guy in a Malibu blasted the yield sign, nearly creaming me. Slammed into a skid stop again, aiming to go behind him to avoid him. Never even looked.

Had 5 co-workers look at my head to try to find the stinger. They came up with nothing and offered me an ice cold antibiotic bag to reduce the swelling. They told me that I had more of a cut than an average bee sting. Still was hurting like crazy. At one point on the ride, it was making me tear up. I couldn't believe how bad it stung. Maybe it was the sweat off my head getting in there that made it hurt.

Not half an hour after I get to work, the skies darken. Whew, I beat that luckily. All hell breaks loose slightly to the west of us. Severe thunderstorm warnings go up, tornado watches, cloud to ground lightning strikes, torrential downpours, wind gusts of 60+ mph!!! At one point, there was debris flying through the air which looked like a scene out of a Stormchaser TV show. Pieces of wood and tree branches 50 feet in the air just sailing along. The street behind us flooded within minutes. There was easily 6 inches of standing water after the rain stopped. The storm was clocked moving at about 45mph or so. It didn't last long, but when it hit, the end of the world was near. I watched 5 consecutive bolts of cloud to ground lighting repeatedly hit in the same spot.

Luckily that all blew over, and my ride home was left with 70F and 93% humidity. Roads were for the most part dry, and the fog was rolling in. Everything is just damp and dripping. The pain in my head finally has for the most part subsided to a dull annoyance.

Still have not decided if I will ride today or not.

guy
    Wife was on night shift yesterday so I opted to take an extended commute home since I wouldn't get to see her before she left for work anyway. Overall it was a nice ride. About 5 miles from home a cold front came through and the temp dropped from 85 to 73. Started hearing thunder and booked it the last bit home. Pulled into the garage and let the dog out to pee just in time before the sky's opened up and dumped just a ridiculous amount of water on us. Didn't last long but it was the hardest rain I've ever experienced.

Question for you guys and girls. If you get buzzed by a car with a company logo, do you call/email to complain? I had a car from a local real estate firm floor it to get around me and cut me off. Was probably within a foot from my left elbow. Haven't decided whether to call and ***** or just drop it. There's always that possibility that they weren't really all that close to me, but when I hear a car revving the engine and then it goes blasting past me trying to squeeze between you and the other lane of traffic, I get a little sensitive.

mtbr member
    This is first week of riding in on my new (to me) bike. Been having issues with clipping into the new pedals (Wellgo W-41s). Durn things always want to hang wrong side down, and I haven't gotten into the habit of automatically flipping them yet. She spins up way faster than my 29er, so my average speed has increased.

First night going to work I came upon two guys coming the other way on the MUP riding side by side. They were spaced just enough to look like car headlights, and I've seen multiple instances of a few local idiots driving on the MUP as a shortcut. I let out a loud "S***!", and dodged off the path, then got to hear a laughing, "Sorry mister". Spent the rest of the night feeling like an paranoid idiot.

Today the left sole on my Five Tens (Sam Hill 2, I love these things!) split completely across the ball of my foot and all the way into the sole bed (way past the rubber portion). I had planned to buy a pair of Giro Republic's, but I think I'll have to replace the Five Tens first. Been an interesting week.

Pic of the new ride;
    How was your commute today?-sunp0009.jpg
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    My commute effin sucked last night. 80F and humid still. I was a dummy and didn't check the weather before I left. 40% chance of storms, so I risked it. Got onto the MUP, passed a couple of people, and then WHAM, something flew into my helmet. Thought it was a bee, so tried to move the helmet to let it out, and that is when I got stung. Skidded to a stop, ripped my helmet and glasses off and tried to feel for the stinger. It hurt like hell!!! So was it a bee? Hornet? Wasp? All I know is that it stung like crazy. Two people I passed rolled right by me and never said a word. Didn't ask if I was OK, nothing. They were slow rolling when I Cat 6'ed past them calling it out first though. Back on the bike, off the path into a neighborhood that I often cut through. Guy in a Malibu blasted the yield sign, nearly creaming me. Slammed into a skid stop again, aiming to go behind him to avoid him. Never even looked.

Had 5 co-workers look at my head to try to find the stinger. They came up with nothing and offered me an ice cold antibiotic bag to reduce the swelling. They told me that I had more of a cut than an average bee sting. Still was hurting like crazy. At one point on the ride, it was making me tear up. I couldn't believe how bad it stung. Maybe it was the sweat off my head getting in there that made it hurt.

Not half an hour after I get to work, the skies darken. Whew, I beat that luckily. All hell breaks loose slightly to the west of us. Severe thunderstorm warnings go up, tornado watches, cloud to ground lightning strikes, torrential downpours, wind gusts of 60+ mph!!! At one point, there was debris flying through the air which looked like a scene out of a Stormchaser TV show. Pieces of wood and tree branches 50 feet in the air just sailing along. The street behind us flooded within minutes. There was easily 6 inches of standing water after the rain stopped. The storm was clocked moving at about 45mph or so. It didn't last long, but when it hit, the end of the world was near. I watched 5 consecutive bolts of cloud to ground lighting repeatedly hit in the same spot.

Luckily that all blew over, and my ride home was left with 70F and 93% humidity. Roads were for the most part dry, and the fog was rolling in. Everything is just damp and dripping. The pain in my head finally has for the most part subsided to a dull annoyance.

Still have not decided if I will ride today or not.
    That's one rough commute. I always think there's a bee in my helmet even when there's not, usually just sweat or something. I can't imagine what would cause a cut, maybe when the bee had his stinger in you and you pulled the helmet off you pulled him (or her?) sideways, cutting your scalp?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post

Question for you guys and girls. If you get buzzed by a car with a company logo, do you call/email to complain? I had a car from a local real estate firm floor it to get around me and cut me off. Was probably within a foot from my left elbow. Haven't decided whether to call and ***** or just drop it. There's always that possibility that they weren't really all that close to me, but when I hear a car revving the engine and then it goes blasting past me trying to squeeze between you and the other lane of traffic, I get a little sensitive.
    Sure do. I got buzzed by a school bus last year and was able to get the company and bus number. Emailed them the next day after I had chilled out and found the relevant laws regarding passing. Pretty much got a form letter response but it seemed they were a bit worried about it. If feel that if someone is going to advertise and then act like a jerk they deserve to get called out for it. It may not do any tangible good but you never know.

Been commuting by car this week as due to my massive grip I managed to tear my front derailleur cable apart inside the shifter. Funny thing is I had just ordered new cables the day before so I've been waiting for them to arrive. Freaked me out that maybe I broke the shifter but I pulled it apart that evening and discovered the busted cable. Cables showed up today but I'll wait until the weekend to fix it when I have enough time to deal with it.

Driving has it's perks, like getting home quick, but it's not my thing anymore.

mtbr member
    The World Triathlon Grand Final is in town this week, and their route overlaps a lot with my route. And that's depressing. It's not as depressing as when I used to run and fancy marathoners would actually lap me when they were training. And at least with bikes I can blame it on my 30 year old steel fixie with giant tires. But it's still depressing. And then next week there's a UCI Tour in town for more shame and awe.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Another hot and sweaty ride in, and it was only in the mid 70's. Seriously considering changing my route to avoid the campus area. Too many distractions for drivers. I watched a kid make a left turn while checking a girl out that had just crossed in front of him. He never even glanced to the right to see if there was anything coming. He never saw me as I entered the intersection. I caught him at the stop sign, and let him know my extreme displeasure with his lack of attention. He apologized and called me sir. Damn that makes me feel old. I think that I scared him because he was at the stop sign waiting, window down, and music up pretty loud and there I was right near his window, off my bike and pretty pissed off.

The rest of the ride and the ride home were uneventful. 3 days commuting this week, and I will be riding in tomorrow and then riding again with my group on Friday. The miles are starting to rack up nicely.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Another hot and sweaty ride in, and it was only in the mid 70's. Seriously considering changing my route to avoid the campus area. Too many distractions for drivers. I watched a kid make a left turn while checking a girl out that had just crossed in front of him. He never even glanced to the right to see if there was anything coming. He never saw me as I entered the intersection. I caught him at the stop sign, and let him know my extreme displeasure with his lack of attention. He apologized and called me sir. Damn that makes me feel old. I think that I scared him because he was at the stop sign waiting, window down, and music up pretty loud and there I was right near his window, off my bike and pretty pissed off.

The rest of the ride and the ride home were uneventful. 3 days commuting this week, and I will be riding in tomorrow and then riding again with my group on Friday. The miles are starting to rack up nicely.
    But how can one pay attention to the road when booty abounds? Priorities, man. Cheeseburger, booty, paying attention to anything that's not cheeseburgers or voluptuous booty. In that order.

mtbr member
    I stupidly forgot my water bottle yesterday for my commute home, it was 88 and humid. My legs haven't been cooperating this week. I think because they are incredibly tight and need a good stretching, but I haven't because I've been so busy since I got back from vacation. I finally got a good stretch in last night and will stretch another 2x today since I'm telecommuting. I'll probably take the SS out for an hour this afternoon, but that's it for today.

I ordered a few goodies for the SS on Monday and am anxious to get them. New seatpost, computer, grip tape and pedals will be here Monday and I'm not sure about the Midge bars, haven't gotten a tracking number yet. I won't be taking the SS for a commute until I have all that, it's just too uncomfortable right now to ride that long. I've found that in it's current configuration, an hour is about as long as I can ride it without being really uncomfortable.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    The World Triathlon Grand Final is in town this week, and their route overlaps a lot with my route.
    I live on an Ironman route. Besides most of them being a bunch of ass-clowns that have no respect for the road I think it's fun. There are always people to chase down. Only a handfull of triathletes are top level cyclists.

mtbr member
    But how can one pay attention to the road when booty abounds? Priorities, man. Cheeseburger, booty, paying attention to anything that's not cheeseburgers or voluptuous booty. In that order.
    Booty has been the downfall of many a man. I've seen cyclists make the same types of mistakes due to checking out the booty. Ahem...not that any of us on this fine forum would be so base or crass...

Decent rides lately. Yesterday afternoon I got a good ride in on the way home - a fast 10 miles before the bus (average 20MPH on rolling hills - with the fat bike). At one point I caught a middle school cross country team on the trail doing an out and back, so they were taking up the whole trail going both directions. I should've waited for them to finish, but had places to be, so carefully, but quickly made my way through them. There were a few close calls and my voice almost gave out on me from yelling "left" over and over. Put in another quick 7 miles when I got up to the valley and off the bus for a nice 25.5 mile day of commuting overall.

Today's commute will be a bit shorter. 8.5 miles in this morning and maybe 10 on the way to the bus, if time allows. I'll be getting picked up in the valley so that I can head off to watch my son run cross country - then will hopefully get a ride in after that.

I kinda feel like I'm banking miles in preparation for the coming winter when I'll cut my overall commuting miles to twelve a day - when it's in the teens or below with snow I tend to not tack on extra miles the way I do in the summer.

That said, I think I've gotten to the mental place I need to be in order to face winter. I say bring on the snow!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Booty has been the downfall of many a man. I've seen cyclists make the same types of mistakes due to checking out the booty. Ahem...not that any of us on this fine forum would be so base or crass...

Decent rides lately. Yesterday afternoon I got a good ride in on the way home - a fast 10 miles before the bus (average 20MPH on rolling hills - with the fat bike). At one point I caught a middle school cross country team on the trail doing an out and back, so they were taking up the whole trail going both directions. I should've waited for them to finish, but had places to be, so carefully, but quickly made my way through them. There were a few close calls and my voice almost gave out on me from yelling "left" over and over. Put in another quick 7 miles when I got up to the valley and off the bus for a nice 25.5 mile day of commuting overall.

Today's commute will be a bit shorter. 8.5 miles in this morning and maybe 10 on the way to the bus, if time allows. I'll be getting picked up in the valley so that I can head off to watch my son run cross country - then will hopefully get a ride in after that.

I kinda feel like I'm banking miles in preparation for the coming winter when I'll cut my overall commuting miles to twelve a day - when it's in the teens or below with snow I tend to not tack on extra miles the way I do in the summer.

That said, I think I've gotten to the mental place I need to be in order to face winter. I say bring on the snow!
    I am trying to get to that mental place in advance of the upcoming snow season. The fat bike will help with the snow, but the temps may do me in. Not sure my body or my mind can handle another winter like we had.

local trails rider
    Uneventful...
    I didn't touch a bike for about 5 weeks. Spraining your knee isn't exactly fun. Now I've been doing my 30 minute commutes by bike for a week. The knee feels tight for a few minutes when I get going, but then it is almost normal. Not trails riding normal yet, though.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"