Page 291 of 593 FirstFirst ... 191 241 281 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 301 341 391 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,275 of 14802
    I Ride for Donuts
    I looked at them... and the other ones they had at the same price...also Garneau, called 0-something... I compared the two and read a few reviews, and ordered them...they have some orange on the sole and are more of a neoprene booty top with a waterproof zipper. They appear to be a mountain shoe version of the same concept... Definite tread lugs, but people complained about how hard the plastic is...not grippy rubber so they are slick when wet on a hard floor. Decent reviews, and specific mentions about how easy they are to get on and off...stoked to hear the size comment, I went for the 1/2 size up too. Sounds like maybe I made a good choice..at least compared to the ones you got.... We'll see... At 89 bucks I'm not going to be too picky, but I want them to work like the 179 dollar shoe they're supposed to be...

This is big for me... I spent 35 bucks on my mtb shoes in 1998. 179 dollar shoes from 2012 had better be awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Swedetarded
    Wet roads from the 2 days of rain we have had. 10C today. I rode recovery pace today, because of a nasty training session I had over lunch yesterday. Turkish get ups, deadlifts, pull ups in several hand positions, and tricep dips......what do you know about functional training, son?

Equipment related side note.....I took the Topeak Rack and trunk bag off my Jamis Coda last week and the bike came back to life. Granted it will never be as fast as my Roubaix, but it feels like a fast bike again. Anyway......the bag itself flexes and I could really feel the load wobbling, almost made the bike scary at high speeds. Granted, I'll probably put it back on for the winter to keep the sweat off my back.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I looked at them... and the other ones they had at the same price...also Garneau, called 0-something...
    Damn, I didn't even notice those. I would have bought them instead. They look like the same shoe with a plastic tread stuck on the bottom around the molded plastic shell. I guess I'll use these as a road shoe to see how I like them while I keep my eye open for the perfect boot. I really wanted the Northwave Celsius but couldn't find them in my size at a reasonable pride.

Perfect fall commute this morning. Crisp sunny air and the leaves are about 20% turned.

mtbr member
    My new Five Tens finally came yesterday. My old Sam Hills were getting pretty beat up so I got some new ones, and this year they were $15 cheaper than last year. Been scoping out leather saddles, I didn't know there were any decent ones besides Brooks but there were a couple that got my attention.
    Last edited by junior1210; 10-04-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Trail Rider
    Tuesday evening on my ride home, I stop at a major intersection on a red. On both sides of the road, going in my direction, are two teen guys on bikes (total of 4). On the left going against traffic, both were riding on the sidewalk. On my side, going with traffic on the road. The opposing traffic gets an advance green. All four of them go. There are vehicles in the opposing left turn lane and have to wait for these guys going against the red. I stay, shaking my head.

When I get to the next light, I merge to the left turn lane on a red. The woman in the first car gets my attention and says "It's nice to see a responsible cyclist". I say "Thanks!".

That was so far the only thing anyone's said to me on a communte and made me feel really good

(btw, I did catch up to three of them and pass before stopping to make my turn.... )

weirdo
    I almost ran into the side of a pickup that backed into the street in front of me this morning, managed to swerve into the other lane. Since that street is so narrow and parked cars pretty well line both sides, I really ought to start riding up the center of the road for that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by mck.brad View Post
    When I get to the next light, I merge to the left turn lane on a red. The woman in the first car gets my attention and says "It's nice to see a responsible cyclist". I say "Thanks!".
    Wow, cool! That one sure doesn`t get heard every day

I Ride for Donuts
    Well the winter shoes were the gateway gear purchase.... Finally ordered me some Nokians last night. This could be a fun winter

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Hey CB - The "boots" are in. Without actually riding in them these are my first impressions.
    Try looking at Lake Winter riding boots, bedwards. Expensive as hell, but worth the price.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Yeah, I looked at the Lake MX302. That was my first choice. They are either $269 or not my size. They do look nice but...

These look pretty awesome too: 45NRTH

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, I looked at the Lake MX302. That was my first choice. They are either $269 or not my size. They do look nice but...

These look pretty awesome too: 45NRTH
    Got it. If you ever decide to go Lake, get a size bigger than you normally wear...they run a little small. Mine have been worth the price.

The 45mrth's look great! (spendy too...but you tend to get what you pay for)

mtbr member
    Didn't have a chance until now...from Monday's ride home.

Today's was kind of fun with a growler of O'Dell Pale in one pannier.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I'm still basking in the glory of the time change. Actual sunlight in the morning is awesome...takes the chill off. Upper 20's this morning. Crispy fall weather. I've been fighting the flu, so i blew snot rockets for 6 miles. Saw the usual dozen or so deer on the way... didn't do the iPod today, just took in the stillness. Good ride.

weirdo
    Looks like we have a new part time bike commuter at work
    Another machinist has ridden his BSO in a few times when lack of motor vehicle dictated, but today he rode just because he felt like it. Right now he`s riding home unlit in the dark, hope he makes it okay. If I had thought quicker, I would have at least passed him my spare blinky. Anyway, I was surprized to catch him oggling the Bikesdirect pics when I came in to relieve him one night last week, then yesterday he asked me about finding a replacement front trigger shifter, today he asked about options to get away from the crappy knobbies that came with his "bike" and told me just as he was leaving that he was pedalling for fun. Lets see how this pans out!

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Didn't have a chance until now...from Monday's ride home.
    That`s a sort of mysterious sign behind you, Spatialized. Tower? Climb at your own risk? Is it a fire lookout?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I looked at them... and the other ones they had at the same price...also Garneau, called 0-something...
    I ordered a pair of those too. I'll pay the $6.99 return shipping (stupid tax) for not buying the MTB specific version in the first place. I didn't even notice these before. Thanks CB!

Have a good trip MTXB - give us some smartphone updates if you're able.

Today was my first pre-dawn ride of the season and one of the best sunrises I've seen since, well, my last pre-dawn rides. It looked about 100 time better than this picture with a bright pink/orange sky behind beautiful fall foliage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-09-28-06.26.21e.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    I think I bruised a rib at Tough Mudder. Can't exhale with the kind of force I'd like... The snot rocket I launched this morning couldn't break out of my atmosphere. It wasn't pretty.

Here are the kicks bedwards... They're not going to be Lakes, but they are going to be a heck of a lot better than what I'm using in the winter now. My half-size up feels like my normal size... not a lot of extra room for sock layers, but they'll work. Definite recess for the cleat inside those monster lugs. They also came with thread-in lugs too. The piping is reflective, which is nice. Waterproof zipper on the front is beefy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Escape velocity for a snot rocket is important.

My boots shipped. I think this version pretty much solves all 4 of my gripes about the road version. I've got to return the others today.

Hey Woodway, do you read Bike Snob? He's going off on a $5600 bike that was sent to him as a demo that creaks and clicks. Funny stuff.

weirdo
    Escape velocity for a snot rocket is important.
    Breaking my personal atmosphere ranks up pretty high on the list of snot rocket requirements for me.

Nice sunrise, BTW. It didn`t look so good on the dark-ish monitor at work, but I like it fine here. Funny how much difference the monitor makes as to how pictures show up. Makes me wonder if its really worth the trouble to edit before posting. If I edit so I like what I see at the time, then people look at it over a dozen different monitors, who knows what its going to look like for "my viewing public"? It very well might look better on a lot of monitors before I mess with it than after. Ah, well... Casio done took my Fujichrome away, so I might as well not worry too much about it either way.

Ex-Clydesdale
    I think I bruised a rib at Tough Mudder. Can't exhale with the kind of force I'd like... The snot rocket I launched this morning couldn't break out of my atmosphere. It wasn't pretty.
    Had that happen on Monday with a big loogie. Hit the side of my face, but not as bad as I thought it would based on the very poor trajectory, so I was happy but confused. Well, until I got to work and took my helmet off and saw the side of my helmet. Ewwwww. Needless to say, I took the helmet into the shower that morning. Can't remember why I didn't just snot rocket it out, I think it was too far back.

Commute today was nice, I took it easy on the way in, enjoyed the dark Atlanta skyline, listened to the clacking and noises of the big trainyard I go past, just enjoyed the ride. Was only a few minutes slower than usual at 55 minutes for a 17.8mph average. Need to stop and take a picture or two next time.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Ride Everything
    Total hero dirt this morning:

Makes up for getting drenched on yesterday's ride home.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Moderator Moderator
    Have a good trip MTXB - give us some smartphone updates if you're able.
    Thanks! I'm taking off a couple hours and pedaling out about 3pm. I still have a dumbphone, though, so I won't be able to post. If you want to post a couple for me, p.m. me your cell and I'll drop you a few pics along the way.

One thing I have already learned is that you need a lot more stuff for a trip in October than August.

Quote Originally Posted by mck.brad View Post
    That's pretty awesome. I was wanting to merge into the left turn lane today (on green, using hand signals) and a big SUV that was behind me trundled by so slowly that I had to stop in my lane and wait for them to pass so I could make it into the turn lane. they gave me room, but were still passing too close to the intersection.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Thanks! I'm taking off a couple hours and pedaling out about 3pm. I still have a dumbphone, though, so I won't be able to post. If you want to post a couple for me, p.m. me your cell and I'll drop you a few pics along the way.

One thing I have already learned is that you need a lot more stuff for a trip in October than August.
    I'll just wait for your account of your adventures when you get back. And yeah, your going to need a sleeping bag that is good to freezing. Looks like if you can get through the weekend you've got some prime fall weather.

Bicycle Radical
    Hey Woodway, do you read Bike Snob? He's going off on a $5600 bike that was sent to him as a demo that creaks and clicks. Funny stuff.
    That made me howl. He's been making fun of the Budnitz for a while so they send him a test bike that is in terrible condition. How stupid could they be?
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Dropped my bike off at #1 LBS yesterday morning for a tune up and fix a broken spoke. I get to pick it up this afternoon. One more reason to have a good relationship with the bike shop is prompt service. It still feels a little weird though, they swapped from Trek to Cannondale recently and walking in to see a Scalpel with a Lefty instead sill throws me off. They also had a Long Haul Trucker on display and I was a little tempted but I still would rather have the Ogre of KM.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Dropped my bike off at #1 LBS yesterday morning for a tune up and fix a broken spoke.
    I'm going to have to do that soon. A stick or something got into my rear wheel last weekend. It cracked the index adjuster on the derailleur, bent some spokes, and broke the nipples. I don't know that my shop will be so fast with the repairs.

I didn't commute for two days this week because I took off work. I guess that's a valid excuse. It was a bit rainy this morning, but not terrible.