Page 290 of 632 FirstFirst ... 190 240 280 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 300 340 390 ... LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 15795
    Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well I crushed my fastest time ever to the office today. Old record was 57 minutes and change, new record is 55 minutes and change. I just felt really strong this morning.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Saw a deer and a half grown fawn. Stopped to take a picture but they snorted at me and bounded off into the woods. I ride a greenway to work. It's a 50 minute uphill ride in and a 40 minute downhill ride home. I can't believe more people don't do this but then again, I have to leave about 30 minutes early... I do get to work in a better mind set than I do if I drive the Minivan...

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nice job woodway! Welcome Thirsty Turtle.

MTBX, how many days, how far are you going? Is the big bike adventure shrunk down to a (long) weekend?

There was definitely frost on the ground for this morning's commute. I'm up to almost the same number of layers I use in the winter, they're just thinner.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Turtle View Post
    I do get to work in a better mind set than I do if I drive the Minivan...
    Pedalling is a cheaper way to get that mindset than a new sports car- sorta like blue-light special dope

I put on my gloves and `clava this morning for the first time since... April? The jacket stayed in my trunk bag, but if it was just a few degerees lower, I think I`d have grudgingly put it on too.

Woodway, were you extra fast for trying to outrun this week`s squeeks? Keep the grease away!

I Ride for Donuts
    Stop with the cold talk... I don't have my firewood in yet.

Arm warmers, thin shirt, and shorts for me this morning. It was 38 or 39*F... I think after the 'Arctic Enema' this weekend my body just doesn't care any more.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Arm warmers, thin shirt, and shorts for me this morning. It was 38 or 39*F... I think after the 'Arctic Enema' this weekend my body just doesn't care any more.
    Thin shirt, long sleeve wool jersey, wind breaker & Insulated tights for me this morning. It was 38 or 39*F. I don't like to be cold on a ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ What's your 'realy cold part of winter' look like bedwards? I forget where you are. I always try to push it till I can't stand it during this part of the year, because I know the low single digits are coming in Jan/Feb. My core was cold today, but you can definitely build up a bit of a tolerance.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Normal lows are 10-20F, occasional lows are 0-10F, my coldest commute was at 12 below 0F. I'm OK for a while but about halfway through the 12 miles my feet and hands turn to ice. Looking forward to those boots.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live in Charlotte, NC. I was cold this morning. I must be wuss... Need to start wearing some warmer socks...

I Ride for Donuts
    Yeah 12 miles would make a difference. My shortest route is 6, so your 'halway through' point when you're turning to ice is when I'm hitting a heated building.

I'm waiting on a sizing report on those boots, and I'm gonna jump on it if they still have my size...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    MTBX, how many days, how far are you going? Is the big bike adventure shrunk down to a (long) weekend?
    I'm calling it the car-free singletrack spree. I'm starting Fri or Sat & if things go as planned not returning until Oct 8! I'll be alternating between "touring days" on the road between trail systems and trailriding days at the trail systems. So road-trail-road-trail etc., with 2 nights camping as close as possible to each locale. The road days will be +/- 40 miles.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah 12 miles would make a difference.
    I've found the route makes a big difference too. On my old route I had 3.5 mi of nearly continuous downhill, and that was brutally cold on the face/hands/feet by the time you got to the bottom. Now my longest downhill is about 2 miles, and half of that is in the woods, so it "seemed" much warmer last winter.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ True. I can probably dress in less because I am so pathetically slow

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Woodway, were you extra fast for trying to outrun this week`s squeeks? Keep the grease away!
    No squeaks! Maybe it's because it was 42 degrees this morning, and I am still wearing shorts and the same kind of long-sleeve shirt I was wearing when it was 55 degrees in the morning. I need to ride harder to stay warm

weirdo
    I know the low single digits are coming in Jan/Feb.
    Realy? Normally, we get our coldest temps in Dec and Jan, then get the snow in Feb and Mar. But the last two years the bottom has dropped out early with an almost instant plunge in Nov followed by amazingly warm (for the season) weather after that. I think we got to zero or close both Novembers, then only occasionally dipped down into the teens when it was SUPPOSED to be cold.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I'm calling it the car-free singletrack spree. I'm starting Fri or Sat & if things go as planned not returning until Oct 8! I'll be alternating between "touring days" on the road between trail systems and trailriding days at the trail systems. So road-trail-road-trail etc., with 2 nights camping as close as possible to each locale. The road days will be +/- 40 miles.
    So, you`re going to ride to and between two or three different base camps with a few days of hitting a bunch of local trails in each area? That sounds like a brutal workout, but I bet it`ll be a ton of fun! Good luck with the weather. Ride safe and enjoy!!!

At 15 minutes for my average "bundled up" commute, I guess I can get away with a lot more misjudgement than you folks with longer runs.
    On cold weather speeds: my door-to-door times go up by roughly 20 to 25% with winter clothes and tires compared to summer. How much does it affect everyone else`s?

Bicycle Radical
    The ride home today was great. The temperature was perfect, it was sunny, and there was a light breeze. Strangely enough, the MUT wasn't as busy as I thought it would be considering the weather but it made for a pleasant, relaxing commute home.

In a park closer to my apartment, I found a gentleman walking a pair of boxers and being a fan of those dogs,I just had to say hi. Lovely pups they were.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Moderator Moderator

So, you`re going to ride to and between two or three different base camps with a few days of hitting a bunch of local trails in each area? That sounds like a brutal workout, but I bet it`ll be a ton of fun! Good luck with the weather. Ride safe and enjoy!!!
    That's the plan! But - I haven't done any long rides or hauled more than my daypack though, so it could be subject to change. VT has a ton of MTB riding areas, and sure, I could drive around to them all, but this appeals more. I plan to ride without most of the gear for the trailriding. Taking my warmer sleeping bag, for sure.

Moderator Moderator
    I had some excitement on the way home...I was trucking downhill on some doubletrack bike trail, and suddenly see a huge black horse, rider, and German shepherd coming up the hill in front of me. As we saw each other, I screeched to a sliding stop on the loose rock dust, and the horse reared up and spun away from me. Luckily the rider stayed put, the dog wasn't concerned, and everyone recovered without incident. Apologies and compliments all around, he was cutting through to a more horse-friendly trail.

mtbr member
    Was a fun commute today. I took the new to me Raleigh Mountain Tour on it's first commute!! Rides great, have a few changes to make. ON the way back home I realized I forgot my rain jacket... and it rained for the the entire route. Made a makeshift jacket from a trash bag, worked great. I actually had a great time!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    On cold weather speeds: my door-to-door times go up by roughly 20 to 25% with winter clothes and tires compared to summer. How much does it affect everyone else`s?
    Mine goes up a lot. Surprisingly (to me) a lot of it (5% increase from 80 to -10F) has to do with the air density. The colder air is literally harder to move through than warm air.

Wishing you good weather MTBX. Sounds like a fun vacation. I've seen "evidence" of horses on the trail here but have yet to encounter one.

What a difference 13 degrees makes. I bundled up the same as yesterday, walked to the garage to get my bike and went back into the house to loose a layer top and bottom. I was still hot by the time I got to work. Today was 51 and yesterday was 38.
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 09-26-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Humidity makes a huge difference here in terms of what I decide to wear. For example, Monday morning at 6am it was 52F. I wore a thin long sleeve jersey and a windbreaker vest, and ended up wishing I had put on the sleeves on the vest (they detach), . Tuesday morning at 6am it was 50F. Same thin long sleeve jersey, and this time the windbreaker with sleeves attached. I made it about 10 of the 17 miles to work before I was uncomfortably warm and took the sleeves off, probably could have taken the windbreaker off altogether. The difference? Monday morning the humidity was high, Tuesday it was a bit lower.

This morning was very nice, 58F, perfect temperature. Nice ride in, though the group of joggers on the MUT without a single light or piece of reflective material on them were annoying. That was an odd bunch though, usually others have a headlamp or blinkie or something reflective.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Ride Everything
    Damp roads, grey skies, temps in the low 50s. Largely uneventful until a squirrel decided to play 'chicken' with my front wheel. I gotta wonder if anyone was close enough to hear me yell, "Waaaaahhh! Duuuuuuude! Shiiiii!"
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Optimum temp for me is 15 to 20 C not too hot not too cold.....

By the time I am wearing two layers on the bottom and three on top...I am down easily to 75% of optimal speeds...-20C.

The combination of heavier air....stiff tires....stiff grease....clothing dragging....just slows you right down...

At -36 C I am probably down to 60% of optimal speeds.

lol@ the talk of winter commuting. daily highs are still in excess of 90F for me. I'm still dealing with excess sweat.

it has been a little breezier lately, so I get to deal with the occasional headwind. but that's the biggest indication that the seasons are changing for me.

MTB, Road, Commuting

No good

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I ordered a pair of winter riding boots. No more messing around with toe covers that slip off and piss me off. $89 bucks!
    Hey CB - The "boots" are in. Without actually riding in them these are my first impressions.
    -The size seems good. I bought a half size up and that's about how they fit, which is good because I wanted room for extra socks.
    -They are a PITA to get on. You have to open the Velcro, unzip them under the Velcro and then get your foot into an inner shoe. I'm sure I'll get use to it but it could be better.
    -The 2 bolt cleats are not below flush like most mountain biking shoes. Maybe not a big deal but it seems like the only pedal interface is the cleat? I'll have to ride with them to see how this is. You'll be clicking down the halls for sure. Not a fan.
    - My biggest gripe - The tread is a road shoe tread with NOTHING to grip in trails. No lugs. These are not boots, they are insulated road shoes and are going to suck for snowy trails. This might be the reason they go back.
    The site has an unconditional 100% guarantee so you can send them back for $6.99 shipping, any time so I'll probably try using them but my hopes aren't high.