Page 288 of 591 FirstFirst ... 188 238 278 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 298 338 388 ... LastLast
Results 7,176 to 7,200 of 14752
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    So... anybody ever encounter or worry about encountering the less friendly bits of nature, such as bears, mountain lions, etc? They're sighted around here maybe 3-4 times a year so they could definitely be passing through. Just something that occurred to me the other night on a ride home, in the dark, on a deserted trail. What the hell do I do if I come across a bear on the trail?

Does anybody actually travel with some sort of preparation (bear mace) for such a case?
    we get the odd bear and mountain lion in the city...they follow the rivers in and then follow the park system......but it is not worth carrying the bear spray...

On the other hand plenty of rides outside the city it would risky not to carry the bear spray...

We don't have a lot of human wildlife around to worry about either.

Moderator Moderator
    If you are in NY they would be black bears like we have in VT and generally not aggressive. Just don't get in between a mother & her cubs, or between a grumpy hungry bear that just woke up and it's food. Look up too, because they will leave the cubs in "babysitter trees", so if you have to detour around a bear, you don't want to take the route between bear and babysitter tree. I don't see them often, and never yet on my bike, but I have not been bothered when on foot and detoured around or proceeded after they ran off.

weirdo
    Damn, Bedwards- you win the Munch Of The Month award for that one. Glad you didn`t smack your head- heal fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    We had a windy/rainy night too, although the local wind gusts topped out at 36mph, not the 50 they were talking about. Frost advisory tonight. I took the trails this morning and brought a hand saw saw, but I did not need it, as everything that came down I was able to drag off the trail. There were these two new “leaners”, and the snomobile bridge is a little worse for the wear.
    36 is bad enough. Your carnage shots looks pretty nasty.

I`ve heard rare reports now and then of cats attacking cyclists, but don`t think heard of bears going after them, so hopefully that`seven more rare. Jordy B is probably the resident expert on that. Hmm... Are there black bears in AK, or only the big nasties?

I spaced on the time last night and had to realy hustle on my way in. Just made it by the skin of my teeth, panting like a dog and sweating hard. After work, I did a climby 26 mile RT hard and fast (by my standards) to drop off and pick up from a friend`s house in the next valley. That`s my workout for the week! I`m staying in my 24t ring until the weekend

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Are there black bears in AK? ;p I lol'd!!!

Yes, lots of black and brown bears, even polar bears in the arctic regions up north.I often see bears along the bike trails, weither it be in the city or remote. They are all around. We live in their natural environment!

weirdo
    ^^I thought maybe the grizzlies and kodiaks had eaten them all by now.

gotta watch out for armadillos where I live. though 'dillo season on the roads seems to be more focused in the springtime. I don't see quite as many the rest of the year. they have a tendency to jump right before they're hit. and they're incredibly dumb.

plenty of other wildlife, too. bears and cougars, but they're extremely rare here. a handful or fewer sightings a year. no attacks. probably because they're afraid that every redneck has a gun.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    So... anybody ever encounter or worry about encountering the less friendly bits of nature, such as bears, mountain lions, etc?
    Taken from my bike (because I did not want to stop pedaling) on a ride with my wife last summer:

The good news is that I can ride faster than my wife

Actually, this bear just ignored us, it was eating grass and stuff along the road we were riding.

When I mountain bike, I have a bear bell on my bike. I figure that early warning is better than fumbling with mace. We had a mountain biker attacked while riding a few years back because he came around a corner and surprised the bear. I've ridden several times where this guy was attacked, and it's not a place you would immediately think to worry about being attacked by a bear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Props to you guys riding in bear country. I get squiffy about random dogs!

I Ride for Donuts
    I missed a mountain lion by 10 minutes a few months ago apparently... we have too many of them around, because we have WAY too many deer... I still haven't seen one (tracks, poop, etc., but no kitty. I'm sure they've seen me). My neighbor saw one maybe 100 yards from my house crossing my dirt road about 10 minutes after I'd left for work. I immediately started carrying the camera in an accessible pocket...maybe pepper spray would be smarter?

This morning I came the closest I've ever come to getting hit by a car... sounds dramatic, but it was surprisingly slow and stupid. I was just coming into town, so first couple of residential side streets, and a car stops at one of the side streets (opposite side of the road) to pull out onto the road I was on...so this lady is turning left onto my street, and there's no other cars around. She pulls slowly out and makes her left turn, into the lane I'm "in"...I'm way over on the white line like I usually am. She obiviously didn't see me at all somehow...just made a slow lazy turn into the lane, drifting way over to the right side of the lane right at me. This is all happening at maybe 15 mph. As she accelerates, she's like 6 inches from my chainstay, still apparently oblivious to my presence. I had room to swerve to the right, but for some reason I just unclipped my left foot, placed it gently on the hood of her Honda, and started waving at her with my left hand She looked up from whatever she was doing (phone?) to see me basically standing on her hood waving at her, and she hit the brakes and swerved left. I kept riding along, sort of shaking my head in the universal sign for "I just encountered a stupid person"...and she didn't pass me for at least a quarter mile. Wollowing in shame I suspect.
    No apology or wave or any kind of interaction when she went by. The whole thing didn't even affect my heart rate, but I was thinking after that maybe it should have?
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 09-20-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I had room to swerve to the right, but for some reason I just unclipped my left foot, placed it gently on the hood of her Honda, and started waving at her with my left hand She looked up from whatever she was doing (phone?) to see me basically standing on her hood waving at her, and she hit the brakes and swerved left.
    Doh, for a GoPro!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ... The whole thing didn't even affect my heart rate, but I was thinking after that maybe it should have?
    Yes!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I feel you pain CB. Way to handle it in a memorable way!

I Ride for Donuts
    I don't know what I was thinking really... I should have been a little more defensive for sure. If she had been planning on turning right on the next street, I'd be smashed. Looking back on the situation it was comical, but not my smartest move. Hopefully she was more shaken up by it than I was, and she'll pay attention next time.

...I should have at least kicked the hood with enough force that it sounded like she'd hit something.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Had some choad in a BMW shave past me this morning. Closest call I've had yet. Still, it was a lovely commute in. Got stuck behind someone on a BSO pootling down the gorge.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Had some choad in a BMW shave past me this morning. Closest call I've had yet. Still, it was a lovely commute in. Got stuck behind someone on a BSO pootling down the gorge.
    Me too! Some old guy came within inches of me and I don't even think he ever saw me.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Me too! Some old guy came within inches of me and I don't even think he ever saw me.
    Thing is, if I get up late, after 15 mins on the bike I'm fully awake and alert. If they roll out of bed and into their Beemer, they're probably still partly asleep.

Moderator Moderator
    Found my clear sunglasses this afternoon on the the trail right where I left them yesterday morning after stopping to toss some branches, take off my windbreaker, etc.

I was supposed to leave my house this a.m. with the work car at 6 a.m. for fieldwork. I woke up and my clock said 3:20 a.m., but it was light out, so I knew something was wrong. It's an atomic clock and was switched to CA time by mistake. I had to throw on my clothes and race out the door, a terrible way to start the day.

Bicycle Radical
    My commute was fairly uneventful but pleasant. The weather today was about perfect: 22C, not much wind, and bright sunshine. Of course, this meant for a very busy MUT trip but I didn't feel like pushing too hard so it was fine. I did stop by my LBS on the way home and buy a replacement tube but I also made a nice impulse purchase, a Bianchi celeste water bottle and cage. They got me dammit.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Digital Toast
    Was chilly this morning. I've been working two jobs sequentially from 6am to 11pm, for the last 10 days. Helping some friends out who own a hotel in the afternoon / evening. So they can go on vacation. I just went out to have a look at our parking lot and freaked out for a minute when I realized my car was missing. Then it hit me....I rode my bike. Boy am I tired.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

weirdo
    While the mornings are getting chilly, the evenings are still nice. I was ready to go tonight way before I usually leave, so I just hopped on the bike and did a lap around my valley before cutting off and heading to work. Still got in about 20 minutes ahead of schedule- should have stretched it out a little bit more.

It's an atomic clock and was switched to CA time by mistake.
    Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroack View Post
    I just went out to have a look at our parking lot and freaked out for a minute when I realized my car was missing. Then it hit me....I rode my bike.
    Haha! I don`t think I`ve done that, but I have gone wandering around a parking lot looking for my truck only to remember on the second lap that I drove my wife`s car.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Thing is, if I get up late, after 15 mins on the bike I'm fully awake and alert. If they roll out of bed and into their Beemer, they're probably still partly asleep.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Pos rep for you sir.
    Bearded Women Racing

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    My commute was fairly uneventful but pleasant. The weather today was about perfect: 22C, not much wind, and bright sunshine. Of course, this meant for a very busy MUT trip but I didn't feel like pushing too hard so it was fine. I did stop by my LBS on the way home and buy a replacement tube but I also made a nice impulse purchase, a Bianchi celeste water bottle and cage. They got me dammit.
    Haha! Support your LBS. I can't go into a shop and leave empty handed.
    Bearded Women Racing

MTB, Road, Commuting
    It's an atomic clock and was switched to CA time by mistake.
    That's actually kind of funny in that technology makes life better but doesn't kind of way. Who did the FMEA on this clock anyway.(geek joke)

Anyway, the commute was good. The temp was warmer than yesterday but I felt colder.

Happy first day of fall, Y'all

Should I buy a Fatbike? 2012 Mukluk 3 for $900. I should right?

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

Should I buy a Fatbike? 2012 Mukluk 3 for $900. I should right?
    Yes, you should.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I managed to make it in without getting jousted by a van with PVC hanging out the passenger window. It wasn't really a close call (if you could even call it a "call"), but I thought getting hit like that would result in a fun story (not saying I'd volunteer for the part).