Page 284 of 597 FirstFirst ... 184 234 274 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 294 334 384 ... LastLast
Results 7,076 to 7,100 of 14924
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You got me there. Clearly two trips to the grocery store to buy things for completely different meals would be cheaper than one trip to the grocery store to buy stuff for one meal that would provide leftovers. Geez get a grip you go to the grocery store on a regular basis

But the good news is that I can change my spending habits and fork over more money to get out of my rut.Nope I don't think you can You, however, will always have bad grammar.
    To deep a rut to see out of it.....

I Ride for Donuts
    jeffscott, you ride bikes, and therefore I have a certain amount of respect for you. Clearly I am a retard for not doing it exactly like you do it, but the bottom line is we both do it. Arguing for argument's sake is questionably entertaining for a while, but certainly gets old. Don't take me changing the subject as accepting any sort of defeat, since obviously I'm almost as stubborn as you are, and I'm convinced I'm doing it right. How was your commute today? I saw a cow peeing. It was impressive.

MTBX, sorry to hear about the bumps and bruises. I haven't gone down in a while...probably due.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ...I saw a cow peeing. It was impressive...
    SWEET!!!

Sorry about your crash MTXB. Sudden loss of traction is at the root of most of my crashes.

It was a crisp, dry, fall morning here. Alas, I saw no peeing cows.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    MTBX, hope you are OK.

JordyB, impressive photo that could be a fatbike ad.

We broke our consecutive days without rain streak here in Seattle...49 days. I actually had to put my rain gear on to ride to work this morning. But, it's supposed to clear right back up and be sunny and 70's by tomorrow - yay!

Rode down at Mt. St. Helens with the wife this past weekend. A very memorable ride!

(This is taken from the backside of St. Helens - the eruption blew out the other side of the mountain - that notch used to be a glacier that melted in the eruption - cool!)

(This one is looking up into the crater at Mt. St. Helens, that bulge you see is the lava dome rebuilding inside the crater.)

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Very cool. I was keeping an eye on the St. Helens webcam for a while there when it started rebuilding that dome in a big hurry a year or two ago.

mtbr member
    New location, new commute. I LOVE IT!! I am now on a MUP and not a narrow 2 lane highway full of trucks. So much better!

mtbr member
    I love my new commute! New location, but no more narrow 2 lane full of trucks.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks all for the well wishes! Luckily I haven't been crashing much so the "worst crash of the season" only resulted in some bruises/scrapes.

Cool pic Woodway! I didn't know about the glacier.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    jeffscott, you ride bikes, and therefore I have a certain amount of respect for youThat should not be cause you to respect me. Clearly I am a retard for not doing it exactly like you doNever said that it, but the bottom line is we both do it. Arguing for argument's sake is questionably entertaining for a while, but certainly gets old. Don't take me changing the subject as accepting any sort of defeat, since obviously I'm almost as stubborn as you are, and I'm convinced I'm doing it rightdon't care if you do it right or not. How was your commute today? I saw a cow peeing. It was impressive.
    You use spurious arguments which trivialize others input. Pay attention, smarten up and becareful...

Some of those other ways may actually be very helpful. I know I have changed many things since I started commuting and continue to do so...

I got pushed right by a lady who clearly, had no idea where the right side of her car was.

I Ride for Donuts
    Alright then, I don't respect you. Glad we could clear that up.

Sorry about the close call.

Ride on.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Very cool. I was keeping an eye on the St. Helens webcam for a while there when it started rebuilding that dome in a big hurry a year or two ago.
    She wasn't smoking this last weekend, but here is a photo from another ride I did down there a few years ago. This one is looking full-on into the crater and rebuilding was in progress! Riding down there is very humbling...

I Ride for Donuts
    Nice! I've climbed Shasta a couple times, and when you get to the top and get near that steam vent, and smell the sulfur, you just have to ask yourself... "why am I up here again? And how fast could I get down?"

Bicycle Addict
    Good commute today. We took a detour through the park
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yesterday was the last full day, at 150km.
    rode that and today's 80k on hurt tendons.
    i'm hurt, but i'm home.

will post vids or pics or whatever the heck when i settle in, but right now it looks like my total mileage was abut 1200km (had to sit out 1/2 of day 7 and all day 8 because of my achilles being strained)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^^ duuuuuuude. Nice work.

mtbr member
    I just saw this, and thought it was cool:

Soma bikes reps them here (I found it on their blog), but there are a bunch on ebay/dealextreme, and now I kindof want one.

Gumnut Peddler
    Did my bit today as a good Samaritan.
    Passed a drunk homless man walking down the street smashing plants with a steel pipe on the way into work.
    My mate and I decided to stop and turn around when we saw a young woman walking down the same path towards the drunken fool. Gave the lady a heads up and then rode slowly behind her as she walked past, making sure the idiot didnt try to do anything funny.

Luckily he didn’t try anything when we passed, but he did yell out a heap of abuse once we were safely past him. Hopefully nobody else runs into him today, especially given the angry state he was in and how popular the path is for early morning joggers/riders.

Fingers crossed he gets picked up by police before he injures anybody.

mtbr member
    First day this year with long tights. I was chilly for the first 15 minutes with a light jacket, tights, headband and softshell gloves. I love fall in New England

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

Soma bikes reps them here (I found it on their blog), but there are a bunch on ebay/dealextreme, and now I kindof want one.
    Neat idea. I'm curious how visible they are on a dark road for drivers.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ I seriously considered the tights this morning. It was in the mid 40s. Breezy last night.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We were mid-40's this morning too. But I'm not ready to give up riding in shorts yet!

Making due...
    Nice and cool this morning. Had another commuter in front of me on a bright green 29er of some sort. I somewhat attempted to catch up to him, but he didn't seem all that interested in exchanging pleasantries so just maintained pace after a while. We soon parted ways at a roundabout.

I'm fairly certain he's an employee of Garmin as quite a few of their employees bike to work and he was headed that direction.

Really getting comfortable riding in traffic as well and most cars don't seem to mind when I take the lane (when needed).
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Neat idea. I'm curious how visible they are on a dark road for drivers.
    Me too. I bet they don't help much with visibility, since a driver a 1/2 block behind you wouldn't see them because of the angle, and neither would someone coming at you from the side. But they should be visible to someone passing you, unless their headlights flood out the lines? And if they do see them, will they give you more space or less? Who knows? I might still get one just to experiment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

... and now I kindof want one.
    Cool, but as far as lighting up patch of road to be seen, I've got that covered:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    I felt cold in shorts, short sleeves, and arm warmers this morning... just checked it, nad supposedly it's 39 out there. Either I'm toughening up after a week or so of colder mornings, or that's a bit off... probably a combo of both. I was guessing 41 or 42. Definitely could have been wearing more, but I always consider it training for January...

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I felt cold in shorts, short sleeves, and arm warmers this morning... just checked it, nad supposedly it's 39 out there. Either I'm toughening up after a week or so of colder mornings, or that's a bit off... probably a combo of both. I was guessing 41 or 42. Definitely could have been wearing more, but I always consider it training for January...
    Freudian typo? A true commentary on the effect of the temperature and your clothing choice?