Page 283 of 610 FirstFirst ... 183 233 273 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 293 333 383 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,075 of 15250
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Huh??? Even if there was a cleaner that offered pickup and delivery service at my place or work (and I don't think there is,betcha there is, and the costs are surprisingly low I must be outside today's age) it would eclipse the economy of riding to work. Cellphone, wallet, keys & minor tools make the trip every day in a fanny pack all in zip-lock bags because if the rain doesn't get them the sweat will.
    All I regularly carry back and forth is wallet and car keys....don't ususally bother with the cellphone...but it fits in a pcket just fine thanks.

Tools and tube go in the saddle pack, bottle and pump mount on the frame...jacket gets wrap around the bars if I don't wear it.

Course I could get a pack or panniers...but then I would have to put something in them....I guess I could get some bricks....yeah there is a plan....bricks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ Assuming you mean DON'T need to carry things back and forth?
    I carry lunch (to save $$), a spare tube, a multitool, underwear and a T-shirt, phone and an iPod. Clothes stay at work.
    So you don't have a lunch fridge at work???? that is unusual....and a downtown grocery store....you know go shopping for lunch at lunch or after work once a week sort of thing.....

Spare tube and tools in the saddle bag for me thanks....

Wallet, keys, and phone in a jacket pocket.....underwear in the pockets as well...clothes at work (easy enough)...jacket around the bars if I don't wear it.

Get an Iphone and lose the pack...

You are just stuck in a rut.

I Ride for Donuts
    Yes, I need to get with the times and tie my clothes to my bike like everyone else

Do iPhones transport themselves to work?

Grocery shopping for lunch is just as expensive as buying lunch... I bring leftovers from yesterday's dinner. And yes, I keep them in the fridge at work until lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    All I regularly carry back and forth is wallet and car keys....don't ususally bother with the cellphone...but it fits in a pcket just fine thanks.

Tools and tube go in the saddle pack, bottle and pump mount on the frame...jacket gets wrap around the bars if I don't wear it.

Course I could get a pack or panniers...but then I would have to put something in them....I guess I could get some bricks....yeah there is a plan....bricks.
    ^^ Well there you go. You're just mounting stuff to the bike instead of carrying it, and then implying that people are foolish for carrying it. Personally I hate having stuff mounted to my bike. I'd much rather put the tools, tube, pump, and jacket in a backpack. I like the bike to be as nimble as possible, and I want to be able to throw it around without having the weight distribution being different or worring about mounted stuff moving or falling off. When I mountain bike, I wear a camelbak instead of using water bottles and cages. This doesn't make people who use water bottles dumb or behind the times.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Making due...
    Pretty sure this is all down to a matter of preference for the most part.

I don't want to leave my clothes at work, mostly because it's not all the hard to throw them into my pack and there's a high likelihood I'd flat out forget to bring them home on a Friday.

I don't generally like having extra stuff hanging off the bike, I don't even like my saddle pack, but it remains until I get a nice hydro pack with enough storage for my keys, phone, and GPS. Having those items in my pockets wearing baggies drives me batty as they bang against my leg.

Also, I don't think anyone was really complaining about their situation, just explaining how they roll. I have to use sandwich baggies because I'm too poor to get a waterproof backpack.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

Moderator Moderator
    CB, I hear that undies make an excellent hi-vis flag for the bike. Socks could go on your bars to keep them warmer.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    You are just stuck in a rut.
    But I like my rut.

I have a wife that works in the same building so I just use her as a Sherpa for my lunch and a weeks worth of clothes.

I've got the tire changer app for my android so I don't need to carry tubes anymore but I DO need the phone or I'll be stuck on the side of the road with a flat.

OMG, it it time to ride yet? I'm obviously winding down here at work (AKA xxxxing off) at the end of the week.

Moderator Moderator
    jeffscott, I'm curious what the car keys are for?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    jeffscott, I'm curious what the car keys are for?
    I have the key to my house, three keys for the office....and two car keys....and one key for the bike carrier on the car...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, I need to get with the times and tie my clothes to my bike like everyone else Jacket not clothes they stay at work right?

Do iPhones transport themselves to work? No they fit in a pocket but then you don't need an I pod as well as a phone....doh

Grocery shopping for lunch is just as expensive as buying lunch... I bring leftovers from yesterday's dinner. And yes, I keep them in the fridge at work until lunch.that is a crock of BS

^^ Well there you go. You're just mounting stuff to the bike instead of carrying it, and then implying that people are foolish for carrying it. Personally I hate having stuff mounted to my bike. I'd much rather put the tools, tube, pump, and jacket in a backpack. I like the bike to be as nimble as possible, and I want to be able to throw it around without having the weight distribution being different or worring about mounted stuff moving or falling off. When I mountain bike, I wear a camelbak instead of using water bottles and cages. This doesn't make people who use water bottles dumb or behind the times.

Like I said the brother is attached to his pack like a securtiy blanket as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    But I like my rut. What ever turns your cranks

I have a wife that works in the same building so I just use her as a Sherpa for my lunch and a weeks worth of clothes. Yeah same here

I've got the tire changer app for my android so I don't need to carry tubes anymore but I DO need the phone or I'll be stuck on the side of the road with a flat.Tube in the saddle bag for about the tenth time

OMG, it it time to ride yet? I'm obviously winding down here at work (AKA xxxxing off) at the end of the week.
    Yeah I got a slow ride home on the knobbies....went to the mountains last night and didn't have time to switch back to the slicks....

Hey maybe that is why I leave all the tools tubes pump and water bottle on the bike....cause bingo its ready to go.....I only use the camel back on 4 hour plus rides.

I Ride for Donuts
    I'll never understand how some folks get those little green blobs under their username. Cheap entertainment though...

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Tube in the saddle bag for about the tenth time
    Alright, you got me. I keep my tube in the saddlebag. Since I have bikes that take 3 different tube sizes I keep them with the bike. I would NEVER remember to swap it out every time in the pack and end up with a funny look on my face trying to use a 700x23 tube in a 26" tire.

Also, I don't want to rely on the tire-fixer app because what if my battery dies.

I Ride for Donuts
    GET WITH THE TIMES!!! TIE YOUR CRAP ON YOUR BARS!!

OK I'll stop now.

PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it. Looking forward to the extendo-Friday 18 miler.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 09-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Making due...
    50mph headwind gusts and rain stings a bit, especially with a sleeveless shirt. I could only manage 8-11 mph on flat ground heading directly into the wind. Also rode over an overpass (took the short route home) with a wicked crosswind at the top, that too was interesting.

Learned a few things on this trip

- I'd like wet weather shoes
    - My crappy pedals are even worse when wet and trying to mash up a hill
    - The drivers on my short route (on much busier 4-lane 45mph roads) lose their minds when it's raining and drive like they've never been behind the wheel before
    - The aforementioned drivers like to try and splash you, even though you're already soaked and covered in road grime from having no fenders

On the flipside, with the wind at my back I managed to hit 22mph and hold it on an uphill section.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuManchu View Post
    - The drivers on my short route (on much busier 4-lane 45mph roads) lose their minds when it's raining and drive like they've never been behind the wheel before
    - The aforementioned drivers like to try and splash you, even though you're already soaked and covered in road grime from having no fenders
    I always like to imagine that Karma will catch up with those people and then they'll be sorry. Since in my mind Karma is a 12 foot tall gorilla covered in blue hair, breathes fire, and has no sense of humor towards those who mistreat us, especially on those nasty days when we're just trying to go home.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it.
    If you`re too lazy to dig up another wife who works in your building, just arrange for your laundry service to drop off your lunch while they`re swapping your clothes. They can just tie it to your bike so there`s no reason to track you down every day. Pull your head out, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by DuManchu View Post
    On the flipside, with the wind at my back I managed to hit 22mph and hold it on an uphill section.
    When you get a tailwind like that, it`s ALMOST enough to forget how much headwinds suck.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Finally back on the wagon after having BabyB_2...felt so great to bike commute to work, plus it was nice enough to roll Fat Friday. We recently had a "wind storm" as classified by NOAA with top gusts of 131 mph unofficially. We don't get hurricanes in Alaska...only "wind storms" HAHAH right, a million trees down, cars and houses crushed, power lost for days for some folks, the list goes on....fat was worth its weight today!

Broken bicycle trail after the storm, many more places along the tire with trees down like this.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the baby and getting back to the bikecommute, Jordy! Those are some fierce winds, the results definitely look fathworthy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    PS I just finished my crock of BS lunch. I'm fairly certain it was cheaper than it would have been if I had purchased it. Looking forward to the extendo-Friday 18 miler.
    Still a crock...where did you buy the dinner leftovers from a grocery store.....there it is...

You can eat the home left overs and home and luch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....

Your still stuck in a rut.

Same cost maybe even lower depends on coupons and sales etc.

mtbr member
    You can eat the home left overs and home and lunch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....
    If his work place is anything like mine, even if the food doesn't get eaten by "lounge scroungers" who are too cheap to buy their own food, then it'll get thrown out, at least in my workplace we have a strict policy of " All food MUST be labeled with name and date. Any food unnamed or more than 1 day old WILL be thrown away, NO EXCEPTIONS!". I brown bag it everyday as well but have made it known eating my lunch will result in loss of a limb of the perpetrator.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    If his work place is anything like mine, even if the food doesn't get eaten by "lounge scroungers" who are too cheap to buy their own food, then it'll get thrown out, at least in my workplace we have a strict policy of " All food MUST be labeled with name and date. Any food unnamed or more than 1 day old WILL be thrown away, NO EXCEPTIONS!". I brown bag it everyday as well but have made it known eating my lunch will result in loss of a limb of the perpetrator.
    Seems like a pretty low end place????

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like eating good food, so I pack my lunch every day and eat whatever we cook for dinner the night before. Today I have stir fry with pork and green beans. Good stuff. If I forget my lunch, I can walk over to Subway. No one touches my stuff. They know not to get between me and my food. I'm the skinniest guy here but I eat the more than anyone else in the office.

The temps are awesome. It was in the 50s this morning. I actually wore gloves to keep my hands worn. I need to wash those things. My hands stink.

Moderator Moderator
    I had my worst crash of the season this morning, and I was pushing the bike at the time!

It rained overnight and occasional sprinkles when I was trailriding, returning the New England roots and rocks to their now unfamiliar normal slippery state. At one uphill ledgy hill I didn’t make it up and got off to push up that section. My feet went right out from under me and I landed on a rock, luckily just above rather than on my elbow. The other landing point was the side of my leg mid-thigh. Owww…..

I Ride for Donuts
    Still a crock...where did you buy the dinner leftovers from a grocery store.....there it is...

You can eat the home left overs and home and luch left overs at work...if you have a fridge....

Your still stuck in a rut.

Same cost maybe even lower depends on coupons and sales etc.

You got me there. Clearly two trips to the grocery store to buy things for completely different meals would be cheaper than one trip to the grocery store to buy stuff for one meal that would provide leftovers.

But the good news is that I can change my spending habits and fork over more money to get out of my rut. You, however, will always have bad grammar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I had my worst crash of the season this morning, and I was pushing the bike at the time!

It rained overnight and occasional sprinkles when I was trailriding, returning the New England roots and rocks to their now unfamiliar normal slippery state. At one uphill ledgy hill I didn’t make it up and got off to push up that section. My feet went right out from under me and I landed on a rock, luckily just above rather than on my elbow. The other landing point was the side of my leg mid-thigh. Owww…..
    Sorry. Not as bad as in my imagination as it had you sliding and banging your way to the bottom before I got the the last two sentences read. So it could have been worse!

BrianMc