Page 282 of 421 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332382 ... LastLast
Results 14,051 to 14,100 of 21011
    CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I was cat6ing a roadie a bit this morning on my ss 29er. I was doing a reasonable job of it with my 2.4 knobbies and 32x16 gearing, but he didn't stop at stopsigns which really gave him an insurmountable lead.
    The only racing I did today was CAT-S. I won too. Strava Segment | Crystal Lake Circuit

Rodar, you're doing it backwards. You're supposed to start with traditional bikes and retire to the recumbent. I'll ask too, what's your new toy?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Dogleg Commute home last night took me to the lower hillside. Singlespeed is fun right? ;p

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Rather uneventful here, minus one moment. Ran into a guy I know from the local bike scene who works at an LBS known for poor customer service and a rather pretentious feel. We met as he passed me on the right as I was stopped at a red, proceeded to run the light, causing a vehicle to take evasive action, and then rode in the gutter for a few until he picked up speed, at which point he took the lane without signaling, didn't hold a line, and was extremely unpredictable. Literally everything he did was a reason given by motorists to justify a disdain for cyclists.

I messaged him on Facebook, to keep it between he and I. So far, he's done nothing but defend his actions while telling me that because he's been riding for blah blah blah. "I have to ride aggressively to be seen"... Yeah, no.
    Frustrating!

Nice pic Jordy

I'd rather be on my bike
    Nice picture Jordy, and yes, singlespeed is FUN!!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

mtbr member
    ^ I was cat6ing a roadie a bit this morning on my ss 29er. I was doing a reasonable job of it with my 2.4 knobbies and 32x16 gearing, but he didn't stop at stopsigns which really gave him an insurmountable lead.
    Sounds like an excuse to me :-)

mtbr member
    ^ oh, he would have gotten away from me regardless.

But I'd have preferred if he'd done it fairly instead of cheating. Normally someone will pass me at a stopsign, and I'll catch up again with them pretty quickly. But actually trying to keep up with someone who is blowing stopsigns really made me realize how much effort repeated stops/starts take.

I will say it was the better part of 2km, and I was only about half a block behind him when he turned off, and I'd had to stop 4 times.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

^ oh, he would have gotten away from me regardless.

But I'd have preferred if he'd done it fairly instead of cheating. Normally someone will pass me at a stopsign, and I'll catch up again with them pretty quickly. But actually trying to keep up with someone who is blowing stopsigns really made me realize how much effort repeated stops/starts take.

I will say it was the better part of 2km, and I was only about half a block behind him when he turned off, and I'd had to stop 4 times.
    I get it often from the "racers" in the community, but the way I see it, the stopping and starting just makes me stronger.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    I get it often from the "racers" in the community, but the way I see it, the stopping and starting just makes me stronger.
    Standing and hammering from every stop is a great way to get faster. Especially on a commute with a lot of stopping. As Rides a Ten Speed Everywhere Guy says, "it's a great way to stay in shape".

mtbr member
    Painful yet satisfying. I got a flat on my roadbike 'cause I somehow tore the stem while filling up the tire. I didn't have time to fix it 'cause some co-workers were waiting for me. I took out my old beater SS converted Trek 850. It's not too steep of a gear at 40x16 but it was a long climb to work.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Standing and hammering from every stop is a great way to get faster. Especially on a commute with a lot of stopping. As Rides a Ten Speed Everywhere Guy says, "it's a great way to stay in shape".
    I keep it at 53x23 when at lights and stops. Takes a good amount of effort to get going, but makes a great "in between stops" gear.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Rather uneventful here, minus one moment. Ran into a guy I know from the local bike scene who works at an LBS known for poor customer service and a rather pretentious feel. We met as he passed me on the right as I was stopped at a red, proceeded to run the light, causing a vehicle to take evasive action, and then rode in the gutter for a few until he picked up speed, at which point he took the lane without signaling, didn't hold a line, and was extremely unpredictable. Literally everything he did was a reason given by motorists to justify a disdain for cyclists.

I messaged him on Facebook, to keep it between he and I. So far, he's done nothing but defend his actions while telling me that because he's been riding for blah blah blah. "I have to ride aggressively to be seen"... Yeah, no.
    This guy sounds like an ass-hat. You should definitely post the conversation here when it comes to a conclusion.

mtbr member
    Took a geared bike today. Was actually slower, not sure if its the gears or the fact my legs are a bit deader (or the fact that its an old 26" mountain bike set up like a flatbar touring bike). That'll show me

Hopefully I have the legs to get home, and maybe find some of the sweet spots in the new gearing.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member

This guy sounds like an ass-hat. You should definitely post the conversation here when it comes to a conclusion.
    Me: Hey man. I'm not going to call you out in public, but some things do need to be addressed.

This morning I watched you pass a line of cars on the right who were stopped for a red light when you had no dedicated lane, which is a dick move, and dangerous. From there, you proceeded to run a red light whilst dodging cars, and jumped from riding in the gutter to trying to take the lane without signaling. Pretty much a trifecta of why there's so much tension between motorists and cyclists.

The bottom line is if you want drivers to give us the respect we're owed, you have to do the same for them. It particularly annoys me because I'm not just a commuter, but I ride everywhere, and during peak traffic times, 7 days a week. I see and experience first hand the effects if such cavalier and irresponsible behavior.

Do me a favor, and ride like a car, not like you're in a crit.

Him: I have been doing this for a while. By pulling in front of the cars makes it so they don't turn into me while not using a signal. Crossing traffic allows me to get back up to speed and get back in a strait line before the onslaught of cars pick up again. im sorry you don't agree with my style. its something that I have learned over time to be aggressive and highly visable

Me: It's not a style to be agreed with, Rich. The thing is, everything I described to you was illegal, and goes against what has been fought long and hard for in Florida. At no point in time did anything you did promise a safer ride, and in fact, made things even more dangerous. You and I both know you should have taken the lane behind the last vehicle, but instead, you chose to ride like DUI pedal masher.

I kept this private between you and I, and intend on it remaining as such. I have no reason to smear your name, but I'm asking you as a fellow bike commuter to clean it up a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Back on the bike after shaking a cold. Got someone to give me a ride home last week as I wasn't gonna do the "fever" ride again. Did that last year and it was a terrible ride home. Might've ridden out the cold if it was cooler out but with the Vegas summer in full force I gotta be 100% for the blazing peddle home.

An incident free commute today and the bike is running smooth and silent after weeks and weeks of frustrations.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Back on the bike after shaking a cold. Got someone to give me a ride home last week as I wasn't gonna do the "fever" ride again. Did that last year and it was a terrible ride home. Might've ridden out the cold if it was cooler out but with the Vegas summer in full force I gotta be 100% for the blazing peddle home.

An incident free commute today and the bike is running smooth and silent after weeks and weeks of frustrations.
    Glad you're feeling better. I tried to do the "sweat it out" thing a few weeks ago. Wound up calling the wife to pick me up at noon and called in for the next 4 days. Definitely not one of my brightest moments.

weirdo
    I`ve never Cat 6`d or been Cat 6`d. I suppose that`s good, but I still feel a little left out!

But actually trying to keep up with someone who is blowing stopsigns really made me realize how much effort repeated stops/starts take.
    Seriously. Downtown (the old downtown, where the casionos are) Reno is actually kinda neat with slow traffic and a beautiful tree-lined "river" flowing right through the middle of it. It would be great for riding except the constant traffic signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    As much as I love my commuter I still miss the recumbent ride. It was like a lounge chair. At least in seating position, if not in padding.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You're supposed to start with traditional bikes and retire to the recumbent.
    You had a bent, Sanath? Yeah, I found riding it to be a lot of fun though, strangely, not as comfortable for me as a "wedgie", so retirement to bentdom didn`t work out. I found that my beaten up old Schwinn has been and continues to be my go-to for nearly every kind of riding. Better to pass the bent along to somebody who`s going to use it, and better to be taking up space somewhere besides my limited shed.

New ride is a very used Suzuki DR650, heavy and clumsy highway-friendly dual sport. Hmmm... just about the same description as my Schwinn
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Blech...humid here today, but at least it's not raining for once - just cloudy. Finally got to ride in after too much time driving in the rain last week. I had a headwind, which is bizarre. I almost never have headwinds on my way to work.

Physical therapy approved me to "run" yesterday. And by run, I mean run for 30 seconds and then walk for 4 minutes. Repeat 5 times. The last time I ran it was February and I was running through snow. So while it's small progress, it's still progress! The only good thing to come out of being injured for 2 years is that it gave me the idea to bike commute

mtbr member
    I bonked on my way into work this morning. I took the long route for the first time this year, last time I did that route was the day last summer that crazy lady who almost hit me and I flipped off started taking pictures of me. Before leaving I had 4 or 5oz of homemade fruit protein smoothie and 5 miles into my 14 mile ride, I started to lose energy. I stupidly had no food with me other than my leftover chicken parm for lunch, so I had to ride through it for the next 40 minutes.

On a positive note, it was beautiful out. Mid 60's and sunny. Can't beat that for commuting weather!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    You had a bent, Sanath? Yeah, I found riding it to be a lot of fun though, strangely, not as comfortable for me as a "wedgie", so retirement to bentdom didn`t work out. I found that my beaten up old Schwinn has been and continues to be my go-to for nearly every kind of riding. Better to pass the bent along to somebody who`s going to use it, and better to be taking up space somewhere besides my limited shed.
    The first ride I used to bikecommute was an old Bike-E I borrowed from my boss for a few months. 7 speed casette + 3 speed hub gear, no lights, not really enough reflectors, and not really enough seat padding. He offered to sell it to me but I didn't want to deal with a bike with no round tubes, making it basically impossible to fit into any common bike carriers or work stands.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I found that my beaten up old Schwinn has been and continues to be my go-to for nearly every kind of riding.
    You still riding the Bike Friday folder, Rodar? You were riding impressively strong on it when you were out my way last year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Glad you're feeling better. I tried to do the "sweat it out" thing a few weeks ago. Wound up calling the wife to pick me up at noon and called in for the next 4 days. Definitely not one of my brightest moments.
    Thanks. I ended up calling off three days over this cold.

CB of the East
    I bonked on my way into work this morning. I took the long route for the first time this year, last time I did that route was the day last summer that crazy lady who almost hit me and I flipped off started taking pictures of me. Before leaving I had 4 or 5oz of homemade fruit protein smoothie and 5 miles into my 14 mile ride, I started to lose energy. I stupidly had no food with me other than my leftover chicken parm for lunch, so I had to ride through it for the next 40 minutes.

On a positive note, it was beautiful out. Mid 60's and sunny. Can't beat that for commuting weather!
    I can ride on an empty stomach (not counting coffee) with no problems. I can roll out the door and do 30 miles before breakfast. But if I eat something too sugary about 1-1.5 hours before my ride I bonk. Usually it's a few cookies around 3:30 and a 5:00 ride. It's pretty weird. If I eat something right before my ride it doesn't happen.

mtbr member

No ride this morning. Didn't sleep well at all last night, and woke up extremely fatigued. Took the wife's minivan, hoping that it will give me enough of a rest to get back in the saddle tomorrow. Got plans for an early dinner and early bedtime tonight, which should put everything back on track.

Moderator Moderator
    Grabbed some rear brake Monday and there was nothing there. If you are ever tempted to "just leave it" when you bend one of those v-brake pad retention pins, since they are only needed if you brake while going backwards, don't! One of the v-brake pads was gone, making it - not surprisingly - ineffective. Probably backed out while putting it in the hatch after that kayak shuttle Sunday. Rode in with just the front disc and the LBS put on new rear pads after work for pads + $5.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    You were riding impressively strong on it when you were out my way last year.
    Thank you, Woodway! I don`t hear that one very often, at least not by people who ride. Haven`t used the folder since the trip up in your neighborhood, but I`m hanging on to it anyway. It`s just too neat-o to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    If you are ever tempted to "just leave it" when you bend one of those v-brake pad retention pins, since they are only needed if you brake while going backwards, don't!
    Uh-oh! I that same train of thought then had the to-be-expected results! In my case, the tuition was very cheap for that particular lesson. It popped out while while pushing my mtb up a steep section and I knew right away because I felt it hit my shoe. Was able to retrieve it and put it back in, then just had to be careful not to shoot it out again on that ride and put a pin in it (piece of a paper clip, I think) as soon as I got home.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Day off of work, but I still rode the route. Wanted to test out a new light setup that I have. Niterider Lumina 700 on the bar, Niterider Lumina 350 on my helmet, and the Serfas Thunderbolt on the rear. The helmet mount is really only for the few miles of MUP that I ride. The rest of my route is well lit with street lights/traffic/house lights. Once I hit the MUP though, it is lights out, total darkness, and all kinds of wild life that jumps out. Nearly creamed a suicidal rabbit in fact as I was building up speed to make the last climb. I like being able to look off the path quickly, and have it lit up for me very well on the brightest setting. The downside? It looks really dorky.

There is a guy here, and this is no joke, who is decked out in full body armor, a full face helmet, and a Go Pro mounted to it. He rides a full suspension Superfly of some sort I believe, it is pretty decked out from what I have heard. He rides the sidewalks on campus and "jumps" off the curbs once in a while. I have seen him twice now, and people have asked if I know who he is. He is dressed like he is at the top of the run at Whistler. I put that light on my helmet, and I feel like him LOL.

Aside from testing my lights, wanted to test my stem and bar position. It is perfect now. Very little hand or back fatigue and I rode there and back with a 20 minute break in between. Managed to snap off a few pictures while I was out and about. So far, I absolutely love the bike and how fast it is. Feels like I am just flying on the flat areas. Have to catch myself so that I am not going faster than I can stop without crashing.

mtbr member
    Pretty good, weather was fine etc. There's a section of cycle/footpath that runs between two main roads past a meadow etc. Maybe a mile long and runs down to river level then back up the other side. You could comfortably ride 3 abreast. Towards the the end of the uphill there was an oldish guy on a mountain bike pretty much randomnly tacking his way from one side of the path to the other as he made the climb. Needs a lower gear I think.

mtbr member
    Took the makeshift touring bike again today. Not sure if its the gears or the weight I'm trying to get used to. Technically it only takes about 10-12 minutes longer but I feel so slow. I can't seem to pedal fast enough to really get my heart rate up either (suspect that part at least is the gearing, though the bike probably does weigh about twice what my SS cross bike weighs, and nearly twice what my road bike weighs).

I suspect I will probably end up using the bike as I intended - for bike path rides with my wife, and eventually to do the Great Alleghenny Passage / C&O canal tour, making the SS my go-to commuter. I do like taking the trunk bag to work so I can pick up groceries if needed though (it has expandable panniers on either side) - guess I will have to ride home, get the other bike and then ride to the store in those cases

Moderator Moderator
    A somewhat soggy but good ride in, with temps in the lower 60’s. Making some progress with my deer-chasing dog. On our morning walk Monday, he watched a doe who stood still and stared at us from 25’ away, coming when called and walking on by afterwards. Tuesday another deer, but this one bounding away from maybe 40’ off the trail, and again Keeper did not chase it. I’m sure there will still be setbacks, but perhaps some light –and a reliable trail dog - at the end of the tunnel.

CB of the East
    ^^How did you manage that? Deer are a pretty fun thing in a dogs world. I can't imagine a one that resists that temptation and just watches one.

Soggy commute here too but it would have been less soggy if I just ditched the rain gear. It was borderline cool and I made the wrong choice.

No one calls me Maurice.
    So Jealous of everyone riding today. I'm 2.5 weeks from my last ride. Think I'll take tomorrow off (assuming I fly back on time) and hit a half century to catch up.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^How did you manage that? Deer are a pretty fun thing in a dogs world. I can't imagine a one that resists that temptation and just watches one.
    Yes, this is an interesting result of using a remote control (Garmin Delta electronic collar) to discourage deer-running. Where a regular dog would chase a deer maybe a few hundred feet and come back, my hardened criminal (a former stray in NY north country with tons of deer) would sometimes go for miles, and has even herded one back to me at least 3 times. Obviously, this is not good for the deer, safe for the dog, or conducive to off-leash hikes/bikes. So now that he has been getting a shock as soon as he takes off after one, instead of becoming a normal dog that chases for a bit, he is learning not to chase them at all, there is no halfway with him. He gets treats and “good dogs” for not chasing, although he sometime eschews the treats altogether, or grabs them with a “can’t you see I’m going out of my mind with that deer right there” attitude and keeps focusing on the deer. I have not been giving him a “no” or any other command when we see a deer, just the zap if he chases it, because I want him to not chase it even if he sees it before I see it. The desired effect is like the deer is doing the correction, and thus should be avoided.

edit: the other key is from the first use of the collar to convince your dog that you are the "safe zone" and to call gayly and provide treats and jollying up, so that they always return to you if you have to use the remote.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 06-26-2014 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, gotta love the remote collars. My dog had a serious freakout hatred of bikes, and considering that all of our offleash areas are riddled with bikepaths that made things tricky. But she got a couple of well calibrated zaps last year, and this year she seems to be magically cured.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Hasn't ridden to work in the last three days because I've been working 10.5 hour shifts. Today was the fastest ride in a while. Funny thing is I've been contemplating converting an old steel road frame into a single speed for commuting and other utilitarian purposes, so today I just found a good feeling speedy kinda gear setup (44/17 I think) and just kept it. I know it's not the same and I'd never say it is but it's nice to not worry about shifting and I think many times we do it because we think it's going to make things easier. That's not necessarily true.

Averaged 18 mph with full saddlebags and set some pr's. My legs also feel good, so I'll probably commit to a real single speed and keep my Fuji as the tail bike.

Good times.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I know it's not the same and I'd never say it is but it's nice to not worry about shifting and I think many times we do it because we think it's going to make things easier. That's not necessarily true.
    This is one of the reasons I went to singlespeed, and then on to fixed. I found myself constantly shifting on my CX bike, not because I had to, but more likely because I could. Always tried to make the hills easier than they were, and now, I have to just drop the hammer and pedal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    This is one of the reasons I went to singlespeed, and then on to fixed. I found myself constantly shifting on my CX bike, not because I had to, but more likely because I could. Always tried to make the hills easier than they were, and now, I have to just drop the hammer and pedal.
    Yup. I also hate adjusting shifters/derailleurs (except the friction stuff on my road bike). I think I still find myself "needing" the gears for rides longer than 50 miles or so, or with really widely varied terrain. But I have a 16/18 freewheel and a 17t fixed cog I'm due to put on the SS crosser that will hopefully help with the latter. I'm gradually getting over the former too - gonna have to if I ever want to finish a century on proper MTB trails.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Has anyone here used any single speed conversion kits? I've looked at a few. I don't know what to expect from any of those. What is an inexpensive and relatively easy way to convert? I've read something about taking apart a shimano HG cassette or two, slipping on a few spacers and a , getting the chain line straight, and then riding that. Is that real? Does that work?

mtbr member
    ^ the cassette spacers work fine. It's easiest if you've got a co-op that you can raid for worn, old cassettes.

This isn't a great shot, but on the left side is a dinglespeed setup using something like 8~10 old cassette spacers:

I've also used the kits. I'd say stay away from the 2-piece ones, and go for one of the Fibonacci ones or at least one that has lots of spacers in different sizes. But the kits are $20+, and for that price you might as well just use old cassettes.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Great news. The frame will be free and I've got a couple old cassettes laying around and the frame I'm getting is free as long as it fits, so I'm stoked about that. Now I guess I need a good cog and chainring.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Nice ride in. A very very warm 76F that had me dripping in sweat for some reason. Humidity wasn't too bad, and the sun wasn't that hot but the ride got me drenched. Absolutely love this bike and the new stem setup. Tomorrow the Specialized Avatar saddle is going on. Factory one isn't bad, but it isn't that great.

This is what the last two miles or so of my commute looks like.

Pitch black, with lots of noises off on either side, things moving in the brush, deer, rabbits, skunks, possum, and probably other stuff. It is relaxing with the sound of the frogs, but kind of creepy at the same time. Loving the dual light setup now as well.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Factory saddles are seldom very good until you get pretty high-end builds. Even then, one size never fits all.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    First and only bike day this week. Not that I really have any more available time today, but it's been a great week weather-wise (pleasant light rain M-W into warm and cloudless R-F) so I did it anyways.

FD high stop is still off of where it should be, I knocked the chain off the outside of the big ring again this morning. Giving some thought to removing the FD and running pretend 1x9 (50 x 11-24 or something). I've so far been unsuccessful adjusting the FD to get full casette range in the big ring without rubbing on the FD cage.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Factory saddles are seldom very good until you get pretty high-end builds. Even then, one size never fits all.
    Oh I know, just wanted to try it out to see how it was. There have been a few saddles that came on the bike that I have kept and prefer. Once I got the Avatar though, I was set, and that would be go to for any bike. One of the reasons I haven't swapped is because the factory saddle matches the bike very nicely, and I love how it looks. Vanity aside, my ass would like the Avatar installed pronto!

mtbr member
    The saddle that came stock on my Salsa was utterly horrific for me. Some WTB. No matter how I positioned it, it hurt my, ummmm, female parts. I wonder if it'll sell on Craigslist. I'll never be able to use it.

Commute in today was nice, although I had to drag myself out of bed. I stayed up too late last night visiting with a friend who was only in town briefly. There may have been beer involved as well.

I'd rather be on my bike
    WTB stuff seems to sell pretty well for some reason. I have tried quite a few of their saddles, and they did nothing for me. My friend swears by them and that is all he will ride. Find out what it is, and what size, he may buy it from you just to have a back up if you will ship to Michigan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    The saddle that came stock on my Salsa was utterly horrific for me. Some WTB.
    I'm a WTB fan and have WTB saddles on all of my bikes, but my Kona came with a WTB valcon that was horrific for me. I've tried it on 4 or 5 different frames now, in a bunch of different setups, and it is just 100% no-go. It's been in the parts bin ever since.

mtbr member
    I'm a WTB fan and have WTB saddles on all of my bikes, but my Kona came with a WTB valcon that was horrific for me. I've tried it on 4 or 5 different frames now, in a bunch of different setups, and it is just 100% no-go. It's been in the parts bin ever since.
    Yep, the Valcon. That's the one, at least according to Salsa's website (2013 Colossal 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles)

TenSpeed - will let you know. I'll measure it later and take a photo. It's all white with "Salsa" stitched onto it if that makes a difference. Happy to sell it for super cheap and ship to MI. I probably rode it for a week before I just gave up and stole the saddle off my mountain bike. I have a Specialized Ruby coming via FedEx today, as I would like to return my saddle to my mountain bike eventually.

mtbr member
    ^ it's a little funny, because I've seen two valcons donated to our co-op. We never get fancy saddles but those showed up and I'm ready to donate a third (I've been keeping it as an emergency-saddle, but will probably purge it eventually)

No commute for me today: 5 day weekend! Nice 3 hour ride on the hardtail on some trails that I've never made the trek to before.

Moderator Moderator
    Beautiful at my house this a.m., sunny and clear, but quickly descended into a cold damp fog that lasted the rest of the way to work. The kind of fog where you can't see some of the traffic lights unless you know where they are. Kept the Dinotte super blinky on "stop right there" and arrived safely.

Took off from work an hour early, rode home, walked the dog and played frisbee, and then left him home for a group night ride and then a bonfire - he is not ready for that! Tomorrow night is ROCKFIRE ? The Elemental Experience @ Millstone Hill, and ironically, my assignment is "parking", but I guess I do have experience telling cars "where to go". Looking forward to seeing the new rock carvings, the gigantoric fires on the grout piles (junk granite piles), and seeing the molten metal pour and other performances.

I'd rather be on my bike
    It was alright. I put my Aerospoke on the front just for kicks and decided to ride to work like that. Well, I immediately noticed a difference. That wheel is heavy, and it is heavy enough to notice when you pick the bike up, and when you are riding it. No worries, was gonna yank it back off when I got home. Well, I get out to my bike this evening, and I check things over, and the skewer was fairly loose. I think that there might have been an attempted theft to be honest. The lock was not in the same position that it was when I left the bike, but I didn't think much of it. Only when I got ready to ride did I notice the wheel wobble slightly when I picked it up. Then I looked things over to make sure that everything was still tight like the seatpost/handlebars, etc. I will have to check with the security at work and see if they can go back and look over their surveillance footage.

On the ride home, cutting through the neighborhood that I always do, someone was approaching with their brights on. They were really bright, and so bright that I knew that they were brights, not like the lights you see and you aren't sure if those are the brights or not. In other words, I couldn't see sh*t. I waited a few seconds for them to kick them down to regulars, but they didn't. OK, hit em with the Lumina 700 on the brightest setting and swivel it directly over towards their car. They quickly cut over to their regular lights. I have never had to do that before, but knowing that it is an option for me now makes me smile. Usually the brightest setting is reserved for the MUP since the that is the darkest part of the ride