Page 281 of 590 FirstFirst ... 181 231 271 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 291 331 381 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 14734
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    not so great. put on a pair of on one fleegle sweep bars, so i was just getting used to the different controls, coming from a flat par. came through a puddle at about 20 mph while in a gradual turn and there was apparently some thick mud at the bottom. tires broke loose and i ate it hard. scraped up the entire left side of my body and bounced my head off the concrete, cracked my specialized s3 helmet and did something to my front derailer where it won't click to stay onto the large chainring now. scraped the heck out of my bike too. it ain't pretty no more, and neither am i.

i did get to ride away though, bloodied and with a headache, but it could have been worse.

Gumnut Peddler
    Nabbed a new PR on Strava on the way into work. That app is seriously addictive at trying to beat ones self, and others

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Went out yesterday to fix the tire that had gone flat at work and sure enough, the rear is flat too! Both were wrinkled and leaked when I added air, kind of disheartening. Repatched them both and they held air beautifully through the night. Note to self: don't buy Slime sticker patches again.
    Repatch? I`ve never managed to get a leaky patch off in order to do that. Maybe its an advantage of the Slime self stickers? When you went out to check on the bike, was it in the sun, like Bedwards mentioned? I never heard of that problem before, but it sounds plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by apheod View Post
    not so great. put on a pair of on one fleegle sweep bars, so i was just getting used to the different controls, coming from a flat par. came through a puddle at about 20 mph while in a gradual turn and there was apparently some thick mud at the bottom. tires broke loose and i ate it hard. scraped up the entire left side of my body and bounced my head off the concrete, cracked my specialized s3 helmet and did something to my front derailer where it won't click to stay onto the large chainring now. scraped the heck out of my bike too. it ain't pretty no more, and neither am i.

i did get to ride away though, bloodied and with a headache, but it could have been worse.
    OOOW! Dang, that does sound like a big $hit sandwich! So, did you make it out of the puddle before you went down, or did you go submarining while you were at it? Hope you get a speedy recovery, at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apheod View Post

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the scars to prove it. Welcome to the club. Heal up soon, but riding away after that, bloodied and bone-sore but head unbowed? AWESOME
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

A God Without A Name
    I ride the same 7 mile round trip 6 days a week...
    generally it goes as such, starting sunday... volunteer,work, work and volunteer, work, work and volunteer, work, be a vegetable saturday.

and all in the same few blocks of Ogden. I'm getting tired of my commute routine. So instead of the fast route on main streets I've started wandering the neighborhoods.

the level of adventure that can bring varies.

Does anyone else know how to add a bit of spice to their commutes?

local trails rider
    It wasn't raining. Actually, the sky was blue on the way home. But the streets and paths were all wet. I rode pretty easy, so that my alleged fenders would help a bit. It is just humid and cool enough that the ground takes forever to dry after a little rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'm getting tired of my commute routine. So instead of the fast route on main streets I've started wandering the neighborhoods.

Depends on what is out there. I like to take a relatively straight route going out, but coming back I sometimes take a much longer route through some park paths, a road that has few intersections, or even short pieces of singletrack.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Repatch? I`ve never managed to get a leaky patch off in order to do that. Maybe its an advantage of the Slime self stickers? When you went out to check on the bike, was it in the sun, like Bedwards mentioned? I never heard of that problem before, but it sounds plausible.

OOOW! Dang, that does sound like a big $hit sandwich! So, did you make it out of the puddle before you went down, or did you go submarining while you were at it? Hope you get a speedy recovery, at least.
    yeah, i didn't get wet at least. puddle was only covering maybe 5 feet of the paved bike path, it was at a low point. sure didn't look like the type of puddle that would have mud at the bottom.

i'm definitely pretty sore today. may have a bit of whiplash, my neck on the opposite side of the impact is pretty inflamed. elbow, knee, and ankle are still trickling blood. worst part is i have a nice half sleeve tattoo that got badly scraped, i'm hoping it didn't screw up the ink.

i'm just glad it was on that side, i was carrying on the other side. flesh heals, $1000 dollar pistols and $200 dollar elephant hide holsters dont!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Repatch? I`ve never managed to get a leaky patch off in order to do that. Maybe its an advantage of the Slime self stickers? When you went out to check on the bike, was it in the sun, like Bedwards mentioned? I never heard of that problem before...
    I was able to just peel them off. Not cool. And yes, the bike is in the sun all day, so I'm guessing too that is the crux of the issue. Maybe will start bring it up to the office.

mtbr member
    My commute from Amsterdam to Utrecht on Sports Tracker
    38 km, 25 km/h average. Bike used.

Nice and sunny, about 14 degrees celcius at the depart, 18 on arrival.
    I'll try to bring my camera next time to shoot some pictures.
    Ride more!

weirdo
    So instead of the fast route on main streets I've started wandering the neighborhoods.
    For some reason, I haven`t ever gotten bored with mine, but if I did I`d probably do just what you`re doing- try different routes. Or do it Maine style and ride a different bike each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    I was able to just peel them off. Not cool. And yes, the bike is in the sun all day, so I'm guessing too that is the crux of the issue. Maybe will start bring it up to the office.
    I hope that helps. Otherwise, try regular glue-on patches. A few people claim that the Lezeyne self adhesive patches work well, but they`re expensive and tough to find. I think everybody who`se ever tried the Slime ones has been disappointed, I guess Park and Topeak fall in the middle.

My wife is in Mexico for the whole month, so I`m livin it up. Doing 90% my grocery shopping at the take and bake pizza place, stopped putting away helmet, bags, and other stuff that I know I`ll be using again the next day, and the best treat of all, removed a bucket full of beauty products from the shower so there`s only one bottle of shampoo and one bar of soap in the there! It`s awesome taking a shower without knocking a dozen plastic bottles onto the floor every time I turn around

One more vacation comming up for me this year, too. Mostly I`ll be bumming around the desert and car camping with a local bike buddy, but for a couple days we`re going to check out the human powered vehicle speed trials in Battle Mountain- hope we get to see a new worlds record. The current record is 82 point something for men and almost 76 MPH for women. That`s some impressive pedalling!

The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

Gumnut Peddler
    8th place on a KOM on the way home today. Super impressed, especially when competing against all the roadies and their carbon fiber rides

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I ride the same 7 mile round trip 6 days a week...
    generally it goes as such, starting sunday... volunteer,work, work and volunteer, work, work and volunteer, work, be a vegetable saturday.

and all in the same few blocks of Ogden. I'm getting tired of my commute routine. So instead of the fast route on main streets I've started wandering the neighborhoods.

With a 3 1/2 mile one way trip you've got a lot of flexibility to change it up I would think. Turn the opposite direction when you leave your house and take the long way some days.

Moderator Moderator
    Soggy this morning, the remnants of Isaac have arrived but it has wound down and only about 2 of rain is expected. A good drenching but nothing disastrous. It was cool enough (55F) for the good rain jacket, I only got a little sweaty on the 2 mile hill, but not uncomfortably so.

Sounds like two fun vacations, Rodar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Was It an FSA crankset?
    Shimano octalink

I Ride for Donuts
    I have complaned about how horrible Slime 'skab' sticker patches are in this very thread, I think. They are awful. They can't take the deflate/re-inflate thing, because they don't stretch enough to 'move' with the tube as it shrinks and expands. You want LEZYNE brand glueless patches. Hear me now believe me later....

I had a nice 3 day... back in the saddle this morning, and it's definitely getting colder. I've been enjoying the constant stream of dust-caked cars/trucks/ancient motorhomes/hippy-mobiles coming back out of the desert from Burning Man... Rodar is probably getting the influx too. I swear every vehicle has bikes attached to it... everything from high end mountian bikes to tall bikes to beach cruisers completely covered in feathers and fur... hard to tell much detail because they're all so covered in playa dust that they look like ghost bikes... Also, this entire corner of the United States smells slightly of B.O. for the day or two following 'The Burn'. I'm all for tolerance, but it would be fine if they didn't stick around... just keep moving through town, nothing to see here...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ... and my ride back home
    Ride more!

Bicycle Addict
    Today was quite exciting, in a bad way. First, I was dropping my daughter off at her school and we saw a kid get clotheslined by a car door. We were told to walk our bikes when we get to the sidewalk in front of the school, now we know why. The kid in the car didn't look before opening the door and totally took the other kid out. The worst part was that the kid on the bike, and his brother weren't even wearing helmets. Then the way to my class I saw a car run a stop sign, and later on a car pulled out in front of me and again a motorcycle. Keep your eyes peeled people. Complacency is our worst enemy. STAY ALERT, STAY ALIVE!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Natural Born Killer
    My morning commute is mostly in the dark now. I was climbing the hill leaving my home town riding in the 8 foot wide shoulder and was almost hit by a salmon-ing bike rider. He looked pretty dazed and confused as I passed screaming "YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD" Of course he had no lights or reflectors, in the dark, in heavy traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Keep watching the "what did someone yell at you" thread, maybe he'll show up to complain about you, and you can set him straight
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Digital Toast
    Great ride this morning. Keep hearing the "click, click" of my tires picking up thorns but my prevention system must be working.(lots of Slime) I also snapped this at the bike rack this morning. Had to photoshop some letters but I think I want a large one for my wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Great picture Zeroack, really diggin' it.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Natural Born Killer
    Zeroack, great picture! Bought my oldest daughter one of those cable locks for her old Huffy at college. I set it up for her and the only 4 letter word I could think of on short notice with the letters available was PIMP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Took a detour on the way home for the hell of it.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice roo-te!

Bicycle Addict
    Do you live near a zoo?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing