Page 279 of 593 FirstFirst ... 179 229 269 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 289 329 379 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 14812
    Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice, sounds like a great alternate route! Stay safe!

I pedaled to the polls after work and I guess it was worthwhile, the only real contested race was for VT attorney general, and right now less than 400 votes separate the 2 candidates. Got a killer "parking" spot too.

I Ride for Donuts
    38*F This morning at the weather station I ride by. It hurt! I refuse to go to long sleeves in August, so this was a shorts/short sleeves record. Those moisture-wicking T shirts don't do much to cut the wind. There is always the first day when I start thinking about how much colder it's going to get...and this was it. Still 'feeling the burn' as my arms warm up...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ Yeah, 45 here and I was freezing. I wore a windbreaker but I should have been wearing a "coldbreaker". 3 hours later and my feet still feel chilly.

I'm on track for a 5 bikes in 5 days week.

Bicycle Radical
    The commute yesterday was solid. Somehow, I wasn't pushing hard but made it home just as fast on other days. Weird, eh?
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I do that sometimes. I'll think "OK, I'm just going to relax and enjoy the ride, no pushing"... then I get home a minute or 2 faster than the last time I really pushed it. I don't know if I should be pissed or happy.

Bicycle Addict
    No commute for the kid today, but since I have morning classes I'll be riding to school. I'm going to try flat pedals.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

passed out in your garden
    my commute today was relaxed, snapped a few shots just for this thread

picture tells a thousand words

2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Moderator Moderator
    Brisk here this morning too, 44F, I was glad of the windbreaker at the start but was down to shortsleeves by the 2nd (uphill) half. Took these pics after work yesterday, when I detoured to vote. The first building is entirely sided in different colors of slate. The 2nd, massive one was originally at the 1939 World’s Fair in NYC and was dismantled afterwards and brought to VT for use as a granite shed. Both were falling into disrepair but someone has been rehabbing them, but I don’t know what his plans are.

^^Nice pics CMG, sure is green in that last one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-slatesidedp8282128.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

weirdo
    I dunno what the temp was on my way home, but a half hour after arriving I made out checks for a few bills and had a tough time writing because my fingers were still numb. What a bunch of weenies we`ve become!

Xplorer, does the slate come from New England too? I don`t think I`ve ever seen it used as siding before. It must be quite a job to hang.

Got paced by a scraggly coyote for a few seconds this morning. It was weird- he just loped along in the ditch off my side of the road, but through all the bushes and weeds, not like when they don`t want to get OFF of a smooth and well lit road.

Nice pics again, CMG. BTW, I meant to commend you on the one you posted the other day with the neat halo effect, but it slipped my mind.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Is that the poison ivy trail?

Digital Toast
    Helped my brother move from Salt Lake, Utah to Ann Arbor, Michigan the last four days so I'd been off the bike. It was good to pedaling a bike again and not driving a Uhaul.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ...Xplorer, does the slate come from New England too? I don`t think I`ve ever seen it used as siding before. It must be quite a job to hang.

Yeah, slate was much more commonly used for roofing around here than siding, not sure how they do the siding. There are some smaller slate quarries locally, but the bigger ones are in an area they call “slate valley” along the VT/NY border. I once went down for a truckload of scraps to use for landscaping, stuff that didn’t make the grade for flooring etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It was almost 38 on my commute too. Celcius. Looking forward to winter when it drops down into those bone chilling 50F commutes.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Is that the poison ivy trail?
    trust me, it makes you stay on the trail
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We have not had measureable precipitation here in the Seattle area for 37 straight days. It's been great. But I have this little alarm going off inside my head that says winter and the rains are sure to be here soon. Despite the lack of rain in the forecast for the remainder of this week, I found myself installing the fenders back on my commuter last night just so I would stop worrying about getting caught out with them off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    trust me, it makes you stay on the trail
    Just don't have a flat shortly after rolling over some. The oil on the tire will get you. Bad spot for a wreck, for sure. I get itchy getting that close to it and my fingers swell just from the little oil in the air.

BrianMc

Ride Everything
    Grateful for the afternoon cloud cover:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Stupid motorcycle parked next to the bike racks and blocked all three at my field office.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    But I have this little alarm going off inside my head that says winter and the rains are sure to be here soon.
    Not wishing up more snow like last winter?

Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Stupid motorcycle parked next to the bike racks and blocked all three at my field office.
    I`d have been tempted to throw a lock and cable around something.

How`s the storm situation, Nate?
    And what happened to our New Orleans crew? There were a t least two of them, but I haven`t heard anything for a long time.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Valve core removers are nice for this situation

(You can even reinstall it if you feel so inclined)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My commute was a 105 degree, mosquito infested humid trip through hell. Phoenix is no fun in monsoon season :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm pretty sure I was flipped the bird this morning for no reason by a commercial van driver in the other lane. Uh...OK. I also saw a kids bike on the side of the road. From where I was, I couldn't tell if the bike had been hit or not. The front tire was separated from the rim. I hope some kid had a flat and just decided to leave the bike there.

Making due...
    Back in the saddle again after battling a pesky sinus infection.

School started back up last week and I'm going to have to take an even longer route to avoid the "youths" and crazy drivers around the High School in my neighborhood. It's not real fun dealing with buses, minivans, and distracted teen drivers.

The modified route should make my commute more pleasant however.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

I Ride for Donuts
    This picture looked way cooler through my sunglasses. Still pretty cool I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DuManchu View Post
    Back in the saddle again after battling a pesky sinus infection.

School started back up last week and I'm going to have to take an even longer route to avoid the "youths" and crazy drivers around the High School in my neighborhood. It's not real fun dealing with buses, minivans, and distracted teen drivers.

The modified route should make my commute more pleasant however.
    Usual rule of thumb keep riding if the infection is above the neck.....course allergies are different..

Good pick on the new route.