Page 279 of 429 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 13,901 to 13,950 of 21416
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    They came stock on the bike - Clement LLG 700c x 28mm. I just ordered some Gatorskins to replace them, actually. I don't want to deal with flats if I can help it!
    Good call on the Gatorskins. I've been running them on both my road and commuter bikes for 2 years now, probably a total of 5000 miles or so, and I've only had one flat. Before that, I don't think I ever went more than 1000 miles without a flat.

Moderator Moderator
    Woohoo, congrats Bedwards, that is an excellent finish.

Nice ride in this morning, except for one car that just had to squeeze by me to try to pass a tractor trailer on the right, and the people who raced past just before the roundabout so I had to wait in line behind them Ė Iím sure they would have loved it if I pedaled past them back to my proper place in line.

MTB ride yesterday started out good, but after 5 miles of angelic behavior, my dog saw 2 deer and it was off to the races. He got a half mile away (on the dog tracker GPS) and by the time I caught up with him he had decided to head back to the car, where he was laying in the shade waiting for me. I was not impressed with him running off, but I have to admit he has a really good sense of direction, as he returned to the lot on trails he had never been on, and there are dozens of intersecting trails in that area. Here he is with my new bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1040152-small-2-1024x768-1024x768-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    MTB ride yesterday started out good, but after 5 miles of angelic behavior, my dog saw 2 deer and it was off to the races. He got a half mile away (on the dog tracker GPS) and by the time I caught up with him he had decided to head back to the car, where he was laying in the shade waiting for me. I was not impressed with him running off, but I have to admit he has a really good sense of direction, as he returned to the lot on trails he had never been on, and there are dozens of intersecting trails in that area. Here he is with my new bike.
    I love the orange frame. I love orange in general. I'm a little jealous.

What kind of GPS do you have for the dog? I've been interested in getting one. I have an e-collar that I've been working on training my dog with for recall, but if the battery ever ran out or she got out of range, I'd be SOL. She's a great dog and I have no doubt she'd come looking for me, but if she got lost I'd be devastated.

mtbr member
    Oh, I am glad to hear of the good review of the Gatorskins, Straz. I haven't had a flat since I bought my mini-pump last year (knock on wood), and I'd like to keep it that way!

Mtbx, I LOVE your new bike! The orange/blue combo is so pretty. What saddle do you have on there?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Thanks! I am still getting to know it but it is super comfy and makes some stuff easy. It was supposed to come with a smaller chainring, but didnít, so they said try it as is and let us know. Ordered the smaller chainring yesterday.

The dog GPS is a Garmin Astro, wicked expensive. I attempted to justify it by the fact that I needed a new bike GPS at the time anyway. I have the Garmin Delta electronic training collar also, because with the GPS one you can only track, not train. Yesterday I was too slow or too soft, I got a yelp out of him, but he kept going.

mtbr member
    ^^ Thanks! I am still getting to know it but it is super comfy and makes some stuff easy. It was supposed to come with a smaller chainring, but didnít, so they said try it as is and let us know. Ordered the smaller chainring yesterday.

The dog GPS is a Garmin Astro, wicked expensive. I attempted to justify it by the fact that I needed a new bike GPS at the time anyway. I have the Garmin Delta electronic training collar also, because with the GPS one you can only track, not train. Yesterday I was too slow or too soft, I got a yelp out of him, but he kept going.
    I've been there. I have an Einstein collar. The other day, my dog took off into the street when a guy who always walks his dog around the neighborhood and always gives my dog a treat when he sees her walked by. She didn't respond to the quick correction, so she got the constant correction for a good 10 seconds, she didn't respond. I forgot how to boost it because I hadn't ever done it. I wish I remembered, that would have gotten her attention. I hate to do that, but when it comes to her safety, I will. I have the normal level low enough (12/100) that I can do it to myself no problem. I actually always shock my arm to make sure it's working.

That Garmin unit looks really nice! I couldn't justify the price but if I spent a lot more time in the woods I would definitely get it.

CB of the East
    Congrats on the new full squish! Looks very nice and matched the pup's wardrobe to boot.

mtbr member
    Very Chic, Mtbxplorer: Orange is the new black.

Good one Bedwards!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Best commute of the year so far. When I left, it didn't seem that warm, just a nice sunny 76F. Was making really good time, like I mean really good time, much faster than I thought. I am just loving the fixed gear now that I am used to it. So I have this app on my phone now, really nice app. It announces the time for me for a designated period. I leave for work at 2PM. At 2:15, 2:30 and 2:45, it announces the time once for me, just so I know. Rolled out the door, and before I even hit the street, it was 2PM on the nose. I took off and rode what seemed a fairly normal pace. Get down to the campus, and it wasn't even 2:15 yet. What the? That is like halfway. OK, keep rolling, make some lights, hit some reds. I get close to work, probably about 3/4 of a mile. Still haven't heard the 2:30 chime, so I just hammer it down. Get to work, in the parking ramp, at the bike rack. Take my phone out. It is 2:28. Holy hell. That is my fastest ride in ever. 8.51 miles in 28 minutes, with some stop signs, some red lights, dodging a little traffic, and a bit of a longer route in a neighborhood to avoid a pothole laden street. Had I kept on going straight, I think I could have made it in about 26 minutes or so.

I want to try to beat it tomorrow, but my legs are just spent. In learning how to slow down and do some braking with my legs, I am really wearing them down. Supposed to be a chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow. If it looks clear at 2PM, I am rolling out but just at a normal pace.

On a side note - I need to stop shaking my head in disbelief at people as I pass them while they are riding on the sidewalk without helmets on.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 4035/6000

Moderator Moderator

Mtbx, I LOVE your new bike! The orange/blue combo is so pretty. What saddle do you have on there?
    Thanks! The saddle is a Specialized ARIEL EXPERT SADDLE WMN WHT 130 that I got in the Specialized.com outlet for $70 back in March. I previously had the Ariel with steel rails and broke it, so I was psyched to try this one with Ti rails for almost half off. I had always used the medium width, but this narrow one seems just as comfy to me so far.

mtbr member
    Man, I haven't been on here in some time. This mornings commute was great. Pushed myself harder than usual, with the goal of dropping that last 30 pounds and gaining some great legs. I have a ride planned in December to go from the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic Ocean across the Old Florida Cracker Trail. Not too many can say they've pedaled from coast to coast, and I want to be one of them.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Thanks! The saddle is a Specialized ARIEL EXPERT SADDLE WMN WHT 130 that I got in the Specialized.com outlet for $70 back in March. I previously had the Ariel with steel rails and broke it, so I was psyched to try this one with Ti rails for almost half off. I had always used the medium width, but this narrow one seems just as comfy to me so far.
    I thought it looked familiar! I have the same one. And it's funny because I picked it up after I broke a different one.

mtbr member
    I rode into work today, since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. My goal is ride 2x a week for now, to try to ease my body back into this post-surgery. Hopefully I'll be doing 3-4 times a week later in the summer. Healing takes too darn long.

mtbr member
    I rode into work today, since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. My goal is ride 2x a week for now, to try to ease my body back into this post-surgery. Hopefully I'll be doing 3-4 times a week later in the summer. Healing takes too darn long.
    Once you start riding twice a week, you'll feel bad on the days you drive. That's how it started for me, now if I drive more than once every couple weeks I feel lazy!

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ this. Rain forecasted with thunderstorms for the rest of the week after tomorrow. I almost dread driving to work, and by no means do I have a car that anyone would dread driving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    ^ this. Rain forecasted with thunderstorms for the rest of the week after tomorrow. I almost dread driving to work, and by no means do I have a car that anyone would dread driving.
    I need to ask. What kind of car do you drive?

I'd rather be on my bike

6 speed manual, 5 liter 302 cubic inch with Flowmaster Outlaw axle back exhaust, JBA X pipe, and 420hp out of the box.

mtbr member
    Ride in was a bit damp this AM, but more importantly, painful. On Saturday I volunteered to work timing at the top of a mountain for a mountain running race. 3500 foot elevation gain in 3 miles. Going up wasn't too bad. Coming back down destroyed me and showed me just how crappy of shape I am in. Didn't come in to work yesterday because I was so sore. Got out for the Sprockidz mountain bike coaching I do on Mondays, and was able to ride in this morning, but sore, sore, sore. And forget about stairs...

mtbr member
    6 speed manual, 5 liter 302 cubic inch with Flowmaster Outlaw axle back exhaust, JBA X pipe, and 420hp out of the box.
    Nice! I admit, if I drove that, I would probably ride to work a bit less!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Going up wasn't too bad. Coming back down destroyed me and showed me just how crappy of shape I am in. Didn't come in to work yesterday because I was so sore.
    Classic bike muscle imbalance....gotta do squats and lunges...do the squats slow as you descend and then a quicker rise....

Pretty soon you won't have any glutes if all you do is ride.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Nice! I admit, if I drove that, I would probably ride to work a bit less!
    Quite the opposite, when your fun car gets 18MPG you need to ride more often. I use to have an RX-8, fun car, crappy mileage for a car so light. Now I drive a Chevy Sonic and get over 42MPG. I'll admit, I loved that RX-8. Everybody should have a fun car at some point in their life.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Classic bike muscle imbalance....
    I thought you were talking about the Mustang. No offense TenSpeed

Today I took the nearly zero emission vehicle, my Cross Check. I did eat a lot of onions on my sausage last night so there could have been some trace emissions.

mtbr member
    Classic bike muscle imbalance....gotta do squats and lunges...do the squats slow as you descend and then a quicker rise....

Pretty soon you won't have any glutes if all you do is ride.
    All I'm doing these days in PT is working on strengthening my glutes. Lunges are good if you're doing them properly. Glutes are super important in running, but I would also argue that a 3500 foot downhill in 3 miles would make almost any normal runner hurt as well. That's some serious pounding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Quite the opposite, when your fun car gets 18MPG you need to ride more often. I use to have an RX-8, fun car, crappy mileage for a car so light. Now I drive a Chevy Sonic and get over 42MPG. I'll admit, I loved that RX-8. Everybody should have a fun car at some point in their life.
    My previous vehicle was a Wrangler Unlimited. I got between 15 and 17mpg, so I can relate! It wasn't fun in a fast way, but it was certainly fun in a top down and doors off kind of way.

mtbr member
    So i got up this morning to a flat front. Eh no biggy I havent put anything in the tubes yet anyway. Pulled the tire, fixed it , slime the tube, cussed at the presta valve a bit to help it go back into place. Should i do the back too? Naw what are the chances. Head off to work.

Leave my office and what do i see....
    Name:  10366014_860093634003997_1527468390640708073_n.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  48.5 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    So i got up this morning to a flat front. Eh no biggy I havent put anything in the tubes yet anyway. Pulled the tire, fixed it , slime the tube, cussed at the presta valve a bit to help it go back into place. Should i do the back too? Naw what are the chances. Head off to work.

Leave my office and what do i see....
    Murphy is a bastard. So they're set up tubeless? Or did you put slime in the tubes?

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Headwinds tore me up on the ride home. Gusts up to 30 mph with this evening storm rolling in. But man, the Cannondale was fast. Finally got my drop bar angle dialed in just right, so that no matter where my hands are, I'm comfy.

Got buzzed a little too close by a teenager who was yapping away on his phone. Pulled up to him at the light and asked him to respect Florida's three foot law, to which he responded he never even saw me. I've got two lights flashing on my rear to totaling 240 lumens and you never saw me? Schools out for summer, I suppose.

Attached a visor to my Specialized Echelon II road helmet with some double sided foam tape and plasti dipped it matte black with reflective bits in the back. Digging it a lot, and the wife says that it's much less "old man" than the fluorescent yellow that it was prior.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hot, hot, hot. Too hot too early in Vegas. About 107-08F for ride home with a 20 mph headwind. Just dropped my head and peddled while thinking happy thoughts. Nothing else to do.

Moderator Moderator
    Hang in there and be safe, Vegas! Can you stop anywhere for AC if overheated, the way we can stop for a cocoa in winter sometimes?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Fast!!! Ride in wasn't since I stopped at the shop and picked up some Fizik bar tape/gel which I will throw on my bullhorns tomorrow. Drenched in sweat when I got to work, and worried most of the day that I stunk. Got cleaned up but I still felt like I smelled.

The ride home, that was the crazy part. 60% chance of thunderstorms when I left. It had drizzled a little bit, but the roads were pretty dry. Checked the NOAA website, and it wasn't pretty. I seemed to have this window of time to get home before the storms came. Opened it up and let it rip.

Left the rack at work at 11:34PM. Pulled up to my door at 12:05. Almost beat my ride in yesterday, almost. Took a slightly different route and I think that cost me the extra time. Actually passed my co-worker in her car by timing a light just right and flew by her. She caught me at the next light and was laughing because she said I was hauling ass when I went by. She wished me well and told me to ride fast and safe, and that is what I did.

Put the flat bar on this morning before I left, with the OURY lock on grips. Feels like a totally different bike. Handling is so much better, but when I climb on the pedals after stopping, I cannot get the leverage that I do with the bullhorns. Off a light, it feels like a turd. With the bullhorns I can just crank the hell out of the pedals and get going so much faster.

Listening to the rain right now. Had a snack on the couch with the dog, watching YouTube videos on how to properly wrap handlebars. I have Wednesday off, and it is supposed to rain. Meeting a guy to potentially sell my TriCross, and I will be working on both bikes for most of the day. That is how you spend a day off.

mtbr member
    Ride home yesterday ended up being a race to beat a downpour. When I turned into my neighborhood the rain went from a sprinkle to steady, then about 1 minute after I went inside the sky just opened up. Glad I beat it! I flew home, potentially the fastest commute home of the year.

This morning was tough. My 3 week old son was up half the night screaming. He just wanted to be held by my wife. I think he was gassy, he let out some farts that would put grown men to shame. Long story short, I'm exhausted and it's surprising that I rode in today instead of giving in to the comforts of driving.

CB of the East
    I took the long way in this morning. Beautiful day for a ride. I even had enough time to snap a few pics.
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration
    I want to go out and ride some more.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. Cool, but generally dry. Legs are still dead, but getting better. Getting better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I took the long way in this morning. Beautiful day for a ride. I even had enough time to snap a few pics.
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration
    I want to go out and ride some more.
    Looks like a beautiful day to ride up there!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Tried to + rep you Straz for beating the storm but apparently I need to spread it around more. Looks like you and I had similar days, minus the 3 week old fart machine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hang in there and be safe, Vegas! Can you stop anywhere for AC if overheated, the way we can stop for a cocoa in winter sometimes?
    A couple places to stop at for first mile and last half mile. The three miles in between are industrial and residential. But with only 4.4 mile ride home, I think I will be alright with a hat and some water. Probably just uncomfortable more than anything. And a steady blow dryer wind is just the icing on the cake.

Tigers love pepper...
    New commuter (1 month)... was proud of myself as I rode in Monday after partying a little too much at a reception Sunday night. Was really thinking I'd make an excuse to drive, but didn't. Had a big windstorm Sunday night as well, was dodging tree branches everywhere!

Have been tracking my days and am averaging about 4 days a week. Always seems to be something that comes up at least once a week that keeps me from riding everyday. Usually Fridays are the toughest because I don't have access to a work vehicle so if I know I need to go to our other offices I just end up driving. This Friday is already looking difficult as I need to go to a meeting at another office first thing in the AM and I have to take my laptop, etc.... I can squeeze it in my backpack though, I think I'm gonna try and make it work somehow.

Was surprised to find I hadn't put gas in my truck in over two weeks the other day. And I only put gas in since we were heading out of town to go camping. Pretty sure my $100 commuter bike has already paid for itself!

mtbr member
    Got caught in heavy rain yesterday on the way home, and honestly that was preferable to heading home after a big rain, and knowing that the trails aren't rideable. I'm thinking I should just put my mountainbikes away during June, since the chances of actually getting to hit the trails are basically zero.

Chilly and foggy this morning. Crossing the bridge that I ride across every morning I got weirdly disoriented because I couldn't see the river. There was a second where I was thinking "How long have I been on here? Is this the beginning of the bridge, or the end? Am I coming or going?" Very weird feeling.

Ordered a woodchipper bar yesterday. After 9 months with the Midge I've decided that I really like having one of my bikes setup with dirtdrop bars, and after scouring Guitar Ted's various writings on the subject I think the woodchipper should be a bit of an improvement over my current setup. And I've haven't bought any fun bike stuff in awhile, so why not.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

Ordered a woodchipper bar yesterday. After 9 months with the Midge I've decided that I really like having one of my bikes setup with dirtdrop bars, and after scouring Guitar Ted's various writings on the subject I think the woodchipper should be a bit of an improvement over my current setup. And I've haven't bought any fun bike stuff in awhile, so why not.
    So all the various bars etc....whcih works best for very steep uphill climbs....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    New commuter (1 month)... was proud of myself as I rode in Monday after partying a little too much at a reception Sunday night. Was really thinking I'd make an excuse to drive, but didn't. Had a big windstorm Sunday night as well, was dodging tree branches everywhere!

Have been tracking my days and am averaging about 4 days a week. Always seems to be something that comes up at least once a week that keeps me from riding everyday. Usually Fridays are the toughest because I don't have access to a work vehicle so if I know I need to go to our other offices I just end up driving. This Friday is already looking difficult as I need to go to a meeting at another office first thing in the AM and I have to take my laptop, etc.... I can squeeze it in my backpack though, I think I'm gonna try and make it work somehow.

Was surprised to find I hadn't put gas in my truck in over two weeks the other day. And I only put gas in since we were heading out of town to go camping. Pretty sure my $100 commuter bike has already paid for itself!
    Keep up the good work. There will always be days where a commute might not be the best option, or even possible. I am very lucky that with my job, and my hours, it allows me to commute every day. The weather is usually what holds me back.

mtbr member
    Tried to + rep you Straz for beating the storm but apparently I need to spread it around more. Looks like you and I had similar days, minus the 3 week old fart machine.
    Haha. Thanks anyway! I've gotten the message about spreading the reps around too....

mtbr member
    So all the various bars etc....whcih works best for very steep uphill climbs....
    Probably a wide bar with bar-ends? For pure climbing I'm not sure if there's anything more effective than the little ergon stubbies.

But the midge is fun too, because it gives you 5 climbing positions - drops, hooks, really in the hooks, hoods, and top. For a steep, technical climb where I've "rowing" the singlespeed I'm probably really far forward in the hooks. But for steep pavement the drops or the hoods work well.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    This mornings office view. You can do conference calls from just about anywhere!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lots of snapping turtles out in or just off the path, I presume laying eggs in a little hole in the ground. Constant fear of getting too close and one of them reflex-bites my tire in half or something. They seem pretty disinterested so far. The geese haven't set up shop on the trail this year, though, which I do appreciate.

Cut out about 90 minutes ahead of schedule today to fit the return trip in between storm clusters, and the storm hasn't even had the decency to show up at my house yet (2 hours after I was supposed to leave).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post

Keep up the good work. Soon youll find when you do drive to work youll HATE it lol.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Lots of snapping turtles out in or just off the path, I presume laying eggs in a little hole in the ground.
    Funny you should mention that.
    The Candid Cyclist: I Found a Turtle, Can I Keep Her?

mtbr member
    No rain yesterday, and nothing in the forecast today, and that means that today is hardtail day. Especially since it's supposed to rain again tomorrow, and probably most of next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Left for work a bit earlier than usual, decided to take the long route and get some extra miles in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    This mornings office view. You can do conference calls from just about anywhere!

Don't think i'd get much work done there. I'd be too busy just enjoying the feeling of sun on my face.

Good ride in this AM. The legs are still a bit leaden, but each day is a little bit better.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Ride home was even better! Hit up a few miles of single/double track to help decompress after a long work day!

Ride Everything
    Very NorCal-esque weather (grey skies, damp roads) this morning, so I broke out the Black Mountain for the commute. The trails should be total hero dirt for the ride home.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything