Page 278 of 421 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288328378 ... LastLast
Results 13,851 to 13,900 of 21011
    No one calls me Maurice.
    We only got 2" of rain last night and some smaller hail. It was enough to keep me from getting the requisite 4 hours of sleep, but not enough to interrupt the commute. We did see plenty of light rain/heavy mist this morning.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Today and tomorrow the local co-op is doing tune-ups at my office, and I'm one of the mechanics. We should have close to 36 bikes to work through over two lunchhours.

Nothing particularly interesting going on in terms of riding. Daily rain means the trails are randomly greasy, and the mosquitoes are out in full force. And tomorrow we should be getting some of blockphi's alaska weather, with a low in the mid 30s and high around 50F.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    counted ten bikes in our bike garage yesterday...

We have about 50 people in the office

mtbr member
    Lots of rain in the forecast here too. Got all suited up in my rain gear this morning then it didn't rain at all, I was soaked from sweat instead when I got to work.

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM as well. A lot more riders than usual due to the Bike to Work day thing. Only had two instances of people riding multiple-abreast, not paying attention, and not moving out of the way of oncoming traffic (me) until the last possible moment. Oh well, it's good that people are out there.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

`Nother nice video, CB. Except that I hate that song!
    Cake (the band)...love them or hate them, you have to admit... a LOT of people hate 'em!!

Good job having babies, getting badges, riding through floods, etc, etc, everybody. One more commute day here and I'll wrap up the year-of-no-driving-days. Feel free to send some of that rain to Nor-Cal.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Cake (the band)...love them or hate them, you have to admit... a LOT of people hate 'em!!
    Personally, I love them! Great video! How many people raced?

Bedwards Of The West
    Thanks. 54 total in 3 different divisions/race lengths. I was in the 19 mile race with 25 entries. Finished 3 minutes off of the podium for 6th overall/4th in age group. Nice to be up near the front. Scary/motivating up there. Some serious "shut up legs" moments during the climbs, knowing that those guys you passed are probably gaining ground. A few friends who I know are usualy faster than me were not far enough back to let me relax.

CB of the East
    ^^There's nothing like a race to get those competitive juices flowing. It's kind of a unique feeling. Pedal as hard as you can with out blowing up and don't look back because it doesn't matter if you are going your hardest. I'm gearing up for my first official full Tri this weekend.

Bedwards Of The West
    WooHoo good luck bedwards

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^There's nothing like a race to get those competitive juices flowing. It's kind of a unique feeling. Pedal as hard as you can with out blowing up and don't look back because it doesn't matter if you are going your hardest. I'm gearing up for my first official full Tri this weekend.
    Good luck! Where's the race?

CB of the East
    It's a sprint triathlon. 1/3 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 5K run. The bike section has some good hills. I did it as a relay last year and did great on the bike but I'm not sure how I'll do stringing them all together. There were 300 people last year. I'll report back.

Pirate Tri at Sebago Lake | tri-maine

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Good luck Bedwards and congrats Commuterboy in/on the races. Ironically, I had to drive today ro leave work early for a bike thing, I helped out and "raced" at the 1st Klunker classic race where I do trail work. Not being a racer or even real speed oriented rider, it made me realize how much I just cruise the trails normally, as "trying" to go fast was noticeably difficult, even on a 2-4 minute flat/downhill course. Most impressive were the true Klunkers with coaster brakes and the guy who braved it on a push scooter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^Good luck Bedwards and congrats Commuterboy in/on the races. Ironically, I had to drive today ro leave work early for a bike thing, I helped out and "raced" at the 1st Klunker classic race where I do trail work. Not being a racer or even real speed oriented rider, it made me realize how much I just cruise the trails normally, as "trying" to go fast was noticeably difficult, even on a 2-4 minute flat/downhill course. Most impressive were the true Klunkers with coaster brakes and the guy who braved it on a push scooter.
    Ah yes the infamous comfort zone...

I used to ride with a speedometer...so I had an objective reading I didn't push all the time but I made sure to push at least a couple times a week...

It has been several years since I had a measurement...and yes I fell into a comfort zone...as your fitness tapers so goes your comfort zone...the percieved effort just isn't good enough to keep me honest...

Recently got a heart rate monitor and map my ride....I use it maybe once or twice a week....just to cure the percieved effort problem...

Kinda fun actually but it sure burns through the phone battery.

I need to hold 150 plus heart rate to get any sort of training effect...

mtbr member
    Rainy morning today. Man, it feels good to take all the rain gear off when you're soaked with sweat underneath! I'll probably just get soaked on my ride home and not wear any rain gear, we'll see. Depends how warm it is. And, here's a new, completely unrelated to bikes picture of my son. I had to share it because it's so damn cute. My friend's a photographer and she took it last night:

How was your commute today?-jack-jenny-small.jpg

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-14351546034_922a2aa084_c.jpg

Things are back to normal today with many fewer cyclists out and about. I guess the teeming hordes can't handle the effort of riding bike a few miles without aid stations every couple of miles to give them free goodies. Beautiful weather for biking - 50 in the valley and 50 in town. Sunny. A bit hazy, though. One thing I'll never quite get used to in the summer in AK is watching the sun rise from the N/NE.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Good first bike ride in three weeks. Not too hot, not too windy. A lot of people in rural Panama ride their bikes, because they're really poor. Saw some old dude riding a rusty ten speed down the highway while carrying a propane tank on his shoulder... I don't know how he balanced that.

Moderator Moderator
    Saw a nice great blue heron on the commute this morning, as cars whizzed by oblivious to nature’s wonders. It was initially much closer, on a rock on my side of the river, but when I stopped to admire it, it flew to this dead tree down river and on the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-heron.jpg  

guy
    Got access to shower facilities a few blocks away so I will be attempting my first full commute from home instead of the half drive, half bike commute I have been doing this year. 6.8 miles each way will be increasing to 14 tomorrow!

Good luck on the tri bedwards. My wife and I are doing our first sprint triathlons at the end of this month.

Bedwards Of The West
    Welp, pulled it off... zero driving days for the 13/14 school year. A couple sick days and a couple vacation days in there, but the Jeep never hit the faculty parking lot. Also a low temp record of five below zero (F)... 'twas a good year. 10 mile route home to wrap things up here in a couple hours.

Then, a nap.

Hitting the lake Monday. Hopefully with no punk kids cussing at me. Catch you all on the flip side.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Welp, pulled it off... zero driving days for the 13/14 school year. A couple sick days and a couple vacation days in there, but the Jeep never hit the faculty parking lot. Also a low temp record of five below zero (F)... 'twas a good year. 10 mile route home to wrap things up here in a couple hours.

Then, a nap.

Hitting the lake Monday. Hopefully with no punk kids cussing at me. Catch you all on the flip side.
    Well done

The last two years for me have not been good because of ACL reconstruction...

But hopefully I'll be back from now on.

I especially like the nap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    MUP was flooded, but at least I got to ride the new fixed gear I put together!

Moderator Moderator

Then, a nap.

Congrats and have a good summer!

I rode in the Klunker Classic last night and was nearly demoralized by the faster time by the guy on a push scooter, but thankfully I realized that my class rode a different course. He won the no disc brakes, no suspension "classics" class. At the bottom, the scooter brakes had melted the plastic rims some on his smokin' run.

mtbr member
    Was getting in a 12 mile ride on the way home last night. Creeping up a steep grade in low granny I see what looks like three cats slithering around each other on top of a mailbox, with hugely disproprtionate eyes. I became more and more creeped out during the next 20 seconds as it appeared they were staring at me while moving about. I was nearly freaked out enough to turn around. Your kid's birthday party ended at 7pm, it's now 5am. WTF?

Serves me right for leaving the helmet light at home. The area I was in has strict laws to preserve the flora, so the houses sit well away from the street, trees provide a lot of coverage, and there are few to no street lamps. Even with a full moon, lights are a must.

Rabbits. Rabbits were everywhere.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Awesome ride in and home. Stopped at my buddies shop to see about a new rear brake for the fixie. Score, as they have one in stock, and it will be put on tomorrow morning. Supposed to be another beautiful day here Friday, and I am off, but I will be on the bike.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3262/6000

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bleh. Woke up feeling not so good, pulled it together while waiting for the family to get ready, rode with the kid to school and then on from there to work. Felt fantastic the whole ride. Now that I'm at work I'm back to feeling awful. Fortunately I came prepared with a bottle of pepto, but I have to be home in time for the bus and have no backup ride to call so I'm still a bit worried.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Bunnies and Goslings everywhere. Dang that nature anyway.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Hello! If anyone remembers me, I am back. Long story short: winter came, I'm a wuss in the cold, I had hip surgery this spring, was on crutches for 4 weeks, had to recover, bought a new bike, and finally I got to bike commute to work for the first time this year today!

15.7 miles into work and it was a beautiful June Wisconsin morning. I am just waiting for the plethora of baby bunnies to take over the bike path and cause me to slam on my breaks. The day is near.

New bike rode like a dream. I love steel.

How was your commute today?-10390557_10100505574736705_4649143015643994393_n.jpg

CB of the East
    Welcome back!

Nice easy ride in this morning with RollignRunner.

mtbr member
    Great ride in this morning. Temps were just about perfect for riding and the trails were clear of anyone else. Love it.

I haven't even had any close calls with cars lately. Not sure what's going on there, but I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Hello! If anyone remembers me, I am back. Long story short: winter came, I'm a wuss in the cold, I had hip surgery this spring, was on crutches for 4 weeks, had to recover, bought a new bike, and finally I got to bike commute to work for the first time this year today!

15.7 miles into work and it was a beautiful June Wisconsin morning. I am just waiting for the plethora of baby bunnies to take over the bike path and cause me to slam on my breaks. The day is near.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10390557_10100505574736705_4649143015643994393_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	899171

What bike? Where at in WI? I am in Southern WI and commute across the border to Gurnee.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    I'm in the Madison area with bike paths galore; I imagine your commute is a little different.

New bike is a 2013 Salsa Colossal 2.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Welcome back WiTrailRunner! Glad that you are liking your new ride, looks really nice.

mtbr member
    Been off the bike dealing with erratic Blood Pressure. Nice and low today (think I found the root cause), rode into the market. No wind!? A rarity here. Rolled fast for me by gearing and cadence but the iBike program was non-functional so no reading.

No incidents except this big smile.

weirdo
    Happy pedalling Trailrunner- have fun with the new bike.

Congrats to CB if he happens to check in (doubtful!). My county still has ONE MORE WEEK of school bus season, but I`m looking forward to seeing them all parked for a couple months.

Have a good race, Bedwards. BTW, how`s last year`s (shoulder?) injury doing? Back to 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Creeping up a steep grade in low granny I see what looks like three cats slithering around each other on top of a mailbox, with hugely disproprtionate eyes. I became more and more creeped out during the next 20 seconds as it appeared they were staring at me while moving about.

Rabbits. Rabbits were everywhere.
    Slithering cats???
    Wild. Did you ever figure out what it was, or still a mystery even to you?
    Recalculating....

No one calls me Maurice.
    Rode up to a three-car accident on my way home (only one serious injury) just as the fire department arrived. Normally I'm the first guy to dive in and help but I have to admit I was relieved to see the FD. Driver had face and neck lacerations and probably some spine/skull fractures so I'm good handing off to the guys with backboards.

Moderator Moderator
    My commute must be the Bermuda Triangle for wallets, I found my 3rd tonight, plus a credit card another time. Dropped it at the police station on the route, as I have learned that meeting up with people can be a PITA, plus many are not in the phone book anymore.

Nice to see people back here, back on the bike, and new here!

Straz, I'm not sure if that is the cutest dog photo or baby photo I have seen!

mtbr member
    May 2008

How was your commute today?

I haven't ridden in years due to a few shoulder surgeries but I decided I would start commuting work. Given that I have 2 bikes, one a HT & the other a FS I began rebuilding the HT to full time commuting. While it's being rebuilt I've been riding the FS. Even though I only work 5 miles away my legs are feeling the pain, along with my ass!

Bedwards Of The West
    Congrats to CB if he happens to check in (doubtful!).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Heating up in Vegas. Into the 110s next week. Too early for this. Made it through my first 100F+ week of the year. Already looking forward to the fall. Upside is that the bike is finally running silent again.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride into work today. Felt like one of my fastest times on the non geared bike since I started. Ride home was 72F and clear. Will have to talk to my co-worker when I get to work tomorrow to see how fast I was going, when I passed her in her car. I couldn't maintain the speed but I did manage to catch her, and pass her for a short while, until I got to a bit of an incline, and the speed limit went up, and then she left me. I want to say that it was at least in the mid 20 mph range, so I was pedaling pretty hard with my set up on the fixie. Thinking about taking the geared bike tomorrow and seeing if I can keep up with her.

I found an app for my phone that will announce the time for me, at designated times. I leave for work shortly before 2PM. I have it set to announce at 2:15, 2:30, and 2:45 so that I know what time it is without having to pull it out of the pouch on my messenger bag. This lets me know if I need to step it up, or can take my time a bit. It simply announces the time, that is it. I could set it up like an alarm clock as well, so I may use that instead of the default alarm. Will be giving this a shot tomorrow to see how it works.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Is the BB7 easier to keep in check? I was looking at some dual piston mechanical disc calipers but a set of BB7s appears to be *way* cheaper ($65 vs. $160). I'd love to wait for the Shimano mech/hydro brifters but at $700 for the set with the brakes I doubt I'd ever pony up for them.
    BB5's are crap, I would ditch them. You can only adjust one pad with BB5's so that pads wear unevenly and when the non-adjustable pad wears the only way to move it closer to the disc is to reset the caliper. Just crap.

With BB7's both pads are adjustable. I have a BB7 on the rear wheel of my commuter and I adjust it at least once a week by turning both pads in an equal amount until they start to rub and then back them off a click. The pads have to be regularly adjusted to maintain good braking power.

If the rotor is out of true and the sound drives you crazy you'll either have to true the rotor (it's not hard, google it) or get a new one.

On the front of my commuter I have a TRP HY/RD mechanically-actuated hydraulic disc brake and I like it. The pads self-center and self-adjust. Braking power is good. I think I paid $135 and for that you get the brake caliper, a set of pads and a rotor. I'm going to put one on the back of my commuter when I get some time.

mtbr member
    Realized the other day that I'm on my longest commuting streak ever. It'll be a month this week since I drove to work. I'm hoping to get through all of June without driving. I've been commuting on the bike more and more each year since 2011. This year is shaping up to be the best yet by far.
    Last edited by Straz85; 06-09-2014 at 06:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10390557_10100505574736705_4649143015643994393_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	899171
    Cool looking bike! Hey, what tires are those?

I'd rather be on my bike
    600 miles logged so far this year. Not too bad for me. Decided to ride the TriCross today since I hadn't ridden it in a while. I don't like it. I felt so out of touch with the bike, and not in control like I do on the fixed gear. All of my bad habits reappeared quickly, coasting, looking for an easier gear instead of just pedaling, etc. Will be back on the fixie for sure tomorrow.

Spoke to my co-worker. She said her speedometer was at about 24-25. That is pretty good, considering there was a slight incline, and I had one gear. Tried it again tonight, and kept up for a longer distance, but felt slower. Not too many drunks out on campus, so that was good. Pretty boring ride home honestly, and I am alright with that.

CB of the East
    Have a good race, Bedwards. BTW, how`s last year`s (shoulder?) injury doing? Back to 100%?
    I don't think I'm going to be perusing that pitching career. It crunches some when I move it certain ways but overall I think it's healed.

The Tri was a good success. My strong biking background put me at 58/241 and 4th in my age group. I have plenty of room to improve in the other 2 legs.

Even after racing to exhaustion yesterday my ride in was pretty peppy. Must be the nice weather.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Terrible.

Rained on. Cut a turn too hard the front wheel slipped from under me and I took a nasty fall, thumb is all swollen at work now, felt broken at first. Still made good time to get to work though.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Terrible.

Rained on. Cut a turn too hard the front wheel slipped from under me and I took a nasty fall, thumb is all swollen at work now, felt broken at first. Still made good time to get to work though.
    Ouch, that's rough. Hopefully it gets better as the day goes on. Any damage to the bike?

mtbr member
    Mine was nice and quiet. Im loving my new bike.

Name:  10414457_857228424290518_6816818175664252407_n.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  10447414_857228420957185_7982280155766855957_n.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  44.1 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Cool looking bike! Hey, what tires are those?
    They came stock on the bike - Clement LLG 700c x 28mm. I just ordered some Gatorskins to replace them, actually. I don't want to deal with flats if I can help it!

Congrats on the tri, bedwards! I can't swim for crap, so I'll never do one. I have dabbled in a duathlon from time to time though.