Page 274 of 593 FirstFirst ... 174 224 264 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 284 324 374 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,850 of 14813
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Scary experience on the way home last night...riding in the city, 15MPH, narrow street, I was not all the way but pretty far into the lane when a woman tries to pass me. She was so close to me that I just reached over and slammed my hand on the hood of her car to get her attention. Yes, she was blabbing on her cellphone. She jams on the brakes and I yell at her to give me some room. Grrr.
    Yikes! Glad you're OK. The cellphone/texting situation has really gotten out of hand. I don't know if they're running it nationwide, but there is a new ad on here with a guy with a traumatic brain injury - he can barely talk or do simple tasks -and he shows the text that changed his life forever: "where r". Pretty convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    My wife was busy over the weekend, so I went out on our standard Tahoe tandem route with my `bent buddy. That was about 30 flat miles and the only "extracurricular" riding I`ve done in two or three weeks. It was a lot different without Mrs Rodar- amazing how many overpriced pastries I managed to wolf down without getting the evil eye!
    That sounds fun! I'm making a blackberry pie tonight from my pickings on the last 2 commutes home! Yummy

A 'bent connection here recently.H.S. buddy of a friend died suddenly, and apparently made one 'bent and bought one (I know he had at least one still). He made other cool stuff like telescopes (can you really grind the glass yourself?), boats, and helped replace the mast on the Constitution (Old Ironsides, now a museum-ship in Boston harbor).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hey, you still haven`t said where you`re going! Are you going to camp, motel, stay with friends/relatives, a combo? Dirt content? Have a great trip!
    andale pues! :P
    this is going to be us.
    drop by, check us out, make fun of our unpreparedness, donate, whatever tickles your fancy!

Thunder Bay to Toronto ride for the United Way

is it strictly commuting? ermm.. no, not unless you consider road riding extremely long arduous distances through bad weather to get home as commuting.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Having a properly set clock, I was able to get up with enough time to commute via bike today. Perfect weather on the way to class, about 80*F, clouds blocking the sun, though 40-50% humidity. On the way back it got hot, it got up to 106F today, clouds moved, but at least humidity went down to 20%

Ride Everything
    Low 50's riding in, and low 90's riding home. Snapped this pic with 3-4 miles left to go:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Woodway: pounding on windows or roof is also effective. I am also amazed at how few drivers know where the right side of their vehicle is when they are paying attention! While not all jurisdictions mandate 3', that is clearly a reasoned definition of 'safe distance' so if I can kick or slap the vehicle is is *not* maintaining a safe distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    ... I got pulled over by the cops for riding through a crosswalk and turning onto the bikelane! Fun stuff!
    You were supposed to dismount to get to the bike lane? Cars drive through crosswalks on both sides of many intersections. I don't get it. More info please.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Dale duro, Byknuts!

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Lost my mirror on the way to work this morning. I got near the office and it was gone. I backtracked a couple miles and did not see it.
    It must be laying on the cellphone lady`s hood. Did you check there?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That sounds fun! I'm making a blackberry pie tonight from my pickings on the last 2 commutes home! Yummy

A 'bent connection here recently.H.S. buddy of a friend died suddenly, and apparently made one 'bent and bought one (I know he had at least one still). He made other cool stuff like telescopes (can you really grind the glass yourself?), boats, and helped replace the mast on the Constitution (Old Ironsides, now a museum-ship in Boston harbor).
    He sounds like quite a handy guy. Sorry about the sudden loss

Fresh blackberry pie? Bring it over and I`ll suply the vanilla ice cream!

Natural Born Killer
    Had a woman try to right hook me this afternoon, first time this year, no blood was spilled or paint exchanged so I guess it wasn't that close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Moderator Moderator
    Boring - I took the car to bring in some of that blackberry pie for coworkers and to have extra oomph for trailriding tomorrow, which is a state holiday, Bennington Battle Day! I love how (some) VT'rs get the day off for a battle that took place in NY!

from Wikipedia
    Bennington Battle Day is a state holiday unique to Vermont which commemorates the American victory at the Battle of Bennington (which actually took place in New York) during the American Revolutionary War in 1777. The holiday's date is fixed, and occurs on August 16 every year.

In Bennington, there is a battle re-enactment put on by the local history foundation. Also, the town fires the oldest cannon in America, which is called the Molly Stark cannon, named after the commander John Stark's wife.

The Battle of Bennington is named as such, because the battle was over weapons and munitions stored where the Bennington Battle monument now stands. This site is located in, what is now referred to as, Old Bennington, Vermont.

Bicycle Radical
    My commute was fine other than the driver pulling onto the road not looking in my direction in spite of being in the process of entering a very busy intersection.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

weirdo
    Smoky, hot, cloudy, and windy. You`d think that half of those conditions would rule out the other half. Last shift for this week, but I`m not sure what to do with my weekend. The smoke is comming from the west, so maybe I can get out of it by heading south, and some extra altitude would be helpful for the temperatures.

I Ride for Donuts
    Hi kids. Back at it today. Smoky, hot, cloudy, and windy.

What did I miss?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Good to have you back, it's been quiet around here.

My commute today was in my RX-8 which is being sold tonight because I'm commuting by bike 90% of the time and I have a pickup for the days I can't. I needed to give it one last romp! I'm going to miss that car!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A cooler ride than usual for this time. Had to rock the long sleeves. I really need to figure out a new system, this duffle bag on the back is getting old...

mtbr member
    Had a city vehicle honk at me this morning at a 4-way stop, and then be an ******* about it.

I actually stop at stopsigns, so I don't know what their issue was. At the very worst it was one of those "you first...no you first" misunderstandings that 4-way stops always generate. Except that I got there first, and I was on the right, so it's only a misunderstanding if you're a fat, blind, moron who apparently has a hate-on for cyclists.

Don't be an ******* when there's an id # on your government vehicle that can be reported Ms. J1012.

Chilly here too: 45F yesterday morning, but we're supposed to have highs over 85F for most of next week.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Smoky, hot, cloudy, and windy.

What did I miss?
    Heat and smoke.
    Back already? Why don`t you wait until Novmber so you can enjoy some nice cool weather after the smoke clears out

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I missed out on my commutes the past two days because of work related training. Last night I was feeling antsy so I took off for a "short" ride on some country roads, which turned into a 19 mile singlespeed hill workout. Oops...

Today I was back to business on my commute. Things were a little odd because traffic was detoured through my neighborhood. I hope traffic returns to normal soon because these people drive too fast and are so intent on following the car in front of them, they don't pay attention to anything else.

I Ride for Donuts
    the cell phone didn't quite capture the "giant red ball in the smoke" sunrise, but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture2.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Was great...I rolled past the 300 mile mark today!

And found a kid who had just faceplanted (see here):
    Found a kid and a bmx bike in the road this morning
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Ride Everything
    Bar-eye view:

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Drizzly on the way to work this morning. Looks beautiful outside now. Can't wait for the ride home! And it's Friday!!!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    +1 for Friday!

I missed the pics of your camo Ogre CB.

I sold my fast car so I took my fast bike today. I'm planning to take it easy on the way home because I'm racing in The Great Adventure Tri tomorrow. It's the first time I've tried anything like this and it looks like fun. The weather is shaping up to be perfect.

Moderator Moderator
    A good day off yesterday riding at Kingdom Trails in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. These are the buffest trails in VT, fewer rocks and roots for the most part, making for a more flowy swoopy experience. Some pics below. One of the best trails was Tap n Die, I thought Rodar would like that one! Other highlights are the boardwalks of Jaw, and the on-trail chapel where they offer the blessing of the bikes.

I was lucky to notice the front disc brake cable was shredded to about 1/2 of the strands before I started and got a quick and bargain fix at the local shop, $10 labor, $5 housing, $3 cable.

On the way home I got a hunk of metal in the car tire at 60mph and had a nice blowout, the tire was totally shredded. But it was the easiest flat fix I've ever done, no stuck nuts or frozen wheels, and a nice empty exit ramp to change it on.

Good luck at your Great Adventure, Bedwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-tapndie.jpg  

How was your commute today?-cedar.jpg  

How was your commute today?-chapel.jpg  

How was your commute today?-jaw.jpg  

How was your commute today?-burke-mtn.jpg  

How was your commute today?-carpet-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 08-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Seattle is currently going through a "heatwave" and there's an extreme heat warning issued, although in my hometown it would qualify for a regular summer. I clocked over 275 miles this week in some of the sunniest, warmest, best weather you could ask for this week. It was perfect.

weirdo

Megamini

I have a map of CA and a map of NV on my wall where I highlite the routes I`ve ridden- green for paved, blue for unpaved. There were a few sections of CA route 89 that I hadn`t hit yet, so I set off this weekend on a mision to fill in the blanks. I still haven`t made it to the very top part, but I`ve now ridden the whole of 89 from Burney Falls to the southern end

Reno is still socked in by smoke from the CommuterBoy Fire, but it got a lot better as I headed south, then got bad again yesterday when I ended up even closer to it than Reno is. Spent Friday night at an official forest service campground near the junction of 88 and 89, then up to Tahoe, and was going to camp again on 89 between Truckee and the Sierra Valley. But when I got to a likely spot, it was still kinda early to be stopping, and I didn`t like my grocery stash. There was one orange, a half pack of Fig Newtons, some oatmeal, and a baggie of previously overheated peanuts that were all greasy and gooey. I had about 60 miles to home then, and had already ridden a long way with plenty of climbing, but in the end I said "F- it" and made a run for it. Limpped through my door around 10:30 last night, ate a couple Nathans, chased it down with chocolate ice cream, and slept in my own bed

Oh, CB- the road from Truckee to Sieraville was JUST repaved, still has those little yellow tags that they use before they get around to painting stripes. Ribbon of silk, dude! Also, I talked to a motorcycle rider in Sieraville who had just come over 49 from Grass Valley. He says they`re done with that now, and its in the same awesome smoothness that 89 is. Time for a Gold Lake loop!
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

weirdo
    Tap and DIE!!! Does that suggest you`re going OTB if you hit the brakes? I assume the black diamond is a difficulty rating.

Good going, Bike CO!

And wishing luck to Bedwards. Mrs bedwards, too?