Page 274 of 439 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284324374 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,700 of 21928
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Not too many weekend commuters here I see. Today was a great ride in. 66F, windy and sunny. Perfect for a t-shirt and shorts. I didn't think about the ride home. Lets just say that it was brisk. 52F and a slight breeze. Everything on me was warm, except for my arms. Had I thrown some arm warmers in my bag, I would be set. Gonna take a set with me to work tomorrow and leave them in my locker just in case.

I did run into what appeared to be just a normal turtle. He was working his way across the path when I stopped for a quick shot of him. It wasn't until I got to work and was showing the photo to people that I saw his face. He is a grumpy looking bastard. He looks like I felt when I left the house for work on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

My new phone takes a pretty damn good picture!! The only thing I did to that photo was shrink it down. Moto X if anyone is wondering.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

mtbr member
    Painted urtle-I was lucky to ride in 3 days this week, hoping to do all by bike weather
    permitting.Finally getting decent here in the NE.
    This. .is my first time riding fixed, set my singlecross up 48x16 for the road.Gotta say its a nice change from gears, you feel every change in the road, grade etc. Definately a connectedness to the bike. - learned in a hurry that my 30 mile round trip leaves me pretty toasted! Works out with riding myself into shape plan this season.
    Fits.
    NE.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I tried fix once for my commute. The braking was my only issue. That and reminding myself that I cannot coast, always have to pedal. I would love to run fixed again, just not sure if I will. I agree about the single gear though, you definitely feel everything. The simplicity is what does it for me. No gear adjustment, no clicking, no finicky derailleur, nothing. Just pedaling and only pedaling.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 644.5/5000

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice turtle pic. These are one of my particularly favorite turtles cause they don't get as big as redeared sliders. That guy'd set you back about $30 at pet shop here in Vegas.

mtbr member
    10 speed-that bike is a ss crosser in the fall so I leave the brakes, skid stopping isn't for me.
    My usual route has some traffic going through town plus a road construction bottleneck in the pm, stopping is a necessity.
    Hear you about the derailleurs tho, I have a couple nice geared bikes but usually go for singlespeed, mtn and road now.

mtbr member
    Happy Bike to Work week everyone.

Good commute this morning, uneventful.

Some days when I commute, I can't stop eating all day. This morning I had a banana before I left home then when I got to work I was starving, so I got a bacon, egg and cheese on a whole wheat bagel in the cafeteria. I ate that about 45 minutes ago and I'm starving again.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Happy Bike to Work week everyone.

Good commute this morning, uneventful.

Some days when I commute, I can't stop eating all day. This morning I had a banana before I left home then when I got to work I was starving, so I got a bacon, egg and cheese on a whole wheat bagel in the cafeteria. I ate that about 45 minutes ago and I'm starving again.
    Aw man, it's bike to work week? I'll only be able to bike Wednesday and Thursday, and then Friday I'm off to Panama which means no biking for three weeks.

I think it's better just to eat at much as makes you feel good, honestly. Yesterday I went on a 70 mile ride and neglected to bring anything to eat because I was anticipating 35 miles. On the way back there were wicked headwinds, too so we stopped in town about 10 miles from home and ate gyros. That was a supreme feeling after getting pretty energy depleted. Gyros and French fries is a bit heavy for biking, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Apparently my FD wasn't moving as freely as I'd like when I got on the bike this morning, had to give it a little nudge with my foot to loosen it up just after leaving. Can I just remove it and submerge the whole thing in... something? I suspect acetone is too harsh? Or is it all just metal? And what do you all use for a lubricant on these parts? I've been using a basic penetrating or 3 in 1 oil but it doesn't last very long.

Whichever of you mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner has got me thinking about one. They're not very expensive on Amazon.

Also got to work only to find one of my panniers had slipped a clip off. Fortunately I had the other clip and I keep the wrap-around strap through the back rack just in case, but of all days for my bag to make a bid for freedom it had to be the day I put the $400 piece of test equipment in that bag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Aw man, it's bike to work week? I'll only be able to bike Wednesday and Thursday, and then Friday I'm off to Panama which means no biking for three weeks.
    Sounds like a pretty good excuse not to commute for a few weeks! What are you going to Panama for?

mtbr member
    A good commute in this AM after a hell of a weekend. Started out Friday night when I decided to go for a ride to check out if the single track was getting to the point of being ridable and knowing that I had a lot to do over the weekend, so wouldn't get time to ride.

The entrance to the trails is 2.5 miles from my house. So I rode to the trails, hopped on and powered down the trail, not riding hard or anything. Get to a trail called College Connector which starts with a nice little down hill followed by a steepish uphill with a bit of a rooty section and off-camber stuff. Not difficult, but you want to be in the right gear going into the climb. Anyway, on the descent I get to the combo I feel comfortable in and just before I lose momentum, start peddling the uphill.

That's when it happens. Not more than a half mile into my trail riding. Pop. Clang. The sound of metal hitting spokes and the feeling of a set of cranks that won't move.

I figure that I might have branched my wheel or dropped my chain or something. Instead, I found just what I didn't want to see. Busted rear der.

I give the bike a quick once over to assess damage and it appears that apart from the busted der and a bent spoke that things are overall okay.

I could break the chain and set the bike up single speed to make it home, but given that it's a brand new chain and the wife is out and about anyway, I decide to just push the bike back out to a roadway where I can meet here, give her a call to come pick my busted arse up, and begin waiting and seething.

I shouldn't be too upset, I've never busted a der before and this one had a lot of hard miles on it. But still, I was not looking forward to putting more money into the bike. I was looking forward to a nice evening ride in perfect Alaska spring weather.

Now I had yet another task to complete on my to do list over the weekend. While I enjoy wrenching on the bike, I prefer to do so when 1) it isn't critical that I get it fixed in order to be able to make it to work the coming week, and 2) I don't have two other huge to do items that are just as important to complete.

Long story short - spent a bit of time on Saturday morning locating a der in the Valley so I didn't have to run to Anchorage as the family truckster was likewise out of commission. Paid a bit too much for the der, but was able to get the bike back to running order with a bit of time to spare on Sunday night and got a nice trail ride to boot.

For more details and photos - check out the blog, linked in the signature.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Apparently my FD wasn't moving as freely as I'd like when I got on the bike this morning, had to give it a little nudge with my foot to loosen it up just after leaving. Can I just remove it and submerge the whole thing in... something? I suspect acetone is too harsh? Or is it all just metal? And what do you all use for a lubricant on these parts? I've been using a basic penetrating or 3 in 1 oil but it doesn't last very long.

Whichever of you mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner has got me thinking about one. They're not very expensive on Amazon.
    That was me... turned out the RD was fine but the cable housing was sticking (it is probably 4 to 5 years old)...

Anyway I threw the chain in the Ultrasound cleaner and bingo an hour later it pops out shiney clean...

I get a sticky FD after the winter most years...before the ultrsound I had to soak in CLR then WD-40 then CLR the WD40 then tranny fluid.....then dry and lube up...

I have two FD's that I alternate

Bedwards Of The West
    That turtle is a perfect Monday commute mascot. I felt about as fast and happy as that turtle this morning.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    5 C this morning and a very nice commute...

Some guy had a single vehicle crash on Crowchild Trail at 6:30 AM...

Traffic was horribly tied up...backed up several miles on all the main north and west roads...

I thought I might cruise down 14 street just to wave at all the poor suckers stuck there...

But I took the scenic route and caught a glimpse of the rescue efforts.

mtbr member
    Nice enough ride today. Tonnes of bikes out, including a half-empty (or half-full) tandem. All of the fatbikes from the winter seem to have disappeared, which surprises me a bit.

Walked into the changeroom at work, and one of the infrequent commuters needed to tell me about a bad experience he'd had on his ride in - over on the right at a stopsign, and a truck squeezed in and almost right-hooked him. He was pretty upset, and this happened on the grounds of our office campus where the only excuse a driver has is that they're an impatient *******.

Best I could do was agree with him, speculate about taking revenge on this white pickup, say that the same thing has happened to me but it's never been bad enough to stop me, and tell him not to let it ruin his day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    For more details and photos - check out the blog, linked in the signature.
    I saw this on your blog:

as I install the der I realize that the hanger has bent. The hanger. On a Surly. Non-replaceable. But steel is real and, it seems, real easy to bend. After some fiddling with hammer, vice grip, and square I was able to get it back to near perfection - well, the best I could without a reference to look at
    Last year I bent the non-replacable hanger on my steel inbred, and the co-op was closed so I couldn't use their alignment gauge. So I searched the internet and found the trick of threading a rear wheel (with 10mm axle) into the derailleur mount. It threads right in, and makes a pretty handy reference and lever. Maybe not perfect, but good enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I saw this on your blog:

Last year I bent the non-replacable hanger on my steel inbred, and the co-op was closed so I couldn't use their alignment gauge. So I searched the internet and found the trick of threading a rear wheel (with 10mm axle) into the derailleur mount. It threads right in, and makes a pretty handy reference and lever. Maybe not perfect, but good enough.
    That's a good idea. I know I have the up and down near perfect. I do need to check the front to rear though.

I ride bikes
    70*s all week! Perfect for bike to work week. Today's ride I saw tons of geese with their little goslings, muskrats, and some ducks. Excited that this is the first solid week of weather this year. Lots of commuting and lots of mountain riding. Just waiting for the rest of the snow to melt on the mountain so I can have some fun downhill!

I dream on two wheels

How was your commute today?

Wet snowy ride this morning in the mile high city. A nice May Day.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    Wet snowy ride this morning in the mile high city. A nice May Day.
    Wow, seriously? That's crazy. First day of the year I wore shorts for my ride in!

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good excuse not to commute for a few weeks! What are you going to Panama for?
    It's for a field biology and biodiversity course.

CB of the East
    The commute to work was great, sunny, warm, no wind, very rested legs. The re-entry to work after 10 days in Mexico...not so much.

mtbr member
    Best commuting day so far - was plenty warm with just shorts and short sleeves. Almost nice enough to make me forget how badly Mt Penn beat up my arms and shoulders on Saturday. I'm sure I'll be complaining about the heat on the way home

That same goose was in the same spot this morning. This time I charged it and turned away at the last second - this didn't give him room to run me off the edge of the path. Was somewhat nervewracking considering I had just put some new wheels/tires on and wasn't sure if the tubes were in correctly. Going to have nightmares tonight about the alternate universe where I fall and get pecked to death. It is pretty cool seeing them like this - not sure if the attacker is the mom or the dad but the way that one kind of tries to shuffle the kids away while the other "fights" is awesome. I've gotta get some of those sunglasses with the built in camera for that kind of moment.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    That same goose was in the same spot this morning. This time I charged it and turned away at the last second - this didn't give him room to run me off the edge of the path.
    I whistle then head directly at the goose...they always get out of the way....but do some serious hissing..

Doesn't take long till they just get out of the way early

Did I catch a niner+?
    Rainy, cold, and slightly painful. Did a gran fondo on Saturday, then did 26mi on the fixie Sunday, and did a short ride today but still a bit stiff.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2014

:)

It was a nice sunny morning. I hope the weather will continue that way.

Moderator Moderator
    The commuter in trail mode on Sunday. It was a beautiful day. You can see it's greening up a bit. Spotted this owl trailside. Monday's commute was great too, except for resulting in 8 hours in the office.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-southview-1024x768-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-owl-fellowshipsmall-2-1024x767-.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    MTBX, what bike are you getting?

Trail route today... very nice. I go by a little lake/pond, and thought of all these geese stories. The baby (Canadian) geese are out in all their fluffy glory... the parents weren't close enough to me to get mad, but they get pretty defensive with the kids are around.

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 05-13-2014 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    I was off Friday and Monday to attend a funeral out of state. It felt good to be back on the bike this morning, even though I have come down with a cold.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    MTBX, what bike are you getting?
    Same stable as yours, different horse, the Santa Cruz 5010!

Bedwards Of The West
    Niiiiiice. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Good ride in this AM, again. Can't complain when it's spring. Even with the off the charts pollen count (Pollen) the ride isn't bad and the world smells amazing.

The fog in Anchorage condensed on my wool sweater and beard as I rode in. Kinda cool. A new form of beardcicles.

How was your commute today?-14175462922_c61ee0a6a4_c.jpg

How was your commute today?-13991471938_e9cd1e3421_c.jpg

How was your commute today?-13991507197_267fc80783_c.jpg

A beautiful morning, indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I whistle then head directly at the goose...they always get out of the way....but do some serious hissing..

Doesn't take long till they just get out of the way early
    Drove to work but tried this in the parking lot this morning and it sent a few skyward. Hopefully it works on my trail buddies

Enjoy that Santa Cruz, MTBX - just looking at those has me questioning my decision to build a cross bike for long distance rides this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Going camping thursday and friday so no commute. So only one more day to listen to my squeak to work and back. I'm thinking it is time for a bottom bracket overhaul.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Good!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The commuter in trail mode on Sunday. It was a beautiful day. You can see it's greening up a bit. Spotted this owl trailside. Monday's commute was great too, except for resulting in 8 hours in the office.
    It's okay to have 8 hours in your office, at least you have your bike on your way home.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Same stable as yours, different horse, the Santa Cruz 5010!
    Making the jump to FS! You'll love it.

My legs felt like dead stumps for the ride in. Still recovering from vacation I guess.

Bedwards Of The West
    I think I got "Cat 6'd" this morning!! I have NEVER seen a "real" commuter on my way to work... a few kids riding to school, and the occasional "I'm only riding this women's Walmart mountain bike because I got a DUI" type dude (not that there's anything wrong with that...but you know...not a rider)... but today was a new one for me.

I started seeing this guy way up ahead of me on the rural 2-lane on the way to town, and I reeled him in easily, but I was sort of afraid to catch him. There's a light coming up in maybe 1/2 mile, and I'm sure he's going to go hit the button and be a pedestrian, rather than take the lane...and then what do I do? I always take the lane, but then do we have to do the same thing? Does the first one there determine what the next guy has to do? Is it rude to blow by him? Do we talk? It was quite the flood of emotions

I decided to make my presence known before the light, and then take the lane to inspire him to do the same. It worked, but he stayed too far over to the right and blocked the right turn lane traffic (by 'traffic' I mean one car that showed up later). We said hi, and I looked down and dude was riding a Litespeed hardtail! What? It totally went with his Jeans and button down shirt.

So at this point I know he was averaging about 11 mph before the light...I was rolling at 17 or so. But he's the man, so when the light turned green he says "well have a good one" as if it's obvious he's going to leave me behind and never see me again, and he starts cranking out the wattage...until maybe the other side of the intersection when he reaches 11mph again. Obviously we're going the same way, and the turn onto the bike path is maybe 200 yards up the road... I let him go and stayed behind, hoping he wouldn't take the path, but sure enough he starts looking over his shoulder to make the turn onto the bike path. I just couldn't sit back there at 11 mph for another mile and a half, so I just stayed on the road

So weird sharing the road with another cyclist. I felt like a city boy for a minute there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I think I got "Cat 6'd" this morning!! I have NEVER seen a "real" commuter on my way to work

So weird sharing the road with another cyclist. I felt like a city boy for a minute there.
    Yup makes a big difference....

Last night going home a pretty good rider passed me as I started out riding....caught him be the time I warmed up.....road on his back end til the head wind slowed him down....

Then I took the lead....he didn't have it so I put about 500 meters on him...then the wind kills me and he catches up and drafts for the last km, before he turns off my route...

Didn't say a thing....but if he wanted to talk it woudld have been fine.

In the end nice pull...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yes my first FS! Although Sunday, riding the trusty Litespeed on the trails, I was like, I donít really need a new bike. But the money is down and Iím sure I will love it when it get here.

I should know better than to do any work on the bike before work, but how long could it take to swap the BB7 pads? 20 minutes later I decided to ride without the front brake, it just would not set in there right. Then I decided to stop at the shop rather than wrestle with it after work. But they had just as bad a wrestling match as I did, but at least they knew that you could wrench of the red plastic adjuster and use the sturdy metal piece underneath. It has taken a beating from the winter corrosion. But they still were not satisfied and sent me on my way with a loaner bike so they could work on it more.

Bedwards Of The West
    BB7 pads can be brutal. You can get them in there and operational and they're still not right...and then a week later you realize that your wavy rotor has eaten the little spring thingy because the pads weren't completely in place. Rule of thumb: when you know you finally got them in the right spot...no you didn't.

mtbr member
    Good commute this morning. Again. A bit breezy in the Valley - 6 to 10 steady with gusts to 15. 52 degrees. Not too shabby. A bit cooler in town, but less wind.

Nothing else to report. Just good times on the trail.

So, I'm writing an article for Alaska Commons about why I think bike to work day is a crock of sh*t and I want to enlist y'all's thoughts. Does bike to work day actually promote bike commuting and getting people to become bike commuters? How many of you became bike commuters as a direct result of bike to work day? Is it a good thing or not? PM me with any insight you want to share.

mtbr member
    Meeting other bike commuters is generally awkward unless they are going the other way. I prefer not to see anyone else.

I had the opportunity to hit a pedestrian yesterday. He was on the phone, walking in the bike lane with his back to traffic and not paying attention to anything. He turned right where I turn and looked to be following the road, but just as I approached, he veered out into the street without looking. I hit the brakes and swerved behind him. I suppose I should have made myself more known, but I don't know if it would have made much difference.

mtbr member
    Mine was nice this morning. The new Shimano platform SPD's that I put on last night to replace my venerable but beloved old Suntour toe clips increased efficiency dramatically. Made for a nice spin in.

CB of the East
    Good commute this morning. Again. A bit breezy in the Valley - 6 to 10 steady with gusts to 15. 52 degrees. Not too shabby. A bit cooler in town, but less wind.

Nothing else to report. Just good times on the trail.

So, I'm writing an article for Alaska Commons about why I think bike to work day is a crock of sh*t and I want to enlist y'all's thoughts. Does bike to work day actually promote bike commuting and getting people to become bike commuters? How many of you became bike commuters as a direct result of bike to work day? Is it a good thing or not? PM me with any insight you want to share.
    My bike commuting started with commute another way day back in 1996 or so. I had a longer commute back then and biked less. The second year in I committed to doing it a few times a year. The third I tried for once a week. I took a long break and started back up with several times a week and ramped up to every day possible. So, I'd say it works.

Bedwards Of The West
    How many of you became bike commuters as a direct result of bike to work day? Is it a good thing or not? PM me with any insight you want to share.
    I never knew bike to work days existed until reading this forum.

mtbr member
    I suppose it depends where you are. Here in Hailey Idaho, (and up valley to ketchum) there is a big deal where shops put out swag and stuff. Does it in itself turn people into commuters? I suppose a few. it got me thinking about commuting more I suppose. Though I already did some before. What it does do is introduce some of the normal family folk that live and work in our little town to riding the kids to school in the morning instead of firing up the car for those 8-10 blocks, and help get the kids used to getting places that way too. AND it raises local motorists' awareness that folks are out there commuting. so to that extent it is positive around here. Not seeing that it is bullpookey iMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great story commuter boy. . .left me laughing. Shows what a nice guy you are. I'd have blown by him if I was a 17 mph rider. As it stands, me and him seem evenly matched, so I'd have taken the trail and drafted him.

Well, time to get the trailer hooked up to the XJ and spend some time in the cool mountains. Supposed to hit 100+ this weekend in Vegas. May or may not take the mt. bike. If I take my bike, gonna have to let the kids take theirs. If the kids take theirs, I'm gonna spend all my time worried about them getting hit by cars as this campground isn't exactly bike friendly. Or I may be "that guy" who takes his bike but doesn't let the kids take theirs. . .figure I can get in a few morning rides fore anyone even wakes up.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^+1, hilarious! Not sure about that Litespeed and button-down comment though
    I have always signed up for Way to Go Week, Commute another Way Day (got near 100% participation back in my Portland ME office of 30+ people, but not just by bike), etc. But what I want to know is who wins this stuff??? I have been participating for years and never won anything!
    Youíll also be automatically entered in a drawing to win one of these great prizes:

iPad Air (16GB wi-fi)
    iPad mini (16GB wi-fi)
    $300 gift card to Skirack for gear*
    $100 gift card to the restaurant of your choice (2 available)
    $50 gift card to the restaurant of your choice (2 available)
    $100 gift card to City Market* or food co-op of your choice
    Green Mountain Coffee Personal Keurig and case of K-cups*
    Fitbit tracker (courtesy of Zimride by Enterprise)

Öand one lucky business will be the recipient of:

Green Mountain Coffee Commercial Keurig and case of K-cups*

mtbr member
    This morning was my first morning commute of the year with shorts and short sleeves! It was beautiful out, perfect temperature. Low 60's and slightly overcast.

mtbr member
    Tried the whistling thing this morning, either I'm really bad at whistling or we have tougher geese around these parts (probably didn't help that they were both trying to help their kids across the trail). Makes me feel pretty tough losing a game of chicken to a goose