Page 248 of 597 FirstFirst ... 148 198 238 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 258 298 348 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 14919
    mtbr member
    I raced a storm all the way home today. I was just far enough away from it that I was getting a little drizzle to cool me down and the thunder in the background sounded awesome. There is one giant hill on my commute where I was able to stop and look back over the surrounding area. The town to my left was getting pounded by a solid wall of rain. The town I had just come from was getting the worst part of the thunder and wind but where I was going had not been hit yet. That hill is also on a closed road so it made for a peaceful moment before I had to jump back into the race against the sky.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    LOL, nice going MTBX! He looks a little peeved about it too.

weirdo
    I`d have drafted the turtle- saves energy.

Oromis, that sounds like fun. I love rain as long as it isn`t falling on me- getting to see it in the distance and the smell of an approaching storm is cool. Getting rained ON is another story.

mtbr member
    The one I saw on Wednesday last week had turned turtle and was racing hares in heaven. Possums don't bother me but that Box Turtle did, Other riders commented on it too. So glad to see one still in the race. Mind you, one ate my garden forcing a replant and fence one year ad I still have a soft spot for them.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yesterday evening was one of those it-starts-raining-as-soon-as-I-step-out-the-door kind of commutes. It seemed like the rainclouds were centered over the office. I waited it out a bit before heading out in the rain. Before long, I was out and the road was dry.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I had an intentionally really slow commute in this morning looking for the critical piece of the cap to my insulated bean canteen that rattled off on Monday. No luck. I think the thing that bugs me the most about not finding it is that I'm going to be scanning the shoulder for weeks looking for it.

Nice turtle.

I Ride for Donuts
    They're not done with road construction yet... there is a nice layer put down, but they're doing a second layer, and the aprons, side-road-transitions, etc. I am sneaking in to work before they start controlling traffic, but I've been getting stopped on the way home. Trying to pace with the 'pilot car' is good training. Yesterday I spotted a guy I ride with in the line-up and jumped in behind him to get a draft. He drives a rather large truck. It was sweet.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Had to go to training out in the boonies yesterday, so my 6km route grew to 20km. It was super annoyingly windy in the morning, but the ride home was nice enough that I hit the trails even though I was on my "city" bike. It's geared a little high, the fenders rattle, and the BAs are a little unpredictable on rooty, technical stuff, but it performed pretty well. And in the middle of that I saw a guy with a broken chain, and hooked him up with one of my many spare quicklinks to get home.

Moderator Moderator
    So far, so good. The rain stopped before I got up, so I had a dry ride in, but thunderstorms are forecast for the trip home. I went to grab the MTB but realized I'd stolen the pedals for fatbiking over the weekend (I had loaned those pedals to somebody who wanted to try flats). Rather than get them I decided on the cross bike, which I had not used on this commute yet. It cut off about 10 minutes from the trip compared to the knobbies, but I was pushing too tall a gear on the 2 mile hill, rideable but lower cadence than desirable.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ The singlespeed has taught me that I can push a much higher gear than I usually do. Eliminating an easier option makes you dig deep! I've surprised myself.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ The singlespeed has taught me that I can push a much higher gear than I usually do. Eliminating an easier option makes you dig deep! I've surprised myself.
    I agree with this. I started uploading my rides to Strava a couple months ago. Strava has a segment feature where you can track your speeds/times over interesting segments on your rides. I was looking at a particular hill segment that I ride every morning on the way to work, and noticed that all my top times up that hill were back in 2010. Seemed odd to me because I am a stronger rider today than I was back in 2010. But then it hit me...early last year I installed a wider-range cassette on my bike and I was riding a lower gear up that hill...getting lazy cause I could...resulting in slower times. So this week I started pushing a higher gear, and recording times similiar to those back in 2010. And, it's not really any harder getting up that hill...

mtbr member
    Well my SS mountain bike is at about 53 gearinches, which is a pretty good gear for the trails (even if it's pretty spinny for commuting). My city SS is probably about 71 gearinches, but it worked surprisingly well. It's also my dinglespeed, so I could gear it down to around 50 gearinches if I ever really want to tackle the trails.

my SS roadie has made me stronger, for sure. I have a shortish, but painful hill on my way home. when I first built my SS roadie, I couldn't make it up that hill. Now, I do it regularly. I only walk when pedestrians are coming down it.

There's a less steep hill also on my way home, a bit after the tougher one (far enough for a recovery). When I first started with the SS, I had to stand and climb it. Now, I can climb it seated.

My goal is to be able to noticeably dial back my effort on the bigger hill. I am not sure if I will be able to climb it seated on the SS, but currently I have to dig deep to get past the steepest segment. That hill is a big reason I run the gear ratio that I do. That gear tends to get a little spinny in the flats and especially so anytime there's a downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I agree with this.But then it hit me...early last year I installed a wider-range cassette on my bike and I was riding a lower gear up that hill...getting lazy cause I could...resulting in slower times. So this week I started pushing a higher gear, and recording times similiar to those back in 2010. And, it's not really any harder getting up that hill...
    There it is single speed is not required to achieve the training effect....

Also over the long term percieved effort is also not sufficient...

What does work is applying a direct measurment and then listening to the answer...

Things that work.....

power meter...

timed...intervals over the same terrain....

Percieved effort on a single speed may well result in the same loss of speed or effor over time.

Lastly while I stood and hammered a higher gear for several years on some climbs....I have now decided for the hell of it to try sitting and spinning on the same climbs...

Guess what if I go just as hard I get the same times up the hills...

mtbr member
    Rode the commuter today. Forgot how nice it is to ride in the evening with most motorists off the streets.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Brand new frame! Parts on hand already? Puglsey to follow, or was it a One-Or-The-Other question?
    thought I'd answered this, sorry!
    she asked for several options, I gave her about 4 or 5 I think.
    apparently the shop that ordered the pugs couldn't get it in because the distributor didn't deliver it?!?! I don't know.
    anyways, on thursday she shot a call to Phat Moose Cycles (not my lbs, not even in my city!) and they had it in her hands by monday.
    She asked me to meet her at her office for lunch and there it was.

the casseroll was in response to my recent mini-tour and what I learned does and doesn't work after 100km.
    but it could have gone either way!
    It'll be ss-done sooner than later (alfine wheel build will be later on).
    But woooooow. just so retro-touring chic it's awesome.

anyways, I'll stop thread-jacking this and post it where it belongs when it's done!
    Cheers Rodar!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is there a such thing as a natural pace when riding? I intentionally rode slow on the way in today because I had to go to a field office about 8 mi one way from home and it felt weird going so slow and coasting so much. I still managed to cover the 8 mi in about 45 min though..

mtbr member
    My commute is a pretty hilly 8 miles and it takes me 40mins to do. I have to get off the bike twice to cyclocross-it over some concrete barricades. If I am going all out on the road bike I can knock my time down to 30 mins but I can not do that and then be expected to do physical labor for 8 hours. My job is stressful enough as it is so I take a more relaxing approach to my commute. I want my legs to burn a little but I also don't want to over do it. I am sure that the more I commute the faster my times will be. The commute home is much more leisurely too because I am trying to figure out where all the singletrack off the side of the road goes.

Ride Everything
    Due to all kinds of non-awesomeness, I hadn't ridden since Thursday. The ride in today was decent, but coming home it was Perma-Headwind(tm). Utterly sucktastic.

Sold my truck over the weekend, so I guess I'll become more tolerant of the wind here in the People's Republic.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Yeah, sorry about that wind. As a famous biker once said "The wind is a hill with no soul"

It is a truly beautiful morning here after quite a bit of cloudy, rainy weather. A school bus driver actually pulled over to let me pass. I stayed in front of the bus for a few miles on a rural road before it passed me again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Is there a such thing as a natural pace when riding? I intentionally rode slow on the way in today because I had to go to a field office about 8 mi one way from home and it felt weird going so slow and coasting so much. I still managed to cover the 8 mi in about 45 min though..
    Of course.....there are many natural paces.

Normally defined by your breathing pattern.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got all set up to ride in this morning....

Kinda blew it though...shorts and rain slicker.....

Then it started snowing.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Blue Bird morning commute taking the long way, along Taku lake. So nice this AM, B2WD should be even nicer!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Beautiful morning you're got there Jordy. If I had taken a picture this morning it would have looked a lot the same but our leaves are a little further along.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Ya, they just started to bloom. We are still getting down to the upper 20's, lower 30's at night if its clear. It was 31 at 0600 this AM. I was in shorts when I left home and it was 33, was pretty cold in the shade.