Page 244 of 437 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254294344 ... LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,200 of 21813
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rain on the way to and from work, glad I have Ok rain gear. The fenders I bought are freaking awesome, the frame mounted muck guard kept my feet semi dry. The only thing I don't like is wearing my glasses with lack of vision.

Moderator Moderator
    A winter wonderland (OK, 1 of snow, 3 expected) made for a fun ride this morning. The shoulders were still mostly pristine snow which made for nice pedaling with the studded tires. Met a guy in the parking lot; he asked about winter riding, admired the bike and declared himself unworthy as he was just about to drive to a meeting <1/2 mile away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have driven the past couple days. We were getting snow and freezing rain on Friday. We got out of work early, and the roads were kind of sketchy. I probably would have been fine on my bike, but it was probably a good idea to drive. There was quite a bit of traffic, about a half inch of ice when I left work, and people were driving like idiots. I would have biked today, but my rear tire was flat. Oh well. Guess I will have to fix it tonight.

Bedwards Of The West
    New personal low temp record of -5F this morning. First day this year on the studded tires, so I felt really slow with the cold and the studs. Also my first time wearing goggles (clear lens dirt bike goggles). I've switched to my snowboard helmet for the winter and it's designed for goggles, so the combo worked very well...full face 'clava, and just my nose peeking out. No fog, no frostbite, so that's good. If my ride was much longer I'd be looking into one of those nose shield thingies. For my 6 miles I was fine.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    A good ride in this morning. Felt strong and rested. 25F at the house and a light dusting of snow overnight made for some good grip, which I was worried about as it was freezing fog all day Saturday and Sunday and Sunday night it looked like an ice rink everywhere.

Trails in Anchorage were good and packed and fast.

Now just need to figure out why the front der is acting up on me. Probably crudded up after Saturday's ride. Should probably actually wash the whole bike sometime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wrong tires again

Forecast was for light snow flurries maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of snow great for the M&G

Snowing about 1/2 inch an hour for the last two hours and getting stronger...with 20 to 30 km/h wind...

It is gonna drift and I will want my Freddies.

Bedwards Of The West
    I meant to comment last time jeffscott... I did that the other day too... totally underestimated the ice and went studless for a very stressful commute. The biggest challenge for me is living off on a dirt road in the trees.... you can't get a good idea of what the pavement is going to be like. Can't do much about a blown forecast though...

mtbr member
    A brief reprieve from the deepfreeze: 20F today, but should be back around-5F tomorrow and maybe -20F by the end of the week.

Took the newly converted fixie today. It still has brakes and will always have brakes, but now I understand why fixie riders are so infamous for ignoring the law - stopping is really annoying. On my route there's a 4 block stretch with stopsigns on every block. Normally I sprint up to each sign, slam on the brakes, and sprint off to the next one. Trying to do that while ignoring my brakes was not as much fun. And doing something like signalling while stopping&turning&accelerating again is really complicated. But it should keep me entertained for awhile.

CB of the East
    I took the fatbike today because we are getting our first real snow of the season. It hadn't really started on the way in but it looks like we will have about 3" by the time I leave. Just enough to smooth out the trails. I'm sure my tracks will be the first ones on the trail.

mtbr member
    I am glad I don't *have* to go anywhere on Friday. Friday we got a couple of inches of snow by morning commute time, which mostly became slush then another 5-6 on top of that through to afternoon commuting time. As it was snowing at about an inch an hour, they did not have the main routes plowed. Strange with all the plants quitting times. They often wait until the storm is over. That was not ideal, but not the main problem. It was the first substantial snowfall so far and we don't have a lot of snow any year and some almost without snow. So even experienced drivers don't understand a fluffy layer on a slushy one = tobogganing. You could feel the car squirming down the road. The novices and those from further south are at yet another level of moron. With about a half million winter driving miles in snow belt areas and a couple of winters in Ottawa, Ontario, plus AWD, four expensive Dunlop Ice radials, i figured I was OK to go with caution. Not with those idiots. I went back home before someone hit me. Cycling would have been a very hazardous proposition. Maybe a lot of people moved here recently from Texas. Like Nate.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

I haven't commuted by bike in over a week. With getting the house ready, to moving, and frying the battery pack, it just wasn't coming together. We got the full 1,000 dollar deposit back on the old rental, plus overtime on payday tomorrow, with no rent this month. I'll be picking up a new light and battery pack. Hope to be back at it by the end of the week.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Light freak
    Frying the battery pack? I thought I read you that you ordered a charger from Action. What happened?

mtbr member

Tried a universal charger from Ace Hardware that should have met all the requirements. Instead, the PCB got super hot, and I haven't been able to get any power out of it since. It was a cheap pack, so it's not killing me to replace it. I just hate not being able to commute.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    New personal low temp record of -5F this morning.

If my ride was much longer I'd be looking into one of those nose shield thingies.
    Bad ass!
    We got super cold over the weekend, but I don`t get to claim riding in it. Minus 13 yesterday morning at the air base, which is the coldest I remember in this area. We must have had quite a micro climate going because the coldest low for Reno (Reno airport, I think) was -2 on the same morning. We even showed colder than Tahoe, which is very rare. Looking at all this still fluffy snow is giving me creepy memories from last year. Remember we got a decent storm around Christmas time that was still hanging around into Feb with nothing new on top of it? Sure hope we don`t have another version of that in the works.

Nose cover: I made one from cardboard and duct tape last year. Very Flintsone-ish, but it actually did help. Will be doing it again soon. Probably tonight.

Related, we got a propane delivery last week at a record price- $4.88 per gallon! Time to start calling around and see if I can do something cheaper. For the other propane users on board, what kind of prices are you paying?
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    I was thinking the same thing about the single storm/freezing month-and-a-half last year... We were colder on Sunday morning, but no commute for me.

Weird temp fluctuations locally with this one...I checked all the local stations on weather underground this morning, and my -5 was an average... a couple at -7, and a couple at -3... Noticed there was one in Reno at +2, and one in Sparks at -7 ... how does that work?

Ouch on the propane. I'm still a wood-burning caveman. Winter heating bill is $60 for the permits and the occasional new chain for the saw.

Light freak
    Oh man, I am sorry to hear that. That is such a bummer.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    waiting at a give way sign for a car to go by, got honked by impatient driver behind me. turned right and they proceeded to overtake over unbroken lines, chirp the tyres on a Hyundai i30 and race off. Of course 3 blocks later they're waiting at the lights when I arrive. She proceeds to wear madly in front of her two young kids.
    commute time is normally nice thinking time, todays topic was the madness and pressure of rushing about to little end. Rest of the ride I eased off, picked nice easy gears and enjoyed the view, was a little late to work but much happier for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    New personal low for me too at 26F. With the hottest commute at 117F last summer that's a 91 degree swing. . .Ride home was about 41F. This is super cold for Vegas. Might get weather like this for one or two weeks tops all winter, but usually in January. Off tomorrow for my other kid's award ceremony, which is fine by me as lows are supposed to be in low twenties.

mtbr member
    yay personal low today!

How was your commute today?-yay.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats to all the personal best lows today! Where else can you celebrate your low points?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I guess it was about time it happened. I hit a pothole and flatted. All the air was gone by the time I rolled about 100 ft down the street and realized what happened.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Where else can you celebrate your low points?
    The golf course? But yes, congratulations- seems to be quie a batch of new records.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    Rest of the ride I eased off, picked nice easy gears and enjoyed the view, was a little late to work but much happier for it.
    Admirable bravery there
    I think I`d have just arrived grouchy!

$60 per year? Something to be said for that.

Cold tonight, but no personal record- if I had worked Sunday it would have been one for sure. Ah, the "if" clause. From this afternoon`s ride in:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-pc091053.jpg  

Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    The novices and those from further south are at yet another level of moron. With about a half million winter driving miles in snow belt areas and a couple of winters in Ottawa, Ontario, plus AWD, four expensive Dunlop Ice radials, i figured I was OK to go with caution. Not with those idiots. I went back home before someone hit me. Cycling would have been a very hazardous proposition. Maybe a lot of people moved here recently from Texas. Like Nate.
    I'm kind of in the same boat only we didn't get as much snow. Here we have a mix of idiots in the snow. On the one hand, you have the truck/SUV tailgaters going too fast and other drivers going way too slow. It's a bad mix.

We received around an inch of snow this morning. The roads were cold and the salt isn't working too well in most areas yet. I drove again. On my way in, I saw numerous places where people had run off the road. There were three places on our street alone where people had either missed the turn or gone off into a ditch. It's nuts. I hate driving, but I think it was a good decision today.

mtbr member

80 and sunny down here. Had to add another skinny notch to the belt, even after being out of the saddle for over a week. I'm looking forward to this new route, especially in the morning. Gotta pick up some street treads, since I'll be on asphalt the whole way, now.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    yay personal low today!
    Is that 4:23am? That's either really stinking early or really far north

I was right at zero for the ride in this morning... had to do an extra 3/4 of a mile to run an errand, and I felt it... the cold just saps you.

Hey Texan, didn't you hear?
    How was your commute today?-img_51758943862166.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Morning ride: -7c, dry without snow or ice... but bracing! Turned on Strava and rode like crazy trying to get some PBs, but no dice, all the runs were kinda slow.

It is already -4 outside with a few hours to go until I ride home - hoping for less suicidal dogs on trails than yesterday!
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    A brief reprieve from the deepfreeze: 20F today, but should be back around-5F tomorrow and maybe -20F by the end of the week.

Took the newly converted fixie today. It still has brakes and will always have brakes, but now I understand why fixie riders are so infamous for ignoring the law - stopping is really annoying. On my route there's a 4 block stretch with stopsigns on every block. Normally I sprint up to each sign, slam on the brakes, and sprint off to the next one. Trying to do that while ignoring my brakes was not as much fun. And doing something like signalling while stopping&turning&accelerating again is really complicated. But it should keep me entertained for awhile.
    Congrats on the fixie. I commuted one day with mine, and decided that it wasn't exactly for me. I had to relearn how to ride a bike. No coasting, and your legs literally are the brakes. I broke all kinds of rules of the road when I rode mine, I just never posted them up. Stop sign? What stop sign? No traffic at a red light? I didn't stop. My legs hurt for 4 days after riding like that.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2016 miles: 4172/6000
    2017 miles: 314.2/5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    ... On the one hand, you have the truck/SUV tailgaters going too fast and other drivers going way too slow. It's a bad mix. ... I hate driving, but I think it was a good decision today.
    I had a Ford Ranger (RWD, no limited slip diff, four winter tires with studs on the rears, and a 150 pounds of weight just ahead of the tailgate. Even in that setup, it was the *worst* winter vehicle I ever have owned (part of my severance package, was my work vehicle). It got stuck in about 4 inches of snow in my driveway. I pulled the Ranger out with the AWD car! Even my Dad's '69 Chevy pickup with nearly bald M & S tires would have driven rings around it (limited slip helps *a lot*). So when I see a beater pickup with bald tires going slow, or a Buick with an almost worn out set of "all-season" tires, I know that they really aren't going too slow. Possibly too fast, actually. Their traction and ability to turn and brake is pathetic. They should not venture out at all. They simply are not equipped to handle it.

Then you have the Audis, Explorers, and others thinking because they can go, they can stop, or turn like usual. No idea that they imperil everyone. Also driving needs practice. We don't get enough snow in all its forms enough years to get most people educated. The interstate is such a scary mix of these.

Congrats to the new record low rides, everyone.

mtbr member

Hey Texan, didn't you hear?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_51758943862166.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	853699
    Yeah, I'm catching some flak for it, too. I never had a white Christmas, but it was always cold. This mess is ridiculous. We're two weeks away from Christmas and I'm thinking of making it a beach picnic day.

Feel sorry for me

Moderator Moderator
    It's looking festive. Stopped to snap this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1030045.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    True grit
    (taken Sunday before cleaning, dirt dried on after Friday's commute)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1030046.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My commute was awesome!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    blockphi, what did you do today since they canceled your bus service due to the icy roads???

mtbr member
    Yeah thats 4:23 am. I leave the house round 4am and get to work 430ish.
    Riding the frozen snow ruts in the morning are kinda beating me up. my joints are feeling it.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well that makes my 6:30 commute feel pretty good, even at 0 degrees

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. The bus was not running due to another freezing rain advisory. But it is supposed to get back down to normal winter temps here in the next day or so. Good times ahead again...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I had a Ford Ranger (RWD, no limited slip diff, four winter tires with studs on the rears, and a 150 pounds of weight just ahead of the tailgate. Even in that setup, it was the *worst* winter vehicle I ever have owned...
    That bad? Granted, a FWD car is way better on slick, icy roads than my similar truck with no chains and empty bed, but a few hundred pounds in the back helps a lot, and by the time I chain it up (which I admit I do as seldom as possible), it does just as well on ice (though at seriously limited speeds) and much better for pushing through unplowed snow. All in all, I`d prefer a FWD car in bad weather, but a 2WD truck isn`t THAT bad with weight and/or chains. I`ve never had studs on a motor vehicle, can`t say about that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    True grit
    Blech!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but I've always been about the right tool for the right job. I see folks on fixes in DC doing really dumb stuff. It makes our relations with drivers so much worse.

A couple of months ago a woman on a fixie was next to me at a light. We got the green and there was a car in the intersection, she ran right into the tail light and cut herself good. The folks in the car were really nice and took her to the ER.

Take the fixie to the velodrome. On the road you need something with control and brakes.

Moderator Moderator
    It got even more festive tonight...this truck went by in both directions, but I have to borrow someone's vid:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ODS2VMlEpFg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The ride home went pretty badly. Despite all my talk, I cheaped out and didn't buy any studded tires after the last big snow. I didn't expect any issues with riding today, but over the course of the day some shit blew in and dropped a few inches, with me still on my relatively very slick not winter tires. Went down pretty hard at low speed within the first mile. Brifter is bent or hopefully just twisted on the bar, still shifted and braked okay. The rest of the bike felt okay for the rest of the ride but I was too cold to check it out when I got home. Landed hard on my hip, so that'll be bruised, and blasted my head on the concrete sidewalk (with a helmet, thank raptor jesus, or I'd be at the hospital right now).

Just ordered the W240s from REI because they actually come in 700c, though they're backordered. I checked last week and they're supposed to be in very soon. I might wind up driving until after Christmas. On the other hand, frustratingly, I've got a strong lead on selling my car that I'm meeting tomorrow over lunch.

Always an adventure, if nothing else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That bad? .... All in all, I`d prefer a FWD car in bad weather, but a 2WD truck isn`t THAT bad with weight and/or chains. I`ve never had studs on a motor vehicle, can`t say about that situation.
    I have driven several pickups and none were like this one. I could be sideways so fast.

The big V6 combined with a 4 speed automatic that engaged like an on/off switch was terrible in limited traction conditions. Trust me. I suspect it would bury itself in a instant in sand. Studs made it barely functional. Without them, and with weight in the back, launching without polishing the snow into ice was a real challenge. One four way stop I think I got to 5 mph by the time I had crossed the intersection. I drove it once on the summer tires and it would slide coming to a stop, too. So I was easing up to intersections and launching oh so carefully and creating a line of cars behind me. Not my usual. A standard and a lot more ability to slowly apply all that torque or a limited slip rear end would have helped a lot. It may have just been this particular example, I kept it out of the ditch and from hitting anyone in 50,000 miles, but I am glad it is someone else's now. My tech had the 2.3 liter and 5 speed and it was an easy driver in winter.

Sanath: sorry to hear about the head contact. I would replace the helmet on principle but at least examine it thoroughly for cracks of any kind. They are meant to break at some impact pressure.

Bedwards Of The West
    I can stay sideways for an entire block and make the next turn like a swiss rally driver with the locker in the back of the Jeep and the front disengaged But when I want to be civilized it will do that too. Sometimes I miss driving it when I head to work on the bike in the snow

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I know people outside the County of Angels think it is sunshine all the time, but this morning, it was really cold!!!! It had to be close the freezing temps!!! Aside from that, the morning ride was 10 minutes faster!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Amber road conditions, that means no bikes will be ridden on base. In a nutshell, it was snowing and I had to drive the car.

Only been commuting for a couple weeks, my day starts off so much better with a ride in, muscles not sore, feel energized etc etc.

Moderator Moderator
    Sanath, hope you are feeling ok this morning - amazing how fast and hard a bike can go down, even at slower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Related, we got a propane delivery last week at a record price- $4.88 per gallon! Time to start calling around and see if I can do something cheaper. For the other propane users on board, what kind of prices are you paying?
    That's not half right. My propane was delivered yesterday for $3.47. I was shocked that the gauge already said zero, but it was wrong, only 66 gallons fit in the 120 gallon tank.

mtbr member
    I can stay sideways for an entire block and make the next turn like a swiss rally driver with the locker in the back of the Jeep and the front disengaged But when I want to be civilized it will do that too. Sometimes I miss driving it when I head to work on the bike in the snow
    My brother and I used to do power slides down a wide nicely graveled road 2 concessions north of where we lived. Helped with the MGB, Alfa Romeo, and Mustang Turbo. They could be drifted nicely. However, power sliding at 0-5 mph with the tiniest bit of throttle when you are just trying to get down the road in a civil fashion is not an endearing trait. Especially when a break away and a 180 is threatening so hard.

mtbr member
    I really need to actually read the weather forecasts, instead of just looking at the temperature. It's warmed up a bit (5F) and I don't have anything planned after work, so this morning I was debating whether to take the bigbike or the fixie. I sortof randomly chose the bigbike, since it's been awhile since I've hit the trails. Then I get to work and see that we're supposed to get 6" of snow today, which would have really sucked if I'd taken the fixie.

Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    Take the fixie to the velodrome. On the road you need something with control and brakes.
    You apparently missed the two times that I mentioned that I'm keeping my brakes.

After 3 days on the fixie, this morning I had forgotten how to coast. That was a much stranger sensation than the first fixed ride was.
    I knew exactly what I wanted to do - level the pedals to pop up the front wheel - but my legs absolutely refused to do it. They just hung there stupidly, waiting for some pressure from the pedals. It took me a couple of blocks and a couple of stops to figure it out again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    blockphi, what did you do today since they canceled your bus service due to the icy roads???
    Sat on my butt at home and fumed that no weather happened!

Why couldn't they have canceled service today? It was 27mph steady winds from the north when I left, gusting to 35+. A few times I was stopped in my tracks by the wind. Though, once I turned onto Trunk road, the wind was a nice booster, but a bit hairy with the mix of drifted snow, frozen road grime, and glare ice. I ended up going over right at the end of my ride when I hit a patch of glare ice at the exact same moment that the wind gusted. Right now feeling fine, but I might be a bit stiff and sore tomorrow. And it looks like the windy conditions will persist at least until the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So cold I had to up the pace (I could feel the frost forming on my jacket!) - new Strava record in -7c

New thermal softshell on the way in the mail!
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    In my head, my commute was just like this: