Page 244 of 591 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 254 294 344 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 14765
    I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Fulltime for me is 180 miles and 11,000 feet of ascent per week.
    That's awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    It's officially Fatbike Friday! No better way to breakup the weekly commute than rolling a Fatback to work!

Goose Lake

Chester Creek

mtbr member
    I reached the approach to the last hill home after a 37 mile ride at the same time a following vehicle was a third of a mile behind me. I should have beat them to the stop easily even with a head wind and only about 18 mph to start if they had not been speeding excessively. I was out of the saddle climbing taking the lane as the road is narrow. My pulse over 170 (it was dropping and had dropped to that when I looked when it was over). Stop sign at the crest and it is a blind hill. I was within 100 feet of the stop sign.

Indiana has automatic reckless driving charges for passing on a blind hill, and within one hundred feet of a stop sign. You guessed it, this lead-footed dolt behind started to pass, just as I crested, when they could see nothing, and I could see an oncoming vehicle not quite to the stop. A sudden left arm with fingers fully splayed got the driver to reconsider. Apparently THAT signal was understood! Just what I needed over max heart rate: some adrenalin! Good the heart is responding well to treatment!

There was no way the driver could get by and back in safely. I have left one driver out to dry on my left at that stop sign in the wrong lane before. I was fed bumper once there and barely got stopped and wasn't fast enough to throw my water bottle (stainless), but that isn't happening again.

I got the signal from a safe cycling web page the I do not remember. I was ready to take the lawn on the right (I know the owners) and beat on the side of the pickup if needed. I rolled the stop and signaled my left at the next T about 800 feet ahead. This time the driver stopped at the intersection and then held back until I got my left (I was on the centerline discouraging anything else). If the driver had only been as considerate in the first place. Some of the Bike Month celebrations around here, I guess.

Being seen helps. But we still have to trust they don't do something really bone-headed and cell phones stack the deck for ossification. Nice to know the signal works and the 32mm tires do very well on grass.

My POV popped its mount and suffered a shattered lens earlier on the ride. It's replaceable, I'm not, so I am not too fussed losing a $300 camera that way. Stayin' alive....

BrianMc

weirdo
    180 and 11,000. I think I could squeeze that in around work for ONE week. For me to do do it full time would have to mean unemployment. You`re a maniac, W!

Yowza, Brian! Did you consider chucking your water bottle even though car decided to stay behind?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Damn fine looking fatbike Jordy! :jealous:

mtbr member
    Report from Crawfordsville, after 50 mile ride from West Lafayette, Indiana.

Wind 10-20 in the face from about the 15 mile point. Averaged 14.5 keeping the pulse below 140 most of the time. Felt like two dragging brakes and panniers full of groceries.

Kept hearing this small voice saying "Are we there yet?" for the last 5 miles. There is no back seat. Hmmm. Sunburned in spite of sun tan and lotion. Maybe wind burned? Got the butt toughened up enough, but was glad to be out of the saddle. Terre Haute after about 70 miles tomorrow. Once called the armpit of the midwest for the smell of fertilizer and abattoir companies and the farm pesticide adds on ag production shows on TV, Though I don't think I want to live there, it isn't as bad as when Johnny Carson labeled it so. I am accessing the forum through someone's unsecured home network so have to cut it short.

Still crankin'

BrianMc

Indiana's got me. For now.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Doh, headwinds! Well, better than funnels. Was it hot? Keep up the good work!
    Enjoy and ride safe. And no tornadoes!

Moderator Moderator
    Nice going Brian, way to keep your head down and keep pedaling. Hope the wind is easier on you all today.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Back In The Saddle Again

¡Buenos Días! - My first Maine commute was 32 degrees after a week in Cozumel's mid 80s - Welcome home. It's alright though, it was windless and it is starting to look like spring. I don't think I've been off a bike that long in over a year.

OK, now it's time to try and figure out what I was doing at work when I left.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My commute was pretty ordinary, but when I got to work I found someone's bike parked in MY spot in the warehouse. I'm trying to shrug it off and not be all passive aggressive about it. I like the guy's enthusiasm and willingness to ride to work, but that was my spot.

I might just move my crap and find a new spot. It's kind of a trivial issue, really.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ you should have peed on it. (The spot-to mark it, not the other guy's bike, although that would have sent a message too.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^ you should have peed on it. (The spot-to mark it, not the other guy's bike, although that would have sent a message too.)
    I did, but I should have eaten more asparagus beforehand.

weirdo
    ^^Ha! Now you guys tell me the trick! I should have learned that one when I was parking with the other hordes of bike commuters at work (well, realtively). Now that I park illegally around by the back door, there`s nobody else to steal MY spot.

Buenos dias, Sr Bedwards! Did you eat enough tacos and churros to get good and fat?

No snow yet for Roy219. Are you in the southern hemisphere, Roy? Or just meaning no snow lately?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This whole situation with the new guy is funny. At lunch, I put my stuff down at the table in the break room and went to heat my food. When I went to sit down, I found that the dude had put his food in front of the spot I was about to sit in. He's a nice guy, and I know for a fact he has no idea what's going on, which makes the whole situation funny rather than annoying.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I ate MOUNDS of food (all-inclusive) but avoided all breads, sweets (except for many, many many drinks) and heavy carbs and I lost 2 lbs. I was fairly active but no biking, running or anything like that. I'm a believer the low carb thing now and it's pretty easy when there are piles of meat available. Kind of a PITA at home but I'm going to try to continue it.

mtbr member
    As with every day's commute: Awesome! Finally back to about my "normal" route - a 6.93 miler from my house, around the universities (APU/UAA) along the Campbell Creek trail and to my office.

This morning was gloriously sunny and about the perfect temp. Wish I had brought my camera with to capture just how beautiful Anchorage can be. God, I love this place!

mtbr member
    I didn't ride this morning because it looked like we were due for some thunderstorms, but as per usual for weatherman in Iowa they were way off on the forecast and the sun has been out since 10 AM. I did ride back to work after lunch though and it is a beautiful day. Tomorrow I'm going to take the scenic route and try to extend my morning ride to about 10 miles (it's usually 1.2).
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    s0ckeyeus, you should make a "This space is reserved for the cycling employee of the year S0ckeyeus" signs and put it up where you park your bike.

Today is one of those 40 degree temp. swing days here in Seattle. High 30's and clear when I left the house this morning. We are in the mid-70's now. I love these days!

I stayed off my bike this weekend and rested my knee. The swelling is almost gone and it did not hurt at all this morning. Looks like my 100% commute run is going to stay in intact...at least for a while longer!

weirdo
    Whoo, c`mon 100!
    I went for a pretty long ride yesterday to a local lake. On the way home, I had about 25 miles worth of glorious tailwinds, cruising up-trending "steps" at 18 - 20 MPH, which is generally out of the question for me. The really coool part is that I made it out there before the wind started, so I got the reward without ever having to pay. Sometimes that wind isn`t so bad

mtbr member
    May 2012
    mine was awesome. I always had to go easy so as to bnot show up at work drenched in sweat, but i just joined the otherwise shitty gym in the basement of the office building, just so I'd have use of their showers. makes so much difference.

Moderator Moderator
    Bedwards, I went through your neck of the woods Saturday/Sunday on my way to & from a Cinco de Mayo get together in N. Yarmouth. I saw a bald eagle on 302 right near the Sebago boat launch; it was flying and being chased by a few crows. On the way I stopped for a nice trail ride in the White Mountains. Yesterday was the big 5-0 and beautiful weather so I took the day off and hiked up Mt Ellen, one of VT’s 4000 footers. Only pic though is the dog jumping for the last snowball of the year. Then a BBQ and overnighted at my friend’s, so I drove in today. Just as well, it’s raining and blowing and my legs are sore from the hike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-aap5051890.jpg  

How was your commute today?-aap5051892.jpg  

How was your commute today?-aap5051893.jpg  

How was your commute today?-aap5071896.jpg  

mtbr member
    Had a great commute both last night and this morning. Sunday morning on the way home had my crank-arm come loose, had to call a taxi for the last 8 mi home, forgot my new helmet where I was broke down at . Monday I found my helmet (in tact), and learned that I won't have to completely replace crank, just the left retaining cap. Went and got my emergency back up bike ( A WallyWorld Schwinn Avenue that has most all parts upgraded except fork and brifters) and rode like always. Weird thing is on the old bike which is @ 8-10 pounds heavier, and doesn't fit as well, I still shaved 10 min off my time going to work last night .
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Bedwards, I went through your neck of the woods Saturday/Sunday on my way to & from a Cinco de Mayo get together in N. Yarmouth. I saw a bald eagle on 302 right near the Sebago boat launch; it was flying and being chased by a few crows.
    You were about 0.5 miles from my house then. I'll keep my eye out for the eagle. Ironically, flying out of Mexico on Cinco de Mayo means you don't celebrate it at all because you are sitting in airports all day.

Today's AM commute was nice, I missed the rain by 1 min. I'm hoping it breaks for my ride home too. I added some layout bars to my Bridgstone and it now looks like a bull moose with the bar ends and tri-bars. I'll post a pic in the commuter photos or wind thread when I take one.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Only pic though is the dog jumping for the last snowball of the year.
    Still snow? Wow, we don`t have any until waaay up in the high elevations. The good part of having a light snow year is that all the mountain passes are open super early. It`s going to get ugly this summer, though

Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Had a great commute both last night and this morning. Sunday morning on the way home had my crank-arm come loose, had to call a taxi for the last 8 mi home, forgot my new helmet where I was broke down at . Monday I found my helmet (in tact), and learned that I won't have to completely replace crank, just the left retaining cap. Went and got my emergency back up bike ( A WallyWorld Schwinn Avenue that has most all parts upgraded except fork and brifters) and rode like always. Weird thing is on the old bike which is @ 8-10 pounds heavier, and doesn't fit as well, I still shaved 10 min off my time going to work last night .
    Bummer getting a double whammy- did having both problems turn out okay make up for the distress? You work nights too?

mtbr member
    Day 2 (Monday no internet so late & forgot my camera phone USB so no pics till I.m home: Well, today was a bit more interesting than planned. Sixty- nine point four miles. I retired after 35 miles with equipment malfunction. Near the end of a half mile of mostly downhill and doing about 20 mph in spite of some headwind, I came to a driveway washout across the road which looked flat but he gravel and sand undulated in bands and I was being passed so couldn’t go left. The ridges of deposits set up a bucking horse resonance that ousted one of my stainless water bottles from its cage and it bounced under my tire that then flipped it into the spokes. You can’t make this sort of thing up. Two spokes gone and a deep vee rim toasted, and fender bent, mounting bolt ripped out. No Velocity Deep Vee rim in Terre Haute. I was doing pretty well, too for an old rider on a bike that with what I was carrying, was at least twice the weight of the stripped racing bikes. Then theer is my spare tire. This volunteer work is getting expensive. I called Kathryn and sent The Duchess home, rather than have it banged up in the luggage van. I ride a ‘loaner’ with my pedals and blinky on it.

BrianMc