Page 243 of 631 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 253 293 343 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 15770
    I Ride for Donuts
    They installed porta-potties on my commute route!
    Temporarily I guess, but I think it means that the new pavement is going to happen after all. I'll have to deal with construction for a bit (but not too long... commuterboy jr. is due any day now and I'm taking some time off)

On the Stans tube injection.... the easiest is to use schrader valves wtih removable cores (pretty much all schrader valves have removable cores) then you put it in there just like putting slime in the tires of your rideable lawn mower or car a little piece of tubing helps so you can squirt it in.
    If you can only fit presta valves on your rims and don't want to drill out for schrader valves, there are a couple different companies that make presta valves with removable cores (google it and you'll find some...kenda makes them for sure, but there are others). it's hard to get the goo in a non-removable presta valve, but you can do it if you hold the valve upside down while you squirt it in using a piece of tubing and have lots of patience. I made a tool for this once using one of those little medical snot-sucking bulbs for babies and a little piece of tubing... works like a turkey baster. I used non-removable core prestas for my ghetto tubeless set-up, and I didn't want to break the bead of the tire to re-inject sealant. It worked, but it probably takes less time just to break the bead and start over

Also, go to the 29er components forum and find the "best tubeless brew" thread. You can make a gallon of tubeless sealant in your garage for under $20 that will last you years. I've been using homebrew sealant for 3 years now. There are a few recipies in that thread, but mine went 10 months without drying out, no topping off, no flats.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Bummer, Ender. I guess by changing tires at least you`ll be able to know for sure whether the problem is in the tire or in the rim strip. I think you`d have seen it if it were the strip, though.

Another Junior, CB? By the time you get them all pedalling you`ll have a whole peloton following you along the MUT!

You sound happier about the roadwork than I usually am. It has to be really bad before I prefer the hassle of construction to potholes and cracks. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that the front way in to my neighborhood was done three times and the back way (my commute route) was done twice within about a five year span.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Is it really worth the hassle of injecting a stadard tube? I was at REI yesterday and bought a couple of tubes. They were selling slime tubes for only $1 more. If I were riding tubeless I coud see buying Stans or mixing up my own, but for a buck more I think I would just buy the slime tube and be done with it.

I Ride for Donuts
    I don't think the slime seals as well as either stans or the homebrew stuff. To me it's worth it when you mix up your own sealant... with that and the 5 pack of tubes from pricepoint for super cheap, you are saving quite a bit. I've been tubeless for a while though, maybe the slime ones have improved...

and yes Rodar, I'm stoked on the construction... It's sort of a loop road, and when I hit it I can go left when they're working on the right, and right when they're working on the left... should be able to avoid the bulk of the hassle... going right adds 3 miles to my usual 6. Not a big deal.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ender. View Post
    And yet another flat again this morning, 3 in 3 days, I am on a roll! At least I have become a pro at getting a tire on and off! lol
    I think you are now officially an "expert". When you re-check the tire, be aware that the offending debris can be really small and hard to find. The last culprit I found was a little piece of wire about the size of 1 strand of a bike cable. Glass can also work its way into the tire and kind of disappear with the tread. Gremlins are to blame for about 1% of flats, and they are never found.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I don't think the slime seals as well as either stans or the homebrew stuff. To me it's worth it when you mix up your own sealant... with that and the 5 pack of tubes from pricepoint for super cheap, you are saving quite a bit. I've been tubeless for a while though, maybe the slime ones have improved...

and yes Rodar, I'm stoked on the construction... It's sort of a loop road, and when I hit it I can go left when they're working on the right, and right when they're working on the left... should be able to avoid the bulk of the hassle... going right adds 3 miles to my usual 6. Not a big deal.
    Oh look summer is here and winter boots went on sale

Shimano MW81 Gore-Tex Winter SPD Boots | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Good lookin out. Thanks.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Commuted every day in May so far, gotta keep it up! Tomorrow if Fatbike Friday's, should be a nice fun changeup to the normal 9 miles i've been putting on each way...

mtbr member
    Another rough week for double-commuting. Cloudy, windy, rainy, and heading back to work at lunch I got hailed on. Bah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had a funny/awkward moment yesterday. The cleaning people were in the office and all the floors in the bathrooms I usually change in were wet. So I decided to improvise and change in a small room we have in the warehouse. The room has a big window on one wall and a small window in the door. I figured I would have enough time to change and get out before anyone came back there. Well...just as I was leaving, I heard a door close. I looked out the window in the door and saw my boss walking around. I decided to wait it out. It turns out, he wasn't just going out into the warehouse. He was looking for me, and eventually he spotted me. It was a bit awkward, but he was cool about the whole thing. At least I was fully dressed.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    s0ck, sounds almost like mine situation, hate using the bathrooms which are quite a distance away, so I often use co-workers "offices" which had doors that close, most of the time I can get in and out in a few seconds to strip off my shorts without anyone noticing, but every once in a while...;p I know they don't care or I wouldn't do it but its still funny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh the awkward changing in the morning moments... I get the cleaning lady coming in every once in a while to the restroom I change in.

...and I think I found what was causing the flats... a small piece of shell/gravel was lodged in the worn smooth center part of my tire. I am glad I at the very least, found something in the tire. Just hope it was it. For now though, I will leave the slick on the rear and the Kenda Kwick up front, I like the goofy look. lol

CB, thanks for explaining the stans/homebrew in the tubes. I have thought about tubeless but I really want another set of wheels that I can do road rides with and hopefully a few CX races next season. I will keep dreaming for now though...

And a few pics, since I think I mentioned gators before, these guys(girls?) are usually in the same spot on my way home.

And the trusted steed. I really need to get my rack put on, still looking for a set of panniers.

"I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    i don't normally commute to work (i live roughly 500 yards away) but today we met up about 7.5 miles away. I got about 6 miles before i got a flat.
    there is an explanation for why i was unable to do anything about it, but it's embarassing.
    suffice to say, i pushed it the last mile and a half.
    STILL more fun than driving.

mtbr member
    Technically not today, as the forum topic, but I had the camera on sequential 30 sec stills on Tuesday (Storm) and Wednesday (no storm) and just got through them. I picked some that match up to show what a difference a day can make:

Heading out Tuesday:

Heading out Wednesday:

Following Front out of sanctuary Tuesday

About same place a day later:

Further the front is pulling ahead:

About the same spot the next day:

Thunderhead building Tuesday:

Wednesday:

It builds more:

Wednesday:

Almost Home Wednesday:

The camera mount shifted so unlike me, the frames lean left. Tilt your head or monitor whichever is easier.

BrianMc

weirdo
    No excitement on my commute, but the Caddy Shack adventure I`m having with a particular squirrel is getting kind of intense at home. For some reason, it`s bound and determined that I need a tunnel under my back steps. I started with just filling in the hole (dug it back out), then escalated into arranging bricks and rocks over the entrance (dug a longer tunnel to get under the obstacles), then nailed wire mesh to the ground (even longer tunnel), now dumping cayenne pepper around (jury is still out). Pretty soon it`s going to be a job for Mr Mossberg.

Searching my memory banks, I don`t think I`ve ever seen a gator except in a zoo. Are they generally agressive?

Pretty neat comparison, Brian. I`m sure looking at them is more fun than riding in it, al least on the storm day.

Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    there is an explanation for why i was unable to do anything about it, but it's embarassing.
    There you`ve done it. If you had just told us that you ended up pushing your bike, it would have passed unnoticed. But NOW you have us wondering about the embarrasing mystery explanation

mtbr member
    There you`ve done it. If you had just told us that you ended up pushing your bike, it would have passed unnoticed. But NOW you have us wondering about the embarrasing mystery explanation
    haha fair enough...i've been having a lot of trouble with flats lately, so i was all out of spare tubes. i had a bunch coming in the mail, so i didn't buy a spare when i went to the store. then i got home and discovered that i had mistakenly bought a shraeder tube. it *sort of* fit through the hole in my rim so i just put it on there and tried it out. when it first started losing pressure, i stopped to pump it back up (only had to get a little ways down the road at that point) and that's when i remembered that when i set up my pump for presta valves, i threw away the little plastic piece that goes inside the pump head to depress the valve core on shraeder tubes. with no spare tubes and an ineffective pump, there was nothing left to do but walk.

all of these mistakes would be embarassing enough for a newbie, but i've been riding bikes since the mid 90s...

Still want a fat bike....
    Second commute on the new Ogre and I am lovin it. It is so nice to have some gears on a bike. I was thinking about converting my old Kona Unit SS 26er to a winter beater, but I don't know if I could go back to SS now. lol

Today is also the first day I've given the weather man the finger and rode anyway. I tend to be a fair weather commuter and when there are storms I stay off the bike. I want to change that and today is a good day for change so I rode anyway even tho there are scattered storms all day. Personally I think there won't be any rain, but..... famous last words, right?

KCCO
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I'm having a bit of a rough week and I am happy it's friday. Sometime during the week, I did something to my left knee. It's swollen and has fluid in it. I don't remember bashing it, but maybe I did it when Mountain Biking last weekend and it took a couple days to show up. "So what's the big deal?", you might ask, "Just take a few days off.". Well, I am trying to go 100% bike commuting this year. I've got a perfect record so far and hate to give it up. That's why I am happy it's friday...a little rest this weekend and I hope my knee is good to go next week.
    Good luck Woodway.... just ride slow. Keep it up!

PS - I love when someone replies and their post shows up before the OP. I am psychic and typed out Woodway's post before he even posted it... put it in the quotes tho as to not scare anyone.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Riding with knee pain

I'm having a bit of a rough week and I am happy it's friday. Sometime during the week, I did something to my left knee. It's swollen and has fluid in it. I don't remember bashing it, but maybe I did it when Mountain Biking last weekend and it took a couple days to show up. "So what's the big deal?", you might ask, "Just take a few days off.". Well, I am trying to go 100% bike commuting this year. I've got a perfect record so far and hate to give it up. That's why I am happy it's friday...a little rest this weekend and I hope my knee is good to go next week.

I Ride for Donuts
    I thought I was the only one with that power Dalton... hope you heal up quick woodway!

Someone talked me into running an uphill 5k last night... it was not just uphill, but it finished by shooting 1.5 miles up to the top of the steepest trail we've got...difficult to clear on the mountian bike without screwing up and putting a foot down. I am hurtin' for certain this morning. Not sure why runners do that kind of thing. I was able to run the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure I almost died.

Beautiful morning around here... spotted this guy. The weak storm system we've had for a couple days is basically stuck on those mountains...supposed to roll out of here today for another beautiful weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

weirdo
    I thought I was the only one with that power Dalton...
    Yeah, I thought you were too, so I found myself scanning backwards for Woodway`s post! I gave up at the top of the page before I scrolled back down to realize Dalton`s new talent.

I`m wishing you a successful rest weekend, Woodway. I`m also trying ONCE AGAIN for that magic 100, and so far this is the furthest I`ve made it. Good luck to us!

I Ride for Donuts
    I should also mention that if I ever saw an alligator on my commute I would scream like a little girl and pee myself.

I should also mention that if I ever saw an alligator on my commute I would scream like a little girl and pee myself.
    Me too, but mainly because I live in the city and in Michigan.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Lol

I guess living in FL for the majority of my life, seeing them is just like seeing a bird to me. They are not known to be aggressive creatures, most of the time if they attack people, it is because someone has been feeding them. They are known for eating small animals and a man was just attacked around here recently trying to get his golf ball of of a pond... but it is thought that someone was feeding that gator too. (Which is why it is also illegal to feed them)

I kayak every once in a while and actually being in the water with them is a very humbling experience. Check out these guys, they can be seen regularly around a local boat ramp. I think they are almost 12 footers.

... and now back to your regularly scheduled commuting thread.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Good luck Woodway.... just ride slow. Keep it up!

PS - I love when someone replies and their post shows up before the OP. I am psychic and typed out Woodway's post before he even posted it... put it in the quotes tho as to not scare anyone.
    Thanks Dalton. And if I hit "Submit Reply" and then see that you have already replied to this post before I typed it, I am going to be asking you for stock recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I`m wishing you a successful rest weekend, Woodway. I`m also trying ONCE AGAIN for that magic 100, and so far this is the furthest I`ve made it. Good luck to us!
    Thanks rodar! Fulltime for me is 180 miles and 11,000 feet of ascent per week. I hope I don't crack before the year is up...

I would be looking around for Rod Serling...