Page 243 of 421 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast
Results 12,101 to 12,150 of 21023
  1. #12101
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wait a minute- you just finished telling me that it`s GPS based, so how could you NOT find the route again?
    If you don't hit the proper start point, it won't "catch" the segment...so it won't realize you're on the same route you were on before, if you're, say, 40 feet to the left of where you were when you created the start of the segment. No big deal on a trail system, but you'd better have your bearings on a wide open lake if you want to ride the segment again.

    You guys got way more out of this storm than we did. Some friends drove over there yesterday and confirmed that we basically got missed. Still have a dusting here and there this morning, 10 degrees for the commute, and dry roads.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  2. #12102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,258
    ^^ somehow the blizzard turned our roads from a shifty, unconsolidated mess to beautiful hardpack. It had been weeks and things just would not firm up, but the extra snow and colder temperatures of the last few days have magically resulted in perfect road conditions. Assuming it's not crazy-cold I might even take my backup bike later this week.

  3. #12103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,723
    I did my first work commute today! It was supposed to be 17 miles on Google Maps, ended up being 19.5 on Strava, about 40 degrees. 6 baby wipes and some deodorant and I'm good to go.

    I realize this is old hat for most of you, but I had some body smell anxiety, etc, and it was unfounded. I will shower at the local community center in the warmer months.

    I can only do this twice a week due to my family schedule, but that adds like 70-80 miles a week to my usual 7-20 miles of mountain biking, so I am super stoked about this. Way more fun than sitting on the highway!
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  4. #12104
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,513
    ^ congrats!! I worried about the body smell as well.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

  5. #12105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Texan-n-Fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    864

    How was your commute today?

    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I did my first work commute today! It was supposed to be 17 miles on Google Maps, ended up being 19.5 on Strava, about 40 degrees. 6 baby wipes and some deodorant and I'm good to go.

    I realize this is old hat for most of you, but I had some body smell anxiety, etc, and it was unfounded. I will shower at the local community center in the warmer months.

    I can only do this twice a week due to my family schedule, but that adds like 70-80 miles a week to my usual 7-20 miles of mountain biking, so I am super stoked about this. Way more fun than sitting on the highway!
    Nice to have you join us loons!
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

  6. #12106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blockphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,382
    I've never showered after my commute and haven't had any issues with smell at all. And I sweat. A lot. I should say no one has ever mentioned that I smell. Maybe I do. Great, now I'm all worried about it!

    My first winter of commuting I never had any BO, but my gear did give a bit of a funk to my office as I had only one of everything and only washed it once a week to try to keep it from breaking down too fast - by Thursday folks generally stayed out of my office, which, I guess, was fine by me. Now that I have more gear and swap it out every day or every other day, it's not an issue.

  7. #12107
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,218
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    If you don't hit the proper start point, it won't "catch" the segment...so it won't realize you're on the same route you were on before,

    You guys got way more out of this storm than we did. Some friends drove over there yesterday and confirmed that we basically got missed. Still have a dusting here and there this morning, 10 degrees for the commute, and dry roads.
    Sigh...
    However acurate a GPS receiver is, if it`s accurate enough to know that you`re "off track", it should be accurate enough that you can get back "on track". I mean, that was the original point of the whole deal, wasn`t it? Sheesh!

    Yeah, this must have been a fairly isolated storm. Local news reports a slew of emergency traffic calls al the way across the north side of town, not so much on the south side. Couldn`t get any solid hits on "tahoe snow" that dealt with yesterday, and the few resorts that have their snow reports up didn`t show anything interresting. It didn`t do much drought busting, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I did my first work commute today!
    Whooo! Buy yourself an extra donut this week
    Don`t worry about stink- biker odor is sexy. I just learned that a couple days ago on another thread (don`t remember which one), and it`s a good thing because I haven`t bathed since I started bike commuting several years ago. Well, not on purpose anyway- I did get rained on while riding in the Seattle area on vacation a couple months ago.
    Recalculating....

  8. #12108
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    740

    How was your commute today?

    9* F and snowing this morning in Denver!!
    Whiskey

  9. #12109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SurlyBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    42
    ^^^ Thats my morning commute too! Except i start on that trail where the cherry & platte meet, then head north. It was cold but I bundled up nicely so it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. Also decided to take the El Mariachi instead of the usuall Cross Check, for a little more stability.
    "Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter."

  10. #12110
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Sigh...
    However acurate a GPS receiver is, if it`s accurate enough to know that you`re "off track", it should be accurate enough that you can get back "on track". I mean, that was the original point of the whole deal, wasn`t it? Sheesh!
    Well if you had it mounted on the bars and were watching the map, it would be easy... I usually just turn on strava and throw the phone in my backpack or a pocket. You can totally follow a very accurate little red line if you want to do it that way, yes. But everyone I know who uses it just turns it on, sticks it in a pocket, and then turns it off after the ride. If you've ridden any 'segments', they show up and it tells you how you did when you 'sync' your ride in the parking lot. I've never actually watched it while I was riding. But I have missed a few segments that I knew were there because of going around the official start point on accident, like if there is a split in the trail.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  11. #12111
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    such a good commute today. I moved into my friend's refurbished water tank to be closer to school. I had been commuting 80-100 minutes a day just for school but wanted to be able to commute and do my errands with some more time as well as be able to climb and run and have some energy in the day. (I eat so much!) Now I run a quarter mile up the hill to the tank. Definitely not a bachelor pad, but for a kid in community college, whatever. I saved up enough money to make it work for a while without having to go to work. I order a Surly Bill Trailer and a Bob Yak trailer and have the Highlander for sale. Sleeping with long johns, sipping tea on cold mornings looking out on the valley before rolling down the hill and on my way.

    yeahhh

  12. #12112
    Natural Born Killer
    Reputation: nemhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    370
    ^^Sounds cool, ehigh, but I will need to see some pictures of your "pad".
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

  13. #12113
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847

    How was your commute today?

    My car got stolen, I'm so ****ing mad right now. I feel like beating the **** out of all the ****ers out there and I barely can contain myself from punching the wall. Actually since we don't use it much, it's just today we realize it was gone when we were getting ready to go out. Turns out it was stolen right in front of my house, at 5:27am on Monday morning. We got footage of the guy breaking in and somehow by-passing the anti-start and drive away. Even more enraging is that I was sleeping with the blinds always open in a way the light gets in and you can see outside, but can't see inside and my big window give right on the street and exactly on the car. I can't believe this ****. I love that car and they don't make them anymore. Plus I had left a vintage tree-saw from my dad in there since I was supposed to go cut down some wood later this week and its gone too. Its so ****ty things like that happens.

    On the other hand, I got my new spokes for my carbon wheels today.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  14. #12114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jhmeathead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    178
    Wasnt terrible this morning. But this road is lined with warehouses on each side so its like a huge wind tunnel. brr

    How was your commute today?-morning.jpg

  15. #12115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,141
    Strada blaster?

    The JET Bicycle - The most dangerous unsafe bike EVER - YouTube

    Keeps people from tailgating, too!

  16. #12116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    Almost commuted in snow this morning. Snowing when I woke up. By the time my feet hit the peddles it was done though. 36 degrees for the ride in, so the snow didn't stick of course. 47 degrees for the ride home. Supposed to be in the mid-twenties tonight with the morning just as cold. Not sure I want to peddle in that, but I might. Coldest commute last winter was 29F on several mornings. I sat out the only two mornings it dipped into mid-twenties (24F and 25F on two mornings in January). Think my hottest commute was 117F last summer so I might have to grab a coldest commute tomorrow. We'll see.

  17. #12117
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    My car got stolen, I'm so ****ing mad right now. I feel like beating the **** out of all the ****ers out there and I barely can contain myself from punching the wall. Actually since we don't use it much, it's just today we realize it was gone when we were getting ready to go out. Turns out it was stolen right in front of my house, at 5:27am on Monday morning. We got footage of the guy breaking in and somehow by-passing the anti-start and drive away. Even more enraging is that I was sleeping with the blinds always open in a way the light gets in and you can see outside, but can't see inside and my big window give right on the street and exactly on the car. I can't believe this ****. I love that car and they don't make them anymore. Plus I had left a vintage tree-saw from my dad in there since I was supposed to go cut down some wood later this week and its gone too. Its so ****ty things like that happens.
    Sorry to hear. I know the feeling...a hit and run driver once totaled my parked car right across the street from my 1st floor apartment and I didn't hear a thing until a cop knocked on my door. It was a '73 Dart my grandfather gave me when he stopped driving, and it only had about 20K on it.

  18. #12118
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    No bikecommute today because that bad boy (the black one) took off on our walk on a deer scent for about a half hour and 3.9 miles (he has a tracking collar). Sigh. At least he didn't herd the deer back this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post

  19. #12119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spatialized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    172
    Cool this morning, then rain & sleet this afternoon, fun in a sick and twisted way. Temps are going to drop the next couple of days and there's a threat of snow but I'm not putting much faith in that right now. Who knows, I might wake up to snow tomorrow.

  20. #12120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Texan-n-Fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    864

    How was your commute today?

    No commute, still working on the new house. Won't be riding again tomorrow. Spent the evening moving furniture and ripping up all the carpet. Tomorrow it's time to bleach and kilz the walls (previous owner smoked for 30 years inside), replace the oven, and scrape the ceiling of popcorn to do a drop down. All while doing a production blitz at work so that we can take extra time off around Christmas without the big wigs at corporate finding out.

    I'll be back to regular commuting on Monday, after we get all moved in this weekend.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

  21. #12121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    421
    Today was a day off, but had that not been the case I would've found myself face-to-face with the local SWAT team...they were just going in to a house two doors down from mine, at the usual time I head out! Lemme tell you, nothing breaks the cool morning silence like four stun grenades exploding...it sounded like someone was getting blown away with a shotgun right outside. Resting heartrate to max in like two seconds! BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM

  22. #12122
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,218
    Aw man, that sucks David! Sorry to hear about the saw, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    ^^Sounds cool, ehigh, but I will need to see some pictures of your "pad".
    Definitely need more info on the pad!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    No bikecommute today because that bad boy (the black one) took off on our walk on a deer scent for about a half hour and 3.9 miles (he has a tracking collar). Sigh. At least he didn't herd the deer back this time.
    Hehe, I take it he did herd them on a previous break? That`s funny! It`ll be even funnier if you upload his collar track to Strava and watch somebody go crashing through the trees and brush and rock piles trying to beat the KOM. Still have Strava on my mind, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    Lemme tell you, nothing breaks the cool morning silence like four stun grenades exploding...it sounded like someone was getting blown away with a shotgun right outside. Resting heartrate to max in like two seconds! BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM
    Whoa, I guess so! I don`t remember exactly what it was, but it seems Martinsillo had something like that on his old commute route.
    Recalculating....

  23. #12123
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,513
    No commute for me either today. Weather was unseasonably warm, upper 40's when I left for work, and a balmy 59 when I left tonight at 11:30. It was raining, and I don't want to ride in the rain, plus my rear wheel is disassembled, waiting for my 16t cog to show up from JensonUSA. Probably will be the warmest day of the month, as temps are supposed to head back down to normal December winter temps in the next week.

    Sorry to hear about the stolen car, what kind was it?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3281/6000

  24. #12124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    300
    -2c this morning but dry, so didn't put on my new spiked tires that I bought for the deeper winter in Jan and Feb... Felt good, so thought I'd head on a slightly longer run before work.

    After a climb to maybe 400m I hit the ice/snow level and found my usual trail too icy to ride Oh well, I tried.
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD (29er)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

  25. #12125
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hehe, I take it he did herd them on a previous break? That`s funny!
    Oh yes, I had to jump behind a tree because I thought the deer was going to run right through me. Of course he kept in hot pursuit, but darned if he didn't bring that deer back to me in another 10 minutes. Have to break him of it though or he'll either have to be on leash or will be shot by somebody, plus I don't want him harassing the wildlife anyway.

  26. #12126
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iamcanadn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6

    How was your commute today?

    Rode in this morning at 5am it was 6c. Very little wind and no rain, nice and pleasant ride.

  27. #12127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    384
    Oof. Off the bike for 2 days because of my schedule/idiocy, slow going this morning. Trail was passable but wet, except for a downed tree I had to climb over. The entire length of the trail smelled like a wet dog.

  28. #12128
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,435
    Another cold one this morning in the single-digit range. Dry, cold, and clear.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  29. #12129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blockphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,382
    No commute for me today. Working from home as I have a project for a client who competes with my main client, so probably not best to mix the two... and it's freezing drizzle out. Schools in the area have been canceled and it sounds like the highway might be a bit slick and schools are canceled, so generally a good day to just stay home anyway. Figure I'll take a few hours after it is light out and put in some single track mileage in lieu of the commute.

  30. #12130
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    35F and climbing to maybe 40 today, so I switched wheels back to the smooth tires; I felt speedy but wasn’t.

  31. #12131
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Reputation: JordyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,445
    Rain on the commute home at 23 degrees last night, made for some soft slow trails. Also, rain froze to my entire body, zippers failed to operate when it came time to undress. Bike, lights, helmet, covered in a thick layer of frozenness...today, working from home!

  32. #12132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,312
    Yesterday's commutes were both in the 60s. It was 63 and raining this morning, but it's 45 now. We're supposed to have ice and snow tonight and tomorrow. Lows are predicted to drop into the single digits Saturday. Kind of crazy weather.

  33. #12133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    Save from a commute this morning by a last minute option to work from home. Had to tend to some pressing matters for our Union president. Which is fine cause it saved me from a 26F commute. Highs today in low 40s. Supposed to be colder tomorrow but I have a vacation day for my daughter's award ceremony. Back on the commuter Monday. Might avoid Blue Diamond this weekend, as it usually runs about 10 degrees colder than here. Not sure I'm ready for mt. biking in the (morning) teens. At least not for fun. . .

  34. #12134
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    Been seeing a lot of bikers lately (OK, 3 in 3 days):

    1. Down on his luck (?) guy on cheap bike on a snowmobile bridge shortcut to the shopping center. Surprised to see him in the dark at the far end of the bridge,but he provided friendly coaching through the unfamiliar route.

    2. A rare salmon rider - luckily (?) he darted across 2 lanes of traffic just before we crossed paths. He did have some kind of headlamp.

    3. "Silent Cal" - my nickname for a well outfitted but quiet commuter who rarely speaks. He passed me silently. VT was the home of President Coolidge, known as Silent Cal for his reserve.

  35. #12135
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847

    How was your commute today?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Sorry to hear. I know the feeling...a hit and run driver once totaled my parked car right across the street from my 1st floor apartment and I didn't hear a thing until a cop knocked on my door. It was a '73 Dart my grandfather gave me when he stopped driving, and it only had about 20K on it.
    The Dart's were nice cars, shame on that guy.

    TenSpeed, it was a 2009 fully equipped Pontiac Montana SV6 extended version. Above $40 000 with the after-market upgrades.

    Rodar, insurance should cover most if not all of the value. Didn't helped we had the keys for the boat in there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  36. #12136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,258
    And there we go: -30C/-22F. Roads were in fantastic shape, though.

    It didn't get this cold last year, so it's been quite awhile since I've really tested my gear. Wore my fancy, duckbilled, jeffscott-recommended goggles for the first time today, and they worked. My old goggles would fog up right at the middle of my ride like clockwork, but these stayed nice and clear. And everything else was good. Fingers and toes didn't even feel a touch of cold, and the rest of me was too warm.

  37. #12137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,814
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And there we go: -30C/-22F. Roads were in fantastic shape, though.

    It didn't get this cold last year, so it's been quite awhile since I've really tested my gear. Wore my fancy, duckbilled, jeffscott-recommended goggles for the first time today, and they worked. My old goggles would fog up right at the middle of my ride like clockwork, but these stayed nice and clear. And everything else was good. Fingers and toes didn't even feel a touch of cold, and the rest of me was too warm.
    Glad the googles worked out for you.

    -26C this morning....I am not riding cause I got a durolane injection in the knee so I am supposed to take it easy for a week.

    Just checked and the temp fell another 2C to -28C.

  38. #12138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iamcanadn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6

    How was your commute today?

    Was about 0C riding in today at 5am in Toronto, roads dry and wind at my back. Not bad, cooler than yesterday but still fairly mild considering.

  39. #12139
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And there we go: -30C/-22F. Roads were in fantastic shape, though.

    It didn't get this cold last year, so it's been quite awhile since I've really tested my gear. Wore my fancy, duckbilled, jeffscott-recommended goggles for the first time today, and they worked. My old goggles would fog up right at the middle of my ride like clockwork, but these stayed nice and clear. And everything else was good. Fingers and toes didn't even feel a touch of cold, and the rest of me was too warm.
    Woohoo, that's awesome that you stayed cozy and frost-free!

  40. #12140
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Glad the googles worked out for you.
    Yup, very nice. All of their snow goggles come with yellow lenses, which I don't like for night riding. So I ended up going with their clear, dual-lens moto goggles instead, and then adding the snowmask.

    I'd thought about just DIYing a mask for my old goggles, but decided that -30C is not the time to screw around.

  41. #12141
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,850
    34F and raining, nobody’s favorite weather, and a sloppy gritty salty mess from the snow leftovers. The Showers Pass jacket and waterproof cap performed admirably, and the Isis shell pants I have looked like hell (they’re lightish grey) but felt super. Supposed to get an inch of snow later, but I think I’ll be OK with the summer tires because the temps will be near freezing and I think it will mostly melt on the roads. Of course those could be famous last words! I have a bus option for all but .75 mile of the route if it’s way worse than I expect. Left my bike in the outside rack because I think any additional rain will actually improve the salt/grit situation.

    Sad to see all this rain the day before Global Fatbike Day – all of our snow (there wasn’t much) is washing away!

  42. #12142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,814
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'd thought about just DIYing a mask for my old goggles, but decided that -30C is not the time to screw around.
    None of my DIY attempts really worked out... All were better than nothing.

  43. #12143
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    34F and raining, nobody’s favorite weather, and a sloppy gritty salty mess from the snow leftovers. The Showers Pass jacket and waterproof cap performed admirably, and the Isis shell pants I have looked like hell (they’re lightish grey) but felt super. Supposed to get an inch of snow later, but I think I’ll be OK with the summer tires because the temps will be near freezing and I think it will mostly melt on the roads. Of course those could be famous last words! I have a bus option for all but .75 mile of the route if it’s way worse than I expect. Left my bike in the outside rack because I think any additional rain will actually improve the salt/grit situation.

    Sad to see all this rain the day before Global Fatbike Day – all of our snow (there wasn’t much) is washing away!
    We've got the same conditions and I was going to take the cross bike but decided to go for the studded version because I've done the famous last words things a few times. The temp was hovering right around 32. We are supposed to get 1-3" overnight. I'm hoping for the 3" so I can take a token fatbike ride tomorrow. I think my fatbike day will be reserved for Moose Brook in January.

  44. #12144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blockphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,382
    Heat wave in Ak for today's commute. 31F at the house and overcast. 32 in Anchorage and light rain/drizzle. The roads weren't bad at all, but there were some slick spots on the trails.

    Got out yesterday for some nice single track riding, but the riding wasn't so grand - punchy snow under ice crust. Lots of hike a bike, but, honestly, better than being stuck inside all day!

  45. #12145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,723
    Rainy night ride home on my second day ever of commuting, nice ride except for a few poor clothing choices, work in progress. Oh and a Dodge Ram turned into a parking lot right in front of me and I went sliding sideways on my Big Apples. Fortunately he stopped. I learned that although I have perfectly adequate lighting, my front lights weren't blinking. So my Flea on my helmet is blinking now, I assume that is better.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  46. #12146
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,218
    Good job, Jared. So much for trying it out in dry winter first! Better luck with the blinkie. I`m not sure how much good they do at night (depends on the situation, I think), but it can`t hurt.

    My ride home last night was a wonderful cap off for me week. Up to 20-something from the previous two nights floating around five to seven, and it started snowing about an hour before I left (yes!), giving me a nearly untouched white carpet to ride on that wasn`t thick enough to hide the remaining ice bumps from the first snow. Kinda yucky this morning. Cloudy and windy with a few inches of new stuff drifted around so I can`t tell how much fell. Supposed to get a little bit more off and on throughout the day. Think I`ll cross my fingers, pack my chains, and head in to town to take care of my mom and dad`s sidewalks and driveways before it gets packed down. I was late getting to it earlier this week and it sucked!
    Recalculating....

  47. #12147
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847

    How was your commute today?

    Still no luck on the car, and haven't commuted by bike since Thursday. I've been spending the late night hours on my carbon wheelset, prepping the spokes and then installing the nipples. Now I just finished lacing the front wheel.

    The weather is freezing and melting, so I'm not even daring to go take a look at the trail's condition, simply judging by my flower garden looking like an abused cyclocross mudfest.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  48. #12148
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jhmeathead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    178
    Snowed like crazy the past two days. Tried but couldnt make it on the roads. My LBS started renting Salsa Muks. I dunno maybe ill rent one for a couple days to see what this fat bike buzz is bout.

    Off topic sometimes i really hate being 5'8" an inbetween bike sizes. my 15" hardrock is a bit small and my 16" giant is a bit big.

  49. #12149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Snowed like crazy the past two days. Tried but couldnt make it on the roads. My LBS started renting Salsa Muks. I dunno maybe ill rent one for a couple days to see what this fat bike buzz is bout.

    Off topic sometimes i really hate being 5'8" an inbetween bike sizes. my 15" hardrock is a bit small and my 16" giant is a bit big.
    So I guess I've finally found a reason to be happy about being 5'7", as all my bikes fit fine. Good luck on the quest to find the perfect fitting bike. . .

  50. #12150
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847

    How was your commute today?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Snowed like crazy the past two days. Tried but couldnt make it on the roads. My LBS started renting Salsa Muks. I dunno maybe ill rent one for a couple days to see what this fat bike buzz is bout.

    Off topic sometimes i really hate being 5'8" an inbetween bike sizes. my 15" hardrock is a bit small and my 16" giant is a bit big.
    You should try to be 5'6" with 28" waist and shop for pants... Or any related body gear as matter. My bikes are anywhere between 15" and 18" and usually small to medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •