Page 241 of 418 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 251 291 341 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,050 of 20857
    Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    You know how you kind of stand on the pedals and over the front to get off quicker from a light? That method did not work well at that spot today.
    I have a short hill that I usually just stand and push, rather than shift for, and I've done that little routine there... it's actually helpful to get a feel for when you're going to break loose... some ice has more traction than other ice.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    You like the Marathons? I'm going to have to replace my treads soon, and I'm debating between Panaracer T-Serv and the Marathons.
    I have those too, on my cross bike. I would say the T-Servs offer a more supple ride and are lighter (well those are skinnier too), but they do not have the flat protection that the Marathons do. I have the “green guard” Marathons, which are not the highest end ones. I would lean Marathon if you have more debris, and T-servs if you have less. Both have (or are available in a version with) nice reflective sidewalls.

Moderator Moderator
    A number of opinions voiced today by people I encountered:

- Negative but 100% unintelligible (but long) diatribe by a passenger in a passing car who rolled down the window to lecture me.

- "I want to thank you for having those bright lights on the back" by a stranger entering the building as I went to lock up my bike. Followed by a story about a ninja cyclist she saw in town recently.

- "WAY TO GO" Yelled from a car going the other way after dark. It sounded positive, so I woohoo'd and they woohoo'd back.

- "Blah blah blah" yelled, not so friendly-ly after work.

- A friendly wave, like "Hi, I know you, ride on" from a too-closely passing Honda about 1/2 mile from work. There was only 1 oncoming car, so they could have passed courteously in seconds.

- "Are you sure you need a parking lamp? I could see you pretty good." Comedian working at Autozone (I got pulled over in the daytime yesterday in the car for lack of a parking lamp and was looking for a replacement).

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    - "Are you sure you need a parking lamp? I could see you pretty good." Comedian working at Autozone (I got pulled over in the daytime yesterday in the car for lack of a parking lamp and was looking for a replacement).
    "Yep, I need a parking lamp. I'm sure I can get one next door."

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Three straight days of rain in Vegas. A slow cold rain though, or more like a drizzle, but steady. Maybe 1.5 inches during this time, which is about one-third of our annual total, so a pretty good soak by Vegas standards.

Took the Monocog up to Blue Diamond today. About three miles into my ride the bottom bracket started popping and creaking and really announcing its displeasure. Stopped, checked it out. Some pretty good side to side play. Enough play to really loosen my chain. Well, there went that ride. Back into town and to the bike shop to pick up a BBT 22. Got everything all torn apart and going to the LBS tomorrow to price a new sealed cartridge. Saw a pretty highly rated 110 mm on Amazon that's less than twenty dollars. Thinking it might make sense to pay LBS prices to get it now though, with the four day Thanksgiving weekend coming up. Hate to have my bike down during these off days.

CB of the East
    This morning the deer let me get really close. Not a bad sunrise either:
    The Candid Cyclist: Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

Otherwise, it was one of the coldest commutes of the year at around 10 degrees. My legs were a little tired despite being home for 4 days in a row. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    A good commute in this AM. A bit slow. My legs just felt dead, but no worries. 20F when I left the house. Over dressed and got a touch sweaty, but not too bad. Friday's commute, though, not so fun. Read about it here.

Suffice it to say, I'll be a bit less cavalier about saying I want freezing rain in the future.

Huckin' trails

How was your commute today?

If anyone interested, I got a $10 gift-card for an order over $50 at DX.com. Good till December 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    This morning went fine. I was a little worried, since I hadn't ridden in three days. I was a little slow, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm out of my game, or the horrible head wind.

On the way home, I swung by the store and grabbed some supplies for the move this weekend. Noticed my left crank arm was loose and wobbly, and the next thing I know, it was letting out this terrible creak. I could hear it echo when I passed shopping centers. I haven't a clue as to why my crank arm would just suddenly loosen the way it did. Anyone have any ideas?
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This morning went fine. I was a little worried, since I hadn't ridden in three days. I was a little slow, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm out of my game, or the horrible head wind.

On the way home, I swung by the store and grabbed some supplies for the move this weekend. Noticed my left crank arm was loose and wobbly, and the next thing I know, it was letting out this terrible creak. I could hear it echo when I passed shopping centers. I haven't a clue as to why my crank arm would just suddenly loosen the way it did. Anyone have any ideas?
    Is it the crank arm or the whole bottom bracket?

Just paid $30 today at the LBS for something I could've gotten online for $20. But I needed the bottom bracket for rides this weekend. Can't believe how much easier it is messing with cartridge bearings (bottom bracket) over the cup and cone on the Walmart cruiser.

Fate willing, I will be commuting tomorrow.

mtbr member

BB is fine, it's just the left crank arm. I'll swing by the LBS if I get a chance. These next few days are crazy as hell, since we're closed Thursday and Friday. So I've got 3 days to get 5 days worth of production done.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Moderator Moderator
    Ice was trying to creep over the river. This area is a bit of a pain, as I have to take a left at the next light. I like to get over early when there is an opening in traffic, but you have to watch out for all the people going in and out of Dunkin's and a bunch of gas stations in addition to those coming up behind you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1030013-1280x960-.jpg  

mtbr member

Nice view. I feel your pain about the traffic. I have to do the same thing in front of a McD's and several gas stations, across 4 lanes to get to the turn Lane. I've been thinking about just using the crosswalk.

Ride in this morning went well. I'm freakin' exhausted from staying up half the night packing. Today and tomorrow will be 11 hr days, from open to close, and then a night full of packing. I fully intend on drinking my body weight in Red Bull and coffee to get this stuff done.

Saw a fella in front of me for a short bit (he was extremely slow, so I had to pass), who had set up cheap blinkies all over. I tell you, I could see him from a good 300 yards...

I'm thinking I might do the same thing, but spend some time wiring them up to a 4 AA battery holder and using some rechargables.

mtbr member
    Good commute today and on the way home yesterday.

Yesterday there was an older guy riding in the pitch black. He had the dimmest light I've ever seen, it was no brighter than the power button LED on my lights, literally. He also had a full face helmet on, back pants and camo jacket. He kept riding across the street at every turn, then going back to the other side. Did this 3 or 4 times in about 2 miles.

This morning a guy in an F-350 pulled up next to me at a stop light and says "That things cool!" I guess my taillights? I also came across another bike commuter. I was thinking "bright yellow jacket and no taillight? That's weird". Then I got closer and realized his taillight was tangled up in his messenger bag, so I pulled up next to him and let him know. He thanked me and I was on my way. He looked miserable and freezing.
    Last edited by Straz85; 11-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Another good ride in this AM. Though I'm having issues with my wheel slipping out of place again. Not sure what that is about. I really have a hard time with the horizontal dropouts. Normally I would run the wheel all the way to the front of the dropout, but if I do that, I get massive tire rub against the der when I am on the smallest ring with the Nates on. I think I might just have to call around this AM and see if anyplace in town carries Monkey Nuts and if not, break down and order from Amazon.

mtbr member
    I've had family in town, so was off the bike since last wednesday. Last week was -25C, and today was -4C(25F) with lots and lots of carsnot.

Got the parts for my wheelbuild in yesterday. Threw the front together quickly with no issues - still need to repack the bearings and stick it on my rimbrake bike for final truing/dishing, but it's pretty much done.

The rearwheel is another story though, because the spoke lengths are all over the place. I'm sure I've got it laced wrong (and there are plenty of threads around here about that) but I've doublechecked all the left/right in/out leading/trailing stuff and I swear it's exactly the same as the front. Except I must be missing something. I'll start over from scratch tonight, and it should be an easy fix. Worst-case is $30 for shorter spokes.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Then I got closer and realized his taillight was tangled up in my messenger bag, so I pulled up next to him and let him know.
    Eh??? How the heck did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    The rearwheel is another story though, because the spoke lengths are all over the place. I'm sure I've got it laced wrong (and there are plenty of threads around here about that) but I've doublechecked all the left/right in/out leading/trailing stuff and I swear it's exactly the same as the front. Except I must be missing something. I'll start over from scratch tonight, and it should be an easy fix. Worst-case is $30 for shorter spokes.
    Spoke lengths all over the place isn`t right- should only have two lengths. Are you using miscelaneous spokes from a box in the co-op? Starting over is a good idea, be careful with the longs and shorts! And I find it much easier to follow the patern of a wheel with the same drilling and crossing compared to a "new" lacing with no wheel available to copy. If you have another 32 X 3, or whatever, try matching that one spoke for spoke until you get at least one trailing and one leading installed on each side. From that point, it`s a piece of cake to just keep going in the same pattern.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Been off the bike for over a week. Off work today, but might just might commute in tomorrow. Still waiting on my wheel and a new grip setup for my SS, so the TriCross might take on the duties. Haven't ridden geared in a few weeks, and it will feel weird. I may just leave it in gear and ride like that. We have had on and off freezing rain, and the drive home last night from work was pretty bad. Everyone was sliding. Once that stops, I will consider taking the bike back out.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 2913/6000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Spoke lengths all over the place isn`t right- should only have two lengths.
    New spokes, but the leading spokes are way too long. It's 100% a lacing issue, but I stared at it for an awfully long time and it refused to magically fix itself.

The front wheel looks nice and professional, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Eh??? How the heck did that happen?
    I don't know what you're talking about

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Haven't ridden geared in a few weeks, and it will feel weird. I may just leave it in gear and ride like that.
    This is what I do. I stay in a gear that is challenging, but not impossible. The *only* time I shift is going downhill to catch more speed, or when I do the 9% grade bridge on my way to my son's PT/OT, and even then, I'm sure I could manage, I just wouldn't be able to breathe afterward.

mtbr member

No ride home this evening. Just got word of a tornado watch until 10. Sustained winds around 30 mph, with gusts reaching 60. The rain is soon to come down.

I left tornado alley for coastal Florida so I didn't have to deal with this mess. I've been in and lived through two twisters in my life. I'm not about to push my luck.

weirdo
    Newf, do you have another wheel with the same hole count and cross? What I do if possible is find the "heads in" spoke closest to the valve hole on the sample wheel and note where it goes in relation to the logo on the hub, then copy that on the new wheel and keep putting in the rest of the "heads ins" in that side. Then repeat for the other side head in spokes, then one side heads out, then the last heads out. You`ll get there!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ I started from scratch and got it right this time. Sheldon Brown's instructions got me through the first one no problem, but I was messing up the crosses the second time. It's all sorted, though.

Huckin' trails

First snow this evening ! I'm so excited, more than a little kid on Christmas morning, I'm a grown man with a bike riding in slush !!!
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Ride in this morning was better than most. I suppose I got a good nights sleep. Came up behind a guy rollin' ninja style, I let him know that with wet streets and low lighting, he should do more to make himself known, and gave him one of my Amazon red blinkies. I was meaning to place an order for more, so this just sealed the deal.

Took my left crank arm off last night to give it a look. It's pretty much shot. The BB is okay, but the soft aluminum is mushed around so that it no longer firmly sits on the square taper, but rolls around, which causes the bolt to come loose.

I'll call the LBS and see if they have a spare lying around that I can snag for cheap, otherwise I'll be rigging something up until I can replace the crankset. I was wanting to go to a 1X setup anyway.

Natural Born Killer
    18 degrees this morning when I got to work. Which made it my coldest commute this fall. I missed some of the colder mornings while off work this past weekend. Worst thing was the 15 mph NW wind which I had to ride into most of the way. We've had a colder than average November, with temps often 20 degrees below average. We'll see how that bodes for December and January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

CB of the East
    Yesterday's commute was on snowy trails, today it is 45F, POURING and blowing like stink. All I could think as I pedaled hard to get down a hill at 10MPH was "Boy it would be fun to be going the other direction"

I got a lot of "You rode in this" when I got to work which is unusual because most people know I ride in most anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We actually have a little snow too. Just a light dusting though. Still, the MUP was icy in spots. I think the switch on my Superflash is finally starting to go. I've had this thing since I started bike commuting in 2007.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: How was your commute today?

No commutes as I don't have my bike with me. I made it home for the holidays and I always hope for a White Christmas and almost never get one. Well I am getting a white Thanksgiving. It has been at least 5 years since I have seen a flake of snow so happy holidays to all and I leave you with a non desert picture.

mtbr member
    I blew the last of the leaves and a bit of snow off the lawn on Sunday. The storm system that damaged so many towns stripped the oaks early. I ti s usually January before they finish. Some snow forecast today. Not going to make it above freezing today. Trying to figure how much to layer to ride today. Windy too.

mtbr member

Wrecked out on the way home. Dodged some debris and slammed my pedal into a curb. Sent me over the bars and into the street. Car almost hit the bike, but stopped in time. Right arm is pretty raw, and my right femur definitely took a hit. I don't believe it to be broken, so that's the silver lining.

Toe clip, pedal, and crank arm are trash. So is the right brake lever and possibly grip shift as well. Unfortunately, my parts bike is all Shimano, and I've got SRAM. I won't have the time to run new cables and set up a different derailleur in time for work on Friday. We'll see what I'm able to pull off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wrecked out on the way home. Dodged some debris and slammed my pedal into a curb. Sent me over the bars and into the street. Car almost hit the bike, but stopped in time. Right arm is pretty raw, and my right femur definitely took a hit. I don't believe it to be broken, so that's the silver lining.

Toe clip, pedal, and crank arm are trash. So is the right brake lever and possibly grip shift as well. Unfortunately, my parts bike is all Shimano, and I've got SRAM. I won't have the time to run new cables and set up a different derailleur in time for work on Friday. We'll see what I'm able to pull off.
    Glad to hear you are alright and the car didn't run over your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    No commutes as I don't have my bike with me. I made it home for the holidays and I always hope for a White Christmas and almost never get one. Well I am getting a white Thanksgiving. It has been at least 5 years since I have seen a flake of snow so happy holidays to all and I leave you with a non desert picture.
    Congrats on your white Thanksgiving. Nice picture.

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Glad to hear you are alright and the car didn't run over your bike.
    You and I both! Ha!

While I was doing a muscle rub, I decided to surf craigslist, and stumbled upon a guy selling some spare parts. Found myself some shifters, mechanical disc brakes (not awesome, but better than the stock linear pulls I have now), and some rims. I'm not sure if I'll keep the rims, so if nothing else, I'll take the rotors and sell them.

Now I just need to pick up some new cable and a toe clip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    woke up to iced roads.
    20-minute multi-bike studded tire swap after making the kids their lunches.
    and can I just say "dang it's cold out there!"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Well Texan, you did not need to work so hard at getting something to be thankful for tomorrow. Jeesh! No face stitches and no emergency room bill is nice to be tankful for, but we can do that without the drama. Hoping for a fast healing. Happy Thanksgiving, BTW!

weirdo
    Rest up, Tex. Hope you and your steed are in good shape by Monday.

Weather here is very nice, unfortunately. Over the weekend we took a quick trip to San Francisco. Barely any natural snow on 7200ft Donner Summit (ski areas have been manufacturing it to cover their runs). Zero snow at the Nyack Burger King and Sledding Mecca heading down the west side. Oh, the good part about nice weather in late Nov- sunny days in SF, good fog-free views of the city and the new Bay Bridge from Alcatraz.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it this week.
    Recalculating....

Huckin' trails

Got to ride for the first time in snow this winter today. Was kinda rainy too, so very wet. For those who might be interested, I was running a front BB7 caliper with the stock pads on a Shimano RT-56 6 bolts 160mm rotor and it was dead silent, whereas using the same caliper and pads on other bikes with Avid HS1 rotors and Hayes V8 rotors it always made noise when wet. The Shimano rotor can be found for $15 (bought it $10 wholesale), is the entry-level one not too blingy with a large braking track (which is why I chose it as a winter commuter rotor).

How was your commute today?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1385614083.370440.jpg
    Last edited by David C; 11-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Did not commute today. Got my new wheel, and hit the bike shop for a new tire/tape/tube etc. Still want to ride my SS, but the brake is already off in prep for the coaster brake wheel. Well, I flipped it, and am gonna try my hand at fixie. Gotta work on Thanksgiving (hospital), so I figured that riding on a holiday won't be too bad as far as traffic goes and it will give me a good chance to feel it out. High expected of 28, and snow is expected. I am hoping that it won't actually snow, and I can ride in. Also installed my new Fyxation track grips and bar ends. I did my first tape job on this bike, and well, to be honest, it sucked so I yanked it off. A combination of cheap tape, and a lack of knowledge did not fair well for me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wrecked out on the way home. Dodged some debris and slammed my pedal into a curb. Sent me over the bars and into the street. Car almost hit the bike, but stopped in time.
    So we put this accident down to Not Paying Attention.

mtbr member
    My coldwar with the cleaning staff continues - they schedule the cleaning of the lockerroom first thing in the morning. This is annoying and makes no sense because the lockerroom only gets used before work, after work, or at lunch.

I eventually end up training or scaring them into switching to one of the other 8 hours of the day. But every few months someone new starts knocking on the door everyday at 8:05. Or on days like today they get in there before me, and I'm wearing my winter gear and have no patience, so I have to politely chase them out.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Commute today is cancelled. If it was dry, I would do it. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today, given that it's Thanksgiving and my bike is wrecked. I won't be riding tomorrow or Saturday, until I'm able to fix everything.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope you all have a great time, and stay safe out there.

local trails rider
    Yesterday, the paths had been covered with that small gravel that I don't like much, so this morning I decided to try a different route. Not a great idea today... Much of those lesser traveled paths were covered with a layer of ice from the thin layer of snow that was there before it almost melted before the night frost. I made it safely but took many parts extra carefully and slowly.

Now there's a thin layer of snow on the ground again.
    (I need brake pads. The sooner the better. I hope I can make it to one of the shops tomorrow, while they are open, and that they have the model I need)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Monocog up and running again for the Thanksgiving weekend. New bottom bracket, plus twenty dollar tool (BBT 22), set me out about $55. Had I purchased online, about $40. Then I see I have a flat while I'm replacing bottom bracket. Hole torn through both the tire and the tube (really bad tires that I was pushing limits on). Knowing everything is closed today (at least where I can get a decent tire), out the door to buy a new tire and tube(s) so Friday morning I can get a ride in. Again at LBS prices and forced to buy their limited stock. Out close to another $50 bucks. My wife is a little irritated that I've just spent over $100 on the $100 bike I talked her into letting my buy in August. I told her it's a $200 bike now. Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and rides until content.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Monocog up and running again for the Thanksgiving weekend. New bottom bracket, plus twenty dollar tool (BBT 22), set me out about $55. Had I purchased online, about $40. Then I see I have a flat while I'm replacing bottom bracket. Hole torn through both the tire and the tube (really bad tires that I was pushing limits on). Knowing everything is closed today (at least where I can get a decent tire), out the door to buy a new tire and tube(s) so Friday morning I can get a ride in. Again at LBS prices and forced to buy their limited stock. Out close to another $50 bucks. My wife is a little irritated that I've just spent over $100 on the $100 bike I talked her into letting my buy in August. I told her it's a $200 bike now. Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and rides until content.
    Lol, I feel your pain. We sold my truck and I started biking so that we could save money. It seems that since I started back in August, I've spent just as much, if not more. My 200 dollar Jamis ain't worth that much anymore

mtbr member
    haven't you saved that much gas money, Vegascruiser?

weirdo
    8x10 color glossy photos, circles an arrows, seein eye dog...
    And creating a nuisance.
    Recalculating....

Huckin' trails

Ice Ice baby ! Today was icy and cold, but calm commutting back home at 9pm. I was running the bike coop like every Thursday and of course this charming young lady waited for me to close the place down after helping her working on her winter commuter so we could ride along on the way home. These 3km in the cold quiet night made the whole day feel like it was worth it haha

I love teaching and helping people about bikes, and since a few months, I've seen a big increase in female vs male visitors at the bike coop, which is always a good thing to see more people from everywhere opening up to bike commuting and doing their own maintenance.

Newf, regarding my DIY studded tires, I've been using my front 26x2.25 120ish studs for about 10km/week for several weeks now and only for about 10km on snow/ice and using class 12.9 black oxide steel button head M4x10mm screws, sticking out 4mm (1mm too long, couldn't buy 9mm screws lol) and located about halfway from the side-knobs to the center-line, I've had minimal wear (0.5mm) and great performance in snow/ice at 32psi. In comparison, the sheet metal screws and lower psi settings would have had twice if not more the wear, already. I think I might be on to something for a viable solution for cost-to-durability ratio for DIY studs vs dedicated studded tires like Marathon Winter and Ice Spiker. It's about $0.05/screw and I will probably be able to pull off minimum 3 seasons easy out of them whereas only 1.5 for sheet metal. Only worry I still have is corrosion resistance against calcium and salt, as the black oxide may not be enough at all to prevent surface rust and then I may have to go for plated which will double the cost to $0.10/screw. But still it would be great. I'll keep you up to date later on this winter.

Edit : Posted again the entire write-up, should be good now if you are reading this.
    Last edited by David C; 11-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.