Page 241 of 632 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 251 291 341 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 15776
    I Ride for Donuts
    Moose: the deer you don't play chicken with.

Raining pretty solidly this morning, but spring rain is so much more plesant than winter rain.

Took an extended trail route home yesterday . Adds a half hour to the ride. One monster switchback-filled pain fest of a climb. first time tackling it on the Ogre. It climbs techy stuff pretty good. It was raining though, and the Big Apples don't like pine needles and oak leaves on dirt in the rain.

Managed to control my breathing long enough to get a a pic of the Ogre in its natural environment after I topped out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey CB, where's the bike? I don't see it. haha

Nice pic, that's one fine-looking ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ That's why I parked it in the middle of a clearing. If you lean it against a tree and then walk away, when you turn around to take a picture it's gone. You might never see it again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    today was my 35th day commuting to work since st. patricks day. raw, wet, and cold on the way in, but quickly warmed by the time i reached the first tee (I work at a golf course so i routinely play a round before work starts). Riding before golf has really payed off. I arrive feeling warm, loose and energized and my scores have reflected that. Shot a year best 35 (-1) on the front today before heading home for a quick nap before riding back again for work.

i'm currently building up a commuter for my girlfriend. we live within 6 miles of work, so together we'll be putting very few miles on the car. in the near future we should be able to cut down to one car. build thread to follow.

I Ride for Donuts
    Let me get this straight. You commute to "work" which consists of playing a round of golf. Then you commute home for a nap. Then you ride back to "work"? Well doesn't my life just suck.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Let me get this straight. You commute to "work" which consists of playing a round of golf. Then you commute home for a nap. Then you ride back to "work"? Well doesn't my life just suck.
    My Thoughts Exactly!

Moderator Moderator
    I got in an extra trail ride at lunch today with 4 of the guys from work. Only 4.5 miles, but pushing the pace more than I normally do on my own, so I'm sure I'll be tired on the ride home. Supposed to do some housecleaning for company tomorrow...hmmmmm....

mtbr member
    This has been a rough week to double-commute - permanently overcast, constant threat of rain, temperatures just barely above freezing (2C at lunch today), and so windy. Heading home at lunch is only an extra 9mi each day, but it sure feels like work.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    This has been a rough week to double-commute - permanently overcast, constant threat of rain, temperatures just barely above freezing (2C at lunch today), and so windy. Heading home at lunch is only an extra 9mi each day, but it sure feels like work.
    Hah two plus 20C days in Calgary....got in 3 long way home rides.

mtbr member
    ^ it's this stupid April taunting - Monday was gorgeous, but since then it's been miserable. And of course the forecast for tomorrow is still calling for snow.

Moderator Moderator
    A wild turkey flew up from where it was hidden right next to the trail and scared the c r * p out of me.

Only a few sprinkles on the way home after a downpour at 4:00 lead to a stampede to roll up car windows. I joined in "The windows on my bike are down too!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ it's this stupid April taunting - Monday was gorgeous, but since then it's been miserable. And of course the forecast for tomorrow is still calling for snow.
    Snow? Is that the stuff on postcards?
    Sorry I'm about 20 miles north of the Mexican border down here in Az so we don't see much snow, or for that matter rain either since it is the desert.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Only a few sprinkles on the way home after a downpour at 4:00 lead to a stampede to roll up car windows. I joined in "The windows on my bike are down too!"
    I get to run for that when it rains! Not to roll up the windows of course, but to repark inside the boiler room. Since my bike could possibly be in the way (not usually, just when somebody needs to get into the little corner where I stash it), I park outside the door unless it`s raining or snowing, then move it if conditions change.

Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Hey CB, where's the bike? I don't see it. haha
    If you look closely, you can still make out the fenders. When he gets those cammo`d up, I dunno how he`ll ever find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Oh good morning. (From yesterday)
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I got a short noontime trail ride in on the Surly yesterday too. Just enough to get out in the sun. The wind was blowing strangely in my direction on the way home. I got up and came in early this morning so I could leave early on the vacation. It was the first time I've needed the lights in a while.

My bottom bracket is working it's way out the drive side again. I'm not sure what's up with that. I just had it all apart and tightened it into the frame and tightened the locknut what I thought was real good. Does anybody know if there are 2 different types of 20 tooth BB tools? The one I have for ISIS and it doesn't engage as well as it should into the old 20T shimano BB even though the # of teeth and diameter is the same.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I think they're *supposed* to be all the same, but some fit better than others.

Back down in the 30's this morning... got a little bedwards-style "Smoke on the Water"

...no free tea though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ It looks like it should be duck hunting.

The tool I have seems to fit the newer one OK but not the older one. I might just take it to the LBS and have them tighten it. I hate to but I might have to.

I Ride for Donuts
    I was going to say... those ducks in Ender's driveway would be much happier here.

...and I've never used loc-tite on a BB...but why couldn't you?

weirdo
    Maybe it IS duck hunting.

Bedwards, from what you wrote the first time, it sounded like you were able to get torque to the cap. Is the wrench thing not holding to torque it down good, or does it tighten, but still back out? If you`re able to tighten it, I don`t see how the problem could be a mis fitting socket.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

My Hero Shots

My commute is not as scenic as some of you get to enjoy, but we do have some pretty nice places to ride on the weekends. Thought I would share a few from todays ride:

Decisions, decisions...

At the top of Mt. Constitution:

One more from the top:

That's me on top:

weirdo
    Holy cow- GREEN!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Friday's Commute Stop on the way home. Clouds finally swept in after a week of sun!

The Mighty Ogre in it's natural environment!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I installed Shimano hydraulic front brake on my bike to replace the original Hayes MX4. The difference is huge and I realized how crappy the MX4s are. The outer pad was almost completely worn, but the static inner pad not so much. The part of the pad furthest from the center of the rotor had maybe 0.5mm section where it looks like it never scrubbed the rotor at all so when actuated, it looks like letter "n". The part of the moving pad closest to the center of the rotor had the most wear and it tapered moving away from the center. This brake had no way to adjust the centering. The only adjustment was by cable or barrel adjuster for the outer pad and a screw on the inner static pad.

Since I installed this brake, I almost never use the back brake anymore. I guess it is a bit of an odd arrangement to have a hydraulic up front and mech out back but it seems to work well. It makes me rethink changing the back brake.

It was way easier to change than I thought too because the brake was a pre-bled system I just needed to bolt it on.

I Ride for Donuts
    Wow Woodway! Nice!

Jordy, looking like spring!

I took the trail this morning... the geese are hatching. Saw at least one family of day-old chicks. This pair is still sitting on eggs. Any day...

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    I guess it is a bit of an odd arrangement to have a hydraulic up front and mech out back but it seems to work well.
    It sounds reasonable to me- no stranger than disc in front and cantis in back, which is fairly common. Glad it`s working out for you.

Killer, CB! In the spring time, do you ever find yourself jumping in for a quick dip on the way home?

The weather held out for another nice weekend here. Yesterday we took a ride on our semi-local rail trail. Since it was only about 70F, my wife is still wearing long sleeved (black!) shirt and long pants
    Attached Images Attached Images