Page 240 of 418 FirstFirst ... 140 190 230 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 250 290 340 ... LastLast
Results 11,951 to 12,000 of 20857
    Bedwards Of The West
    Was a bit late this morning (anyone else regularly sleep in when there's some weather happening? I swear it's a barometric pressure thing...) so I didn't do the GoPro.... and of course there were 2 massive bucks trotting down my dirt road with me at one point. We're in what hunters call 'the rut', and the big boys are out in force, and they're fearless. Sorry to have failed you all...would have been cool pics/vid.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    -25C/-13F this morning. Went straight to the supermegalevel gloves and socks. Gloves were too warm, which was good because I couldn't remember how well they worked. Socks were just okay, but should definitely be good for a few more degrees. I debated breaking out the fancy new skigoggles+noseguard as recommended by jeffscott, but figured I'd save them for the really cold weather. Last Friday it was raining, and this weekend it's supposed to be well above freezing again.

Bedwards Of The West
    -13, and holding out for "really cold weather" . That is both awesome and sad.

mtbr member
    Last year I think there were only 4 days below -20C/-4F, and that was fabulous but it also set unfair expectations. The sad reality is that I should expect a few weeks of -13F or worse.

Bedwards Of The West
    It gets that cold here, but rarely. The lowest I've commuted in was -4. I do hope to break that this year if I get the chance. The coldest I've been in was -24, and that just hurts. If I get the chance to ride at -13, I won't be saving any gear for the "real" cold, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Man... -13. I've never experienced cold like that. It got to around 0 (before wind chill) for about a week a few winters ago and I can safely say I had no clothing sufficient to make me comfortable outside, even just for a short walk. This was before I started riding. Winters the last few years have been teens to 20s, generally.

In other news, I think I need new tires soon. I was going over the rear after patching that tube, looking for bits of glass too small to immediately puncture but maybe sharp enough to eventually wriggle their way down, and found one pretty deep gash. The tire seems like it's holding fine, but I really don't want to deal with a blowout, especially going into the winter. I did a little looking around and studded winter tires are *expensive*. I'll have to get my other bike on the stand this weekend and go through it to see if I can use it as a winter ride.

mtbr member
    A bit warmer this AM - -1F at the house with 4MPH wind for a chill factor of -8. Felt a bit colder in Anchorage, even though it was warmer temp wise at 2F. The bus ride is what does me in, I've found. The lack of heat on the bus itself is a challenge - my hands get cold, really cold, on the ride and they just don't want to warm up after that.

No beardcicle pic today. Had some decent ones, but I'm really waiting for the weather to get just right so that I get the actual icicles forming rather than just the frosty beard.

mtbr member
    Everything went great for my ride in.The only thing that would have made it better is if it were 50 degrees instead of 75. I had a woman in a Taurus pull into the bike lane while making a right hand turn. It just so happened that my bar light hit her right in the eyes (I didn't move a thing. Promise!), she yelled at me to get it out of her face and get on the sidewalk.

I think once payday rolls around, I'll be picking up a rechargeable marine air horn.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    This morning was a bit warmer than the last few mornings. It was about 45 F and very windy. This is probably my last commute this year. We are getting cold snap starting tomorrow. See you next spring unless we get some really warm weather this winter.

Huckin' trails

How was your commute today?

It's bone dry here, up and down around -2°/3°C and just a tad windy. Big sun right now. Stop keeping all the snow for yourself guys.

Btw, y'all recall the Shimano crank recall I did ? Well I sent back a 1995 Alivio crankset and two weeks later, got a big box in return. Turned out they had pre-made kits for these kind of replacement, so they sent me a brand new complete front end, all 2008 Tourney stuff. So now I got a Tourney crankset and FD, an UN26 BB, and a 8spd chain. Too bad I just switched to 9spd and not using an FD. I almost wanted to ask the lbs if we could trade all this brand new stuff for just a recent Alivio crankset (M410) and an UN55 BB. Meh, my brother wanted it fix ASAP so now he's stuck with it anyway.

**I wanted to post pictures, but somehow Tapatalk says the pics I took with my iPhone aren't a valid image file after I selected them and the size, etc. Weird. And it's for any pictures, even the ones I already did successfully uploaded in the past using Tapatalk and this iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    We got rain last night! I didn`t check to see if it was measurable at the airport. And better than rain here, I`m sure the mountains got a few inches of snow. Keep it comming!

Keep warm, northerners. I don`t think we`ve ever hit double digit negatives in my area.

I installed new brake calipers today, it needed to be done, but I`m not particularly happy with the model I bought. The calipers I replaced were OEM on my 91 bike (now only the seatpost remains from the stock components) and the little disc inside for return tension adjustment was getting worn out. A few times in the past couple months it`s dropped the spring, leaving no return tension on one side, so the return spring on the other side pulled the dropped side into the rim. With the old Shimano calipers, I was able to mount the front pads backwards (yeah, I know) and they would clear my forks with the straddle cable unhooked, making for very easy wheel removal, even with my fattest tires. The new IRDs don`t have that nice feature, so I just installed them the "right" way . The other issue is that I can`t remove teh spring from the new ones, so I have to set the pads under tension, which just plain sucks. They`re very pretty, but I`m considering buying a set of CR720s instead.

EDIT: I posted simultaneously with David The Recall Man. Whoa- That`s a deal!
    BTW, I did recieve a brand new Big Apple from Schwalbe last week for my warranty issue.
    Recalculating....

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    -25C/-13F this morning. Went straight to the supermegalevel gloves and socks. Gloves were too warm, which was good because I couldn't remember how well they worked. Socks were just okay, but should definitely be good for a few more degrees. I debated breaking out the fancy new skigoggles+noseguard as recommended by jeffscott, but figured I'd save them for the really cold weather. Last Friday it was raining, and this weekend it's supposed to be well above freezing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    It gets that cold here, but rarely. The lowest I've commuted in was -4. I do hope to break that this year if I get the chance. The coldest I've been in was -24, and that just hurts. If I get the chance to ride at -13, I won't be saving any gear for the "real" cold, that's for sure.
    You guys have more balls that I. Hats off to you both.

Moderator Moderator
    Teens here this morning, put the pogies back on and enjoyed the first bluebird day in a while. I picked up that roadside loaf of bread, it was frozen but the package seemed intact, so I grabbed it. Later I saw the date on it was 11/6 - not sure how a 2 week old loaf of bread ended up on the side of the road…I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been there all along. Considering saving it for stuffing anyway, it would make a good story, but I’m a little worried my brother in law wouldn’t eat anything after he heard where I got it. And when did bread get over $4/loaf? I guess I buy what’s on sale or if I do spend $4 it’s for bread from the bakery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Everything went great for my ride in.The only thing that would have made it better is if it were 50 degrees instead of 75. I had a woman in a Taurus pull into the bike lane while making a right hand turn. It just so happened that my bar light hit her right in the eyes (I didn't move a thing. Promise!), she yelled at me to get it out of her face and get on the sidewalk.
    Don't you love that people go on the offensive when they are caught in the wrong?

Maybe: "Sorry! I thought it was the least I could do for an illegal right hand turn!"

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I guess I buy what’s on sale or if I do spend $4 it’s for bread from the bakery.
    Try buying gluten-free without potato starch in it for under $6. ;(

mtbr member
    Such a bright and sunny day that I couldn't not go for a ride at lunch:

My first chance to goof around in about a week (still need to really get used to get the feel of the studs/drops/gears), and my first daylight ride in quite awhile. It was up to -20C/-4F at lunch, which is okay with the sun.

mtbr member
    Raining today and man do i need to find a front fender. I have one of those downtube fenders but my tire was throwing up water from the front. My rear is covered with my basket and bag but the front is no bueno. Prob gonna pick up a cheap one on payday. I Does anyone use these types of front fenders?

Name:  planetbike_7031_09_m.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  9.6 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Does anyone use these types of front fenders?
    I've used that style - sks, axiom, and topeak. Their main use is to keep stuff from being flung off the wheel and into your face. They also help to keep stuff away from the headset. They do nothing to protect you feet/legs, and may even make things worse by seemingly directing water right at your pedals. They're better for mud than for puddles.

mtbr member

Ride to PT/OT was good. Did a damn good job on the 9% grade bridge I cross over to get there. Had to dig some metal out of my brake pads, and found that my non-drive crank arm came loose. Haven't a clue in the world how that happened, but I'll be torquing it down pretty good tonight. Commute is about to be dark both ways, so I'm looking at upgrading the battery or buying a spare for my bar light.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Raining today and man do i need to find a front fender. I have one of those downtube fenders but my tire was throwing up water from the front. My rear is covered with my basket and bag but the front is no bueno. Prob gonna pick up a cheap one on payday. I Does anyone use these types of front fenders?

Name:  planetbike_7031_09_m.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  9.6 KB
    I don't have that brand, but similar, although 5" longer for a little more protection, and more adjustable since the fore and aft sections adjust somewhat on mine (more $ too, SKS Grand D.A.D.), and I am happy with them. As Newf suggests, they will not block every drop, but compared to no fender, I expect they would be fantastic. A few concerns of flimsiness/compatibility on Planet Bike Bog Front ATB Fender - Normal Shipping Ground
    and Planet Bike Bog Front Fender - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Don't you love that people go on the offensive when they are caught in the wrong?

Maybe: "Sorry! I thought it was the least I could do for an illegal right hand turn!"
    (
    Had I not been completely exhausted from giving everything I had on today's commute to try and do some "training", I would have chased her down.

mtbr member
    Oh, one other thing about those fenders - the planetbike version has a collar mount, that is the same as the axiom one I had, and that several other brands use. It's kindof lame. There's play, so your fender will never point forward, and it has 3 flimsy clips that I broke. You can buy replacements, but they're equally lame.

The SKS version uses more of a slider mount. It's still not perfect, but it's much better:

I'm not sure if any brand other than sks makes those, but try to find one without the round collar if you can.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ I use the SKS one for trail riding with my MTB. It's a solid fender, good for keeping mud and water out of your face, but not off your legs and shoes. The clip thing will eventually work itself loose no matter what you do and I got tired of re-tightening it and finally tie-wrapped the fender onto the bike for the winter since it's unlikely I'll ever take it off.

mtbr member
    ^ When mine loosened up I put a strip of electrical tape on the orange part, and that tightened it back up again. It's still a much more durable mount than the pb one.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I picked up that roadside loaf of bread, it was frozen but the package seemed intact, so I grabbed it. Later I saw the date on it was 11/6 - not sure how a 2 week old loaf of bread ended up on the side of the road…I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been there all along. Considering saving it for stuffing anyway, it would make a good story, but I’m a little worried my brother in law wouldn’t eat anything after he heard where I got it.
    Aw, now you HAVE to use it- tell everybody except your BIL how it came into your hands so the rest of you can all share in the amusement at his expense!

My bread is a little over $4 per loaf if I buy at the closest store, though a lot less from the place I go for "big" shopping.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

No, you make the stuffing, and when all is said and done, you tell the story.

mtbr member
    45* this am, the Tenn jersey with an undershirt works well.
    Had a front page story in my local paper about recent HS grads just completing a Xcountry cycling tour, 3000 miles over 75 days, from Alaska down here to S.E. Az. I'd link the online story but I refuse to pay an extra $4.50 just to read a story online, that I already pay to read on paper.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Bedwards Of The West
    We finally got a little weather...yesterday's ride home was a soaker... a very solid rain the whole way. It kept it up into the night, and switched to snow as the temp dropped and the storm passed... enough for a dusting at the house, but no real accumulation. Much colder out there this morning, as we're now on the canada side of the jet stream for a while apparently...

I got much closer to this guy, but the images came out very blurry...

How was your commute today?-picture1.jpg

mtbr member
    A bit warmer this AM again. 2F at the house. Though the warmer air temp was offset by the 13mph sustained wind recorded on my weather station. The Wunderground station closest to my house recorded sustained winds of 25 with gusts of 37. From the north. Off the glaciers. Windchill was definitely a factor this morning. As I was peddling along I felt like I was just absolutely unable to handle the wind and feeling completely dead in the legs. Had to stand up on a couple of hills. Odd stuff. I realized as I got to the top of my second hill that I thought I was on my 24t ring when it turns out I was on the 44 the whole time! No wonder I was sucking air!

*edit* Forgot to add a picture from after my ride last weekend with my boy.
    How was your commute today?-10980812116_b6a7c7bda8_c.jpg

For today's edition of beardcicle digest I present the following:
    How was your commute today?-10979701185_b4425ec02e_c.jpg

jrm
    mtbr member
    Almost made to work without getting wet....almost. And once i got to work the sun started poking through the clouds so the ride home tonight should be good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It has been cold....but at least no car snot.

Now the chinook has hit...warm but lots of wind and car snot.

mtbr member

Block, you make me miss my beard. Had to shave it off a year ago when I switched jobs. Miss it something terrible.

Ride to work this morning was pretty good. A little too warm for my tastes, but that's what sweat rags are for. Did my best to pedal as hard and fast as I could the whole way, without breaks.

We're moving in December, so this evening I'll ride that route to the new place, and then home. Interested to see how it turns out.

local trails rider
    It started snowing after I arrived at work. Later during the day, it turned into wet snow and then rain.
    The way home was "interesting": the ... porridge ... on the paths had been packed by pedestrians and other bike riders - just enough that the bike was trying to float on it, some of the time. I had a couple of hairy moments but rode home all the way. Some were pushing their bikes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Started at 0, ended around +5. North wind picking up. Hope it snows as the trails are rock hard and bumpy.

Lots of overflow around the lower creek beds.

Bedwards Of The West
    Awesome pics from up north guys.

I had a weird one yesterday...it was pounding rain, so visibility was pretty bad from a car (I'm assuming)... I had someone zip by me and then brake hard, looking like they were going to "right hook" me at the turn just ahead... but then they stopped, sort of half-way into the right turn lane. I was assuming they realized that they had misjudged my speed and were going to let me pass on the right before making their turn, so I took them up on this gesture and kept the hammer down, passing them on the right and giving them a 'thank you' wave a I went by....I realized at that moment that they had rolled down their passenger window (raining hard remember) and were leaning over as if we were about to have a conversation... I was 20 feet down the road before that really registered...it's a slight decline there and I was focused on getting by without slippng on wet road paint..... so I hear the hiss of tires in the rain coming up behind me (apparently they weren't going to turn), but they just flew on by, window up. Very strange.
    The best I can come up with is that they thought I was someone else?
    Embarrassed?
    And they obviously don't ride, or they would have matched my speed and not expected me to come to a complete stop... it was not hostile at all. Just strange.

mtbr member

Ride home was great. Rode it as hard as I could, with my legs on fire and my lungs burning just as much. Cut through a dirt path, and caught a john being arrested. Check it out.

Something tells me they can't do much for that persistent crick in my neck.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Awesome pics from up north guys.

I had a weird one yesterday...it was pounding rain, so visibility was pretty bad from a car (I'm assuming)... I had someone zip by me and then brake hard, looking like they were going to "right hook" me at the turn just ahead... but then they stopped, sort of half-way into the right turn lane. I was assuming they realized that they had misjudged my speed and were going to let me pass on the right before making their turn, so I took them up on this gesture and kept the hammer down, passing them on the right and giving them a 'thank you' wave a I went by....I realized at that moment that they had rolled down their passenger window (raining hard remember) and were leaning over as if we were about to have a conversation... I was 20 feet down the road before that really registered...it's a slight decline there and I was focused on getting by without slippng on wet road paint..... so I hear the hiss of tires in the rain coming up behind me (apparently they weren't going to turn), but they just flew on by, window up. Very strange.
    The best I can come up with is that they thought I was someone else?
    Embarrassed?
    And they obviously don't ride, or they would have matched my speed and not expected me to come to a complete stop... it was not hostile at all. Just strange.
    This happens a lot with the right hook, drivers just don't know your speed vs. their own. Thad bad part is they can't be playing around like that, really they just need to pay attention, to much at stake to be messing around.

Moderator Moderator
    I saw a cold weather triker this morning on the sidewalk in town. A little off though..it was in the teens(F), and he had one of those full ski masks with eye and mouth holes, but no gloves at all. Ouch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Sad commute today.

Was around 10 F this morning in Wyoming with windchill putting it down to about 2 F according to weather online. Its still be mostly dry up till last night and I haven't changed my tires yet for the season. Still running slicks on the commuter. Was super excited to try out my brand new WXB pants this morning as it was snowing. So got all dressed up and headed to school. There were a few slippery spots along the way but the worst was right in front of the bike rack at the end of my commute. Wiped out coming around the corner of the building on a slick sidewalk. Bloodied my knee and elbow both, and worst of all tore a hole in the knee of my brand new pants. Super frustrating. Everything else was good. My own fault I suppose, shouldn't have trusted the slicks. Thought I was being cautious enough, but I guess not. The ride back home tonight should be interesting too, since its been snowing most the day. I ordered some studded tires today too, because I was so frustrated. Hope those turn out to be a good investment.

mtbr member
    Hey Jordy... it's snowing! Now we just need enough freezing rain to close down the U so I can take the day to pack down the trails up in the valley... I can't believe I'm saying this, but c'mon freezing rain!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    LET IT SNOW!!! ;p Yes, I will be out tonight packing trails! Commute tomorrow AM should be interesting!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pouring rain in Vegas. Rode the 15 miles in to work today, but had a buddy drive me home. Therefore, my commuter is spending the night in the welding shop at work, which means I'll be driving to work Monday (cause I have tomorrow off). I just have not been able to pull it together this month. Only 44 commuting miles this month so far. Just terrible. Expected though, as I've already missed eight work days so far this month for various reasons. Trips, CDL physical, Holiday, Union Days (our contract allows days off for Union business), a vacation day, and two days lost cause my commuter spent the night in the weld shop.

It was raining so hard at quitting time that everyone felt really sorry for me having to peddle 15 miles home. One buddy offered me a ride. I told him to be careful with that offer cause I'm on the verge of taking it. He said he meant it and I took it. Would've been well over a two hour commute home tonight had I peddled, as Vegas drivers are terrible in the rain and I would've likely had to taken sidewalks at 8 mph the whole way home to avoid being hit by a car. At least I got the peddle in though.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Aw, now you HAVE to use it- tell everybody except your BIL how it came into your hands so the rest of you can all share in the amusement at his expense!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    No, you make the stuffing, and when all is said and done, you tell the story.
    I had just about decided to send the roadside loaf home with someone who has chickens, but it came home with me ... we must be thankful, after all.

mtbr member
    Glad I wasn't riding and following a truck I saw today. It had an old woodchopper with no safety power off bars on back and was running. The feed drum was turning. Imagine following it on a bike and having the dolt behind texting and missing the red light change. Not pretty. Dolts.

weirdo

Post Bike Thief News...

ToughBuilt Compact Bolt Cutter — 24in.L, Model# F240 | Bolt Cutters| Northern Tool + Equipment
    Handy, no?

Enjoyed a little dusting of snow yesterday, put my bored and lonesome studded tires on for today`s commute over no-longer-even-wet roads. It was cold, gray, and gloomy but I was happy. Aside from getting to wear a little carbide off, I got a bonus warm fuzzy when I passed a group of junior high kids walking from the bus stop. One of `em waved and yelled "Hey, biker dude!".
    Recalculating....

Huckin' trails

We've been having such beautiful night time weather lately that today I decided to man up and go climb the mountain after being done working at the bike coop at 9pm (no diner yet). I had a blast and also had a chance to try out my new UltraFire C3 led flashlight. Damn it is one hell of a stupid bright little sucker. It's 10cm long by 2cm diameter, takes either a single AA or a 3.7v 14500 battery, and using a 14500 @ ~600mh, I was able to light up the whole trail well enough to feel comfortable riding fast and aggressive. Puts out about 100lm with a Cree P4 emitter. For those who are familiar with DX.com, its the SKU 1993. For $10, it also comes with a nice holster, glass lens and OP aluminum reflector. Can't beat it honestly. And I had about 1.5 hours of runtime using the factory charge on the battery.

I'm thinking about building up a XML-T6 flashlight using a C6-T60 body to use as an helmet mounted light along with my XML-U2 one I have on my bars. If I can find a 17mm driver with 2 modes (high and low) that gives about 2500-3000mh and accepts up to 9v (to use 2xCR123A batteries instead of a single 18650), than it's a deal. DX has one similar already built, but it has 3 modes without memory, and I hate the stupid strobe mode that I'll have to go trough every-time I turn it on and off to get back to high or low mode. Although it has a confirmed 800+lm output and is under $20... I love them stupid flashlights haha
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    No commute this morning. Wife and I were up late putting the finishing touches on our presentation that we're giving at a marriage prep retreat this weekend. I woke up at my usual time this morning and realized that I didn't have even close to the amount of energy I need to get to work. Woke her up and asked if she was going anywhere today. All it took was for me to hear "no" and I was in the van on my way to work.

When I get off, we've gotta drop the boys off at abuela's house and head 45 minutes south to stay for the weekend. I'm hoping to bring the bike and get some riding in sometime, but I don't know if it will happen.

Bedwards Of The West
    Low 20's for me today. Some beardcicles, but nothing on an Alaskan level. My beard isn't really on an Alaskan level either, so...

My hands were miserable. I was holding out with the 'level 2' gloves. Time for 'level 3' for sure.

I have next week off, so this is my last ride in for a week. Hoping to get some mountain biking in during turkey week if it stays clear.

Moderator Moderator
    A slushy ride in today, I decided to keep the summer wheels on because there was only ¼”at my house and it was hovering around freezing, with the snow sounding like it was changing over. Usually there is less at the lower elevations, or at least the increased car traffic melts it down there. That turned out to be an OK call, even though there seemed to be a little more snow in some areas. I rode the edge of the melted travelway for the most part, shunning the snowier/slushier shoulder. At one light cars were backed up more than usual, so I took the snow route to their right and the Schwalbe Marathons did fine there, ridden carefully.

I did have one funny spot at a red light where there was some snow/slush, and when I tried to start out the back tire just spun in place until I shifted more weight back, and then I proceeded forward straight and smoothly. You know how you kind of stand on the pedals and over the front to get off quicker from a light? That method did not work well at that spot today. It should be 38F by the ride home, so it will be sloppy but not slippery.

mtbr member
    It rained here in Phoenix on my commute home last night. But, it still wasn't very cold, even with the rain. I was just hoping that some crazy driver didn't rear end me due to low visbility.

mtbr member
    You like the Marathons? I'm going to have to replace my treads soon, and I'm debating between Panaracer T-Serv and the Marathons.

All this talk of snow and ice makes me happy to be subtropical. Although we're supposed to get a nice cold front on Sunday.