Page 239 of 239 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239
Results 23,801 to 23,859 of 23859
    Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    davpacjr - 14mph for 10 miles on a fat bike is a pretty good pace - well done!

Anger - hope your lunch did not get run over by the increased traffic. Good job riding every day!

I got the new tires onto my bike last night - I switched from the 25c tires I have ridden for years to 28c tires. Same model, Conti GP4000SII. I should have made this switch a long time ago, they roll great and give a much better ride.

57F and light rain this morning, and a decent commute.

CB of the East
    My biggest question is how does a rear derailleur cable snap? There isn't a lot of stress on them and they would shift pretty horribly before they rusted through. I rarely change cables on any of my bikes and I've never snapped a cable. I'm not doubting, just wondering.

I can't say I notice much of a difference between 25C and 28C. But maybe it's just because I always run 25 on the road bike and 28 on the cross bike. The road/25C definitely feels faster and the cross/28C handles rough pavement better but I always attributed it to the bike.

In any case, I have 32C knobbies on the cross bike now. I did a shakedown ride for the race this morning. I think I may ditch the camelback because running with it sucks. Otherwise it's all good. I bought a tool roll that I hung on the front handlebars so I can leave all the bike related stuff with the bike when I do the other legs of the course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Anger - hope your lunch did not get run over by the increased traffic. Good job riding every day!
    it was gone when I returned home. So I had to consume protein drinks at work and now i'm out a nice soft pack. oh well ! part of the daily joy of not driving a cage. It's an adventure every single day.

mtbr member
    A good ride in this AM. Legs a bit heavy, but no biggie. Temps had lots of variation this morning - block to block it seemed they changed sufficiently enough to feel the differences. Warmer to colder. A sure sign of winter coming on when the folds hold the cold air in. https://goo.gl/maps/yPqtWggiMyQ2
    "It's like a blanket that's been wrinkled up..."

Cool what glaciers can do to the terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    My biggest question is how does a rear derailleur cable snap? There isn't a lot of stress on them and they would shift pretty horribly before they rusted through. I rarely change cables on any of my bikes and I've never snapped a cable. I'm not doubting, just wondering.
    I've been having issues for a while with shifting, but Im a jeep owner so I run it till it brakes. The cable was around 6yo now and the bike has over 9k on it so not surprising.,

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by davpacjr View Post
    I've been having issues for a while with shifting, but Im a jeep owner so I run it till it brakes. The cable was around 6yo now and the bike has over 9k on it so not surprising.,
    LOL, got it. Those shift cables are pricey. Maybe you were just looking for an excuse to ride the fatboy.

mtbr member
    Bedwards so you settled down on the bike and equipment?

Ride in was refreshing, 8C and foggy. I was thinking about gloves along the way....had a goodbye-dinner after work with a collegue that has her last day before retirement tomorrow, so I rode home in the dark first time this fall. It was still 15C so no big issue, and lights are still working.

Will work from home tomorrow, so no riding. But will check here over the weekend, waiting for Bedward's race report
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 11:15 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    LOL, got it. Those shift cables are pricey. Maybe you were just looking for an excuse to ride the fatboy.
    Honestly I was since I got it last week. It was just luck that the cable broke.

Moderator Moderator
    Good luck at the adventure race bedwards! The lighter bike sounds good with all that climbing.

Good rides, a lot of misty mornings. Had a pickup pass me just before the light - no big deal except that when it turned green he just sat there. As I don't have the friendly beep option on the bike, I knocked on his tailgate. Nope, still sat there. C'mon guy, wake up, you are driving!

Welcome to our new bikecommuters/forum friends.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    HUGE blowout on Friday. I left for work in the dark and light rain, was moving along around 18MPH when suddenly - BANG! - like a big firecracker going off and now I'm trying to keep my bike under control as the front wheel is riding on the rim.

Came to a mostly controlled stop and saw that whatever happened blew the front tire off the rim. I thought about trying to put a new tube in, but this was a brand new tire and I thought something might be wrong with it. So I pushed home.

After looking everything over, it looks like it was an inner tube failure. The tube has a six -inch tear in it where it blew. The force of it blowing was enough to unseat the tire. The tube is quite old - I had patched it several times - it's years old and has probably over ten thousand miles on it. I think my mistake is that when I changed the tire, I should have also changed the tube.

Anyway, no ride today, I am working at my place in Central Washington. It's a delicious day though, so I am going to go Mountain Biking later today.

bedwards, we are all still waiting for the race report!

mtbr member
    A good ride in this AM. Cool and dry, so that's good. Particularly as we passed through some heavy rain between the valley and Anchorage.

Got out for a nice 50Km gravel grind yesterday with 2800 feet of climbing. Fun times. And found my own magic bus... not much of a secret to anyone in the area, but cool nonetheless. Big terrain. Like Denali National Park, but without the tourists or really big mountain. Same type of scenery, though.

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_130632194.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_130620890.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_144254127.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_144257509.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_144302923.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_144308895.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180916_152959376.jpg

mtbr member
    Beywards is probably still flattened from that race so I am not going to spread the news for him, but (hint hint) the results are online now and he can be proud!

Dang woodway that sounds really scary. It happened to me once going only 10kph and that was already scary enough. Did it damage the tire as well?

Nice rides today. 8C and foggy again this morning. Also left early, first start in the dark this fall. Summer weather in the afternoon, 24C! Made a nice detour.

No riding tomorrow. Company organises a surprise excursion not suitable for people suffering from motion sickness, so my guess is we'll be on a sightseeing bus.

Edit: nice pics blockphi! And I repeat: really nice color on your bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    A good ride in this AM. Cool and dry, so that's good. Particularly as we passed through some heavy rain between the valley and Anchorage.

Got out for a nice 50Km gravel grind yesterday with 2800 feet of climbing. Fun times. And found my own magic bus... not much of a secret to anyone in the area, but cool nonetheless. Big terrain. Like Denali National Park, but without the tourists or really big mountain. Same type of scenery, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180916_130632194.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	1216752

Name:	IMG_20180916_130620890.jpg 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1216753

Name:	IMG_20180916_144254127.jpg 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1216754

Name:	IMG_20180916_144257509.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	1216755

Name:	IMG_20180916_144302923.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	1216756

Name:	IMG_20180916_144308895.jpg 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1216757

Name:	IMG_20180916_152959376.jpg 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1216758
    Beautiful scenery!

Do you carry anything for bears?
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Beautiful scenery!

Do you carry anything for bears?
    Naw, not for this type of ride and in this type of scenery. Pretty good sightlines even once below treeline. Honestly, even when I'm riding in the woods where I know there are bears around I don't carry anything as often as I should. When I do, just a can of bear spray.

I do have a bear bell, though who knows if that actually has any kind of affect other than calling them to dinner!

mtbr member
    Yikes woodway, nice recovery from a possible crash.
    A friend of mine had told me he replaces his tubes after a couple patches or so, I had never figured out why, but the ancient tube degrading might be the answer.

Sweet photos blockphi. I keep hearing stories about epic gravel rides that almost make me want to try it. My commuter is a CX bike that can fit at least 32mm tires...

My commute was pretty interesting for me today. I had recently read about muscle engagement throughout the pedal stroke, and single leg pedaling drills to smooth out power application, so I tried it on the way to work. Wow what a difference on my climb home! I can see I was mashing, and relying on my quads too much before, even though I thought I was smooth. I hope to have my commutes be recovery rides where I focus on pedaling technique, and occasionally, weight distribution, as I up the mtb volume.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow Woodway, I have never had a blowout like that, but always worry about them on a speedy descent! I am pretty conservative (lazy) and tend to replace with a new tube.

Thanks for sharing the great photos blockphi, it looks amazing!

b rock, hope that leg is OK, I have tried 1-legged but not uphill.

Good rides today. The niterider turned on again (I held the button down for maybe 10 secs and it appeared to reset it) and I was not run over by the rude close pass by a one of those tractor trailers for heavy equipment. It was also a stupid pass as I only ended up 2 cars behind him at the next light. Not really worth it! I know flying the bird is not really advisable, and doubtful the driver saw it in the rearview, but the next couple vehicles sure got the message and passed super safely.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Beywards is probably still flattened from that race so I am not going to spread the news for him, but (hint hint) the results are online now and he can be proud!
    Hey, thanks dutchman! Flattened? No, I rode to work yesterday like any normal day. I didn't check in because I figured I'd do it when the blog was done. It's done.
    The Candid Cyclist: Metallak Race 2018

blockphi should we start calling you Chris (McCandless)? Good pics

Woodway, no it wasn't a tube failure. When you run tubeless there is nothing like that to even fail like that. When the casing fails the tube will rupture like that. My guess is that the tire was never seated correctly or you had some of the tube trapped between the bead and the rim.

[QUOTE=blockphi;13819106I do have a bear bell, though who knows if that actually has any kind of affect other than calling them to dinner![/QUOTE]Ha Ha. I saw plenty of bear scat on the race course and only had a creaky seat to warn them away. We only have the black variety around here so unless you are wearing a necklace of doughnuts they probably have no interest in you. Although I am just reminded of this story: https://www.npr.org/2017/07/08/53612...-bear-in-maine

Oh and on my commute in I passed not one but two butt pugs by the side of the road. They appeared to be in fairly good shape but I didn't stop to pick them up. LOL. I think I remember blockphi reporting that he passed a dildo not too long ago. Somebody did anyway.

mtbr member
    3506.7 - As of this morning thems be my miles. I'm happy with that.

Commute was a bit rough this morning. First my NiteRider headlight wouldn't work so I had to use my older Cygolight that is much more dim. Come to find out somehow the NR got locked. Unlocked it and it worked fine. Got to the office and realized... no keys. Fortunately a coworker is also an early bird and was able to get me in the building.

Apart from those two issues, pretty good riding. Hoping this afternoon goes smoothly as I have to meet a guy from Craigslist about some pogies and will have about 45 minutes to make the bus a mere six miles away from the meetup.

Bed - yeah, the dildo was me. But you've definitely gotten me beat. (So many bad puns there...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    b rock, hope that leg is OK, I have tried 1-legged but not uphill.
    Thanks. I did the one leg pedaling smoothness drills a mostly on the flats, and tried to just be smooth on the climbs, but the drills help me be aware of my smoothness a lot even when using both legs... makes me think about amputees.

Today was another nice commute. It's cold enough now that I don't go to short sleeves at all, but pretty warm relative to what most people deal with.

I am trying to add a couple more mtb rides to my week, so I hope the pedaling smoothness practice will help my knees deal with more volume. I'm also having fun thinking about loading both tires a little bit around the apex of turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Left crank arm coming loose again on my daily ride "Cyclic". First bike in 37 years of "enthusiastic cycling" that this has happened to me on. Oh well, ordered a new one last week. $20 fix.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post

Commute was a bit rough this morning. First my NiteRider headlight wouldn't work
    My Niterider "died" last week. It wouldn't turn on even though it turned blue when plugged in (although it turned blue in just a couple secs). Too lazy to look up the instructions, I guessed it must have a reset and tied holding the button down for like 10 seconds, when I believe it blinked. I released the button and it has worked perfectly since.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hey, thanks dutchman! Flattened? No, I rode to work yesterday like any normal day. I didn't check in because I figured I'd do it when the blog was done. It's done.
    The Candid Cyclist: Metallak Race 2018
    Absolutely outstanding bedwards. Both the race and the write-up. Enjoyed reading about your adventure.

Woodway, no it wasn't a tube failure. When you run tubeless there is nothing like that to even fail like that. When the casing fails the tube will rupture like that. My guess is that the tire was never seated correctly or you had some of the tube trapped between the bead and the rim.
    Yes, I think you are right. Funny thing is I rode nearly 100 miles on that new tire before it blew...

No commute for me the last couple of days, but yesterday I got out for a good MTB ride near my house. 14 miles, 2700 feet. Beautiful late summer day. Back to my regular commute tomorrow.

How was your commute today?-0917181638a.jpg
    How was your commute today?-0917181544.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I have to agree Bedwards, that was a great write up on your blog of a TOUGH race! Congrats to you and rollingrunner on your podiums! That pinnacle thing is pretty crazy looking, even for northern NH.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Regular commute today. 50F and clear - put my lightweight jacket on this morning. No blown tires.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. not too chilly. Not windy. Good times.

Got a good deal yesterday on a set of Dogwood Designs pogies for this winter's riding. New these are 120, picked them up for 50. Didn't even haggle on the price. I'm happy. My last pogies were warm, but not so good given the cockpit set up I have so I was always adjusting them - pulling them up like a pair of socks that keep falling down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    working @ home today. No commute for me ! I'll get out to my local mtb trail and burn off some steam later this evening.

CB of the East
    Thanks for the positive feedback all. Most of my "training" for the race is just in my daily commutes.

I had to drop a vehicle off an the shop and had an extended 22 mile commute from a different area today. It was a little chilly so I grabbed the full fingered gloves...and left them on the table at home. I did bring a windbreaker but didn't' need to wear it.

mtbr member
    Congrats on 3rd place for you and 1st for RR bedwards. I have read you blog entry before your posting here, must have been lucky to see it just after publication.

mtbr member
    nice neighborhood trails you have their woodway!

back to short sleeved commute today after a morning mtb ride.

I probably carried too much speed down the hill from my house in the swooping paved turns, I need to chill that out. I am happy enough with my crashes in the dirt

mtbr member
    No commute yesterday, just a long lovely ride on the Warbird...

How was your commute today?-81653f8e-146d-4436-bd52-dfd69a9583f5.jpg
    How was your commute today?-406925b2-47ce-4ad8-83fb-123172317ca3.jpg
    How was your commute today?-9f8f65ea-db95-4e04-a9b1-8fd0f9fdf004.jpg
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Moderator Moderator
    All the pix are cool! Here are mine from today's BMX cruiser commute. The newish Mr. Pickwick statue in front of the Aldrich Public Library in Barre VT (sorry, sideways), and me at my parknpedal lot. I like how it always looks so dark and lonely at night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1120516.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p1120524.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I finally had a commute that broke up the norm in a good way. I encountered another cyclist on my commute. He was stopped at a crosswalk, while I was the stop light behind a bus. The light turned green, and I (smug as I am) fully expected to blow on past him. Instead as I pulled alongside the guy, and he began to talk to me. It turns out he is a foreign exchange student from Germany. We kept chatting and rode maybe a mile before I had to turn off. It was pretty cool, especially since I'm not typically the type to chat with strangers, although after growing up overseas for most of my childhood I find it easier sometimes to talk to non-Americans.

CB of the East
    Looks like a nice ride. Who took the pictures? How long?

Normal commute today. Feels like fall.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    I probably carried too much speed down the hill from my house in the swooping paved turns, I need to chill that out. I am happy enough with my crashes in the dirt
    Nothing like swooping paved turns to have fun on though!

Nice pics! Where are you located?

All the pix are cool! Here are mine from today's BMX cruiser commute. The newish Mr. Pickwick statue in front of the Aldrich Public Library in Barre VT (sorry, sideways), and me at my parknpedal lot. I like how it always looks so dark and lonely at night.
    Nice pics mtbx!

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I'm not typically the type to chat with strangers, although after growing up overseas for most of my childhood I find it easier sometimes to talk to non-Americans.
    Pretty cool. My previous commute had almost 16 miles of paved MUP and I rode/chatted with quite a few interesting people over the years, one of whom ended up becoming a good friend. You just never know.

Normal commute today. Feels like fall.
    Me too. Light rain, 50F. Definitely feeling fall-ish.

mtbr member
    Wow nice pics all!

Dry, warm and windy here. Before I left I turned the rear inside knob of my bb7 outwards 2 clicks and tadaa average speed for the round trip was 2 kph higher, almost 22kph/15mph. I looked at the caliper before and there was a gap on both sides of the rotor, just that the inner pad was tilted and I think the upper part rubbed on the rotor a bit. Or it was just my imagination

Looks like it could rain tomorrow afternoon. I say, bring it on

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow nice pics all!

Dry, warm and windy here. Before I left I turned the rear inside knob of my bb7 outwards 2 clicks and tadaa average speed for the round trip was 2 kph higher, almost 22kph/15mph. I looked at the caliper before and there was a gap on both sides of the rotor, just that the inner pad was tilted and I think the upper part rubbed on the rotor a bit. Or it was just my imagination

Looks like it could rain tomorrow afternoon. I say, bring it on
    I love your rain attitude Dutchman - it's the same as mine!

I used to ride BB7's. Got tired of having to continually adjust the knobs to keep decent braking action. Switched to TRP Hy/Rd brakes and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice ride. Who took the pictures? How long?
    One of my best friends took the pics; he is the manager of the only LBS I frequent. We frequently get together for rides when our schedules permit. This ride was 41.5 miles according to my GPS

Nice pics! Where are you located?
    These are all in the vicinity of Twin Falls, Idaho; this ride was 60/40 gravel/paved... there are miles of canal roads to be ridden.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Thx Woodway

You are riding Hy/RDs? I have had those a while but after a while I constantly suffered from sticky pistions, long lever travel and somehow the Shimano B01S always stopped braking after 3 weeks or a wet ride. I guess the pads are not compatible with Avid rotors that have been ridden with organic BB7 pads before. I also had the JuinTech R1 brakes (constantly sticky pistons) and the TRP Spyre (same pad problem).

So I went back to the BB7 and they are far from perfect, but they do the job all year round without maintenance. That is also the point where I stopped wrenching on the bike. After a year of trying bars, levers and brakes I decided its finished and time to ride on it, instead of wrenching around.

I even dont have to fiddle with the BB7 knobs so often anymore as in the beginning. I only keep dreaming about the TRP HyLex. Not because they are hydraulic, but the long hoods look so comfy, hhmmmm....

CB of the East
    Or a tailwind.
    I use to blame the BB7 brakes on my pigsley for all kinds of slowness. I thought they were rubbing when I put a lot of torgue on the wheel going uphill. For the most part I don't feel like my hydraulic disks slow me down even with a little pad rub. It is either imagination or crappy brakes. But yes, sticky or leaky pistons. The AAVID elixers stick and sometimes seem to produce brake fluid. (I'll need to bleed some off to get the pistons back out enough after hanging the bike. Quirky they are) Shimanos seem to leak in the extreme cold. The Shimano hydro road brakes have been flawless for 7000 miles on my cross bike. I haven't even changed the pads but I do have a set in stock for when it is time. I thought that might have been time 1000s of miles ago.

mtbr member
    A good ride this morning. A bit damp and it sounds like rain is coming in to the area for the next three or four days. At least it's almost the weekend.

mtbr member
    Wow nice pics all!

Nothing like finding some free speed!

I broke my chain in yesterday's afternoon commute and used up my last 10 speed quick link to get home quickly. Not sure what happened there, I don't think I was in between gears, and my chain wasn't dry. I put a 12 speed quick link in my commuter bag... hopefully I won't have to use it before I buy a 10 speed link, but maybe it is fine?

This morning was short sleeves and shorts. I skipped adding a mtb ride this morning, as I had a look at how fast I was increasing my hours on the bike per week, and didn't want to go up by more than 10% per week and risk injury (something my X Country running coach told me about increasing weekly mileage long ago...). I'm looking forward to some nice weekend mtb rides though.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Thought you might be somewhere in the Northwest Sage. Nice pics.

Dutchman, I've been on Hy/Rd's for several years. The original versions had some issues, as you mentioned. TRP recognized these and made improvements and allowed owners of the original brakes to exchange them for new ones at no cost. This made me a HUGE TRP fan. The new ones are great...no sticking pads, etc. I'd love to have full hydros on my commuter, but don't want to drop the dough. I think the Hy/Rd's are a nice compromise between full hydro and full mechanical.

Happy last day of summer everyone! I was able to take advantage by riding in shirtsleeves and shorts this morning, as it was 60F out. Should be in the mid-70's for the ride home tonight.

mtbr member
    A good semi-fat Friday this morning. Decently warm and dry. Though it looks strongly like I will be getting wet on the ride home today.

How was your commute today?-img_20180921_050250290.jpg

Some pics from yesterday afternoon:

How was your commute today?-img_20180920_141439717.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180920_140739433.jpg

Some pics from Monday or Tuesday:

How was your commute today?-img_20180913_160700911.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180913_160708785_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi woodway, ok that might explain part of the issues I had with th hy/rd.

Nice pics blockphi! Really makes me jealous!

another fast ride in this morning, it was 20C already.. Made my usual friday detour and made 30km today. The ride home was slower, coldfront with rain and wind moved in during the day. During my ride home it was 15C only. Can not remember a day where it was warmer in the morning than in the afternoon.

Rode 4 of 5 days this week. Wish you all a nice weekend!

CU CD

Moderator Moderator
    I thought I was going to get a 20mph tailwind this morning, and it was windy when I walked the dog. But as soon as I started pedaling the wind died and the rain started. I was warm enough, 50F, so not a problem other than some stuff will not be dry when I leave.

mtbr member
    The ride home was good... erm, resistance training. 80% of the ride was into a 13mph headwind...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    I have the honour of opening the new week?

Cold today. 9C and windy this morning. Had a merino longsleeve and thin gloves on for the first time after summer. 12C and a steady 20kt wind on the way home. It was partly headwind, partly tailwind. At least I managed to avoid the rain, it rained a lot today and it wasnt even forecasted. I have the feeling that my favorite weather site is getting worse and worse.

No riding until friday, will be in the other plant in france the next days. Flying there tomorrow early, coming back on thursday morning :-/

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to get to ride in sometime this week. We are getting a ton of rain. Not fun.

mtbr member
    Active rest day for my commute today, as I try to increase my weekly mtb volume without injury. It is weirdly difficult to hold myself back when I am on the bike. I am trying to occupy my mind with how to smooth out pedaling/use more muscles through the pedaling circles while concentrating at the same time on "pushing my feet over the top (12 o'clock) and dropping my heel" to maximize power.

CB of the East
    ^^
    Thinking about my pedal strokes lasts for about 30 seconds until my mind wanders off to something else. I can do one legged drills but honestly I don't notice much even if I put flats on my road bikes. I guess I am more of a masher.
    I have the honour of opening the new week?

Cold today. 9C and windy this morning. Had a merino longsleeve and thin gloves on for the first time after summer. 12C and a steady 20kt wind on the way home. It was partly headwind, partly tailwind. At least I managed to avoid the rain, it rained a lot today and it wasnt even forecasted. I have the feeling that my favorite weather site is getting worse and worse.

No riding until friday, will be in the other plant in france the next days. Flying there tomorrow early, coming back on thursday morning :-/
    The honor is all yours. Imagine how fresh your legs will feel when you get back.

The commute was good but a taste of what is coming. 40F/4C or so. I jumped to level 2 gloves but I should have gone for level 3.

mtbr member
    hah, yeah, 30 seconds of concentration every few minutes is about where I am at

Moderator Moderator
    Frost the last two mornings, so a chilly commute to start the week. BMX’d it again as I am sharing the bike love by loaning my gravel bike to a friend’s kid who is doing a hill race. You go downhill too, but only the uphills count toward your time. Bedwards, I know you love a good sufferfest https://www.braintree357.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Wet, but after driving yesterday (was running late and had a lot of packages to deliver to USPS), I decided to ride today. Weather app told me 0% chance of rain, google said rain all day long. It was raining lightly, but so worth it.

mtbr member
    There was a break in the rain today, so I was able to sneak in my morning commute. Still got wet from the wet roads (bike with fenders out of commission pending repairs), but it was nice to get back in my normal routine. Afternoon looks 50/50.

mtbr member
    No frost for my part of Alaska yet, but yesterday was windy and rainy (20-30 MPH) so I didn't ride. Today was not bad at all. 48F and dry. A bit of wind in town, but not too bad. A few trees down on the bike path from the winds yesterday, though.

Getting geared up for winter - found a few places here in town that have Kold Kutter ice screws in stock, so going to pick up 250 of those to stud up one Surly Nate tire to go with my remaining good Dillinger for the winter. Give them a try anyway and see how they work. I have a feeling they'll give more grip, but also slow me down a bit. Given that the predictions for this winter are rainy/icy rather than snowy I think grip will be more important.

CB of the East
    Frost the last two mornings, so a chilly commute to start the week. BMX’d it again as I am sharing the bike love by loaning my gravel bike to a friend’s kid who is doing a hill race. You go downhill too, but only the uphills count toward your time. Bedwards, I know you love a good sufferfest https://www.braintree357.com/
    Oh, that does look suffery. I'm doing the Dempsey Challenge next weekend and then I have to help my daughter move on the suffering weekend. Otherwise it might be interesting. Well, if it weren't 160 miles away.

We've been close to a frost but so far avoiding it. Maybe 38F this morning and I think we have a warming trend coming.

So Sunday we picked 6lbs of what we thought were honey mushrooms. But we weren't sure so we stopped there. Once we got them home and confirmed their identity and confirmed that they didn't "bother" us and that they were indeed delicious I went back out and picked another 8 or so pounds on my commute in this morning. How was your commute today?-20180923_130743.jpg

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I love your rain attitude Dutchman - it's the same as mine!

I used to ride BB7's. Got tired of having to continually adjust the knobs to keep decent braking action. Switched to TRP Hy/Rd brakes and never looked back.
    Hi all, I'm finally back. I hurt my knee running while on Vacation at the end of July, beginning of August. Finally feels normal.

I still run BB7's on my Macho Man. My problem is my front fork. The wheel sits crooked. I have to be real careful when reinstalling the wheel or the disc rubs. If it goes back in the same way it came out then things work perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had to drop off my wife's car at the shop today and they don't open until 7:30. I had an 8:30 meeting, 13 miles away with about 800 feet of elevation gain, long traffic lights. I wouldn't have time to shower before my meeting.

Solution: eBike. I made it with 5 minutes to spare. No sweat problem, changed my shoes and walking into the meeting.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Solution: eBike. I made it with 5 minutes to spare. No sweat problem, changed my shoes and walking into the meeting.
    Right on honkinunit! But my solution would have been to pound out the 13 miles. Arrive to the meeting slightly late, out of breath and then sit down looking slightly smug yet pretending nothing was out of the ordinary...

50 miles/8000 feet is the real deal MTBX...

Members who have read this thread: 176