Page 238 of 428 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248288338 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,900 of 21374
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Rode my new single speed to work today. Sunny and just shy of 50 today on the ride in. How can I complain about that in Michigan, near the middle of November??? I realized about 3 miles in to my ride that I need a stem with a higher rise. Lower back was killing me, and I feel very bent over on this bike. I happen to have another stem that I can try out, and will do so tomorrow before my commute in. I embraced my inner hipster, and wore jeans over my chamois. Felt really weird riding in jeans, as I don't think I can remember the last time I did it. One leg rolled up, hipster bike, in a kind of hippy area around campus, and I think I blended right in. Wrong helmet though, but I will keep the one that I have.

Ride home was 39 as I passed the bank near my place. Rode a few extra miles just getting the feel for one gear. Hills and grades are a problem for me. I have the legs, but I don't have the lungs. I am going to work on that for sure!

New messenger bag is doing the deal for me. I fit everything I needed today, including my dinner in my lunch bag. Shoes, scrubs, drawers, t-shirt, extra socks, and all my necessary small items, with some room to spare. Because I rolled my stuff, and used the inside of my shoes as storage, I could take more with me if needed.

I just want to say a quick thanks to everyone that posts here. It is a really nice and informative group of people here, and I am glad to have found this section of MTBR. I know that I am dorky because I post my daily commute, but you know, it is nice reading about the different conditions, temps, encounters, etc that we all have. No one at work gives two rats butts about commuting except for one guy I work with, and he stopped riding in. The feeling of a common hobby or method of transportation is nice to have with all of you, knowing that we are spread out all over the country, and the world. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rode to work this morning at 0500 hours....it took about an hour and then did my usual take the train halfway home then rode home. Got home at 2210 hours tonite. Well I promised myself I was going to ride to work again tomorrow morning......I made that promise this morning and when I got home tonite, I started making excuses for tomorrow morning.....

Anyone else every felt like that????

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    It was a brisk 27 F with little to no breeze this morning. Still wore the shorts and didn't freeze to death. My water bottle has not froze up yet this fall so It must still be warm enough to commute!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    ...I know that I am dorky because I post my daily commute, but you know, it is nice reading about the different conditions, temps, encounters, etc that we all have. No one at work gives two rats butts about commuting except for one guy I work with, and he stopped riding in. The feeling of a common hobby or method of transportation is nice to have with all of you, knowing that we are spread out all over the country, and the world. Thanks!!
    Huh? What? We are dorky? . No! Did anybody see my Strava ride Ahem.

Jordy, your posts are almost making me look forward to the snow but not until the lake freezes over.

My commutes are mostly uneventful but my recent interest in Strava is making me push hard in some spots. It helps to mix up the commute and boost the training.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm ready for some weather. Yeah, I said it. It's been chilly a few times but that's about it. The change of pace would be fun. Upper 20's this morning...10 or 15 deer... nothing to write home about.

But I am having some chainlube drama in my life... a couple (4? 5?) years ago I went into a Performance Bike superstore and they were were having a special on White Lightning wax-based chainlube...it was a "buy 12 get the 13th free" thing or something like that, so I wound up with like a gallon of the stuff, and it's all I've been using ever since. I really like the cleanliness of the wax stuff, and have had no issues with it at all. It's gotten me through several winters, etc, etc.

But I ran out a week or two ago. The drivetrain was getting dry (you do have to re-apply that stuff pretty regularly), and I realized it was gone. So all I had laying around at the moment was TriFlow.... not a chain lube by any means, and I was dreading putting something that wet and grit-attracting on my chain. But I was out of options so I did it.

Well... I'm experiencing a silent and happy drivetrain like I haven't experienced in 5 years. I didn't realize how dry the waxy stuff actually leaves it. Shifting is awesome, etc etc. It feels like I switched to a belt drive . Granted, it's horribly filthy. It's a nasty shade of black and I wouldn't dare touch it...I miss the cleanliness. But I'm seriously thinking about switching to a wet lube. I just never saw this change coming.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Ride in was good. Slept in almost 45 minutes past my alarm, so I was about 10 minutes late out the door. Thankfully I keep a bunch of spare stuff in my locker at the office. Body wipes, toothbrush, razor, that sort of thing.

Forgot to charge the thunderbolt taillight last night, and it died on me about a mile from the office. Glad that it was daylight by that time, so I didn't have to worry too much. However, it won't be a mistake made twice.

The new saddle is doing alright. Much more comfortable than the stock nosed saddle, or the Schwinn no pressure that is now on my wife's bike. Tomorrow's 15 mile ride with the 5 yr old on the trailer bike will be the deciding factor. If it doesn't work, I'll take it back and find one that does.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Natural Born Killer

I just want to say a quick thanks to everyone that posts here. It is a really nice and informative group of people here, and I am glad to have found this section of MTBR. I know that I am dorky because I post my daily commute, but you know, it is nice reading about the different conditions, temps, encounters, etc that we all have. No one at work gives two rats butts about commuting except for one guy I work with, and he stopped riding in. The feeling of a common hobby or method of transportation is nice to have with all of you, knowing that we are spread out all over the country, and the world. Thanks!!
    It's nice to have peers no matter what the endeavor. I always feel like the people I know think I'm from Mars for riding a bike to work. I know it helps motivate me to read about the conditions (ie: weather, traffic) that others willingly endure.
    BTW, jeans+rolled up leg+messenger bag=hipster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'm ready for some weather. Yeah, I said it. It's been chilly a few times but that's about it. The change of pace would be fun. Upper 20's this morning...10 or 15 deer... nothing to write home about.

But I am having some chainlube drama in my life... a couple (4? 5?) years ago I went into a Performance Bike superstore and they were were having a special on White Lightning wax-based chainlube...it was a "buy 12 get the 13th free" thing or something like that, so I wound up with like a gallon of the stuff, and it's all I've been using ever since. I really like the cleanliness of the wax stuff, and have had no issues with it at all. It's gotten me through several winters, etc, etc.

But I ran out a week or two ago. The drivetrain was getting dry (you do have to re-apply that stuff pretty regularly), and I realized it was gone. So all I had laying around at the moment was TriFlow.... not a chain lube by any means, and I was dreading putting something that wet and grit-attracting on my chain. But I was out of options so I did it.

Well... I'm experiencing a silent and happy drivetrain like I haven't experienced in 5 years. I didn't realize how dry the waxy stuff actually leaves it. Shifting is awesome, etc etc. It feels like I switched to a belt drive . Granted, it's horribly filthy. It's a nasty shade of black and I wouldn't dare touch it...I miss the cleanliness. But I'm seriously thinking about switching to a wet lube. I just never saw this change coming.
    Strange. I just made the switch from wet to dry about 2 months ago, and I think the dry is better. I've seen a semi-dry lube that I'll give a shot after this bottle is empty.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    BTW, jeans+rolled up leg+messenger bag=hipster!
    Add in the bike that I am using, and I am like a poster boy lol. I like it though, I honestly do. Less to worry about locking it up at work, even though I know it is pretty safe. If it gets stolen, it is 1/3 the price of my Specialized.

Of all places, Wal-Mart carries White Lightning. I know, shaking your head already. They do though. I am currently using Pedro's Ice Wax 2.0 (from my mtb days) Good for all weather it says. No issues so far.

Just swapped out my stem for a higher rise, and my saddle, because the stock one just wasn't cutting it. I kept my Specialized BG saddle from my FS Stumpjumper when I sold it. Completely broken in, very comfortable, and looks great on the bike. I am a bit stretched out on this bike, and compared measurements to my TriCross, and I am about an inch more stretched out. I moved the saddle forward, but I will need to play with the setup before I get it just right. Looking for another stem with a bit more rise if I can find it, or shorter. The commute today should be great. Sunny and 48 by the time I go in. Low of 37 for the ride home. I just love this!!! I am like a kid, so excited, cannot wait to get on my bike. Am I really 41? Yep.

mtbr member

I don't blame you for riding in jeans. I ride in my work pants (similar to dickies) quite often.

I remember my days as an ER Tech in a prison unit back in TX. The walk from the main building to the RMF (regional medical facility. A prison hospital, if you will) was about a half mile of uncovered pavement. Those scrubs didn't have a chance against that ice cold wind.

So far, I haven't experienced much cold weather here in Florida. Not like that back in northeast Texas. Really missing it, to be honest. It's almost Thanksgiving and the high today is 81.

mtbr member
    What is it about volkswagons that makes so many of their drivers complete *******s?

mtbr member
    May 2006

I have used tri flow as the go to product for 8 years now...just cause it is always available....I did try Pedro's ice wax for a while in winter...but it gummed things up too much.

Just bought a bottle of White lightning...cause it was on sale at the till...we will see...

Tri flow just seems to work.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    What is it about volkswagons that makes so many of their drivers complete *******s?

mtbr member

So. Much. Win.

mtbr member
    Down in the 20's for the first time this morning. This is the day every year that I'm most thankful for the gore jersey my wife got me a couple years ago Took an extra minute to warm up in the shower at work, and it was glorious.

Now I'm gonna be way too warm on the way home, unless I stay later than anyone should on a Friday.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member

I went from White Lightning (the green bottle) to WD40 White Lithium (spray can). Been great except for the dirty black just like the Triflow. Best part is the WD40 is cheaper than the White Lightning and more of it.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    I took a few hours off to get in last licks on the local trails. Rifle season starts tomorrow so they are closed to MTB'g. There was just a little snow left, but enough that I was glad the studs were already on for the slickery roots.

First tracks
    How was your commute today?-p1020982.jpg

New bridge courtesy of the Thunder Chickens snowmobile club.
    How was your commute today?-p1020978.jpg

weirdo
    But dorky is GOOD!
    Currenty 42, bright, and breezy. It`s been pretty nice lately for my commutes, but I remember seeing some lows in the `teens comming up, better check the forecast again before deciding on my "ensamble" before leaving for work today. It feels like a temp drop is right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    In the past I've replaced plenty of spokes, trued plenty of terrible wheels at the co-op, and swapped a hub from one rim to another, but I've never built one from scratch.

So I've got bare roads, and two bikes with studded tires, which is no fun.
    Good luck with the wheel build. I`ve laced up about a dozen now, and IMO, it`s one of the greatest pleasures in life.

You don`t keep one bike unstudded?

I realized about 3 miles in to my ride that I need a stem with a higher rise. Lower back was killing me, and I feel very bent over on this bike.

Thanks!!
    That white SS (fixie?) that you posted a couple days ago? I don`t blame you for wanting a higher stem!!!

And thank YOU for the same.

I'm ready for some weather. Yeah, I said it.
    May it be long and wet. Please.

Chain lube used to be one of the items I consistantly bought from an LBS. Tried a few and settled on TriFlow. Then I started having trouble finding it locally because all our shops went to New And Improved TriFlow Dry. I bought one bottle cause that`s all I could find, but hated it- it just laid on top of the chain instead of flowing in where it needs to be, so I started ordering giant bottles of Original Recipe TriFlow from Amazon. Sorry, LBS- one less reason for you to exist.

EDIT: Nice bridge, MtbX
    They close the trails for hunting season? Do they allow hunting right around town, or are the trails way out there?
    Recalculating....

Natural Born Killer
    Oh damn, somebody had to bring up Nazis!
    Seriously, after some experimentation in other fields I've gone from White Lightning chain lube to my own recipe of white lithium grease, ATF, mineral spirits, and acetone. While the dry lube is clean, I was never convinced it was a good chain lube because it seemed to disappear in such a short time. I know wet lubes are dirty but everything seems to just run better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Bedwards Of The West
    I had always put TriFlow in the same categoy as WD-40 for chainlube use: it says you can on the bottle, but it's just not formulated for that so it will be a mess.

Jeffscott and Rodar, how long are you guys going between re-applications?

Edit: Rodar -They close some of the roads in Plumas National Forest to vehicles during deer season. I've stumbled upon closure signs up there. Not sure if they'd apply that to bikes or not...?

Slay the Dragon
    I admire you folk for riding in temps < 32 degrees. That's my cutoff. I used to like running in 20 degree weather (grew up in the Midwest). Makes you feel alive and have accomplished something.

When it gets to be that cold around here (really below 40), that's when I call the commute season. Says the crotchety old man....

weirdo
    Jeffscott and Rodar, how long are you guys going between re-applications?
    I use the audible alarm system (bike starts to sound like a tracked vehicle) to determine when I need to lube up. If riding strictly on dry pavement, somewhere around 300 mi. On dusty roads or in wet conditions, it can be as little as 6 hours rolling time.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    13F at my house this AM. The snow was nice and crusty - looking like some prime riding this weekend. Was 23 when I got to Anchorage, so I was a bit over dressed. Generally a fairly standard ride.

mtbr member
    Glad the bag has worked out, Tenspeed.

Contrary to some evidence, VWs are not a sinister devilish Nazi plot. It is just that they can be (not all of them) a blast to drive. So for those who can't have two thoughts at the same time (or they rattle too loudly in their empty skulls), getting into the fahrvergnugen means they cannot consider anything else - like safety and other road users. Dodge pickups seem to do the same thing or select that sort of driver. Probably nice folks until they drive.

I lube when I either get a noisy or a poorly shifting drivetrain. Only used wet triflow. Hate the dirty chains but it seems to work.

Nice bridge and pics, Mtbxplorer. I would not ride that trail in hunting season. Drunk hunters can be lethal.

Dorky is good. Dead or left for dead, not so much. I can't believe I rode as I did 40 years ago and expected to be seen. Of course bike lights and flashlights were really crappy then. Bell helmets were new. Dorkiness wasn't very effective to add safety then.

Yesterday I was almost slower than a spotted salamander into the wind. Miss the old sign off, Rodar.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I used to use tri-flow, but in the winter wet here in the Seattle area I was having to reapply daily. It just has no staying power in wet conditions. I've been using Chain-L for the last couple of years and have been darn happy with it. It attracts dirt and grim but it's the only lube I have found that will let me ride a couple of weeks between lubes in consistently wet conditions (a couple weeks of daily commuting for me was 360 miles).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Good luck with the wheel build. I`ve laced up about a dozen now, and IMO, it`s one of the greatest pleasures in life.

You don`t keep one bike unstudded?
    3 bikes - the hardtail stays unstudded, but it also hibernates all winter. And it's the one with the gimpy wheel, which is why I've got plenty of time to goof around with a wheelbuild.

I had always put TriFlow in the same categoy as WD-40 for chainlube use: it says you can on the bottle, but it's just not formulated for that so it will be a mess.
    Triflow has some sort of magic dirt attractor. I've been using winter-weight chainsaw bar oil for a couple of years now, and even though it's super sticky it keeps things a lot cleaner. I bought a quart for $3, and probably still have $2.50-worth left.

mtbr member

Ride home was good. Swung by the library to do some switching out, and a few homeless/unemployed were gathered around, apparently one fella from a "rival group" swiped another fellas bike. He watched it happen while he was upstairs, but couldn't make it down in time. Talked to him for a few minutes, got him to calm down. After talking, he said that when he found him, he wouldn't do anything, just take back his bike. I can only hope that's the case.

Swung down a new section on my way home to work, and spotted an old bingo hall that has been out of use for some time. Had some interesting graffiti. Check it out.

As a Catholic, I'm not exactly sure what to make of the last one. It doesn't appear to be sacrilegious, or done in ill will. The only thing I can think of is that the hall used to be ran by Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Charities, with proceeds going to fund hospitals, food banks, so on and so forth. Strange.

And, as I was making my way into my neighborhood, coming to an intersection, I bump into none other than Al Bundy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Contrary to some evidence, VWs are not a sinister devilish Nazi plot. It is just that they can be (not all of them) a blast to drive. So for those who can't have two thoughts at the same time (or they rattle too loudly in their empty skulls), getting into the fahrvergnugen means they cannot consider anything else - like safety and other road users. Dodge pickups seem to do the same thing or select that sort of driver. Probably nice folks until they drive.
    That reminds me...my commute takes me by a VW dealer with the blowback fahrvergnugen guy on the window...

Name:  VW.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  17.3 KB

I thought it would be pretty easy for me to add a few wheels to make him a recumbent fahrvegnugen guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yesterday I was almost slower than a spotted salamander into the wind. Miss the old sign off, Rodar.

mtbr member
    Was gonna have a nice ride in daylight today (I work nights so now my commutes both ways are dark now), but with sustained winds of 18-20mph with gusts over 35mph, I played it safe and stayed home and researched unlocked knockoff smart phones on Amazon ($150 goes a long way), and Campy grouppos on Ribble ($150 doesn't go far at all).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Strange. I just made the switch from wet to dry about 2 months ago, and I think the dry is better. I've seen a semi-dry lube that I'll give a shot after this bottle is empty.
    You have to keep it wet in the winter. Finish Line Wet lube and KMC Chain Lube are two of my favorite. So far the KMC has proven to be less of a mess than the Wet, but I'll see how it holds on this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    You have to keep it wet in the winter. Finish Line Wet lube and KMC Chain Lube are two of my favorite. So far the KMC has proven to be less of a mess than the Wet, but I'll see how it holds on this winter.
    I can see the need for something wet and heavy duty for a winter in other parts of the country. Down here, even in the winter, my biggest concern is sand. Although these summers sure are wet and rainy.

Moderator Moderator
    I really liked ProGold ProLink, even though you have to re-apply it often, until I tried ProGold Xtreme. Both clean and lube well with just a rag. I also like that you can buy a 16oz bottle for just a little more than (2) 4oz bottles. Products | ProGold Biking

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride in, not that great of a ride home. Was colder than I expected. Forgot to take my thicker Under Armor shirt, so I wore the one I rode in on, which is thinner. Arms were frozen. Snotted up like crazy, couldn't get my breathing into a good cycle. Got a compliment on my bike at the light by a couple in a car. Not a bad ride, just not that great. I will say that I am loving this NiteRider Lumina that I am using. Lights up the dark roads/paths really nicely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Snow is here. Rode my summer route 100% today, 1st day this week due to various issues. To much snow...working from home, etc. Glad to see the trails groomed so they were at least ridable. Took about 20 minutes longer then normal. Sluff all along Dowling. Testing out the VeeRubber Snowshoe, extra width helped with float, extra traction helped me get up the hills on our loose base, dense warm snow conditions.

Where did you buy the vee rubber snowshoe?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Am I really considering flipping my wheel to run fixed? Is that a good idea for a commuter? Not too many hills on my ride. Not too much stopping other than a few lights. I can make the 8 mile ride only hit 9 lights or so. I am intrigued by the concept. I wish that I could do a coaster brake setup, because I don't always want to pedal, but maybe that will be better for me if I have to pedal?

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I can see the need for something wet and heavy duty for a winter in other parts of the country. Down here, even in the winter, my biggest concern is sand. Although these summers sure are wet and rainy.
    Ah, sorry I forgot we're not all in the same latitude. My reply was directed towards all of us who were on the chain lube discussion, and I didn't wanted to quote too long of a reply, and yours happened to be the shorter one on the topic.

For sand, I'd recommend using a wet lube, but to wipe any excess off as much as possible. Otherwise if it's dry out there, the lube should stay on for quite a while and the chain will stay clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Ah, sorry I forgot we're not all in the same latitude. My reply was directed towards all of us who were on the chain lube discussion, and I didn't wanted to quote too long of a reply, and yours happened to be the shorter one on the topic.

For sand, I'd recommend using a wet lube, but to wipe any excess off as much as possible. Otherwise if it's dry out there, the lube should stay on for quite a while and the chain will stay clean.
    So far, I've been having great results with White Lightning dry lube. I apply it every morning, and it does me just fine, although my application is probably overkill. Nothing new there, though.

mtbr member
    Snowpocalypse happening today. Not sure how much snow we're getting, but there are plenty of foot-deep drifts and it's still coming down. It's nice that this is happening on a saturday, because it means I can lazily put gears on my winterbike today or tomorrow. The last couple of years it's happened mid-week, and I've had to scramble to get it done the night before.

And I realized that with my gimpy rearwheel I can just add a tomicog, and I'll finally have an excuse to try my streetcruiser as a fixie.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-nor View Post
    Where did you buy the vee rubber snowshoe?
    Speedway Cycles, my LBS here in Anchorage. 907-222-1967

Ex-Clydesdale
    I'm right around 6500 commuting miles for the year, was planning on being over 7000 by the end. Probably won't happen now, was literally two minutes into my hour ride home yesterday when my front tire washed out on a crack on the sidewalk (still a mystery to me how that happens to 2.15" Big Apples). Felt my left hand get bent back, chin slammed into the sidewalk. I knew something was wrong with my hand, but being made of 90% stubbornness and 10% common sense, I rode the 17 miles home anyway with my front wheel wobbling against the loosened brakes (there's an argument for disc brakes right there). Went to an orthopedist today, x-rays showed a complete fracture in the largest bone in my left pinky, have a splint on now, cast next week. It's not even a manly injury, but a broken pinky. Medical costs eat into the new bike fund (Surly Ogre), too. *grumble*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vbrwe5fk9Mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Oh man Dwayne, that looked nasty. Hope you heal quick!

After the road debris debacle earlier this week got the bike back from the shop. Funny thing is, my wife brought the bike in since I was at work and the guy knew my bike on sight...so either I'm there far too much, or I've made an impression, and asked what happened this time. Since he's wrenched on it plenty this year he basically fully rebuilt the rear wheel and overhauled both hubs. I figure I got 6,000+ miles on the bike with minimal (read: none) maintenance on the hubs so it was past due. He also checked the derailleur and it was fine - luckily. Weather seems to changing so the project this weekend is to get everything sorted for winter commuting. Not putting on the studs yet...waiting until the first snow that sticks.

weirdo
    Oh, crap! Besides expense and inconvenience, it sounds and looks very painful
    What about your chin, jaw, and mouth? And any bike damage beyond the front wheel?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dwayne, I can't see anything on the video that you ran over. Hard to believe that a joint did that. The God of sidewalks on your case? A finger is better than a concussion and a broken face. I saved the forum from my ugly mug as the damage made it even worse. Didn't need the negative votes.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Wow that crash was pretty bad. The joint in the sidewalk must have just been wide enough to mess with your front tire. Hope you get healed up, and major kudos for the miles ridden to work this year, that is extremely impressive!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hope you heal soon Dwayne.

Got in a quick eight mile mt. bike ride in Blue Diamond today. Winds blasting. Cold in the shade and warm in the sun. Trails empty as can be. I've come to the conclusion that Vegas mt. bikers only venture onto the single track under the most optimum of conditions and mostly in the mornings. The half a dozen afternoon rides I've done over the last month have only spotted two or three riders each time. Nice having the trails to myself. . .hoping to get my commuting back on track next week. Hard to get consistent with some much time off lately. I've had a five day and three four day weekends over the last month. Next week I'm striving to make the full five. And then the next week is four days off again.

mtbr member
    Prayers and thoughts for quick healing, and at the bare minimum, a cast that allows for at least some joy riding around the neighborhood.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Not so much of a commute as it was just a ride on my commute route. 10PM at night, in the middle of November, in Michigan, and it is 55 out. How could I not go???? Saturday night, nice night, so I headed out and went down to the campus. Lots of nice things to look at, if you know what I mean. Rode a little more, and when I went to head home, the rain started. Not too bad as I wheeled out of the neighborhood I cut through. Well, that changed as I neared the campus again. The few drops I felt a mile back turned into a constant rain. Not hard, not a downpour, but just rain. The wind picked up, and honestly almost knocked me off my bike a few times. I am heading east, and the wind was blasting from the south, and one gust nearly took me down. I was already being cautious with a slick skinny tire on wet pavement, and that took me totally off guard. This is my first road bike since I was in middle school. Not quite used to that skinny slick tire set. I was worried about being visible. My bag is reflective, and I had a blinker in the back, but I know that visibility is decreased at night in the rain. I cut down to the roads with less traffic, and got to my bike lane and bike paths and made it home. I was drenched. Water collected in my shoe, jeans were soaked, shirt absolutely soaked.

My hands? Dry. I have a pair of Specialized Deflect gloves that I was hesitant about buying. The more I use them, the more I like them. Not enough padding, but I am adjusting to them. They are for cooler weather, not super cold. Wind proof, and I guess water proof. My hands were bone dry when I pulled them off. They have a reflective strip on them as well.

All in all, a fun little trip. Just wanted to get more miles on the SS before the temps drop, and the white stuff flies.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I'm right around 6500 commuting miles for the year, was planning on being over 7000 by the end. Probably won't happen now, was literally two minutes into my hour ride home yesterday when my front tire washed out on a crack on the sidewalk (still a mystery to me how that happens to 2.15" Big Apples). ...Went to an orthopedist today, x-rays showed a complete fracture in the largest bone in my left pinky, have a splint on now, cast next week. It's not even a manly injury, but a broken pinky.
    Impressive how far your bike went without you on it - maybe there was something slippery there. Hope you heal up well and don't get a more manly injury anytime soon.

mtbr member
    That was a nasty spill Dwayne. Hope you heal up, and that it doesn't keep you off the bike for too long.

Aside for crashes, does anyone other than me get weirdo cycling injuries?

WARNING - POTENTIALLY GRAPHIC CONTENT AHEAD

A few years ago my left eye really started to hurt. Went to the gp and he gave me some light anitbiotics, but after a few days things were even worse so I went to my optometrist. He said I had an ulcer on my eye. It was basically like it sounds - a big yellow bruise. He'd asked if I'd been welding or doing construction, but I realized it was from riding. It was springtime, and there was all sorts of crap in the air from the melt, and something had embedded itself in there. He gave me a couple of drugs, and I couldn't wear contacts for a few weeks, and it eventually healed.

So then more recently I've had a sore on my cheek. It's not quite a pimple, and it's not just deadskin. I thought maybe it was because of winter, but it's been weeks and it's not getting better. This past week I've been diligently cleaning and moisturizing and trying hydrocortisone, but it hasn't had any effect.

I looked closely at it today, and I swore there was something in there. Is it stubble, or just a blackhead? I couldn't tell. So I exfoliated the crap out of it, and...something came out. It was about the length of stubble, but quite a bit thicker. Two colors - black and yellowish. It was pretty tiny, but I couldn't squish or bend it with my fingers, and it didn't disintegrate in water like a splinter usually would. I should have tried to see if it was magnetic but I didn't think of it. Anyway, hopefully that's the end of that.

I'd rather be on my bike
    You would be surprised at what hair will turn into when it is embedded in your skin like that.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 5019/5000
    2016 miles: 3984/6000