Page 237 of 237 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237
Results 23,601 to 23,697 of 23697
    mtbr member
    I'm back after and unplanned week off the bike. Had in-laws in from down south and, while I didn't take time off of work, found that with needing to pick up kids and such that biking was just not in the cards. They left on Wednesday, but couldn't ride Thursday as I had to head down to the Kenai peninsula to get my grocery shopping on - I now have a freezer full of salmon to keep me for the winter.

How was your commute today?-herelittlefishy.jpg

It was a wonderful weekend for it. Sunny and warm. Always nice when standing up to one's chest in cold arse Alaska water for hours on end.

How was your commute today?-enjoying-sun.jpg

I was able to fill my full permit of 55 fish on three tides - pretty good clip, that. Was able to get home and to my own bed by 3:30 AM on Saturday. Hit the trails for a nice little ~20 miler on Saturday afternoon. The trails were bone dry, but the glacial silt compacts down into stuff that is slick as can be even when dry. Hit a switchback corner with too much speed and went down. Not hard, but eye-opening. Good to know the limits.

How was your commute today?-saturday-ride.jpg

After a might too much to drink Saturday night, I ended up punishing myself with a nice little 40-miler. The plan was to do about 25, but the weather was nice and the work of peddling ate away the last of my headache, so I just kept going.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g22940734692

This morning was a bit of a hard go with some wooden legs, but nice all the same. Though I think I had a bit of a long ride hangover today - you know that feeling you get after riding long in the sun and then not getting maybe enough fluids back in afterwards - headache, stiff, sore, and dragging.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Another weirdo named Brian and proud of it!

Recent picture

I can be the wierdo of the west, BrianMc the wierdo of the center and bedwards the wierdo of the east. We have the whole US covered!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    This morning was a bit of a hard go with some wooden legs, but nice all the same. Though I think I had a bit of a long ride hangover today - you know that feeling you get after riding long in the sun and then not getting maybe enough fluids back in afterwards - headache, stiff, sore, and dragging.
    That's a lot of fish blockphi! You going to freeze the fillets, smoke them, or ??. I've been fishing about a dozen time on the Kanektok River in SW Alaska and the first year I went, I brought home 50lbs of salmon and my wife was about to kill me ("what are we going to do with all this fish?"). Hope your legs feel better tomorrow.

I working remote today, got a nice 35 mile ride in near my place early this morning before it gets hot. Just beautiful (but no pics).

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Blockphi,

nice fish! I'll be taking vacation at the end of the week and have some fishing planned with my sons in the Gulf of Mexico! Wish us luck!

I logged my "recorded" 200 mile week last week. I had to put in two rides yesterday to put me over. Rode the gravel bike 25 miles in the morning, had to do some repairs around the house and BBQ, so i rode another 25 on the "road" bike in the evening. It was drizzling a little which really was a welcome relief to the high temps earlier in the day.

Gonna crack 3,100 miles on the way home tonight. Managed to put in 550 miles on the MMD since completing it. Despite its weight, its a great commuter bike and faster than it should be.

No bike for the next ten days. Gonna have to try running instead. Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    That's a lot of fish blockphi! You going to freeze the fillets, smoke them, or ??.

This batch were mixed between fillets and whole fish frozen. Heading to Copper River this weekend to see what I can do on a permit for that area. If we get enough there I'd suspect some of that will be smoked and some canned. I like to can some with hot pepper in them. Make an amazing sandwich.

@z1r - good luck with your fishing. Hopefully it's not too hot in the Gulf for ya. The one time I went fishing there off South Padre in Texas it was brutal hot.

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-img_8600.jpg
    Laughing and deadly serious at the same time? The right side of my handlebars sheared off in my hands while riding. Luckily I was on an off-street paved trail, or else I might be dead or paralyzed now. The broken handlebar piece jammed into space above the front wheel. Somehow I just have some scraped knuckles. I bought the bike new 3 years and 2 months ago. It's a steel cross bike with no carbon parts, although the handlebar might be aluminum (it was never tightened beyond the recommended 5 Nm afaik). I have contacted the shop and manufacturer, but I will probably have to replace the handlebar (and stem for safety, replace them every 2-3 years!) myself... I will look into a thicker diameter at the stem if it isn't already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8600.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	1209360
    Laughing and deadly serious at the same time? The right side of my handlebars sheared off in my hands while riding. Luckily I was on an off-street paved trail, or else I might be dead or paralyzed now. The broken handlebar piece jammed into space above the front wheel. Somehow I just have some scraped knuckles. I bought the bike new 3 years and 2 months ago. It's a steel cross bike with no carbon parts, although the handlebar might be aluminum (it was never tightened beyond the recommended 5 Nm afaik). I have contacted the shop and manufacturer, but I will probably have to replace the handlebar (and stem for safety, replace them every 2-3 years!) myself... I will look into a thicker diameter at the stem if it isn't already.
    Holy shizz. I've never seen that before. I mean, I've seen broken handlebars, but either as a result of a crash or a poor landing after hucking a jump. But just riding along? Nope.

CB of the East

Great, now I have something else to worry about. I have handlebars and stems that are 30 years old. 2-3 years seems kind of frequent. I shudder to think of the stress I have put on my cross bike offroad.

Somebody else here reported on seeing this happen once before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Great, now I have something else to worry about. I have handlebars and stems that are 30 years old. 2-3 years seems kind of frequent. I shudder to think of the stress I have put on my cross bike offroad.

Somebody else here reported on seeing this happen once before.
    Yeah, the last recommendation I saw was to do a safety check on any carbon or aluminum handlebar and stem every 2 years, and replace every 3 years, due to fatigue. Also, the recommendation is to replace both stem and bar after each crash... I find these easier to swallow than the ideas about frame fatigue, since handlebars and stems can be relatively cheap.

Also, my next bar is going to be 31.8 at the stem, and steel if I can find one.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Laughing and deadly serious at the same time?
    Holy schmikers...you dodged a big one there. Wow.

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes B rock, glad you are OK, that is scarey! Bedwards, that is an impressive feat in a 25mph zone; I have seen similar head scratcher car accidents, where you think, wow, a stunt driver couldn't have done that if he tried. Nice haul blockphi, well done. Picked up my buddy at the airport in Boston yesterday, so only a short ride yesterday to leave my car at the park and ride and pick up his 3 miles away. We got back at 3 a.m. due to flight delays, so not riding in this morning either.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Easy ride this morning - 64F and clear. Supposed to be 90F on the way home tonight. Yikes, that's HOT for us.

CB of the East
    Yeah, the last recommendation I saw was to do a safety check on any carbon or aluminum handlebar and stem every 2 years, and replace every 3 years, due to fatigue. Also, the recommendation is to replace both stem and bar after each crash... I find these easier to swallow than the ideas about frame fatigue, since handlebars and stems can be relatively cheap.

Also, my next bar is going to be 31.8 at the stem, and steel if I can find one.
    Well you're the guy that just ended up with a handlebar in his spokes so it's tough to argue but that maintenance interval seems crazy. With the number of bikes I have I'd be constantly changing handlebars and stems! The only thing I found when I looked it up was this:
    When should you replace your carbon handlebar? - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com
    Which says:
    Mtbr: Should you replace your carbon handlebars after a certain amount of time? How about aluminum?
    Renthal: Speaking only for Renthal handlebars, if the product is used as intended there is no reason why it should be periodically changed unless it has been damaged in a crash or some other abuse. This is the same for aluminum or carbon fiber handlebars.
    I think I'd trust carbon not to stress crack more than aluminum or steel. I hate to think you will be riding around with 2lb handlebars for the rest of your life because you had this bad experience.

I was eyeballing my handlebar on the way home. Rides have been good. It is muggy as hell but I've been missing the rain. I rode in with my wife today.

mtbr member
    A rough one today. Beautiful weather in the valley and a bit rainy in town. The ride was rough, though due to taking a bit of a major crash last night while mountain biking with the kids. Hit a jump I've hit 100s of times, but was overshooting the corner that comes off the jump landing and went down hard. A couple of bruised ribs and a nicely cut and bruised knee - of course the one I had surgery on last October - so stiff, sore, and tire today as it was a bit of a challenge to sleep last night. Good times.

CB of the East
    ^^Some people never learn. I'm one of those people so I can say that. Hope you heal up soon. You'll be wincing every time you cough of sneeze for a few weeks. But you knew that.

mtbr member
    A rough one today. Beautiful weather in the valley and a bit rainy in town. The ride was rough, though due to taking a bit of a major crash last night while mountain biking with the kids. Hit a jump I've hit 100s of times, but was overshooting the corner that comes off the jump landing and went down hard. A couple of bruised ribs and a nicely cut and bruised knee - of course the one I had surgery on last October - so stiff, sore, and tire today as it was a bit of a challenge to sleep last night. Good times.
    ouch. glad we're both smiling, mostly, about our recent off the bike experiences

as far as the 3 year replacement thing goes, it is the kind of manufacturer covering their ass kind of recommendation, but I think for me, some kind of timeline is good because I shrug off a lot of crashes on my mountain bike, and occasionally the road bike, so my handlebars and helmets (I'm going 5 years before helmet replacement) will have taken a few dings after a few years

Moderator Moderator
    Dodged the rain this morning. Decided to bikecommute despite the Wednesday group trailride I usually do, because I thought it might get rained out. Sure enough the trails were closed this afternoon after about 1/2" of rain. Looks like I may or may not get wet and see scattered thunderstorms on the way home, depending upon when I get out of here and the luck of the draw. This morning was good but crazy humid, it felt like the air had no air in it when I went up the last mile hill to the office.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Heal up blockphi.

Had an all day meeting in Redmond (home of Microsoft) today. Going in early this morning was fantastic - 63F, clear, beautiful morning.

Coming home was a different plan all together - 20 miles and ~1200 feet of climbing in 92 degree heat. I'm just not used to that kind of heat. Made it fine but I was going RREEAALL SSLLOOWW cranking up the hills. Supposed to be hot again tomorrow. No rain in sight for the next ten days.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well-wishes, folks. I get the strong sense that I won't be hitting the trails for a week or two as even the bumps on the road send shockwaves of pain through my ribcage. Good times. That said, I did ride in today. Not bad in the valley, but damp in town again. Supposed to be a bit grey and wet all day, though right now it's not looking terrible so I shouldn't get too much more wet when I make the ride over to the client's office.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Hang in there blockphi!

Truth in advertiising on the ride in yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p1120130.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    63F and clear again this morning. Supposed to be 90+ again for the ride home. I'd take some rain right now. Have a good weekend!

mtbr member
    Semi-fat Friday ride in today. The big tires made it a bit more comfortable riding than on the road bike. Right now my plan is to catch up on sleep tomorrow and then maybe tentatively ride some trail on Sunday - maybe with a rib girdle on. We'll see.

Nice morning in the valley - clear and sunny. Gray and overcast in town.

How was your commute today?-semifat-friday.jpg

Just came across this image from Monday night, just scant minutes before my wonderful crash.

Pride before the fall or something, right?

How was your commute today?-flight.jpg

CB of the East
    ^^Of only somebody could have caught the crash action. Looking good there.

Not much to report here. I rode in some light rain yesterday morning even though I could have carpooled. It cleared up for the ride home. Then we both rode in together this morning. My mileage for the year is pretty low because I haven't done much for long rides.

Moderator Moderator
    I just checked yesterday and am at a bit over 1000 miles for the year, I was kinda disappointed as I feel like I've been riding more. I don't have a spreadsheet from last year to compare the months though. Doesn't include BMX (no computer mount) or trailrides (I use a different device for tracking the dog or none), but those don't add up to too much.
    Yesterday there were torrential downpours midday but I missed those.
    Great pic blockphi!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I just checked yesterday and am at a bit over 1000 miles for the year, I was kinda disappointed as I feel like I've been riding more. I don't have a spreadsheet from last year to compare the months though. Doesn't include BMX (no computer mount) or trailrides (I use a different device for tracking the dog or none), but those don't add up to too much.
    Yesterday there were torrential downpours midday but I missed those.
    Great pic blockphi!
    1000 miles is still a good bit of work to achieve. The important thing is getting out on the bike, right?

mtbr member
    Woodway asks for pics of the vacation rides so here is a link to an album:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/YCpVF17SSPcG2vJy6

Unfortunately I do not know how to include the pics here directly or how to add comments in the album (since Google discontinued Picase and forced me to use Google Photos it does not work anymore....) I post the stories behind here:

I started 150km before our holiday address. Started off bad, when I was ready to go I missed my sunglasses and did not find them. I had hoped that I forgot them in the car but unfortunately they went permanently missing :-/ Furthermore I've chosen a relatively light / bikepacking option with two small front panniers and a bag with a rolltop closure on the rear rack. On the rear I had tent, sleeping bag and airmattress. The rest was in the panniers (no backpack). I choose this setup because I have no bikepacking bags, but also to test if the front rack would hold up since I had to improvise while mounting them on the fork, since it does not have dedicated lowrider eyelets. I previously tried to mount a Tubus Smarti (which attaches on the V-Brake mounts instead of eyelets) but that one did not fit either since the lower eyelets were located inconveniently. I was only camping one night so I did not need much clothing, it was very warm anyway. First time also that I went camping without a stove or anything.

I had planned the route before on my phone with the option "bicycle including gravel roads". This led me on a variety of surfaces, almost all of them suitable for riding and mostly free of motorised traffic or at least with a separate bikepath along the roads. I rode along the coast of the baltic sea most of the time on the first day. It was busy, it is a popular vacation are and there were a lot of tourists along the way, pedestrians and a lot of (E-)bikes. Those tourists can be really unpredictive, some people clearly never ride a bike otherwise. I was glad to have a bell on my bike! And some of them were very slow despite being on an e-bike. That was something I have never seen before. About halfway I made break for coffee, ice and coffee. After the tourist coastal towns I came in calmer, agricultural areas. Somewhere here I felt my rear wheel slipping a bit, which happened later again. I did not think about it long, I was on unpaved roads after all. After ~96km I arrived in Stralsund at the local kayaking club. They (and the club I am in) are a member in the german kayaking association, which means they allow all members to camp on the site. So I paid 5€ for the night and could use the shower and toilets. I dropped my bags, talked to other paddlers and then went to a restaurant with a nice view on the harbour. When I locked the bike there, I noticed that I had lost the 5mm hex bold that keeps the Rohloff Torque Arm in place. That was the slipping I had noticed: First time when the bolt fell out and the axle twisted until the shifting box hit the chainstay. The second time I felt some slipping was when I was standing on the pedals and the shiftingcable adjuster screw broke :-/. Replacement costs only 6€ but it was Sunday and all shops were closed. Luckily the bike still worked and I decided to ride in a low gear with a high frequency and low power until the DIY store the next day. After a nice diner I went back to the kayaking club again to set up camp, shower and went to bed early after some more chatting with other paddlers. The club is perfectly located for a lot of seakayaking tours on the baltic sea so there were lots of paddlers coming back or preparing for their trips.
    Got up early the next morning, had some biscuits for breakfast, broke camp fast and was on my way before 8. Had located a DIY store 5km away. I was the first to buy something but it didnt make them rich: 78€cents for a bolt, washer and 2 mutters...Got some more food and drinks in the supermarket next door after fixing the bike (took 3 minutes, didnt have to remove the rear wheel) and then I was on my way. The detour added 8km to my route which made it approx. 58km for this day. Crossed the bridge to the island of Rügen and here you really had a taste of the previous architecture of former East-Germany. Also the area was hit hard when the iron curtain fell and the local economy crashed and never recovered. I've seen a lot of sheds and housed that fell apart or shortly before that. The route was quite interesting, very lonely again and the surface changed about every 5km so I was never more than 20min on the same kind of surface. Had coffee and applepie again after 10am. After that I went to the southern shore, but a certain stretch along the shore was very loose sand and I had to push the bike here and there. It was 25C, no wind and the sun was beating down (it was almost noon) so I was sweating like mad. In the next town I ate a tunafish salad and then I set off on the last 15km stretch. This stretch was so good that I rode it again with my wife and kids a few days later. We got to the starting point with the old steamtrain that is still riding there. I arrived around 2pm in the afternoon and I was glad because the saddle on that bike is clearly not suitable for me on long rides, despite the padded shorts I was wearing. It turned out the saddle was too soft, so my bones sunk in all the way and then rested directly on the frame below....
    Unfortunately our apartment location appeared not really suitable for family rides. Too far from the beach, a busy road without bikepath or another route including a small ferry. We did it once (we were actually rowed across....) but the costs would add up over the days. And on the first ride we also almost got stuck with the trailer on a road that ended in a hiking trail with steps etc. On the other side there was a sign "forbidden for bikes"! But only on the other end...
    While on vacation, I already ordered new sunglasses and saddle, also found a great deal on a used set of Tektro brake levers with Jagwire cables and BB7S Road calipers. Everything was here when we arrived yesterday.

Will now catch up on reading what I missed the last weeks. Many postings I see here

mtbr member
    Nice pics Dutchman. Looks like fun.

A good commute today. 60F and clear. No chance of rain today.

Was a bit stiff after spending yesterday climbing some gravel. Up and over Hatcher Pass and back. Just a small snippet, though. Someday I'll just ride the whole thing - an approximately 100 mile loop up the mountain, down the mountain and back around to my house. But that'll be some time coming.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g23169873233

Taking a cue from Dutch, here's the link to a google pics album:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXXSWSpzR25aT4cD6

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Woodway asks for pics of the vacation rides so here is a link to an album:
    Nice pics, Dutchman. Looks like your kids got a taste of all-terrain riding, especially the one in the trailer Did they catch any fish?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    No commute for me today - I was planning to go for a ride but it's just getting too hot and I got moving too late this morning to beat the heat.

I did get a great 16 mile/26K hike in on saturday in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. That's me on the right. Cathedral Rock in the background.

How was your commute today?-cathedral.jpg

Back to riding tomorrow!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Taking a cue from Dutch, here's the link to a google pics album:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXXSWSpzR25aT4cD6
    Beautiful pics blockphi. Looks like a great ride. The Surley looks like the perfect weapon for that kind of riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Great pics all, nice vacation adventures dutchman and impressive pass blockphi! Long hike Woodway, cool rock! Here's my contribution from my ride Sunday from my dooryard. It was a bit too long (42 miles, 25 on dirt road or trail), I was glad to make it home, but the trail on an old RR bed is cool. After that, the first 5 miles uphill on pavement, not so cool, lol! Most of the RR bed trail is in pretty good shape but some parts are more MTB'y than rail-traily. This is Turtlehead Pond and the cliffs of Marshfield Mountain, the rail trail goes right by. Back in the day all these ponds/lakes were full of lumber and the railroad carried it out. Then campers started using the train and there are a bunch of state park campgrounds in Groton state forest to this day. No bikecommute today, dogsitting a 15 1/2 year old Belgian shepherd and her younger sister for a few days, so trying to keep the day short.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-turtlehead.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Looks beautiful mtbx!

Smooth commute this morning. 63F and cloudy. Got passed by a dude on a ebike but otherwise had the roads to myself. Starting to cool down with high in the low 80's today rather than the low 90's. Should be back to normal with highs in the mid to upper 70's starting tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Good commute this AM. Cool and clear at 53F at my house and 57 in town. Yesterday, somehow, I ended up clocking 42.74 miles of commuting. I did add in some miles in the afternoon, but I think my back and forth between offices really put me over the top. Not too shabby for a start to the week.

mtbr member
    Back on the bike today. Hot here, 22C/70F already this morning and 34C/93F on the way home. The worst part is when I get off the bike, that is where I start to really sweat...

Caught up reading here. Quite some going on!
    Woodway did you find a new job already?
    Nice fish catch Blockphi. Do you store it dried, smoked of frozen? And I hope your ribs heal up soon!
    B-rock I have never seen anything like that, luckily you got away unharmed!
    Texan-n-Fla nice to hear from you again! I don't know if you still need a tip concerning drinking on the way home? I usually have a thermal bottle with me that I fill with juice, water and icecubes. That keeps you cool inside for while. A non-thermal bottle would not hold the low temps too long I think..

mtbr member

Today was my first commute after half my handlebars sheared off in my hand last Monday morning. The bike felt good with some cockpit adjustments and upgrades, but the fear that it would explode at any moment lingered. I am happy with some of this fear, as critical failures happen occasionally, and a couple more rides will take the edge off.

I have ridden my mtb a few times since, and the deal with the handlebars on my commuter was only on my mind much on the first mtb ride. I am happy when I am not riding near cars and cliffs.

CB of the East
    ^^WOW, not only should Soma give you new bars but you should sue them for PTSD! Just remember that there are millions of miles ridden with no broken bars. I've gone somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 miles and have never broken or replaced a set of bars for maintenance. Hopefully your anxiety subsides. Although you can't controls some parts of your brain. I'm "not a fan" of needles even though in my mind I know they are fine. My body sometimes disagrees. Good luck.

Good pics and adventures all!

Not much to report here but great summer weather. Oh, EXCEPT, my commute home last Friday was wet wet wet wet wet. I was trying to wait for the storms to pass but they never did. I tried to go out in a lull but a few miles into my ride it was raining at a rate of several inches/hour. Streets were flooded. Other than my stinging eyes it was pretty fun. Summer floodwater is warm.

mtbr member
    hah, thanks bedwards. The sketchiest thing is, I posted about this handlebar failure in another subforum here when it happened, and someone chimed in that same day that the same kind of failure happened to their brother... same bike model, same soma branded handlebar model. But, I guess me plus stranger's brother on the Internet does not make a class action suit.

CB of the East
    Not a class action suit but probably a known design flaw or manufacturing defect. It won't help your psyche but you might get a free handlebar out of the deal. If you would want it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    my commute is a short one... 5 min by car.....15-20 on a bike, was 62 F this morning and in the low 90s on the way home.... my commute is a hilly one though
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I posted about this handlebar failure in another subforum here when it happened, and someone chimed in that same day that the same kind of failure happened to their brother... same bike model, same soma branded handlebar model.
    I would contact Soma and let them know what happened and that you heard of another failure. Soma seems like a reputable manufacturer (I own a Soma frame) and would probably want to know.

Standard commute this morning. 63F and cloudy after the onshore push of marine clouds overnight. Actually a tiny bit of drizzle, not even enough to wet the roads, but still felt good after the heat we have had.

mtbr member
    Craptastic one today. Woke up feeling tired and sore, but the forecast rain wasn't coming down, so eff-it, ride the bike. Weather underground said it was overcast, but not raining in Anchorage and gave like a 20% chance. Get half-way down the stairs and decide to grab my rain jacket, just in case. Good thing I did, too. Get half way to town and the rain starts coming down. Get to town and am glad I grabbed the jacket, but cursing that I didn't just drive as I was just not feeling it at all. No biggie, though. Until about half way to the office I hit a rock while on a corner at a decent speed, not wanting to slow down because - rain. Pffsssss... flat. Fuuuuu. Change the tube out in the rain. Get rolling again and something doesn't feel quite right. Check the wheel in the drop out and it's fine. But the brakes are rubbing really badly. I know the wheel's out of true, but not that bad. Seems the return spring isn't pushing the caliper open to the full extent. Continue on. Bump over a few other rocks. Not enough to flat, but enough to realize I need to pump up even more or else I will be flatting out again soon. Pump it up as much as I can with my frame pump - specs tell me the highest pressure that pump goes is 90psi. Should get mr to the office and back home. All in all, I was about twenty minutes later getting to the office than normal for the summer. The only lingering effects, besides the foul mood? A bit of a puddle in my right shoe that should dry by this afternoon.

At some point I'll wise up and get the fenders I keep saying I need, eh?

mtbr member
    ^^WOW, not only should Soma give you new bars but you should sue them for PTSD!
    Sue them for free SOMA stuff for the rest of your life

Blockphi that sounds rough for you today....ribs are getting better?

Nice and warm here again today. Rode home together with a collegue. He is a bit faster than I am so it was a good training.

mtbr member
    Blockphi that sounds rough for you today....ribs are getting better?
    They had seemed to be, but today I woke up and they seemed worse. Must have slept on them wrong or something. Probably a bit part of the reason I was/am in such a foul mood.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the rain flat blockphi. I mostly ignore 30% and less chance of rain around here, with similar results occasionally.

Today's commute was pretty rad. I am lucky to have shorts weather here. I rode with my new cockpit again, and was mostly not worried about it exploding in my hands.

I love when a bird spooks from a bush I am riding past and flies in front of me at my riding speed for a couple moments.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    60F and a little drizzly here this morning. Other than that, absolutely nothing to report. Maybe I'll get some excitement on the ride home tonight.

mtbr member
    Maybe better to give it some rest blockphi...no use in forcing yourself into something that you dont want to.

Warm and sweaty again today and the end is not in sight...

mtbr member
    Back in the saddle after a week of vacation. I can tell it's been a while. It was tough to be near the Rockies and not be able to ride. Some day...

mtbr member
    Maybe better to give it some rest blockphi...no use in forcing yourself into something that you dont want to.

Warm and sweaty again today and the end is not in sight...
    Amen. Decided to drive today. Will allow me to get out of the office by 2 so I might be able to get a trail ride in tonight. If the ribs cooperate. Heck, even if they don't.

Granted that all depends on the weather. Raining right now. Wet and glacial silt soil = accident waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    After a start that seemed to portent some nastiness on the ride, it ended up being pretty decent.

I was all prepared for a semi-fat Friday as the weather-man said it was going to be clear and dry today. I wasn't really thinking it was going to suddenly clear off, but was hopeful.

However, part of me hoped for rain as well as I ended up making a score at my local outdoor gear consignment shop. Picked up a pair of Surly Rolling Darryl rims (non-holy) for 7 bucks. Yes, that's right. 7 dollars for a pair of fat bike rims. Now, they don't have cut outs, nor are they tubeless ready, but I've been needing to rebuild my fat wheels for a while and, if 65MM is good (the large marge I'm running now), then 82MM is better, right? And I've needed an excuse to learn wheel building. May as well go all in, right?

I also found a brand new set of Planet Bike Hardcore fenders for 25 bucks. I installed them last night and hoped to not have to test them for a while. But, alas. Of course, by this afternoon it will be clear and bright, as things are clearing up already.

So, to the travails. I get the bike all loaded up and head out the door. Just as I get out of my driveway I start hearing massive rubbing. Argh... the rear fender is rubbing the tire. Turn around, back into the garage and readjust the height and tighten down the bolts again.

Head out. No rubbing. Things are good until... hit the first bump in the road and my headlight goes flying off the mount and bounces all over the road. Looking back, I'm happy it did it then and not while the bike was on the front of the bus, but given the just moments prior issue with the fenders I was real close to just turning around and going back to bed.

Got into town and it was raining a bit, but not enough to warrant putting on the rain jacket. Streets were wet with standing water in placed. Fenders worked well and kept me relatively dry. Feet still got a bit wet, but not bad at all.

I also, while I had the bike in the stand last night, addressed the brake issue. For some reason the cable was catching and causing the brake caliper to not return fully. Pro tip - the cheap department store cable sets I get by the cart load for maintaining my kids' bikes? There's a reason why they are cheap. I don't know that I've ever gotten more than six months out of a set of them before they start sticking. But their cheap.

CB of the East
    ^^I almost never replace cables but when I do I always go for highish level Shimano cables. Which is probably why I almost never replace cables.

Good rides this week. Some wet, some hot, some long. I've got to shuttle a car home for the weekend tonight but that's OK because there is an 80% chance of thunderstorms and most of my shoes still have newspapers in them.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    blockphi: After all you have been through, there will surely be good riding karma coming your way soon. I like the high end Jagwire cables. Mainly because they have this cool silver color that looks great on my bike

I actually got to ride in the rain this morning! A light rain for sure, but enough that I put my shoe covers and rain jacket on. I've not ridden in real rain since early June. Will be dry for the ride home.

Have a good weekend all!

mtbr member
    hottest day so far here, 34C on the way home. Nonetheless I made 5km detour just because I wanted to. Drank a lot before I left and took a 500ml bottle with me, that was just enough for the 50minutes that I was on the road. Met my wife and kids along the way and rode home all together. Had an airshow just before home, a helicopter landed on the crossing of our street for a medical emergency.

Blockphi, apparently it can only get better....

I also always take compressionless, continuous housing, mostly from Jagwire. Especially on the kid bikes I always replace the stock ones immediately to prevent constant hassle....

Speaking of kid's bike: My son tested a 24" bike a while ago and it looked good. Yesterday I put a longer stem on his 20" bike and it is starting to look small on him. I already convinced my wife to 1) get a new bike instead of a used one and 2) to invest some more money to increase the riding experience. By now he is seriously riding the bike everyday and really likes it, so he deserves something good.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    OK, I'll start. Happy Monday! Not much to report. The ride in was a nice 60F or so and the ride home is supposed to be hot and humid with temps around 95F and a heat index over 100. Those temps are usually fine on a bike until you stop.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. Woke up to the sound of a downpour and, well, frankly just couldn't bring myself to do it, fenders or not. Odd weather though in that it was mid 50s with rain in the valley and nearly 70 in Anchorage with no rain but super (for mid-town Anchorage) windy.

Hope to be back at it tomorrow.

Ended last week with 165 miles, so not too shabby for the week.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice work blockphi!

I'm working at my place in Central Washington today.While I did not commute to the office, I did get out for a 32 mile gravel/road ride. Got it done early, because it's supposed to climb into the mid-90's today and that's just too toasty for me!

Stay hydrated out there bedwards!

mtbr member
    Nice here in the morning. 30C on the way home.

Blockphi 165m a week is "acceptable" considering you have bruised ribs No seriously I logged ~120km/62m in 4 round trip commutes and 2 family rides over the weekend. Do you do anything else except working and cycling??

expecting the hottest day so far tomorrow, 37C/98F. Will take something to drink on the way home, take the shortest way, ride slowly and go into the cool basement directly when I come home. Really wonder how those people further south survive.

CB of the East
    Wow, 90s in both northern corners of the US and Germany. I forget who our resident Vegas commuter is but the temps must really be getting up there down there.

I just heard this news. Rain at 120F. That is like water coming from the water heater. Any hotter and it would be scalding. https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-hott...record-1057622

mtbr member
    Bedwards I have noticed more often already that we often have similar weather. I am no "climatologist" so I can not really explain.

I am not sure but it could be eugene with the jeep in vegas?

Moderator Moderator
    No bikecommute for me yesterday, I was not too sad since it hit 94F, not my cup of tea. I did do a nice ride Sunday, tried a rail trail in the woods, it was a great pick because it was almost all shady. 30 miles round trip from Danville VT to St Johnsbury, nearly all downhill on the way out and uphill (but not steep) on the way back.

Next weekend we are riding the Point to Point ride, which is a fundraiser for the VT Foodbank. If you have a couple dollars to help the hungry, here is our team donation page https://give.thepointtopoint.org/team/173898 My name on there is Barb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-railtrail.jpg  

CB of the East
    No bikecommute for me yesterday, I was not too sad since it hit 94F, not my cup of tea. I did do a nice ride Sunday, tried a rail trail in the woods, it was a great pick because it was almost all shady. 30 miles round trip from Danville VT to St Johnsbury, nearly all downhill on the way out and uphill (but not steep) on the way back.

Next weekend we are riding the Point to Point ride, which is a fundraiser for the VT Foodbank. If you have a couple dollars to help the hungry, here is our team donation page https://give.thepointtopoint.org/team/173898 My name on there is Barb
    You got it girl. I gave $19.87, a bicycle themed donation. That was the year I bought the bike that got me into cycling. My only question is where is Veemomt?

Commutes have been good. The heat was waning by the time I road home and it was pretty present.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Thanks bedwards! Veemont is where we put all the hungry people. I don't know where they send the people who can't type.

mtbr member
    Surprisingly good first part of the commute today given that A: coffee didn't brew as it was supposed to and B: rear tire was flat when I went out to the garage - I think it's probably that the last patch I put on wasn't 100% as it wasn't completely flat, but maybe about 15psi after sitting since Friday. Swapped out quickly and just made the bus.

Last night I got home and decided to go for a ride as I was feeling particularly crap after finding out that after eight years of adjunct teaching at the local university that I would not be teaching this fall - unless something comes up. I know adjuncts work semester to semester, but it did feel a bit of a kick in the shins that no one thought to tell me before I asked. Anyway, started out as a trail ride, but I was so gun shy with that it was just no fun. The wet root - slick. The glacial till? Grease on top of slick. So, rather than ride trail and hate every moment, I ended up doing some road exploring - a nice mix of gravel and pavement. Got rained on. Saw some sandhill cranes, including a hatchling that was just learning how to fly.

Hoping the rain holds off until I get to the client's office. Looks like it might.

mtbr member
    Real 35C here but made it home. One more day of this and then temps are going to drop. Maybe some rain and thunderstorms tomorrow already, we'll see.

Good Luck on your charity ride mtbx. Pic looks good!

Moderator Moderator
    Cool crane sightings blockphi! Not so cool to hear about your teaching position, hope something comes up. Thanks dutchman for the well wishes on the Foodbank ride. Special weather statement this morning for patchy dense fog, which I noticed as soon as I got up. Not sure about riding today, usually I don't on trailride nights, but there is a 50/50 chance that could get rained out. I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can get out early enough to do both if the group ride is on.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Good luck on the ride MTBX!

Had to look up Sandhill Cranes. Wikipedia says they are in this area, but I cannot ever recall seeing one.

I worked remote yesterday but still got out for a ride. Was descending a long hill at >25MPH when a hornet flew into my jersey. BAM - he stung me in the chest as soon as he hit. I had one hand hanging onto the bars and the other one groping around trying to figure out where he was and smash him. BAM, BAM, he stung me twice more, the last one on my side down by my waist. At that point I lifted out the elastic bottom of the jersey and out he flew. That first sting still hurts today.

This mornings ride was boring in comparison. 65F. Supposed to be in the low 90s for the ride home.

mtbr member
    A decent ride this morning. The clouds have almost all burned away and the skies are blue for the first time in days. Can't wait until the afternoon ride. Should be a good one.

I'm hoping to pick up some teaching at the valley branch of the university if I can. I find the teaching is a good respite from the day to day Project Management grind.

CB of the East
    That sucks woodway. I still remember when that happened to me on a motorcycle and that was over 30 years ago.

Yesterday I checked the radar before I left and it looked like I was 90% likely to ride into a strong thunder storm. I took the route that seemed like it might go around it and it worked! I didn't see a drop of rain for 80% of my ride but I could see lots of lightening strikes not far away. I got within a few miles of my house and it looked like the skies had opened up a few minutes ago but with the exception of some big puddles on the road it was dry.

It looks like today's summer afternoon storms are going to hold off until after I get home.

mtbr member
    A fairly good one this AM. Was generally dry at least, but in the mid 50s with high humidity made it both feel cooler and much stickier than it should. Decided at the last moment to actual come to work today. Was seriously thinking about just staying home in bed today. Not feeling 100%, but decided I had a few things I absolutely had to get done today. Argh. So, to brighten the day, I decided that mid-Fat Friday would be done on Thursday this week. Saddled up the KramPugs and headed out. Definitely worth it. A bit slower, but more relaxed, as well.

mtbr member
    Whoa Woodway is it getting better now?

Bedwards that sounds like you were very lucky with avoiding the storm. Havent looked much at your storm dodging map that you posted, but will definitely do so now.

Hot commutes the last 2 days. Yesterday evening some thunderstorms passed through and now we are back to normal for the time of year: partly cloudy, moderate winds from the SW and max temps around 22C.

Working from home today but commuted my youngest son to Kindergarten. After a try out last night, he rode the 16" bike for the first time today instead of the 12". And instantly he rides more stable, much more in a straight line and faster too.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    A good commute home last evening. Took off a bit early from work and rode a quick five then headed to Town Square park to watch the homeless, the druggies, and the tourists all mingle - good times. The plan was to then hit some single track on the way home once back in the valley. Alas, best laid plans. Started down pouring as I got to the entrance to the trails. Kinda out of the blue. So I just rode a bit of gravel back out and then took the normal route back home. Get home, rinse the bike and... the skies clear and it's beautiful and perfect again.

This morning it was downright chilly for some reason. 50F, so not bad, but just felt cold all morning. Decided to ride the KramPugs again today. Have the ability today to take a bit of time between the bus stop and the office and the office and the client, so why not, right? This morning I got a wild hair to check out some of the murals in the alleyways of downtown. I've noticed glimpses of them from the bus window each morning, so I started to check them out today. Most of them are quite bad up close, but I did find one that interested me given that my friends over at (Shameless plug here The Sprocket Podcast like to joke that I ride bike with a bear on my back.

How was your commute today?-bearbike-2.jpg

Saw this friendly guy on the meanders downtown as well.
    How was your commute today?-bear-bike-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    No storms yesterday. Lovely temperatures in the mid 50s on the way to work in the morning. No one on the trail to speak of. Just a few rabbits and the sunrise. It was a nice 90 minutes.

Going home, trail crowded with running teams and at one hill a gaggle of runners just standing in the trail. I called out and they moved to the right side for me, and as I started up the hill I saw, at the top, another biker coming down. Rather than yielding me the right of way he just kept coming down the hill. I, perhaps stupidly, took the only line available to me, a part of the track along my left about a foot wide, separated from the trail by a rut no sane person would go near, and managed to hold the line all the way up the hill. Phew. That was the only real adventure.

Perhaps I should have just pulled off the trail and glared at the downhill rider; that would have been safer. Next time, I'll probably do that. I was just so irritated... What do you guys think? I'm normally pretty good about trail etiquette. I slow down when I'm passing people on the trail. I wait for them to notice me instead of just blowing by bikers. I don't pass on blind corners. Etc. Every once in a while there is a moment like this, though...

Can't we all just ride?
    ^Personally, I think the downhill rider should yielded.^ I probably "over-yield" but it's not in my nature to put someone at risk or leave them in a position where they lose momentum and can't finish a climb. When I'm being passed on a climb I'll usually try to pull over where I can get restarted without walking up the entire pitch or take an alternate line to allow others to pass. I do think it's incumbent on faster riders to look ahead and plan their passing where it makes things the least difficult for everyone though. On downhill sections, if I'm being passed I'll try to find someplace safe to allow others by. If there's no place for them to pass, I guess they descend at my pace.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, downhill rider should yield on a 2 way trail. Sometimes it is a judgement call if the trail seems wide enough to pass. But I'm with Forster and tend to be nice on the trail. Then again, I generally avoid all trails where I am likely to see other people. I'm really not big on crowded trails.

My commute was pretty good. My legs were tired from doing 54 miles yesterday which was my longest ride of the year. Two years ago I was doing a century/weekend and now I just did my first half in the middle of August. I've been working more for speed and less for distance this year which is why my legs are tired. I was pushing it to the limit without a lot of luck to get a few KOMs yesterday.

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this AM. Dry anyway. Though it doesn't look like it'll be dry the rest of the week at all. Weather forecast calls for rain through Wednesday at least. Though it is weather underground's forecast, so I'll not put too much faith in it.

Nothing much at all to report. Pretty lame weekend. Rode 25 miles on Saturday, mostly in a 2.5K loop at a really slow pace as I swept the course for five different 5K races. Got to the point where I decided to fingle-speed it (=fake single speed - took me a long time to come up with that one!) Set it at 32X24 and rode that for 9.5 of the 10 laps I did. Not a hard gearing at all, but the course was set on a cross country ski course, not the rolling golf-course courses that are favored by XC in the lower 48, so three significant inclines to deal with each lap. Good times. Though my knee wasn't happy about it afterwards.

Yesterday I sat around and did nothing. Wanted to get a 50 miler in early as the weather report was for dry conditions in the AM with increasing rain and wind throughout the afternoon. Instead woke up to a downpour and heavy winds. By the mid-afternoon, it was sunny, but still heavy winds so any motivation I had to get on the bike was gone. Coupled with a sore knee and it was the perfect recipe for sitting on my behind all day.

mtbr member
    "fingle-speed" like that one Bedwards! I knew only SingleSpeed and DingleSpeed so far. I tried that once too last year by riding the Rohloff in the 10th gear, I was thinking of losing that heavy and expensive beast but after a few rides I decided that gears aren't that bad at all although it is as good as flat here - but quite windy at times where gears good to have.

The thunderstorm last Thursday night was more severe than I thought. Rode for the first time today and it appeared that several trees went down, but all roads/bikepaths were cleared by now. Still a lot of debris lying around with the risk of getting something in the spokes and going otb. Kicked the worst aside on both ways and will probably have to be careful the rest of the week.

Moderator Moderator
    Nothing exciting yesterday, but I did miss all the scattered thunderstorms that were forecast, so that was a plus. Here's a few pix from the ride for the foodbank Saturday, it was fun to do it with a team, and the LBS generously gave us the nifty jerseys. I raised $555. I'm not in any of the photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p2p0.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p2p1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p2p2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p2p3.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ nice job mtbx!

blockphi, sometimes you just need some time off the bike to get your motivation back. You realize how much you miss it...

My company moved to a new office over the weekend. Only a few blocks from the old one. This office also has a locked bike room (hanging bike racks this time) and even better - a locker room with showers AND they provide tools. Whoop, whoop.

Ride was great this morning as has been the general case for the last couple of months. We are well into the "best weather in the US" season, and except for a couple of hot spells, I've been enjoying nice dry 60F rides in the morning and nice dry 80F rides in the afternoon.

CB of the East
    "fingle-speed" like that one Bedwards!
    Thanks but you mean blockphi.

Looks like a fun ride mtbx. $555! Our food pantry claims they can get 4 meals/$ so that's over 2000 meals!

Wet! My commute was wet! I don't think I could have planned it to be any wetter with the weather I had to work with.

mtbr member
    Argh! *blush* yes I meant blockphi and still like finglespeed

Mtbx good job on the fund raising. Was that only you, your team or all riders together?

Weather is back to normal here. Still some twig kicking this morning, everything ok now. Quite windy on the way home but it was a tailwind so that was nice.

mtbr member
    Bedwards did you ride the fatbike for floatation in the rain?

CB of the East
    ^^No, It is too hard to show up at work as a mud ball. I'd like to do some mountain bike commutes soon to do some shroom hunting but it has been too wet.

Moderator Moderator
    Dutchman, the $555 was my own fundraising, the Team ended up somewhere over $2200. I got a little competition going at work, some people want to be #1 at whatever they do, so I took advantage of that. One coworker added another $20 to his pledge to not only knock someone out of the #1 spot, but also to knock another coworker totally off the podium by adding to 2 others’ donations.

Had a non-driver in the roundabout today, which created an unusual bicyclist- auto driver bonding moment. A car entered the rotary but them was paralyzed at every entrance, the driver thinking they had to yield to the line of rush hour cars even though they have the right of way. Of course this created more of a backup, and as I waited to exit stuck behind this pariah, and another car waited to enter, we exchanged WTF type hand gestures and head shakes about the non-driver holding everyone up and creating a dangerous situation. That part made me smile.

So muggy you could cut it with a knife, ugh!

mtbr member
    Dutchman, the $555 was my own fundraising, the Team ended up somewhere over $2200. I got a little competition going at work, some people want to be #1 at whatever they do, so I took advantage of that. One coworker added another $20 to his pledge to not only knock someone out of the #1 spot, but also to knock another coworker totally off the podium by adding to 2 others’ donations.
    *dontknowwhattosay*
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Day Ago at 11:07 AM.

CB of the East
    Some people are just Dicks

Last night I'm in the bike lane doing about 20MPH and some guy in a 1 ton truck passes me and then immediately (not more than 1/2 second later) pulls into my lane to avoid a left turning car causing me to make an emergency stop or get squished. He realizes he made a bad choice and stops too. We both get going again and he is giving me the stink eye like this is my fault and then floors it only to have to stop 1000 feet down the road.

Thanks for listening.

This morning's commute was uneventful. No a-holes and no drenching rain.

Can't we all just ride?
    ^I've been there but lately it seems like truck drivers are going out of their way to be considerate. Twice in the last month I've had trucks back out of the intersection when I approached. Neither case was due to the driver doing a rolling stop either. I'd say I've been getting one really considerate driver per ******** lately.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Hey Foster, I know, I know. I refrained from saying that drivers are dicks because a lot of them are actually considerate. But there are that 5% that drive offensively like their superiority over others on the road will win them a prize. Then there are the 0.01% that you would love to see hit an oak tree at 80MPH only to feel bad for the tree. This guy fell into the 5% category. I don't wish him dead. He was mostly oblivious to the fact that he could have killed me and seemed to think that I should yield.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    While there are a few drivers who go out of their way to torment cyclists, I think that the majority of the 5% are just oblivious to anything/one but themselves. "Oh, I'm blocking the bike lane? Well too bad, I needed a place to stop and respond to an Instagram post".

Good ride this morning except for the smoke. Wind pattern has brought major wildfire smoke down from Canada. Almost looks foggy out.

mtbr member
    Looks like it will be a light riding week for me this week. Yesterday I had to drive as I had meeting/lunch meeting/meeting back to back to back at three different locations. Good times. It was raining to beat the devil most of the day as well, so I'm not too sad about that.

Today I am off the bike as I have to meet my daughter this afternoon and take her to an appointment while my wife take my son back out to the valley for practice. It was raining in the valley and has been raining off and on here in town, so, again, not too perturbed. And... my knee is still acting up. Weather related? Don't know. Getting old? Indeed I am.

Hopefully back on the bike tomorrow. Friday's forecast looks good. So there's that.

mtbr member
    "Oh, I'm blocking the bike lane? Well too bad, I needed a place to stop and respond to an Instagram post".
    Those are the considerate ones. The oblivious ones repond to an instagram post while driving and swerving along the road and bikelanes

Wind pattern has brought major wildfire smoke down from Canada. Almost looks foggy out.
    Sounds scary..

Bedwards, with "shroom" you mean mushrooms? I remember you found a really big one last year right?

Nice rides today. 24C but overcast on the way home, strange combination that we seldomly have. Normally with those temps it is quite sunny. Made a scenic detour on the way home and rode 20m instead of the usual 14 in total.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Love those scenic detours Dutchman!

Smokey ride this morning. Given the weather patterns they are saying we will be living with this smoke for a while longer. Sigh.

mtbr member
    Back at it this AM. Wet in the valley and cool - 51F. Damp in town and cool - 53F. Breezy, too. Felt good to be back on the bike. That is all.

I remember the Kenai fires a couple years back and how bad the smoke in Anchorage was at that time. Made for some really bad riding to the point that the local health department encouraged people to not be exercising outside because of the smoke. Hope it doesn't get that bad for you Wood.

CB of the East
    Yes Shrooms = mushrooms. I did get out for a mountain bike commute and found a few edible varieties. That included some dinner plate sized oyster mushrooms that I'm 99% sure of but am still consulting on.

Other than mushrooms I found that riding a tubeless mountain bike with year old sealant doesn't work. I got a sidewall leak near the end of the ride that never sealed. I was "too close" to bother putting a tube in yet still pretty far, LOL.

mtbr member
    ^^ Love those scenic detours Dutchman!

Smokey ride this morning. Given the weather patterns they are saying we will be living with this smoke for a while longer. Sigh.
    You mean like "pics or it didnt happen" ? Sorry no pics but the pics would probably be pretty boring anyway. No nice mountains, lakes or woods here...
    I hope that the smoke wont bother you too much.

Yes Shrooms = mushrooms. I did get out for a mountain bike commute and found a few edible varieties. That included some dinner plate sized oyster mushrooms that I'm 99% sure of but am still consulting on.
    Better be sure before you eat them

Saw 3 roe deers this morning and realized it's been a long time since I've seen any of them. Hot on the ride home, took the shortest way today. Maybe tomorrow another detour..

mtbr member
    Okay... to add on to my earlier post....

Took off from the home office to head over to the client and about half way there I get a slow leak. No biggie - seemed that the patch on the tube gave up the ghost. pump the tube a bit to check and yes, the patch is leaking. Change it and get another 1/2 mile down the road and... another slow leak.

End up walking back about two miles to the nearest WalMart and buy some more tubes, cuz I only had one on me today. Pull the tube out and check the tire and the tube and there are four or five holes in the tire itself - small holes. One with glass still in it. Damn it. Pull the glass out and get everything pumped up and ride back to my home office. I've canceled all of my meetings today and think I'll be just going home and crawling back into bed.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Made for some really bad riding to the point that the local health department encouraged people to not be exercising outside because of the smoke. Hope it doesn't get that bad for you Wood.
    It's too that point, unfortunately. They are encouraging people to stay inside. Somehow I am not listening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Had my first Ahole driver incident. Saab passed so close that I could have reached out and opened his passenger door. There was no oncoming traffic. And his pass was done at the worst time as there was a large box truck unloading to the right of me. And his pass was useless as he stopped at the following intersection to turn left and I caught right up to him. Sigh. Otherwise my commutes the past few weeks have actually been pretty pleasant.

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-extratuffbear1.jpg

How was your commute today?-extratuffbear2.jpg
    So I did take off a bit early yesterday, but still had some time to do some bear hunting before heading to the bus. There are a few more around town I need to get some snaps of. Well, more than a couple. There are fourteen total. Gotta catch em all! Wait, that's pokemon. Oh well, it works.

How was your commute today?-semifatfridayam.jpg
    Semi-fatting it today. I am hopeful I'll be able and ready to get out on some single track this weekend. My ribs still hurt, but if I don't get back out there, I might never get back out there. And I want to get back out there.

Not too bad of a commute this AM. A bit breezy, humid, and cool, but generally dry - so that's good.

Members who have read this thread: 171