Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236
Results 23,501 to 23,599 of 23599
    z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Managed to get the Macho Man all put together over the weekend. Rode it in this morning and it was surprisingly fast.

How was your commute today?-xexdffah.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Managed to get the Macho Man all put together over the weekend. Rode it in this morning and it was surprisingly fast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xexdFFAh.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	1205074
    Nice looking bike there. Well done.

Good ride in for me this AM. A bit chilly feeling at 53F with high humidity and overcast.

Been riding the new Pugs over the weekend and am getting more comfortable on it. I'm quite excited for the new wheels. I'm already planning first rides on them and I'm strongly thinking a couple of gravel routes I've wanted to do for some time - both with high mountain passes and chunky gravel - I have a feeling that there may be a set of mountain drops in my future - A poor-man's Fargo? Maybe. Maybe.

I got a bit crafty over the weekend with the road bike. I've been really unhappy with my rack and how I have to mount it. The bike is clearly not designed to use a rack, so I'm using the fender mounts and then zip-tying the rack to the seat stays at the top. Ugly and reduces the efficacy of the rear brake as the cable gets kinked.

So... and I have to get pictures of this... I took the old brake calipers from the bike, took them apart and used the shorter one to attach to the fender eyelet and then mount the rack to those, which pushes it back and down a bit. Then using some pipe hangers I mounted the rack braces to the seat stays, as they should be. It probably looks a bit ghetto, but:
    A) I'm able to use my normal rack which is beefier than what I was using
    B) the rack is closer to the tire, so better balance
    C) the rack doesn't move as much as it did with zip ties
    D) no worry of heel strike now.

mtbr member
    Nice bike Z1R!

Blockphi, isnt that Pug getting too long when you put a dropbar on it? And for your roadbike, I know that there are racks that you can attach on the rear wheel skewer. Maybe that would even be possible with your current rack? But good that you got it working now!

Woodway, good to hear that you healed up. No need anymore to hold yourself back on the bike?

Nice rides today, nothing special. Expecting another warm, dry and sunny period starting tomorrow Time to get out shorts and sandals again!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice looking bike z1r. I especially LOVE the bar tape you used. Unusual but appropriate. Well done.

Pics, blockphi, pics.

No holding back Dutchman!

53F and rain this morning. Uggh, it was not supposed to rain and it was dry at home when I left but started to rain hard about halfway in to the office and I had no rain gear. What can you do but suck it up and get wet. I'm not made of sugar after all...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Blockphi, isnt that Pug getting too long when you put a dropbar on it? And for your roadbike, I know that there are racks that you can attach on the rear wheel skewer. Maybe that would even be possible with your current rack? But good that you got it working now!

I think with the stubby stem and the fact that is it a bit small of a frame for me that the drops would work pretty well, but I won't know for sure until I try.

As for the rack... yeah. I know there are options out there. I'm just a cheap fool who is a bit too wedded to repurposing and reusing what I have whenever I can. That, and I'm going to have to buy a new rack for the Pugs for this winter and trying to sell the wife on two new racks in a year? Not likely. She doesn't understand how I can spend hundreds of dollars a year on maintenance items as it is. Chain? Didn't you just buy a new chain? Yeah, but that was 1700 miles ago....

Besides, how could I do this with a new rack?

How was your commute today?-bracket.jpg

How was your commute today?-stay-supports.jpg

A good ride this AM. A bit chilly and damp again, but sunny in town, so I'm not complaining.

mtbr member
    My co-worker knocked over my bike yesterday and snapped my derailleur hanger. Luckily, my main commuter is a singlespeed, and I could make it home without the tensioner being attached, although the chain was kind of saggy. No biggie. Riding in on the geared bike this morning was interesting. I should mix it up more often, as each bike offers a different exercise experience.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks all. Yeah, the bar tape, well, it was on sale! And, I kinda like it. Rode it in again today and it is nice and cool this morning in the 60's but tonight it is projected to be in the high 90's. We're supposed to hit 100 on Thursday.

Tomorrow is bike to work day. Gonna have my 13 year old ride in with me. He likes to sample the free food the sponsors give out along the way. Mom will pick him up after he has his cappuccino with me.

Three years ago, June 24, 2015, we rode to work together and it was great. How was your commute today?-mvzm5fmh.jpg

Luckily I had his mom pick him up instead of letting him stay with me for the day and riding home together. This was my ride home, all you could see of my bike at one point was the seat and handle bars!

How was your commute today?-asexaj6h.jpg
    How was your commute today?-1hnza8zh.jpg

We got lots of rain that year, unlike this year. So much so that even the Turtles were crawling up out of the river onto the path to sun themselves.
    How was your commute today?-izk7a3ph.jpg

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    My co-worker knocked over my bike yesterday and snapped my derailleur hanger. Luckily, my main commuter is a singlespeed, and I could make it home without the tensioner being attached, although the chain was kind of saggy. No biggie. Riding in on the geared bike this morning was interesting. I should mix it up more often, as each bike offers a different exercise experience.
    That's a bummer. Is the hanger replaceable?

mtbr member
    That's a bummer. Is the hanger replaceable?
    Yeah, fortunately. I wasn't sure at first because the bike a '92 Cannondale. I was even able to find a "like new" hanger on Amazon, which was actually pretty cheap. My co-worker insisted on paying for it, so the least I could do is get the least expensive one possible.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That's cool. Glad to hear you'll be up and running soon.

I rarely ride my single speed to work any more. Geared too tall to climb the hill to my house but still too low to ride to work without a ridiculously high cadence. that bike in the pics I just posted was a single speed. Cheap but I really miss it.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks all. Yeah, the bar tape, well, it was on sale! And, I kinda like it. Rode it in again today and it is nice and cool this morning in the 60's but tonight it is projected to be in the high 90's. We're supposed to hit 100 on Thursday.

Tomorrow is bike to work day. Gonna have my 13 year old ride in with me. He likes to sample the free food the sponsors give out along the way. Mom will pick him up after he has his cappuccino with me.

Three years ago, June 24, 2015, we rode to work together and it was great. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVZM5fmh.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1205251

Luckily I had his mom pick him up instead of letting him stay with me for the day and riding home together. This was my ride home, all you could see of my bike at one point was the seat and handle bars!

Name:	aSeXaJ6h.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1205250

Name:	1HnZA8Zh.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	1205252

We got lots of rain that year, unlike this year. So much so that even the Turtles were crawling up out of the river onto the path to sun themselves.

Name:	iZk7A3Ph.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	1205253
    Safe travels tomorrow with your son!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Bike to work day! My youngest rode in with me again. He stopped at every breakfast station and sampled the goods. Breakfast burritos, bacon, watermelon, and pastries. We finished it off with Cappuccinos. Third year in a row. He wants mom to ride in with us next year!!!! Yay!

How was your commute today?-gebilnwh.jpg

mtbr member
    Just barely beat the rain this morning. It's been rainy off and on all week, but somehow I've avoided everything but some spitting rain. Yesterday, we had severe storms that may have stirred up tornadoes in the area, but the rain stopped minutes before I was set to head out the door. Hopefully my streak continues.

mtbr member
    I'm kicking myself as I was going to ride in, then remembered that I'd have to pick up my daughter after work. Got dressed and went to let her know I'd pick her up and was informed my wife would pick her up... so, what to do? I could have gotten redressed and biked, but... something from my lazy side spoke up and I ended up driving. Which stinks as the weather is supposed to turn to crap for the next four days. Moreover, right now it is 60F and beautiful out. Sunny, light breeze. Perfect Alaska morning.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    blockphi, the powers to be determined you needed a rest day. Don't fight it!

It was in the upper 60's this morning but by 8 when the wife picked my son up, it was starting to get hot! Supposed to hit 97 today, and 100 tomorrow!!! I moved to Colorado to avoid the heat I grew up with in Texas. The sun is so much more intense here that temps in the 90's become brutal!

s0ckeyeus, that was last week here. Dodged the rain all week. this week, I'm thinking some rain would be nice! Better start looking for fenders for the new commuter!

mtbr member
    for you z1r! I hope my sons still ride with me when they get into that age.

No rides for me today. Had some appointments and did some homeoffice in between....

mtbr member
    A good ride this AM. Was looking like it was going to be a crap day, but it's now nice and sunny here at my office. Getting ready to hop on the bike again and head over to the client site, so looking forward to the sun on my shoulders as I do that.

Got a nice surprise yesterday afternoon: My new wheel build was completed. So, got the wheels and got them set up in time for last night's SprocKidz session.

Talk about fun! I have a bit of adjusting to do to get used to the even bigger circumfrence and there are a couple of the old trails in the network that were built with super tight switchbacks that were barely navigable back when 26ers were the thing that should be interesting, but the bike definitely is even more of a blast to ride. Of course, not quite as much pneumatic suspension as with full fat - my back is feeling that this morning. Need to work on keeping my arms and legs even more loose than before.

Good times.

How was your commute today?-krampug-1.jpg

How was your commute today?-krampug-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Blockphi, that bike looks really good! Still a lot of adjustments to make or is it already dialed in?

Noticed my rear rack had a loose strut yesterday. Turns out all 4 rack bolts, both fender mount bolts and 2 of 4 dropout bolts were loose! Checked all other bolts as well and everything is tightened again now.

Summer here again..today is 27C and it is expected to.stay like that for at least a week. Made a detour on the way home which made for a 31km/22m day.

mtbr member
    Blockphi, that bike looks really good! Still a lot of adjustments to make or is it already dialed in?
    About 96% dialed. I want to play with stem/handlebar height for a bit yet so I can call it good and cut the tube down a bit. I think the saddle position is about right...when the seatpost stays where I put it. I may need to get a bit beefier collar to support my fat behind as it keeps sliding down just a bit. The rest is just little maintenance things - brake pads, switching over to tubeless, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Good; better than yesterday, as I forced myself to get a little more rest last night.

I appreciate how riding every day keeps me honest about how much sleep and how much beer I am drinking. Yesterday was kind of rough at first, since I hadn't been sleeping enough, and had one too many beers the night before. I found the energy for an after work mtb ride yesterday after commuting, but I was headed towards burning the candle at both ends.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Noticed my rear rack had a loose strut yesterday. Turns out all 4 rack bolts, both fender mount bolts and 2 of 4 dropout bolts were loose! Checked all other bolts as well and everything is tightened again now.
    Good thing it didn't come off.

Summer here again..today is 27C and it is expected to.stay like that for at least a week. Made a detour on the way home which made for a 31km/22m day.
    Lucky you, it was 38C here yesterday it is supposed to hit 39C today. No long rides home for me today! Es ist viel zu heiß!

mtbr member
    I once regreased my.seatpost and tightened it with exactly the same force as before. When I sat on it, it suddenly slit down all the way into the seattube. Quite a surprise there. Only thing that helped was cleaning it off again...at 6am.

I am not sure if I would ride at all z1r. Those temps are so seldom here that we are not used to those temps at all.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Skeggs1993 - keep at it, will get easier!

blockphi - good, classic looking Surly. Well done.

Cloudy but dry here. 53F headed into the office, 68F headed home.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, getting enough rest is important. I really feel it during the Summer when I don't have to drive the kids to school. So, I can ride to work 5 days a week. But by Saturday, I'm feeling kinda wiped out, more so if I miss some sleep during the week.

Today's ride home was FUN, the temp hit 105F today, 40.5C. Hope it cools off by the weekend as my oldest boy said he wanted to ride with me. If it's anywhere near as hot as it was today, no way is gonna want to ride.

Yeah, Blockphi's bike is good looking, the color sorta reminds me of my MMD.

Moderator Moderator
    Poured on the way in yesterday, but a good ride anyhow. One puddle sent water over the tops of my hitops, despite the full fenders. With the exception of socks and gloves, I got everything dried out for the ride home, with the help of a mini fan in my cubbie where I can hang a few things. For the shoes I used newspaper and then a small set of electric shoe dryers - a nice luxury that was only about $10 at SIerra Trading Post.

Wednesday night I rode sweep on our weekly no drop group rides. Boy there were a lot of mechanicals. One guy's chain was overshooting the large cog, one woman's headset had loosened up (she thought the noise was the fork falling apart), and one guy's quick release came loose and he was trying to just close the lever without snugging up the other side, and someone had a bent rotor. Not that everything was fixed trailside, but hopefully they learned a little more about their bikes and the value of bike maintenance.

CB of the East
    ^^ Yeah, it rained several inches here yesterday mostly in just a few hours. I actually decided to drive the truck. And WOW mechanical on that group ride. It is always surprising how little people know about their bikes. They are generally pretty simple machines. But I have to remember how much time I have spent tinkering on them.
    Bike to work day! My youngest rode in with me again. He stopped at every breakfast station and sampled the goods. Breakfast burritos, bacon, watermelon, and pastries. We finished it off with Cappuccinos. Third year in a row. He wants mom to ride in with us next year!!!! Yay!

Name:	GEbilNwh.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1205439
    Wow food! Good pic of you 2. It looks like you've got about 22 Watts of wind resistance growing on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    About 96% dialed. I want to play with stem/handlebar height for a bit yet so I can call it good and cut the tube down a bit. I think the saddle position is about right...when the seatpost stays where I put it. I may need to get a bit beefier collar to support my fat behind as it keeps sliding down just a bit. The rest is just little maintenance things - brake pads, switching over to tubeless, etc.
    Some carbon paste should do the trick.

Wednesday I turned in my fastest average speed to work ever. 25MPH for 12 miles. A few years ago I would have told you that was impossible. Riding the TT bike helped . Today was crazy foggy to start. The early morning sun hit all that water from yesterday's rain and boom. A mile down the road away from the lake it was bright and sunny. This was just before it cleared.

How was your commute today?-kllwh2bn3q-xtmk-_qc1hwwl2t2afd2hzhahtcqtrvs-1536x2048.jpg

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    60F and cloudy this morning. Dry, easy ride.

25MPH for 12 miles is impressive bedwards. Very impressive. I like the 3 feet sign. Wish there were some of those around here.

z1r - 105? Holy smokes. It reminds me of when I was in college in Arizona (Arizona State in Tempe). I lived off-campus and did not own a car. Rode my bike everywhere in all temperatures. Never through twice about it. What was I thinking?

mtbx - I know the soaking feeling. I hand my clothes in our server room. The airconditioning in there dries things out nicely.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    25MPH for 12 miles is impressive bedwards. Very impressive. I like the 3 feet sign. Wish there were some of those around here.
    I've been working on my power to weight ratio from both directions. I do miss the cookies and donuts with coffee but I haven't touched them for a month. But DAMN the weight comes off slow. It bounces a lot but I'm probably only down 3lbs. It it's not on Strava it didn't happen. https://www.strava.com/activities/1665324309

mtbr member
    Good thing that at least you know something about bikes MTBX! Those people otherwise all would have been lost in the woods ;o))

indeed very impressive speed bedwards. Time for me to buy a TT bike I guess...

And nice that you guys all have space for wet clothing...I only have my own cupboard of which I leave a door open if necessary. If the clothes are really soaked, it is usually not completely dry when I leave :-/ But at least it has warmed up by the time I go outside.

But wet clothes are not an issue at the moment. Rode in sandals, shorts and shortsleeves today. 15C this morning, 28 on the way home. Rode 4 of 5 working days, but all in all the total distance of 4,5 commutes.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

I'm #87!
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've been working on my power to weight ratio from both directions. I do miss the cookies and donuts with coffee but I haven't touched them for a month. But DAMN the weight comes off slow. It bounces a lot but I'm probably only down 3lbs. It it's not on Strava it didn't happen. https://www.strava.com/activities/1665324309
    I'm stuck on a weight at the moment too. I think my biggest current issue is the replacement of my beer intake with tequila and scotch. If I could cut out the alcohol I'd probably move forward.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the moral support

I know today is a good one because I got to wear shorts on my commute.

I stopped myself from going on an after work mtb ride last night because my knees didn't seem quite ready for 5 days commuting + 4 days mtb in the same week yet, at least not with 2 back 2 back commute+mtb days (even after I spent some time with the foam roller). Maybe tonight!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Weight! Yeah, I'm down to 205 but it comes off slowly. I'm kinda stuck at that weight. Commuting five days a week has helped but I can't seem to get past it. Eating less only makes me feel out of energy. My power to weight ratio can't be good. I'm not really fat but sure as heck ain't lean either.

Average today was 18.9 mph. I finally dropped the guy who was drafting off me. On a couple of my longer segments the average was close to 22 mph. But 25?? Dang bedwards, that's impressive. I may have to shave!!!

Yeah, 105 was an all time high for the area. Growing up in Texas I'd run 4 to 5 miles at lunch when the temps were north of 100 without a second thought. But you get used to the cooler temps here and getting old doesn't help!

Moderator Moderator
    Wow Bedwards, 25 mph, congrats! I love to know you could ride to my work and back in the same time it takes me to get there. I am steady but not speedy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yesterday I met up with my wife, by surprise pushing the kids up our hill in the double stroller, and rode my bike as slowly as possible to stay with them. It was almost like a track stand, and was pretty fun.

I've been shooting for an "active rest" pace yesterday and today during my commute, so that I have a chance to recover after 3 straight days of mountain biking. I read in a training thread that some people have had luck with a schedule where they don't bike more than 3 days in a row, but I am going to interpret that as not biking hard more than 3 days in a row, since I do fine with biking a bit everyday, and just want to add more mountain biking days on top of that.

mtbr member
    Hey Skeggs that sounds nice. How old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 3 and both riding a bike already, although #2 still likes the strider bike as well.

Not much to say about the commutes. 12C in the morning, 24-27C in the afternoon, little wind and sunny. Commuter's paradise.

I almost rode over a mouse yesterday. Saw it coming but couldnt avoid it, just did not feel anything go under the rear wheel so must have missed the little fella.

And I had to do some unplanned maintenance this evening. My wife's bike make horrible noises while braking, turns out the front brakepads were worn to the metal. Put on new Koolstop pads. Made new connectors on the cable connecting to the taillight, they kept falling off - not a big deal now that sunlight here is from 5-22 but I want it to work anyway.

CB of the East
    ^^I just replaced the pads on my wife's bike the other day too. Not worn to metal but worn well past the grooves. She doesn't pay attention to much like that. I have to ride her bike up and down the road every once in a while to see if anything is loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I'm stuck on a weight at the moment too. I think my biggest current issue is the replacement of my beer intake with tequila and scotch. If I could cut out the alcohol I'd probably move forward.
    HaHa, I haven't checked in here in a while. I said I gave up cookies but the alcohol is probably slowing my progress. Tequila and whiskey are yummy. As are vodka, gin and rum. One thing at a time.

Weight! Yeah, I'm down to 205 but it comes off slowly. I'm kinda stuck at that weight. Commuting five days a week has helped but I can't seem to get past it. Eating less only makes me feel out of energy. My power to weight ratio can't be good. I'm not really fat but sure as heck ain't lean either.

Average today was 18.9 mph. I finally dropped the guy who was drafting off me. On a couple of my longer segments the average was close to 22 mph. But 25?? Dang bedwards, that's impressive. I may have to shave!!!

Yeah, 105 was an all time high for the area. Growing up in Texas I'd run 4 to 5 miles at lunch when the temps were north of 100 without a second thought. But you get used to the cooler temps here and getting old doesn't help!
    If you shave you can't blame it on the beard anymore. I give credit to the time trial bike. It makes a huge difference. I bought a used one from a friend to try it out. It's fast but I don't enjoy riding it as much as a regular bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    I've been shooting for an "active rest" pace yesterday and today during my commute, so that I have a chance to recover after 3 straight days of mountain biking. I read in a training thread that some people have had luck with a schedule where they don't bike more than 3 days in a row, but I am going to interpret that as not biking hard more than 3 days in a row, since I do fine with biking a bit everyday, and just want to add more mountain biking days on top of that.
    Active rest works. I read a tip to use a heartrate monitor and try to keep your heart-rate during the ride below some threshold. I usually shoot for below 130BPM which is hard if you have to climb any hills.

90F and humid around here these last few days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey Skeggs that sounds nice. How old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 3 and both riding a bike already, although #2 still likes the strider bike as well.

... not a big deal now that sunlight here is from 5-22 but I want it to work anyway.
    2: walking around on strider, 5: ripping around on 12", but moving on to 16" wheels soon

light at 22! I was chasing the end of it at 20:45 last night.

bedwards: thanks for the heart monitor tip

mtbr member
    Skeggs,
    Another tip from bedwards :https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/
    I Am at about the same height as the hudson bay southern shore and we are just short of 17 hrs of daylight currently.
    Your kids have a perfect age to learn that riding a bike is fun. Make sure to ride around a lot to the playground, how to ride down a step etc and get a lot of icecream during a ride

Surprise this morning. 12c and sunny as usual but when I left my street it turned out to be foggy. Sun disappeared and 12C was quite fresh suddenly. Sunglasses got fogged too and took them off. It got better to the end and I had the usual 25C on the way home.

mtbr member
    Not too bad. Wasn't going to come to town, but then decided I should so took a later bus than normal which worked out well. Got into town and about a quarter of the way to work when I flatted out. Wouldn't have been a big deal, but on Sunday night, the last time I had ridden the road bike, I got two flats within five miles of each other. Then one again today... I just don't know what's going on. They are pinch flats, but I was sure I'd been running enough pressure. Frustrating.

mtbr member
    Blockphi, are those flats in the same area? You might have something sticking in the tire that is only peeking through when the tire has contact to the ground. I had something similar once with a flat where the patch was punctured. Or do you mean snakebites?

16C already this morning. Forecast didnt hold, it remained cloudy and we got "only" 21C today. Bit so far we are spoiled, normally june, july and august are the months with the most rain of the year but by now we are closer to a drought. First news of water shortage are popping up which is unusual here, but it is like it is. Luckily I am not impacted yet but I also do hope that we will have some more rain in the near future. But so far it looks like at least one more week of sunny and dry weather.....

And it is quiet here... Everybody in alc coma because of 4th of july?

CB of the East
    ^^I think everybody is sluggish from the heat.
    How was your commute today?-wgfhi.gif
    I didn't have too much excessive intake over the 4th. I am moving a little slow because of the mid-week holiday, late bedtime and normal work arrival. It's about 94F here right now.

mtbr member
    Blockphi, are those flats in the same area? You might have something sticking in the tire that is only peeking through when the tire has contact to the ground. I had something similar once with a flat where the patch was punctured. Or do you mean snakebites?
    Yeah, snakebites. However, I think there may be something with the rim causing it to happen as they seem to happen in the same spot - just by the valve, which also happens to be where I have a spoke that keeps coming loose. I'm thinking maybe there's a bit of flex going on there that's causing these flats. I think I'll take a chance at replacing some spokes this weekend to see if I can fix the issue - the two spokes in question have bad nipples, so...

Bed, get this - We hit 78F at my place yesterday. Alaskans are melting to puddles left and right.

I'm #87!
    Not too bad. Wasn't going to come to town, but then decided I should so took a later bus than normal which worked out well. Got into town and about a quarter of the way to work when I flatted out. Wouldn't have been a big deal, but on Sunday night, the last time I had ridden the road bike, I got two flats within five miles of each other. Then one again today... I just don't know what's going on. They are pinch flats, but I was sure I'd been running enough pressure. Frustrating.
    Have you checked your rim tape? I've seen a lot of "pinch flats" that were caused by burrs in the spoke holes that weren't covered by rim tape. I've always had great luck with two layers of Stans tape or Duct tape.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

CB of the East
    Bed, get this - We hit 78F at my place yesterday. Alaskans are melting to puddles left and right.
    Wow, I guess.

Weird on the pinch flats. If a rim were moving enough to make snake bites I'd be worried. Bad nipples, I once knew a... nevermind.

mtbr member
    I just confirmed that the most recent flat occurred on the opposite side of the rim from my bad nipples... so I guess there goes that theory. I guess my thumb gauge just needs readjusting... or the universe is telling me I should give commuting on the Pugs with the new wheels a go. Yeah, that's gotta be what it is.

CB of the East
    Or the universe is telling you to buy a cheap floor pump with an accurate gauge and pump those babies up to 110PSI. I used to get pinch flats a lot more often when I didn't have a high pressure gauge. Now almost all of my flats are earned with road debris.

I really like this pump. I have had others and the pump head always wears out. I've had one of these for years and it still seals great.
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...p-bn-egfp-base
    If it does wear out you can get a new one for $7
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-bn-egfph-base

mtbr member
    It's still super hot here. Yesterday, I went to a bike park since I was off work. It was 95F with a heat index of 109F. The good news is, I ride in the heat just about every day, so I'm used to it. Definitely a little more sluggish than normal though.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Was nice and cool this morning but humid. High today of 86F and it is supposed to rain on my way home. I won't complain though since it may help to wake me up. Did a family Bar-B-Que yesterday and spent most of the afternoon grilling in the hot sun. I woke up super tired this morning.

It didn't help that I spent the majority of my ride to work trying to catch up to the flashing light I saw in the distance ahead of me. I did finally but only as a result of a red light on a detour. That guy was FAST. Set a record this a.m. of 39:38 on my MMD which isn't a light bike! Avg speed of 19.1 mph! not bad for a 25+lb bike with 700x35 tires.

Moderator Moderator
    Hot ride (well, for here), 94F when I got out of work but I waited another hour or so and it dropped to 90. I rode the whole way home as I didn't want to leave my car with 2 kayaks on it at my usual park-n-pedal. So that meant an extra 3.5 miles and 1000' up. I just took it slow, wet my head a couple times, and drank plenty of water. I hadn't done that hill in a while so I decided to go light with just my phone and wallet, no backpack loaded with stuff. It was nice to ride that way for a change.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I have a Park Tool floor pump and really like it. They sell inexpensive rebuild kits for it which is nice as the o-rings/seals on any pump will eventually wear out (although I have had mine for four years and it's going strong).

https://www.parktool.com/product/hom...category=Pumps

Some hot rides being reported out there. It's only been in the mid-eighties here. I'm off work this week so no bike commutes for me. But I have been out on my mountain bike a couple of times:

How was your commute today?-img_20180705_111900462_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    A good ride in this AM. 57F and sunny. Since it's Friday I decided to do a fatbike Friday commute. Though, I suppose really it's a plus-size Friday ride. Actually wasn't too much slower than the commute on roadie. Though I don't have specific data on that, yet. More importantly, it was fun.

How was your commute today?-semi-fat-friday.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice rides again today. 16C but windy, cloudy and I even had a few rain drops on my glasses, but who cares. The wind picked up to a steady 17kt wind from the northwest, which makes it a tailwind for most of the ride. Made a detour this afternoon which made 20m/30km today. Rode every day this week.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Seems I spoke too soon. On my ride from my main office to the client site... wait for it... two flats within two miles of each other. WTF?

So, in the last seven days I have six days of riding and six flats between two bikes.

And, to top it all off... I'd tried a ghetto tubeless on the Pugs - which is what blew out on Monday and to finish the ride had just stuck a tube in the tire with the remaining sealant. So when it went this morning... a huge mess.

CB of the East
    ^^Well crap! Flats always seem to come in 3s so you just went through 2 complete cycles. My batch was a few weeks ago. Three (or was it 4) in a row but good since then.

We had thunderstorms scheduled for this morning but I got my ride in done before they started. They should be all done by the time I leave for the day.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice pic, looks like a great ride!

Got caught in a downpour this morning, it rained so hard it hurt! There was a river going down the big hill, with waves, and rocks going across it. One stormdrain was backed up and had a nice standing wave, and the next one downhill had water spouting out of it over a foot high. Made my way safely but I sure was soaked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A decent ride in this morning. No flats, knock on wood, so there's that. It's a bit windy and chilly today and we're supposed to have off and on rain, but so far nothing. Hoping it stays dry, particularly in the valley, so that SprocKidz doesn't get canceled. Can't believe how much I look forward to riding with those kids each week.

mtbr member
    Hi everybody.

Not caught up on anything so no idea on the happenings for the past while. My apologies for the disappearing act. Got caught up and pretty overwhelmed by work and home and some other stuff.

Been riding on and off but certainly not consistently. Temperatures here have been amazing, not had a summer like it for many years.
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

mtbr member
    Just took at look at my mileage for the year. 2030.26. Probably won't hit 5K for the year, but 4k should be in the bag.

mtbr member
    Hey Slipspace, thanks for chiming and and good to hear you're ok!

That is a respectable outlook for blockphi. I hope you will ride them without any flats!

I think I will end with the usual 4500-5000 kilometers or ~3000m. At least it will not be less than last year despite my slow start this year.

Cloudy and windy today. Wind was ok this morning. A Coworker caught up with me from behind and we rode the last part to work together. A steady 20kt tailwind made for a quick ride home.

On the way home my rear wheel suddenly felt like it has a bump in it. Checked the tire and spokes and everything seemed to ok. Have to take a better look at it tonight or at least this week.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Back from my vacation and back in the saddle today. Finished my vacation by meeting a friend late yesterday afternoon for a local favorite hike called Mailbox Peak. Easy to see how it got it's name:

How was your commute today?-mailbox.jpg

The hike is rather challenging, gaining 4000 feet/1220 meters in 3 miles/4.8 kilometers. So my legs felt a little dead on the ride into work this morning.

Light rain, 57F/14C this morning. Not enough rain to get rain gear out, enough rain to arrive pretty wet.

mtbr member
    Red pickup trucks were doing dumb things today. First, one raced around a car in the intersection through a yellow/red light. Second, one passed me and the accelerating bus in front of me in the turning lane as I was getting ready to move into the turning lane. Still hot here.

mtbr member
    Nearly my least favorite riding conditions today. 53F and light rain. However, it had been raining steady and heavily prior to, so the roads were quite wet. I really need to get off the fence about fenders and just do it.

mtbr member

Name:	Mailbox.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	1207465
    Is that a massive garage sized mailbox or clever positioning for perspective on the photo? Either way, looks like a great spot!
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

mtbr member
    And the mailman hikes up there every day?

that bump in my rear wheel turns out to be a partly ripped out tire bead. That is the second conti speedride that has this issue, I guess that I will have to look for another tire. Sad because I really liked the speedride. Its a fast grippy tire with a reasonable mileage possible,but not for me apparently. Dont think I will claim it, sending it in costs 6€ , a new one 11€. But the main question is, which tire now??

Easy rides today. Partly cloudy and dry. Tomorrow a lot of rain is forecasted, we'll see if I can avoid it or have to go through it..

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Is that a massive garage sized mailbox or clever positioning for perspective on the photo? Either way, looks like a great spot!
    Haha, just a standard mailbox.

And the mailman hikes up there every day?
    Whew, that would be a superhuman mailman. The climb is a bruiser and the descent is not easy either. Apparently sometime around 1960 there was a youth camp nearby and the part-time camp director was a full-time mailman during the day. One day he had the idea to lug a mailbox up there and then challenge his campers to make the climb and sign the register.

The previously unnamed peak became known as mailbox peak and the tradition is to make your mark on the mailbox when you reach the top. A new mailbox is put up there every year (not sure who does that now) and as the year goes on it becomes covered with signatures and stickers, and filled with "mail" that people carry up. It's always interesting to open it up and see what's inside. Here is a photo a friend took on a different hike to the top:

How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

But the main question is, which tire now??
    When I did my 100 mile gravel ride in early June, I rode on these:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...ready/p/129999

They look to be in the same class as the Conti tires. They were great on gravel but also rolled well on the road. I don't remember what I paid, but i remember I thought that they were reasonably priced.

Good luck avoiding the rain.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Nearly my least favorite riding conditions today. 53F and light rain. However, it had been raining steady and heavily prior to, so the roads were quite wet. I really need to get off the fence about fenders and just do it.
    I'd gladly trade you weather. Rode home the long way yesterday, 36 miles, and it was in the upper 90's and windy. Sapped all my energy. Saturday in my neighborhood it hit 102F.

My legs are dead today. Kinda disappointing because I found a 100 mile gravel ride in mid September that I want to do and after my 36 mile ride home, I was feeling it. I did put in 13 miles on the way to work so I suppose I made it half way. I'm going to have to put in some long weekend rides if I plan to tackle that gravel ride.

YTD, I hit 2,800 miles or 4500 km. Need to log some extra miles to carry me through my 10 day vacation where I won't be riding at all. :-(

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Here in the Seattle area we are now into what is typically two months of almost perfect weather. Lows will in the high 50's to low 60's (14-17C) and highs will be 75-85 (25-28C). Little to no rain and low humidity.

This morning's ride was a perfect example - 60F, sunny and 80F expected for the ride home. I'm going to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Woodway for the tire suggestion. I also considered the Conti Town Ride since TenSpeed seemed to be happy with them but I believe they don't make those anymore.

No luck with the rain today. It rained most of the day including both rides. It was dry when I left the house this morning but put on the hardshell jacket and had to put on the rainpants as well later on. That became quite steamy along the way, so on the way home I took off the normal pants and wore only the windstopper pants. That was a good combination.

Rode the spare bike today. Nice to feel the difference between 50mm 26" and 40mm 28" tires.

mtbr member
    No ride for me this morning. Woke to the sounds of my rain gutters overflowing - downpour. It's at least slacked off now, but steady rain since 4 this morning. No thank you. Bummer is that there probably won't be SprocKidz tonight, so I'll end up with a whole day off the bike. Don't think, given that I have in-laws up from the lower-48, so getting out for an evening ride is likely a no-go.

I'm #87!
    80F and 75% Humidity at 6:30? Ugh, I'll still be sweating from this morning when I ride home. The good part is that I'll finish the day with a 17 miler in 96F heat with a 105F heat index at the house so I can go right to the shower.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Yikes Forster. Put some ice under your helmet

Dutchman, I know that swampy feeling riding in rain gear this time of year. Depending on the length of the ride and outdoor temp, I often just get wet rather than gear up. Except show covers - I always put them on. Hope you avoid the rain today.

Great morning for me today: 61F, clear just spectacular. Supposed to be in the low 80's for the ride home tonight. Just perfect.

I'm #87!
    Yikes Forster. Put some ice under your helmet
    It's all good, I'm pretty good with heat. Do wish I'd remembered the Chamois Butt'r though.

mtbr member
    A kinda rough one this morning. 49F, but no rain, so there's that. Get to the bus stop. Bus doesn't come. End up waiting for the next bus, 35 minutes after my normal bus. That bus was packed to near standing room only. Not too bad in town - 51F, but I can't shake the chill I got on the bus.

First world problems there. I'm complaining about a crowded bus and a slight inconvenience of needing to wait a half hour for the next bus to come. What a privileged jerk, eh?

Next thing I'll be complaining about my three year old poly-pro shirt always smelling like BO even though I was it after each ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks woodway. "swampy" is the right word. In the morning I always try to avoid getting too wet but usually on the ride home I just ride ins shorts, tshirt and sandals to enjoy the awkward looks of other people. When riding in heat I also always fill up my thermal mug with cold water and icechunks so that I have cold water to drink along the way.

Blockphi, even in africa the bus is exactly on the announced time. But you never know on which day the bus comes

Tire issue is solved! Found 2 conti topcontact on the local CL in the neighbourhood. Picked them up already and mointed them immediately. Width is exactly 42mm but they were difficult to get on the rim, had to use soap again and pumped them up to max pressure to have them sit correctly on the rim.

No commuting for me the next 2 weeks but we are taking the bikes and trailer so I will get some family riding. Keep riding and posting, and stay safe!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks woodway. "swampy" is the right word. In the morning I always try to avoid getting too wet but usually on the ride home I just ride ins shorts, tshirt and sandals to enjoy the awkward looks of other people. When riding in heat I also always fill up my thermal mug with cold water and icechunks so that I have cold water to drink along the way.

Blockphi, even in africa the bus is exactly on the announced time. But you never know on which day the bus comes

Tire issue is solved! Found 2 conti topcontact on the local CL in the neighbourhood. Picked them up already and mointed them immediately. Width is exactly 42mm but they were difficult to get on the rim, had to use soap again and pumped them up to max pressure to have them sit correctly on the rim.

No commuting for me the next 2 weeks but we are taking the bikes and trailer so I will get some family riding. Keep riding and posting, and stay safe!
    Family riding, that's the best kind! Enjoy and be safe!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Enjoy your time off Dutchman.

It's summer quiet in here!

61F and clear this morning for my ride to work.

No rides planned this weekend, but I do have a great hike planned. Have a great weekend everyone!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Working at my house in central Washington today so no commute. But I did get a nice 25 mile gravel ride in before it gets too hot:

How was your commute today?-img_20180716_065852286_hdr.jpgHow was your commute today?-img_20180716_073921966_hdr.jpg

Back to my regular commute tomorrow.
    Last edited by woodway; 6 Days Ago at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^ nobody is commuting?

Thanks woodway. We are now on our vacation address but I spontaneously decided to ride 2 days over here. Went kind of bikepacking style with 2 front panniers and a bag on top of the rear rack. Camped after 96km at a kayaking club and rode another 60km today.

Planned the route with the german app komoot and it turned to be a nice route. Although 60% paved it always preferred quiet roads, bikepaths etc and since this is an area with lots of tourists, there are a lot of good bikepaths here. Part of the paved roads were still quiet bad and the unpaved parts were often just as good.

Tomorrow will be a rain day so legs can get some rest. After that, trailer hauling starts. With the last two days I will probably ride just as much as when I am commuting the next days

I'm #87!
    Working at my house in central Washington today so no commute. But I did get a nice 25 miles gravel ride in before i gets too hot:
    Very jealous. I'm finishing the last 17.5 of my 25 mile day in the hottest part of the afternoon. Fortunately, that's only in the 80s today with heat indexes in the mid-90s. Not like last Friday when I melted in triple digit temps and heat indexes.

Moderator Moderator
    Rode in this a.m., it was still mid 60'sF here in central VT, great riding weather. Now it is 5:45 pm and still 87F. Glad I decided on the commute instead of the group trailride at 5:30 pm. Not a fan of the heat. Yesterday I took the island line bike path (former RR bed through the lake) and then the bike ferry across the 200' gap where a spin-to-open railroad bridge used to be. It was torn out in the 60's. It takes you to the Lake Champlain (almost a great lake) islands. That's me in the blue helmet. 25 miles round trip from Burlington, but you could extend it if you didn't have to catch the last ferry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-causeway-me.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Looks like a fantastic ride MTBX!

Stay cool Forster.

Dutchman, you keep forgetting the pictures!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow, it's really quiet in here.

Some fine commuting weather here in Seattle. Low's 60's this morning, supposed to be in the upper 70's for the ride home.

Hope y'all are having a fine summer.

CB of the East
    Hey woodway, I'm (back) here. I've been off camping for a little over a week. We've got some similar nice weather. T-storms yesterday but I avoided them all. Today was around 60F for the ride in and should be 80F for the ride home. That was pretty much the weather for the whole week of camping except there was ZERO rain.

MTXB, I just learned of that trail a few weeks ago. It looks like a very interesting ride right across the middle of the lake. I can't imagine how that ferry makes enough money shuttling people across a few hundred feet of open water to keep running.

Here are the biking highlights from camping.
    The Candid Cyclist: Camping 2018

Happy summer.

Moderator Moderator

MTXB, I just learned of that trail a few weeks ago. It looks like a very interesting ride right across the middle of the lake. I can't imagine how that ferry makes enough money shuttling people across a few hundred feet of open water to keep running.

Here are the biking highlights from camping.
    The Candid Cyclist: Camping 2018

Happy summer.
    Looks like some nice riding, love the photos. The deerflies have been particularly fierce this year here too.

The bike ferry is owned by the bike/ped non-profit, Local Motion, so it may not be a profitable venture. It is a pretty popular local and tourist draw, and they ask $8 round trip so they do make some money. Local bike rental places also benefit. You can also combine it with the car ferry back from NY state to make a longer loop instead of an out and back like we did.

CB of the East
    It is quiet around here.

I would make that causeway loop a biking destination if I was going to be in the area. I can't quite justify the 250 mile trip to do it on its own though. Here's a satellite map. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5735.../data=!3m1!1e3

I pulled the old steel bike out for the first time this year. That is still a smooth riding beast! Not quite as quick up the hills as my modern bikes but still fun to ride.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Great pics bedwards! Riding in the Cascades can get a little buggy at times but does not seem to hold a candle the deerfly encounters you are talking about.

Took the long way home last night, about 30 miles. I felt great, the temp was right around 75F, nice tailwind for most of the ride home and I bagged a few PR's along the way. Other than an odd encounter with another cyclist (he called me a "weirdo") it was a great night. 60F and cloudy this morning, but dry. Thursday already!

CB of the East
    So, what made you a weirdo in the eyes of this other cyclist?

mtbr member
    Haven't posted here in awhile. Been back to commuting since starting work at a bike shop back in March. It's been rough the last two weeks or so, with going home temps being in the triple digits, and heading south directly into a hot oven headwind. Gonna start trying some electrolyte tabs and icing my bottles for the ride home to see if that helps curb the desire to die about halfway through.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

CB of the East
    Howdy Tex! Are you in Texas, Florida or none of the above? Oven hot sounds more dry like Texas than muggy like Florida.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Haven't posted here in awhile. ... Gonna start trying some electrolyte tabs and icing my bottles for the ride home to see if that helps curb the desire to die about halfway through.
    Hello again! Stay

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    So, what made you a weirdo in the eyes of this other cyclist?
    Well, it's hard to know.

I was waiting at a light and when it turned green he passed me without a word and accelerated away. He was younger than me, looked fit and was riding a nice bike so I assumed I would never see him again. But to my surprise I caught him on a long hill. I figured at the top he would pull away again so I rode behind him but about 3/4 way up he pulled to the right and I thought he was stopping so I passed him. I guess that pissed him off because a short time later he passed me on the right (without a word). So I ended up riding about 100 yards behind him for miles. And it turns out we were taking the same route so even after multiple turns and ups and downs I was still behind him.

I finally lost him when he went through a light and I got caught. But about a half mile down the road, there he was on the side of the road fixing a flat. As I rode by he stands up and yells at me "Have a nice ride, wierdo". Maybe he thought I was stalking him. I'm not really sure.

Anyway, mellow ride today to end the week. No rides planned this weekend, but a nice hike with friends. Have a good weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    ^^You should have offered to help him with his flat. At least he said have a nice ride.

Still near perfect weather here. I started with a windbreaker at about 50F but it had warmed up quite a bit in the first 5 miles so I stuffed it in a pocket. I managed to pick up a KOM I have been attempting for years this morning. I think I am still loosing ground though. People keep turning in faster times.

Have a good weekend weirdos! And you too woodway.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    He said nice ride, but I don't think he meant it

I managed to pick up a KOM I have been attempting for years this morning. I think I am still loosing ground though. People keep turning in faster times.
    Nice job on the KOM. It's a given that no matter how fast you think you are, there is someone faster...

Have a good weekend weirdos! And you too woodway.
    This inspired me to update my profile...

CB of the East
    He said nice ride, but I don't think he meant it

Nice job on the KOM. It's a given that no matter how fast you think you are, there is someone faster...

This inspired me to update my profile...
    Hey, rodar y rodar use to be a weirdo too.

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, I knew there was another weirdo around here! Fieldwork a couple hours away and super early prevented a bike commute yesterday, but I was able to pedal the BMX to a surprise party; a great way to keep the surprise by not having a bunch of cars in the driveway.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hey, rodar y rodar use to be a weirdo too.
    Since all three of us are named Brian, all that is left is for you to become a wierdo too...

mtbr member
    Another weirdo named Brian and proud of it!

Recent picture

I'm #87!
    Short 14 miler today that I should have skipped. I'm couch bound with a 102F temp. No commutes for a while. For the first time since 1983 I find myself unemployed without another job lined up. A little bummed, but sometimes the environment is too toxic to make it worth hanging in there.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Short 14 miler today that I should have skipped. I'm couch bound with a 102F temp. No commutes for a while. For the first time since 1983 I find myself unemployed without another job lined up. A little bummed, but sometimes the environment is too toxic to make it worth hanging in there.
    Yikes, sorry to hear that, but glad you got out of a toxic environment.

We just learned this week that our small company has been acquired. Fortunately, it was not by a competitor but rather by a company that we have worked with in the past and they just want to expand their capabilities. We're not even going to have to change our company's name and our positions are mostly so specialized that there is no overlap, definitely not any with what I do. They are highly ranked on "Great Place to Work"; I'm really hoping we get their benefits as they are awesome. They even have bikes to use on their campus. Not that my office is big enough for that or that I would expect the bikes to be as good as what I'm used to.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Members who have read this thread: 170