Page 235 of 235 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235
Results 23,401 to 23,482 of 23482
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=z1r;13686353] I put my 22 year old commuter bike in the stand to try to find where the creaking noise I kept hearing lately when I stand on the pedals was coming from. Sadly, I found it; a crack at the seat stay wishbone where it connects to the seat tube. I am seriously bummed. No other bike I have rides anywhere as nice. [QUOTE]

You should be able to find a person skilled in brazing to repair it. I sent my frame to Yellow Jersey in Madison WI. To get some braze ons and a straightening. Then powder coated it locally. I am very satisfied with Andy's work.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    [QUOTE=BrianMc;13688062][QUOTE=z1r;13686353] I put my 22 year old commuter bike in the stand to try to find where the creaking noise I kept hearing lately when I stand on the pedals was coming from. Sadly, I found it; a crack at the seat stay wishbone where it connects to the seat tube. I am seriously bummed. No other bike I have rides anywhere as nice.

You should be able to find a person skilled in brazing to repair it. I sent my frame to Yellow Jersey in Madison WI. To get some braze ons and a straightening. Then powder coated it locally. I am very satisfied with Andy's work.
    Thanks, I contacted Jeff yesterday and he said send it back. I have the frame stripped down except for the headset cups, my tool won;t fit through the cups. I'll get it boxed and sent off. I'm very happy. Only now it gets harder to justify building the Macho Man. Well, wink , wink, one never knows if the frame can truly be saved so I guess I better build the MM just in case, right?

CB of the East
    ^^Good news! Why wouldn't you build the Macho Man?

No bike commute today for me. I needed the car after work and it's raining so I didn't try too hard on a workaround.

mtbr member
    A pretty good ride in this AM. Cool, but no wind, so there's that.

After the discussion around here bout cracked frames, I decided to take a wire wheel to mine to see if the cracks were just in the powder coat as Surly had claimed was what most people were seeing or if they were really the tubing itself...

How was your commute today?-20180602_144124.jpg

How was your commute today?-20180602_144127.jpg

How was your commute today?-20180602_144130.jpg

Time to find a welder...

I did shoot an email to Surly to see if they'd do anything even though it is well outside of warranty. I don't expect much, but given the issues they had with these frames in the past I figured it was worth a shot.

Crappiest part is that this summer's SprocKidz program starts tonight and I don't have another MTB or the funds right now to go buy one.

On the other hand, I've been riding it with at least the left side crack for a year or more... It's that one on the right that worries me.

mtbr member
    Good news for you Z1R - you get to love bikes after so much time and I would be sad too. Hope the repair holds long!

Good luck with that Blockphi - I hope it works out well for you too.

After 2 weeks of hot temps finally a bit cooler here. 18C only over the day and cloudy. Tomorrow apparently a new heatwave will start until the weekend, after that I hope it will cool down longer...at least we didnt have local floods that seem to come with every thunderstorm nowadays. And uneventful rides.

mtbr member
    This is amazing - I actually just got an email from Surly and they are going to help me out with this. How danged cool is that? Good excuse to have the shop that's helping me with this build me a new set of wheels? I think maybe so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    1st commute day this year for me...
    a whopping 6 miles this morning. it was fine although I forgot my water bottle.
    We've had serious rain over the last week (3 people locally died in flooding Wed night), so I didn't try the trail version.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    This is amazing - I actually just got an email from Surly and they are going to help me out with this. How danged cool is that? Good excuse to have the shop that's helping me with this build me a new set of wheels? I think maybe so.
    That's awesome. Great to hear. Keep us posted.

I think I will complete the Macho Man and make it my commuter and convert my Red bike, once repaired, to a 1x drivetrain and use it for tearing up the single track. Once I stripped off all the parts and weighed the bare frame, I was astounded to see my old frame weighed 1980 grams compared to 2390 for the Macho Man. The Macho Man fork weighs 200 grams more than the old bike's fork.

mtbr member
    No commute for me today. I actually got up, got ready to go and headed out on the bike. Got down the first hill and up the second (all within a quarter mile of the house) and my hip was bothering me so badly that I turned around and got my car. Not sure, but I must have tweaked it last evening at SprocKidz - which is funny as it was the first night, so very little riding, just getting the kids grouped into their riding groups for the season.

Getting old stinks!

mtbr member
    Hi Blockphi, that doesnt sound good. Good luck with that! And how old is your cracked Surly frame actually?

Uneventful commutes today. Nice cool ride this morning, sunny and warm on the way home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Hi Blockphi, that doesnt sound good. Good luck with that! And how old is your cracked Surly frame actually?
    It's a 2012 model. Purchased as a frame only in 2014 to replace a prior broken frame that was broken completely of my own fault.

Technically it is past the warranty period, but they did have some issues with a few runs of these frames from that model year - so I think that might be part of their desire to take care of it. As well the fact I'd contacted them before on the issue and they said it was just the powder coat and to keep an eye on it.

CB of the East
    ...As well the fact I'd contacted them before on the issue and they said it was just the powder coat and to keep an eye on it.
    I'm thinking that they better give you a new frame! I'm so glad I got rid of mine that was the same vintage.

It's unseasonably cold here. We broke a record yesterday for the lowest high temperature on that date. Today's slightly better and then improving every day. I'm on the rain bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Routine bikecommute but non-routine work week thus far. On Saturday there was a fire in a cubicle 3 stories up. The sprinklers and FD put it out but there is lots of water damage over several floors. I guess the alarm to the FD did not work because they were working on sprinklers elsewhere in the building; not sure how security missed the smoke and shower on their rounds. Some have to work remotely, but in my area it is optional. I guess I am more of a "my home is my castle" person and would rather not telecommute (plus I would miss my bikecommute), so I have been at my cube in a pretty empty office space. Some fan noise and tomorrow is duct cleaning 1 flight up, but mostly OK.

Cause still undetermined, other than electrical:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-nl.fireimg_2544.jpg  

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^ A new approach to getting your boss to allow you to work at home: set your cubicle on fire!

I worked from a home office for two years and at the end came to the conclusion that I would rather work the majority of the time from an office. Better work/life separation, and as MTBX calls out, a daily bike commute.

I stripped the commuter down last night and gave it a deep cleaning. It was pretty bad, especially after my cross-state gravel ride. It rode beautifully this morning, quiet and smooth. 52F and clear. Nice commute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^ A new approach to getting your boss to allow you to work at home: set your cubicle on fire!

But I agree with you Woodway and MTBX: Wouldnt want to miss by bikecommute either and I work from home sometimes, but dont really like it.

Nice rides today, weather was again very good. Actually planned a longer ride home via a new route this afternoon but then I worked for 9,5 hrs straight and was so empty that I rode straight home :-/ By the time I came home I regretted it, all worries were already "gone with the headwind"

CB of the East
    Today was one of those rare days that I skipped the bike commute due to illness(?). I woke up at 6:00 and stayed in bed debating whether to ride or not until I couldn't even to make it to work on time in a car (around 7:45). My limbs feel a little dead and my head is in a fog. I'm hoping to get back at it tomorrow.

used to be smokin'
    Getting old stinks!
    Yup! I haven't been on the commuter bike since I got back from vacation, back hurts, have had just one day off work and mistakenly went for a small mtb ride that day which made it worse, then picked up a steering gear off the floor yesterday made it worse too. Can't wait for the weekend to lay around and stretch and relax. Hopefully be on the bikes next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hope you are feeling better soon bedwards and Eugene.

Easy commute for me this morning. 57F, partly cloudy, no wind. The bike is running butter smooth and it's a joy to ride!

Spherical Earther
    New drive train, set-up on the new bike stand (used Wrench Force, like new, $100, wish I'd had one before). Ride was great because everything was set-up right the first time.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Hey Bedwards and Eugene, hope you guys get well soon.

Forster, Woodway, yes new parts always feel better. Now that you mention it, I think I could use new drivetrain parts too. The Rohloff is hardly broken in after 16tkm/10tm but cog and chain are on there for more than a year already. Next week wife and kids are back home again including the spare bike, I think I will order some parts and replace everything.

Anyone got hailed on in Texas? Locally they got hailstones big as a baseball that made it even into the news here in Europe.

Hot again today. This morning was nice with 16C and some sun, ride home was 28C. Probably it will remain like that with temps up to 30C, early next week weather gets back to normal: max 20C and regular showers :-/ May was exceptional hot, normally we have ~20days a year on which max temp is 25C or more, in May we had like 12 already, and the next 5 days will be over 25C as well probably. Statistically seen, summer is almost over :-/

CB of the East
    I'm not feeling quite as dead today, thanks. I did ride.

Woodway, nothing sounds as nice as a freshly cleaned drivetrain. But boy don't I hate that chore! I did one of my bikes last week. It takes almost 2 hours to get all the gunk out of the chain links and out from between the gears. 50/50 weather I pull the cassette off to wipe down each cog or try to floss it. Maybe if I cleaned each bike more than once every 4-6 months it wouldn't be as caked on.

I had to look up that hailstorm. You'd want your bike helmet on if you went out in that.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Dang, everyone was infirmed this week. I spent the weekend replacing the sprinkler system at my Mom's. In the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh. I guess "I'm getting to old for this Scheiße." Wrenched my back so today is the first day I felt good enough to ride. Five days off the bike and I was going through some serious withdrawals.

I got my Lyon stripped down to the frame, packaged and mailed off to the builder. Fingers crossed!

Here's pic of my crack, well, ok, the bike's crack: How was your commute today?-1in8wddh.jpg

I was amazed at how light the frame is despite the gusseting around the head tube. Vintage with a 1" headtube or more correctly, steerer.

How was your commute today?-5icjtm2h.jpg

For now, I am proceeding to build up the Macho Man by repurposing the parts off another bike. Had to order a few parts that wouldn't fit as well as new cable housings, etc. I'm thinking that if my Lyon frame comes back I will retire it from commuter duty and build it as a 1x10, get some tubeless rim brake wheels, squeeze some 40's into it to ride the local single track. Again, fingers crossed.

The commute this morning was nice. Good temps but too many bugs. getting tired of having to wash the bugs out of my beard when I get to work. Gotta find some sort of thing to keep them from getting stuck in the beard, lol. Only thing I can think of is a bandanna but that seems too bank robberish.

Ride home is gonna suck as it is supposed to be 95f/35c this afternoon.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Here's pic of my crack, well, ok, the bike's crack:
    LOL

I was amazed at how light the frame is despite the gusseting around the head tube. Vintage with a 1" headtube or more correctly, steerer.
    Perhaps too light. A beefier frame probably wouldn't have cracked. Although that doesn't explain the Pugsley. Those are made of lead pipe.

Spherical Earther
    Hey Bedwards and Eugene, hope you guys get well soon.

Forster, Woodway, yes new parts always feel better. Now that you mention it, I think I could use new drivetrain parts too. The Rohloff is hardly broken in after 16tkm/10tm but cog and chain are on there for more than a year already. Next week wife and kids are back home again including the spare bike, I think I will order some parts and replace everything.

Anyone got hailed on in Texas? Locally they got hailstones big as a baseball that made it even into the news here in Europe.

Hot again today. This morning was nice with 16C and some sun, ride home was 28C. Probably it will remain like that with temps up to 30C, early next week weather gets back to normal: max 20C and regular showers :-/ May was exceptional hot, normally we have ~20days a year on which max temp is 25C or more, in May we had like 12 already, and the next 5 days will be over 25C as well probably. Statistically seen, summer is almost over :-/
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...hailstone.html My birthplace had a record setting hailstone a few years ago and the family that found it thinks it was nearly broken in half by the impact. That same storm produced stones that went through shingles and roofs. No something I want to experience. My worst hail was during a storm when we had a 9" deep covering of golf ball sized hail every where. It was so intense it removed the stain from our wooden deck. That was scary enough for me.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    [ My worst hail was during a storm when we had a 9" deep covering of golf ball sized hail every where. It was so intense it removed the stain from our wooden deck. That was scary enough for me.
    A couple of years ago the kids and I went for a leisurely ride through the park. As we rounded a corner, we suddenly encountered an area about the size of a football field covered about 4" deep in nickle and dime sized hail. Talk about localized. It was eerie!

A couple of weeks ago there was a storm in a town not far from here where they had to use the snow plows to remove the hail from the streets.

Nature, it amazes.

mtbr member
    Hey z1r hope they get it fixed and that you get it painted in that color again! Looks really good.

I once rode into a hailstorm with just normal hail, maybe 2mm or so, and man that was terrible loud on the helmet already. Here is the vid on the dutch news:
    https://www.nu.nl/238094/video/enorm...-in-texas.html

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey z1r hope they get it fixed and that you get it painted in that color again! Looks really good.

I once rode into a hailstorm with just normal hail, maybe 2mm or so, and man that was terrible loud on the helmet already. Here is the vid on the dutch news:
    https://www.nu.nl/238094/video/enorm...-in-texas.html
    I assume that since you're referencing Dutch news that you're Dutch? If so, have you ever asked yourself "Geef me mijn fiets"?

You're very multilingual, that's impressive.

Yeah, I hope it does get repaired and I will definitely get it repainted in that color.

mtbr member
    Yes im dutch but I live in germany for like 14 yrs or so. I have to admit thst you impress me too with dutch and german?! You are not secretly using a translator site are you?

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Definitely cheated for the Dutch. I can just tell some of the roots and other similarities to German and English, but I can't speak it. Spent several weeks in Amsterdam in 1992, then left for Prague just after New Year. New year in Amsterdam was insane.

Love the bike culture there but personally didn't find the bikes to be very comfortable.

I just love the old "Give me back my bike" story.

The guy I knew there spoke five different languages and was learning Russian which he thought was the hardest. Impressive school system to be sure.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ you guys are impressive. I have enough trouble with English.

OK, so today I had a procedure done to remove a cyst on my head. Took an hour, local painkiller, no problem, walked back to the office afterward. Have about six stitch's in my head. Now the worst part - the Dr. does not want me to ride until he take the stitch's out on JUNE 19TH. JUNE 19TH!!! That's like SIX YEARS AWAY (in bike years)!!! How the HELL am I not going to ride until JUNE 19TH? I'm in a funk right now....

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ^^^^
    Ugg! That sux! My back cost me 5 days, seemed like forever.

Maybe take the bike apart, clean it, put it back together? I dunno, that's rough!

Hope you heal quickly!

Hang in there!

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Routine bikecommute but non-routine work week thus far. On Saturday there was a fire in a cubicle 3 stories up. The sprinklers and FD put it out but there is lots of water damage over several floors. I guess the alarm to the FD did not work because they were working on sprinklers elsewhere in the building; not sure how security missed the smoke and shower on their rounds. Some have to work remotely, but in my area it is optional. I guess I am more of a "my home is my castle" person and would rather not telecommute (plus I would miss my bikecommute), so I have been at my cube in a pretty empty office space. Some fan noise and tomorrow is duct cleaning 1 flight up, but mostly OK.

Cause still undetermined, other than electrical:
    You must be in that building on the hill. I’ll be glad when session stops and summer parking gets better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ haha, yes you are correct EBG, I take it you work in downtown Montpeculiar! Where do you bikecommute from? I live on the BarreTown/Orange line, and usually ride in from McFarland in Barre City.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry woodway that is terrible! Not to give medical advice, but that does sound overcautious! But then, no having much of my own medical experience, I always use dogs as my go to - would a dog stay still for 2 weeks after stitches? Hell no, lol. Softpedalling maybe?

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    ^^ haha, yes you are correct EBG, I take it you work in downtown Montpeculiar! Where do you bikecommute from? I live on the BarreTown/Orange line, and usually ride in from McFarland in Barre City.
    Yep. In Montpeculiar M-F. Too far to bike commute unfortunately (Craftsbury/Wolcott line). I just recognized that picture and was caught off guard to see it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That explains the parking issue! Went thru your home territory on fieldwork just this morning. It's beautiful; leaving home (in a work car) by 4 a.m. was not so beautiful.

CB of the East
    ^^^ you guys are impressive. I have enough trouble with English.

OK, so today I had a procedure done to remove a cyst on my head. Took an hour, local painkiller, no problem, walked back to the office afterward. Have about six stitch's in my head. Now the worst part - the Dr. does not want me to ride until he take the stitch's out on JUNE 19TH. JUNE 19TH!!! That's like SIX YEARS AWAY (in bike years)!!! How the HELL am I not going to ride until JUNE 19TH? I'm in a funk right now....
    I've always found that ignoring that kind of advice works wonders. If you don't have limitations on walking around or climbing stairs how is biking different. I'd say keep your heart-rate/blood pressure in a low range and enjoy. That's my professional opinion. Of course I am a professional engineer not a medical professional so the advice may be poor. I was also riding a few weeks in or a broken collar bone so I may not be that smart. But the doctor never said I couldn't. (or maybe he did)

Speaking of riding while down. I'm still battling some kind of energy sucking, brain fogging sinus thing but decided to push it for the commute. 21MPH average. I'm going to try to burn it out.

mtbr member
    Dang - 21mph average! That's nice. I'm usually between 16 and 17 on the commute anymore.

Good commutes yesterday and today. I needed it yesterday so badly. Still sans off-road bike so I going through withdrawal there. Need more dirt in my blood stream. Haven't heard anything back yet as to when I might expect the new frame - sure hope they're sending one as the bike shop already destroyed the frame... My plans had been to look at getting a whole new bike before this, but instead I think I'm going to get some updated parts and have a new set of wheels built - maybe even two. I'm thinking about a drop-bar mtb/gravel bike build on it for summers and fat winters. We'll see what I can talk the wife into. A new fat wheelset is absolutely on the table, though, as my current one on the old-school double-wall Large Marge rims are pretty desparate - close to 20K miles on them, they should be. The rear is more oblong than round anymore and even as I get it close to round it still has a huge dip in it where I obviously hit a rock quite nicely... Try as I might, I wasn't able to pull that dent out. I'd love to go 27.5 fat with Jackalope rims, but can pick up a set of lightly used Holy Darryls for next to nothing so will probably go that way. Tubeless is nice, but not something I have to have. We'll see. We'll see.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, 21 mph is very impressive. I average 22+ on some segments but there are enough stops, mergers, and train crossings that my overall average gets dragged down to 18-19 mph.

Bike builds are the worst, just too many options! I initially intended to build the Macho Man as a 1x11, then lost my discount at the bike shop so it looks like the 2x10 makes more sense since I already have all the parts. Gonna use the take off wheels for now but would really like to upgrade to a lighter but stout set in the not too distant future. If my Red bike frame is repairable, I have been thinking of upgrading the wheels to a set of rim brake tubeless wheels. I see Mavic now has a set of Open Pro UST rims that are wider than the old clinchers. I have had nothing but good luck with the old Open Pro's. Have them on two bikes and have racked up a good many miles without issue.

Keep us posted on your build out.

CB of the East
    This route is all right turns with only one light and it was green!

I hear you on the bike builds. I'm pretty good at putting all the parts together when they are in front of me but figuring out what you actually need to buy is a pain with all the different standards these days.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I love bike builds. All the research on parts, reading reviews and forums and talking to people about what to buy is fun. The actual build is always a let down compared to the build-up.

z1r - I'm with you on Mavic Open Pro. Hate Mavic hubs, love Mavic rims. My commuter is rolling Mavic Open Pro's laced with DT Swiss spokes and DT Swiss hubs (love DT Swiss hubs). The wheels have over 40K miles on them and are going strong. What's not to like?

I struggle to average 15MPH on my commutes. But if I get more than a mile of flat riding, I am doing good.

OK, the doctor called me last night to check on how I was doing and I prodded him a bit more about riding. The concern is that the procedure was on my head and head wounds bleed. He's worried that the wound will open and get infected. He did say that if I waited until tuesday or wednesday and took things easy, I would probably be OK. YES!

CB of the East
    Hate Mavic hubs, love Mavic rims....
    Funny you should mention that. I needed to service my freewheel and started to pull it off. Moments after I was thinking I was putting an uncomfortable amount of force on the itty bitty 5mm bolts that hold it all together SNAP! the axle cracked to relieve the hex key pressure. I got it apart and back together with vice grips. When it is all clamped in the bike I think it will be fine. But always suspect from now on. I do have a spare Mavic rear wheel that has a cracked rim. If I can get it apart.

...OK, the doctor called me last night to check on how I was doing and I prodded him a bit more about riding. The concern is that the procedure was on my head and head wounds bleed. He's worried that the wound will open and get infected. He did say that if I waited until tuesday or wednesday and took things easy, I would probably be OK. YES!
    YES!

The commute was uneventful, nice day, fast speed, the axle held.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    The commute was uneventful, nice day, fast speed, the axle held.
    I have a DT Swiss 240S hub on my commuter. Easiest thing on the planet to service - pop end end cap off (with your fingers if you are strong, I grab it with a channel lock) and all the bits are right there for cleaning/lubing. No hex wrenches needed. No tiny little springs/metal bits to lose/fuss with. No stupid washer to remember to put back inside. No hub body with a composite bearing surface that wears out after a while.

No commute for me today. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Spherical Earther

OK, the doctor called me last night to check on how I was doing and I prodded him a bit more about riding. The concern is that the procedure was on my head and head wounds bleed. He's worried that the wound will open and get infected. He did say that if I waited until tuesday or wednesday and took things easy, I would probably be OK. YES!
    Duct tape and Windex is all you need.

mtbr member
    I had a 38 mile ride this Saturday which was the longest I've been on, and I held a much faster pace than I anticipated. I ride to work today thinking I would be sore but I set my fastest time in. Feeling pretty good for the rest of the week.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Duct tape and Windex is all you need.
    Haha, true! Actually a light cycling cap under my helmet did the trick. 39F and clear when I left the house. Took it easy, nice commute.

CB of the East
    No stupid washer to remember to put back inside.
    Ha Ha, I forgot to put the stupid washer back in it the first time I put it back together. It makes it a fixie.

No commute this AM due to an appointment but I've got the bike for the ride home.

Moderator Moderator
    Haha, true! Actually a light cycling cap under my helmet did the trick. 39F and clear when I left the house. Took it easy, nice commute.
    Great! Easy does it.

No excitement other than a car accident being cleaned up in front of the diner, cops and towtrucks on scene. Likely due to what I call a "Wayside emergency", the sudden need to get into the popular 100 -year old diner without regard to other cars, bikes, etc. You just learn that certain places on your route are prone to trouble.

mtbr member
    Good to hear you're ok with cycling woodway. Take it easy and everything will turn out allright.

Way to go Formu1fan!

Z1r, any progress on your build?

I avage a steady 21kmh/13mph on my commutes....and as time progresses I wont get faster either - maybe time to get a faster bike.

No riding for me the last 2 days, back on the bike today. Weather has finally turned back to normal, no more 30C but the usual cloudy 18C with a 15kt wind from the northwest. At least, that made for an easy way home.

CB of the East
    I avage a steady 21kmh/13mph on my commutes....and as time progresses I wont get faster either...
    Not with that attitude young man!

It is a lot about the bike. In the winter I top out at about 10MPH. But today it was 19.9MPH taking the long way, 30 miles with about 2000' of climbing with time to snap a shot of the covered bridge.

Spherical Earther
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    I had a 38 mile ride this Saturday which was the longest I've been on, and I held a much faster pace than I anticipated. I ride to work today thinking I would be sore but I set my fastest time in. Feeling pretty good for the rest of the week.
    Are you sure it was faster than you thought, or did someone checker flag you a lap early? You would think things like, I dunno, counting laps during the Canadian Grand Prix would have some technology back-up. I'm gonna have to use that at work today. "Oops, sorry. I started leaving an hour early and once I changed clothes, the only fair thing to do was leave early."

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Awesome pace for a ride like that bedwards!

formu1fan, yesterday riding in I was "taking it easy" due to my surgery last week...I upload my ride to Strava and - bam! - a couple of PR's. I mean, how does that happen?

Light rain today, took the ride easy but went longer than yesterday. Felt good.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ^^^ Awesome pace for a ride like that bedwards!

formu1fan, yesterday riding in I was "taking it easy" due to my surgery last week...I upload my ride to Strava and - bam! - a couple of PR's. I mean, how does that happen?

Light rain today, took the ride easy but went longer than yesterday. Felt good.
    yeah, I still can't figure that out. Days when you know you're riding slow because of the previous day's hard ride, and Strava totally contradicts you!!!! And then the day's when you feel like you're pushing as hard as you can and you come in four or five minutes slower than you expected.

Well, as long as I actually get to where I intended I feel pretty good!

Cyclingdutchman, no, not yet. I did get my last package of parts today so I can start putting the pieces together. Probably not until the weekend though. I've been riding my road bike lately but hate riding it on wet paths, my Popo gets wet.

I'm hoping that if/when I get my red bike back, I can convert it to a 1x10. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it. I've been running Shimano Road bar end shifters and an MTB rear derailleur. As a 1x10 I really want to run a clutched rear derailleur. But they are not compatible with my current shifter. So, I'm thinking of switching to SRAM. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'll be building the Macho Man as a 2x10 and finally have all the parts. I'll try to take some pics and document the build.

Today was another hot day, it's 22:30 now and still 92F/33C degrees out. Mornings are 60F/15C. I'm fast nearing 2,500 miles YTD. I am hopeful I'll reach my goal of 5K Miles this year.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Good luck on the build z1r!

55F and cloudy this morning but dry.

mtbr member
    Not with that attitude young man!
    Oh oh *blush* Well you are right nobody will get faster by just taking it easy For that I mostly ride just a bit slower in winter - you seem to be double as fast as in winter? I ride the main bike all year and seldomly snow etc so not much difference there.

I am riding the spare bike at the moment and I am beginning to like it. The main bike is in the shop (basement) waiting for the mechanic (me) to put it back together. New cog on the rear, new bolts for the slide dropouts and a new KMC X1 chain is waiting to be installed. Still debating if I change the front chainring while I am at it. Maybe tomorrow, I am planning a detour on a route that would coincidentally pass by a bikeshop so I just as well might hop in.

Nothing new today here but after I got home tonight it actually rained. RAINED!! for 2 hrs!! Nothing special, just rain, but after so many weeks of dry and sunny weather...and man that smell. Just lovely.

CB of the East
    Rain, yeah, we could really use some of that. We've had a few drizzly days but the ground is dust dry.

But it has made the riding lovely. Shorts and a t-shirt even in the mornings. Another speedy one today.

Spherical Earther
    I'd take cooler morning temps. Not complaining about 75F degrees, but it makes getting ready for work tougher without a shower. Probably doesn't help that I carry my stuff in a camelbak.

Moderator Moderator
    Fun ride home. It was late, so emptier than usual, and on top of that cars were backed up from the roundabout because of flaggers/giant paving machine/one way traffic only. There was enough room to get to the front though, and I asked the flagger if the sidewalk was open. Yes! That took me as far as the rotary, and past the road work, but even after that is was strangely empty, like they must have held those cars forever. Light sprinkles both ways but nothing that got you really wet. Arounf 55F both ways.

CB of the East
    I'd take cooler morning temps. Not complaining about 75F degrees, but it makes getting ready for work tougher without a shower. Probably doesn't help that I carry my stuff in a camelbak.
    I'd take warmer morning temps. Today it was about 50 but I wasn't planning in the light rain so it was cold. Not enough rain to water anything, just enough to get you wet and cold.

MTXB I call that trafficsfaction. I may get some tonight with people coming in for the nice weekend.

I need a rest. I've been doing a lot of extended commutes with some KOM chasing. I've got about 133 miles so far since Monday and my legs are tired. Just in time for the weekend!

mtbr member
    Wow bedwards that an impressive distance just for commuting. Are you taking a rest this weekend or are you riding 2 centuries?

Nice rides here today. Detour on the way home to the lbs and 22C and hardly any wind.

mtbr member
    Well...it was 5c (41F) and the windchill factor was -1.1c (30F) in Aust. Canberra.
    Hell, it was raining too.
    But there is something about it....riding in cold rainy day....
    I must be going crazy....I'm getting out there again...

CB of the East
    I'll probably get out on the mountain bike to wear out the dogs but otherwise I don't have any biking planned. Maybe some kayaking down a lazy river with an icy cold beverage.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

I need a rest. I've been doing a lot of extended commutes with some KOM chasing. I've got about 133 miles so far since Monday and my legs are tired. Just in time for the weekend!
    Lol, same boat I'm in. Dog tired and at 133 miles for the week. Wow, I just realized, we're both at 133! Plan on adding an extra 5 to the ride home to bring me to 150. Hope to get in maybe a 50 mile ride on Sunday. Kinda doubt I'll be motivated to ride tomorrow especially since I have to get an oil change on my truck.

Besides, Sunday the temps are supposed to drop 15-20 degrees.

CB of the East
    ^^Well if you have to add 5 miles to get to 150 then both of our "normal" commutes are 12 too. I'm not feeling motivated to add any miles to the ride home...Unless I can start now. It is 75 degrees with a light breeze blowing generally in the direction of home. I can't wait.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, 12.6 each way. It's been windy all week which has definitely sapped some of my energy.

Yesterday on the way home we got some real light showers. Not enough to soak me but enough to cool me down nicely. I had to get home by a certain time otherwise I'd have take the long way home. Despite being tired it was refreshing, and I wasn't trying to push it hard..

I rode the Cosmic Stallion in today and the fat 38's on it don't roll near as easily as those on my road bike. They are plush but they definitely added to my overall feeling of being tired.

Hope everyone has a safe ride home and a great weekend!

mtbr member
    I'll probably get out on the mountain bike to wear out the dogs but otherwise I don't have any biking planned. Maybe some kayaking down a lazy river with an icy cold beverage.
    The idea of kayaking me more like , I would have chosen this option!))

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Just saw 86F forecast for Sunday here, might pull out the kayak too!

mtbr member
    Hey pingmonster, you are from down under? Nice to see you here. For winter that weather doesnt even sound bad considered what others sometimes have. Sounds like my kind of winter too.

,^^ for the rest, can some of you read minds ? I was went paddling today with my youngest son. Would have gone camping too but tomorrow we have the annual bikeride across the harbour bridge and autobahn etc and we didnt want to leave that one out

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    ^^Just saw 86F forecast for Sunday here, might pull out the kayak too!
    About 10% of SUV's today had a kayak atop it. Seems like it has become contagious in the 95 F temps of the last few days in Southern Indiana.

CB of the East
    Kayaking was achieved. Not much riding over the weekend. I started out with the dogs and one of them got a face full of porcupine quills (again).

My commute was good. My legs were a little more dead than they should be for the weekend off. Temps were cool but supposed to get into the 90s with some strong T-storms this afternoon.

(non commuter related image)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-ynwl2kh3lafdxxydg6crcvngbshrtnyrirldz8e6_1g-2048x1536.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's been hot and humid here. Mid 90s in the forecast today with dew points in the 70s. The ride in was 74F. I yelled like crazy at someone today because they pulled out from a stop sign and cut me off. Kind of annoying to have to slam on the brakes to avoid slamming into the side of a minivan first thing in the morning.

mtbr member
    Rainy and windy and generally crappy in Alaska. It's been a bit of a whirlwind week with little riding taking place.

I did get my new Pugsley frame on Friday evening and spent some time Friday and Saturday building it up. I've yet to ride it more than a little bit around the front yard as I worked to dial in the fit.

As always, bits and bobs had to be bought that I wasn't planning on... such as needing a new 32 tooth chain ring as that is the largest the frame will physically fit while maintaining chainline. In the few spins around the yard I'm not sure what I think about it. It definitely is a different geo than the previous version. I need to get it on trail before I make any grand statements, but I do fear that the changes made to make it more touring-specific are going to turn it into a plodder on the trail. We'll see though.

An out of focus and dimmly lit (maybe taken after one too many pints...) shot in progress.

How was your commute today?-20180616_010748.jpg

Spherical Earther
    Rainy. I did learn how to dig my seat cover out of my backpack and install it on the B-17 without stopping or even slowing down. So that was good. I was going to stop, but then I thought "if I stop and get off the seat, it will just get wet while I'm looking for the cover."

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

As always, bits and bobs had to be bought that I wasn't planning on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180616_010748.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1204140
    Hope it works out for you. I had a similar weekend building the Macho Man. Wish I drank, I could used a few pints!!!!

The bike I was stripping the majority of the parts from only has 1700 miles on it, most of it during winter use. I guess winter use is much harsher than I thought cuz the bottom bracket was trashed! No one had an FSA bottom bracket and I was getting impatient so I ended up buying a new Ultegra Crankset. The frame is bigger than I anticipated and since I haven't been able to ride it yet, I'm not certain it will work out. I also found out that I needed a shorter stem than I had so I had to buy one. Went from a 120 to a 90 and it does greatly improve the feel. I'm hoping to get the cabling sorted out and the chain and drivetrain by Wednesday so I can ride it to see if it is going to work out or not. I'd hate to have spent so much time and effort, not to mention money, only to find out it is too big. Well, I can probably get a fair amount for a complete bike vs just the frame. If I do let it go, I'll swap the Ultegra Crank out for the Apex on my road bike. Then the MMD will have a complete SRAM drivetrain.

Ride in started out great, half a mile into the ride it started misting, each successive mile it seemed to start misting harder. I had hoped to have put in about 20 miles this morning since I left an hour earlier than usual. but by the time I got to the turn off to work, I was soaked and I hadn't bagged my work clothes in a plastic bag so I stopped short. Still, it was nice, about 6 degrees and misty to light drizzle.

More rain is forecast for the ride home.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rainy. I did learn how to dig my seat cover out of my backpack and install it on the B-17 without stopping or even slowing down. So that was good. I was going to stop, but then I thought "if I stop and get off the seat, it will just get wet while I'm looking for the cover."
    Good skill to have, I would have wrecked and the seat would have gotten bloodied.

CB of the East
    As always, bits and bobs had to be bought that I wasn't planning on...
    Hope it works out for you. I had a similar weekend building the Macho Man.
    Which is why I don't like bike builds. Too many picky little details. At least the parts are only 2 days away. (maybe not for blockphi up in AK)

Speaking of that, did you get your pugs covered under warranty?

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Kayaking was achieved. Not much riding over the weekend. I started out with the dogs and one of them got a face full of porcupine quills (again).

My commute was good. My legs were a little more dead than they should be for the weekend off. Temps were cool but supposed to get into the 90s with some strong T-storms this afternoon.

(non commuter related image)
    Looks like a fun weekend. Certainly better than the one I spent wrenching on the MMD!

My legs felt better after the weekend off but it didn't matter much due to the rain this morning. I'm scairt to go fast when its wet! I had a particularly hard fall a few years ago in the rain. Sure miss my fenders, don't think my shorts are gonna dry by the time I go home. I hate putting on wet shorts!

mtbr member
    That sure looks like good times bedwards.

I was paddling saturday but the weather wasnt that nice, it even rained lightly at the end...

Yesterday we had the annual cyclist tour across the harbour bridge. #1 rode himself and set a new record: 24km/16m on the 20" mtb with studded tires. In the group of approx. 6000 people we kept him at the right curb with my wife behind him and me next to him to shield him off from the biggest idiots on fixies zipping through. Have seen only a few kids and they all did great. We left the tour after 20km to make it not too long for him. That was a good idea, the legs seemed to be great but he started to complain that the saddle contact points started to hurt.

Nice rides today. Back on the main bike already and always nice to feel the difference between 622-41 and 559-46 tires. And I admit I seem to like the flatbar with the ergon grips and large barends on the spare bike...hopefully I wont turn into a barswapper like newf...

Blockphi, like that colour! Orange looks good in the snow, makes great pictures

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    No biking, bike building or kayaking for me this weekend. Instead, I went hiking with friends.

To here:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180527_113320898_hdr.jpg

and here:
    How was your commute today?-img_20180617_140510900_hdr.jpg

Mellow commute today. 55F and clear. Stitches from my surgery come out tomorrow. I cannot wait.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Beautiful Woodway!

Good rides today, mostly because I dodged the thunderstorms and damage like this Wind damages Waitsfield barn. I was 100% dry except for the muggy heat.

Here's a scary road hazard today between Bedwards and I, over in New Hampshire: 3 cars pulled from New Hampshire sinkhole

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah, those storms were pretty intense. I was looking at the live lightning site and there were about 1000 strikes/hour and it was headed toward me. So I hitched a ride home with my officemate. It turns out that the lightning petered out before it hit Maine but I was glad to have a ride anyway.

Good commute today! The weather is beautiful.

mtbr member
    3 Pics of last Sunday:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nUHqGwLMdDznU4Vt8

and 1 vid:
    https://youtu.be/FcuDoLXITtc

Woodway that looks like a great hike! And good luck getting those stitches out.

Good thing to take a ride home bedwards. I once rode in a thunderstorm and at one point, the light from the lightning strikes was coming horizontally throught the trees in front of me. Decided to never do that again.

Normal commute today. Picked up my son from school and on the way home, we took a spin around the skating parcours. Good times

Members who have read this thread: 164