Page 234 of 234 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234
Results 23,301 to 23,357 of 23357
    mtbr member
    A wonderful commute in this AM. A bit damp as the roads were wet from overnight rain, but the sun was peeking through the clouds and the mountains were aglow with the light on the fresh spring snow. I didn't want it to end, but, alas, it did. Now I'm sitting here in the office watching it get cloudy again and wishing I had extended the morning ride.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Turned 54 over the weekend so today was my first being one year older. First time this year I could ride to work without leggings and a jacket. Shorts and a short sleeve jersey, woo hoo! Down side is, I'll be sweating on the way home. Warm weather brings out all the pedestrians and once a year cyclists coupled with all the newly hatched goslings, well, you better be awake!

I'll hit 1600 miles for the year on my ride home tonight!

Moderator Moderator
    Lovely here today too. 48F this morning and 60s on the way home, nice and sunny. Remembered to drop the car for an oil change and rode from there. Bike rack was pretty full. Lots of e-bike promotions here, 1 electric company in Burlington VT area is offering rebates or subsidies, they say the 2nd in the USofA.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Weather was nice, temps were good, slightly overcast, so I took the long way home yesterday evening. Logged 37 miles on the way home. Only bad thing is due to the heat, I ran out of water. So I detoured by the golf course where I had to climb a steep hill in order to get to the ice-cold water they provide in Igloo coolers at the top. Let me tell you, it was DARN good!!!

Today, surprisingly, the legs felt pretty good. Biggest issue this a.m. was the gnats that hangout by the river. They stick to sunscreen like crazy, oh, and beards too. Better start bringing a comb with me, yuck!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, thanks for the pics. I like the bike. Can see why you would want one with smaller wheels.

Happy b-day z1r. Nice miles for the year!

Yesterdays ride was not really a commute, but I'll share anyway. I worked from my house in central washington. Finished my work early enough to sneak out for a local ride. Starts off with a nasty fire road climb but soon enough the climb turns into a ribbon of brown:

How was your commute today?-img_20180507_144402977_hdr.jpg

It's a 7 mile, 1500 foot climb to the ridge, but it's worth it:

How was your commute today?-img_20180507_151146356.jpg

The trip back down can best be described as a roller-coaster ride through the woods on a bike. Here is the start - I was having too much fun on the way down to stop and take pics:

How was your commute today?-img_20180507_151623641_hdr.jpg

Arrived at the bottom with a big grin on my face!

mtbr member
    Wood - nice pics there! I am getting itchy to get on dirt, but it'll be a few more weeks before we're dry enough up here to hit the trails.

Yesterday afternoon's ride was pretty stellar - 51F, clear, calm. Ended up putting in 17.5 on the way home.

This morning was crisp and wonderful as well. 38F, clear, and calm. Put in a few extra miles on the way to the office. What a way to start the day, huh?

mtbr member
    Hi Woodway, thanks for the compliment. I think the Dahon Cadenza is more suitable for people with a van or something, not really for city use. Well I can not justify buying a folding bike but who knows what the future brings. And nice!! pics from you there. That view on those snowy mountains is amazing. And I am jealous that you have such nice tracks that are officially marked as MTB track. Over here such tracks are for hiking only.

So in a big town it is normal that wild animals become quite tame, but this morning I had to swerve around 3 ducks that were not even moving despite me ringing the bell and making duck noises. Next time I better try barking like a dog.

Again nice ride today. 12C this morning and incredible 25C on the way home. There was quite a breeze from the southeast today but at those temps it wasnt bothering me at all.

CB of the East
    Woodway, those are some envy worthy trails.

Block, our morning temps were about the same but we're closer to 65F and clear this afternoon.

Dutchman, if you could get somebody to film you barking like a dog at ducks...that would be great.

I'm looking forward to the ride home. The day is dragging.

mtbr member
    Bedwards: I already wondered how long it would take before somebody would comment on that unfortunately I always ride alone and I usually have no camera at hand ....
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Week Ago at 10:50 AM.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Woodway, that looks like a sweet ride! Lucky you.

Well, today being Wednesday, I have to drive the kids to school so no commute for me. To make matters worse, I discovered hat I must have lost my wallet last night while changing out of my work clothes into my cycling gear. Real Bummer!!!!

mtbr member
    Not too bad of a ride in this AM. Warmish at 41 to 43F, but overcast and a slight breeze. Still extended the ride to just under 10 miles - killing time as I left the house a bit early as I can't get into the client's office until 7:30.

The ride home last night was pretty danged awesome. 58F, sunny. Light breeze. Put in just a touch over 20 miles and wouldn't have stopped, but had to get to work on setting up the class I teach this summer.

I think this is the first time I've bike commuted three days in a row in a while. Tomorrow I'll be off bike as I'll be in town and have to do a Craigslist meet up for my daughter, but I hope to be able to take off early enough to put in some miles after work.

mtbr member
    Happy Birthday Z1R! I totally overlooked. Wish you lots of health, happiness and always aired up tires for the next year.

Nice ride today again. 13C this morning and 27C in the afternoon. Met my wife and son shortly before home and rode the last 1km together.

Tomorrow is a bank holiday here and probably the last day of summer weather. Thunderstorms are supposed to roll in tomorrow evening. I have to work and plan to ride Friday again.

CB of the East
    Bank Holiday, Bank Holiday, Bank Holiday. Do you work at a bank? It seems like you just had one of those. We get 7/year and the last one was in February (not including my vacation or course). What I'm trying to say is I'm jealous.

Beautiful weather here too. 70F and sunny. Looking forward to the commute home.

used to be smokin'
    Dang Europeans are always on holiday! So jelly! Funny though because I will be on vacation for 2 weeks here in the near future woo hoo!

Woodway those are some neato looking trails!

103 F on the ride home today, didn't feel too bad because it was windy and I had the sweat air conditioner going. Supposed to cool back down in a couple days.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Cycologist
    I brought a friend to work with me today.

How was your commute today?-lemond_at_work.jpg

Trying to get into commuting one or two days a week. It's an interesting ride, a bit of everything; winding through a quiet neighborhood, single track trail through a NPS park, bike lane through a ritzy neighborhood, bike lane along a very busy 4 lane, some sidewalk where the bike lane gives out, a short multi-use path past Mercedes Benz's new HQ and a "why the hell am I doing this" hill in both directions.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Nice chazpat! Those varied commutes keep things interesting.

Let me throw in some more jealousy on Dutchman's "Bank holiday". I hope you enjoy your day off

103F Eugene? Whew. When it gets in the 80's around here I start bitching about the heat.

48F and cloudy this morning. Probably going to rain this afternoon for the ride home.

mtbr member
    ^^i can understand that some are jealous. I counted and I guess we have about 10 public holidays a year, of which half of is in april and may. And now I throw in the ~23 days a year of paid vacation that are granted by law, and many people have up to 30 in big companies. Also often there are flex hours accounts in which you can save up time that you can use for extra days off. You cant be fired easily too. This leads also to the fact that some people manage to come to work only to collect the money instead of earning it and often it is difficult to fire them. They are safe and they know it.

Sounds like paradise I guess against the other continent. I have the overall impression, on your side, you either work or die. Or you get shot.

Its deteriorating fast here though. Employers use a lot of short term contracts to be able to get rid of people more easily. On the other hand, it is more difficult to find a job once you have been laid off in a big company, because in that case there "must be something wrong with you".

Thats in a nutshell from me. Tomorrow I have to do the work from today as well... :-/

mtbr member
    Chazpat that bike looks nice. Are those brakes mini V's or normal v brakes? They look like v brakes but what about cable pull with those road levers?

CB of the East
    Welcome to the commuter group Chazpat!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    ^^i can understand that some are jealous. I counted and I guess we have about 10 public holidays a year, of which half of is in april and may. And now I throw in the ~23 days a year of paid vacation that are granted by law, and many people have up to 30 in big companies. Also often there are flex hours accounts in which you can save up time that you can use for extra days off. You cant be fired easily too. This leads also to the fact that some people manage to come to work only to collect the money instead of earning it and often it is difficult to fire them. They are safe and they know it.
    :-/
    Before I thought I was jealous but now I know it. I'm maxed out at the vacation time I can earn each year. 15 days. But, at least work is flexible enough to sneak onto MTBR and say hi, they don't mind me parking my bike in the entry way and I earn enough money to buy fun bikes. So, I won't complain. But DAMN 6 weeks off!

Chilly foggy ride in this morning. Looking like a nice ride home.

Moderator Moderator

New Fork Day

Replaced the suspension fork with a rigid from Origin8. The red cable guide on the fork was made at the LBS with a 3D printer.
    How was your commute today?-newfork.jpg

No keys - push to start!

used to be smokin'
    Welcome Chaz! Dutchman the benefits you describe sound alot like the ones we have here, but only if you are in a public sector (gov't) union.

No commutes for me now for quite a while. No work to go to! Not "job" work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, love that bike shops are getting into the 3D printing game. Curious why you swapped forks MTBX?

My last company had development teams stationed in China, Finland and Sweden in addition to the US. It was a fascinating study in attitudes, culture and work ethic. The European model definitely had it's pros and cons. I'm in the same boat as bedwards with only 15 days of vacation per year, but my company does let me work from my house in central washington a day a week which is a bonus.

I took the really long way home from work last night and got about 30 extra miles in. this morning was cloudy and about 48F (but dry). Looks like a nice weekend coming. Have a good weekend everyone.

CB of the East
    ^^30 extra miles. Isn't your standard commute in the 20s?

I was chasing a KOM this morning. I got a PR but still had to settle for 2nd place. 21 seconds behind might as well be an eternity. Well at least I have some challenges to entertain myself with on the way to work.

Happy Friday.

Cycologist
    Chazpat that bike looks nice. Are those brakes mini V's or normal v brakes? They look like v brakes but what about cable pull with those road levers?
    Yes, they are mini Vs. The bike had cantilevers and I was looking for better braking on the single track. Maybe a little better, but I've found the best thing is to get into the drops when descending. I also added the Salsa CX in-line brake levers. They work well but then your leverage on the bars is really reduced so not too good for rough descending; I can see why they have dropped in popularity. But sometimes when riding on the tops it's nice to have them.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

mtbr member
    Hey guys thanks for your feedback. I always thought that you have no paid vacation at all on the your continent. From that point of view, 15 are not bad at all. As Woodway sais it all has pros and cons.

Woodway, you rode 50m today as a commute ^^

Chazpat ok thanks. I think the use of inline levers depends on the type. I had Tektro's for MTN brakes, then switched to road brakes with Procraft inline levers. Now I swapped the bar with different clamp diameter and went back to the Tektro inline levers, because the Tektro's were quite good and the Procraft ones svcked big time. The Tektros need little throw and then bite good immediately and I think I have just as much power as with the brakelevers, despite that they are shorter. A matter of design I guess.

Tough day at work as expected, but I managed. Actually being alone in the office and almost alone in the building was tougher than the sh1tload of work itself. Man is that spooky, floors are all dark and sometimes you hear footsteps somewhere. I was pretty flat when I left work but 35min of cycling made me feel good again #cyclingrulez

Happy weekend everyone!

Cycologist
    As I mentioned, there is a short multi-use path past Mercedes Benz's new HQ that is part of my route. Just past there, it would be back on the sidewalk and then there is a highway interchange where the sidewalk gives out and it is a mess of cars coming off the highway, many of which are then trying to cut across 3 or 4 lanes to turn left at a traffic light a few hundred feet away. So to avoid that, I cut up a less busy road to another less busy road that just bridges over the highway. But it is now a mess of construction and I was afraid they were adding entrance/exit ramps that would make it more difficult and with more traffic.

So I decided to look up online to see just what the plan is, and there was a "Bike/Ped Path" tab:

The project includes planned bicycle and pedestrian improvements. Multi-use paths will be designed and constructed along the southeast portion of SR 400 and I-285. These improvements are funded, in part, by contributions from local community partners. Additional bicycle and pedestrian improvements will be made across Mount Vernon Highway bridge (the bridge I mentioned above) and along Abernathy Road (the road I cut off of to avoid the highway traffic) through the diverging diamond interchange (DDI). These enhancements are designed to help facilitate bicycle and pedestrian connections.

Cool! The bikelane/multi-user path situation is really improving around me. Now if they will just connect this to the bike lane that ends 1/2 mile shy.

Cyclingdutchman, I was actually referring to leverage of the handlebars rather than the brake levers themselves.

Moderator Moderator
    Tough ride this morning, headwinds during the commute were 15-20 mph with gusts of 25-30 mph. There were whitecaps on the river in the opposite direction of the current, so that looked really weird. Really slow ride, about an extra 15 minutes and my legs are sore already going up the stairs. Woodway, the new fork is lighter, stiffer (no energy lost in the squish), and feels more nimble. I have a newer bike for the trails so I didnt really need a suspension fork on the Litespeed anymore. She is 20 this year I think!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Woodway, nice commute. Monday I took the long way home bringing my total for the day to 50 miles as well! Super!

Bedwards, nice try. At least you got a PR. I scored a PR this morning that I've been chasing the last two years. Been trying to break the sub 40 minute mark on my 12.6 mile commute. Previously I managed to get to within 20 seconds but as you say it seemed like those last 20 second may as well have been an eternity. Well, this morning I crushed it. Managed it in 39:08 at 19.2 mph avg. Not bad for a fat, bald, old man on an almost 22 year old bike!!!

I think maybe my bike was jealous that I took a test ride on an All City Cosmic Stallion last nite and wanted to prove it was just as good!

We hit 90 F/ 32 C degrees yesterday, but it has cooled off some today thankfully. Only problem is, the winds have picked up and I'll be fighting a headwind half way home. Still, beats the heck out of driving!

Have a great weekend everyone, happy Feierabend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Cyclingdutchman, I was actually referring to leverage of the handlebars rather than the brake levers themselves .....
    Ah ok got it all wrong then. I know what you mean, when riding a bike with a flat bar it always feels very nimble. Nevertheless, I have never felt disturbed or something by the dropbar on my commuter/touring bike, even when riding with loaded panniers on the lowrider. But it should be mentioned, that I am riding mostly straight ahead on that bike, no curvy trails or similar on my commute :-/

No commute today but we made a nice family ride of 15km with my youngest son in the kiddieseat on the back and my oldest son on his own bike. Picked up a friend of him after 6km, went for icecream and playground, then his friend came back with us so he rode 9km all together.

And for the ones who are interested in the folding bike, here are two pics of the folded bike in the subway. I sat next to it behind the glass and held the handlebar. (and as you can see, the package would become a bit smaller when I turned the handlebar in the other direction)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPeDwfVQeCAxLMzG8

mtbr member
    Perfect weather today and uneventful commute. Exactly how it should be

z1r, you speak German? ^^

mtbr member
    I had my first ride into my new job this morning on my new shoes and pedals. It was terrific, I can't wait to do it again. It's nice this office has showers unlike my old job. Luckily it never got hot in my old locale, but it gets hot and humid here.
    My new commute is luckily almost entirely bike paths, with one unsignalized crossing and a short portion with no bike lane. I leave early enough I don't see many cars but we'll see how the ride back goes.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I was working from my house in Central Washington over the weekend/yesterday. Of course I got out for a ride. Pictures? Well sure!

We rode through an area scored by a 36,000 acre wildfire last year
    How was your commute today?-img_20180512_130330942_hdr.jpg

Plenty of climbing...just minutes before we were riding through the meadow you behind the tree below.
    How was your commute today?-img_20180512_133526159.jpg

Views were fantastic throughout the ride. The forest in the first picture was burned in last years wildfire.
    How was your commute today?-img_20180512_132507759.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_20180512_132306398.jpg

this morning was a little more mundane. It was warm at 55F and coudy but dry. Will ride both ways in shorts in shirtsleeves for the first time this year today!

mtbr member
    Formu1fan, well done and welcome here.

Woodway, I am turning green from jealousy. Really. Put a bike on those pics and they are calendarworthy.

Nice and warm this morning, uneventful ride in and uneventful ride home in summer weather with sandals, shorts and T-shirt. But with a story in between:

[STORYTIME]
    11am a collegue comes in to tell me my rear tire is flat. I didnt notice anything wrong this morning. Anyway, shove in a sandwich during lunchbreak and went downstairs to patch it. Turns out that the tube has several cuts of ~10cm over a length of 30cm on the RIM side and one was so deep it started to leak. So again on the inside of the tube, as I usually have....and AGAIN that effin tiptop patch did not hold. I pumped up the tire and everything looked well, so I stuffed away my repairkit etc. When I was done, it started sishing....the patch had loosened enough to start leaking again. So I put the bike back in the rack to change the tube after clocking out at the end of the day, since lunchtime was over. Talked again to my collegue about thos effin' dirty hands when you have to take the chain, how dumb I am to want to buy surgery gloves for over a year and still not having done it, etc etc. So he opens up his drawer, takes out a bag and gives me two gardening gloves. He is a cyclist and motorcycle driver, so he was prepared. So took my time to change the tube after work, it took less than 30min. from clocking out to hopping on the bike to ride home. That includes going to a spot in the shade, cleaning up and stuffing away the repair kit. Thanks to the gloves I had clean hands afterwards!
    [/STORYTIME]

Moral of the story: Put some thin gloves in your repairkit NOW and not after you need them

CB of the East
    Good tip on the gloves but I'll never remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Bedwards, nice try. At least you got a PR. I scored a PR this morning that I've been chasing the last two years. Been trying to break the sub 40 minute mark on my 12.6 mile commute. Previously I managed to get to within 20 seconds but as you say it seemed like those last 20 second may as well have been an eternity. Well, this morning I crushed it. Managed it in 39:08 at 19.2 mph avg. Not bad for a fat, bald, old man on an almost 22 year old bike!!!
    Nice Work! Ahh, the commute to work time trial. I've got one of those too. 9.82 miles. Breaking 30 minutes use to be a goal. I've got it down to 25:15. I find that equipment upgrades are easier than getting younger. I should see what I can manage on my 30 year old bike. And I think being bald just means you have less wind resistance.

It's pouring right now with 10 minutes to go at work. It looks like I can stay a little late and wait for the showers to pass.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Dutchman, I have been meaning to put some surgical gloves in my pannier for years. It just never seemed to make it to the top of the list. After reading your story I went onto Amazon and ordered some.

52F and cloudy but dry this morning. Pretty easy commute.

mtbr member
    Very good woodway but I even more hope you will never need them

It rained last night but the roads were quite dry already when I left. Just very humid air, slight haze and ~10C. It was supposed to be only 20C today but the sun came out in the afternoon and temps went up to 26C. The ride home turned quite sweaty in jeans...

...and more good news here: The hightest court in Germany has finally ruled that dashcams are allowed as proof. Until now"privacy" was more important and dashcam owners could get fined for recording other people, while people that are clearly guilty got away without punishment, because there is no legal proof. They did specifiy some restrictions, like data is not allowed to be automatically saved permanently, only for 10min or so, then it should be overwritten. Recordings only should be permanently saved when pushing a dedicated button or when the dashcam records a substantial shock like in a crash. And it remains forbidden to publish footage without blurring faces, license plates etc. Finally we are getting a world here in which drivers wont't get away with anything just because their privacy is more important.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Perfect weather today and uneventful commute. Exactly how it should be

z1r, you speak German? ^^
    Ein bissel. Ich kann fast alles verstehen aber nicht sprechen.

I think I will add some latex gloves to my bag. Sooner rather than later.

Cycologist
    Facing a week plus of rainy weather. My route includes some mountain bike trails so if it rains, that's out. I figure if I ride to work and it rains before my ride home, I can hike-a-bike it but that will add a good bit of time. I'm going to try to ride Friday for Bike to Work Day; if the trails are closed I can drive part way and then ride in the rest. But that may depend on my ankle:

I considered riding yesterday but I decided I really needed to get a run in. Should have rode my bike, I ended up turning an ankle and having to limp back a mile and a half to my car. I was regretting not riding even more when I was sitting in traffic on my way home and a guy on a bike came zipping past.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ I love that zipping past feeling when overtaking long lines of cars. Bummer about your ankle.

With the nicer weather here, and it also being bike everywhere month, the roads and trails are full of cyclists which means there are proportionally more douchebags out on their bikes. On my ride home last night I saw three separate examples of douchebaggery that made me embarrassed to be a cyclist. Take a deep breath and slow down people... <sigh>

OTOH, this mornings ride was event-free. 55F, cloudy and dry.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I was regretting not riding even more when I was sitting in traffic on my way home and a guy on a bike came zipping past.
    I love when my commute takes me past a long line of stationary cars. On one section of my commute the trail is ten feet from the highway. I feel great when I fly by the long line of barely moving cars.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ I've got a section of commute that frequently backs up in the evening. I'm in a separate bike lane passing the cars. I once counted that I passed 140 cars before my path turned off the road!

Spherical Earther
    One ride all week due to schedule issues. Ugh. I can't wait for my actual retirement. This retired guy working full-time thing puts a hamper on my exercise agenda.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Ein bissel. Ich kann fast alles verstehen aber nicht sprechen.
    Und schreiben auch! Sehr gut sogar!

Nice to read something from you forster.

I dont know if it is good or bad that I seldomly ride along slow or standing traffic. At least I have my peace with little traffic. Sometimes when it is really jamming I do enjoy it of course.

Uneventful rides today.

Moderator Moderator
    I thought I'd seen most everything, but today security at work busted my bike lock, unbeknownst to me, while I sat at my desk. The story starts yesterday, when a coworker asked if she could use my lock overnight as she was not going to bring her bike home after picking it up at the shop. Sure. When I left yesterday, she had both bikes locked up with my Abus flat folder thingy. I unlocked mine, re-locked hers and rode home. This morning her bike was still there, but the adjacent spots were full, so I just took another one, leaving mine unlocked, which I am typically unconcerned about due to the location, the security, cameras etc. This afternoon another coworker left on his bike and called to tell me that he thought security was cutting through my lock, but he didn't think it was my bike, so he was not sure. Puzzled, I asked the first coworker, where is your bike? She said it was in her car as she was about to leave. And where is the lock? She said she put it back on my bike, next to hers. Oops, that was someone else's bike, who apparently found it locked when he went to leave and got security to cut it off. Understandable, an honest mistake, but still, I wonder how security determined that it actually was his bike? I mean can just anybody walk up and say hey, my bike was locked up by someone, can you cut it off for me please?

CB of the East
    ^^Seems like an honest mistake but crappy for everybody involved. I'm not sure how I could "Prove" that any of my bikes are mine if my bike were locked up with somebody else's lock. As long as they took some ID and confirmed that he belonged there I think that would be good enough. Sorry about your lock.

I get to ride past about 1 mile of stopped traffic every morning. Normally traffic moves smoothly but between 7:00-7:30 it gets backed up because of the school. I just have to be hyper aware of people pulling out of driveways or walking across the road between stopped cars and then popping out right in front of me.

Good commutes all the way around. Last time I posted I was waiting for the showers to pass. It turns out that they had more patients than me and I got wet. I took the trails yesterday for the first time since there was ice on the lake. And then this morning was bike to work day, so I did.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Bike to work day here too, so I did. 55F, cloudy and dry. Happy weekend everyone.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Bike to Work Week 2018
    ~250 miles
    1 broken chain

mtbr member
    Usual uneventful commute today. 10C in, 13C on the way home and with detour I made 30k/20m today.

B2W Day is in 2 weeks on 31 May.

apropos bikelock. Forgot mine yesterday and put my bike in the rack without a lock, just as it is always park. I already intended for a long time to put a spare bikelock in my desk at work for cases like that (Wasnt there something with gloves ?)

I am not sure how security would react to such a request in our plant. Could very well be that they wouldnt help just like that.

I have a week of vacation next week. Wife n kids are going on a 3-week health course (offered cheap via health insurence) and I will join the first week. It's in the middle of nowhere but we're taking the bikes to get around there.

Is Pentecost Monday a public holiday on the west of the Atlantic? Here it is...that will be the last of 4 in May: 1st of May is labour day, easter Friday + Monday and Pentecost Monday. From now on there is none until October 3 (re-union Day of West and East Germany)...

Happy Weekend everyone!

Edit: almost forgot rode 5 of 5 days this week.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Days Ago at 01:03 PM.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    cyclingdutchman, happy weekend, enjoy the week off.

Happy weekend to all. I too managed to ride all 5 days. Though, only three days were actual commutes. Wednesday and Thursday I have to drive the kids to school so I threw my bike in the back of the truck and rode at lunch instead.

Yesterday on my lunchtime ride I saw two geese walking across the trail with 20, yes I counted, goslings in tow. Today on my way in, I saw one dead gosling on the trail. It kinda bummed me out!

My commuter bike suddenly needed a new chain this week. Hmm, wonder how that happened, I checked it at the beginning of the year and it was still good. Got a new chain last night and couldn't install it before today's commute so I had to take my "road bike". No fenders and wouldn't you know it, it is going to start raining in the next half hour. I hate when the rear tire sprays water on my bum. But at least my bike will finally get washed!

mtbr member
    My commute was special since I rarely get a chance to do it. Reminded me how much more in touch you are with your surroundings when your on a bicycle. Had noticed this shop near where I work and decided to stop to investigate on the way home. He restores motorcycles, had a bunch more inside but it's been along time since I saw a Honda Dream anywhere. They're tiny compared to my Mukluk.
    Mole

How was your commute today?-002.jpg

How was your commute today?-003.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    hey guys feeling much much better now

I picked up my bike from the shop today the guy said he used a double wall Aluminum rim as my replacement and he reused the spokes and hub.

Now the rim is black which is good however the clincher part is silver and naked!!! the rim also uses a disk brake, he said that particular rim was all that he had in stock. Uuhhh..... this sucks!! my back wheel doesn't have a clincher because the bike is a full disk brake bike but nevertheless it is a clincher there that will never be used since the same rim has a disk brake on it maybe I should paint the clincher black? hmm

Should I worry about this clincher part rusting? I put a magnet and it has a very WEAK stick which suggests to me maybe it is a aluminum clincher? please tell me this is the case I have no idea how these wheels are made.

In stark contrast the magnet snaps on loudly to the spokes but very weak onto the rim it also holds weak onto the back rim so I am assuming the whole rim including the clincher is aluminum?

Moderator Moderator
    Nice commute Friday with a few extra miles on a dirt road due to an offsite meeting at a grange hall. If you have not heard of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...s_of_Husbandry A beautiful week but most of the weekend looks rainy. Slim pickings at the bike rack, lots of bikes this week. Had to lean mine against a handrail behind it instead.

CB of the East
    ^^Not heard of a grange hall? That's like not knowing what a church is. Our company worked out of a converted grange hall for 10 years.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...9!4d-70.332511

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1198740
    That is pretty funny!

Good weather for commuting this week! My legs are tired from the weekend which included riding to and from a 5K. Running the 5K (I still don't run). And then a 40 mile ride yesterday. Mostly my legs are sore from running a relatively small distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-capture.jpg  

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Our house in Central Washington is in a rural area and there is a nearby Grange that we are members of.

Short week for me, working only Monday through Wednesday. Thursday I am planning to ride from my place near Seattle to Central Washington. Should be quite an adventure.

CB of the East
    ^^Make sure to take your cougar whistle! It sounds like quite a trip.

mtbr member
    Nice sunrise this morning with the bonus of a hot air balloon floating over the horizon. Not a bad way to start the week.

As of yesterday, my saddle was still wet from the commutes on Thursday and Friday. We had popup showers both days with my afternoon commute getting hit both days. Popup showers and thunderstorms are in the forecast again today. I'm hoping for some better luck this afternoon

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Beautiful morning, 46F/8C, not windy, paths were clean from all the rain over the weekend. Only bad thing was I almost ran over a Gosling. I saw two geese and two goslings crossing that paths so I signaled to the rider following and slowed down until they crossed the path. Then out of no where two more goslings decided to run across the path. My tire went right between them both with only centimeters to spare. Gave me a real sick feeling in my stomach. Thankfully no animals were injured during the making of this film!

Members who have read this thread: 163