Page 234 of 622 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 244 284 334 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 15535
    weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    I was driving around last night and over the span of my 5 minute trip I saw at 4 bikes with no lights, barely visible, with chains squeaking so loudly that I could hear them from my car as I passed.
    They were clearly practitioners of that no muffler Harley "at least they can hear me" thing. If they lubed their chains, you wouldn`t know to break out the night vision scope.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Cool. Do you ride the McCarran loop? I've wondered about doing that...
    Naw, Redrock/395 couterclockwise. Ever taken Redrock Rd? It gets busy during high commute times, but otherwise not much traffic, and very nice pedalling. Upward trending rollers from the south end to the little summit, then curvy downhill through a scenic desert canyon, more rollers through a few miles of widely spaced housing development and ranches, then one last little bit of red rock bounded canyon before it ties back in with the highway. Then a stop at the junction for chocolate milk and a banana, of course
    The loop without any deviations would be just shy of 50 miles, I think. Loud traffic on 395 is a bummer, but the shoulder is about a mile wide, with rumble strip under the white line.

EDIT: A CW loop starting from the north end might be even better. The climbing would be a little bit more condensed, but it would spread out the breaks more evenly.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 04-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.

I Ride for Donuts
    I've driven Red Rock from 395 back a ways to one of the housing developments... but never the whole way into wherever it ties back into whatever it ties back into. Does it pop out in Lemmon Valley (ish)?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    The bottom end of Redrock is north of Stead, two exits past the state line. It tees into 395. Lemmon Valley Rd does tie into it, but it covers three or four miles of bumpy dirt. If you ever ride it, do yourself a favor and ride the freeway shoulder for a mile and a half between the southern Cold Springs exit and the Redrock exit. It`s legal and safe but once in a while I see misguided souls pushing bikes up a nasty dirt road along the railroad tracks- yuck! Good frontage road across Cold Springs Valley will be obvious. Satelite images stilll show a portion as unpaved, but the main road has all been paved now for several years. All in all, a lovely way to spend a half day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I hate encountering people going the wrong way in the bike lane. They always hug the inside forcing the person going the right way out into traffic. Luckily, the guy I was headed for this morning briefly moved over into a driveway to let me go by.

I have begun to sort out all of my little repair misfortunes. Last week I fixed my bottom bracket issues. Yesterday, I replaced the spring axle in my Time Aliums. Since the tapered end was loose inside the pedal, I had to slide the one axle out a ways, cut it with a hack saw, and push it back out the other way. One of the cleat screws on my shoes was stripped, so I sawed a groove in the top and was able to get the screw out with a screwdriver and a hammer. I hope my luck starts to improve.

Moderator Moderator
    A great commute, 55F and dry, and the quarry trails opened Saturday so I am back on the singletrack for the 2nd half of the commute. The trails are crazy dry for April, dry roots, rocks, super grippy and muck holes are very rare. My route today took me on Lower Mainline, Littlejohn, Rambler, Scrambler, Ridgerunner, Locomotion & Serenity. Littlejohn added this optional feature…it doesn’t look too hard but those exposed bolts are intimidating, so I took the alternate route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p4171838.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4171834.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p4171835.jpg  

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^Cool trails. Nice to have that on your commute. Better get your tetanus booster before attempting the bolt route. Is that a bike park? The trails are amazingly dry around here for this time of year and the lakes are low too. Not good for wells. I'm planting my garden as a hedge against riding in the rain.

Incredible weather today. Leaving at noon again.

I Ride for Donuts
    Thanks for the directions Rodar.

The unthinkable happened this morning. I saw, caught, and rode most of the way to work with another bike commuter. Considering the solitude of my commute for the past 6 or 7 years, this is like haley's comet falling out of the sky and landing in my front yard.

He was slower than me though. And I felt obligated to keep a converstation going. I was stoked someone else was out there, and and at the same time I was trying to figure out how to protect my solitude

MTB, Road, Commuting
    That is pretty incredible for somebody that sometimes only sees 6 cars in a trip. I see quite a few cars but have never seen a bike commuter going in the same direction as me. Once an a while I'll see one going the the other direction.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Cool trails. Nice to have that on your commute. Better get your tetanus booster before attempting the bolt route. Is that a bike park? ...Incredible weather today. Leaving at noon again.
    It's a trail system, Millstone Trails Association . While they charge $10/day, it is only $40 for a season pass (April-Oct), quite a bargain! On the map below, I can choose any of the trails (in red) from E Barre at the NE to Graniteville Rd., right near the biggest quarry (looks like a big lake on the map).

Enjoy the afternoon and good luck with the garden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-millstonemap.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar have you seen the forecast?!?! There are 7's ! And not like 37 or 47, but the 7 is the first number! Seriously! You have to see this!

weirdo
    Sock, maybe you could move in with J Seko and you`d both feel luckier by comparison somehow

Wow, that looks like a lot of trails, Xplorer! I have no idea of the scale, though. Looks like it connects four towns together !?! How far is the spread?

Welcome, CB. I have been watching the forecast, but I`m finding it easy not to get too excited given the recent habit of promising beautiful weekends that go to hell in a handbasket. Is your new commuter recently moved to the area, or just recently started riding to work? Look like he`ll stick with it?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wow, that looks like a lot of trails, Xplorer! I have no idea of the scale, though. Looks like it connects four towns together !?! How far is the spread?
    They say it has 70 miles of trails, but it's pretty compact with squirrely trails, it's only 2.5 miles by road from E Barre village to work in Upper Graniteville. All 4 villages are legally part of "Barre Town", the actual legal municipality. And "Barre Town" surrounds but is governed separately from "Barre City", the downtown I used to go through on my old commute. Yep, that means our plows will go through but not plow in Barre City.

mtbr member
    Nice ride today. Did a right turn with only a little slowing at the T intersection 0.7 mi form home just as a light-bar-less SUV with Indiana State Police badge on door approached the stop from my right. No, he didn't even bother with the bull horn, CB, unlike in your case. Guess you are special, but you knew that, right? Might have been different if he was headed my way, or a proper cruiser.

First town trip mostly in the 48 big ring. WInd at 5 mph or less may be the bigger factor, but I am hoping this is the beginning of real recovery. I signed up for a Habitat 500 ride in less than a month, so I got to get the miles up or I'll be using the SAG a lot! Got to get the calluses fully in place at least!

BrianMc

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Had a 15 to 25 MPH headwind the entire ride home. This was my first commute on my single speed. It gave me a bit more of a workout than expected, but that's okay.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

tiring......

Going to work was nice with a 30 km/h tailwind. 43 minutes.

The ride home was into the same wind but it had slowed to 20 km/h so it wasn't too too bad. I took the car yesterday; the winds were 50 sustained with gusts to 70....

On the way home today I stopped for milk and cheese and had lots of room in my new MEC pannier. The potato soup is almost ready!

This commuting thing is crazy; I've ridden my bike 26 times in one month.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post

Drew

weirdo
    Bedwards`s "geek sheet" results left me pounding my head, and really mixed up, so I finally started keeping my own time/speed records for this week. Hope I can manage to stick with it long enough to get some kind of useful data. I plan to use the same bike, changing between fat, stiff and heavy tires and light, nimble, skinny tires on a weeekly basis. I think three rounds of one week per tire type should start showing a trend. Two commutes on paper is a start, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I signed up for a Habitat 500 ride in less than a month, so I got to get the miles up or I'll be using the SAG a lot! Got to get the calluses fully in place at least!
    Make sure to work up plenty of those calluses in the right places
    How long does the ride take? At least a week, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Had a 15 to 25 MPH headwind the entire ride home. This was my first commute on my single speed. It gave me a bit more of a workout than expected, but that's okay.
    Cool. First period, or just the first time on SS?

Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    ...with two weeks still to go. You`ll probably be over 40 rides by the end

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Cool. First period, or just the first time on SS?

It was my first commute on a SS. The wind did not cooperate, and my backpack was extra full. It actually felt good to huff and puff after the ride.

I try to commute 1 or 2 days a week from March/April through October/November.

mtbr member
    Rodar: 1 week, and it is only 359 miles, not 500 and not as glacially hilly as Minnesota.

Route: Cover Indiana Bicycle Tour

Not returning to the start point means being dropped off and picked up. I need a rack for the car. I can fit my bike in with two people, but a third person and/or two bikes is an issue and I have no trailer hitch to use one of that ilk. I had a trunk mount one with straps bought in 1980, but it was not the best (understatement) so was recycled for its metal content a decade ago. Anyone have a recommendation for a trunk mount? (2005 Mercury Montego AWD CVT aka Ford Five Hundred evolved into the new Taurus).

I did the Minnesota HFH500 in 2009 before the heavy metal stuff really got to me but I was already having food intolerances and gluten free makes carbo loading a problem, to say the least. On that ride the fourth day was a century, The average was about 70, 509 total if you did the Century (I did).

Saddle time is needed to avoid becoming saddle sore. I did 200 and 250 miles in the weeks before that 500. That degree of training is not required.

BrianMc

Ridin' Furry
    Got chased by a tailless german shepard & a huge black lab on a native reservation here in CA. The shep came from behind almost biting me and the lab cut me off on a hill lol....

I was ready for a fight but they were nice dogs "thankfully" after stopping.

Was shaking like a leaf after that so i got some extra cardio!

weirdo
    ^^Both dogs at the same time, one at each end? That does sound scary.

Should be a piece of cake, Brian. And a lot nicer with that small group than the big circus rides like RAGBRAI, I bet.

Trunk racks sure come in handy. We bought one several years ago in order to tote our bikes along on a two week vacation. Don`t use it on a weekly basis, but it doesn`t take up a lot of space or screw up FE when not being used. Ours is a Yakima King Joe 2 and sturdy enough that I feel safe even with one tandem or our two porker singles hanging off the back of the car. The locks for the rotating arms are little bit of a hassle to get unlocked simultaneously without an extra set of hands, but I`ve been happy with the purchase. The only other rack I`ve messed with was a piece of crap we bought from X-Mart and I took it back as soon as I saw it out of the box- no way I was going to trust it. My guess is that any of the $100 to $200 Thule or Saris models would be plenty durable and reliable also, maybe a little bit easier to fold and unfold.

MTB, Road, Commuting

5 days, 5 bikes

Should be a piece of cake, Brian....
    A really big piece of cake, the kind of piece where you get to the end and say: "Why did I eat so much cake" Should be fun though. I don't think I've ever done that many miles in one week.

Bedwards`s "geek sheet" results left me pounding my head, and really mixed up, so I finally started keeping my own time/speed records for this week. Hope I can manage to stick with it long enough to get some kind of useful data. I plan to use the same bike, changing between fat, stiff and heavy tires and light, nimble, skinny tires on a weeekly basis. I think three rounds of one week per tire type should start showing a trend. Two commutes on paper is a start, eh?
    I don't know that the data is useful. I mostly do it to keep a log of my auto miles saved so i know how much I can spend on bike parts. I just added the other columns over the years and let excel do the work. The one thing you really can't account for is the wind. Last night's trip home on my "fastest" bike at a good clip was 17mph but Ive done it at 22 on my "slower" road bike.

I've used a different bike for each of my last 5 commutes. Today's included the mountain bike. I found a trail that lets me ride about 1/3 trails and no major roads and doesn't add any miles to my trip. It does add some time, especially when I have to stop and take pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-2012-04-18-07.16.25.jpg  

How was your commute today?-2012-04-18-07.16.54.jpg  

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Take the inside.

If the salmon is hugging the curb or inside line, you can too. Don't move, even if you have to stop. The salmon can at least see the oncoming traffic. Plus, in the States, the far right is where traffic is expected to travel.

[QUOTE=s0ckeyeus;9216283]I hate encountering people going the wrong way in the bike lane. They always hug the inside forcing the person going the right way out into traffic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=cjohnson;9220462]If the salmon is hugging the curb or inside line, you can too. Don't move, even if you have to stop. The salmon can at least see the oncoming traffic. Plus, in the States, the far right is where traffic is expected to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I hate encountering people going the wrong way in the bike lane. They always hug the inside forcing the person going the right way out into traffic.
    We have several bike lanes that are two way on the one side of the road....

They were contverted after several years because lots of cyclists rode them that way....

Kinda of an organic planning system works pretty well....

I Ride for Donuts
    No commuting buddy today. I think he'll be somewhat consistent, but probably not regular at my time. I'm very consistent with my departure times, and I got the impression that he doesn't need to be. Hope he sticks with it....

Had a noteworthy wildlife encounter today. There was a herd of deer in a field just off of the road (very very common), but there was one young, small deer doing that head down/headbutt deer fight thing....with a canadian goose! No joke. There were two geese standing there, and the one engaged with the deer had his wings spread out a little big and was not backing down. There must have been some good food right there or something. I have never seen those two species interact.